PDA

View Full Version : I'm watching the 1990 Tintin cartoon!

Cliffjumper
2009-10-03, 08:34 PM
Great fun, especially spotting all the bits that have blatantly been dropped for being a bit dodgy. Which is a bit weird - they can leave Tintin pistol-whipping bad guys, getting up in blackface and getting smashed in the comics, but have to cut them for the cartoon? Still, good job, and they cut out most of "Tintin in America" and skipped the two that are solid with racism altogether... though they also cut all the best bits out of my favourite one, "Tintin and the Broken Ear".

I think they've literally traced the books for most of it, too. From memory, aside from the aforementioned blackface disguise, every single character model is retained. Cracking stuff! Just a shame that Snowy's silent. Anyone else seen it? (Clue - it's not the HERRR-JAY'S AAAADVENCHURES OF TIN-TIN! one)

inflatable dalek
2009-10-06, 07:07 PM
Well, I'm not sure which of the cartoons it was but we did use to have the one where a big asteroid approaching Earth causes a heatwave and I think some nasty spider aliens showed up. Possibly. It's been a long time...

Cliffjumper
2009-10-06, 07:24 PM
That sounds less than faithful. The first half of your sentence sounds like The Shooting Star (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shooting_Star) (in the running for the weakest book, along with the first three and the one where Herge didn't give a shit anymore). The second half of your sentence is just mental.

inflatable dalek
2009-10-06, 07:36 PM
I remember the exploding mushrooms, nothing about the sea voyage though, I recall it mainly being set round an observatory. I suppose the spider's might be me mixing it up with somethign else (I'm sure they came out of the mushrooms, which I know is a bit Full Circle but this predates me seeing that by a long way). I kinda hope it does come from a really unfaithful adaptation rather than being the invention of my mind, I remember it being rather good.

Cliffjumper
2009-10-06, 07:41 PM
Well, apparently the 1960s ones (i.e. the ones that were basically Channel 4's entire school holiday programming at one point) tend to start off fairly faithful to the book, then wander off and do whatever they like, so it's possible. I can't get past the awful dub and 2-frames-a-minute animation to find out how bad they get, though.

inflatable dalek
2009-10-06, 07:45 PM
But it had space spiders! And the Thompson Twins seemed to have wandered in from Allo Allo. It's probably better than the Spielberg film will be.

Cliffjumper
2009-10-06, 07:54 PM
I could shit on the floor and it'd be better than the Spielberg film will be.

As with Watchmen, I'm highly skeptical of the need for a Tintin film. It's a completed work done to suit a certain medium which it fits perfectly, nothing good can come of throwing it open to the illerate and moronic. It'll be full of bullet time, montages set to shit songs and huge lashings of Missed The ****ing Point, you watch.

inflatable dalek
2009-10-06, 08:00 PM
Is it actually based on one of the books or a new adventure for him? I'm assuming they're not starting with the "Titin ****s up Africa" one.

Cliffjumper
2009-10-06, 08:24 PM
Yeh, it's starting off with the first three Haddock stories - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin:_Secret_of_the_Unicorn - which should at least, in theory, give them two hours' worth of story without having to make much up.

Which is a shame, as the first three would have been hilarious ("...in America" is a bit racist, but the massive, massive historical inaccuracies like the Wild West co-existing with Al Capone take most of the attention away from it).

Cliffjumper
2009-10-11, 08:34 PM
Bollocks for my memory - Shooting Star does feature a scare about giant spiders as a random joke when one crawls over the space telescope's lense. What can I say, it's not one of my favourites (despite it being a Haddock's-given-a-boat story, which usually made him Not An Idiot)

inflatable dalek
2009-10-12, 06:24 AM
Well there you go, I've managed to extract an entire alien spider subplot from a throwaway gag. Go me.