PDA

View Full Version : All Hail Megatron #13-16 / Vol. 4 TPB

zigzagger
2009-07-20, 06:52 AM
...Annnd it continues. Two stories - one about Optimus Prime and Ironhide, the other about the Decepticons probing the mysteries of the Matrix - that will set the stage for things to come. This is your All Hail Megatron #13 reaction and discussion thread.

Share your love and/or hate with us.

Scheduled for July 22nd.

Check out the preview pages @ comicscontinuum.com (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0907/16/idwfirsts.htm).

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/8118/ahm13page1.th.jpg (http://img103.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ahm13page1.jpg)http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/3397/ahm13page2.th.jpg (http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ahm13page2.jpg)http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/5222/ahm13page3.th.jpg (http://img158.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ahm13page3.jpg)http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/4421/ahm13page4.th.jpg (http://img106.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ahm13page4.jpg)http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6260/ahm13page5.th.jpg (http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ahm13page5.jpg)

Blackjack
2009-07-20, 10:38 AM
I don't think I like Ironhide's face in here.

My money's for Undertow, Boxcar and the other names we've never heard before dying.

Commander Shockwav
2009-07-24, 03:42 AM
First, the Simon story featuring Ironhide and Prime. Artwork nice, story throw away and generic. Give it a "C".

But the Costa story featuring Starscream? Fantastic! This guy is "The One", I just know it, just from these few pages.

The dialogue was very clever, the best from IDW yet. Starscream's monologue was excellent, as was his interaction with Soundwave. Loved the swipe at the animated movie when Starscream muses "if I throw Megatron out the airlock, something tells me he'd just come back more powerful than ever." Loved that.

And the art on that Starscream story? I'd say it's the best since E.J.'s painted Sideswipe story. If these guys were on the ongoing, I don't think I could be any happier.

If this is what we have in store for us, I'm stoked. Give it an "A+".

Please IDW, let Costa try the ongoing. I'm here at Comicon. Eagerly anticipating the announcement of who will tackle the ongoing.

StarscreamX
2009-07-24, 03:02 PM
Agreed, the Starscream story was the best part of the issue and not I'm not just saying that because I'm a Con fan.

Starscream himself was written excellently and I liked his little internal monolouge. It's nice to see this Starscream is practical enough to realise that, all by himself, he's not going to get the Decepticons to rally around him because he is, frankly, not the most impressive of figures.

I can't help but wonder: Is it possible that the Matrix Prime was carrying around is a FAKE? And perhaps the REAL Matrix is the mysterious object that Metroplex is guarding?

Think about it. There's no reason the Matrix should work for the Autobots and not the Cons, given that in this universe it's a personal decision, not a fundamental difference. There all, at heart (Spark?) the same species so unless the Matrix is sentient (Which seems unlikely as we've been told we won't be getting the Primus/Unicron mysticism in this universe) why shouldn't the Decepticons be able to make use of it?

So either A: it never had any power at all, as Starscream believes and it was all some massive ruse, some form of propaganda to rally the Autobots around, just as Starscream is now using it to earn the respect of his troops or B: it's not the real Matrix.

And if B is the right answer, my money is on the real one being the mystery cargo that Metroplex is so desperate to protect. After all the Autobots apparently have some freaky religious reverence for it, maybe when the war broke out Prime decided it wasn't safe on Cybertron anymore and, in the event of his death there was too much of a risk of it falling into Decepticon hands?

So he entrusts it to the one guy who can fight any foe, a city sized behemoth whose also apparently very good at hiding himself, until the event that the war ends in Autobot victory.

Also just like to say that I'm glad we're apparently going to be seeing the Predacons show up soon, given Starscream says they'll be meeting up with Razorclaw. And I loved Starscream's "I'm screwed" pose at the end of the story, as he's no doubt wondering what will happen when the Decepticons he's misled find out that the Matrix has no power and he loses their respect and, most likely, their loyalty too.

Blackjack
2009-07-25, 03:02 AM
-looks at preview pages- Wait a minute. Isn't Motorhead a Decepticon Micromaster?

Unicron
2009-07-25, 05:23 AM
I had gotten the (possibly mistaken) impression that the Matrix was affecting Starscream, influencing him. I mean, to me it appeared like his view of what the Matrix was and it's worth was gradually shifting over the time he was talking about it, leading up to him attempting to dump the thing out an airlock when Shrapnel interrupted him. And he seemed to snap out of that once Shrapnel found him (of course, it could be that Starscream suddenly realized it could be a rallying point). Similarly, the last few panels looked less like "I'm screwed" and more like it was starting to wear away at him.

Incidently, how would Shrapnel know about the Matrix when he was seemingly created fairly recently?

StarscreamX
2009-07-25, 02:02 PM
Presumably Shrapnel has been educated on the history of the Autobot/Decepticon war, including the Matrix and it's connection to the Autobots.

Xed51
2009-07-26, 01:26 PM
First, the Simon story featuring Ironhide and Prime. Artwork nice, story throw away and generic. Give it a "C".

But the Costa story featuring Starscream? Fantastic! This guy is "The One", I just know it, just from these few pages.

The dialogue was very clever, the best from IDW yet. Starscream's monologue was excellent, as was his interaction with Soundwave. Loved the swipe at the animated movie when Starscream muses "if I throw Megatron out the airlock, something tells me he'd just come back more powerful than ever." Loved that.

And the art on that Starscream story? I'd say it's the best since E.J.'s painted Sideswipe story. If these guys were on the ongoing, I don't think I could be any happier.

If this is what we have in store for us, I'm stoked. Give it an "A+".

Please IDW, let Costa try the ongoing. I'm here at Comicon. Eagerly anticipating the announcement of who will tackle the ongoing.
Exactly my toughts. After 12 months of McCarthy, Costa's story is like the best thing in the world. I didn't like Furman's story very much. 15 panels for: "Prime I want to quit" "no you don't" "oh ok"
I heard that Figueroa will draw the ongoing tought. I don't know if it's true, but I'd love that.
I had gotten the (possibly mistaken) impression that the Matrix was affecting Starscream, influencing him. I mean, to me it appeared like his view of what the Matrix was and it's worth was gradually shifting over the time he was talking about it, leading up to him attempting to dump the thing out an airlock when Shrapnel interrupted him. And he seemed to snap out of that once Shrapnel found him (of course, it could be that Starscream suddenly realized it could be a rallying point). Similarly, the last few panels looked less like "I'm screwed" and more like it was starting to wear away at him.

Yeah I had the same impression. Maybe the Matrix was influencing Starscream like it did in the G2 comics.

Denyer
2009-07-27, 11:17 AM
Decent. It's probably unreasonable to expect things to gain all that much renewed direction in one issue. Art side of things looks good, references to both the Sonic Canyons and TF:TM without beating anyone over the head with them too much, and both Furman and Costa seem to be trying to get characterisation into the dialogue that isn't just techspec-appropriate soundbytes, gratuitous posing or cliché.

edit: Looking elsewhere, glad to see I'm not the only one snapped out of the fiction slightly by the fact Astrotrain's now apparently got a small mall complex stuck up his arse to unfold when he transforms...

Xed51
2009-07-29, 01:44 PM
About the Matrix, I was wondering, is it possible that the Matrix was passed from Nova Prime to Optimus when he died? Maybe the Darkness was situated in the Matrix, and when he gave it to Galvatron the Matrix was, I don't know, purified? It's the only way I can explain why he has the Matrix in AHM and he doesent in Escalation (where Megatron opens Prime's chest in the same exact point where it should be, and apparently doesen't even search for it.)

It hasn't been created recently anyway, it was mentioned in Spotlight: OP

AndyTurnbull
2009-07-29, 01:50 PM
I enjoyed this issue and Mike Costa seemed to have a good handle on Starscream. I wish Chee's art had been in black and white though. Looked really good.

Andy

StarscreamX
2009-07-29, 09:38 PM
About the Matrix, I was wondering, is it possible that the Matrix was passed from Nova Prime to Optimus when he died? Maybe the Darkness was situated in the Matrix, and when he gave it to Galvatron the Matrix was, I don't know, purified? It's the only way I can explain why he has the Matrix in AHM and he doesent in Escalation (where Megatron opens Prime's chest in the same exact point where it should be, and apparently doesen't even search for it.)

It hasn't been created recently anyway, it was mentioned in Spotlight: OP

Prime did have the Matrix post "The First ARK" incident as it can be seen in his chest in one of the Stormbringer flashbacks. And as for Megatron not taking the Matrix from Prime during Escalation, at the time he was high on Ore 13 which, in addition to making you stronger, seems to make a transformer cockier and more arogant as well. He probably figured as Prime was dead (Or so he thought) he had plenty of time to go back for it once he'd dealt with the living Autobots left behind.

Xed51
2009-07-30, 12:09 PM
Prime did have the Matrix post "The First ARK" incident as it can be seen in his chest in one of the Stormbringer flashbacks. And as for Megatron not taking the Matrix from Prime during Escalation, at the time he was high on Ore 13 which, in addition to making you stronger, seems to make a transformer cockier and more arogant as well. He probably figured as Prime was dead (Or so he thought) he had plenty of time to go back for it once he'd dealt with the living Autobots left behind.
Eh, I forgot about Stormbringer's flashback. So the Matrix was supposed to be in Prime's chest from the beginning? I tought they just came out with it in AHM to please GEEWUN fans. Your explanation surely makes more sense than mine.

borg72
2009-08-01, 09:58 AM
best issue in frickin' ages. uneasy lies the head has some of the best art and imagery i've sen in a long time, all married with some truly excellent dialogue. megatron on life support surounded by soundwave and 'his children' was a poster-worthy frame in itself, and i love how the matrix seems to have an 'anti-lotr ring' power to it. precious wants to go back to autobots...

inflatable dalek
2009-08-07, 05:07 PM
Better than any of the first 12 issues. The first story is slight, you don't believe for a second Ironhide is off and to be honest it feels more like he's trying to avoid blame for Mirage. But it's told well enough and Don's art is fine (and those those moaning of his "new" direction don't forget this is the guy who gave Masterpiece Prime a mouth long before the films). As much as I dislike McCarthy's work I'm not sure diregarding his work on Prime and Ironhide (bestest friends before he became Prime) so soon was a good idea though, especially as minimal rewriting could have kept the stories lined up- Have the opening flashback before Optimus became Prime and use the Spotlight Blurr design.

The Starscream story was a bit of a surprise return to the Brad Mick school of writing, "When in doubt use great big chunks of the 86 film". It was enjoyable enough but that needs to be very much a one off rather than the ongoing just gving dried up rehashes. And as above, would it really have been so hard to write Starscream in keeping with AHM? It was stupid but the "Starscream's own agenda" stuff is even more old and tired.

StarscreamX
2009-08-07, 10:07 PM
Better than any of the first 12 issues. The first story is slight, you don't believe for a second Ironhide is off and to be honest it feels more like he's trying to avoid blame for Mirage. But it's told well enough and Don's art is fine (and those those moaning of his "new" direction don't forget this is the guy who gave Masterpiece Prime a mouth long before the films). As much as I dislike McCarthy's work I'm not sure diregarding his work on Prime and Ironhide (bestest friends before he became Prime) so soon was a good idea though, especially as minimal rewriting could have kept the stories lined up- Have the opening flashback before Optimus became Prime and use the Spotlight Blurr design.

The Starscream story was a bit of a surprise return to the Brad Mick school of writing, "When in doubt use great big chunks of the 86 film". It was enjoyable enough but that needs to be very much a one off rather than the ongoing just gving dried up rehashes. And as above, would it really have been so hard to write Starscream in keeping with AHM? It was stupid but the "Starscream's own agenda" stuff is even more old and tired.

I'm sorry but beyond superficial simmilarities how was this a "Re-hash" of the 86 film? The only nod to it was Starscream's off-handed comment about tossing Megatron out the airlock, which barely counts as a fandom nod let alone a "Re-hash". And how was Starscream any different than how he was in AHM? He's still a power hungry schemer who wants to lead the Decepticons, just as he was throughout AHM, the "Ation" minis and in fact pretty much every comics series since the tail end of G1. Yes it may be stereotypical but the blame for that characterisation can't be laid at the writer of this particular stories door. At least he wrote Screamer as being a bit smarter about his plans than the "Soon I will lead the Decepticons" cartoon character.

inflatable dalek
2009-08-07, 10:40 PM
I'm sorry but beyond superficial simmilarities how was this a "Re-hash" of the 86 film? The only nod to it was Starscream's off-handed comment about tossing Megatron out the airlock, which barely counts as a fandom nod let alone a "Re-hash".

Well, lets see... The Decepticons fleeing a city in ruins on Earth having bizarely run away from a situation they were winning, with Starscream in charge and Megatron barely alive. Some "hilarious" references to lines from the film (there's also the one about Megatron ceasing to function. Just a month after a similar gag in Spotlgiht: Metroplex so I guess the editor isn't reading the comics). Followed by various political machinations with Starscream ultimately taking leadership. Involving just about exactly the same cast (Refelctor is I think the only addtion) on-board an Astrotrain who's bigger on the inside.At best you could call it an extended homage to the Astrotrain scenes in the film. Hopefully that will turn out to be the case rather than the Brad Mick option of creative bankruptcy.

And how was Starscream any different than how he was in AHM? He's still a power hungry schemer who wants to lead the Decepticons, just as he was throughout AHM, the "Ation" minis and in fact pretty much every comics series since the tail end of G1. Yes it may be stereotypical but the blame for that characterisation can't be laid at the writer of this particular stories door. At least he wrote Screamer as being a bit smarter about his plans than the "Soon I will lead the Decepticons" cartoon character.

Starscream at the end of All Hail Megatron had renounced his old ways and thrown himself fully behind Megatron. Seeminlgy genuinely as well as he could have easily just left declared Megatron dead and run off with everyone else at a point where no one was going to disagree with him because the Chuck Jones designed bomb was falling towards them. Here that entire epiphany seems to have been completely forgotten about. Yes it was badly written but it gave the chance to leave the more tired stuff behind. Plus following Devastation it's no less than the second U-turn Starscream has had after declaring himself fully loyal. Boys got a yo-yo problem.

EDIT: And all that's without mentioning the more general film reference of having a character with the Matrix on a chain on his neck.

And we can blame the writers for his poor and inconsistant characterisation, and the use of the clichés. Pre-Underbase in the Marvel run there's barely any more than sarky talk from him (counting the UK stuff there's Enemy Within and Time Wars for both of which he gets so badly punished/betrayed in turn he keeps his place pretty well for a long time afterwards. For the US there's really no outright treason before that). For all its other flaws, when you're reading in sequence Starscream making his big big move feels like a special event, a pot that's been boiling for a long time. Helped by the fact he very nearly gets away with it. Of course, they went to the well to many times after that with his every return, but holding off on it worked in that instance.

Commander Shockwav
2009-08-10, 06:59 PM
Guess you missed the point of Starscream's sarcastic statement about Megatron just returning if he tossed him out the airlock. That wasn't a rehash. That was poking fun at the '86 film.

And AHM didn't exist. Neither did M:O.

So why bother comparing this Starscream to one that never happened.

inflatable dalek
2009-08-10, 08:22 PM
Guess you missed the point of Starscream's sarcastic statement about Megatron just returning if he tossed him out the airlock. That wasn't a rehash. That was poking fun at the '86 film.

I did notice it because it was such a dreadful, forced line. It just screamed author voice rather than something Starscream might actually say. All for the sake of a crappy self referential joke.

Thing is, that Starscrewm did happen. It happened only last month in the previous issue of the same title. At least they just gradually let M:O slip off the radar, completely changing his character in consequtive issues just damages him. And is that going to be IDW's solution to every problem? "That isn't working, time for another soft reboot that sort of half arsedly ignores some but not all of what we've done up till now".

Looking at it, you know what would have made the story work more, even with the same characterisation and plot? Doing it from Soundwave's POV. If we're going to have him as the loyal stooge then getting inside his head as that loyalty is tested is more interesting than the same old Starscream stuff. What does he think of seeing his leader/idol struck low? How tempted was he by Starscreams offer? Does he suspect at the end he's bluffing?

Halfshell
2009-08-11, 08:01 AM
I tried reading this. I got about four pages into Optimus and Ironhide's Zombie-faced Flashback of Doom before I got bored and went back to watching The Wire.

Anybody want to give me a compelling reason why I should give the issue a second chance? Does anything actually happen in it, for a start? Is there anything more the the first story than "well I used to hate you, but it's all over now"? Is there anything to the second story beyond Decepticons sitting down and rehashing a bit of TF:TM in the way that the ____ Movie franchise thinks passes for satire?

[edit]

Er, because this is the AHM Starscream? Because this is #13 of AHM? That's some pretty ****ing effective revisionist continuity you've got going on if you can actually discard an entire sub-series as non-canonical in relation to the events of the same damn series.

inflatable dalek
2009-08-11, 08:17 AM
Anybody want to give me a compelling reason why I should give the issue a second chance? Does anything actually happen in it, for a start? Is there anything more the the first story than "well I used to hate you, but it's all over now"? Is there anything to the second story beyond Decepticons sitting down and rehashing a bit of TF:TM in the way that the ____ Movie franchise thinks passes for satire?

In short: No.

What's especially annoying is that of all the various lose ends needing tying up (Ore 13, the next President as a facsimile, Skywatch, what the EvilU did next, Soundwave's lobotomy ect) they start the extension (and actually, plus points for dropping the Coda nonsense and just going with AHM 13 though) whith two bits of business that could have been dealt with in a page a piece of the ongoing. Or not at all in Ironhide's case, his little arc was effectively ended when Mirage jumped in to save his life in a clichéd way from the Swarm, hence him not doing anything for the last few issues.

Er, because this is the AHM Starscream? Because this is #13 of AHM? That's some pretty ****ing effective revisionist continuity you've got going on if you can actually discard an entire sub-series as non-canonical in relation to the events of the same damn series.

The fact "AHM Didn't happen" comes from the guy who liked it probably says more about its qualities than anything else could.

Commander Shockwav
2009-08-11, 07:37 PM
That's some pretty ****ing effective revisionist continuity you've got going on if you can actually discard an entire sub-series as non-canonical in relation to the events of the same damn series.

I do what I must.

AHM doesn't exist. Neither do you.

The fact "AHM Didn't happen" comes from the guy who liked it probably says more about its qualities than anything else could.

Liked it? Here is my review on Transfans of what would have been called AHM had it existed:

Would you believe it's been twenty-five years since the first Transformers figure hit toy shelves across the U.S.? Three comic book publishers have held the license since that time, and we currently find the property in the hands of thriving comic book publisher IDW.

IDW's most recent stab at everyone's favorite bots, a 12-issue story written by Shane McCarthy entitled All Hail Megatron, has come to it's conclusion. All Hail Megatron aimed to please both the fan who had been on board from the beginning and the new fan unfamiliar with the storyline IDW had thus far crafted under the helm of Transformers comic legend Simon Furman. Understandably, there was some hesitance on the part of many of the hardcore TF comic fans upon hearing about a change of writer. They were comfortable with what Furman had been producing up to this point. After all, Furman has played an integral part in shaping the Transformers world since the 80's. Why shake things up now?

Shane McCarthy was an unfamiliar name to me, despite his prior experience as a comic book writer, tackling such properties as Batman for D.C in the past. I had some mixed feelings when I heard that someone who had never written a Transformers comic was writing IDW's most ambitious Transformers project to date. It was the same feeling I had when the news was announced that IDW had landed the Transformers property. I remember asking "IDW? Who the heck is IDW?"

However, after three years of carrying the Transformers mantle, IDW has shown it could deliver the goods. So I asked myself, why not their new choice in writer McCarthy? Despite some concern, I was excited by the prospect that some new blood was being mixed into the pool of writers, that we were potentially breaking the Simon Furman mold that, while good in it's own way, was growing stale by some fan's estimation, and purportedly, by sales as well. McCarthy intended to deliver a fresh story that would focus on the journey of the individual, a story that would be more character-driven, and would delve deeper into the inner workings of Decepticon leader Megatron.

So after reading the final issue #12, which hit the stands only weeks ago, how do things pan out? Does All Hail Megatron give us something new, something we haven't seen before? Was the payoff in the end worth the year-long wait?

Unfortunately, All Hail Megatron is a story that promised much but doesn't quite live up to the hype. I was anticipating this story might provide us more of an understanding as to why Megatron is both feared and respected throughout the galaxy, a reason beyond his dictatorial imposition of power over the lesser beings of the universe that we have seen played out in cartoon, comic, and movie format time and time again. You might surmise that, with a title like All Hail Megatron, the story would conclude with the reader garnering more of an appreciation for the Decepticon leader.

Do we get this? Not even close. Instead, we are given a Megatron that changes with almost each issue, going from somewhat aloof to strategically scientific back to rash generic power-hungry bad guy by story's end. The reader is left asking "So....why hail Megatron again?" This becomes even more of a question in the final issue when he is incapacitated by a single shot to the face by a human-constructed weapon of Decepticon origin. It is only the new found grudging respect that his second-in-command Starscream suddenly has for his leader that saves Megatron in the end. All Hail Megatron, indeed. Not the ended I expected for the protagonist of this story.

Other questions. What exactly was Megatron trying to accomplish by invading Earth? What was so special about Earth in this seemingly intergalactic war? If Earth was so important to the Decepticon cause, why did Megatron simply want to give it up in the end? What was the point? The reader is left wondering, after twelve months, why these most basic of questions are left unanswered. In addition, the conclusion holds too many similarities to a story written by Chris Sarracini entitled Prime Directive back when now defunct publisher Dreamwave held the license. This further detracts from any freshness this story might have had to a longtime reader of Transformers comics like myself.

If the unclear motivation of Megatron is the story's most glaring flaw, then certainly a close second is the ridiculously slow pacing the reader has to endure. AHM is six issues too long. This is a story that could easily have fit into the space of six issues, and been better off for it. The story just sort of languishes for the first few issues, going nowhere fast. Transformers fans aren't known for their patience. Apparently, someone forgot to tell McCarthy. In one sequence of events, the Autobots trapped on Cybertron seem to bicker with each other for what seems like an eternity, given much more page time than it should have been.

In fairness to Shane, it's no easy task to bring something new to the Transformers table, a table fans have been rabidly indulging in for twenty-five years. Just ask Eric Holmes, who penned IDW's much maligned Megatron:Origin miniseries. In the early interviews prior to the release of AHM, McCarthy's ideas about where he wanted to take things and how he wanted to handle the license showed promise. I was admittedly excited by the prospect of getting a story that focused on the individual journey Megatron might take, a story that fleshed him out a bit more. However, we all carry ideas with us that might be exciting and intriguing in theory, but can fall flat if not executed into a well-written cohesive story format that others can appreciate. It's all in the delivery.

I found McCarthy's dialogue to be the best part of his writing. He knows how to make each character distinct from the next, infusing varying personalities into the cast. This is something I felt has been lacking from Furman's writing. Some fans might complain Shane follows the toy tech specs too closely, but I personally don't have a problem with this. It's a refreshing departure from Furman's approach, where he can be faulted for making many of the characters sound and act the same.

In terms of character development, there are a few pivotal moments in the story, such as the events involving Sunstreaker, that I feel had some real impact on past and potential future events. Characters like Kup and Starscream are well written. There are some nice humorous moments throughout as the cast interacts with one another. This is one of the story's biggest positives. On the flip side, it does have it's share of woeful character moments too. Take Autobot leader Optimus Prime's return towards the end of the story. It's an example of how, in theory it should really hit home, but in execution the writing here can only be described as annoyingly lazy. Fortunately, these kinds of moments are infrequent, though they do detract from the story.

Also on the plus side, artist Guido Guidi is consistently strong throughout the series. His clean lines make things easily decipherable and crisp. The best thing about AHM, in my opinion, were the lovely abstract Trevor Hutchinson covers. Yummy.

I give it a "C". An average story that is painfully protracted yet interspersed with a few strong character moments and supported by some visually pleasing art that, in the end, might make fans feel it's worth the effort.

inflatable dalek
2009-08-11, 07:41 PM
That's a awful lot about something that didn't happen. And most of your individual issues were both favourable and defensive of some of the more stupid changes (woe Soundwave).

wolfbolt86
2009-08-12, 12:43 AM
Isn't it a tad bit crazy/ werid to say that this isn't canon any more when both it is still being canon by the company that is producing it and that there has not been any recent stories that have clamied that it is uncanon yet.

Rossum
2009-08-12, 01:36 AM
In short: No.

What's especially annoying is that of all the various lose ends needing tying up (Ore 13, the next President as a facsimile, Skywatch, what the EvilU did next, Soundwave's lobotomy etc.)

Loose ends? Obviously those all got blown up by the Decepticons in their takeover of Earth otherwise known as New York. Presto, you have nothing to complain about and can now love AHM freely as you were meant to. :)

inflatable dalek
2009-08-12, 07:07 AM
All the Ore 13, and the facsimilies and the Magnifigance (which is probably the big one to sort out ASAP, till they get rid of it the Autobots are going to seem like morons every time they don't win) were in New York together at the same time?

Commander Shockwav
2009-08-12, 02:15 PM
Isn't it a tad bit crazy/ werid to say that this isn't canon any more when both it is still being canon by the company that is producing it and that there has not been any recent stories that have clamied that it is uncanon yet.

And do you also believe that my being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place? Do you think that's air you're breathing now?

Wolfbolt. There is no spoon.

Halfshell
2009-08-12, 02:36 PM
Okay, AHM broke Shockwav. Ban him and give me his posts.

Rossum
2009-08-12, 02:41 PM
All the Ore 13, and the facsimilies and the Magnifigance (which is probably the big one to sort out ASAP, till they get rid of it the Autobots are going to seem like morons every time they don't win) were in New York together at the same time?

Well the facsimiles were obviously all living in the part of D.C. that got blown up, but otherwise, yes. Everything else was stashed around New York, and that's why they've all vanished from the story. Though maybe the Magnificence was in Hot Rod's pocket and broke when he crash-landed on Cybertron. I'll have to consult the issues to decide.

Halfshell
2009-08-12, 02:50 PM
Metroplex is guarding the Magnificence.

There'll be a 4 issue story that basically consists of a massive flashback to Revelation where Hot Rod goes "Right, Magnificence, what do I do with you now? Because keeping you around is going to **** with dramatic tension, yo."

And the Magnificence goes "I hear ya dawg, what yo' gotta do is gives me to Metroplex and let him hide me, aite? Because then he'll be able to be all vague and mysterious and we can squeeze another year's worth of aces drama outta what happened to me and what it is he's hiding, even though it coulda all been explained in like a panel, yo. F'reals."

Hot Rod then responds by asking if there's anything he needs to be forewarned of, like any potential invasions of friendly planets, traitors in their midst and the prospect of being stranded on Cybertron. And the Magnificence TOTALLY punks him by saying "nah, 's all cool from hereon out dawg." Because nobody likes Hot Rod because he, like, wasn't a Diaclone and got Prime killed in the wicked cool animated Movie.

Word.

Terome
2009-08-12, 03:56 PM
Metroplex is guarding the Magnificence.

And the Magnificence goes "I hear ya dawg, what yo' gotta do is gives me to Metroplex and let him hide me, aite? Because then he'll be able to be all vague and mysterious and we can squeeze another year's worth of aces drama outta what happened to me and what it is he's hiding, even though it coulda all been explained in like a panel, yo. F'reals."

Word.

I'd buy it.

zigzagger
2009-08-17, 05:11 AM
AHM continues with two more stories - one about Sunstreaker, the other about Galvatron. Guest starring the solar pool. This is your Transformers: All Hail Megatron #14 reaction and discussion thread.

Talk.

Scheduled for August 19th.

Preview pages @ comicscontiuum.com. (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0908/15/idwfirsts.htm)

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5978/ahm14page1.th.jpg (http://img196.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ahm14page1.jpg)http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1220/ahm14page2.th.jpg (http://img200.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ahm14page2.jpg)http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7484/ahm14page3.th.jpg (http://img35.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ahm14page3.jpg)http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/1517/ahm14page4.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ahm14page4.jpg)http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/1369/ahm14page5.th.jpg (http://img38.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ahm14page5.jpg)

Commander Shockwav
2009-08-19, 09:14 PM
First story was 'meh'. Not sure it added anything to Sunstreaker's history that we didn't know already, but rather just retold what we already do. That Sunstreaker was a tortured soul is no revelation to us. Why not focus instead on how exactly Streaker betrayed the Autobots and how the Decepticons got the codes from Hunterstreaker? Wasted page space. Time to let McCarthy move on to pursue other endeavors.

The second story with Galvatron was satisfying, not because the writing was that impressive (actually, the story was quite lame), but because it gives us some sort of continuity that the abrupt ending of Revelations took from us. What was also nice was that it gave us focused characterization of Cyclonus and Scourge. And of course, having a mad Galvatron is always fun. So I enjoyed this tale more for the character moments, despite the weak story.

Give it a "B-".

Dreadwing
2009-08-21, 12:35 AM
So I picked up AHM 14 today. The Sunstreaker story is just as expected, a flashback that shows us what we have already been told. Nothing new, no plot holes filled in, nothing to move the overal story forward. Just as useless as the Ironhide/Prime story from 13.

The Galvatron story was better. The art was not spectacular, but was still better than AHM #9 (My standard for IDW worst art), and the story sets up a good future arc. Howerver; as its not wrtten by Mike Costa I wonder how long it will take for this story to come around again.

I made a prediction about Galvatrons fate back in revelations, and this story helps to further that idea. I think: Galvatron, now in control of the darkness, will somehow actually become unicron. The darkness = the anglomos energy from the japanese series, His talk of "bringing chaos" to the universe, in revelation when he states "I AM ..." before being thrown into the solar pool.

Red Dave Prime
2009-08-22, 01:13 AM
Much as AHM 13 was, AHM 14 has a meaningless autobot story and an interesting decepticon one which needed more room to breathe.

The Sunstreaker tale had absolutely nothing of value in it. It wasnt well written and revealed zero. I would have rather seen Bombshells capture and torture of Hunter and how that played into streaker. Theres nothing even really shocking about what the humans do and no indication that Scorponok was the one pulling the strings.

Galvatrons tale at least throws us up something we didnt already know.

Cyclonus is looking like he could have some decent character. I would have liked to have seen some of his thoughts and encounters that lead him to destroy all the old cons (I'm guessing they are all part of nova primes crew but I felt it was a little indistinct) He reminds me of a warped Kup.

Galvatron has a nice looney prophet feel about him. Again, its rushed so it doesnt work as well as it should but its a nice idea and would make a nice basis for his rule of the decepticons versus the more logical Megatron (should it happen) Almost like a religion v science clash. Just hope he loses the flaming eyes because it likes a bit stupid in the strip itself (the cover is damn nice though)

Even Scourge gets a bit of character, seemingly the comic relief of the trio. His creation of the sweeps is a bit muddled thanks to the low page count.
What really confuses though is now that Scourge is officailly an ancient cybertronian... How come Starscream name checked him as a possible usurper to Megatron in AHM? Are IDW that badly organised? Think I know the answer.

So another somewhat pointless Coda (we cant be sure that the Starscream story will actually lead anywhere when the main story kicks back in)
With the news that the ongoing is 3 years after AHM its not quite clear if Galvatrons plot is happening before, during, after or far after AHM. Part of me thinks that IDW dont know for sure either.

Halfshell
2009-08-24, 05:02 PM
Oh for frak's sake.

Issue 13 I didn't bother reading, and this one I'm left wishing much the same.

Sunstreaker got shat on by some humans. We knew that. He didn't like it. We knew that. He wanted to die. We knew that. Eventually he did. We knew that.

What we didn't know is why the **** getting shat on by some humans made him want to commit ****ing genocide upon the whole lot of them. And lo and behold the only pertinent issue that needed addressing is completely ignored as McCarthy just reiterates what we've already seen, but with the added yawn of a Machination scientist getting his rocks off by doing the nasty in front of robots.

But then we should have expected that from the title of Replay.

Whatever.

When is Galvatron's story set? Is it Justin Hawkins and the Darkness that allow him to turn fire into a cloning facility? Why did he call them Sweeps? Where the **** did Scourge come from? Why is Ark spelt wrong? Why do we get another "I Still Function" gag? Who are these robots Cyclonus is melting down? Grindcore, Straxus and Jhiaxus? They don't look like 'em. What the hell is this bobbins about Cyclonus being able to survive the longest when his own Spotlight stated that Galvatron's the only one able to survive in this universe longer than any of the others? Why should I care that the carefully-mapped out alternate and reimagined versions of the characters have now been replaced by knock-offs of the cartoon iterations?

So, we've got one story full of answers we already knew, then one full of questions that shouldn't be raised.

Wooha.

The McCarthy story is more satisfying. That's just flat-out wrong.

Just when I think IDW can inspire only apathy from me, they manage to reignite the seething contempt. And to think I'm actually paying to have this bilge inflicted on me.

Denyer
2009-08-24, 05:58 PM
I'm going to assume the 'Streaker bit at the beginning is what's going through his mind, not what actually happened... in that context, it works alright. Like others, though, I don't see anything here that gets to why he's suddenly happy to collaborate with Decepticons. Bit of a wasted opportunity. Main plus point is that the death works separately to AHM.

The second story's rather self-aware, isn't it? "What does that mean?" / "I have no idea." If this turns out to lead into something to do with Unicron I'm going to be very disappointed indeed. Dialogue feels like Schmidt is trying to out-Furman Furman. Still, it's staying true to the epic-babble of the Dead Universe plot.

Treading water, overall.

Red Dave Prime
2009-08-24, 06:40 PM
Treading water, overall.

Definitely agree with that assesment for both of the codas so far and theres nothing really in the press release for parts 3 and 4 to make them seem like they will be any different.

I dont know what would be a worse scenario. IDW keeping these plotlines as part of the new series (which will cause similar problems as the MD series clashing with AHM) or just abandoning them altogether as part of a relaunch.

I have a sneaking feeling that 90% of what is part of these mini-spotlights will have no bearing on whats to come. Cant honestly say that thats a bad thing though.

StarscreamX
2009-08-24, 07:28 PM
Much as AHM 13 was, AHM 14 has a meaningless autobot story and an interesting decepticon one which needed more room to breathe.

The Sunstreaker tale had absolutely nothing of value in it. It wasnt well written and revealed zero. I would have rather seen Bombshells capture and torture of Hunter and how that played into streaker. Theres nothing even really shocking about what the humans do and no indication that Scorponok was the one pulling the strings.

Galvatrons tale at least throws us up something we didnt already know.

Cyclonus is looking like he could have some decent character. I would have liked to have seen some of his thoughts and encounters that lead him to destroy all the old cons (I'm guessing they are all part of nova primes crew but I felt it was a little indistinct) He reminds me of a warped Kup.

Galvatron has a nice looney prophet feel about him. Again, its rushed so it doesnt work as well as it should but its a nice idea and would make a nice basis for his rule of the decepticons versus the more logical Megatron (should it happen) Almost like a religion v science clash. Just hope he loses the flaming eyes because it likes a bit stupid in the strip itself (the cover is damn nice though)

Even Scourge gets a bit of character, seemingly the comic relief of the trio. His creation of the sweeps is a bit muddled thanks to the low page count.
What really confuses though is now that Scourge is officailly an ancient cybertronian... How come Starscream name checked him as a possible usurper to Megatron in AHM? Are IDW that badly organised? Think I know the answer.

So another somewhat pointless Coda (we cant be sure that the Starscream story will actually lead anywhere when the main story kicks back in)
With the news that the ongoing is 3 years after AHM its not quite clear if Galvatrons plot is happening before, during, after or far after AHM. Part of me thinks that IDW dont know for sure either.

Well we CAN be sure these stories are leading into the main series as IDW have flat out SAID they will be. So yeah we'll be seeing more on Galvatron, Starscream etc when the ongoing starts

As for the bit about Starscream name checking Scourge, maybe there's more than one Transformer with the same name? That's the only way I can think of to fix that error

Red Dave Prime
2009-08-24, 08:02 PM
Well we CAN be sure these stories are leading into the main series as IDW have flat out SAID they will be. So yeah we'll be seeing more on Galvatron, Starscream etc when the ongoing starts

Well ok, I dont really keep up with IDW press releases or message boards. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. But if the ongoing starts up and megatron is back in power as if nothing happened I'll be a bit miffed.

@ Halfshell : That bit about cyclonus being able to survive longer was one I thought of aswell but forgot to mention. In truth the powers of the undead transformers has been bizarly handled from the start. Galvatrons power of death (and passing that onto a reaper no less) havent been explained and probably cant be. But yeah, it got more muddled by the end of this one.

Still, we might actually get to straxus in a bigger role going by the namechecking.

Dreadwing
2009-08-25, 02:13 AM
Well we CAN be sure these stories are leading into the main series as IDW have flat out SAID they will be.

IDW have said a lot of things. If they say it, it will usually end up flat out wrong or accurate with many glarring errors.

examples:
"They dont want to flood the market" = 6 tf titles per month (late 08 - 09)
"Evolutions will be a what if... type title" = cancelled after one arc
"AHM was a hit and sold exceedingly well" = another semi reboot afterwards
"AHM is in continuity with the -ation series" = WTF?
"Denton Tipton edits TF comics for IDW" = another WTF?

I both want and dont want AHM to be included in the official continuity. I cant decide anymore. Also, has anyone noticed that there is a solicitation for a book called "Transformers: Continueum"? The link is in the thread for the new Ongoing #1 chat. It says its supposed to be a complete overview of the entire IDW G1 Continuity from Infiltration all the way through AHM. Perhaps they can use this to fix some of the problems and streamline the events. But thats to much to ask, all I expect from it is more confusion.

Commander Shockwav
2009-08-25, 01:37 PM
I both want and dont want AHM to be included in the official continuity.

What's an "AHM"? Never heard of it.

Springer85
2009-08-25, 03:50 PM
What's an "AHM"? Never heard of it.

All Hail Megatron perhaps? ;)

Red Dave Prime
2009-08-25, 05:33 PM
er... :swirly:

Anyway, moving on... A guide to how the IDW verse hangs together would be great. It would let me know what to acknowledge and what to disregard. Seriously. It would really help with the new ongoing.

well, I'd buy it. if it came with a promise that IDW wouldnt at some point ignore/ replace/ change whats contained within.

Commander Shockwav
2009-08-25, 07:37 PM

Never heard of it. Neither have you. Now let us never speak of this conversation again.

wolfbolt86
2009-08-25, 08:33 PM

Look at the last issue thread for detalies.

Getting back to the on going, if IDW does do a reboot, any ideas as to who much of the current stuff is going to be offical cannon?

Hennessy
2009-08-27, 07:11 PM
Well ok, I dont really keep up with IDW press releases or message boards. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. But if the ongoing starts up and megatron is back in power as if nothing happened I'll be a bit miffed.

@ Halfshell : That bit about cyclonus being able to survive longer was one I thought of aswell but forgot to mention. In truth the powers of the undead transformers has been bizarly handled from the start. Galvatrons power of death (and passing that onto a reaper no less) havent been explained and probably cant be. But yeah, it got more muddled by the end of this one.

Still, we might actually get to straxus in a bigger role going by the namechecking.

Andy Schmidt explains that was a mistake on his part. This is from the Q&A thread on the IDW forum.

So, let me just say for the record that I goofed and completely misinterpreted something in “Revelations.” I was not trying to erase continuity when I wrote that Cyclonus could out last Galvatron in our universe, I simply misread that in “Revelations” and no one caught it. It’s in print now and I can’t take it back, but it was an accident—no ill intent there.

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=6553

Red Dave Prime
2009-08-27, 08:43 PM
Dont usually read that kind of stuff but AS comes across pretty well. At least he admitted he goofed. Everyone gets one.

Nevermore
2009-08-27, 11:07 PM
I like how McCarthy RETCONNED the Hunter/Sunstreaker conversation from Devastation #3. Like, editing out mention of the threat from Scorponok, editing out Hunter's suggestion to get revenge, editing out Sunstreaker's "sure, why not, you got some extra room in there" approval, and adding another plea from Sunstreaker to Hunter to kill him AFTER Hunter suggested to become a Headmaster just so Sunstreaker comes across as being even more tortured, and Hunter comes across as nothing short of an ***. Yeah, totally not crapping over someone else's stories. :smack:

Halfshell
2009-08-28, 08:14 AM
Andy Schmidt explains that was a mistake on his part. This is from the Q&A thread on the IDW forum.

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=6553

Shame that large parts of the dialogue and story revolve around that cock-up.

Fair play to him for holding his hands up and admitting fault, but it doesn't really inspire confidence (though at least he's actually reading the previous stories... even if he's reading them wrong) in him or the editorial team as a whole (who to be honest lost my confidence long ago when they decided that the right to complain about something you've paid money for no longer exists). Seems an amiable chap though for what that's worth.

I'm used to IDW's editors not being able to spell, spot duplicated speech bubbles, tell which character should actually be saying what, replacing random bits of dialogue with "I still function", accidentally printing All Hail Megatron for ten issues more than it should have been... but massive bits of dialogue being wrong and nobody catching it? That's a new one. Scares me what might slip through next.

Red Dave Prime
2009-08-28, 02:21 PM
You do kinda hope that himself, Furman, McCarthy and whoever else they got writing sat down and worked out exactly what has happened before and how it affects things. How he made the mistake when EVERYONE who read the comic wouldnt have is worrying.

Its not like the plots are that complicated. The only difficulty is knowing which issue goes where. They could make life a lot easier for themselves and the readers by not having spotlights and series running all at different times.

Thinking about it during AHMs run we had plots running in the present (MD), one year in the future (AHM - now to be past!), cybertrons early past (SL:Blur), Between MD & AHM (SL:Cliffjumper,SL: Drift) and during (SL:Jazz). No wonder it feels the plots are all over the place - they are!

Dreadwing
2009-09-01, 01:28 AM
Thinking about it during AHMs run we had plots running in the present (MD), one year in the future (AHM - now to be past!), cybertrons early past (SL:Blur), Between MD & AHM (SL:Cliffjumper,SL: Drift) and during (SL:Jazz). No wonder it feels the plots are all over the place - they are!

Remember, they wanted the comics to be accessable to new readers by making every issue a #1. They didnt want to complicate things by haveig one solitary ongoing. That would just be to much.

Oh yeah, where does Metroplex fit into all that?

Halfshell
2009-09-01, 07:54 AM
Oh yeah, where does Metroplex fit into all that?

I wouldn't fret too much over that. There's several plot-holes big enough to fit him into.

inflatable dalek
2009-09-01, 08:04 AM
It fits concurrently with the Autobots getting pussy whipped when Bombshell uses Hunter to steal the vital top secret codes the Autobots keep on their version of google*. So as well as Omega Supreme we know Metroplex and at least three Throttlebots survived this half arsed genocide.

*I still don't get that... If it's because of his mental link with Sunstreaker does than mean Bombshell could have done the same thing with any captive Autobot? Why has no one done this before?

Halfshell
2009-09-01, 08:43 AM
Because no other Autobot has a mental link with an easily tortured human?

What were the codes even for?

Red Dave Prime
2009-09-01, 09:49 AM
The codes unlocked Streakers Nokia

The Cons then phoned all the autobots pretending to be streaker and asked would they kindly lower their defences

What, you think IDW has a better explaination?

inflatable dalek
2009-09-01, 08:07 PM
If McCarthy did we won't be hearing it any time soon....

Starfield
2009-09-01, 09:50 PM
I like how McCarthy RETCONNED the Hunter/Sunstreaker conversation from Devastation #3. Like, editing out mention of the threat from Scorponok, editing out Hunter's suggestion to get revenge, editing out Sunstreaker's "sure, why not, you got some extra room in there" approval, and adding another plea from Sunstreaker to Hunter to kill him AFTER Hunter suggested to become a Headmaster just so Sunstreaker comes across as being even more tortured, and Hunter comes across as nothing short of an ***. Yeah, totally not crapping over someone else's stories. :smack:

The issue is all of Sunstreaker's new, altered memories after Bombshell messed with his head.

inflatable dalek
2009-09-02, 06:58 AM
One thought I had whilst on the loo earlier, despite all claims to the contrary AHM pretty much categorically means the New Avengers crossover wasn't canon after all. I mean, presumably Spider-Man would have noticed the complete and utter destruction of New York and commented on it in his own title if it was one big happy Universe?

zigzagger
2009-09-15, 06:24 AM
All Hail Megatron gives us two more tales - the first about how Kup got all better following Transformers Spotlight: Kup, with story and art duties by fan-favourite Nick Roche, while the second will explain how Perceptor became a silent, gun-toting badass.

This is your all purpose Transformers: All Hail Megatron #15 reaction and discussion thread. Come and share your good and/or ill thoughts with us.

Scheduled for September 16th

See preview pages @ comicscontinuum.com (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0909/12/idwfirsts.htm)

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7292/ahm15page1.th.jpg (http://img248.imageshack.us/i/ahm15page1.jpg/)http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5259/ahm15page2.th.jpg (http://img16.imageshack.us/i/ahm15page2.jpg/)http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4804/ahm15page3.th.jpg (http://img248.imageshack.us/i/ahm15page3.jpg/)http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/4531/ahm15page4.th.jpg (http://img143.imageshack.us/i/ahm15page4.jpg/)http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1918/ahm15page5.th.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/i/ahm15page5.jpg/)t

Drivaaar
2009-09-16, 05:16 PM
Best issue of AHM. Simple as that.

Denyer
2009-09-16, 09:02 PM
Believe that's what's known as "damning with faint praise"...

Am looking forward to this issue muchly, though.

AndyTurnbull
2009-09-17, 11:23 AM
Definitely looks good and James Roberts apparently provided a writing assist.

Andy

Red Dave Prime
2009-09-20, 03:24 PM
A great example of why a Transformers comic could be great and why IDW generally have no writing skill.

The Kup story is excellent. It has good flow, it makes sense (there are one or two bits that wobble but few comics stand up to intense scrutiny) the art is both well drawn and dynamic and it fires the old interest. Fair play to Roche and it bodes extremely well for the wreckers mini. Particular liked his take on the a-morality of the autobots and the glorification of heroes.

Turning to the PErceptor story and oh jesus, what a regression. The best I can say about it is that the art is well drawn. Its not interesting and much of the panels are flat and dull but its well drawn. The plot is poor kids tv show shite. The "bad guys" skipping away is pure farcical. But worse is the evolution of perceptor. Granted many of us have complained that he could turned into yet another IDW bad-ass but judging on this, he always was.. he just didnt have the tech. Theres no depth to his character (other then he always keeps thanking drift)so the change in his attitude is non-exsistent.
So what was the point?

I also could rant for a few paragraphs on bludgeon and monstroctor but why bother? If you've read it I'm guessing you groaned at the stupidity of it all. Furmans Dark Universe may not have been great but it set up characters in an interesting fashion. Bludgeon seems so... wasted here. Maybe he's here for a bit of FORESHADOWING (tm idw)

So really an issue of 2 glaring halves. I would hope IDW will evolve in the still of Roche but something tells me it will be more the perceptor style. Honestly, money aside, that wont justify investing my interest in an ongoing.

To finish on a plus point though, for the first time I thought that all 3 covers were very good and I very nearly bought 2 issues. I went for the roche one but the other 2 both looked great.

Commander Shockwav
2009-09-21, 01:02 AM
Beautiful first story. A perfect example of how strong writing can make any idea or story worth telling. Had previous writers (who shall remain nameless) attempted the whole cy-gar thing, I don't think they could have pulled it off.

Nick not only has a very strong command of the English language, but I really like his ideas. They are mature and always unique. With this story, he has shown that he can fashion a very enjoyable tale from the work of others.

In other words, Nick has been the best writer under the IDW banner to tackle the Transformers. Who would have thought? The guy was brought on for his art, and it's his storytelling that attracts me most. Give it an "A".

The second story by Denton was okay, but suffered from the lack of page space. It started off well, but seemed rushed towards the end. It was too big, deserved to be allotted more page space than what it was given.

My problem is that I couldn't remember what last happened to Bludgeon. How did he get together with the Monsterbots? Not that it needed to be shown, necessarily, but everything's a blur now to me. Also, we now know what the gestalts weakness is. A sniper shot to the midsection. Didn't really do it for me, as I felt it really detracted from the threat a gestalt should pose. Art was great. Give it a "B".

Denyer
2009-09-21, 08:29 PM
Single best issue we've had so far. Densely-written, intelligent, continuity rich, vicious, pragmatic, and just plain fun. I was thinking "mmm, TMUK-ery" way before someone pointed out the inside front cover. Furman cemented his contribution to Transformers by writing into gaps in the US title, and in a very "students become the masters" way that's what we get here, taking things past solid formula and into characters with histories and group dynamics that aren't generic or echoes of profiles.

The Perceptor story also works, IMO. Not only does it sync up with the first story and give us an explanation without involving some kind of macho lobotomy, the team rosters do work -- Bludgeon's a natural fit for a possible pretender-ised gestalt team. It also makes sense that the first gestalt has combination teething troubles (although we'd expect some of the flaws to be engineered out in due course, including upgrades to existing teams.) It also makes sense that a lab-rat wouldn't have bothered with military upgrades until something significant enough happened to cause a change of mind, so the quick turnaround doesn't have to be a plot hole. More space to breathe would just've meant more fight scene.

Wreckers is an obvious cert. I'm almost stoked enough to pre-order the ongoing... but characters being back on Earth, with facial redesigns apparently thrown in for the sake of it... eh. Have seen good things from Costa on Joes (waiting for the trade, sorry to say -- general policy of seeing what consistency is like on titles before investing in series these days) but "They really don't know how to handle it and morale is at an all-time low, which leads to some serious conflicts, really bad decisions, and one of them doing something that nobody, fellow Autobots and readers included, is going to believe." could have come straight from Shane McCarthy a year or so ago.

Red Dave Prime
2009-09-22, 07:02 AM
Re:Bludgeon - how exactly did he get his brain back? And wouldnt Banzai-tron made the more logical (plot-wise) choice to lead the gestalts?

The encounter seemed like an episode of thundercats - Monstroctur unites (mumm-ra appears and hulks up), Quick snipe shot appears and takes out the gestalt (mumm-ra sees reflection in sword of omens) Everybody stands around happy while bad guys run away (er.. ditto)

Problem I had with the Snipe shot was in Spotlight:Prime we see that Monstroctor has a shield that prevents him being shot at. How does Perceptor get around that?

I'm puzzled why I'm the only one so far who thought the second story was tosh.

MissingSea
2009-09-22, 12:32 PM
I loved the first story, though I'm still left wondering where Kup's original body is stored. If it's at the research station, then how is he controlling his body from all that distance away, and why wasn't it destroyed during the 'purge' pre AHM.

The Perceptor story has echoes of Spotlight Shockwave, with Perceptor 'evolving' from his scientific self to the crackshot sniper. Much like Shockwave the cool logical scientist 'evolved' in Spotlight Shockwave. However, unlike the Shockers story, this wasn't all that well executed.

zigzagger
2009-09-23, 08:21 AM
First the good….

“Everything in its Right Place”

Ooooh okay, I’ll jump on the bandwagon too – Roche’s story was wonderful, something I never imagined myself saying about a book with “All Hail Megatron” in the title. It’s an odd feeling.

…And it only took 15 issues to provoke this sort of response from me too. Err, umm...yay for me?

Dialogue heavy, dense and continuity rich to be sure, but all 11 pages were a joy to read. Aside from serving as a good epilogue of sorts to Spotlight: Kup, it works even better as a spotlight for Prowl. Wonderful insight of the character while presenting something I found quite refreshing. While Roche plays off the usual Prowl-styled prickery – which I’ll come out and say I’ve always liked - there is also something I found deliciously diabolical about him here, particularly the way he uses Springer’s attachment to Kup to his advantage. Springer is good value too. His respect for Kup is so touching that I almost feel sorry for the poor sucker knowing that this all part of Prowl’s plan.

While I’m still not quite amped for the ongoing, the Wreckers mini can’t come soon enough.

…And the rest

“Lost & Found”

……

Goddamnit.

As for “Lost & Found”…there wasn’t really much meat to it, was there? I don’t know if it’s because I enjoyed the preceding story, but I just didn’t like it. I wasn’t entirely convinced by Perceptor’s transition from genius to sniper either. Mind, from what we have seen, yes, Perceptor hasn’t been depicted as a hugely complex character, but I guess I was expecting a bit more insight. While I can understand the necessity for Perceptor to take up arms, there’s was, I thought, a potential element of tragedy in that concept that was kind of squandered. Well, at least Perceptor displayed some semblance of a personality here versus the earlier issues of AHM.

But as Denyer said, Tipton’s story does sync up nicely with Roche’s, making this the most cohesive of the “Codas”. Though, honestly, I would have been perfectly content with Roche’s story being allotted the full 22 pages rather than the 11 it received. That’s just me, though.

A 4.5 out of 5 for the first, a 2.5 for the second.

EDIT

So, I take it Bludgeon’s past indiscretions were all forgiven then? Or were none of the ‘Cons aware that he attempted to commit genocide? While it might be explained in the Wreckers mini how Bludgeon got his mitts on the Monstructor six and what happened to him following Revelation (and I’m assuming how the ‘Cons got Sixshot back), at the moment, it’s a bit daft that the ‘Cons would give him a command position as well as being left in charge of the same technology Optimus was all fussed over. I had a couple of theories why that might be, though: One being that the ‘Cons let all that Thunderwing business slide due to his expertise with the Pretender process, somehow implementing it to the Gestalts. Another, as already speculated, is that Banzaitron is somehow behind all of this. It would certainly fit with Bludgeon chasing Hot Rod down – unless it’s just a coincidence.

And yes, I also agree that, while it’s lovely to see that Bludgeon has regained his senses – such as they were - Banzaitron seemed like the better candidate for this story. It would have been a good opportunity to fill in all those inconsistencies that Coda was said to fill in, at any rate.

Grufflock
2009-10-07, 09:31 PM
First Story: Allowed to breath, full of character, full of adding to the existing tale without feeling forced or rushed. Loved the faces and little nuances (case in point: first page, the small caption lets you know who's really in charge of this scene. And it's not Springer)

Second Story: Not bad,but like a lot of AHM (after the extension) theres stuff happening....and I find I just don't feel it. The characters do feel like they are there to move the story on, not that this is a story about these characters.

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.

But I'm thinking Roche IS going to have to become to go-to man for IDW'S TF stuff, with one spotlight, and just 11 pages, He's surpassed all but a select few writers (within and beyond TF) But thats without seeing what Costa does, and hopefully it'll be all good.

[…And it only took 15 issues to provoke this sort of response from me too. Err, umm...yay for me?

I agree wholeheartedly. Apart from a very small amount of moments, AHM just created apathy. So much so I could not be bothered to cancel my order and kept forgetting it was waiting for me at the local shop. THIS is what I want from any comic on the shelves.

Grufflock
2009-10-07, 09:39 PM
I'm trying to not let a large scream of frustration be my only thoughts on the continuing downward spiral that is AHM.

Never heard of it. Neither have you. Now let us never speak of this conversation again.

Please? Pretty Please? I would like this to be the case.

zigzagger
2009-10-13, 11:30 PM
Finally, for real this time, AHM comes to its conclusion, bringing us two more tales. The first is about Spike Witwicky and some cosplay nurses, and the second is about Bumblebee dealing with the aftermath of issue #12.

This is your all purpose Transformers: All Hail Megatron #16 reaction and discussion thread. Come share your love and/or hate with us.

Scheduled for October 14th.

Preview pages @ comicscontinuum.com (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0910/12/idwfirsts.htm).

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4859/ahm16page1.th.jpg (http://img235.imageshack.us/i/ahm16page1.jpg/)http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8044/ahm16page2.th.jpg (http://img62.imageshack.us/i/ahm16page2.jpg/)http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8679/ahm16page3.th.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/i/ahm16page3.jpg/)http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4937/ahm16page4.th.jpg (http://img237.imageshack.us/i/ahm16page4.jpg/)http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/4033/ahm16page5.th.jpg (http://img129.imageshack.us/i/ahm16page5.jpg/)http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/3033/ahm16page6.th.jpg (http://img391.imageshack.us/i/ahm16page6.jpg/)

--------

Would this be for the 3rd or 4th volume of the TPB? I know Amazon was calling this the 4th, while the last set of Spotlights would be AHM Vol. 3. Not sure if this has held true.

Commander Shockwav
2009-10-14, 11:16 PM
I want my $3.99 back.

Seriously, the content of this issue is something you might expect from one of those freebies you pick up on the counter at your local comic store. Y'know, the ones that give you a hint as to what's coming, but don't reveal anything.

The first story was hardly a story at all. Not sure how I would classify it. Except as freebie material.

The second story, I was pleased with the art by Chee. I like the style. Reminds me of Man of Iron from Marvel. The story? Again, how does this add anything, anything at all, to who Bumblebee is, to his place in this war? Was it supposed to be surprising that he helped those humans? The dialogue was unnecessarily wordy and felt a bit tacky.

Hard pressed to find something nice to say about this.

Give is a "D". Worst issue from IDW in a while.

andersonh1
2009-10-15, 12:24 AM
All Hail Megatron #16. I skimmed through it pretty quickly at the end of my lunch hour, so I may have some other thoughts or corrections after I'm able to sit down and read it thoroughly.

Like the other coda issues, there are two stories. The first concerns Spike, who is laid-up in the hospital, in traction, after a fight with Ravage. This particular story is pure setup, with a group coming in who want Spike to head field operations for Skywatch. There are flashbacks to his encounter with Ravage, who he apparently finishes off. I get the feeling that Skywatch is being set up to resemble NEST from ROTF, a group that searches the world for hidden Transformers and views them as a threat to be eliminated. Having missed most of AHM up to issue #14, I wasn't aware that Spike was in the military until I read the preview for this issue. That's what I get for coming in at the end of the story.

The Bumblebee story is the better of the two. BB is alone, damaged, and being hunted by the military. Or rather, the military are hunting for any Transformers in order to finish them off, and BB is in the area they're searching. The story works well, given that Bumblebee has always been one of the smaller, weaker Transformers, and so he's convincing as a potential victim of the soldiers. He radios for help with no success, and ultimately intervenes in a dangerous situation when it becomes apparent that some people are trapped in a building that's collapsing. He tries to hold it up while they escape. The military take advantage of the situation to try and kill him, either unaware or not caring that he's trying to save lives. Ultimately Optimus Prime and several other Autobots intervene, rescue and repair Bumblebee.

The story has a couple of nice touches. The two soldiers discussing the difference between the two sides by what type of vehicle disguise they adopt is a good illustration that not all humans see the Transformers as a single homogenous threat. Ratchet has a fun exchange with Bumblebee to the effect of "Prime knew we'd find you because you couldn't stay hidden. Sooner or later, you'd try to save someone."

I like it. The Spike story, as I said, is setup for future plotlines (I assume) and doesn't cover a lot of ground other than adding a bit to Spike's character and giving him a job for the ongoing series. The Bumblebee story offers a bit more, and says some good things about BB's character.

Halfshell
2009-10-15, 08:39 AM
Worst issue from IDW in a while.

Massive accomplishment.

Red Dave Prime
2009-10-15, 06:32 PM
Theres not much to love here...

Guidos not exactly a gem when it comes to drawing humans so an issue which is pretty much all fleshings was never going to look pretty. But the story is so slight as to be ridiculous. I really wonder how they want people to percieve spike. He doesnt come across as endearing at all, seems more then a bit stupid (taking on rumble with a pistol, getting his squad killed by ratbat, going in to a building alone to take on a decepticon when he has a squad all tooled up with him...) Its disheartening to read he'll be a main character in the ongoin for (wait for it) a year!.

More worrying is that this is a Costas story. His starscream story wasnt bad at all for a multi-page mosiac story but this doesnt have me looking forward to the ongoing.

And hey, how is Spike not decapitated when Ravage crashes into him? ah well..

Onto the Bumblebee story. Its better but nothing special. Quite liking chees style and the cliched story is done well enough I suppose. I'm a bit confused as to why Bumblebee is buried beneath rubble to begin with but I suppose its fallout from the end battle in issue 12 (when the autobots jumped out of omega... did bumblebee just nosedive into the ground?)

Going by the gushing letter page and the comments from costa I dont really think the ongoing is going to be any great shakes. IDW seem to be quite happy to keep things simple and straightforward. Shades of grey that funnilly enough made Kups story such a colourful and enjoyable piece dont seem on the agenda.

MissingSea
2009-10-19, 04:08 PM
The whole issue was a huge disappointment after AHM15. It was dare I say it worse than the whole of the previous AHM issues. Continuity errors (though I suppose we should be getting used to them), artistic license on bot and vehicle modes is going a bit far now.

Also what was that bollocks about Sky Watch... oh it'll be better with an American in charge.... erm wasn't it already an American operation? or did I miss something somewhere?

Denyer
2009-10-19, 04:54 PM
I want my $3.99 back.

Seriously, the content of this issue is something you might expect from one of those freebies you pick up on the counter at your local comic store. Y'know, the ones that give you a hint as to what's coming, but don't reveal anything.

The first story was hardly a story at all. Not sure how I would classify it. Except as freebie material.
Yeah, it reminds of Infiltration #0, without being a dollar to justify the amount of content.

I do like the art in the second story -- unfortunately it mainly serves as a reminder of what's going to be in the ongoing and another mark against picking that up.

andersonh1
2009-10-20, 12:52 AM
AHM #14 - Just a note, but I've missed just about everything from Escalation #6 onwards and have just started picking up the comics again, so I'm coming in late. Anyway, onwards and upwards...

Story 1 is about Sunstreaker, and his experiences during the Furman-written run of comics. I'm assuming a lot of what happened to him took place during "Devastation", which I missed entirely. I remember that he was captured at the start of Escalation and was apparently going to be turned into a Headmaster. The title of the story is "Replay" so I assume we're watching Sunstreaker relive his most recent memories, from winning a battle before being transferred to Earth, to being disassembled by the group who were developing the Headmasters, to what is either a memory or a fantasy about being restored and made whole. The last two pages show him lying in a pile of scrap at the bottom of a chasm beneath a broken bridge.

Here's where coming in late to a story does me no favors, since I don't really know what happened. I assume he died fighting, or else is in very bad shape and is expiring as we watch, and this story is the equivalent of his life flashing before his eyes. Either way, it's a grim storyline for a character I'd rather have seen more of. I get the feeling we won't be seeing Sunstreaker again any time soon.

On the other hand, it is a nicely encapsulated history of the character in IDW's continuity, and I appreciate that. Since his fate was apparently sealed, I do wonder why this story was written... possibly he survived, hence the very faint eye glow in the last few panels? Maybe we haven't seen the last of him after all.

Story 2 is about Galvatron, and shows him recruiting Cyclonus and Scourge, and creating the sweeps as his own private army. I guess these three characters are bound to be associated with each other from now on, ever since the 86 animated movie. At least Galvatron and Megatron are two different characters in this continuity, and that's a good thing.

Not as good as issue 15, but interesting all the same.

andersonh1
2009-10-20, 12:54 AM
All Hail Megatron #15. I started reading TF comics again in anticipation of the ongoing, which I plan to pick up. Jumping in at the end of AHM isn't the best idea, but it isn't hard to find out what led up to the current stories, and I was reading when the Kup spotlight came out, so I understand his malady.

Anyway, on to the issue itself.

I like it. I liked it quite a bit actually. Because not only does it follow up nicely on Kup's story, but it makes great use of Prowl. Prowl of course has a preference for logic over emotion, and thus his assessment of the flaws in the Autobot army seems like a conclusion he might well come to, right or wrong. The fact that he takes the action he does, to manipulate Kup and use his status as a hero in order to push Prowl's own point of view, is highly unethical. And yet it seems believable that Prowl might abandon his ethics and resort to something like this rather than let the war be lost, which would be a far worse outcome.

While I don't agree with what Prowl has done, I find the whole string of reasoning and actions that he takes to be plausibly within the bounds of the character as established. And more to the point, I find them interesting. Interesting for what they say about Prowl, and interesting for the consequences that might come into play down the line.

Finished the issue, and the second story about Perceptor. It's certainly a change to have him upgrading himself and deciding that he's got to be more of a fighter and less of a scientist. This is the first Transformer comic I've picked up in more than a year, and I'm sure had I read all the issues up to this point that I'd have a bit more background on his decision, but there's enough explanation in this issue to allow me to follow Perceptor's reasoning.

I enjoyed both stories quite a bit. There's some really good character work in this issue.

andersonh1
2009-10-20, 10:24 PM
Continuing my hopping around in the AHM storyline, I picked up issue #13 today. And once again, I found it a very enjoyable set of stories, based around two of my favorite G1 characters.

Ironhide - This particular story reminds us that Ironhide's been around a long time, and seen some ugly things. And at the beginning of the story it's finally gotten to be too much, thanks to his beatdown of Mirage. He and Optimus Prime sit down, have a drink or three and discuss their friendship from where it started to where it is now. That's a nice angle for the writer to take, because Optimus Prime doesn't have that many friends. He's in charge, and by necessity has to be somewhat distant from those under his command. Ironhide's one of the exceptions, and it's good to see that demonstrated, both via the conversation between the two and via flashback.

I've been a fan of Don Figeroa's art for several years now, and despite a poor first impression of his new style a few months ago when I first saw the art preview from the ongoing series, I find here that I like the new art quite a bit more than I thought I would. Don's art has always been detailed and expressive, and that trend continues here. The Transformers' eyes resemble the movie designs, but a lot of the new art is just altered facial styles and added layers of detail. It works for me.

Starscream - I've always had a disagreement with Starscream's portrayal as an incompetent coward. It doesn't match his original bio, and it doesn't make sense that he'd rise to be Megatron's lieutenant if he wasn't capable of doing the job. I think the "whiny coward" is a relic of the old cartoon, and one that needs to be disposed of. This issue does a good job of portraying Starscream as ambitious and egotistical, but not so much that it overwhelms his good sense. He knows that even with Megatron out of the way that his position isn't assured. Razorclaw is sure to challenge him, and there's always the possibility that Megatron will recover as well. When Shrapnel offers to finish him off, Starscream is unwilling to do that because he knows those loyal to Megatron will take revenge.

And then there's the Matrix, something Decepticons apparently can't use, and which Starscream sees no value in having, since it sits there and looks pretty and nothing else. But he's quick to figure out that the reputation may be enough to solidify his hold on the leadership based on Shrapnel's reaction. In the end, his body language suggests that he knows he's stepped in it, and that his lie is bound to come back and haunt him. I'd like to see some follow-up to this. I'd enjoy reading a plot where Starscream finally got what he always wanted and found that he hated it.

I didn't care for this artistic style as much. It got the job done and illustrated the story, but it's just not to my liking.

Overall, the second best issue of the "coda" issues.

Halfshell
2009-10-26, 02:32 PM
Okay, got confused for a moment there due to somebody getting merge-happy...

I've got #16.

I've not even opened it yet.

Anybody want to give me a reason (any reason at all, no matter how tenuous) why I should bother?

Nevermore
2009-10-26, 04:43 PM

I've got #16.

Anybody want to give me a reason (any reason at all, no matter how tenuous) why I should bother?

Actually you shouldn't.

The Spike story has essentially no actual plot, the important stuff happens off-panel, human characters are all characterized as unlikable dicks, and the thing appears to be a set-up for the ongoing.

The Bumblebee story erases the more pragmatic -Ation Bumblebee personality, even the AHM characterization, and replaces it with his cartoon personality of the "nice likable guy who likes humans". Also included is a setback to the worst Marvel days of human soldiers going all "Hey, that robot who didn't attack us is busy protecting civilians, so let's shoot him while we can and write off the dumb civilians as collateral damage!"

The entire issue could be summed up as "American soldiers are dicks".

Commander Shockwav
2009-10-26, 08:32 PM

I've got #16.

Short on toilet paper?

Red Dave Prime
2009-10-26, 10:08 PM
human characters are all characterized as unlikable dicks

Actually, I see this as a huge problem, nearly bigger then the re-using of other peoples plots. According to the interview at the back of issue 16, Spike will be central for 1 year. But he's an absolute tool. Has been since the moment he appearred. And it seems deliberate! Unless they want the whole thing to be a goofball comedy a-la the pink panther I cant see how it will work, even with a great plot.

inflatable dalek
2009-10-30, 09:55 PM
I'm bang up to date babes, at last!

Sunstreaker: Completely pointless, and I'm mildly worried the implication he was still having thoughts after a bridge fell on him and then exploded means a resurrection is in short order. I suppose random evil twat getting his girlfriend into the Machination's most secret and vital laboratory for a quick shag is at least consistent with terrible security measures we saw there in the ...tion series. I hope she was staff at least.

Galvatron: I actually have no idea what the hell was going on here, it's going to need a reread. Were they in the dead Universe? By the Solar Pooltm? Was Scourge to busy getting his nails done to help out with the scheme to destroy reality itself? Throw in the aforementioned Cyclonus problem and it's a bit of a mess. I also feel the worry I've had for a while that the Darkness will turn out to be related to Unicron is on the cusp of being realised, even if that wasn't the initial intent. Best bit was Galvatron's annoyance the Sweeps didn't look like him.

Kup: Ah, the good stuff. Lovely art (especially the zombie hand clawing on Kup's chest on the Roche cover) and some very well written characters. It also does a good job of dealing with a very shitty retcon, even managing to make the "Cy Gar" seem sinister (though I'm guessing there's some really special way of pronouncing that for Kup not to know straight away what Witwicky was asking about when he mentioned the cigar).

However, there's one niggle, and it's one I'm almost reticent to mention as I much prefer this to anything prior but I made the same complaint about Starscream's personality shift in issue 13 so fair's fair: I didn't buy that throughout his appearances in both AHM and a few other places Kup has been a brainwashed sleeper agent working to Prowl's agenda. True, we don't have any real idea what he was like before but if he was more belligerent and less logical than the git we've been saddled with you've got to wonder how people could stand to be in the same room as him. I don't even get a subtle sense of it. Hopefully this is something that'll get paid off well in the Wreckers comic to somewhat nullify this complaint, if not it seems a pointless retcon in a comic already overflowing with them. [That said... I also don't believe Perceptor would ever go through with it. Perhaps the solution to both problems is that he just lied about fiddling with Kup's mind?]

On the other hand, making Prowl Peter Mandleson was an excellent bit of buisness to explain why he never seemed bothered about Jazz and Kup measuring dick size to see who got to be boss. And it was nice to see Rachet on Prowl's list of buggers, someone remembers comics that happened a year ago six months ago before they started writing the issue they're on.

Perceptor: Again pointless as it didn't tell us anything that couldn't have been covered in two lines. Though Ironhide shouldn't have needed to consider resigning, he should have been fired as all the vital Decepticon prisoners seemingly in Autobot custody at the end of Revelation are footloose and fancy free. I can't believe the Decepticons would want Bludgeon back anyway, nore let him go on a jaunt with their latest super weapon despite him still sprouting "I'll get you butler!" style nonsense. I suppose it turned out he bargained his freedom by solving that days Suduku for Megatron.

Spike: Well, it's nice to see the first real sign of the terrible long term damage inflicted on the world. All the nurses uniforms have been destroyed so they're having to dress as strippers. Oh the humanity. Though I suppose Spike's the sort of guy who would manage to sneak actual whores into his room for a party, perhaps in grand 'Allo 'Allo style they were just bluffing the nursing part when they got interrupted? "You stupid government agent, can't you see she was just checking my pulse? There's a vein down there after all..."

The focus on the rebuilding of New York above all else keeps up the Americancentric attitude and makes the conflict seem pitiably small again as well. Even if they don't give a rip about China a mention of Washington couldn't have hurt could it? And if tache General is so keen for Americans to run Skywatch why not just keep it an American organisation as it seemed to be before?

And shouldn't both Spike (as the guy who shot Megatron) and his Dad (as the lead soldier in the field, possibly even of the whole American army at one point) be huge international celebrities with profiles so high having them join a secret group is effectively pointless? I suppose there could have been a huge huge cover up (which the solicitations for the ongoing do seem to be implying), but why? With America in shambles some heroes to promote would be a good thing, and also a way of saving some face by playing up how America saved the day in the end despite all set backs. Not to mention that Spike's groin high Achilles heel makes him a credible security risk. It's like Nixon making Elvis an actual real CIA Agent and asking him not to tell anyone about it whilst he's on missions shooting commies in full Vegas gear.

Bumblebee: Not sure anything happened in this one, other than more proof Sunstreaker probably had the right idea with wanting to do genocide on humanities ass.

So, still lots of unanswered questions: the facsimiles, the Ore 13, the Magnificence [Christ, why didn't they have Bludgeon chasing Hot Rod to get that? Perhaps even destroying it?], the fall out from the EU trying to destroy America, why the Autobots don't just leave Earth and go after the Decepticons (there's no current major enemy threat and the humans don't want them), the reason for Searchlight's seemingly drastic demotion from Prime's girl friday to message bot (OK, a minor one but it keeps me awake at night)...

God help us all for the ongoing.

Red Dave Prime
2009-11-01, 12:35 AM
So, still lots of unanswered questions: the facsimiles, the Ore 13, the Magnificence [Christ, why didn't they have Bludgeon chasing Hot Rod to get that? Perhaps even destroying it?], the fall out from the EU trying to destroy America, why the Autobots don't just leave Earth and go after the Decepticons (there's no current major enemy threat and the humans don't want them), the reason for Searchlight's seemingly drastic demotion from Prime's girl friday to message bot (OK, a minor one but it keeps me awake at night

See, the thing is if IDW and the writers simply looked at whats come about there is still the basis for some interesting ideas - take ore 13. In the present situation in earth it would be interesting to see humans trying to harvest the cybertronians and their tech for this high powered energy source. Similarly the fall-out from the EU/ US situation could also lead to some interesting developments. Instead, things already look tied up nice and neat.

Plus the company practice of re-setting after every new writer is getting ridiculous - isnt there a bible containing the basic plot and character points that new writers have to read?

I'm going to be as optimistic as I can for the ongoing. Hell, I got some fun out of AHM so I'm not hard to please. But really bar kup and starscream and maybe galvatron the coda series has been the worst of IDWs main comic.

inflatable dalek
2010-01-04, 07:51 AM
You know, the best summation of AHM is that the Titan comic- the one aimed specifically at young children- is dumping this turd well before the end and replacing it with something else. Loving the "Go buy the rest from Forbidden Planet... or sumthing" caption at the end as well.

LKW
2010-01-13, 04:04 PM
Really? That is hilarious....

Oh, and Kup's story was excellent, yes. Roche may be the last remnant of the IDW take on TF which I so liked....

asuka 24
2010-01-24, 03:21 PM
I agree Kup's story was excellent and to me it was the best in the book. Starscreams's story was good too.

I pre ordered the Graphic novel from amazon and go it in the mail last Monday on the 18th. A week before it was supposed to be released according to the date they had on there site, but sometimes they do put the wrong dates.

:):swirly::)