PDA

View Full Version : OIIII! URMERICA! NO!

Cliffjumper
2009-10-25, 05:42 PM
What the **** do you think you're doing dubbing Asterix films? Leave it aht, or you'll be brown bread. Buttered. On the boat with Harry.

Catalyst Dragon
2009-11-04, 11:34 PM
What?

Shrapnel Clone
2010-02-23, 06:42 AM
I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard that the general american populace has a hard time reading subtitles fast enough (the effect of dubbing everything). Also, since Asterix is mainly for the kids, it might have something to do with that.

Ackula
2010-02-23, 07:23 AM
I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard that the general american populace has a hard time reading subtitles fast enough (the effect of dubbing everything).

Sadly, this is probably true. I myself detest a dub, especially of a live action film. Anime dubs I can stand if it is done extremely well, like in the case of most of the Disney dubbed Studio Ghibli films. But I'd say 95% of the people I know hate reading subtitles, even if it is only for a little bit. I've heard many people bitch about the scenes in Inglorious Basterds that have subtitles, and that is very minimal to say the least.

I have noticed that almost all of my wife's family, for instance, will always choose a shitty dubbed track on a DVD over the original language track with subtitles. This is especially true of Asian films, they would much rather see the terrible dub than have to read.

Sades
2010-02-23, 07:26 AM
I can't watch a DVD without the captions on, even if it is in english.

More often than not any deviation from the actual spoken script tends to annoy me, but I keep doing it. *shrug*

Halfshell
2010-02-23, 09:31 AM
I have to watch both Deadwood and The Wire with the subs on.

The former because they talk in ****ing circles (beautifully so, but it's easier to follow if I'm reading it). The latter because they ****ing mumble ridiculous slang in an accent that barely resembles English.