PDA

View Full Version : Old Marvel series

fire_in_the_sky
2009-12-02, 04:47 AM
First post, and not sure if this is the right forum, but anway...

I just got into Transformers with my husband. We watched season one of the original cartoon, and are just digging into season two. I want to know if reading the old marvel series is going to spoil a lot of the show for me if i read it at the same time? I know that there are differences between the comics and the show, but i wanted to know if one is going to ruin the other?

zigzagger
2009-12-02, 04:58 AM
Ignoring all that silliness about multiverses and whatnot for a moment, the Marvel stuff (US in particular) is in its own distinct continuity. It won't spoil anything from the cartoon. Though I suppose there could be some rather loose connections drawn to some of the Marvel UK stuff following Transformers: The Movie. I personally don't categorize it as being connected, though.

Clogs
2009-12-02, 01:41 PM
Your best bet is to trawl through Amazon and the like in search of the original stories from both US and UK continuities - neither will detract or inform the cartoon series.

City of Fear, Prey, Legacy of Unicron, End of the Road, Last Stand... Then there's Earthforce, Way of the Warrior... not necessarily in that order, heh...

Alternatively, get the 'Best of...' reprints for an over-view.

There are a lot of IDW collations to explore, too, but these relate to more modern imagining of the franchise.

Check out the TFA Comics area for more information.

Blackjack
2009-12-02, 02:09 PM
Yup, the Marvel series is a completely different continuity from the cartoon. More... mature and more sensible than the cartoon. While the original cartoon is pretty much average plots and whatnot, the marvel comics actually have a semblance of plotting, with actual characterization...

No offense to cartoon fans, but I'd take the Marvel comics over the cartoon any day.

Here's our site's guide for Marvel comics:
http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/

fire_in_the_sky
2009-12-02, 11:57 PM
thanks for all your help!