PDA

View Full Version : Because I haven't asked any pedantic questions about Movie toys for, oh, hours...

Cliffjumper
2009-12-11, 05:17 PM
...Desert Tracker Ratchet, or whatever the ROTF one is called - how's his main colour, compared to the first one? Is it closer to the on-screen model?

- The stock pictures certainly look yellower, but then the stock pictures for Rampage show colours other than yellow on him.
- The TFWaki claims only the black was changed to grey and doesn't mention the primary colour, but then that's just a collection of tedious jokes.
- I'm not sure I'd be able to accurately tell from an in box one unless I took my 1st film one to a shop with me

I kinda need a new Ratchet anyway, what with recently realising there's actually a big chunk missing off mine, and with them both being fairly unpopular there's not a lot of price difference in which I pick up.

There might be a few of these in the next few weeks... I've decided to upgrade my movie figures with Reprolabels (hence why I'm not fussed about things like the emergency stripe on the ROTF version), so where it's viable getting the most accurate base figure seems to make sense.

S_Windell
2009-12-12, 08:26 AM
Believe it or not, the '07 one is more accurate. Desert Tracker in person is nearly the color of a green olive. Add to that more accurate paint apps and the black bits on the '07, it's closer to the onscreen character altogether.

Knightdramon
2009-12-12, 08:52 AM
So far the most accurate has got to be movie 1 premium ratchet. Hold out a bit for the deluxe version, looks accurate enough and might be tall enough that looks okay next to Ironhide...

Blackjack
2009-12-12, 11:03 AM
Wait for deluxe class Ratchet. It's more show accurate, with an actual weapon and better feet. As far as I could tell from stock photos, anyway.

Cliffjumper
2009-12-12, 03:36 PM
Nah, really don't dig the vehicle mode of the Deluxe - I'm quite fond of the Voyager mould, it's pretty fixed as Ratchet in my mind.

Definitely tempted by the Premium... the price of the figure seems alright online, just got to wait until one comes up from a seller who doesn't interpret "international shipping fee" as "anything I damn well want".

Cheers for generally warning me off the RotF one, everyone - it's quite cheap and was in danger of being an impulse buy I instantly regretted.

Cliffjumper
2009-12-16, 07:45 PM
Right, more Premium-y questions...

Barricade - would I be right in thinking that it's mainly the robot mode paint applications that are improved? The alt mode ones I can Reprolabel... the only thing is, does anyone know whether I'll be able to swap out those frosted windows easily? Worth the effort?

Ironhide - much the same applies. Reprolabels should cover what's needed for the vehicle mode, but I don't like the additional paint apps on the vehicle. What're my chances of salvaging the inner robot parts off the Premium and replacing the vehicle parts with the standard one? Again, is it worth the effort? Also, is the RotF head noticably better? I've heard people praise this and the weaponry, but I personally prefer the original's guns - anyone got any opinions on the head sculpt?

Jazz I'm fairly settled on the Premium, just because it's actually silver.

Knightdramon
2009-12-17, 10:23 AM
Judging from Seibertron's pictures, Premium Barricade has a differently painted head and more decals in vehicle mode; the mould isn't the best anyway, why don't you save up for the HA version?

Ironhide does look like a definite improvement, but I'm sticking with my modified original. Swapping parts with the ROTF does make him look better; I've swapped the head [obviously], the gray hands [because promotional material showed him with light-coloured hands] and of course the weapons. The weapons aren't as easy for him to be posed with as the originals, but they're a nice touch. Bear in mind that they do not tuck on the underside like the original guns, but combine and form a cannon that attaches to the truck bed.

I'm fairly, fairly certain a HA Jazz is down the road, but if you're not into that line, then yes, the premium is the way to go. Premium + BD Jazz weapon = definite deluxe Jazz.

Warcry
2009-12-17, 03:35 PM
Barricade - would I be right in thinking that it's mainly the robot mode paint applications that are improved? The alt mode ones I can Reprolabel... the only thing is, does anyone know whether I'll be able to swap out those frosted windows easily? Worth the effort?
The windows are connected in a way that would make taking them off and attaching another set fairly time-consuming and difficult. The windshield and car roof are attached to the figure with two hinges held together by pins. The windows that become his 'wings' (pointing straight up in robot mode) are attached by the same hinges and cover one of the ends, meaning you can't just use a hammer to gently knock the pins out and get the joints to come apart.

As far as the Premium paint apps go, there are a few small details with new applications in robot mode, but the only major difference is his face. I don't have a premium Barricade to compare first-hand with my regular one, but just by looking at the head-shots on TFU.info I think the less-accurate regular one works better.

Regular (http://tfu.info/2007/Decepticon/Barricade/barricade.htm)
Premium (http://tfu.info/2008/Decepticon/Barricade/barricade.htm)

Either way, though, the toy isn't that great. Which is a real shame, since he was the only Decepticon in the first movie with even the slightest hint of a personality.

Cliffjumper
2009-12-17, 04:09 PM
Yeh, looking at Barricade it would be a lot of (expensive) hassle for basically the head, and the problem is that the chest is hugely inaccurate either way... I do wish there was something plausible to do about that back window, though.

I'm steering clear of Human Alliance unless they come up with something greatly improved - Deluxe Barricade works nicely with a good range of figures in either mode.

Looking at Ironhide, not sure how it is feasibility-wise, but I don't think I'd be up to the job of "re-shelling" the Premium, plus he's so complex that any slight, slight variation in size would render the whole venture pointless... I'm thinking a headswap (and fist-swap - didn't know about those, cheers Knightdramon!) with the RotF one, and then probably pick and choose the guns when I get the latter. I've actually kinda got used to the toy of Ironhide - the relative lack of paint applications actually works a bit, plus I can't picture the truck mode without two huge cannons underneath.

BD Jazz? Is that the same as the Final Battle one? Because the big gun with that one looks about right to me - I was going to see if I could cut off the "vehicle mode" bit and then maybe do something then with the handle for the thing. I'm actually quite fond of the Deluxe Jazz mould for some reason, and it actually being silver rather than light grey will be most of the work done on that one.

Knightdramon
2009-12-17, 06:19 PM
BD Jazz? Is that the same as the Final Battle one? Because the big gun with that one looks about right to me - I was going to see if I could cut off the "vehicle mode" bit and then maybe do something then with the handle for the thing. I'm actually quite fond of the Deluxe Jazz mould for some reason, and it actually being silver rather than light grey will be most of the work done on that one.

Whoops, I meant to say Battle Damage, accustomed to gundams, without realizing it was called Final Battle. I concur about the mould, once you get used to basically ripping the arms off the chest when going from vehicle to robot, he's a fairly decent, albeit somewhat blocky figure.

Cliffjumper
2009-12-17, 06:51 PM
Yeh, I rather like the way he's simple, but still has the 'Movie' look (unlike Barricade, who looks like something from Cybertron with a new head). I've got a weird soft spot for Movie Jazz in general, actually. I do wish the forearms on the toy were a bit better, though...

Cliffjumper
2009-12-28, 08:06 PM
Anyone here got Voyager Prime? How does he compare to other figures in terms of size? I realise he's almost certainly not a patch on the Leader versions, but I'm tempted to look for a cheap one for display with some of the smaller figures like Bonecrusher, Brawl or the Deluxe/Voyager Autobot cars. Is he a 'small' Voyager like Blackout, or a 'large' one like Ratchet/Ironhide?

Ta!

Warcry
2009-12-28, 09:29 PM
I don't have very many other movie voyagers for comparison, but he's taller than Starscream and looks pretty good alongside deluxe Brawl or the scout-sized cars. The only thing is that even though the mold is recognizable as Optimus, it's a long way off from being movie-accurate. Posability is middle of the road...he's got lots of joints but he's pretty top-heavy.

I've taken a quick pic of him with Starscream, Dead End and Brawl so you can judge for yourself. :)

Cliffjumper
2009-12-29, 07:56 PM
Ahhh, cheers... He looks alright... the question is now whether I'm mad enough to spend ~20 on a prop...

Warcry
2009-12-30, 05:57 PM
Rhetorical question, no? ;)

I'd recommend waiting to grab the ROTF one (the first release, not the hideous 'defender' redeco) on sale if you can still find it in stores nearby, or tracking down a cheap one from the first Movie on eBay. If you pay full price for him (especially UK full price) I think you'll be disappointed.

Cliffjumper
2010-01-29, 08:58 AM
Okay, there's more. What colour is Grindor (the proper one, not the Legend)? Some stock photos make him look basically white, but other pictures seem to make him a more sober grey colour. Anyone got one/seen one in the plastic? Also, does anyone know if the 'Autobot' life-raft accessory that replaces Scorponok is compatible with the Decepticon Pave Lows?

Cliffjumper
2010-01-29, 03:21 PM
Actually, don't worry, my impulsive nature has rendered the "what colour is Grindor" part as something I can answer myself in 10-12 working days.

Cliffjumper
2010-02-04, 02:01 PM
Nah, he's more sort of off-white. I'm kinda wondering whether it's worth opening him now...

Still, super-recommend for ebay seller thomasisthenumber1 (http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/thomasisthenumber1/) - 4 working days transatlantic shipping for a decent price.