PDA

View Full Version : USB Ravage--Its ALIVE!!!! [and info on KOs]

FortressMaximus
2010-02-02, 01:08 AM
WAY COOL!!! Ravage comes alive on your desktop and icons! Once you plug in the jumpdrive it allows you to upload programing to display a computerized Ravage that roams around the desktop screen and icons. He can roar, leap, prowl and eat the desktop icons! He sleeps and transforms from USB to cat. The icons can be restored by clicking on Ravage. It was a complete surprise and fun to watch! It was a great purchase!

Clay
2010-02-02, 01:20 AM
Just be careful with it. The thing is, in a word, brittle.

Sades
2010-02-02, 03:22 AM
That's something my brother might appreciate. I think I like the concept of a working USB thingie that transforms more. Birthday gift ahoy.

Brittle? That makes Sades a sad panda. :( I tend to be rough with things meant to be portable. Well- I tend to use them and throw them into bags and carry them with me, anyway.

Denyer
2010-02-02, 06:11 PM
This is why the flash drive on my keyring's made from titanium alloy... although the plastic one that was on there for a few years before it weathered the abuse pretty well, I now have far more other metal things on there now, and it was asking for trouble...

I wonder whether the KOs have the software...

Sades
2010-02-02, 11:26 PM
Yeah I have a generic plastic one that is more or less constantly kicking around in my bag. I don't dare put easily breakable things on my keyring- I have a lot of keys.

It'd be interesting to find out if the ko has the software. I somehow doubt it.

FortressMaximus
2010-02-03, 02:51 PM
I saw a posting for the KO USB Ravage from another site, it does not have the software and is not a functioning usb. Just a toy.

Ackula
2010-02-03, 03:14 PM
Hmmm, the KO seems to be listed as a USB drive on eBay, hopefully Denyer can clear it up when he gets one.. IIRC he is getting the KO.

On another note, you might want to avoid the random bolding of text for no real reason as it can rub some people the wrong way, is a bit annoying, and may remind people of someone else who was very unwanted here. ;)

Sades
2010-02-03, 06:03 PM
Ackula is correct... I almost had your leg for lunch, FortMax.

But if that's true, then that's kind of shit. Is it listed as a "toy USB" or somesuch? I guess we'll see what happens. Hopefully anyway, I'm as curious about the KO as the next.

Denyer
2010-02-03, 06:39 PM
is not active as a USB. Just a toy.
Actually, I suspect more than one company is producing KOs. Although at a guess the 16gb and 8gb models are probably fake capacity, odds are pretty good that they've paid the few cents to include 2gb of flash memory.

Whether they've bothered to put anything on it is another question.

I'm not fussed either way. It was cheap.

Heinrad
2010-02-04, 06:43 AM
My question is, is Ravage like the Deskmates program that I've got, or does he only do things when the Ravage USB drive is plugged in?

FortressMaximus
2010-02-04, 03:25 PM
I sorry...I didn't mean to offend anyone. I'm new here.

As to answer your question Heinrad.....the ravage program seems to only work when I have the Ravage USB plugged into my computer. It disengages when it is taken out.

Ackula
2010-02-04, 03:33 PM
Any chances for a screen shot of the program in action? I'm curious to see it now.

Sades
2010-02-04, 03:48 PM
I sorry...I didn't mean to offend anyone.

No offense taken I suspect, new peeps are usually allowed one or two. ;)

Heinrad
2010-02-04, 04:49 PM
There's some videos up on Youtube of Ravage in action. The resolution wasn't great, but he looked kind of annoyed if you grab him with the mounse and move him.

It also looks like you can switch between Ravage and Tigatron. As there appears to be a Cheetor one as well, why can't you switch to that one, too?

FortressMaximus
2010-02-05, 12:46 PM
I haven't seen an option to switch between Tigatron and Ravage with mine. Only Ravage.

Heinrad
2010-02-05, 04:47 PM
Odd. Eh, who knows. The person who made the video might have both of them. Which would explain the lack of Cheetor thing......

Definately liking the prices on the knock offs, if not so much liking the shipping charges.

One thing I'm thinking of doing is getting one of the KOs, then swapping out the USB drive with one with a bigger capacity, say 16 or 32 gigs. If nothing else, Ravage certainly matches the colorscheme of my TV better than the white and puceish USB drive I've got for it now, and it would be nice if he had enough storage space for plenty of videos.

borg72
2010-02-06, 06:51 PM
pre-ordered mine last year and got it a little before christmas.

i've not noticed any weakness, though i've been keeping him in panther mode on my desk... mostly he serves as a hiding-in-plain-sight backup drive. for the price, i'd be too gutted if i lost him anywhere. in drive mode, his paws and tail click into place, holding everything nice and solid. i suppose if im going to worry about any part, the tail is quite a long thin piece of plastic. if it did unclip in my bag, then that would be the first part to snap.

the onscreen ravage is cool, bt does indeed only actrivate if

A the software has been installed
(to this end, the drive also appears as a virtual cd drive from which you can install the 'transformers' software. the nstallation is simple, and in englsh)

B the installed software is running
(it sets itself up to run in te backgound in startup. uses a couple of MB of memory, if that)

C the drive is plugged in

at which point a model of the drive appears on the screen, and transforms into ravage (no noise though). he proceeds to jump about and eat icons etc (which do reappear on command, dont worry). he acts according to how aggressive you set him in the options menu, or you can have him do specific actions.

space on the drive is 2GB. not huge, but as i say, enough to back up my photos, written work, and music etc in event my computer splodes.

Denyer
2010-02-10, 06:31 PM
Beware. The memory checks out as genuine, but the mould isn't as pictured in the auction; someone's attempted to recreate it rather than copied.

Advertised (and probably by other sellers, too):

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/55/jaguarusbflashdriveblkm.th.png (http://img18.imageshack.us/i/jaguarusbflashdriveblkm.png/)

Actual (does look a bit better than pictured there, the problem is essentially that the body is too long as built):

http://kotoys.com/kotoys.php?id=788&cat=Device+Label&name=Ravage+USB+Shell+without+Memory

Seller sends registered, so non-delivery claims may not be an option.

Might be the starting point for a custom, though. Best thing to do is probably to remove the USB circuitboard, drill a 2.5mm hole through the body and find a rod to put through. If I can do that, I'll have a crack at making a 'Nightstalker'.

Denyer
2010-02-10, 07:31 PM
Oh, and it won't transform if you mod it. The reason they've changed the design, I think, is to incorporate existing flash memory circuitboards -- instead of getting particularly short ones, the body has been extended.

If the USB function had been abandoned, the mould would be as the regular one.

Sades
2010-02-10, 10:03 PM
Ohhhkay. So it's the somewhat less awesome version that's advertised on kotoys, except it does have memory. Interesting.

Denyer
2010-02-16, 11:42 AM
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9676/dscn3445.jpg (http://img251.imageshack.us/i/dscn3445.jpg/)

Just waiting on an Autobot (http://s90690880.onlinehome.us/jhiaxus/ukcomics/nightstalker.htm) symbol, and to try to work out shoulder cannons or something similar. May paint the legs silver with a Sharpie, since it's not like it still transforms.