PDA

View Full Version : Here's a wacky thought relating to AHM...

Halfshell
2010-02-09, 09:35 AM
And stop me if this is stupid or unworkable or somebody else has already covered it...

But you know that really odd bit where Megatron's just randomly walking around with the Matrix? The bit that's never really relevant again* and doesn't make much sense given that, from what we'd already seen, the Matrix wasn't a physical artifact and had passed to Galvatron anyway. That bit, yeah?

* - Well, not really relevant again until Coda, but the less said about that the better.

Would it have made more sense if, rather than walking around with the Matrix, he'd been shown walking around with The Magnificence?

I mean, other than eliminating the oddness about the Matrix, it would:
- Explain neatly and crisply exactly how Megatron managed to get whatever access codes were needed (ie, he asked it)
- Have eliminated the bizarre and senseless Hunter/Sunstreaker plot, instead resolving the "traitor" plot with the simple straightforward bluff of "there wasn't one"
- Explained Megatron's acquisition of spacebridge tech in a manner that didn't involve a nonsensical deal with Sixshot
- And, crucially, have answered the still-lingering question of "what the **** happened to the Magnificence?"

Or am I just talking gibberish?

inflatable dalek
2010-02-09, 10:46 AM
Yep, it makes much more sense, though it still wouldn't explain the way that during that page New York began its bizarre habit of changing between looking normal but ruined and looking like a bunch of Megatron built phallic symbols. It's almost as if no one had a ****ing clue.

Mind, even if you were to replace the Matrix with a pancake it would still make more sense than what we got.

Terome
2010-02-09, 01:25 PM
Does it show up my hopelessly misplaced faith in mankind that I thought the Magnificence was definitely going to show up at some point in AHM? I mean, it had to, really.

Hot Rod filling the role of 'traitor by proxy' would have worked too. It's almost a 1986 movie reference - did you hear that, Mr. Schmidt?

Come to think of it, I also spent a good deal of Maximum Dinosaurs thinking the same thing. That is far too much brain-power devoted to a lame-duck plot device like the Magnificence. I wonder if even Roche 'N Roberts will bother to come back to it now. Those poor men. They are indeed more sinned against than sinning.

And I'd forgotten all about that Starscream Coda story until you brought it up just then. It's amazing how much amnesia that Last Stand has thrown up in this little part of the world...

inflatable dalek
2010-02-09, 01:42 PM
It's certainly something IDW do need to deal with, pretty much every writer to have included Hot Rod in their stories since Revelation (and that includes Mr. Furman) is guilty of ignoring the elephant in the room. Did that continuimiumium thing bother to deal with it?

Terome
2010-02-09, 01:54 PM
Did that continuimiumium thing bother to deal with it?

Wiki says no...

It's certainly something IDW do need to deal with,

I imagine it will fall to R & R to clean it up. This continuity's gone Phase 6 and they're the last resort.

Maybe Jetfire gave it to New Cybertron as a christening present. Remember that one - New Cybertron? Good lord.

Rack 'n Ruin
2010-02-09, 01:57 PM
I imagine it will fall to R & R to clean it up.

Good grief! Don't look at me. I have even less clue of what is going on than the writers and editors at IDW!

Terome
2010-02-09, 01:59 PM
Good grief! Don't look at me. I have even less clue of what is going on than the writers and editors at IDW!

Perfect! Have a 12 issue series. We're thinking Joe Ng. See you in a year.

inflatable dalek
2010-02-09, 02:24 PM
I imagine it will fall to R & R to clean it up. This continuity's gone Phase 6 and they're the only ones who seem to care and don't write like monkeys.

Fixed that for you.

Maybe Jetfire gave it to New Cybertron as a christening present. Remember that one - New Cybertron? Good lord.

Let us never speak of that again.

The only way you could manage that would be if you were three blind hedgehogs in a bag.

Perfect! Have a 12 issue series. We're thinking Joe Ng. See you in a year.

I'm actually nostalgic for the days of Ng. At least unlike Guido he could draw more than one face.

[Now I've firmly given up the comics expect me to carry on like an ex-smoker about them for some time.]

Prowl1984
2010-02-09, 10:29 PM
I actually quite enjoyed AHM, warts n all... :sweatdrop

Terome
2010-02-09, 10:57 PM
Get his legs!

inflatable dalek
2010-02-09, 11:13 PM
Get his legs!

Lets sell him some magic beans first.

Prowl1984
2010-02-10, 04:43 PM
ok not as much as other parts of the IDW run but i've always seen Transformers as being rife with continuity errors, incorrectly drawn characters, and plot holes the size of Hasselhoff's ego. As such i always give it a lot more breathing space compared to other comics that I read and tend to place it in the "bit of fun" category...please don't hurt me...

inflatable dalek
2010-02-10, 05:16 PM
ok not as much as other parts of the IDW run but i've always seen Transformers as being rife with continuity errors, incorrectly drawn characters, and plot holes the size of Hasselhoff's ego. As such i always give it a lot more breathing space compared to other comics that I read and tend to place it in the "bit of fun" category...please don't hurt me...

The fact there's been shit put out under the brand name before doesn't actually stop the current stuff being shit though does it?

Prowl1984
2010-02-10, 07:16 PM
ahh Touche... The only real let down for me was coda...and how they hastily "wrapped up" the First Ark...erm...arc at the end of Revelation. I've enjoyed the Spotlights right the way through, with the exception of Metroplex and Cliffjumper.

Auntie Slag
2010-02-26, 10:19 AM
What was wrong with the Metroplex story? I quite enjoyed that. Sixshot & the Throttlebots, the suggestion that Goldbug is his own character rather than a reformed Bumblebee etc.

Halfshell
2010-02-26, 02:36 PM
What was wrong with the Metroplex story?

Let's ignore the logistical issues and implications of Metroplex hiding as part of an abandoned city [Don't think about it! It's not relevant!] and start with "how is Sixshot alive?"

Auntie Slag
2010-02-26, 02:43 PM
Wasn't it all 'dark soul forged in the fires of fleet street', waterproof up to 50 metres and can leap a tall building in a single bound?

Continuity based.. is this to do with him getting deactivated by Starscream's secret password (which was probably 'Password') in Devastation and then turning up on Metroplex's doorstep, or have I a missed a bit.

I've probably missed a bit...

inflatable dalek
2010-02-26, 02:47 PM
He became a braindead zombie warrior who should either be proper dead or deactivated and in Autobot hands. Perhaps they mailed him back?

I actually though Sixshot in Metroplex was a continuity shift that worked, his fun and breazy having the time of his life character was much more fun than the dreary old "Blah blah bal duty boredom inner conflict" one we had before.

Auntie Slag
2010-02-26, 02:52 PM
Maybe he's on loan for a season, with the password taped to his back for easy reference. Be nice if he left a card, though, in a Milk Tray style.

Please not braindead.

Cliffjumper
2010-02-26, 02:53 PM
Sixshot had a personality before Spotlight Metroplex? As in one of his own rather than a stock one?

inflatable dalek
2010-02-26, 03:00 PM
Sure he had a unique personality. He was a Decepticon who didn't like Megatron and tried to do him in. Cool bananas.

Halfshell
2010-02-26, 03:00 PM
I don't have a problem with the revitalisation in terms of his behaviour. I just refuse to buy for even a second the explanation we're being fed.

That, having turned on Megatron and been deactivated by Starscream, then reanimated as a remote-controlled puppet of Jhiaxus, the dormant chassis of Sixshot managed to negotiate a deal that essentially comprises "hey, Megatron, if you bring me back to life and forget about the whole me-trying-to-kill-you thing, I'll let you have the spacebridge technology that you had to walk past in order to find my body".

Okay, a possible explanation is that all Jhiaxus' puppets regained their own life and control over their bodies upon him being decapitated... and that Sixshot retained knowledge of the spacebridge tech by way of some wacky psychic-connection to his puppet-master. Which could explain why Bludgeon and the Monstructor Six are running about in... er, wherever it was we saw them running about. But really? Seriously? Bludgeon and the Pretender Monsters were alive when they were hijacked and placed under control (well, Bludgers was in cold spark storage). Do we believe for a second that the denouement of Revelation was immediately suffixed by Thunderwing going on another rampage?

As explanations go, it's the sort of tenuous hoop-jumping fanwank that normally arises off the back of a shit episode of RTD's Doctor Who.

Taken entirely on its own merits, "Sixshot's corpse traded the spacebridge tech for his life and freedom" is utter, utter bobbins. And a shit excuse, because, let's face it, there's not a shortage of characters that could have been used in his stead. It's not as if he's even the Decepticons' only "phase 6"er. Although that's a retcon, it's not exactly a radical notion - unless we're to believe that the Decepticons only ever infiltrated one planet at a time (which we know not to be the case).

Auntie Slag
2010-02-26, 03:08 PM
Being able to trade when dead shirley has massive implications for eBay and Gumtree. My score could be limitless.

Damn, I'm out of my depth here. Really need to Amazon up a copy of Stormbringer and others. That's the problem when I scan stuff without buying in Forbidden Planet.

[Edit] And they missed a golden chance to shoehorn Spanner back in the storyline. And Shoehorn for that matter.

inflatable dalek
2010-02-26, 03:12 PM
If small cameos from obscure characters from Uncle Bob comics floats you're boat Scrounge showing up (only to die straight away) in Metroplex must have been a highlight.

Auntie Slag
2010-02-26, 03:34 PM
Sadly it wasn't done with enough nuance or style to elicit even the tiniest stirrings of ejaculate.

Especially after reading Graham Thompson's fantastic 'Killshot', nothing else Scrounge related compares. Unless some talented chap goes totally LSOTW on Scrounge. Wiki reports that James Roberts is working with Roche on said min-series from Issue 2 onwards.

That's me ordering my first ever TPB without hint of backing down on the idea. Mr. Roberts can certainly have my children once I get them (or most bits of them), imported in from Brazil.