PDA

View Full Version : Name this (car) toyline

borg72
2010-02-24, 12:12 AM
OK, so it's a line of largely matchbox/corgi type cars (they're like the ancestors to hot wheels to you young 'uns), that in themselves are relatively normal, but have snap-on plastic 'battle armor' (in an unpainted navy blue/teal colour?) that turns them into armored mad-max style cars.

I also know there was a 'ruined' statue of liberty playset, an accompanying kids comic/magazine (at least in the UK), and some kind of helicopter carry case. The line was, of course, divided into 'good guys' and 'bad guys'.

Ii think the line was relatively limited, or only really had one or two waves. Incessant googling has resulted in nothing, though it doesn't help that I cant remember any of the names associated wit it, not even who made it.

Was from the mid/late-90's. Any ideas?

Sades
2010-02-24, 12:57 AM
Googled and came up with "Hot Wheels Road Wars".

optimusskids
2010-02-24, 07:03 AM
If not what you were thinking of definitely something very similar

http://www.madmaxmodels.com/roadblasters.html

Sades
2010-02-24, 08:40 AM
Lemme put it this way- google this:

ruined statue of liberty playset

You will have your answer.

Ackula
2010-02-24, 03:15 PM
Quite right, I actually do remember this. It was called Hot Wheels Road Wars Liberty Base. Unless of course there were more than one toy exactly like you described. :D

borg72
2010-02-24, 09:14 PM
If not what you were thinking of definitely something very similar

http://www.madmaxmodels.com/roadblasters.html

apparently i have been mentally confusing/merging these two toylines for years. road warriors is indeed the magazine/playset i was thinking of, but the above link has (the) two cars i had as a kid. learn something new every day.

Cliffjumper
2010-02-24, 09:27 PM
Now it's been posted, I really remember Roadblasters, though it always got mixed up with Parasites in my mind. Matchbox really got their money's worth out of some of those toys, didn't they?

Halfshell
2010-02-24, 09:32 PM
OK, so it's a line of largely matchbox/corgi type cars (they're like the ancestors to hot wheels to you young 'uns), that in themselves are relatively normal, but have snap-on plastic 'battle armor' (in an unpainted navy blue/teal colour?) that turns them into armored mad-max style cars.

Ahahahahahaha.

I've had one of those sat on my computer desk for the past three years, meaning to actually get round to finding out what it is.

This thread = WIN.