PDA

View Full Version : Transformers #7-12 (Ongoing) / Vol. 2 TPB

zigzagger
2010-05-26, 06:48 AM
This is your all purpose Transformers #7 reaction and discussion thread.

Out May 26th.

Preview @ Comics Continuum (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1005/25/idwfirsts.htm).

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/137/transformers71.th.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/i/transformers71.jpg/)http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5808/transformers72.th.jpg (http://img444.imageshack.us/i/transformers72.jpg/)http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6338/transformers73.th.jpg (http://img707.imageshack.us/i/transformers73.jpg/)http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4634/transformers74.th.jpg (http://img338.imageshack.us/i/transformers74.jpg/)http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6670/transformers75.th.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/transformers75.jpg/)http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7921/transformers76.th.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/i/transformers76.jpg/)

Paul053
2010-05-26, 01:48 PM
Don't know about other people but the shadow/camouflage/shine or whatever it is thing looks terrible to me.

Commander Shockwav
2010-05-26, 09:44 PM
Okay, so I read it.

I guess we can now understand how the bumbling, bickering Autobots stranded on Earth have survived this long. Apparently, their enemies are even bigger idiots.

Where the Autobots have proven themselves quite adept at hiding in the deep recesses of caves, the Decepticons have revealed themselves to be quite proficient at savagely eating each other alive whilst stranded on an asteroid.

Is it wrong to feel empowered as a human being while reading this? Suddenly, this issue has inspired me with confidence. I can, without reservation, say I am ready to face any intergalactic robotic threat knowing full well that, despite my weak organic frame, I am intellectually superior in every facet.

And the coloring? Sheesh, what the hell happened? Everyone looked like Generation 2 Megatron. It must really suck to draw something that could potentially shine like in the Prowl Spotlight and then have something like this happen to it. Sorry to see that happen E.J. Damn shame.

And what was up with that deranged Con busting through the wall screaming "death to tyrants!". Hypoenergonic reaction leading to madness? I literally laughed out loud at how ridiculous that was. I mean, Decepticons are tyrants. Just weird.

And what the heck is Shockers doing there? And how are cerebro-shells new when they were present in the Blaster spotlight? And why treat a beloved character like Darkwing like that? I'm all for character deaths, but come on! What a way to go.

The only positive I could find in this was Megatron's internal monologue. Thought that was well done. Again, I think Costa has consistently been strong in the dialogue department.

Sometimes, the art can save a poorly scripted comic or at least make it worth my time. Not so here, unfortunately, as both the art and story combine to give us one of the worst TF comic reads since some of those last few AHM issues.

Bitterly disappointed. Give it a "D". For "Disappointment".

Paul053
2010-05-27, 03:18 PM
How about "C" for "crap"? :)

As I mentioned before, I hate the robots drawing but human parts are better IMO. Good thing EJ is not drawing next issue.

I actually laughed when Starscream screams at Bombshell "what are you doing here" as Bombshell looks just like a lab rat.

What happened to these people? Looked at last page and Bumblebee is now back to a Beetle. Don upgraded him to a Camaro like car and now he seems like changed back. If he stays this way after, this feels like a slap on Don's face.

Warcry
2010-05-28, 06:27 PM
And what was up with that deranged Con busting through the wall screaming "death to tyrants!". Hypoenergonic reaction leading to madness? I literally laughed out loud at how ridiculous that was. I mean, Decepticons are tyrants. Just weird.
And from Quake of all people, too. It's baffling.

Like a typical Costa issue, nothing happened and everyone was out of character. In the 80s (or in Wreckers) this would have been told in about four pages. I could go on, but why? I'll just be saying the same things next month, if I bother to read #8.

The camouflage-style shading was really ugly too, but I could get past that if the story was any good.

Cliffjumper
2010-05-29, 04:22 AM
What the Hell was that? 20-odd pages of absolute **** all.

The Quake thing was, as said, absolutely hilarious. The cerebro shells (I guess these ones are new because they appear to be Bombshell reissue figures) came a close second.

Denyer
2010-05-29, 09:42 AM
Picked up, and I love the art on the whole. Haven't liked Don's movie-influenced designs at all.

If TF numbers and resources are dramatically reduced on both sides, it sort of -- sort of -- makes makes sense that individual planets become more of a concern, and not just something to nuke.

As a spotlight-type issue, disregarding years of other stuff and assuming I've stumbled into a parallel universe late at night, it doesn't work too badly. About fifty issues of material have been ignored or shat on, but that's par for the course every time the TF license changes hands. If you consider it did that after Revelation in every way that matters, discard Maximum Dinobots for achieving next-to-nothing, and don't ask too many questions about how Wreckers can be so astute with storytelling whilst the tone reboot has wasted pages like nobody's business... this was a fun enough five-minute gaze into that parallel universe.

#8 is far from a sure purchase.

Blackjack
2010-06-01, 01:59 PM
Times like this, I love Rapidshare.

The art's better than Don's movie/G1 hybrid, although why they insist on giving everyone leprosy is beyond me.

However, the story falls short. Can't say anything that hadn't been said above. Dreadwind and Quake are killed just for the hell of it. And Quake... first appearance since, what, that 2003 Wreckers comic? And he acts out of character for all of three/four frames and dies. Dreadwind's death is needless too.

And that's not counting the Decepticons having outposts all over the galaxy. Whatever happened to the Thanatos and that station Sixshot was stationed at? Or those Decepticon raiding parties mentioned in AHM?

The cerebro-shells at least give some leeway for the 'Bombshell' seen in Spotlight Blaster. That, and the art, are the only good things in this issue.

Cliffjumper
2010-06-01, 07:41 PM
And he acts out of character for all of three/four frames and dies.

Dying stupidly is Quake's character.

Wildrider
2010-06-09, 06:28 PM
Hmm the art is really nice, but I thought the shading weirdness was something to do with the asteroid, I was a little freaked out when I saw it on everyone, it ruins the art for me. I'm probably the least critical usually.

Agree with Denyer I wasn't a fan of Don's work up so was glad of the change up, Su's style here is great, but the colouring like I said, it's just, ugly, or lazy, or both.

I actually quite liked Quake's death, just for Bombshell's bemused reaction, sure it's a dead Quake, but it's a bemused Bombshell! Would have been more amusing if Starscream hadn't fired though.

I'd accept the Insecticons turning to cannabalism, but Needlenose? Weird, what's up with the rubbish Dreadwind, last time I read about him and Darkwing was when they showed their survivalist colours in 'Stormbringer', I've missed out a lot since then.

Is this part of the disregard everything you've read before, including last issue, format to IDW's ongoing?

Commander Shockwav
2010-06-10, 01:37 AM
Transformers #8 reaction thread.

Preview @ BZZURKK (http://www.bzzurkk.com/content.php/550-Transformers-8-Preview).

- ziggy

----

TF/Avengers? Not the worst TF comics after all.

"F"

Thank you.

Brimstone
2010-06-10, 05:22 PM
I actually quite enjoyed this one.

The line "I just wanted to prove that just one of us can take one of you down" was great! When the 'Con gives up and says "okay, you win, take me in" Spike's response of "You still haven't realized what's going on here yet" or something like that...and the dawning that Scrapper has that he's about to die. Just awesome. It was very Watchmen-esque.

This was actaully a really good issue in my opinion, maybe my favorite so far of the on-going. Also...that one page must have been just a bad drawing, most of the rest of comic, Spike looked more like the Spike from the previous issues.

Commander Shockwav
2010-06-10, 11:39 PM
This was actaully a really good issue in my opinion, maybe my favorite so far of the on-going.

Can you please step out of the car, sir, and walk this white line?

Red Dave Prime
2010-06-11, 11:37 AM
I think the shading issue is all down to EJ - looks like its lines pencilled in for a distinct style. Cant say it appeals, but the general robot drawing is good.

I didnt think it was the worst issue but I'm really not interested in Transformers fighting for scraps of energon. We've done that, lets move on.

Also thought the quake bit could have been done better. He just appears and off we go from there. Might have been better if quake was bombshells test subject and starscream could make an off hand comment that zombie quake is no exsistent and he should die - which he would then do.

Anyway, onwards we go. Hopefully they can reestablish the decepticons as a proper force -at the moment I just feel sorry for them.

snavej
2010-06-11, 11:44 AM
Plotwise, this issue is a big stretch. Spike was incredibly lucky. Scavenger was very unprepared. I know that Scrapper was probably distracted by many things (being a fugitive, sense of arrogance, lack of energon, preoccupation with plans of various kinds, etc.) but I think that he would have set up some countermeasures for sneak attacks, which happen very often in Transformer war. I was thinking of something like this non-lethal millimetre-wave weapon:

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/05/breaking2453405.0868055555.html

Or, then again, there could have been something lethal like a few landmines with tripwires. There are so many other possible countermeasures. Also, Scrapper should have had automatic fight or flight reflexes, triggered when approached by something unusual like an extremely confident human speaking to a Transformer in a threatening manner. Remember what just happened to Megatron! If iPhones can 'have an app for that', Transformers can have a programme that automatically guides them in emergency combat or retreat scenarios.

Having seen plenty of construction workers in my time, not many of them sit around under heavy objects dangling from cranes. It's tempting fate. Scrapper should have known that, being a master builder and a genius apparently.

By the way, I would not like to be an inquisitive toddler in Spike's kitchen. Those chemicals were nasty, whatever they were.

Brimstone
2010-06-11, 01:19 PM
Can you please step out of the car, sir, and walk this white line?:)

Let's just say it ended really strongly for me.

Red Dave Prime
2010-07-13, 05:41 PM
Very late to pick this up but I cant say it disagreed with me too much. Ok, the idea of Spike taking down a constructicon with a bottle of home-made acid is more than a little silly, the basic idea of spike wanting revenge and actually executing (not killing) a con is decent and if it gets brought up again could lead to Optimus for once questioning his love of the humans (which never sits right with me in the idw verse but hey, thats nothing new...)

Back to the issue, I liked the art. Its not too flash or anything but its clear whats going on at al times.

Not too bad really. But where we go from here ("Next Issue: COMBAT!"), is a whole different matter.

zigzagger
2010-07-14, 09:02 PM
You know the drill. It's your Transformers #9 reaction thread thingy.

Out today.

Preview @ Comics Continuum (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1007/13/idwfirsts.htm).

Commander Shockwav
2010-07-14, 11:45 PM
Read it. In six minutes.

The first ten pages are scenes of the Combaticons trashing humans. The average number of panels in these pages is 3.6 (not even four) and the average number of word balloons per page is 1.2. Yeah, almost one speech balloon per page, and three of those speech balloons are "halt", "okay, boss", and "excellent".

Now, I'm actually a big fan of telling a story through the art alone ala that entire G.I.Joe issue from Marvel back in the day that was wordless altogether. But devoting ten pages to Combaticon mayhem? Too much. Why not keep those very same panels, but shrink them down to span three pages, leaving seven extra pages of storytelling?

The Combaticons are set up as a credible threat through these sequences and some of Prime's dialogue. I don't have a problem showing why the Combaticons should be feared. Given they are the focal threat of this arc, it's expected. But ten pages, almost half a comic, devoted to having them destroy human installations is just inexcusable.

The idea that the humans were kind enough to supply the totally inept Autobots with a ship for Springer's crew is awful. Just awful. Since when were humans more capable that Transformers at intergalactic space travel?

Guido's art is appropriate here. It very much resembles the cartoon, which this comic seems to be on par with intellectually.

Give it a "C-", which is generous and likely due to it being in succession to the last issue. The plot for this arc is laid out, but this could have been done in half the space.

I'm feeling very much cheated by this experience. One or two competent issues in the first nine does not warrant my $3.99 a month. Put me in the camp for putting Roche, or even bringing back Simon if you can't manage that, back on the ongoing. I think Andy is a stand up guy, but we need a new editor if this kind of approach is going to be allowed to stand.

I just can't justify buying this anymore, and I've bought every TF comic since Marvel #1. I will continue to read this series, but it will be either by my reading my brother's copy or waiting for the trade, not by buying my own.

zigzagger
2010-07-15, 02:09 AM
The idea that the humans were kind enough to supply the totally inept Autobots with a ship for Springer's crew is awful. Just awful. Since when were humans more capable that Transformers at intergalactic space travel?

Wait...what? Seriously?

GAH!

Grayfox
2010-07-16, 10:54 AM
Just found it on IDW forum:

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?p=192762#192762

Nothing big: Spike haircut seen in #8 became "official"This just blows my mind. You can't deviate from Spike's haircut, but the basic designs of main characters can just change at random? For all the arbitrary and pointless changes the Autobots go through, Spike may as well be a black midget with a handlebar mustache and an over-sized novelty sombrero. It would be roughly as consistent.

Yeah, apparently consistency in drawing Spike haircut is more important than character design.

Blackjack
2010-07-16, 11:06 AM
Ahahahaha.

Ignoring all the plot/storyline jabs:

Blurr alternate between his new Don Earth design nearly every month.

Bumblebee and Jetfire turn back to their -ions bodies after Don left the scene.

We haven't got an explanation for the Seekers and Ratbat's retro-alternate modes in AHM.

By AHM, nearly everyone who had a Uniclassics toy out at that time were changed without explanation other than the 'two year gap'. (Barring Bee, Cliffjumper, Ironhide and Ratchet)

They changed poor Bluestreak's name into Silverstreak, even in flashback scenes.

Everyone got hammered into retro-designs in Bumblebee for no decent reason.

And all they cared about is a hairstyle for Spike? Something that TFWiki (these are the guys that claimed Bluestreak used Prowl's character model in the 1986 Movie) didn't even notice? God damn it.

Blackjack
2010-07-16, 11:31 AM
The first ten pages are scenes of the Combaticons trashing humans. The average number of panels in these pages is 3.6 (not even four) and the average number of word balloons per page is 1.2. Yeah, almost one speech balloon per page, and three of those speech balloons are "halt", "okay, boss", and "excellent".

I don't really mind dialogue-less comics. The Ravage piece done by Furman is decent, even if it is about double the length it should be. Ditto for AHM's first three issues. But Rapidshare doesn't hurt my wallet, so I enjoyed the thing.

Rather than six-panel pages with overblown, banal dialogue that could've just as well be blank voice boxes that we saw in Bumblebee, or the Fallen's rubbish monologue, or the Spike/Optimus scenes in the ongoing, I'd prefer pictures of Decepticons blowing up shite. Less painful to look at.

Still, I haven't read the issue proper so I couldn't really know whether the Combaticon scenes are any good.

****YOU, Costa! :o

Even MacCarthy didn't do something so stupid... what, a quick 'Jetfire salvaged the rocket that Rodimus and co. built' is too hard to write?

snavej
2010-07-16, 12:40 PM
Continuity issues are a bee-otch. I try to disregard most of them or I'd go crazy and start arranging my shoes in order of attractiveness to animals, or some such thing.

Hairstyles are more important than character when the audience is presumed to be - or actually is - more visually focused than emotionally or socially focused.

Commander Shockwav
2010-07-16, 12:52 PM
Rather than six-panel pages with overblown, banal dialogue that could've just as well be blank voice boxes that we saw in Bumblebee, or the Fallen's rubbish monologue, or the Spike/Optimus scenes in the ongoing, I'd prefer pictures of Decepticons blowing up shite. Less painful to look at.

Just wanted to make it clear, I certainly don't mind panels of just action. In fact, I wouldn't mind having an entire issue with no words and just action.

What I do mind is doing so by putting three panels a page for ten ****ing pages.

Blackjack
2010-07-17, 11:01 AM
I read the issue proper today, and I understood what Shockwav meant.

In a Furman-penned issue, there would be text boxes. 'The humans are arrogant in their belief that their installation is secure.' 'Their world is about to end in a blaze of fire.' or something flowery along those lines.

And goddamn it... they kept Spike's hairstyle from last issue, but Jetfire and Cliffjumper are back to their G1 bodies?

Grayfox
2010-07-18, 09:59 PM
Even if the artist didn’t want to draw with Don’s style, at least respect the poor guy enough to work around his designs. Nick Roche could do that with Ultra Magnus. Why couldn’t Guido?

From what I read on IDW board, Guido did draw TFs in similar style Don did, but then IDW asked him to not bother, and to redraw (I think) about ten pages he already made in his own style. :/

Blackjack
2010-07-19, 08:06 AM
From what I read on IDW board, Guido did draw TFs in similar style Don did, but then IDW asked him to not bother, and to redraw (I think) about ten pages he already made in his own style. :/

Really?

Guido went all the trouble to respect another artist's work, and IDW told him to **** off and redo everything in GEEWUN style? I mean, redoing ten pages' worth of Autobots into an incorrect style? Screw IDW.... at least Dreamwave had a 'house art' style.

Can we get links?

Grayfox
2010-07-19, 09:09 AM
Can we get links?

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?p=192461#192461

Last post on this page:

Actually at first I was using Don's designs, then I was asked to do my own thing. Because of that and other reasons almost half of #9 pages have been re-drawn from scratch of heavily patched with changes. This didn't happen with #10-12, you'll see.

Blackjack
2010-07-19, 09:24 AM
So... why, exactly, did IDW want to do this? Guido seems to be a decent fellow (after reading through two pages) and is happy that IDW gave him freedom, but he seems a little miffled that he's asked not to draw pre-established designs.

Regardless, I've edited my review to reflect this- otherwise I've pinpointed Guido as the bad guy, heh. [/embarrassed]

Red Dave Prime
2010-07-20, 10:14 PM
In fairness, maybe they've taken onboard the criticism of the hugely varied character designs and have decided to just revert back to the G1 style which, while different with each artist, ultimately feel universal. Unlike Dons style which altough likeable didnt blend in with anyone else.

Back to the issue and getting past the huge waste of pages at the start (something which every IDW issue of late, bar roches stuff, seems to do)
and this has some nice ideas. I hope to jesus that we dont see swindle join up with the combaticons because he's a great little character on his own but I'm guessing Blast off is providing cover from above (and jamming radar and such what) It would be nice if he had a new alt form - maybe a satalite like Movie Soundwave. If Banzai-tron is behind this I'll be very impressed. The combaticons were his guys in the -ation series.

Also could be interesting if North Korea is using the seeded ore-13. Its a perfect time to introduce it and would give the combaticons a real sense of danger if they had managed to iron out the wrinkles in it.

AND its possible that kim jong is a facsimile - one of furmans idea which I thought really made sense with the style of decepticons infiltrating a planet and setting everyone against each other.

Also liked the WMD thing. Costa could use this to look at how western countries can justify having their own WMD (france, us etc.) while trying to stop other countries from using it. It actually reminded me of how when I first read infiltration I thought how well transformers could latch onto the idea of a hidden terriorist threat usurping a country (or planet in this case)from within and explore the suspicion that would befall the general populace. Not sure if its where Costa is going but a fan can dream.

Of course, the next issue could just read like an episode of the a-team but lets see.

Blackjack
2010-07-21, 08:28 AM
In fairness, maybe they've taken onboard the criticism of the hugely varied character designs and have decided to just revert back to the G1 style which, while different with each artist, ultimately feel universal. Unlike Dons style which altough likeable didnt blend in with anyone else.

I don't mind Don's style being changed back to a more... classic style.

It's the body designs that piss me off. Without the 'one year/three years' excuse that AHM and the Ongoing had, there is no reason why Cliffjumper suddenly has his hood on his legs instead of his chest. I mean, in LSOTW #5 Nick Roche drew Ultra Magnus in his Don-version body, but rendered in a classic style.

It's like how Blurr changes bodies between appearances, a testament of the complete incompetence of the editors and proofreaders.

And the thing that pissed me off was that Guido actually apparently already drew those in the Ongoing's body designs (with his own art style), but IDW told him to **** it up.

Back to the issue and getting past the huge waste of pages at the start (something which every IDW issue of late, bar roches stuff, seems to do) and this has some nice ideas. I hope to jesus that we dont see swindle join up with the combaticons because he's a great little character on his own but I'm guessing Blast off is providing cover from above (and jamming radar and such what) It would be nice if he had a new alt form - maybe a satalite like Movie Soundwave. If Banzai-tron is behind this I'll be very impressed. The combaticons were his guys in the -ation series.

Pretty sure that the Skywatch guys mentioned Blast Off (not by name, but as someone who watches from above or somesuch). They did say that there were four Combaticons, right?

But the whole 'enough energon for five transformers' thing implies that Swindle has hooked up with the Combaticons. However, if Costa is leading us on a wild goose chase, and that the whole 'mercenary Combaticons' thing is just a charade, then it would make my day.

Also could be interesting if North Korea is using the seeded ore-13. Its a perfect time to introduce it and would give the combaticons a real sense of danger if they had managed to iron out the wrinkles in it.

AND its possible that kim jong is a facsimile - one of furmans idea which I thought really made sense with the style of decepticons infiltrating a planet and setting everyone against each other.

Let's hope so, eh? For someone who forgot that the Transformers' war is intergalactical with shuttles going from one planet to another, so being stranded on Earth (and a dead asteroid) is mostly bollocks.

Red Dave Prime
2010-07-21, 09:52 AM
so being stranded on Earth (and a dead asteroid) is mostly bollocks.

Absolutely. Of Movie Devastator proportions Bollocks.

I'm guessing that the decepticons stuck on the asteroid is merely to explain why they are out of the picture. As for the autobots... Well, now they have energon , I guess they can use Omega Supreme and gradually their factory lines can start making more ships.

Blackjack
2010-07-21, 12:28 PM
I'm guessing that the decepticons stuck on the asteroid is merely to explain why they are out of the picture. As for the autobots... Well, now they have energon , I guess they can use Omega Supreme and gradually their factory lines can start making more ships.

Decepticons: While Starscream/Megatron's group might be low on energon and whatnot, at the very least Shockwave had a shuttle given to him by Overlord. And the other Decepticons are said to have defeated Autobots all over the galaxy in AHM. Even if many shuttles are torn apart during the purge, at the very least they should have had a base or two left, no?

Autobots: in Spotlight Prowl more Autobots are said to have arrived on Earth (Jetfire, Windcharger et al). What did they arrive in, if not shuttles? While it's more likely for the Autobots to be stranded than the Decepticons, being shuttle-less is not likely. Being short of fuel seems to be likely, but then Rodimus and co. wouldn't be building a shuttle if they had several stashed somewhere.

All in all, it's just an awkward excuse for Costa to ignore continuity and do his thing. That's my two cents on it, anyway.

Terome
2010-07-28, 12:13 PM
Oof. It was a mistake to read this one.

zigzagger
2010-08-11, 09:07 AM
Transformers #10 reaction and discussion thread.

Out August 11.

Preview @ Comixology (http://www.comixology.com/previews/JUN100316/Transformers-Ongoing-10?utm_campaign=rss&utm_term=preview%252bJUN100316).

Skyquake87
2010-08-11, 08:00 PM
This was by far the most disappointing issue of a series that still hasn't got off the ground. A few interesting diversions at the start of the run (Thundercracker's almost 'Spotlight'-like issue, and the Decepticons and Autobots working together) have been swept away in favour of a 'seen it before' yawn fest of the Autobots allied to the human military. It might be so any new readers familiar with the LAM can pick this up, but jesus its f**king dull. Costa, like other Transformers writers before him, doesn't seem to know how to write for Prime and so he's sidelined, moping about in a cell for no good reason.

Is there any game plan for this title? Will even the current arc about the Combaticons amount to anything? Or will it just fizzle out and be another idea with potential that doesn't go anywhere?

I'm at a loss with Transformers comics. They used to be the key part of my enjoyment of this passion of mine, but wherever you look, be it Titan or IDW, there's nothing of serious interest being written. I can't believe that out of the last five-six years of comics from IDW, there's only five issues (LSOTW) that are actually worth the bother of reading and engage and involve the reader. Thats an incredibly poor showing, whichever way you look at it. and it makes me sad.

Here's hoping IDW wise up and give Roche and Roberts some more writing duties.

Warcry
2010-08-13, 02:36 AM
I enjoyed this more than any of the other issues of the Ongoing so far. That said, it wasn't very good and I'm glad I didn't spend money on it. The first five pages, which we saw in the preview, were dire. After that, though, stuff actually happens. The premise of the story (Autobots can't fight in robot mode so they strap giant sci-fi guns onto their vehicle modes) reads like something out of the cartoon, but it makes for a fairly interesting fight scene.

Unfortunately, the issue is still weighed down by a lot of negatives.
The usual characterization issues: Smokescreen and Onslaught are both portrayed as morons and Jetfire has apparently forgotten the fighting skills he had during Stormbringer. Also, despite Optimus not being in charge of the Autobots anymore, he's obviously in charge.

Apparently Kim Jong Il Jr. is going to be a major character in this arc, because we're treated to a scene of him berating the Combaticons for not being Communist enough and them grovelling to him for energon. Yay?

Despite Swindle never being seen as a part of the Combaticons before, Vortex and Brawl seem to think he's the indispensable linchpin of the team.

The art is absolutely dire in some places, and looks as bad as the uninked Wildman art that was used in the second War Within miniseries.

The Autobots are taking orders from Spike. On the up-side, Optimus goes out of his way to tell the guy that he's an inept cock.

Spike and the Autobots genuinely seem to think that a bunch of weapon-equipped vehicles showing up and fighting the Combaticons won't be suspicious.

Despite being heavily-armed in vehicle mode before (their medic carried SAM missiles, for instance) the Autobots now need to have weapons specially mounted to fight as vehicles.

The surprise reveal at the end of the issue was spoiled by cover solicits three or four months ago.
In spite of the numerous horrible flaws, this issue is still a major improvement compared to the series to date. Unfortunately, "readable and vaguely entertaining" still falls way below "good", and "good" is the target they need to be aiming for.

snavej
2010-08-13, 03:14 PM
I think that we're in 'Team America' territory. Kim Jong-Il may soon start singing 'I'm so ronery!'. However, there have been rumours of him suffering diabetes, strokes and cancer, so the song might not be sung.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-il

Knightdramon
2010-08-14, 11:48 PM
Yeap, they really did BUTCHER Onslaught, but I'm thinking they can easily pull an 180 degrees rotation and say he was playing the humans, acting dumb and so on.

Swindle being part of the Combaticons in this continuity seems a bit odd, but it can always be worked that he was exiled from them for his illegal munitions trading\selling\whatever.

Jetfire was shown to be at least managing his own in a fight back in Stormbringer 1\SL: Arcee. Here he was downplayed a lot. Also, regarding the Autobots not raising any eyebrows by staying in their vehicle modes...Jetfire's still a CYBERTRONIAN jet.

Cliffjumper was miscoloured as Smokescreen in a panel.

EDIT: Broadside is a boat. A big, gunner boat. Jetfire is a jet. When Jetfire slammed on Broadside, I laughed at their almost toy-accurate scale.

And for the love of all that's good and merry, stop changing their robot\alt modes every damn issue.

Blackjack
2010-08-15, 06:24 AM
Read it.

It's not good like the Ironhide mini, or issues three to five, but still readable. But hanging onto 'readable' isn't something that'll mean good, surely?

Oh, and changing the bodies every damned issue is rubbish. Jetfire changes from his Classics body (Spotlight Prowl) to Don design (issues one to six) then back to his G1 character model. It's annoying and frankly rubbish.

Denyer
2010-08-15, 03:07 PM
This is the All-Star Batman & Robin of Transformers comics, isn't it?

Red Dave Prime
2010-08-16, 08:01 PM
urgh....

Just got this today. Its a very slight read isnt it?. Its fine but doesnt really grab, and my intial enthusiasim for some of the ideas it might contain has dropped. There just doesnt seem to be a real hook to the plot and it lacks realism in the spots where it should have. I know its giant transforming robots but that doesnt mean the humans need to be done so unrealistically.

Dont mind the dumb approach with the combaticons - not every con should be an evil military genius (yeah, I know its not the toy specs but so what) or vortex taking out jetfire. That feels fair enough (in stormbringer Jetfire doesnt really fight much - Dreamwaves Jetfire was much more combat ready)

I guess the problem with the ongoing is that it still feels like its threading water. Kinda like we're waiting for Galvatron to show up or Megatron to return.

Also think its worth saying that as someone pointed out in the Ironhide thread, the ironhide mini could be run as part of the ongoing. At the moment the ongoing tends to have only one focus at a time where as if they had of mingled Bumblebess (god-awful) mini, Prowls Spotlight and the Ironhide mini into the ongoing as side stories it would have benefitted the whole IDW transformers set up as a whole.

LSOTW is fine as a seperate series because its so self contained and I imagine Drift will mostly follow in that vein. But a lot of what the seperate minis contain need to be refered to back in the ongoing. So why not put them in there? It would help with the variety in the main comic and might help remove the still amazing amount of page wastage that each issue goes through - the first 3 pages of nearly every issue involves a shot of a location and then a few more atmosphere setting panels before any story is dealt with.

Its amazing to think that we are 19 issues (10 ongoing, 4 Ironhide, 4 bumblebee and 1 SL:Prowl) into Costas work. So far I have to say I prefered McCarthys bungled but entertaining "epic".

Grayfox
2010-08-19, 09:24 AM
4 bumblebee

Bumblebee was writen by Zander Cannon.

Red Dave Prime
2010-08-19, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I know Bumblebee was written (and I use that word loosely) by cannon, but it must have had some input or direction from costa as it specifically deals with Bee becoming the leader. I really feel it should have been incorporated into the ongoing while the menasor stuff was going on.

zigzagger
2010-09-15, 05:34 AM
This is your all purpose Transformers #11 reaction and discussion thread.

Out September 15.

Preview @ Comics Continuum (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1009/14/idwfirsts.htm).

Denyer
2010-09-15, 10:06 PM
Someone who's read the last few issues, rather than just the previews in a vain hope something (anything) will appear to suggest it's worth getting back into: does this have any plot trajectory other than trying to see how long it can be strung out before being cancelled?

Springer85
2010-09-20, 08:53 PM
No reviews yet? Have people given up on this series? :p

Blackjack
2010-09-21, 10:46 AM
Someone who's read the last few issues, rather than just the previews in a vain hope something (anything) will appear to suggest it's worth getting back into: does this have any plot trajectory other than trying to see how long it can be strung out before being cancelled?

Nah, it's completely bollocks. Weak attempts at humour, at using second-rate characters, at weak references to past continuity, but completely botching it up with wrong characterizations. The humans are rubbish, Onslaught is a clueless idiot, Spike is anal while Thundercracker is basically distilled to an uninteresting bad-guy-turned-good. And Costa couldn't decide whether he wants Optimus to be still leading the Autobots or not.

Plot threads are dropped and are forgotten, left for other miniseries or an issue two or three months down the road to pick up.

And there's this whole attempt at doing seriousness with international stuff and all that -- Furman did it better with Escalation.

I mean, there's a lot of potential with the plot threads but Costa seems intent on writing a story that's basically a G1 cartoon episode, only that it's trying to act serious. Not working.

No reviews yet? Have people given up on this series?

Haven't bothered to even download this crap from Rapidshare. Maybe when I feel bored and the computer is on. :o

Plus, reviewing Beast Wars is less of a headache.

Auntie Slag
2010-09-21, 04:09 PM
God is it really that bad? How do they view the output of 20-odd years ago? Do they pick out the best of the Marvel G1 and G2 stories and benchmark their own ideas of thrills and spills for an on-going comic against that?

And if not, why not? I remember full well picking up my old Transformers comics from the newsagent as a kid and knowing if it was going to be somewhat duff the moment I clapped eyes on the horrendous Delbo artwork (although he did draw good hands), but other issues you knew would be a bit of a rip-roaring ride; when you could safely associate the art being attached to a good writer (Simpson, Senior etc).

Take the UK and US treatment of the Headmasters introduction for example. Only two issues for the latter, and it scorched along. I loved those TWO issues.

And I see that kind of spit-shine polish in 'Last Stand of the Wreckers', so what's stopping the on-going staff from seeing the same? They've got a licence to do something great, and their stablemates have pulled off an absolute blinder with 'Wreckers'.

If anything this is a proper Warner Bros of the 40's moment, where the writers of Daffy, Bugs etc would try and outdo each other with every successive cartoon.

It doesn't feel like that here. Although I do like some of it. The one where Spike takes out Scrapper for instance I thought was very well done, and the ultimate update of humans/Josie Beller/Neo Knights vs. robots without being too lame. In actual fact, I LOVE the idea of kitchen cleaning products being able to take down a Transformer. It's hardly a million miles away from the live action movies, where the humans' 'rain' artillery appears a billion times more effective than any robots laser weapon.

Its not a nightmare of a series in my eyes, and there's some cool elements, but it could do with a bit more oomph to give you that 'Beyond good, beyond evil, beyond your wildest imagination' blurb that was on the back of the TF:TM VHS release all those years ago.

If I was sitting at a desk being PAID to write Transformers, I'd have that in my head. Massive bastard robots for christ sake!

Just ordered my TPB of Last Stand of the Wreckers from Amazon too.

SQUEE!

Paul053
2010-09-22, 01:45 PM
No reviews yet? Have people given up on this series? :p

About to I think. Already so disappointed after #7. Finally saw #8 few days ago and then #9 but not #10 yet. Uhhhhh, what the heck are those. :wtf: And the #11 just spend pages with bad jokes which can probably be done in much fewer.

Red Dave Prime
2010-09-29, 12:55 PM
Jeez, this is bad...

Instead of reviewing this, I'm just gonna list faults. The issue wouldnt have been so bad but all these niggles just added up and pissed me off. Apologies for spoilers but I dont know if anyone is left reading this anymore

1. Whats with the covers IDW? The predacons are clearly shown on mine despite the fact they are the (supposed) suprise reveal at the end.

2. Theres a nice touch with cosmos blocking the satalite feeds from Korea so the Autobots can assume robot mode and not get america in shit. 2 problems surface here. Why is Ratchet able to attack Vortex in Robot mode before Cosmos switches the feed and why (oh why) didnt they do this the first time?

3. The art is so rushed in parts. I like Guido but this doesnt do him justice. We are also still wasting so much pages on HUGE panels. The storyboarding of the panels is also poor - no attempt at anything other than straight head story telling. The Thundercracker scene with Bumblebee at the start is just large panels of their heads and it goes on for 5 pages. Theres no sense of drama or dynamics to make it visual interesting.

4. While there are a few attempts at character development, nothing much happens in this issue. The autobots rectify their mistake from last issue with an obvious solution. It feels like an episode of the G1 cartoon - and not one of the better ones. Basically the script is dull and the predacons appearing on behalf of china doesnt look like it will lead to anything other than another rumble next issue.

5. Being that all thunderwing does is a few back up attacks, why did we spend 5 pages convincing him at the start. They dont even play up the combaticons reaction to being attacked by a fellow con.

In short - really pointless issue. The ongoing is going nowhere. Worth pointing out that after 11 (!) issues, I can honestly say I got a lot more out of AHM.

Paul053
2010-09-29, 03:05 PM
Think I have answers for few of them.

2. Theres a nice touch with cosmos blocking the satalite feeds from Korea so the Autobots can assume robot mode and not get america in shit. 2 problems surface here. Why is Ratchet able to attack Vortex in Robot mode before Cosmos switches the feed and why (oh why) didnt they do this the first time?

I think the one they want to block is Optimus Prime. Cuz the government (and I think other nations, too) knows they have OP in stock, but no others as Spike just simply hide them in the basement. Well, let's say other nations knows Americans have OP but no others. Hmmmm, further thought, I think I'm wrong, this is just simply a typical G1 cartoon mistake.

3. The art is so rushed in parts. I like Guido but this doesnt do him justice. We are also still wasting so much pages on HUGE panels. The storyboarding of the panels is also poor - no attempt at anything other than straight head story telling. The Thundercracker scene with Bumblebee at the start is just large panels of their heads and it goes on for 5 pages. Theres no sense of drama or dynamics to make it visual interesting.

It is really wasting space, but does that mean that's just not much story to be covered? If there are many things to say, Guido will be forced to shrink the panels to put stuffs in. On the other hand, he is now forced to make it big to make enough pages.

4. While there are a few attempts at character development, nothing much happens in this issue. The autobots rectify their mistake from last issue with an obvious solution. It feels like an episode of the G1 cartoon - and not one of the better ones. Basically the script is dull and the predacons appearing on behalf of china doesnt look like it will lead to anything other than another rumble next issue.

Didn't some people complain there were not much fighting in the previous 6 issues? Now they are making it. Oh, I think they forgot to complain there were not much story either.

5. Being that all thunderwing does is a few back up attacks, why did we spend 5 pages convincing him at the start. They dont even play up the combaticons reaction to being attacked by a fellow con.

I think you mean Thundercracker. I think he covered his Decepticon symbol and pretend to be a human jet to attack them. And dumb as combaticons just don't know....... Okay, bad answer, also another typical G1 cartoon error.

In short - really pointless issue. The ongoing is going nowhere. Worth pointing out that after 11 (!) issues, I can honestly say I got a lot more out of AHM.

They tried to show Autobots were lost and confused after the war ended, but I think they make themselves lost and confused, too. Guess now they wake up (or not yet) and tried to bring the story back (and also Optimus back) but still can't due to the previous mistakes are too big, so bring up those nonsense battle is their way.

To you conclusion,
Jeez, this is bad...

Red Dave Prime
2010-09-29, 05:21 PM
Paul, I think you put more thought into your answers than IDW. Nice to see someone else is still reading this, I feel less foolish. You raised some good points so in response

Indeed I did mean Thundercracker.

You may be right about the satalite coverage being prime specific but I was under the impression that they just didnt want other nations to see skywatch working with autobots. I didnt consider that.

My main gripe about the first scene with Cracker and Bee isnt so much that its a conversation between the two, but rather the art direction is so stilted. Its just 2 robots taking. Theres no effort to liven it up by maybe showing images of what bumblebee or thundercracker are taking about. And as conversations go, its pretty basic. Nothing about it was particularly well written or plot altering.

The problem here is that its not one individual big flaw thats bringing the comic down (altough you could saw the overly simplistic direction is a major bugbear) but rather its a lot of indiviual guffaws that annoy.

Prime1
2010-10-05, 11:28 AM
IDW has completely dropped the ball

So can somebody actually explain to me just where in the heck did the combaticons and predacons come from? Where they in AHM but just forgot to be mentioned

This bothers me so much, Its like in the ongoing we've had so many different cons on earth that were not mentioned or even hinted at in AHM, which makes me feel burned on AHM, so just off the top of my head, Thrust, the stunticons, combaticons, predacons, were all on earth during AHM, but never heard of or even mentioned, but now all of a sudden their on earth

This is just bad storytelling all the way around, Its like IDW thinks that if they make something and put Transformers on it, we will buy it, which I admit was true, until now

I mean look at the ongoing, In AHM humans were defenseless against the decepticons, the decepticons supposedly brought the earth to its knees, attacking every relivant nation on this planet, and now after all of that, and in a short 3 yrs, humans are now actually on basically the same level as the transformers, and now actually one human is enough to kill a TF, come on, again this is just bad storytelling

Why would decepticons follow orders from any human dictator, I mean if your going to put the US on such a pedestal as mentioned above, how in the world is a nation like N.Korea that advanced to control TF's and such powerful TF's at that, the combaticons seem rather stupid for lack of a better word, and as to why they aren't plotting against the koreans is beyond me, they don't even seem like decepticons

IDW's TF's storyline is completely jacked up, everything is inconsistent, its just bad and I won't continue to spend on my money on this

Paul053
2010-10-20, 08:24 PM
No body even bothers posting the 5 page preview now. So I just did.

http://www.comixology.com/previews/AUG100317/0/

And just read the whole thing last night. Damn, it's just totally ......................................... Hold my mouth now as I can't find anything to describe it. Wait until some of you guys read it.

Springer85
2010-10-22, 12:14 AM
I thought the ending was pretty random. Like an attempt to attract readers or something. :|

Whatever happened to simple storytelling? Why not just take 5 or 6 Autobots and start writing a story involving them and build from there? Why toss so many mechs in one comic? :sweatdrop

What the heck is going on in this series?! :deadhorse:

Heinrad
2010-10-22, 05:23 AM
In Costa's defense, he inherited this mess. And if he's sticking to the "write a big arc for TPB sales" mindset, all we're going to get are huge numbers of characters.

Just read it. Not bad. Of course, I haven't read the series since issue 4, so I'm a little lost.

Auntie Slag
2010-10-22, 11:02 AM
Which Transformer is gonna represent Wales then, eh?

I'd quite like one of the Dinobots by the Severn bridge toll:

Snarl: "You set foot over yer boy, an' ill deck you"

Gruff Rhys: "Ah leave go, Snarl, fair play"

Snarl: "Alright then... just pretend I 'aven't seen you, right?"

*casually slays Bonnie Tyler*

Gruff Rhys: "fcuks sake Snarl, man"

Do that in three panels, then go back to the main story.

Blackjack
2010-10-23, 06:53 AM
Comparing it with AHM... AHM had at least made an 'epic'-ish kind of story, with lots of interesting concepts (if undeveloped), poor pacing, only failing in the second half due to fitting too many things inside. In twelve issues things actually happen.

The ongoing... we spend the first six issues asserting which bits of the Furmanverse and AHM-verse that Costa likes, we get several decent issues, a crappy resolution. By the time we reach the next six-issue arc, the things just go randomly, and 'International Incident' is the worst ever plotline to follow on when stuff like Ultra Magnus and Hot Rod still remains unresolved. Plus, there's just too much pages spent on the new Skywatch, which is shite.

Coupled with the inconsistent art, terrible jokes, repetitive dialogue, people acting in the opposite direction of their original characterization with no good reason (in AHM at least Perceptor had an origin that actually made sense, and they made him cool), bloody Skywatch, Spike Witwicky, random people being inserted then disappearing, Predacons appearing out of nowhere...

The first six issues showed promise and hope. 'International Incident' killed it off.

I have to review this sometime down the road, don't I? -groans-

Paul053
2010-10-25, 04:20 PM
In Costa's defense, he inherited this mess. And if he's sticking to the "write a big arc for TPB sales" mindset, all we're going to get are huge numbers of characters.

Just read it. Not bad. Of course, I haven't read the series since issue 4, so I'm a little lost.

So he solved his mistake of making Bumblebee a leader by killing him with a human gun from the pocket (and revive him later)? Then Optimus won't have any excuses to return as a leader in preparation for Megatron's return (http://ryalltime.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/infestransformers/layout-1-11/) in the future (#14 or #15)? How many pages have they spent on Bumblee and the guy who I don't care trying to bring the satellite back while other Autobots were being ass kicked outside?

I have to review this sometime down the road, don't I? -groans-

Ya! And I can't wait to read it. It will be much, much more enjoyable than this series. ;)

Prime1
2010-10-25, 05:38 PM
Well im just going to be honest, these first 12 issues of the ongoing are the worst 12 issues of any TF comic ever!!

The 1st 6 weren't great but it was tolerable, but the last 6 issues are down right horrible

Lets examine what's wrong here, IDW pushed issue #1 like it had some type of ground breaking situation, where Prime surrenders to the humans in hope that HIS autobots can find a better way without him, through 12 freaking issues, I have not seen this shown from the perspective of any autobots as to how they have gotten so called better from Prime surrendering himself, it's like WTF a slap in the face, Now it would have been better had Prime surrendered himself as a way to make peace with the humans, kinda like if two sides dont trust each other at some point somebody has to put themselves out there and hope for the best, but in the ongoing Prime just surrenders, and see if that is Primes original intention, why not just mention that, that's not one of those things that you want to get down the line later and so oh that's what Prime was doing, geez again bad story telling

And lets be honest IDW TF's at the moment are nothing but a slap in the face, this is the question I really need answered, why is Bumblebee the leader? I mean WTF, what does this or has this done for the story, besides nothing??? I mean if Megatron or any big Decepticon shows up, who is gonna have to step in and save the day? Bumblebee?? NO? It's gonna be Prime as evidenced in ongoing arc 1, and ongoing arc 2, so again why in the F is Bumblebee the leader? when he cannot fight against any big decepticons and he is nothing when it comes to being a strategist, again bad story telling

AHM cast, Megatron, Seekers, Soundwave and crew and the Constructicons, Astrotrain, Blitzwing, Reflector, and the insecticons, who showed up during, Octane/Tankor and that other decepticon that was hiding with the us army. Yea I get it there were other decepticons present on earth during AHM that weren't "featured" characters, but in the ongoing so far the Stunticons, Combaticons, and Predacons show up with no explanation, and its a slap in the face with no eplanation, so were just to assume that they were there and got left behind? WTF, again bad story telling`

Three years ago the Decepticons brought the earth to its knees, and now in three years the earth has been pretty much rebuilt and the humans are almost technologically almost on the level of beings who have been doing this for millions of years and are robots, and to top it of, we have a Macguyer/Rambo hybrid in Spike who can kill decepticons with laundry detergent or anything else you can find in bathroom, but seriously humans can compete with TF's? WTF, again bad story telling

My number 1 complaint though is this, the ongoing is just a bad story, In the movies you have what Humans and TF's teaming up together to stop Decepticons, and in the ongoing you have what TF's teaming up with humans to stop Decepticons. IDW don't you think that the ongoing should be going in a different direction then whats already going on in the movies, If i wanted Autobots and humans teaming up, I'd actually bother to watch revenge of the fallen again

It's like somebody already said before, I don't really think these comics are geared for a fan like me, who they are geared for I don't know, but they are not geared for me

For these 12 issues it cost me $52 bucks, so until the ongoing actually gets better, i'll be at barnes and noble reading the trade for arc 3

Red Dave Prime
2010-10-26, 01:37 AM
sigh....

So arc 2 is over. And what a joy it was. Badly drawn (or was it rushed? GG has trouble with humans but I've always thought his robots were great) and very, very badly plotted. The first 3 issues could have been condensed into 1 and a half issues easy. Maybe even 1 issue would have done it. The climax issue isnt absolutely rotten - the pacing is nearly ok. The main problem is that it is so very silly.

Russia knows automatically that the Predacons are with china and the Combaticons are with North Korea but cant figure out the Autobots are with America? They fire a nuke (a ****ing nuke!!) but thats ok, Prime and the boys solve everything in the end... by getting rid of the energon factory! Hurrah! The outcome is straight out of the g1 cartoon. Its far, far too simplistic for the audience that I imagine is buying it. G1 was 25 years ago, far too say that its fans are around that age.

Than we have the assasination of Bumblebee (altough given the previous track record of IDWs run I'm sure he'll be fine). He gets taken out by a single human with a hand gun. A HAND GUN! Sure, the humans have gained some tech over the last 3 years but come on! If they have that powerful an arsenal than I cant see how they see the transformers as a threat.

Since Costa has taken over, we've gotten so many badly thought-through ideas its unreal. Heres my favourites:

Optimus prime surrenders - but still leads the autobots.
The decepticons become cannibals (I get taking energon from another con but why eat his tail wing?)
Humans having weapons that are tiny and yet cause massive damage
Rodimus - wrong choice of character for that role completely
Autobots stranded on Earth.. but plenty still in space who could pick them up
Rampage hinting at a coup to take control of the decepticons from starscream - while his elite unit work for china on earth (maybe the terrorcons could have done that role)
Humans can build energon factories but transformers cant.

With this arc over and no other books lined up on the horizon, I'm thinking maybe I should cancel my standing order. Amazing to think that this is the same company that produced Last stand of the wreckers.

Paul053
2010-10-26, 03:45 PM
My number 1 complaint though is this, the ongoing is just a bad story, In the movies you have what Humans and TF's teaming up together to stop Decepticons, and in the ongoing you have what TF's teaming up with humans to stop Decepticons. IDW don't you think that the ongoing should be going in a different direction then whats already going on in the movies, If i wanted Autobots and humans teaming up, I'd actually bother to watch revenge of the fallen again

Yes, because of the movies that makes Bumblebee popular, IDW made him the leader. Yes, because of the movies that makes Bumblebee look cool, IDW upgraded his look. Yes, because of the movies, IDW made Autobots team up with humans but forgot most of the big AHM Decepticons were hiding in space. For all these mess, let's all blame on Bay. No, we can't. It's IDW's Grimlock brain to blame at.

Now another interesting thought, Hot Rod got mad and attacked humans after seeing them killed Ironhide. What about Brawn as he was standing next to Bumblebee? He is as much hot head as Hot Rod and not anything better than him by lifting a tank with frustration. If IDW wants to save their reputation back, they should have at least 3 pages long in issue 13 of Autobots shooting humans around like Decepticons did in the beginning of AHM, before moving the story to space with Hot Rod screwing with Starscream. Oh wait, 3 pages brings nothing now, let's make it 5 pages.

Prime1
2010-10-26, 04:28 PM
Rampage hinting at a coup to take control of the decepticons from starscream - while his elite unit work for china on earth (maybe the terrorcons could have done that role)
Humans can build energon factories but transformers cant.

I know that you meant Razorclaw:), but anyway, you pointing this out really gets me to thinking, like seriously can we take ANY Decepticon serious whether it's Starscream or Razorclaw or anybody else for that matter, when we KNOW Megatron is coming back? Again the ongoing is just bad, very bad

Again it's like the human's have evolved, I mean seriously how can we have a story with TF's, where they are the ones scared of humans, and humans aren't afaid of them, when we just had AHM showing humans as helpless little creatures

I remember IDW saying that they gave Costa the reign because he had the best pitch of stories so to speak, with what he's given us so far I'd hate to hear what the other pitches that didn't make it were

I mean these stories are beyond sunbowish. The major thing IDW has to realize with a TF G1 license is that, it is limited with what its gonna sale, because the reality is that G1 is for us late twenties, early thirties people, and they have to realize that we don't want sunbow, if we want sunbow we will watch the TF cartoon(because Im sure everybody that posts on this website has atleast season 1 on DVD), the only thing I hate about them taking this direction with the book is that so many people like me will stop buying the book and then we won't have anything left of G1, but seriously IDW has to understand that they are only going to sale 10,000-12,000 books a issue and get over it, and go back to making books that we want, instead of trying to dumb the book down to get more sales

Red Dave Prime
2010-10-26, 05:33 PM
Indeed I did mean razorclaw.

Good point about the sales but I reckon if we had a few arcs each year instead of the ongoing and they were of the ambition if not standard of lsotw IDw might experience better sales long term as people will read a quality book.

snavej
2010-10-26, 05:55 PM
That little gun at the end could have been Megatron himself. He is awake and could have found a way to get back to Earth, if only his mind. Alternatively, he could have left powerful handguns with his facsimiles.

Red Dave Prime
2010-10-26, 06:06 PM
Yeah, the thought did go into my head, especially as the gun seems to have a silencer. if that is the case though you have to wonder how mega got to earth bearing in mind his condition five issues ago.

I can't buy the idea that a pistol that small could have that much power. If it's mega (or even shockwave in small form) fine. Urgh but fine. If it's not...

snavej
2010-10-26, 06:17 PM
Megatron might have sent his mind as a communication through hyperspace. (The holographic Doctor did it on Star Trek: Voyager!) The door to hyperspace could have been opened by the engines of his ship. He could have had a spare body stashed on Earth, in pistol mode.

The 'too-much-power' issue has always been contentious. Stargate episodes explain such things as 'Zero Point Modules' that pull energy out of the quantum foam, i.e. out of empty space, other dimensions or other realities.

Commander Shockwav
2010-10-26, 06:31 PM
(Joint review of #10-12)

Okay, so admittedly, there were parts of this I enjoyed. I smiled some. Other times though, I cringed.

I would say that the strongest aspect of this story is the character focus and dialogue. Costa is adept at building up his characters and he's good with character interaction. I particularly enjoyed the interaction of Bumblebee and Thundercracker. (And damn, can Guido draw a kickass TC!) Very much enjoyed the character of Vortex. Laughed audibly regarding his comments about the Autobots sending Jetfire after him. Want to see more of this kind of thing. Also, the fight scenes involving the Combaticons were quite good. Nice to see Onslaught holding his own (somewhat) against Prime.

But are these things enough to distract from the painfully annoying concept that Transformers, even vicious hate-mongering Decepticons, must be beholden to petty humans? The scene with the Combaticons groveling before Korean heads of state is perhaps the worst scene in this story. Please, these are Decepticons! Combaticons! Robotic warriors from a war world. Currently residing on a planet they almost just destroyed.

The most unnecessary element? Just when you thought it unacceptable that the Combaticons were human pets, enter China's own pet cat, Rampage and his fellow Predacons. Thankfully, Razorclaw is spared the humiliation, and is absent from this story. Their presence made the final issue the worst for me.

There were other nuisances, like Bumblebee taking on his movie form, providing the painful reminder that the creators aren't as free to do with this comic as they please. Nice to see Bumblebee get his ass shot by a human pistol after that ridiculous speech.

Give this story a "C+". If one can get past the overall premise (and last time I checked, overall premises were important), there are things to like here, and it's probably worth a read. But brace yourself.

Red Dave Prime
2010-10-26, 06:51 PM
Megatron might have sent his mind as a communication through hyperspace. (The holographic Doctor did it on Star Trek: Voyager!) The door to hyperspace could have been opened by the engines of his ship. He could have had a spare body stashed on Earth, in pistol mode.

The 'too-much-power' issue has always been contentious. Stargate episodes explain such things as 'Zero Point Modules' that pull energy out of the quantum foam, i.e. out of empty space, other dimensions or other realities.

Oh just **** off with that.

Ahem..

Okay, so admittedly, there were parts of this I enjoyed. I smiled some. Other times though, I cringed.

I think thats a fair point. Its not all terrible but where it is bad, its amazingly bad. Takes all the good work down and fustrates even more.

Paul053
2010-10-26, 07:47 PM
Okay, so admittedly, there were parts of this I enjoyed. I smiled some. Other times though, I cringed. I think thats a fair point. Its not all terrible but where it is bad, its amazingly bad. Takes all the good work down and fustrates even more.

Isn't this kind of opposite than the movies? For the movies, generally we can tolerate the bad because the good are so good to bypass those bad, especially in RotF. Here, I was choked by those bad and couldn't swallow those good.

Commander Shockwav
2010-10-26, 08:06 PM
Sorry to say but I see no good whatsoever in Revenge of the Fallen.

Red Dave Prime
2010-10-26, 11:53 PM
I kinda agree. Theres some individual stand out scene but the plot is so bad it has trouble scene to scene let alone as a film overall. I prefer the first one by a long margin.

Blackjack
2010-10-27, 12:20 PM
Personally I never liked Costa's jokes. They seem cheap, lousy, and fall flat on their faces. The only one that made me chuckle was Vortex's "DEATH FROM ABOVE!" thing. And maybe Bluestreak and Brawn's little argument in 11.

Onslaught and Smokescreen act like total village idiots, the Skywatch agents (bar Spike, who's kind of okay once you ignore the rubbish issue 8) are all bland and uninteresting. The long, repetitive dialogue are banal, worse than those written by Furman and McCarthy.

The sight of Decepticons being forced to kowtow to humans, after Spike's illogical and humiliating takedown of Scrapper in issue 8, is rubbish. And while I might just buy Brawl or Rampage going with it, how does a military strategist and crack team commander like Onslaught work for a bunch of Koreans? Egad.

Guido's art works well for the Transformers, although it does fell kind of.. I dunno, scratchy compared to his work in AHM or Spotlight Galvatron. The humans' expressions look kind of creepy, and at some places the art just seems rushed. Can't stand Bumblebee's lips, for one, and I don't really like the colouring. Costa does seem to love multiple faceshots while two people are talking (BB and TC; Spike and Optimus et al), which, IMO, doesn't work too well.

Sorry to say but I see no good whatsoever in Revenge of the Fallen.

The Forest Fight. If that doesn't count as good in your eyes while stuff from IDW does, then there's something seriously wrong with you.

snavej
2010-10-27, 12:33 PM
Onslaught working for the North Koreans: I guess he's really desparate for any kind of support. In the real world, some commentators think that new leader Kim Jong-Un will open up the North Korean economy to limited foreign dealings. North Korea is in a bad state. People are starving in the street.

Blackjack
2010-10-27, 12:36 PM
Onslaught working for the North Koreans: I guess he's really desparate for any kind of support. In the real world, some commentators think that new leader Kim Jong-Un will open up the North Korean economy to limited foreign dealings. North Korea is in a bad state. People are starving in the street.

Onslaught is a military strategist leading one of the Decepticon army's crack team soldiers under Banzaitron. A guy like him needs to side with humans? Needs to kowtow and grovel like a lapdog?

Ally, maybe. Be a lapdog? No. The cartoon was more realistic than this, and that's saying something.

Commander Shockwav
2010-10-27, 03:23 PM
The Forest Fight. If that doesn't count as good in your eyes while stuff from IDW does, then there's something seriously wrong with you.

There must be then, because I don't find piles of metal shavings moving through a forest that appealing, whereas with IDW comics I can at least make out where one bot ends and the other begins.

Halfshell
2010-10-27, 05:05 PM
Right, I've not read the issue or the thread, but somebody reported a post in here so I'm putting my mod hat on. Drastic times, I know.

So, yeah. Whoever it is that is being complained about, behave.

There. I hope you've all learnt your lesson.

Red Dave Prime
2010-10-27, 06:49 PM
Is it coz I cussed at SnaveJ?

Halfshell
2010-10-27, 09:45 PM
It would be unjust of me to say exactly what happened, or to name names, but suffice to say that wrists have been slapped and people know the score.

I am doing a top job of moderationing. w00t woot. I'm well good at this job.

Red Dave Prime
2010-10-28, 10:46 AM
Good Good. Carry on fine sir, carry on.

snavej
2010-10-28, 12:35 PM
The 'lap-doggery' is probably a Decepticon deception.

Blackjack
2010-10-28, 01:13 PM
The 'lap-doggery' is probably a Decepticon deception.

And he had to confess to Vortex and Brawl that he doesn't have a real plan? When he's supposed to be a military strategist? Nope, badly-thought out plot points, that's all.

Red Dave Prime
2010-10-28, 01:31 PM
I dont think He IS a military strategist in Costas world. Compare the Combaticons who attacked the last resort to break out the Monstroctor 6 to this lot - hard to believe they are meant to be the same robots.

Maybe (and I'm just thinking aloud here) Costa hasnt really read the pre-costa stuff that much?

Paul053
2010-10-28, 02:36 PM
I dont think He IS a military strategist in Costas world. Compare the Combaticons who attacked the last resort to break out the Monstroctor 6 to this lot - hard to believe they are meant to be the same robots.

Yeah, I think Swindle is as Vortex already mumbled they need him.

Maybe (and I'm just thinking aloud here) Costa hasnt really read the pre-costa stuff that much?

Oh yeah. I don't even think he reads AHM. Or if he did, probably he didn't get it.

Drivaaar
2010-11-07, 11:06 PM
Finally got around to reading a friend's copy of this... which was good, 'cos I sure as shit ain't paying for this garbage.

Red Dave Prime
2010-11-07, 11:32 PM
NEXT UP:

PIGS (rodimus)....

IN....

SPAAAAAACE!!!!!!

xbox360
2010-11-16, 07:24 PM
The continuation of the Generation One-verse in comic form happens to be Transformers 'Ongoing'. If you've been following the series, perhaps you've been waiting for less dialog and a lot more action! Sadly we can't promise that you'll find any in 'Ongoing' #10, especially the way this preview is shaping up! We'll leave you to the comic's description, covers, and a snippet of the preview below..