PDA

View Full Version : Next Takara Masterpiece is Movie leader Starscream | also some bloke named Rodimus

Clay
2010-07-01, 12:18 PM
For reals, yo. (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/takara-tomy-announces-their-next-masterpiece---movie-starscream-170100/)

I guess that's just how good they feel about him.

Halfshell
2010-07-01, 12:28 PM
Okay then.

Rattrap's tail
2010-07-01, 12:40 PM
okay then, quite... unexpected...

BUT PLEASE, NO REPAINTS!

Halfshell
2010-07-01, 12:47 PM
It already is a repaint...

Brimstone
2010-07-01, 05:18 PM
That's crap! The Masterpiece are supposed to be vehicle and robot accurate. And I'll admit, this Starscream does a better job with the vehicle than the previous two movie Starscreams, but it's still crap. You can take the MP Starscream, Skywarp, or Thundercracker F-15 mode and use it as a display model for an F-15!

This is stupid.

/rant

Cliffjumper
2010-07-01, 05:22 PM
a display model for an F-15!

If you were carefully recreating some kind of Mardi Gras party airshow, anyway. There's no point in painstaking detail if you're going to colour the thing black and purple.

Brimstone
2010-07-01, 05:35 PM
If you were carefully recreating some kind of Mardi Gras party airshow, anyway. There's no point in painstaking detail if you're going to colour the thing black and purple.Well, the Japanese color schemes were better for that than the US versions. The US Navy had a test squadron that had some black jets (most famous was the F-4J, though I've seen pics of F-14s). They called the the Black Bunny jets. Don't know if there was an F-15 though.

Knightdramon
2010-07-01, 06:16 PM
It's not part of their regular MP line, it's called MP-M or whatever. I believe it's going to be a one-off. It's like Buster Optimus Prime, better paint job than the US version, but in a much fancier packaging.

Next real MP is Rodimus.

Cliffjumper
2010-07-01, 06:19 PM
Next real MP is Rodimus.

Who'll get the repaint for that one, then? Sizzle? Ruckus? Longtooth?

Brimstone
2010-07-01, 06:52 PM
Who'll get the repaint for that one, then? Sizzle? Ruckus? Longtooth?They could do Menasor again. heh heh

Seriously though, did I miss something, or is Rodimus really the next MP? I dont' recall hearing about that.

Clay
2010-07-01, 06:52 PM
If you were carefully recreating some kind of Mardi Gras party airshow, anyway. There's no point in painstaking detail if you're going to colour the thing black and purple.

I made much the same point years ago. (http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/mp_USstarscream.php)

The Takara versions, to their credit, are far more subdued and realistic in color. And this resulted in epic whining amongst fans because it wasn't colored like the original toy.

As far as the movie Starscream goes, it's fair enough to put it under the banner. Its alternate mode is no more wonky than Convoy's, and the robot is totally kittens.

Clay
2010-07-01, 07:01 PM
They could do Menasor again. heh heh

Seriously though, did I miss something, or is Rodimus really the next MP? I dont' recall hearing about that.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/takaratomy-masterpiece-rodimus-confirmed-170106/

Rattrap's tail
2010-07-02, 11:11 PM
It already is a repaint...

You know I'm talking about the other seekers eh???

It wasn't confirmed that it was a repaint, because the box-art showedsomething different then the tattooloess pictured toy.

Meantime
2010-07-03, 07:47 AM
lol I love Rodimus

Halfshell
2010-07-03, 10:26 AM
You know I'm talking about the other seekers eh???

I seldom know what you're talking about.

Rattrap's tail
2010-07-03, 12:18 PM
I seldom know what you're talking about.

I also talk seldom to you, so hat's settled then...

As for Rodimus, if it gets a decent robot mode and not too much of a turret/base thing and if it gets diecast, It might actually turn out to be awesome...

Halfshell
2010-07-03, 12:24 PM
I also talk seldom to you, so hat's settled then...

Actually every post on this forum is open for discussion by every member. So technically, unless you're specifically addressing somebody as in this instance you're talking to everybody. And if I can't understand you, I genuinely doubt I'm the only one.

As for Rodimus, if it gets a decent robot mode and not too much of a turret/base thing and if it gets diecast, It might actually turn out to be awesome...

So if one mode is decent and it's made of metal, it'll be awesome? Glad to see we've got such high standards.

Rattrap's tail
2010-07-03, 04:26 PM
Actually every post on this forum is open for discussion by every member. So technically, unless you're specifically addressing somebody as in this instance you're talking to everybody. And if I can't understand you, I genuinely doubt I'm the only one.

So if one mode is decent and it's made of metal, it'll be awesome? Glad to see we've got such high standards.

I was adressing you...

And yes. I don't care too much for verhicle mode, as I would personally keep it in bot mode. For me, that mode has priority above the vehicle mode. The metal is something I just want in there so yeah, I might have these standards when it comes to Masterpiece TF's. Any problem with that?

TMM
2010-07-03, 06:13 PM
I was adressing you...

And yes. I don't care too much for verhicle mode, as I would personally keep it in bot mode. For me, that mode has priority above the vehicle mode. The metal is something I just want in there so yeah, I might have these standards when it comes to Masterpiece TF's. Any problem with that?

The advantage is with the mo range, they tend to get both modes as accurate as they can so you should be satisfied. I think I agree though in the sense that I always want a better robot mode because that is what we see most of in the comics etc and also how I would display them

inflatable dalek
2010-07-03, 06:21 PM
Rodimus will probably be the Masterpiece Grimlock repaint.

Prowl1984
2010-07-03, 08:24 PM
Maximum Disappointment.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, why isn't there a MP Soundwave? It's weird considering he's one of the most iconic transformers out there. Most people who only watched the odd episode of G1 as a kid still remember Soundwave over most of the others. To hell with this movie nonsense! /geewun fanboy rant.

Catalyst Dragon
2010-07-03, 09:38 PM
The only Mp's I got are Megatron and the Walmart Skywarp.

Rodimus dosn't interest me... but a Soundwave would.

I'm still in the air on getting a MP Prime to stand beside Megs.

Clay
2010-07-14, 09:22 PM
Right, having now acquired a leader Starscream from Hasbro, I have to say that Takara can call it a masterpiece if they so wish.

It's purty. :o

So, yeah.

Brimstone
2010-07-15, 03:27 PM
Right, having now acquired a leader Starscream from Hasbro, I have to say that Takara can call it a masterpiece if they so wish.

It's purty. :oIn robot mode it's awesome! Jet mode...well, it is certainly sturdy...but I'm really disappointed with it. It's really no better than either of the previous versions in jet mode in my opinion.

Sades
2010-07-15, 04:56 PM
What? It's a seperate line entirely! I still demand an uber-Deluxe mode different from this one, preferably made from Platinum. Wearing a shiny Elvis jumpsuit. Reasonably priced, mind. I'm not paying out the nose for a toy. *derisive snort*

Interesting.

Clay
2010-07-22, 11:25 AM
Teaser sketch for Rodimus (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/masterpiece-rodimus-convoy-confirmed-170251/)

Shrapnel Clone
2010-07-22, 05:33 PM
Trailer sold seperately? :D

Not too excited about the sketch. I already know what Rodimus looks like.

----

Soundwave masterpiece? It would only be interesting for the cassettes. The original toy is already accurate, die cast and very cool.

Vin Ghostal
2010-07-22, 05:41 PM
Here's a silent prayer that they respect tradition and fuse Rodimus' legs together.

S_Windell
2010-07-22, 08:12 PM
Maximum Disappointment.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, why isn't there a MP Soundwave? It's weird considering he's one of the most iconic transformers out there. Most people who only watched the odd episode of G1 as a kid still remember Soundwave over most of the others. To hell with this movie nonsense! /geewun fanboy rant.

Yeah. Rodimus does make a certain amount of sense. But I've never understood Soundwave being downplayed a bit, he does seem the number three icon behind OP and Megs, at least in terms of average Joe remembering him.

And obviously the "cassette recorders aren't relevant for today" explanation wouldn't hold much water for a toyline that features F-15, Walther P38, and...dinosaur molds. If nothing else, his redeco potential is heavier than Rodimus'. :p

I hope the Rodimus will be able to convert to Hot Rod. That's what would push me to want one.

Cliffjumper
2010-07-22, 08:37 PM
With Soundwave I think the sheer quality of the original might well be a factor. He's one of the few genuine timeless classics of the G1 line, and what he lacks in modern Balljointed Automorphing Mech Alive Powerlinking Some Twat Designer's Name Worked Into The Paint Apps he more than makes up for in chunky chrome-buttoned spring-loaded battery-weapon retro charm.

Plus a Walther P38 might no longer be among the foremost handguns in the world, it's still a gun and therefore more exciting and marketable than a block which can hold other blocks. I don't think it's so much a matter of relevance as it is display value. At the same time, it should be remembered that Masterpiece figures creep out (how many numbers did they use before they produced a fourth mould?), Takara plainly have no design budget if Hasbro aren't paying them and that just because they're doing Rodimus at the moment doesn't mean they're all sitting there going "Boy, Soundwave sure was unpopular, let's not ****ing bother with him!".

Shrapnel Clone
2010-07-22, 08:37 PM
And obviously the "cassette recorders aren't relevant for today" explanation wouldn't hold much water for a toyline that features F-15, Walther P38, and...dinosaur molds.

Actually, jets and guns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxZ5WSUju04) still exist, so they are easy to recognize. Dinosaurs are as relevant now as they were in 1985.

But be honest, how many kids are going to recognize a portable cassette player (Walkman)? It basicly died because Discman ('84) and Minidisk ('92) obsoleted it. And both of those were then obsoleted by the MP3 player.

Sades
2010-07-22, 08:43 PM
I think the only Masterpiece Soundwave we're ever likely to see is going to be something akin to the movie "satellite" version, or if it's (old-skool) an online store exclusive. Which I'd be okay with, as it's a smart idea.

edit: But then again, what would they change to "justify" releasing a Masterpiece version? There was the reissue a few years back... there was Music Label... changing the fig to improve it slightly, maybe (it'd be nice to be able to pose)... are they going to send him along with extras? All the cassettes? A fuzzy pink pimp hat and bling?

Actually, I would now really like to see a fuzzy pink pimp hat and bling.

Rattrap's tail
2010-07-22, 11:35 PM
It could be done if they made it an iPod dock with speakers, a music label on steroids and then with casettes to replace the IPod/iPhone with when not in use.
I think that would be a pretty big money maker, although a pink hat wpuld make me happy too

S_Windell
2010-07-23, 02:07 AM
Actually, jets and guns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxZ5WSUju04) still exist, so they are easy to recognize. Dinosaurs are as relevant now as they were in 1985.

But be honest, how many kids are going to recognize a portable cassette player (Walkman)? It basicly died because Discman ('84) and Minidisk ('92) obsoleted it. And both of those were then obsoleted by the MP3 player.

I get what you're saying. At the same time I think you're underestimating how familiar younger people are with cassette players a bit. I saw a stock tape deck in a kid's PT Cruiser a while back. You'd think that's a recent enough car to have a CD player as a standard option. I was surprised though, you can't even buy anything to play in it now!

Another reason I don't get the relevance bit, the MP line seems to be predominantly bought by adult collectors who are fully aware of the characters, at least in the western part of the world. (I'm honestly not familiar with the Japanese market at all on this.) I'm also thinking about the repeated reissues of the original mold, which consistently sells, as well as the aforementioned redeco potential. :)

With Soundwave I think the sheer quality of the original might well be a factor. He's one of the few genuine timeless classics of the G1 line, and what he lacks in modern Balljointed Automorphing Mech Alive Powerlinking Some Twat Designer's Name Worked Into The Paint Apps he more than makes up for in chunky chrome-buttoned spring-loaded battery-weapon retro charm.

Yes! :) (The only thing I don't like about that mold, and it's a small sacrifice, is the reverse bend in the knees.) This is actually part of the reason I wouldn't be surprised to see an MP Soundwave. Popular character, makes for a decent toy, a consistent seller, why not? :up: I dunno, I just feel Soundwave in a Masterpiece box would really move.

Brimstone
2010-07-23, 02:56 PM
When did Masterpiece start caring about what young kids think? I highly doubt that something in the $100 price range is anything more than a collectable for nostalgic purposes. So Soundwave audio-recorder is just fine. :D

Clay
2010-07-23, 03:25 PM
The Music Label Soundwave is basically a dead ringer for the original, is super-wacky articulated, and is an actual, functional music player. I don't see what else is to be desired for a Soundwave update.

Halfshell
2010-07-23, 03:39 PM
The Music Label Soundwave is basically a dead ringer for the original, is super-wacky articulated, and is an actual, functional music player. I don't see what else is to be desired for a Soundwave update.

Maybe earphones that turn into Rumble and Frenzy?

Oh, wait.

Sades
2010-07-23, 04:06 PM
I don't see what else is to be desired for a Soundwave update.

Pimp accessory add-ons. Maybe some "pretty things" for the cassettes.

Paul053
2010-07-29, 03:10 PM
Some more news about MP Rodimus. (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/cybertron-con-mp-rodimus-prototype-images-and-more/19392/) And now BBTS has the pre-order bloody price $199.99. (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11138&mode=retail) Good! Now I have choices between FP and MP.

Paul053
2010-07-30, 04:35 PM
MP Rodimus prototype revealed. (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/more-pics-of-masterpiece-rodimus-prime-convoy-prototype/19406/)

Rack 'n Ruin
2010-07-31, 08:00 AM
I hope that the clear plastic stand shown propping Roddy up in robot mode is just an added safeguard for a flimsy prototype, rather than a proposed accesory for the real figure. How lame is a figure that can't even stand?

Summerhayes
2010-07-31, 05:02 PM
How lame is a figure that can't even stand?

Not being able to stand is dictionary definition of "Lame". But in all seriousness, a figure that can't stand woul be even worse than one that doesn't transform for me

overall I'm liking the look of Rodimus (Prime?) but he has the same problem as Unicron trilogy characters in that the "disguise" is a futuristic SF vehicle wherein you can't really judge accuracy the way you can with a truck, gun or jet

inflatable dalek
2010-08-01, 02:56 AM
I hope that the clear plastic stand shown propping Roddy up in robot mode is just an added safeguard for a flimsy prototype, rather than a proposed accesory for the real figure. How lame is a figure that can't even stand?

Nah, it's not a stand, it's a rod. Hence Rodimus.

That's Takara's excuse anyway, and you'll like it or they'll send Penis Tongue Megatron round to have a word.

Knightdramon
2010-08-02, 04:27 PM
That prototype would probably break if some clumsy idiot stumbled upon that case and it fell on it's face\back. Hence the rod. It was also present on Masterpiece Megatron's prototype showings.

Apparently, MP Rodimus is a quad-changer, hot on the tracks of Animated Shockwave. Hot Rod\Rodimus and both their vehicle modes are present on this prototype.

Supposed price is about 15900 yen, a tad more expensive than MP Grimlock, but nowhere near 200 USD BBTS is charging on their make-up preorder.

Brimstone
2010-08-03, 06:18 AM
Apparently, MP Rodimus is a quad-changer, hot on the tracks of Animated Shockwave. Hot Rod\Rodimus and both their vehicle modes are present on this prototype. If that's true, that definately makes this a must have for me.

Summerhayes
2010-08-03, 02:59 PM
I thought the whole "quadruple-changer" thing was still a rumour at this stage? Though you can sort of see it in the images . . .

inflatable dalek
2010-08-03, 07:20 PM
Considering their robot modes are identical, the most I can see them doing is including a second head with a few more wrinkles on it. Which I'm not sure makes it a quad changer.

Halfshell
2010-08-03, 07:22 PM
And any vehicle mode for Rodimus Prime would just need to be the car mode with an extra box that slots over the rear. Simples.

Knightdramon
2010-08-03, 09:31 PM
Actually, based on the description and analysis over at tfw2005, at least the car\truck transformation won't be simple. There's a ton of extra parts on the back of the figure's legs\backpack.

Reserving judgment until pictures of a coloured sample or even promo shots are out, but so far, it looks very promising.

inflatable dalek
2010-08-04, 06:05 AM
Actually, based on the description and analysis over at tfw2005, at least the car\truck transformation won't be simple. There's a ton of extra parts on the back of the figure's legs\backpack.

Ah, perhaps after the lack of repaint options forced them to just design Grimlock simply they're going back to the tried and trusted Ta-ka-ra-ra method of over doing everything needlessly.

Summerhayes
2010-08-06, 04:48 PM
It was also present on Masterpiece Megatron's prototype showings.

And look how that turned out...

Ta-ka-ra-ra.

shooting stars much?

praetorian
2010-08-23, 02:18 PM
New scans of Rodimus from Hobby Magazines October issue:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4918500403_b738dc6b9d_b.jpg

His face looks too long, but he does have a visor! I wonder if that's a flip-down, or if he's two-faced, like the Seekers.

Paul053
2010-08-23, 04:03 PM
New scans of Rodimus from Hobby Magazines October issue:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4918500403_b738dc6b9d_b.jpg

His face looks too long, but he does have a visor! I wonder if that's a flip-down, or if he's two-faced, like the Seekers.

Think a flip-down like Grimlock's. Looks good, thought. However, is that front hip plate static or movable. It looks like will block the legs from moving forward completely, like the Seekers. Hopefully not.

Summerhayes
2010-08-24, 06:05 PM
That chin has a hint of the Animated, doesn't it?

horizon
2010-08-24, 07:24 PM
Maybe a good sculpt and all but I still dislike the Rodimus Prime (or Hot Rod for the matter) character.

Rack 'n Ruin
2010-08-28, 11:04 AM
So, MP Rodders is confirmed as a quad changer with a face melting colour scheme...

Piccies on Allspark, TF @ the Moon & TFW2005.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also read this morning that Takara plan to release Battle Ops 'Bee as part of their Movie related Masterpiece subline. Pics are out there. Can't remember where, nor be bothered to look again. Sorry. It's like Battle Ops 'Bee but shinier. Maybe.

I'm getting really good at this news reporting lark, right? <ahem>

praetorian
2010-08-28, 09:59 PM
So, MP Rodders is confirmed as a quad changer with a face melting colour scheme...

Linky (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/masterpiece-rodimus-confirmed-to-transform-from-hot-rod-to-rodimus-prime-170491/)

inflatable dalek
2010-08-29, 03:02 AM
Though those photos do seem to confirm the earlier idea "Quad Changer" is pushing it as a description, it looks like you have Hot Rod that inserts into the battle station kibble to make Rodimus Prime in vehicle mode (with some superficial flips and flops to try and make it look like that isn't the case), whilst the two different robot mode basically boils down to the same for both characters with different heads (with some superficial flips and flops to try and make it look like that isn't the case).

Masterpiece Grimlock was clearly the result of some sort of bet or dare to create a MP that followed in the footsteps of the original Convoy/Prime's of not being at least a bit shit.

NightHawk
2010-08-29, 08:10 AM
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=194169&id=100983336710&ref=mf

Dun dun duuuuun.

I actually like the idea of having both Hot Rod and Rodimus in one figure, even though there is not much change in robot mode apart from the face it seems.

praetorian
2010-08-30, 05:30 AM
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=194169&id=100983336710&ref=mf

Dun dun duuuuun.

I actually like the idea of having both Hot Rod and Rodimus in one figure, even though there is not much change in robot mode apart from the face it seems.

Really? Oh, there's tons of differences. Like Rodimus Prime has less seating in car mode and the exhaust pipes are moved waaaaaaaay up. Plus, Hot Rod doesn't get a gun; only Rodimus Prime does. Rodimus and Hot Rod are like, totally different.

NightHawk
2010-08-30, 06:57 AM
Really? Oh, there's tons of differences. Like Rodimus Prime has less seating in car mode and the exhaust pipes are moved waaaaaaaay up. Plus, Hot Rod doesn't get a gun; only Rodimus Prime does. Rodimus and Hot Rod are like, totally different.

I did say Robot mode, not car. In Robot mode they are quite similar apart from a minor change in height (Rodimus is obviously taller) and having a different face.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs189.ash2/45243_421637496710_100983336710_5418936_1193728_n.jpg

I mean, I don't see much difference in these two...but then again, been a while since I saw Hot Rod and Rodimus next to each other.

numbat
2010-08-30, 08:10 AM
Looks pretty cool. There obviously are differences in the vehicle modes, which will be fun, but the robot modes are remarkably similar (as far as I can see, Rodimus has just had his legs pulled out a bit at the hips and knees to make him a little taller - plus the face of course).

It's a nice idea. However, I would personally have bought a MP Hot Rod without the Rodimus extention...

Rodimus Prime was an aweful design and figure, as much as the character has grown on me over the years. Giving him the MP treatment certainly results in a better toy - but it still has some of the same design issues for me (the lazy campervan alternate mode, with the trailer part hiding the mess of untransformed robot - or car in this case I expect! At least Prime turned into a complete stand alone truck cab, with the trailer as a bonus...)

NightHawk
2010-08-30, 07:55 PM
I see no spot for a Matrix however....now what would Rodimus Prime be without a Matrix? I hope he at least gets a chest compartment for it so to give him MP Prime's Matrix.

numbat
2010-09-01, 08:18 PM
I see no spot for a Matrix however....now what would Rodimus Prime be without a Matrix? I hope he at least gets a chest compartment for it so to give him MP Prime's Matrix.
Very good point.

At that price point, that would certainly me make or break for me.

Prowl1984
2010-09-14, 10:14 AM
I really hope this gets a hasbro release as I can never afford the original takara ones. Doesn't look likely though as I'm still waiting for a hasbro thundercracker to complete my masterpiece seekers.

praetorian
2010-09-16, 02:40 PM
Some new pics:

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/fai-s/12543/?scid=af_ich_link_txt

Pre-order at BBTS: $200 USD!

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11138&mode=retail

praetorian
2010-09-17, 06:05 PM
And some more pics. Some are duplicate, but they're all higher resolution. Big news here, though, is the compartment for the matrix, and a pull-down visor!

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-images-of-mp09-rodimus-convoy-including-features/19807/

numbat
2010-09-17, 06:26 PM
And some more pics. Some are duplicate, but they're all higher resolution. Big news here, though, is the compartment for the matrix, and a pull-down visor!

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-images-of-mp09-rodimus-convoy-including-features/19807/

Ok... So that's looking pretty cool indeedy...

What scale is this guy on? Is he on a par with Convoy and Megs, or is he smaller?

That could be the deal-breaker...

praetorian
2010-09-17, 08:13 PM
Ok... So that's looking pretty cool indeedy...

What scale is this guy on? Is he on a par with Convoy and Megs, or is he smaller?

That could be the deal-breaker...

I'm not sure on the scale, but, looking at the pictures again, I did notice that he also has the saw blade from TF:TM.

NightHawk
2010-09-21, 01:50 PM
I think he will be sized between Prime and Grimlock, though I might be wrong.

And....what is that bloody gaping hole doing there on his car roof? :eek: I do hope they find something for that.
http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1284730120_Rodimus08_0917.jpg

Summerhayes
2010-09-21, 01:59 PM
Looking at these pics, I'm thinking 3 things.

1) that is actually a lovely toy
2) if we stick to Rodimus and don't prime it up, is there really much difference from the classics figure?
3) I'm really glad vehicles in 2005 didn't turn out the way 80s cartoon artists thought they would.

Paul053
2011-01-13, 10:01 PM
If you care, MP Rodimus will come with a golden coin (http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=&II=TFTRMP09&lang=us&CatID=).

numbat
2011-01-13, 10:35 PM
If you care, MP Rodimus will come with a golden coin (http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=&II=TFTRMP09&lang=us&CatID=).
Super Mario will be so pleased!

Summerhayes
2011-01-14, 09:20 AM
Maybe I can sell it to cash for gold and pay off the debt from buying another masterpiece.

praetorian
2011-01-20, 05:25 PM
Some newer pics. This time a close-up on the face switcheroo and the matrix compartment. Also, some slight indications on transformation--like his legs under the hood in Rodimus Prime vehicle mode.

http://the-sun.on.cc/cnt/lifestyle/20110120/00487_001.html

EDIT: here's a better look at his transformations:

http://www.collecticon.org/collecticon_wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/masterpiece-rodimus-convoy-transformation.jpg

inflatable dalek
2011-01-21, 08:02 AM
It's hard to tell with the giant watermark (over someone else's copyrighted publication), but getting from sports car to Flaming Winnebago seems a bit convoluted. In this case the simple solution of just plugging the car into the trailer...thing would surely have been enough?

Cliffjumper
2011-01-21, 09:33 PM
It's hard to tell with the giant watermark (over someone else's copyrighted publication), but getting from sports car to Flaming Winnebago seems a bit convoluted. In this case the simple solution of just plugging the car into the trailer...thing would surely have been enough?

Hello, it's a Masterpiece - the plan is to take something pretty simple and make it as complicated and stupid as humanly possible, because complexity and quality are exactly the same thing. Like with Alternators. And it all works because Transformers fans think that something must be good if it's not intuitive, and none of them want to get mocked by other dickhead by saying something's stupidly overcomplicated, so everyone pretends that this somehow makes it a valid purchase for twice the money of a Soul of Chogokin.

tahukanuva
2011-01-21, 09:52 PM
Does he even really transform? It looks like the hood and exhaust pipes are the only bits common between both modes, and even less in the RV mode. It seems like packing a figure of Hot Rod with a car would accomplish the same thing.

burnitall
2011-01-22, 12:29 AM
The car plugs in backwards, and the windshield and hood part in the trailer fold over the rear of the car. Oh, the yellow fin thing turns to face the other way. So... no he doesn't really transform. :smokin:

Paul053
2011-02-01, 04:51 PM
Somebody already got him from Robot Kingdom and was so disappointed due to the QC (see below). The paint is kind of powdery which is the same has been used on Generation Blurr. Glad I haven't put any penny on him so far. Who knows if just his bad luck or all are the same. And who know if Hasbro really does it, it will be better or not........

Ok, MP Rodimus was delivered today and so far I am not too impressed. He looks fantastic and I actually like the shell for Rodimus Prime vehicle mode. Unfortunately, he transforms terribly, I can't get him to lay flat in both vehicle modes, the feet are far too stiff to the point of me worrying that I will break him, the abdomen connects into the top of the windscreen in robot mode but it doesn't hold in very well, the back is supposed to rest on two pegs but that itself is held on only by friction, the hands don't store well in vehicle mode and to top it all off the paint is chipping on the right knee. I have only handled it for about 2 hours and this is my assessment. On top of all that, the plastic quality of the accessories is terrible (gun, saw blade and welder). I have handled KO's with better plastic. What a poor example from TakaraTomy.

I ordered it from Robot Kingdom, I am still waiting to hear back from them about issues I have with the the PE Ejector (missing the hinges on the back of the arms) I got on Friday. I may contact them but god knows when I will hear back from them. The paint issues are not just confined to the knee, after watching a review online I have noticed another area with paint rub, the spoiler. It fits far too tightly when you attach the trailer and I have slight rubbing there. Yes, the paint in that area is fairly powdery.