PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Drift #1-4 / TPB

Commander Shockwav
2010-09-10, 04:21 AM
A four-part, bi-weekly series starring Drift.

Preview @ Comics Continuum (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1009/08/idwfirsts.htm).

- ziggy
---------

Check any pre-concieved notions at the door. This issue wasn't bad.

Actually, I can say I enjoyed it, more than the ongoing anyway.

McCarthy sets up the premise fairly competently. Sometimes, the most effective way to develop the titular character is to flesh out the peripheral characters first. That's what Shane does here, and I think it works well. Well enough that it doesn't seem Drift is being shoved down our throats. Rather, I think he's believably and subtlely worked into the story.

Not a big fan of Milne's artwork in the past, but I think he also does a pretty good job here. He has improved his panel layout to what we've seen from him in the past, and though things are still a bit cluttered, they are only slightly so.

Give it a "B+". Sometimes it's hard to give something a chance when past efforts have fallen short, but I do think that, like the Ironhide mini, there might be something here worth investing in.

Of course, Megatron:Origin seemed to start in a similar fashion, but let's think positive.

Blackjack
2010-09-11, 02:56 AM
Despite me actually not hating Drift for a bit, nothing in this issue held my interest other than the background cameos.

Alex Milne = keeping those post-Action Masters toys from being forgotten by geekdom. Look, it's Skyjack! And Road Pig! And Windbreaker! And Metalhawk! And Jetstorm! And Fearswoop!

And to top it all, we have Deadlock shooting a guy coloured like Carnivac in the head, to piss everyone who says 'Drift should be Carnivac'.

Warcry
2010-09-11, 05:59 AM
That was as huge mess of cliche, complete with an entirely unlikeable protagonist, a supporting cast with no personality at all and the random death of around half a dozen named characters. The art is also completely muddled to the point where it's hard to tell who's actually supposed to be a preexisting character and who's a generic Gundam with Carnivac's colour scheme. And when Wing shows up neither his character model nor his colour scheme look anything like the Victory character. I genuinely can't tell if he's supposed to be the same guy or if they just picked a name and didn't bother to check if it had been used. And finally, the story also manages to perpetuate McCarthy's masturbatory idea that Sunstreaker was an important senior officer pre-Earth.

All in all, it reads like a fanfic than official fiction.

Blackjack
2010-09-11, 06:39 AM
Good lord, I've just visited the IDW Forums learnt that one of the generic Autobots killed by Deadlock are supposed to be Manta Ray, but are intentionally miscoloured because the editors actually remembered that Manta Ray had died.

Continuity!

Stop the presses!

On an unrelated note... that Wing was supposed to be the one from that Multiforce combiner? Really? If so, then he's been so horribly Gundamized by Alex Milne.

Warcry
2010-09-11, 06:54 AM
That's the thing, it's impossible to tell. Since Milne raped so many preexisting character designs to make them fit with his style, how would you know if this is supposed to be the original Wing with a heavily-altered character model or a totally different guy who's just cribbed his name? I'd be hard-pressed to think that Milne doesn't know who the Multiforce are, though, considering some of the cameos he puts in.

Denyer
2010-09-15, 10:11 PM
Does the full issue read like the preview inasmuch as the opening scene is an freaky antimatter equivalent of the opening scenes from Wreckers?

Warcry
2010-09-15, 10:21 PM
No. The preview is the best part of the issue. :(

Commander Shockwav
2010-09-22, 10:09 PM
Eh. Wasn't bad, but not what I'd call good either.

I'm finding some of the story rather cliche. The bad guy who is trained by the good guy to become the inevitable good guy himself. Yawwwn. Seen it before, in so many movies and comics. Shane is too liberally transposing cliche "hero vs. villian" ideas and themes to the Transformers, ala his Cliffjumper spotlight.

That kind of approach appeals to younger, less experienced readers who haven't read every kind of sci-fi/fantasy story under the sun, and thusly, things might seem really cool to them. Maybe that's the target audience, I don't know.

But I'm finding this all mediocre.

One thing for sure though is he's got the pacing right this time. A lot has happened in these two issues. Whether what's happening is good or bad is a different story, but Costa could take a page out of McCarthy's book this time in the pacing department. Shane doesn't seem destined to create the same pacing debacle AHM surely was.

And is it just me, or did Milne's work just take a huge dive this issue? Starting to look a lot like Megatron:Origin in some scenes. And that ain't good.

Give it a "C+". Despite liking the idea of a pacifist third faction, not liking the banality of how Drift's turning is being presented. Here's to hoping there's some unpredictability with events in the next two issues.

Red Dave Prime
2010-09-29, 01:02 PM
Still on the first one, my forbidden planet seems to be getting these a week late.

First issue was ok, but I was left wondering why we need this story. An origin story for a character only McCarthy will probably use seems a bit silly. Unless they tie it in to the ongoing but I cant see that happening.

Art is typical Milne. I'm not a fan and when he's not dealing with established designs everyone looks the same. The page when Drift comes through in particular highlights this. Also, when Drift gets out of the pod, anyone else feel he looks exactly like Megatron did in Origins when he won his battle with cyclops and took his helemt off.

Another thing which nagged me is that this could have been any manga style comic. Theres nothing to really indicate this is transformers. Always a bit sad when that happens.

Blackjack
2010-09-29, 01:48 PM
Good lord, I look at the cover with the Gundam-ish swordsman convention and I wonder if Alex Milne is on drugs. Those designs look crap. And this from someone who usually enjoys likes tolerates his art... Gad, this thing looks as bad as Megatron Origin, even though most of his recent art in the Movieverse comics was okay.

Just looking at the preview... well, McCarthy has discovered how to use monologue boxes, at least. But Wing's head design is half-assed, while where the story will go is so predictable if you have watched any anime series. Deadlock isn't even realistic as a villain.

As with AHM, there are brilliant concepts. A bunch of neutralists making a Cybertronian city out of hiding and whatnot... but it's executed poorly like bad fanfiction.

... is that Hot Shot being blown to shit in the flashback? Did Milne run out of G2 characters to kill?

Denyer
2010-09-29, 06:20 PM
http://www.shortpacked.com/2010/blog/drift-ii-the-enspitening/

Cliffjumper
2010-09-29, 06:24 PM
Life's a riot with twat versus twat, as Billy Bragg would have said if he was as uncouth as me.

Red Dave Prime
2010-09-29, 11:25 PM
http://www.shortpacked.com/2010/blog...e-enspitening/

You know what? More than the shitty storylines, that response from the IDW editor (who I'm guessing is speaking for the company) has pushed me far closer to ending my purchasing of this range of comics. What a ****er.

Blackjack
2010-09-30, 12:41 PM
http://www.shortpacked.com/2010/blog/drift-ii-the-enspitening/

Egad. Walky's delusional, Milne's an excuse-pushing d*ck, and Tipton is a twat that couldn't be bothered about a series he's supposed to be editing.

Of course, we all know that already.

Heinrad
2010-09-30, 05:00 PM
None of this is actually making me want to go out and get this one........ Although after reading the comments, I am left to wonder how many people working at IDW have incriminating photos involving Chris Ryall and various livestock.

Do they do this to the CSI fans, or the Metal Gear fans? Or..... the fans of whatever else they put out? Then again, have they ever put out anything like Transformers before they got the rights to it?

And if they're ticking off the Transformers fanbase, what are they doing to all of the Whovians........

Cliffjumper
2010-09-30, 05:11 PM
What the **** is a Whovian?

Denyer
2010-09-30, 06:04 PM
Honestly, it's nice if creators are nice, but I'd settle for the comics being good...

Cliffjumper
2010-09-30, 06:40 PM
I'm 99% I'm sure I'd kill most of my favourite comic writers if I came face to face with them.

I do think it would have been more awesome if the IDW team, regardless of intent, had played the "Who? What?" card. Or gone the whole hog and just had a self-obsessed moron who deals in red herrings called "Waky" or "Porky" getting butchered in a pointlessly violent completely irrelevant divergence from the plot.

Halfshell
2010-10-01, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I think Walky comes off best in this due to Milne admitting that Hot Shot and SG Ravage were there to annoy him. If they'd just shrugged it off and denied all knowledge then he'd have looked like a crazy deluded fool with a persecution complex... as is, he is actually right.

[/speaking as somebody who has actually been offed in a fanfic solely because the author didn't like him]

Cliffjumper
2010-10-01, 11:14 AM
[/speaking as somebody who has actually been offed in a fanfic solely because the author didn't like him]

Amateur, I had a whole forum devoted to killing me constructed on my behalf when someone didn't like me.

Halfshell
2010-10-01, 11:35 AM
Ah, memories.

Consider the hatred we could inspire if either of us were actually trying.

Cliffjumper
2010-10-01, 11:52 AM
I do kind-of miss having a genuinely psychopathic arch-enemy. The way I see it is that if I'd pissed something like him off that much I must've been doing something right...

inflatable dalek
2010-10-01, 03:25 PM
It is basically a set of Russian dolls of gitishness. Inside and smallest you have Walky blatantly really pleased about the whole thing and being rather grandiose about "creating" a character whose personality was basically "The opposite of Ravage". Then you've got Milne being all "Me? No idea guv'nor. My friend..errr... Linme suggested it". And on the outside the fattest Russian bastard of all everyone's second favorite incompetent editor after Schmidt.

I mean really, you don't want your artists randomly drawing named characters as crowd deaths in case you want to use them later, great. Tell them that first though.

Halfshell
2010-10-01, 03:29 PM
a character whose personality was basically "The opposite of Ravage".

Er, how is a leetspeaking blogger basically the opposite of Ravage?

Denyer
2010-10-01, 05:40 PM
Tell them that first though.
Should anyone seriously have to tell a comics artist that?

inflatable dalek
2010-10-01, 05:47 PM
Should anyone seriously have to tell a comics artist that?

I can see the logic in using pre-existing obscure character designs to pad out crowd scenes, it saves time and does the hard part of designing a robot for you. Milne might well have been acting under the wacky assumption that if he'd used anyone he shouldn't the editor would tell him to change it when he handed his art in...

@ Halfshell, I bow to your superior knowledge, I must admit to being under the impression the Shattered Glass thing was just making the characters the exact opposite of the G1 versions.

Hey, making wild statements through lack of information, do you think I could get that IDW editor job?

Cliffjumper
2010-10-01, 06:32 PM
I dunno, I can see a certain logic in using Hot Shot as a generic - he's an extant character from another timeline, which seems to be the only way to pad out crowd scenes these days. Invent an Impactor or a Chameleon? **** that, throw in a Diaclone or someone from Zone. Was Armada Hot Shot ever likely to turn up in the IDW G1 universe in any other capacity? It's the sort of thing that usually has the Waki-nerds touching themselves as they add another line to a page of some long-forgotten character.

I kinda like Cy-Kill (because he seems aware of the fact that he's complete rubbish, or if you're going Fleetway he's a complete bastard who actually wins the whole ****ing shooting match), I didn't have a hissy fit when he gets killed by Megatron in any comic with gladiatorial flashbacks.

Hot Shot still isn't a popular character, he's a hybrid of the worst aspects of Bumblebee, Hot Rod and Cheetor with a genuinely terrible toy - Walky doesn't even like him for what he is, he's just hijacked Matt Marshall's jAaM loving retarded version as part of his schtick. Similarly, everyone hates Kiss Players.

The mistake is going "LOL WALKY LIKS THESE!!!" openly.

inflatable dalek
2010-10-01, 07:24 PM
Invent an Impactor or a Chameleon? **** that, throw in a Diaclone or someone from Zone.

I'd say most of the non speaking background Transformers in the Marvel days were fairly rubbish and clearly done very quickly, even the living God Geoff Senior tended to draw them as looking more like Dragon's Claws team members (big helmets and not much body detail).

In terms of major speaking parts I'd agree Marvel did it better. But in a slightly abstract way, Drift is clearly a better bit of design work than Xaaron (who's basically Megatron's toy head stuck on the most minimally designed body possible) but there's just something much more endearing about old toaster mouth's look. Maybe it's a simple as him being a better written character overcoming the designs shortfalls? Or even the slightly cheeky way "So what does he actually turn into then?" was made a plot point in the Flame stories?

It's odd really that Impactor, the greatest success of the lot was designed by Jeff Anderson (well, presumably as he drew his first issue and that would be the form), the most workmanlike artist of the lot.

Commander Shockwav
2010-10-08, 01:15 AM
Probably the best of the three issues thus far, both art and story-wise.

We get a little fleshing out of some of the ancillary characters like Dai Atlas, Lockdown, and the head of the Slavers.

The anticipated "change of heart" happens with Drift, of course, so it's a bit cliche and predictable. Again, I find myself more enthused about the other characters, like Wing and Dai Atlas. Even Lockdown is more intriguing to me.

Not to say that Drift is unbearable. But his journey from evil to good is really the most dull part of this tale.

As I wrote on the IDW boards, to get away from the banality of it all concerning Drift, I would throw in a twist. Something along the lines of Drift rescuing Wing in some manner, thereby sending him the reverse message that pacifism sometimes isn't the best answer either. That sometimes, you have to fight to be free, something Megatron touted but never backed up.

It should be Wing who learns a thing or two from Drift in the end. I would take it even so far as having Wing assume the personage of the slain Drift after he sacrifices himself .

Perhaps Shane will surprise us all. Perhaps that's the reason why Wing the Pacifist looks so much like Drift.

Somehow, I doubt we'll get this.

But all in all, I will say this series hasn't been too bad.

Give this issue a B+. Hoping for a surprising and unpredictable conclusion.

Springer85
2010-10-08, 11:45 AM
It should be Wing who learns a thing or two from Drift in the end. I would take it even so far as having Wing assume the personage of the slain Drift after he sacrifices himself .

Now that would be interesting :)

Prime1
2010-10-10, 06:03 AM
As I wrote on the IDW boards, to get away from the banality of it all concerning Drift, I would throw in a twist. Something along the lines of Drift rescuing Wing in some manner, thereby sending him the reverse message that pacifism sometimes isn't the best answer either. That sometimes, you have to fight to be free, something Megatron touted but never backed up.

It should be Wing who learns a thing or two from Drift in the end. I would take it even so far as having Wing assume the personage of the slain Drift after he sacrifices himself

I agree with this, these types of twists in story and twists in endings, that IDW TF stories are missing, examples of it working, obviously Last Stand of the Wreckers, AHM coda #15 the kup story, possibly in that realm Revelations, Stormbringer, examples of it failing, obviously All Hail Megatron, it touched here and there but was so predictable and bland that it made for such a regular story, too many things left unresolved, like Prime suddenly just springing back to action, how did Omega Supreme get Hot Rod's message, blah blah, anyhow and also this new Ongoing series, no twists no turns, just straight how you know it, boring and predictable, yes it introduces characters mostly unused in IDWverse but even once those characters are there you know exactly what to expect from them, and why is it that now all of a sudden you have the Stunticons, Combaticons, Predacons, all on earth now, they just show up and we must assume they were around during AHM but never shown, correct? I mean since those characters have to be assumed there during AHM, atleast show us how and what they did during the period, or why or how did they got to earth? I would love to see that the Predacons came to earth post-AHM looking for energon, but if its never implied or said how can we know? but im rambling

With all that said, I actually like this mini, and with the right twist in it, this could be a great story, and it would show that Shane learns and adapts which is good imo for a writer, the art is good, I actually like Milne's style, it fits so well with the characters in this story, and this go round I can actually tell whats going on and who's who without going back and looking again, as it was for me with M:O, but on the other hand, I like the way he draws Megatron in this series, I am glad about #4 being out in two weeks, instead of the usual monthly wait

Commander Shockwav
2010-10-21, 12:04 AM
Maybe I'm just expecting too much out of TF comics these days, but since IDW got the license, I feel like I've been swimming in a sea of mediocrity, with an occassional life vest (Rocherts) passing by that I grab onto to stay afloat.

So, yeah, predictable. Not bad, but not great. Yadda, yadda....

I was hoping for a bit more than the obvious with this conclusion. It was so Dances With Wolves, so The Last Samurai. Bad guy turns good guy and fights against bad guys. Wing becomes the cliche sacrificial lamb that gets Drift going with the proverbial "NOoooooooooooooo!" that results in the big baddies death as Drift goes Rambo on his ass. Not sure what the point of Lockdown was in this whole thing. He came and he went. Could have been any Con for all I care.

Perhaps the only part I enjoyed was the revelation of the mobility of Crystal City with Fortress Maxim.....er, Dai Atlas (predictably) coming to the rescue.

Art was okay. Some nice panels here and there, but still not a fan of Milne's style, really. Just not my cup of tea.

I'm starting to believe that I have reached that age where I'm being forced to pass TF comics by. Perhaps there is nothing wrong with TF comics themselves, per se. Perhaps they are intended to please whom they are aimed at.

But I'm beginning to believe that I'm not the intended target.

Give this issue a "B-", around what I would give the series as a whole.

Neuronutter
2010-10-21, 05:32 PM
Maybe I'm just expecting too much out of TF comics these days, but since IDW got the license, I feel like I've been swimming in a sea of mediocrity, with an occassional life vest (Rocherts) passing by that I grab onto to stay afloat.

I'm starting to believe that I have reached that age where I'm being forced to pass TF comics by. Perhaps there is nothing wrong with TF comics themselves, per se. Perhaps they are intended to please whom they are aimed at.

That's pretty much how I feel with IDW now. I enjoyed Furman's run, thought there were some highlights (Escalation, Stormbringer, Shockwave) but the two effective reboots (AHM then Ongoing) plus a forced switch to trades have allowed me to realise how little of IDW's current output is actually any good. Recently the only things I've picked up are the resplendent Wreckers and the first ongoing trade. I was looking forward to the second until I read the reviews.

So I've effectively skipped Bumblebee and Non-ferrous, I'm unconvinced by Vol2 of the ongoing, Drift and Ironhide. Any recommendations?

Art was okay. Some nice panels here and there, but still not a fan of Milne's style, really. Just not my cup of tea.

Me neither. I'm still not convinced by the guy.

inflatable dalek
2010-10-21, 06:07 PM
The thing is though, we're exactly the people they should be aiming the comics at. No one other than thirtyish year olds is going to be regularly picking up a G1 book.

Neuronutter
2010-10-21, 06:36 PM
The thing is though, we're exactly the people they should be aiming the comics at. No one other than thirtyish year olds is going to be regularly picking up a G1 book.

Seems like they lost track of that. It felt like the Furman run, and all the comics at that time, were aimed squarely at us and since then they've changed tack. I, and I'm sure there are plenty of others, have lost interest.

Halfshell
2010-10-21, 07:06 PM
IDW are still publishing TF comics?

Neuronutter
2011-01-13, 04:51 PM
So, I'm considering getting the Drift trade as I skipped the issues. Would anyone like to venture an opinion on whether the series is worth picking up?

Red Dave Prime
2011-01-13, 10:52 PM
Eh, Not really. Theres a few nice bits here and there but ultimately its a story which has little to no impact on the main plots and lacks any major dramatic pull. Its not absolutely terrible but you're not missing much if you skip it.

inflatable dalek
2012-03-01, 03:28 PM
Having now read this... Are we really sure this was a real comic and not an elaborate send up of all the worst aspects of McCarthy and Milne?

Terome
2012-03-02, 03:42 PM
Having now read this... Are we really sure this was a real comic and not an elaborate send up of all the worst aspects of McCarthy and Milne?

How would one be able to tell the difference?

Having not read this, could you tell me if there is anything at all notable in it?

inflatable dalek
2012-03-02, 03:49 PM
It's basically what the pre-publicity made it look Drift was going to be in AHM before it turned out he was a glorified extra. He's so big and swoony and sexy and better than everyone else and everyone wants him on their side because he shits Energon bricks made of awesome.

In a plot that's basically the standard McCarthy thing that bad arses with guns are way awesome and anyone who doesn't like a big throbbing weapon in their hands is a tosser.

Coupled with art that's frequently impossible to follow and almost seems to be channelling Pat Lee at times (I have no idea what Drift did to the super deformed Fallen impersonator Turmoil to escape from his ship, and that was only page three).

Though I was surprised to see Dai Atlas and his pussy pacifists all survived (albeit after learning that violence is the best solution to their problems), considering MTMTE makes the link between him and the Knights of Cybertron (though they're only called Knights here) did something happen to him in a latter issue? Because you'd have thought just going to ask him where the olde Knights are would have been the simple solution.

Also, the Hot Shot and SG Ravage panel makes all that fuss a storm in a tea cup as you'd have to have a degree in working out misshapen blobs to have a clue it was either of them.

Terome
2012-03-02, 03:55 PM
Phew. I'm glad to see that I have some remaining capacity to judge a book by its cover.

Though I was surprised to see Dai Atlas and his pussy pacifists all survived (albeit after learning that violence is the best solution to their problems), considering MTMTE makes the link between him and the Knights of Cybertron (though they're only called Knights here) did something happen to him in a latter issue? Because you'd have thought just going to ask him where the olde Knights are would have been the simple solution.

Isn't that exactly what they are going to do in MTMTE? Their first port of call is Dai Atlas' lot for a chat.

Also, the Hot Shot and SG Ravage panel makes all that fuss a storm in a tea cup as you'd have to have a degree in working out misshapen blogs to have a clue it was either of them.

Jesus. I'd forgotten about that rubbish. I feel very British when people bickering rudely seems more immediately offensive to me than say, genocide.

inflatable dalek
2012-03-02, 04:07 PM
Isn't that exactly what they are going to do in MTMTE? Their first port of call is Dai Atlas' lot for a chat.

They did? I must have missed that, I known Drift mentioned him but I thought the only plan was to follow the map?

Jesus. I'd forgotten about that rubbish. I feel very British when people bickering rudely seems more immediately offensive to me than say, genocide.

I also see in tit for tat, that the wiki has officially made those characters Henkei Hot Rod and Kiss Players Pedo Rape Ravage (or whatever he was called) for no better reason than to mock the original intent to mock Walki. The whole thing was basically a big circle of tossers wanking off in each others faces really.

Terome
2012-03-02, 04:16 PM
They did? I must have missed that, I known Drift mentioned him but I thought the only plan was to follow the map?

Pretty sure they talk about going to visit Crystal City at the end of #2. My hunch is that they will get badly sidetracked then find something dreadful waiting for them when they do finally get there.

So the deal with Crystal City was that they left to build a Peaceful Place, then the Decepticon scourge that they thought they could ignore found them and only Drift could save the poor, innocent fools?

That is like a fairy tale told to the Hitler Youth.

I also see in tit for tat, that the wiki has officially made those characters Henkei Hot Rod and Kiss Players Pedo Rape Ravage (or whatever he was called) for no better reason than to mock the original intent to mock Walki. The whole thing was basically a big circle of tossers wanking off in each others faces really.

Uck.

At least when tossers literally wank off into each other's faces, they can't do it in full public view without someone sternly telling them to maybe do that somewhere else.

inflatable dalek
2012-03-02, 04:25 PM
So the deal with Crystal City was that they left to build a Peaceful Place, then the Decepticon scourge that they thought they could ignore found them and only Drift could save the poor, innocent fools?

Yep, though it's only the one Decepticon, Lockdown. Who, despite Drift being a traitor who ran away like a big girl after disobeying orders wants to bring him back because Megatron loves him. There's a flashback where we see Megatron use Drift joining the Decepticons as a means of getting lots of other Transformers to sign up because he's that awesome. So awesome in fact you've got to wonder why he never showed up in any issues previous to AHM.

the main threat is actually a species that seem to be the bastard love child of the Borg and Orion Slave Girls.

Terome
2012-03-02, 04:46 PM
Yep, though it's only the one Decepticon, Lockdown. Who, despite Drift being a traitor who ran away like a big girl after disobeying orders wants to bring him back because Megatron loves him.

That is impressively stupid! I guess that was when Megatron was in a sort of Grecian god phase and went all Ganymede on his boyfriends. Bravo on McCarthy getting his self-insertion slashfic published officially though. I think the closest anyone had previously got to that with the licence was when Furman had Hasbro pay him to work out his issues with his wife's menopausal years with Spotlight: Arcee.

There's a flashback where we see Megatron use Drift joining the Decepticons as a means of getting lots of other Transformers to sign up because he's that awesome. So awesome in fact you've got to wonder why he never showed up in any issues previous to AHM.

Those Decepticons were all the new readers who came on board for All Hail Megatron. Though to be fair, I did meet one of those mythical beasts the other day at the Royal Festival Hall. She said it all went downhill when the deeply strange bit about Sunstreaker came to the fore. Was there a bit in Drift where Megatron forced him to start talking about everything his exes had ever done and then, in front of everyone, openly fantasise about how they had all lied to him and then he, in return, had them brutally killed?

Because that would not seem out of place in the comic you are describing.

the main threat is actually a species that seem to be the bastard love child of the Borg and Orion Slave Girls.

Oh no! Girls!

inflatable dalek
2012-03-02, 04:54 PM
Those Decepticons were all the new readers who came on board for All Hail Megatron. Though to be fair, I did meet one of those mythical beasts the other day at the Royal Festival Hall. She said it all went downhill when the deeply strange bit about Sunstreaker came to the fore.

See, that's what I said all along! Pissing off the old readers and then suddenly making the comic inaccessible to the new readers was idiotic. Why don't IDW listen to me? Just because I accuse them of masturbating in fanboy faces.

Oh no! Girls!

Sadly the just take the being a slaver and green from that side, they have the Borg's balls. That sudden change in their motivation from just wanting to enslave people to wanting to stick bits of Dai Atlas to their bodies because they love enhancing themselves was, as with so much of AHM, something that felt like it was being made up as it went along.

Terome
2012-03-02, 05:04 PM
Sadly the just take the being a slaver and green from that side, they have the Borg's balls. That sudden change in their motivation from just wanting to enslave people to wanting to stick bits of Dai Atlas to their bodies because they love enhancing themselves was, as with so much of AHM, something that felt like it was being made up as it went along.

YOU COULD NOT MAKE THIS UP. They want Dai Atlas' dismembered Japanese parts to add to their strength? On the day that McCarthy finally explodes from the slow build-up of furious sexual insanity in his breast, I do hope they have a hazmat team stationed nearby his dance academy.

See, that's what I said all along! Pissing off the old readers and then suddenly making the comic inaccessible to the new readers was idiotic. Why don't IDW listen to me? Just because I accuse them of masturbating in fanboy faces.

She said she went back to read some of the pre-AHM issues but still didn't quite understand what the hell was going on with that Hunter bondage torture-porn. She thought maybe she had missed some Spotlights or something? She actually kept reading right up until 'Megatron was reading his poetry' and quit from exhaustion. She's on the Prime TV series now and much happier for it.

A survivor's tale.

inflatable dalek
2012-03-02, 05:16 PM
YOU COULD NOT MAKE THIS UP. They want Dai Atlas' dismembered Japanese parts to add to their strength? On the day that McCarthy finally explodes from the slow build-up of furious sexual insanity in his breast, I do hope they have a hazmat team stationed nearby his dance academy.

Well, in fairness, they don't know about Dai Atlas directly, they just want to stick any Transformer body parts in themselves. In fact, it's an amazing coincidence that this group of slavers who've been thinking for a while that the Transformers are the greatest life form ever (something only reaffirmed by meeting Drift of course) and want to assimilate some of them just happen to set up their slaver camp on a planet with a secret Transformer city on it by complete coincidence.

though who wouldn't want a bit of Dai Atlas in them?

She said she went back to read some of the pre-AHM issues but still didn't quite understand what the hell was going on with that Hunter bondage torture-porn. She thought maybe she had missed some Spotlights or something? She actually kept reading right up until 'Megatron was reading his poetry' and quit from exhaustion. She's on the Prime TV series now and much happier for it.

A survivor's tale.

Why do you meet the ladies who like Transformers comics? I could have impressed her with the size of my collection.

Terome
2012-03-02, 05:35 PM
just happen to set up their slaver camp on a planet with a secret Transformer city on it by complete coincidence.

Aah, there's secret Transformers junk everywhere. Besides, how else do you drive the point of the whole thing home if Drift doesn't inspire a whole generation to stop hiding and show themselves in all their proud glory?

I'm reading the summaries on the silly old Wiki now, and am I to understand that there is an extended competitive grappling sequence and a flashback to Drift's time spent homeless on the streets with a gentle, ill-fated companion?

Actually, all of this makes me glad. I'd thought Drift was a brainless kludge of third-hand manga references. Now that I know it is a brainless homosexual fascist warrior epic, whose plot is defined by jealousy and possessiveness. There hasn't been a whole lot of those in this franchise so far. I'm inclined to regard it as a delightful oddity on par with The Interplanetary Wrestling Contest. It speaks volumes that Roberts is game to embrace and accept this little queer bird of story without any obvious outside influence. Furman, tellingly, has categorically stated that there shan't be hide nor hair of any Wrestling, Interplanetary or otherwise, in his continuation of the Marvel books. That is No Fun, in my opinion.

Though I probably still won't read Drift because it looks shit.

inflatable dalek
2012-03-03, 07:29 AM
I'm reading the summaries on the silly old Wiki now, and am I to understand that there is an extended competitive grappling sequence and a flashback to Drift's time spent homeless on the streets with a gentle, ill-fated companion?

Yep, and the flashbacks go pretty much straight from Drift: The littlest Transformer hobo to him being so famous and awesome Megatron first begs him to join up and then uses him as the face of their recruitment drive. Because who wouldn't want to smell of meths like Drift?

The bit where Megatron renames him Deadlock for no real reason suggests it's a bit of a lovers pet name as well.

It speaks volumes that Roberts is game to embrace and accept this little queer bird of story without any obvious outside influence.

Having now read his major previous appearances, I honestly think his showing in MTMTE is a deliberate piss take on Roberts part. Note how all the other characters now think Drift is an idiot and don't take the flowery nonsense he sprouts remotely seriously. I suspect IDW wanted their white elephant in one of the books because dropping him entirely would be embarrassing after all the fuss they made of him, and Barber as editor in chief got the final choice on that ("You can have him. Go on, I let you have Cosmos after all, this is the price you pay").

Red Dave Prime
2012-03-04, 12:48 PM
Having now read his major previous appearances, I honestly think his showing in MTMTE is a deliberate piss take on Roberts part. Note how all the other characters now think Drift is an idiot and don't take the flowery nonsense he sprouts remotely seriously. I suspect IDW wanted their white elephant in one of the books because dropping him entirely would be embarrassing after all the fuss they made of him, and Barber as editor in chief got the final choice on that ("You can have him. Go on, I let you have Cosmos after all, this is the price you pay").

Hope that is the case :)

Thing is do, with his new persona, Drift stands out as a somewhat more interesting character in MTMTE - he doesn't have super smart & whitty dialogue, isn't meant to be likeable and doesn't have a cool backstory that we dont yet know - he's the most unique character there!

Terome
2012-03-04, 04:01 PM
Thing is do, with his new persona, Drift stands out as a somewhat more interesting character in MTMTE - he doesn't have super smart & whitty dialogue, isn't meant to be likeable and doesn't have a cool backstory that we dont yet know - he's the most unique character there!

Yeah, and we've all met someone like MTMTE Drift - they've been in a car crash or lost a child or something and now they are determined to be defined by the thing that offered them comfort. It seems, to them, that the only other options would be to act as the tragedy hadn't happened or to linger on it forever. They are irritating. They are also, like every other character in MTMTE, a kind of liar one is likely to meet.

Going by your reports, Dalek, it sounds like there isn't a single character in Drift that resembles an actual human being. I guess that is why it is so tempting to lump all the characters into an author gestalt.

inflatable dalek
2012-03-04, 07:46 PM
In fairness, unlike AHM where the awesomely bad bits are spread out amongst hundreds of pages of tedium, it's at least never dull.

Terome
2012-03-04, 07:48 PM
Brevity is the soul of bugshit madness.

Ryan F
2016-05-30, 05:25 PM
I actually just read this series in my attempt to get up to speed on all things IDW and, forgive me if this makes me look like a complete plank but... I kinda liked it.

Drift himself was a problem - admittedly I didn't buy for one second the way he completely flipflopped from badass Decepticon killer to Autobot hero over the course of the four issues.

The only real explanation is that he's just a wuss, easily led by whoever comes along to put an arm round his shoulder. First Megatron, then Wing. Drift is an indecisive sort, who naturally gravitates to charismatic leaders.

Drift apart, my first reaction was that this was actually a decent bit of storytelling, in that it had a beginning, middle and end (which considering I've just completed the Furman era was quite refreshing by comparison). It had a flow, a direction, a decent pace, and although most of the character beats were repossessed from other frachises (Drift convincing Dai Atlas to fight was totally copied from the Ian/Alydon scene in The Daleks; Wing as a doomed mentor is basically Jaga or Obi-Wan), there was a breeziness to it that I actually quite liked.

I wasn't on the IDW boards back in the day (and I haven't read AHM yet, as the trades put everything in a funny order), but if you take out all the outside drama and look at it on it's own terms, I don't think this is the total failure that people were making it out to be.

The central character is a bit rubbish and lots of it is recycled from other sources (the Slavers = the Krillitanes), but I thought it was quite fun, it passed the time well, and there was a simplicity and pointedness to it that (thankfully) made it a big departure from the Furman stuff.

I'd probably give it a 3/5 - flawed but fun.