PDA

View Full Version : Fansproject: Causailty

Lonewyrm
2010-12-06, 06:25 AM
http://www.fansproject.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/2011_Causailty.png

Fansproject have thrown up a new teaser image, seems to suggest a combiner team built entirely from their figures. Two of them are repaints of Crossfire and Munitioner, the next shadow looks to me like it could be a version of Vortex?

NightHawk
2010-12-06, 07:44 AM
http://www.fansproject.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/2011_Causailty.png

Fansproject have thrown up a new teaser image, seems to suggest a combiner team built entirely from their figures. Two of them are repaints of Crossfire and Munitioner, the next shadow looks to me like it could be a version of Vortex?

Not just repaints if I must go by the art of it, if you look close to Munitioner's lower arms and Explorer's lower legs you notice some mold change. And of course, two completely new heads. Still, this looks very promising but...it leaves the feeling of..."Why did you not do this with the Combaticons?" considering they are reusing the Crossfire X2 molds.

Warcry
2010-12-06, 07:50 AM
That shuttle redeco is pretty blatantly Fireshot (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Fireshot_%28G1%29), isn't it? But the Swindle redeco screams Leyland (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Leyland), which sort of makes me wonder if this is supposed to be Battle Gaia?

[EDIT]Actually, no. Growl (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Growl), anyone? New toys for a bunch of Micromasters? This sort of stuff I could actually see myself getting behind.

Blackjack
2010-12-06, 11:23 AM
Warcry!

Eh, had to say that.

Cliffjumper
2010-12-06, 03:45 PM
The colours of Shuttleguy look like Whisper (or Nightflight; whichever one's the one with the same colours as Shuttleguy), weirdly. Random 'con combiner to get more mileage out of the expensive moulds? It'd do no harm, certainly.

Paul053
2011-01-05, 04:45 PM
More details and stuffs are coming out now. Just check their website. (http://www.fansproject.com/)

Warcry
2011-01-05, 05:44 PM
The Micromasters are very pretty, and I'm curious to see how the (probable) Insecticons turn out. IMO this is a much better use of their talents than trying to make existing, absolutely-nothing-like-G1 toys look like G1, even though it'll probably be less popular with the fanboys.

In spite of the fact that the toys' new heads, robot mode design and colour schemes are all-but-identical to Growl and Fireshot, and in spite of the fact that people connected to Fansproject have said they're not a combiner, some of the TFW crowd are still holding out hope that these are meant to be Battle Gaia.

Thunderwave
2011-01-05, 06:02 PM
I'm digging these new guys. Bonus points because the combiner parts seem to be intact on the new versions of the molds. I'll probably end up picking these two up at the very least.

Cliffjumper
2011-01-05, 07:26 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the Hummer-thing makes a much better Growl than Swindle?

Shrapnel Clone
2011-01-08, 12:33 PM
Darn, I just might have to buy Kickback Backfire and Bombshell Thunderbomb.

Not sure I like Stormshred.

Paul053
2011-02-22, 02:58 PM
The next three Causality figures are up. Ninja style Insecticons!

http://www.fansproject.com/?p=643

Thunderwave
2011-02-22, 03:40 PM
...I'm digging the hell out of Stormshred and Backfire. I'll probably get all three to round out the set, but those two are on my list of things to get.

NightHawk
2011-03-30, 03:23 PM
I love that they are using the Insecticons, but that makes me wonder now...if this is a combiner set, why on earth did they add a jet and a humvee?

Though still...an Insecticon combiner team...that is promising in my opinion.

glazios
2011-03-30, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure the Insecticons are part of the combiner lineup... I know the numbering makes it seem like they are, but it just wouldn't make much sense to me if they were. :nonono:

I'm not sure what the hell FansProejct are doing with this Causality thing... It looks like they plan to release seven or eight figures under a single banner, but they're cetainly going about it in a damn confusing fashion.

Also, it strikes me that if they're releasing a complete set of TFs of their own, they're taking a bit of a risk - HasTak might have justifiable cause to clamp down on them...

NightHawk
2011-03-31, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure the Insecticons are part of the combiner lineup... I know the numbering makes it seem like they are, but it just wouldn't make much sense to me if they were. :nonono:

I'm not sure what the hell FansProejct are doing with this Causality thing... It looks like they plan to release seven or eight figures under a single banner, but they're cetainly going about it in a damn confusing fashion.

Also, it strikes me that if they're releasing a complete set of TFs of their own, they're taking a bit of a risk - HasTak might have justifiable cause to clamp down on them...

Well...if it's a set of eight figures, three Insecticons leaves room for five bots so..that may be the combiner team and the Insecticons are just extra's.

Also as for Fansproject making their own set, HasTak can't do much about it, else it would have to clamp down on basically every company that makes custom Transformers (Think Perfect Effect, Justitoys, TFC Toys and others.) And since they avoid copyright with changing the names and all as well as making the toys look similar yet different, HasTak doesn't have much ground to clamp down on.

Cliffjumper
2011-03-31, 01:54 PM
Mmm. Fun fact: neither Hasbro or Takara invented transforming robots.

Hotdog Divebomb
2011-03-31, 02:52 PM
Transforming robots were in fact invented by me in 1762. That was a hard year. It took me 32 bottles of WKD Blue but eventually I got a mild buzz on which carried me through.

But really it was the potato I'd smoked earlier that year which helped make the intuitive leap between "I have a toy car and a toy robot, this isn't a very efficient use of space" and "I'll make them the same toy."

And it's a damn good thing I made that leap, too. Otherwise you'd all be talking about Airfix kits right now. Believe me, it's true. I've hopped dimensions. This is an Airfix board in the NoTransformingRobotsVerse.

"But", I hear you cry, "your story makes no sense!" And you'd be right. But we can explain away the fact that I am not universally credited with the invention of Transforming Robots through one simple fact: I was too smart for it. Yep, you can't actually manufacture anything if you know how to spell.

Which is why my time travel experiments went against the rules of causality.

Warcry
2011-03-31, 03:20 PM
Mmm. Fun fact: neither Hasbro or Takara invented transforming robots.
They did, however, invent the Combaticons, Insecticons, Arcee, Springer, etc... Until the day that Hasbro stops making Transformers of their own, selling unlicensed products that use the image of characters they own is illegal. Using different names and going "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" means absolutely nothing, especially since the figures are marketed as Transformers characters to Transformers fans.

Incidentally, this is why random third-party companies can get away with producing decals of Calvin pissing on a Ford logo -- because Bill Watterson refuses to licence any legitimate merchandise, the unlicensed stuff isn't competing with anything legit so it's deemed to be OK. But companies like Fansproject are producing transforming robots designed to resemble official Transformers characters, marketing them to Transformers fans who purchase them and use them to represent those Transformers characters in their collections and selling them on the same websites that sell official Hasbro product. In principle it's no different than if some company started selling bootleg Star Wars toys through Walmart.

Whether Hasbro would be able to actually shut down production is a hard question to answer, since most of the third-party stuff is probably produced in random Chinese guys' garages and it'd be hard to track them down. It would be laughably easy to shut down most of the distribution channels, though -- either by slapping sites like BBTS with an injunction to get them to stop selling the stuff, or just by playing hardball and refusing to do business with anyone who sells FansProject stuff or other KOs. The fact that they don't shouldn't be taken as a sign that Hasbro's legal team is impotent and the third-party producers are invincible. It's a sign that Hasbro doesn't give a shit because the third-party companies' profits are so tiny that they're insignificant to a massive corporation, and going after them isn't worth the trouble.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to say that third-party manufacturers are evil or that Hasbro should shut them down. But if they really wanted to, they could.

Paul053
2011-03-31, 03:33 PM
And Transformers is just one of the many product lines that Hasbro carries. They have so many others to take care of and to gain profit.

Rack 'n Ruin
2011-03-31, 03:35 PM
Transforming robots were in fact invented by me in 1762. That was a hard year. It took me 32 bottles of WKD Blue but eventually I got a mild buzz on which carried me through.

But really it was the potato I'd smoked earlier that year which helped make the intuitive leap between "I have a toy car and a toy robot, this isn't a very efficient use of space" and "I'll make them the same toy."

And it's a damn good thing I made that leap, too. Otherwise you'd all be talking about Airfix kits right now. Believe me, it's true. I've hopped dimensions. This is an Airfix board in the NoTransformingRobotsVerse.

"But", I hear you cry, "your story makes no sense!" And you'd be right. But we can explain away the fact that I am not universally credited with the invention of Transforming Robots through one simple fact: I was too smart for it. Yep, you can't actually manufacture anything if you know how to spell.

Which is why my time travel experiments went against the rules of causality.

Bullcrap. Potatoes weren't invented until 1967. FACT.

Cliffjumper
2011-03-31, 03:36 PM
Until the day that Hasbro stops making Transformers of their own, selling unlicensed products that use the image of characters they own is illegal.

I can't pretend to have paid much attention to this Causality shit, but surely they're moving away from that a little, in that you'd struggle to link the figures to Transformers unless you were fairly hardcore? Warbot and the Combaticons, sure, they're treading on shaky ground because they're overtly based on well-known characters, whereas the shuttle redeco looks about as much like the original Micromaster as it does like, say, Shuttle Robo. It's no different to Happywell's RoadBot stuff, a lot of which have passing resemblance to Transformers figures, but they're far removed enough for it to be not directly infringing on their characters or designs

TBH, I think it's more for PR reasons that Hasbro leave the more overt rip-offs alone - FP aren't going to challenge their market with expensive limited quantity items, and most people buying them spend ten times the amount on kosher Hasbro items anyway because they're Transformers fans and they buy what they're told to buy. They tolerate their existence because it's not worth the chance of poor PR if they close them down, much like the way they've never made any great effort to shut down websites violating their copyright as long as they're not providing direct competition.

Now, if FP were to sell Transformers-inspired figures to more than a few hundred fanboys in a physical store, it'd all kick off.

Warcry
2011-03-31, 06:33 PM
I can't pretend to have paid much attention to this Causality shit, but surely they're moving away from that a little, in that you'd struggle to link the figures to Transformers unless you were fairly hardcore? Warbot and the Combaticons, sure, they're treading on shaky ground because they're overtly based on well-known characters, whereas the shuttle redeco looks about as much like the original Micromaster as it does like, say, Shuttle Robo. It's no different to Happywell's RoadBot stuff, a lot of which have passing resemblance to Transformers figures, but they're far removed enough for it to be not directly infringing on their characters or designs
Fair enough. The fact that people over on the bigger boards still argue about whether the Causality stuff are Micromasters or Battle Gaia is proof enough that those two aren't exactly highly recognizable. But in the same breath they make new Insecticon toys, so they haven't stopped the blatant IP theft yet. I doubt they ever would, frankly, because who is going to pay $50 for a Scout-sized robot that isn't representing a familiar character?

They tolerate their existence because it's not worth the chance of poor PR if they close them down, much like the way they've never made any great effort to shut down websites violating their copyright as long as they're not providing direct competition.
Totally agreed. When you get right down to it, a lot of the things that fandoms do are technically illegal. Not just blatant stuff like scanning comics and posting episodes on YouTube, either...even benign stuff like fan fiction violates IP law to some extent, but unless you start costing the company money there's really no reason for them to do anything about it. Putting the boots to your own fans for shits and giggles is never a good idea.

Cliffjumper
2011-03-31, 07:02 PM
Fair enough. The fact that people over on the bigger boards still argue about whether the Causality stuff are Micromasters or Battle Gaia is proof enough that those two aren't exactly highly recognizable. But in the same breath they make new Insecticon toys, so they haven't stopped the blatant IP theft yet. I doubt they ever would, frankly, because who is going to pay $50 for a Scout-sized robot that isn't representing a familiar character?

Yeh, I doubt this is a genuine attempt to create their own figures, or even a step towards - they've observed that if you can trick some idiots into buying Dead End twice, there're probably fans out there who'll fork out for anything... FP seemed to have tapped into the same sort of fanatics who were ordering Armada figures in different boxes at twice the price a decade ago to 'support' Takara, so it's probably a sensible route to take for lining the old pockets. The recolours are there for the exact same reason Hasbro do them, but they're also vague enough that they could be basically anyone - a white/black transforming space shuttle could be three or four Transformers characters, but also just uses a fairly logical colour scheme for a transforming robot space shuttle.

I mean, obviously IP infringement is IP infringement whether you're knocking off Optimus Prime or Meanstreak, but if they're subtle there's nothing to claim they're just making transforming robot toys in the same way, say, Bandai do... it's not like HasTak are above swiping everything from technology to colour schemes to names from other companies after all.

That said, if FP ever did piss them off the rights and wrongs would probably be neither here nor there, as FP would be unlikely to be able to afford the court case whether they'd win or not.

Thunderwave
2011-03-31, 09:17 PM
I think it's more of a scale thing. If someone where to, as Warcry said, well KO Star Wars figures through Wal*Mart Hasbro would be pretty pissed, and rightfully so, and do what they could to shut them down. In that case they'd also probably have the help of LucasArts (or whoever is in charge of licencing from the Star Wars people) to shut them down. Small third party sellers working through websites aimed at fans and collectors aren't that big of a threat in a lot of cases. Take, say, Fansproject Protector, City Commander, and Crossfire. While the last one could be, in theory, used on it's own they all are designed to interact official Hasbro products. So you've gotten a bought Rodimus, Ultra Magnus, or Bruticus Maximus set from Hasbro. They've made their dime on the figures. Replacement heads for figures you've already bought? Why not? You had to buy that Kup to put the new iGear head on it (well, maybe not you, but someone did).

Collectors are also notorious for hurling money at their collections. Third party add-ons, or even whole figures they aren't planning on doing for a while (like a triple-changer Springer or the Incecticons), aren't going to hurt their sales too terribly much. I mean, come on, how many of the Micromasters have gotten new toys lately? Might even help to bolter sales in some cases. I know I bought a Bruticus Maximus set after seeing the Fansproject Superion set and hearing them announcing their intent to do a kit for Bruticus.

My point is that as long as people like Fansproject keep their products aimed at fans/collectors and out of Hasbro's main stomping ground I don't think there will be a problem. Sticking to "back burner" characters and add on kits, keeping out of the main retailers, and using fan websites will keep these companies out of Hasbro's crosshairs.

glazios
2011-04-07, 09:15 PM
Something's just occurred to me, while I was checking the FansProject website: the Causality series and the Crossfire-03 set are listed seperately. They really don't seem to be the same thing.

Causality 2011
■March / CA-01 Warcry
■April / CA-02 Flameblast
■May / CA-03 Stormshred
■June / CA-04 Thunderbomb
■July / CA-05 Backfire

Also coming in 2011
■WB-002
■CA-06
■CA-07
■Crossfire-03
■(Audacity) Amelioration of Novel form, HeartMaster — HM-001
■and much more….

Perhaps the Causality lineup isn't a combiner team at all; we simply assumed they were, because we know the Crossfire-02 repaints to be part of a combiner team...

NightHawk
2011-04-07, 09:42 PM
They might be a combiner team, as for Crossfire 3, I still say it will be the Constructicon Maximus version, since 1 and 2 were both Superion Maximus and Bruticus Maximus respectively.

glazios
2011-04-07, 11:07 PM
They might be a combiner team, as for Crossfire 3, I still say it will be the Constructicon Maximus version, since 1 and 2 were both Superion Maximus and Bruticus Maximus respectively.

I agree with the C-Max point, it makes sense. There is another possibility, though, in the concept images we've seen in the past, with the idea of an ice-age combiner team they were talking about; I think they called it 'TFX-Salutation', or something to that effect... Crossfire-03 could be that, too - we can't discount it as a possibility.

Also, I really can't see them throwing together two Combaticon repaints and three Insecticons and somehow calling them a combiner team. It just wouldn't make sense. Combiner teams usually have a specific theme - Military/Combaticons, Emergency/Protectobots, Constructicons, Arielbots... the list goes on.

My point is, from what we've seen of the Causality lineup so far, there's no overarching theme that links the two military vehicles and the three Insecticons together - they're seperate figures.

I think Causality will be more of a catch-all line, like Universe or Generations, for figures FansProject produce that aren't affiliated with anything else they decide to make.

EDIT:
The Swindle repaint/Warcry does not have a combiner port. Now I REALLY can't see it being part of a combiner team.
http://www.fansproject.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CA01.jpg

NightHawk
2011-04-08, 07:05 AM
Also, I really can't see them throwing together two Combaticon repaints and three Insecticons and somehow calling them a combiner team. It just wouldn't make sense. Combiner teams usually have a specific theme - Military/Combaticons, Emergency/Protectobots, Constructicons, Arielbots... the list goes on.

Well, the idea of an Insecticon combiner team still looks apealling to me, but yeah, it would be weird for two Combaticon repaints to be in the mix. Though, also keep in mind that, in the list you showed, there is a CA 06 and a CA 07, so who knows? I also wonder who the next WB is.

EDIT:
The Swindle repaint/Warcry does not have a combiner port. Now I REALLY can't see it being part of a combiner team.
http://www.fansproject.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CA01.jpg

To be honest, that still looks pretty much like the combiner port, except they plugged something in it, cause honestly, that part on it looks removable.

NightHawk
2011-04-15, 12:06 PM
Vangelus has posted his first review on Causality on Youtube starting with Warcry.

It seems I was right about the combiner port being plugged.

l9W6XXcIEPY

Thunderwave
2011-04-15, 12:54 PM
It seems I was right about the combiner port being plugged.

I saw a picture yesterday of Bruticus using Flameblast and Warcry rather then Explorer and Munitioner, so the port is fully functional once you get the plug out. However I do like that they made a plug for it, seeing as even though it shares a mold with a combiner it's not expressedly supposed to be used for that.

NightHawk
2011-04-15, 02:49 PM
Technically you could make a "Bruticus" by just using Energon Barricade or any of it's repaints by purely using FP's Crossfire X2 or Causality. Bit pricey though, as you will need two Explorer's due to that one little connection part.

Thunderwave
2011-04-15, 03:26 PM
Technically you could make a "Bruticus" by just using Energon Barricade or any of it's repaints by purely using FP's Crossfire X2 or Causality. Bit pricey though, as you will need two Explorer's due to that one little connection part.

Both feet are slightly different at the point where it meets the leg transformer. You'd have to alter the foot/'former to get them to sit properly as well. Probably could do it by shaving down the rings that sit above the flat part of the foot. Not a huge deal.

NightHawk
2011-04-15, 06:30 PM
True to that, and like I said, it will be rather costly since you need the connector part for Explorer twice in order to have both arms attached. It's not really worth it....yet somehow I have the feeling that some big spender out there will do it just for the hell of it.