Transformers MV3 Activators ass.---$9.99
Transformers MV3 Cybertech DLX-----$16.99
Transformers MV3 Cybertech Lead----$59.99
Transformers MV3 Cybertech voy-----$29.99
Transformers MV3 Cyberverse basic--$5.99
Transformers MV3 Cyberverse plus---$9.99
Transformers MV3 GO BOTS ass.------$12.99
Transformers MV3 Revving robots----$24.99

These prices are in Canadian currency, and according to the original poster, are not changes from the current toy lines, so US prices shouldn't change either. Deluxes would be about 9.99, etc.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/transformers-3-toyline-size-classes-revealed-170677/

borg72
2010-10-04, 06:47 PM
(except deluxes in the US aren't 9.99 anymore)

so:

legends --> basic
scout --> plus

confusing, when scouts were previously called basics. but suggests at more integration of legends with the main toyline.

also no hint as to what GO BOTS are, but i'm guessing something bumper-battler ish.

Cliffjumper
2010-10-04, 08:32 PM
...or it could be that Hasbro have realised they're hoarding gold and we're getting new takes on Mr. Moto, Raizor, Bugsie, Scales et al. Or not.

praetorian
2010-10-04, 11:52 PM
(except deluxes in the US aren't 9.99 anymore)

They sort-of bounce back and forth between $12 and $10. When they were clearing out ROTF stuff before the Generations line came in, the local Walmart and Target both marked them all down to $10. Now the deluxes are back up to $11.88 at Walmart.

I'm also wondering what the difference between Cyberverse and Cybertech is.

numbat
2010-10-05, 08:41 AM
I'm also wondering what the difference between Cyberverse and Cybertech is.
A few letters? Typo perhaps?

Summerhayes
2010-10-05, 09:49 PM
One of them sort of makes sense but the other is just some vaguely science fictiony words stuck together.

numbat
2010-10-06, 01:06 PM
One of them sort of makes sense but the other is just some vaguely science fictiony words stuck together.
The question is: Which one is which?

In fairness, they both sound pretty pants...

Halfshell
2010-10-07, 08:57 AM
Looking at the price point on the Cyberverse stuff, I'd guess it's dodgy tie-in stuff in the same vein as those wacky model cars with sculpted robot bodies underneath.

Summerhayes
2010-10-10, 03:25 PM
To me, Cyberverse sounds like it should be some kind of role-play helmets and guns stuff with an aspect of Augmented Reality on smart phones and 3DS thrown in.
My spider sense is telling me I'm gonna be disapointed.

praetorian
2010-12-21, 04:53 PM
<Snip>

Apparently pictures are a no-no for the moment according to Hasbro.

-Clay

Clay
2010-12-24, 10:56 AM
So as to not leave this thread totally void of information...

So far, we've got three toys of existing characters that have shown up.

A remolded Battle Blade Bumblebee
A new voyager Megatron mold
A new voyager Ironhide mold

Pictures were shown, but have mostly been taken down at the request of Hasbro.

praetorian
2010-12-24, 09:03 PM
Are we at least allowed to say what the toys are?

Because Megatron is not coming back as either a tank or Cybertronian jet.

EDIT: Looks like there's a new Optimus Prime mold too.

Shrapnel Clone
2010-12-25, 03:22 PM
Seibertron still has the images at removed (at time of posting).

Warcry
2010-12-26, 09:16 AM
Seibertron still has the images at removed (at time of posting).
Please don't repost links when they've been removed by staff.

Discuss all you want, but it's bad form to link directly to pictures of stolen toys that Hasbro has specifically asked fansites not to display.

Denyer
2010-12-26, 01:46 PM
And it's not as if it's hard to type the name of a film plus a character into a search engine. Seems to be a lot of more "mainstream" coverage of things like toy prototypes since the first [live-action] movie.

Shrapnel Clone
2010-12-27, 12:39 PM
Please don't repost links when they've been removed by staff.

Hehehe, how could I have known there were links to the site when you removed em from the first post? I thought you had the images there. Might be handy to actually mention that links to the images aren't allowed either. :)

More on topic:

Well, I don't know what to think of the new choice for Megatron's alt mode. Then again, I don't like it that he returns for another movie. Maybe Shockwave will kill him off, that would be good...

numbat
2010-12-28, 09:39 PM
I'm very pleased that these toys have proven that Megatron is the Mad Max truck - about time he got an Earth alt mode. The robot mode looks pretty cool as well - I wasn't sure how they would pull the new design off with any form of consistency with his previous alien designs, so as not to alienate the audience (of course, the Protoforms in the first film did not bear too much resemblance to the final characters, but that probably would not fly with a major character after all the introductions and in the third film!). And, is that a cannon on his arm? I look forward to seeing the Leader Class version.

HeavyArms
2011-01-08, 06:32 AM
If anyone is interested, there is a listing for Dark Of The Moon Megatron on ebay Australia.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Transformers-Dark-Moon-MEGATRON-MISB-/280613226469?pt=AU_Action_Figures&hash=item4155da07e5[/URL]

If anyone has a problem with this post, according to the TOS or whatever, you can take it down, no problem.

Shrapnel Clone
2011-01-08, 12:10 PM
If anyone is interested, there is a listing for Dark Of The Moon Megatron on ebay Australia.

WATCH OUT - IT'S A TARP!!

Sorry, had to get that joke out of my system.

On a serious note: is his head asymetrical, or is it me?

Rack 'n Ruin
2011-01-08, 12:31 PM
On a serious note: is his head asymetrical, or is it me?

It's probably you, but don't worry; most of us are.

Summerhayes
2011-01-08, 06:46 PM
Why do I do it? I think "I'm gonna avoid spoiling the film for myself this time, I want to be surprised like I was when Optimus died". And what do I do? I read a spoiler tag and click on a link five minutes after coming into the site.

I'm undecided about Megatron being a truck. It seems a bi low for him. But it is cool that he's got a proper Earth mode and it seems to imply to me that we'll get a nice big robo e robo showdown between him and the other significant truck.

Warcry
2011-01-08, 09:02 PM
If anyone has a problem with this post, according to the TOS or whatever, you can take it down, no problem.
Hasbro's crackdown on DOTM prototypes/etc. doesn't seem to have lasted long, since they're all over the internet now and not getting pulled down.

Should be OK to post stuff like this again.

Slayer-Fan123
2011-01-09, 10:51 PM
Hasbro's crackdown on DOTM prototypes/etc. doesn't seem to have lasted long, since they're all over the internet now and not getting pulled down.

Should be OK to post stuff like this again.

Good, I'd like to see these prototypes. I'd search for them, but I'm too lazy...
Megatron as a truck sounds fairly interesting.

praetorian
2011-01-12, 03:30 PM
Possible toy listing:

New toy additions for the Autobots include:

Leader Sentinel Prime
Leader Bumblebee
Voyager Optimus Prime with Trailer
Voyager Ironhide
Deluxe Autobot Ratchet
Deluxe Autobot Skids
Deluxe Sideswipe
Deluxe Roadbuster
Deluxe Sponsor Car 2 (Wrecker)
Deluxe Arcee
Deluxe Air Ride
Deluxe Jolt
Voyager Military Helicopter

And in the Decepticon camp:

Voyager Megatron
Deluxe Starscream
Deluxe Barricade
Deluxe Crankcase
Voyager New Villain

Source (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/possible-dark-of-the-moon-initial-toy-release-sheet-171250/)

praetorian
2011-01-24, 03:30 PM
OK, not totally clear on the rules here, so if Hasbro makes another 'net sweep and takes these down, I guess that's that. There are tons of toy pics out there; I've seen Optimus, Megatron, Barricade, Bumblebee, Ironhide, Ratchet, Starscream, another Human Alliance, and some legends class toys too.

But this is all new:
It's Shockwave!
http://bbs.actoys.net/read.php?tid-574716.html

numbat
2011-01-24, 10:36 PM
Interesting...

Another non-descript Cybertronian tank? That's an original alt mode for a Movieverse villain. Still, robot mode is pretty cool (and remarkably heavily references G1 unlike some other Decepticons)and hopefully requires a fun transformation.

praetorian
2011-01-27, 03:28 PM
Some new news/rumors:

Possible Ultimate Optimus Prime w/trailer. His trailer will carry weapons and form a power suit. Apparently these will ship two per case, leading to speculation that we're looking at Devastator price point.
Source (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/transformers-3-dark-of-the-moon-ultimate-optimus-prime-171332/)

Pics of Leader class Bumblebee, Voyager Optimus Prime w/Mech Tech, and Deluxe Starscream.
Source 1 (http://www.transmy.com/another-dotm-leader-bumblebee-deluxe-starscream-closeup.html)
Source 2 (http://bbs.actoys.net/read.php?tid-575532.html)

praetorian
2011-02-08, 05:41 AM
Pics of Ultimate Optimus Prime with transforming trailer. Source. (http://io9.com/#!5754229/is-transformers-3s-optimus-prime-a-giant-robotic-butterfly/gallery/1)

numbat
2011-02-08, 06:56 AM
Well, that answers that - not nearly as good as the ROTF Leader version.

But I guess, given the price point, the cab section and standard Prime is probably smaller than Leader Class, and hopefully easier to transform (for the sake of kids - and their dads!). Really not sure where they're going with the designs - on the one hand we have beardy transformers, and on the other we now have elegant angular mecha that looks like a cross between Anime and Tron Legacy, and would be at home with the Omega Supreme art floating around. I was hoping for some heavily armoured Powermaster Prime upgrade - after all, we did flying armoured Prime last time round. I doubt I'll be tempted to pick that up, unless the film somehow really leaves a mark on me.

glazios
2011-02-08, 02:08 PM
Pics of Ultimate Optimus Prime with transforming trailer. Source. (http://io9.com/#!5754229/is-transformers-3s-optimus-prime-a-giant-robotic-butterfly/gallery/1)

Hmm... I was looking forward to see how this would turn out... So much for great expectations, following the ROTF Leader figure. This looks positively shyte. My Wallet weeps in relief - and in terror at the thought of TF:United and TF:Prime figures to which said savings will be directed.

Paul053
2011-02-11, 07:07 PM
Sentinel Prime and the ark! (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/02/11/transformers-3-hasbro-toys/)

Prowl1984
2011-02-11, 09:26 PM
Must...own...Ark...toy....

quite surprised that i'm impressed with Megs too

Thunderwave
2011-02-11, 09:43 PM
Must...own...Ark...toy....

I second that notion.

From what I've head, however, that it's part of their "Cyberverse" subline, which from what I've read goes back to the old Micromaster play style, namely transforming playsets and little guys that go on/interact with them.

Summerhayes
2011-02-12, 07:26 AM
Ark: yes please.
Sentinel Prime: very cool

But I think it's time for me to stop clicking on the News board. No more spoilers for me!

Rattrap's tail
2011-02-13, 02:29 PM
Here are quite some visible spoilers of upcoming toys. These pictures were taken by CollectionDX and they show quite some new stuff.
Among these things is a new Powerglide(unexpected) and a LEADER class Ironhide.

Linky: http://www.collectiondx.com/news_item/21311/hasbro_private_showroom_2011_toy_fair_transformers_star_wars_marvel_gijoe

EDIT: there's even more here http://www.seibertron.com/events/gallery.php?event_id=167&size=0&start=50

Wildrider
2011-02-13, 08:33 PM
Some cool looking stuff on there, the 'Prime' toys look ace, but I have to admit I'm most exited about the Lego transformers alluded to right at the end of the BBTS article!

Kreons eh? G1 flavoured Lego compatible TF figures and sets? Sold! :)

Cliffjumper
2011-02-13, 09:49 PM
ZARANA? CRAZYLEGS?

Brimstone
2011-02-14, 01:12 AM
Oh ho ho ho!

Roadbuster and Topspin!

:)

Prowl1984
2011-02-14, 10:02 AM
Topspin looks completely insane. i'm assuming the ridiculously accessorized alt-mode is just for the toy. Megatron's looking awesome though.

numbat
2011-02-14, 07:55 PM
I am absolutely loving Megatron! I'm concerned a Leader class version is not looking to be on the cards though - it's his best design, for crimeny!

Sentinel Prime also looks really cool - quite different, and if he doesn't just have angular fire engine parts on his back, and behind his legs etc. is a must buy.

I always wanted a Leader Ironhide - pity the actual thing doesn't appear to deliver. Where's the bulk? He's still scrawny, and looks to be less film accurate and with more kibble than the original Voyager figure...

Topspin and Roadbuster look totally mental - can't wait to see them onscreen!

Overall, I'm liking the look. Shame about the massive and tacky Mechtech crap attached to the line. Oh, and that Ultimate Butterfly Prime - what a disaster. They should have quit while they were ahead with Primes...

Preda
2011-02-14, 10:18 PM
Actually,

about the gimmick with the so-called junk... I love it. Especially with the ROTF figures I always thought articulation and design were put above fun, and so far these DOTM figures actually look like something none of the ROTF figures did look like - like a toy.

I mean come on, is that Ultimate Optimus Prime so bad? So far it does not look like it has any more articulation than Cybertron Leader Prime, and that figure is just awesome and still one of my favorites.

The DOTM figures might have transformations that are more simply, and I would enjoy that, because even though I love the Masterpiece-ness of my ROTF Prime, this ain't no toy. Toys are for kids, and kids want gimmicks. And collectors can keep them in the box, so it does not matter.

Personally I am looking forward to the line, my wallet does not.

numbat
2011-02-16, 09:13 AM
When you're right, you're right Preda.

Many of the ROTF figures were atrocious as toys - especially Leader Prime.

It is good that the new line does look to be a little more child friendly.

As I already have better versions of some of the characters from a collector's point of view, it will also be gentler on my finances.

Still, many of DOTM toys do look great, and I'm quite happy with simple transformations that deliver a good toy. I'm still a fan of Barricade and Classic Camaro Bumblebee from the first film.

HeavyArms
2011-05-21, 07:56 AM
Looks like the toys have been released at least a month before the movie is released, as there are listings for DOTM toys on Ebay and Amazon, and I have seen quite a few at my local Toys'r'us. May post pictures if I remember to take them next week.

Thunderwave
2011-05-21, 10:43 AM
Looks like the toys have been released at least a month before the movie is released, as there are listings for DOTM toys on Ebay and Amazon, and I have seen quite a few at my local Toys'r'us. May post pictures if I remember to take them next week.

Urm, well, yes. They had a street date of 5/16/2011. I've already got a small pile of them myself that I bought at a few local shops. It's fairly common practice these days to launch the line a month or so in advance to help build interest and to, well, sell more toys.

Summerhayes
2011-05-21, 06:36 PM
Looks like the toys have been released at least a month before the movie is released

Hmm . . . I might have a browse. Are there any huge spoilers in the line?

Warcry
2011-05-22, 12:13 AM
Like ROTF, a lot of the characters who show up in the toyline won't show up in the movie. That extends to at least a few of the guys who've gotten new molds made for them. Two of the more expensive toys are characters who they obviously wouldn't have made if they didn't show up in the film, but if you've seen the trailers you've probably already seen both of them anyway.

glazios
2011-05-25, 12:34 AM
You'll have to forgive what's probably a dumb question to some, but I haven't really been keeping up with the Movie toylines. So, just out of curiosity, what characters are getting Leader-Class figures for this film?

I ask because I don't recall any news reports at Seibertron or TFW2005 detailing this info, and after following Optibotimus' and Peaugh's reviews as avidly as I do and hearing what they think of the DOTM line thus far, my curiosity is admittedly getting the better of me.

'Botimus almost had me sold on DOTM Megs earlier, but it's a Voyager-Class figure, and if there's a Leader-Class figure of it coming at some point, I doubt I'll bother picking it up.

That said, though, I'm not sure what the hell I'm gonna do anyway, even if a Leader Megs figure does come out, as I'm currently prepping to move house and money's going to start getting tight soon...

Thunderwave
2011-05-25, 12:41 AM
As far as I've heard there is going to be a Leader Sentinel Prime, Bumblebee, Ironhide, and Optimus. No word yet on any Decepticons as of yet.

Warcry
2011-05-25, 12:43 AM
'Botimus almost had me sold on DOTM Megs earlier, but it's a Voyager-Class figure, and if there's a Leader-Class figure of it coming at some point, I doubt I'll bother picking it up.
There's no bigger Megatron coming as far as I know. We might see another Leader or two announced at BotCon (barely a week away, WTF? How is it almost June already?), although between Bumblebee, Ironhide, Sentinel Prime and Ultimate Optimus Prime we're only one short of the number of Leader and bigger molds that we saw for ROTF (Prime, Megatron, Jetfire, Ultimate Bumblebee and Devastator).

Me, I'd be happy with the Voyager mold if they give it a proper colour scheme somewhere down the road.

glazios
2011-05-25, 12:48 AM
Hmm... Well, seeing as there's so many Autobots getting Leader-class figures for this film, I think it'd be bit strange if they didn't throw in a 'Con or two to even out the playing field. Granted, kids might have the Leaders from the previous films, but still...

Glad Ironhide is getting a Leader-class figure now, though. The character model deserves a figure of that size class.

Blackjack
2011-05-25, 11:32 AM
Probably Shockwave or Megatron, or that massive thing from the trailers, will get a release, I guess.

numbat
2011-06-27, 07:58 PM
What's with the hideous DOTM Deluxe Sideswipe (ROTF, blue and yellow repaint) and Bumblebee repaints that've just appeared in Sainsbury's? These the new shelfwarmers? They seem to have filled the shelves with these two figures alone!

Are they mainline, or some sort of US store exclusive that's found their way to the UK by the crateload?

Clay
2011-06-29, 08:17 AM
Are they mainline, or some sort of US store exclusive that's found their way to the UK by the crateload?

The latter.

numbat
2011-06-29, 08:37 AM
The latter.
Great. I know what'll be shelfwarming for the next year or two now!

They look awful!

Xeno-the-Hedgehog
2011-07-07, 08:40 PM
I recently picked up the Deluxe Crankcase figure. The figure looks awesome in both forms and has one of the most fluid transformations of any figure I've ever owned. It would be perfect...if its fingertips hadn't broken off.

Warcry
2011-07-08, 04:25 AM
It's worse than you think! Hasbro deliberately clipped them because of some combination of being afraid kids would poke their eyes out and realizing that making a toy with gigantic, upraised middle fingers might piss off some parents.

You'd think that would have been something they'd catch in the design phase, but no.

Notabot
2011-07-08, 04:25 PM
If I understand correctly, there are now 3 variants of Crankcase's hands: Original Stabby McBird hands, the clipped finger, and one that has a completely different molded hand.
Regarding Crankcase, anyone else's toy have really tight dreadlocks that broke right away when you tried to move them? I'll be taking him back for a new one, but I'm wondering if that's a running problem or something I just got unlucky on for this one.

Xeno-the-Hedgehog
2011-07-09, 11:42 PM
Waitaminute, you mean to tell me that I sent it back for NOTHING?!

numbat
2011-07-11, 09:22 PM
If I understand correctly, there are now 3 variants of Crankcase's hands: Original Stabby McBird hands, the clipped finger, and one that has a completely different molded hand.
Regarding Crankcase, anyone else's toy have really tight dreadlocks that broke right away when you tried to move them? I'll be taking him back for a new one, but I'm wondering if that's a running problem or something I just got unlucky on for this one.
Don't play with Crankase's dreadlocks! They'll make you go blind!

I have an original Stabby McBird hands version, but the dreadlocks are glued in place, lacking the articulation the mould and instructions suggest was intended.

I think it may well be the case that no production versions actually have articulated dreads.

Thankfully I realised this when the dreadlocks started to crack, but before they snapped off.

A shame - they get in the way when posing (but not seriously so).

Notabot
2011-07-11, 10:07 PM
I returned the one with the busted dreads, and the replacement one came missing a foot and with a weirdly rough back window. Someday I'll have a functioning Crankcase. Someday...

As for the dreadlocks, I'm not sure if they're glued or just pinned in really tightly. Either way, I'll be leaving them pretty much just as they are. My daughter suggested braiding them to keep them out of the way like she does with her hair. Maybe Masterpiece Crankcase will come with a comb and barrettes in hopes of getting girls into the line.

Xeno-the-Hedgehog
2011-07-12, 02:04 AM
The dreads on mine swivel with minimal difficulty. I ultimately decided not to ship the box in which I had repackaged mine. Anybody else find it odd that the instructions don't demonstrate how you can position the insect mandibles to stick out front in vehicle mode?

numbat
2011-07-12, 10:36 PM
Went in to Tesco at Inverness today to get dinner on my way up to Liathach for work. Of course, being as it is that there's no Tesco near where I live, I checked out the TFs (and picked up DOTM Deluxe Bumblebee given it was reduced to 8.47).

I noticed a DOTM Voyager Class Starscream. Is that a redeco of the ROTF mould? Looked quite nice in snazzy silver, but at 26 or whatever it was priced at, I left it - besides, HFTD Leader Starscream can't be defeated (he even says so!).

Anyhoo - not a figure I was aware of in the line, but I'm not doing well at keeping up. Is it mainline, or another random US exclusive that's found it's way onto UK shelves en mass?

Thunderwave
2011-07-13, 12:07 AM
Anyhoo - not a figure I was aware of in the line, but I'm not doing well at keeping up. Is it mainline, or another random US exclusive that's found it's way onto UK shelves en mass?

It's a Target Exclusive over here iirc. If it's got a red canopy for the jet mode, then that's the Target one. There should also be a Ratchet that comes in the same case pack.

Notabot
2011-07-13, 04:05 AM
:clap::swirly::clap:
I got a Crankcase with new hands, two feet, dreadlocks that work, and very few paint errors! Thanks to some product code lists (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/dark-of-the-moon-crankcase-product-codes-to-avoid-damaged-fingers/21700/) (and searching to figure out where the product code is on the packaging), I didn't get one with lopped off fingers.

(For the record, the pc of 11121 seems to be all new hands. It's not listed in the linked list.)

inflatable dalek
2011-07-13, 06:18 AM
It's a Target Exclusive over here iirc. If it's got a red canopy for the jet mode, then that's the Target one. There should also be a Ratchet that comes in the same case pack.

Do these have pictures of an IDW comic on the front top right hand corner? It seemed a bit odd as it doesn't actually say it includes a comic, but if it originally had "TARGET EXCLUSIVE!!" over that bit that'd explain why it was removed. Assuming the comic is still even in there.

numbat
2011-07-13, 02:52 PM
Yup, those are the ones Dalek.

No Ratchets in the store I went to yesterday, but I've stopped off at a different Tesco on my way back after camping on Liathach last night (most beautiful views in the world - and I was paid for the time!). This store is crawling with Ratchets and very few Screamers. Funny they went the 'exclusive' route with these, given the characters and apparent lack of many Voyager Class figures in the main line. Regardless, I'm happy with my Movie metallic Voyager Ratchet and while Starscream is tempting, I can't justify it given the awesomeness that is HFTD Leader Class Starscream.

Clay
2011-12-06, 07:33 AM
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11379&mode=retail

Asian exclusive Year of the Dragon Ultimate Prime redeco.

Not to comment on the merits of the Ultimate Prime toy itself, but that's a pretty neat idea for an exclusive.

numbat
2011-12-06, 09:07 AM
I saw that the other week, and was quite excited by it until I realised it was a repaint of DOTM Ultimate Prime. The paintjob is really neat, but I have no interest in the mould. Shame.

Clay
2012-02-13, 08:49 AM
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys--products-30/dark-of-the-moon-human-alliance-soundwave--deluxe-leadfoot-wheeljack-and-soundwave-cancelled-174383/

numbat
2012-02-13, 05:32 PM
Bummer.

:(

Glad I picked up HA Soundwave and very grateful for Knightdramon fixing me up with a Deluxe Soundwave now (of course, I was already, but now all the more-so!). I can only imagine this will push online prices for the Japanese versions sky-high.

Shame - there were way too many Bumblebee repaints and remoulds in the DOTM Deluxe assortments (still clogging my local stores!), yet three fresh moulds have fallen by the wayside.

Ach well.

Cliffjumper
2012-02-13, 05:35 PM
Unless there's a big problem with GM/Merc, surely they'll be out in early waves of the TF4 line? Do feel slightly less foolish about forking out 4 times retail for Leadfoot now, at least.

numbat
2012-02-13, 05:45 PM
Unless there's a big problem with GM/Merc, surely they'll be out in early waves of the TF4 line? Do feel slightly less foolish about forking out 4 times retail for Leadfoot now, at least.
Aye, you got the laugh this time!

:)

I'm really happy with my HA version of Leadfoot, but would love a set of Wreckers at Deluxe or HA scale... I may hunt down the Deluxe one, but I guess his price will rocket now.

It's just so weird - there are figures of Jolt, Skids and Mudflap choking my local Asda, yet none of these guys appeared in the film. At the same time, Soundwave, Que and Leadfoot who are in the movie won't see a release... I think this says more about Hasbro choosing to release non-film characters and a gazillion versions of Prime and Bumblebee (which most fans of the film will have one or two versions of already) ahead of the new characters that do appear, as opposed to theories that people have lost interest in the film toys, despite high cinema ticket takings for DOTM. Plus, the fact that Hasbro seems to run multiple lines in together probably doesn't help, as retailers will want to stock the current trend.

I hope that's the case anyway. I'd like to see Hasbro learn from this for TF4.

Cliffjumper
2012-02-13, 06:24 PM
I would say the hugely positive response to Prime has been the biggest problem. Hasbro fairly rapidly went from "it won't have a toyline" to "oh, maybe a few" to "clear the decks, Prime's coming". I would say DotM probably was a slight downturn in sales from ROTF, but the main reason for the line being wound down so quickly (what were the last figures released now? There can't have been much more than 2/3 waves) is to make space for Prime.

I do think it was a fairly late decision, or we'd have seen the three Deluxes in earlier waves, and there probably were plans to do some of the 'holes' in the line (Leader Megatron and/or Shockwave; HA Topspin; a matching set of Wreckers; Dino) that were shelved.

Prime's not tied to anyone but Hasbro - the vehicles are unlicensed, the show's on their own network. That's probably a hell of a lot more appealing to Hasbro than moulds that are dependant on licenses from car companies and promoted largely by a film company that doesn't actually seem to be outright answerable to them.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of toy support TF4 receives if Prime sells really well still in 2013 or whenever it's out; it wouldn't surprise me if it's relegated to a sub-label of Generations, especially as there's every chance the models for the likes of Prime, Bumblebee and Sideswipe will just be reused on-screen. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see the moulds that are clearly ready to go with a Japanese release under them released later in Generations as Movie Series or something, possibly before the end of the year, before whatever licences expire.

The reported Season 2 cast expansion of Prime, plus the possibility of upgrade recolours and different character recolours/retools

Brimstone
2012-02-13, 08:47 PM
Well...that sucks ass. :(

No Dino, Que, Leadfoot, or Soundwave. RotF was bad enough when we didn't get a Scrapper or Overload (well, mostly I just wanted a Scrapper...he looked pretty cool). But seriously...to not have Soundwave!? And instead have a hundred f****** versions of Bumblebee? What are we, Mattel now? :|

Maybe they should have spent less time and money making new moulds for characters that people mostly hated from the first movie (ala the Twins...and to some extent, Jolt). Oh, and more importantly...weren't even in the damn movie.

<sigh>

Okay...rant over. I'm just upest. Soundwave and Leadfoot looked cool though, so, I'm disappointed I won't be able to get them.

(p.s. I ranted on Jolt some...but the new mould was pretty cool. I just didn't care because he wasn't even in the movie)

Brimstone
2012-02-13, 08:50 PM
You know...(sorry for the double post)...with all the BS that happened with the Transformers 3 Blu-ray release. And the pretty lackluster release we finally got, even the 3D "deluxe" version pretty much sucked. It makes you wonder if Hasbro and Dreamworks were just ready to be done with TF3 for some reason.

Kind of upsetting, as it was far better than #2, in my opinion.

numbat
2012-02-13, 09:31 PM
(p.s. I ranted on Jolt some...but the new mould was pretty cool. I just didn't care because he wasn't even in the movie)

Well, for what it's worth, DOTM Jolt is a really good figure. Still, I'd have preferred the opportunity to buy toys of characters that actually appear in the film.

You know...(sorry for the double post)...with all the BS that happened with the Transformers 3 Blu-ray release. And the pretty lackluster release we finally got, even the 3D "deluxe" version pretty much sucked. It makes you wonder if Hasbro and Dreamworks were just ready to be done with TF3 for some reason.

Kind of upsetting, as it was far better than #2, in my opinion.
Aye.

At the end of the day, the main thing for me is the film itself, but still. The Bluray release was very poor, little hyped and the 'trilogy' box set is lack lustre at best - just the three films in their normal plastic boxes held in a boring cardboard sleeve.

It's all quite odd, considering the film did extremely well, regardless of views as to its superiority over ROTF (which I share). All quite weird.

Cliffjumper
2012-02-13, 10:03 PM
Jolt's the weird one - the Twins were possibly slated to appear until late enough in the day that the moulds were maybe basically done and they made sense as makeweights in an early wave; but as far as I can tell there was never any serious consideration for including Jolt in the film (to the extent where IDW were allowed to kill him in their shitty prequel comic).

That said, Hasbro seemed to have changed their minds about DotM after the first couple of waves had landed - I don't think the line was planned to be particularly smaller than ROTF when it first landed, something (and my money is on surprise at just how much of a hit Prime was) changed around autumn (am I right in thinking we had next to no new Western DotM figures after about August?).

Over here at least DotM seems to be shelf-warming badly - I can't think of many figures I couldn't still pick up at retail here. I think part of the problem is the success of ROTF. For the 2007 movie, the figures were generally not so great and needed work, plus some of the 'cast' toys suffered from poor avaliability as Hasbro misjudged demand. ROTF brought out generally better figures in bigger numbers (and some, like Leader Prime, Jolt, Bumblebee Sideswipe, Ironhide etc. were basically continued into HFTD with only minor modifications) and sorted a lot of this out; a lot of kids, fans and older casuals probably saw little reason to upgrade for DotM. I would suspect the first couple of waves were over-produced, and retailers are now reluctant to take on more stock when they already have so much - all of it branded and linked to an 8-month old film.

numbat
2012-02-13, 10:18 PM
I agree Cliffy. This is obviously a late gamechange, likely due to the success of Prime. Still, it seems Hasbro have suffered here through releasing figures of non-film characters early on, which has ultimately resulted in what are not insignificant movie bots missing release despite moulds being designed (and produced). I don't think that Hasbro have capitalised on DOTM fully, due to this odd early loading of waves with non-film characters, remoulds (and new moulds) of previous film characters, and multiple 'Bees at the expense of new characters. Seems a waste of such an epic multi-million dollar advertising opportunity (ie film). Sorry, I can't hide the fact I'm quite disappointed. And does this mean no DOTM Leader Megatron?

Denyer
2012-02-13, 10:25 PM
Plus most will assume that a movie series has run its course as a trilogy -- even if there are more films tacked on, they're unlikely to follow swiftly or with as much interest.

Jaynz
2012-02-14, 04:07 AM
I think the 'failure' of the DOTM toys has more to do with the fact that there were an awful lot of toys that were minor updates to characters that have already been in two other years' worth of toys. Why would Timmy want yet another Bumblebee when there's only been about 200 of them in the past few years. Obviously the same is true of Prime himself, then you get a bunch of Ironhides, Megatrons, Starscreams, Ratchets... Effectively, the movies were demanding that kids buy pretty-much the 'same toys' for five years running, and parents had enough of it. Retailers, seeing walls of Bumblebee, Skids, Mudflap, etc. not selling, decided they too had had enough.

I really don't think that TF:Prime was on the retailer side of the equation. The Hub only has a limited audience and the big sales pitch for the line hadn't hit. If Prime was expected to be 'the big hit', the mainline toys would have shown up in October, not February and well after the big sale time.

Clay
2012-02-14, 04:51 AM
When was the last time the last wave with new molds was all-out canceled? Beast Machines with Battle Unicorn?

I remember that the last waves of Universe 2008 (Ratchet and Hot Shot) and ROTF (red Rampage) saw scarce release (I never saw them myself), but they weren't altogether discarded.

I'm sure that with Hasbro's pattern of having four lines running simultaneously that the molds will show up in some capacity in the next year or two. Whether or not they stick with a movie deco (I can see Leadfoot missing lots of logos, in particular) is another matter - Soundwave may show up as a blue car just for the lulz.

Cliffjumper
2012-02-14, 05:39 AM
Yeh, I think it's very much that the Dark of the Moon line has been cancelled, and as yet there are no plans to release the figures in question. But the moulds are there completely ready to go, and will surely be out in something - I suppose the precedent against that is Animated Blackout, but then I doubt TF4 is going to have a vast visual makeover so the toys will likely fit into the look. Even the deaths of Que and Soundwave aren't that much of a problem really what with HA Jazz coming out three years after the first film; it'll be whether the licenses with manufacturers expire or whatever.

Regarding what we did get, I don't think it can be really underestimated how much kids like Bumblebee. The character must have shifted something like 25 figures in the past five years, I don't think a couple more are suddenly the reason for the line not shifting. It wouldn't surprise me if he still outsold the likes of Topspin, Sideswipe and Roadbuster.

Regarding the Twins, as I say I don't think they'd have been included if the short life of the DotM line had been known when the first couple of waves hit. Now they're out and plans have changed Hasbro can't go back and change it. I would suspect for the average buyer there's not a lot of difference between not in the film and being in the film for a handful of scenes with half a dozen lines - Que wouldn't have been serious paydirt or anything. For most kids it's probably Prime, Bumblebee and then everyone else, with a Transformer being a Transformer after that.

When the line's doing well it can sell anyone really (witness how well the likes of Landmine went in 2007); when it's not it can't. I don't think there were a huge amount of casual buyers consciously abstaining from DotM until relatively minor screen characters came out, more that they were skipping the line altogether anyway. Removing Skids, Mudflap and Jolt from earlier waves would have meant a little less variety in the shelf-warmers and not much else.

Regarding Prime, it probably wasn't so much retailers wanting Prime as wanting anything other than DotM, and Prime makes all the right noises for Hasbro.

As I say, it really wouldn't surprise me if the TF4 line is vastly down-scaled from even DotM. The Autobots will probably follow much the same cast pattern - Prime and Bumblebee central, ranks padded out with extant models, maybe a couple of new grunts; the Decepticons only had a handful of new toys last time out, and we won't get much more this time. It wouldn't surprise me if we mainly had recolours and retools in the line, TBH - it's going to be more like a cinema line than a toy line.