PDA

View Full Version : [New RPG] A very basic, very tentative plot skeleton

Warcry
2010-12-23, 07:04 AM
Here's a very brief outline of the ideas that the staff have been tossing around. All of this is subject to change as new ideas come out, though.

The story begins on Cybertron. The planet is ruled by Zeta Prime, an old war hero whose way of thinking and deeply-held religious beliefs are growing more and more out of touch with mainstream Cybertronian culture all the time (if we have any history buffs in the crowd, think of Hindenburg's presidency in inter-war Germany). Dozens of different groups have started to agitate for change but they've all been so small and ineffectual that they're easy to ignore...until Megatron draws them all together into his Decepticons and war breaks out.

In canon stories the Great War lasts thousands or millions of years before Cybertron is wrecked. Here it would be different, both for gameplay purposes (to get us going to Earth) and for the sake of realism (a species with the level of tech that TFs have fighting an all-out world war could ruin a planet in no time flat). Out of a population of at least millions, the survivors number in the thousands after only a few weeks, we've seen Cybertronian society collapse and the planet can't support life anymore.

Both sides prepare to flee, but before the Autobots in Iacon can evacuate, Megatron launches an all-out attack. He manages to cause massive damage and kills Zeta Prime. Then both sides set off, with Megatron deciding to take his personal ship in pursuit of the Ark so that he can finish off the Autobots once and for all.

When the Autobots arrive on Earth, they need to deal with adapting to a new world and fending off Decepticon attacks with a rookie leader at the helm.

There are a few other wrinkles as well.

Aero Blade suggested that the Decepticons would want to destroy religious shrines or artifacts as a symbolic strike against Prime, and that makes a lot of sense to me.

We've also discussed in quite a bit of depth the prospect of having the Matrix pass to Sentinel Prime (as in the jerk from Animated) for a while after Zeta dies, just to add to the drama.

Another idea, which I really like, is that the Transformers need to travel across the stars at slower-than-light speeds. That allows for a big time gap between them leaving Cybertron and arriving at Earth, creating uncertainty about what's happened to the homeworld in their absence and also whether any other colonies of Cybertronians have successfully established themselves out in the galaxy.

There were other things that we've discussed too, but IMO those ideas deserve separate threads later.

It's the bare bones of an idea, but I think it's a good starting point for a new timeline. Do you guys have any ideas on how we can make it better, while still getting to Earth quickly like most of us seem to want?

verytired
2010-12-23, 09:33 AM
So, the Decepticons are anti-Religious would be tyrants, zealously pursuing the destruction and death of their enemies: in this case the Autobots, but soon to be everyone no doubt? I like this idea, as it leaves artefacts like the Matrix as tools in the eyes of most Decepticons, where as they mean something more to the Autobots.

I would love to see Animated Sentinel interacting with other characters especially.

The slower than light travel sounds good to me in theory, but it leaves the idea of contact from other transformers a little hard to introduce. Could we consider more traditional means also, such as a Spacebridge accident, leaving the set up more something along the lines with what we've seen in the start of the Prime cartoon? The Autobots and Decepticons can be equally stranded on Earth due to lack of tech and energy, but leave the door open for others finding them a little more easily?

Blackjack
2010-12-23, 10:00 AM
I like how this is going. Very War for Cybertron-ish.

But... we're importing Sentinel Prime from Animated? Awesome. But my suggestion is to keep imported characters like him (and Gigatron, in terms of current characters) to a minimum, though.

So while the Autobots and Decepticons are stranded on Earth, the rest of the Decepticons remain on Cybertron and presumably rule it, like in the Marvel comics/cartoon?

Springer85
2010-12-23, 03:28 PM
I like the War for Cybertron approach with our own twist, but what about charatcers like Pretenders, Targetmasters and Headmasters? Will they be without a partner or shell? Would those be the other colonies you talked about?

I don't know about Animated Sentinel Prime. I would rather see G1 Sentinel Prime (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/beamermagnus/art%20stuff/Sentinel_Prime.jpg) get the Matrix, which you can still do but give him the persona of the Animated one.

The slower than lightspeed travel thing is a good idea. I can already see tensions rising abourd each ship. :up:

miked23
2010-12-23, 05:11 PM
I'm liking the hint of War for Cybertron in this outline it sounds really cool. And I like that the Cbybertron would be destroyed very quickly.

I like Aero Blade's suggestion about destroying religious shrines or artifacts it make some sense that this sort of thing would happen.

I am not to fond of the matrix going to sentinal prime thing. But that more because I don't know who sentinal prime is. I am sure it would really add some good drama.

I am not sure how much I like the idea that the transformers travel at slower than light speeds. I really don't think it makes sense that such an advanced race hasn't achieved that light speed travel. Gameplay wise I would be worried that they would become bogged down with nothing to do. How much can you really do on a starship?

Overall though I really like the direction this is going in.

Warcry
2010-12-23, 05:20 PM
So, the Decepticons are anti-Religious would be tyrants, zealously pursuing the destruction and death of their enemies: in this case the Autobots, but soon to be everyone no doubt?
Some of them would be, anyway. I'd imagine that a lot of them joined for their own reasons and their opposition to the Autobots would be the main thing that unifies them.

The slower than light travel sounds good to me in theory, but it leaves the idea of contact from other transformers a little hard to introduce.
Not necessarily. If other colonies got to their respective worlds hundreds or thousands of years before our cast get to Earth, what's to say that they haven't invented faster-than-light ships in the interim? Or by the same token, what's to say that our characters don't invent a working space bridge or something similar during the course of the game, conveniently just in time for a plot that requires it? :)

But... we're importing Sentinel Prime from Animated? Awesome. But my suggestion is to keep imported characters like him (and Gigatron, in terms of current characters) to a minimum, though.
I don't really see it as importing at all, TBH. If we're setting up the universe from scratch I don't see any reason why non-G1 characters can't be there from the beginning, as long as the characters themselves fit in with the universe we build. But honestly I'm not sure how many people would want to play non-G1 characters anyway, since only a handful of the characters from the shows that followed seem to have much staying power in the fandom's collective mind (Lugnut > you, by the way ;)).

At any rate, I hope that this will be more like "Ultimate Transformers" than just another G1 continuity. Obviously G1 is going to be the starting point, but if non-G1 elements can blend in smoothly with that I'd be all for it. :)

So while the Autobots and Decepticons are stranded on Earth, the rest of the Decepticons remain on Cybertron and presumably rule it, like in the Marvel comics/cartoon?
Actually, I'd thought that Cybertron would be an uninhabitable wasteland immediately after the war, with almost everyone that stays behind dying a slow, horrible death. Then again, depending on how long it takes to get to Earth there's nothing to say that the radiation and such wouldn't have died down to survivable levels.

I like the War for Cybertron approach with our own twist, but what about charatcers like Pretenders, Targetmasters and Headmasters? Will they be without a partner or shell? Would those be the other colonies you talked about?
I don't think we want to limit the characters who can be played to a subset of G1, so I'd expect the Pretenders, Headmasters, etc. would all be on the Ark too (even if they're in stasis 'cause no one is playing them). To start off with I'd figure on them just being regular Transformers, but just like space bridges, combiner tech and so many other things, those technologies would be there to be discovered if/when we think it's time to do so. Of course, there's nothing that says that Hardhead would have to become a Headmaster or that Cloudburst needs to become a Pretender if we discover those technologies, either. Maybe we'll see stuff like Targetmaster Bluestreak, Headmaster Seaspray, Pretender Straxus and Laser Rod Starscream instead. ;)

That said, I think the new toys we've gotten for Bludgeon, Thunderwing and Skullgrin recently have shown that there's a lot of potential for the Pretenders to get interesting redesigns. The same goes for IDW's take on the pre-Pretenders that were following Bludgeon.

I don't know about Animated Sentinel Prime. I would rather see G1 Sentinel Prime (http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/beamermagnus/art%20stuff/Sentinel_Prime.jpg) get the Matrix, which you can still do but give him the persona of the Animated one.
I don't think it matters much what Sentinel Prime looks like, since even the strictly G1 version has about five distinct appearances. Everyone who reads the name will probably see him differently anyway. ;)

His 'official' look would be up to whoever plays him though. Of course, you could always volunteer...

[EDIT]
I am not sure how much I like the idea that the transformers travel at slower than light speeds. I really don't think it makes sense that such an advanced race hasn't achieved that light speed travel. Gameplay wise I would be worried that they would become bogged down with nothing to do. How much can you really do on a starship?
Probably sleep in stasis for the whole length of the trip. To be honest I don't see much else we could do either, so from a gameplay perspective it probably wouldn't be much different than an FTL jump except with different kinds of background drama.

Springer85
2010-12-23, 06:16 PM
At any rate, I hope that this will be more like "Ultimate Transformers" than just another G1 continuity. Obviously G1 is going to be the starting point, but if non-G1 elements can blend in smoothly with that I'd be all for it

Does that mean that original characters like Bulkhead can be introduced too? I really like that actually :)

I don't think we want to limit the characters who can be played to a subset of G1, so I'd expect the Pretenders, Headmasters, etc. would all be on the Ark too (even if they're in stasis 'cause no one is playing them). To start off with I'd figure on them just being regular Transformers, but just like space bridges, combiner tech and so many other things, those technologies would be there to be discovered if/when we think it's time to do so. Of course, there's nothing that says that Hardhead would have to become a Headmaster or that Cloudburst needs to become a Pretender if we discover those technologies, either. Maybe we'll see stuff like Targetmaster Bluestreak, Headmaster Seaspray, Pretender Straxus and Laser Rod Starscream instead.

That said, I think the new toys we've gotten for Bludgeon, Thunderwing and Skullgrin recently have shown that there's a lot of potential for the Pretenders to get interesting redesigns. The same goes for IDW's take on the pre-Pretenders that were following Bludgeon.

Oh! So it really is a blank slate that we are starting with and everything still needs to be discovered regarding those particular technologies? That's quite awesome! :D (Goes searching for a cool altmode for Landmine :swirly:)

I don't think it matters much what Sentinel Prime looks like, since even the strictly G1 version has about five distinct appearances. Everyone who reads the name will probably see him differently anyway. ;)

His 'official' look would be up to whoever plays him though. Of course, you could always volunteer...

Me playing a Prime? No thanks. Since I can't call dibs, (:p) I'm going to see if I can get Ultra Magnus. He's hard enough to play already. I'm really excited about this new approach. Looking forward to it! :up:

Warcry
2010-12-23, 07:39 PM
Does that mean that original characters like Bulkhead can be introduced too? I really like that actually :)
The character from Animated/Prime, you mean? Well, I'm strongly considering playing Lugnut, so... ;)

Oh! So it really is a blank slate that we are starting with and everything still needs to be discovered regarding those particular technologies? That's quite awesome! :D (Goes searching for a cool altmode for Landmine :swirly:)
That's what I'd like to do anyway, and I'm hoping it sounds like fun to all of you. :)

It would make sense to me that everyone would adopt an Earth mode at least for a little while for camouflage, although if/when the 'hiding' thing stops working I imagine we'd see some people going back to the original modes that they're comfortable with.

Me playing a Prime? No thanks. Since I can't call dibs, (:p) I'm going to see if I can get Ultra Magnus. He's hard enough to play already. I'm really excited about this new approach. Looking forward to it! :up:
It'd be nice to see Magnus in the game, IMO. But we'll have to figure out the "how many characters" question before we can start doing any official character claims.

Springer85
2010-12-23, 08:54 PM
The character from Animated/Prime, you mean? Well, I'm strongly considering playing Lugnut, so... ;)

Great :D It'll also give me a chance to introduce Volks to the RPG as I had yet to come up with a way to introduce him. :up:

That's what I'd like to do anyway, and I'm hoping it sounds like fun to all of you. :)

It would make sense to me that everyone would adopt an Earth mode at least for a little while for camouflage, although if/when the 'hiding' thing stops working I imagine we'd see some people going back to the original modes that they're comfortable with.

Does the same go for Triplechanger Technology? Would be fine by me, because that creates story oppertunities too. Somebody developing it, the other faction steals the schematics and stuff :D (Starts dreaming up more stuff :p)

It'd be nice to see Magnus in the game, IMO. But we'll have to figure out the "how many characters" question before we can start doing any official character claims.

Already have a basic plan for the guy in my head that I need to write down, before I forget. However, I'll wait untill I find out what's decided before making full plans though :)

Blackjack
2010-12-24, 02:21 AM
I don't really see it as importing at all, TBH. If we're setting up the universe from scratch I don't see any reason why non-G1 characters can't be there from the beginning, as long as the characters themselves fit in with the universe we build. But honestly I'm not sure how many people would want to play non-G1 characters anyway, since only a handful of the characters from the shows that followed seem to have much staying power in the fandom's collective mind.

True, but it would be a bit of a pain if new players randomly picked a bunch of really obscure guys from other continuities, like, say, Bantor and X-Gunner and Blastcharge and Brushguard or some random Armada guy... so obviously there would need to be limits. Just throwing ideas around here...

Still, this opens a whole new string of options that makes the fanboy in me giggle maniacally. I've got a few non-G1 guys that I might be interested in playing, but I'll wait until character rules are finalized before popping up claiming ideas.

(Lugnut > you, by the way ?)

This bit, we agree on. Lugnut is kickass.

At any rate, I hope that this will be more like "Ultimate Transformers" than just another G1 continuity. Obviously G1 is going to be the starting point, but if non-G1 elements can blend in smoothly with that I'd be all for it

Hope so, too. :)

I don't think it matters much what Sentinel Prime looks like, since even the strictly G1 version has about five distinct appearances. Everyone who reads the name will probably see him differently anyway. ?

If this is the Animated jerk we're talking about and not the nobody from G1, I volunteer.

Are there five? IIRC I can only remember three, four if you count WFC Zeta Prime.

Warcry
2010-12-24, 03:31 AM
Great :D It'll also give me a chance to introduce Volks to the RPG as I had yet to come up with a way to introduce him. :up:
Volks = :up:

Does the same go for Triplechanger Technology? Would be fine by me, because that creates story oppertunities too. Somebody developing it, the other faction steals the schematics and stuff :D (Starts dreaming up more stuff :p)
Hadn't really thought about triplechangers myself, but if you guys figure it's a good idea then sure, why not? :)

True, but it would be a bit of a pain if new players randomly picked a bunch of really obscure guys from other continuities, like, say, Bantor and X-Gunner and Blastcharge and Brushguard or some random Armada guy... so obviously there would need to be limits. Just throwing ideas around here...
Wait, that would be a bad thing? It sounds like fun to me. Hell, Brushguard would probably be one of the most useful Decepticons around once they get to Earth, since he's a xenobotanist.

Now, if it was Brave Maximus, Tidal Wave, Cryotek and Tigerhawk...yeah, then we'd probably have a bit of a problem on our hands.

We'd definitely need to monitor things to make sure that the characters that are being brought in fit with our story, and having multiple incarnations of the same guy running around should IMO be a no-no. But if someone can pluck, oh, I dunno...Evac or Wreckloose and make it seem like they belong, IMO that would be great. Of course, the key is that they'd actually have to be able to do that, so we probably want to take a very close look at anything that seems really out there or bizarre.

If this is the Animated jerk we're talking about and not the nobody from G1, I volunteer.
Fine by me.

Are there five? IIRC I can only remember three, four if you count WFC Zeta Prime.
I actually just pulled that number out of thin air but after doing some checking it seems like I might have accidentally been accurate. There's the version from Marvel, one from the cartoon (all the ancient Autobot leaders have apparently been retconned into being guys like Sentinel, Zeta, etc...), one from Dreamwave (all we see is his arm, but the description in the books apparently make him distinct from all the others) and one from IDW.

Then there's this guy (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Sentinel_Major), a version of the Animated character in the G1 cartoon universe...in spite of the fact that the above retcon means they already have a Sentinel Prime who's long-dead. Oi.

Blackjack
2010-12-24, 05:00 AM
Now, if it was Brave Maximus, Tidal Wave, Cryotek and Tigerhawk...yeah, then we'd probably have a bit of a problem on our hands.

That bit was what I was aiming about.

And please please please don't let multiple Megatrons run around. The older RPG had at least three Megatrons prior to the Quintesson war, and I hadn't even read halfway through the history. It's irritating and confusing.

We'd definitely need to monitor things to make sure that the characters that are being brought in fit with our story, and having multiple incarnations of the same guy running around should IMO be a no-no. But if someone can pluck, oh, I dunno...Evac or Wreckloose and make it seem like they belong, IMO that would be great. Of course, the key is that they'd actually have to be able to do that, so we probably want to take a very close look at anything that seems really out there or bizarre.

Wreckloose is the komodo, right?

Hmm... what about Beast Wars/Machines characters? Would they be feasible in the reboot? I'm not talking about Optimus Primal or Megatron or anything, just someone with vehicle modes, like, say, Obsidian or Stryka would fit in well in the RPG as disillusioned war veterans.

Fine by me.

Wheeeee. That's one down. :)

I actually just pulled that number out of thin air but after doing some checking it seems like I might have accidentally been accurate. There's the version from Marvel, one from the cartoon (all the ancient Autobot leaders have apparently been retconned into being guys like Sentinel, Zeta, etc...), one from Dreamwave (all we see is his arm, but the description in the books apparently make him distinct from all the others) and one from IDW.

Then there's this guy (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Sentinel_Major), a version of the Animated character in the G1 cartoon universe...in spite of the fact that the above retcon means they already have a Sentinel Prime who's long-dead. Oi.

Wings of Honor is supposed to be an all-new G1 continuity where Scourges look like Sidewayses, IIRC... but it's nice to see that Animated Sentinel is that popular.

Aero Blade
2010-12-24, 06:16 AM
Wow, this thread didn't take long to fill out at all
So, the Decepticons are anti-Religious would be tyrants, zealously pursuing the destruction and death of their enemies

As Warcry said, some would be like that, but the angle I'm looking at has more to do with it being an expression of Megatron's power. The religious relics and monuments are a representation of the old powers, while he is the new power coming to be. What better way would there be for him to express his domination and changes for the future of Cybertron than to wipe out the old ties to the past order.

Warcry
2010-12-24, 07:53 AM
And please please please don't let multiple Megatrons run around. The older RPG had at least three Megatrons prior to the Quintesson war, and I hadn't even read halfway through the history. It's irritating and confusing.
I really don't want to see that either. I'd love to see elements of the non-G1 versions of a character integrated in places (I plan to do that for both Megatron and Soundwave, although not so much for the other characters I'm thinking about playing) but there really shouldn't be five Prowls or Starscreams or Jetfires running around. That's just confusing, and IMO kinda amateurish.

Wreckloose is the komodo, right?
Um...honestly, no clue. I just remember the name because it's cool.

Hmm... what about Beast Wars/Machines characters? Would they be feasible in the reboot? I'm not talking about Optimus Primal or Megatron or anything, just someone with vehicle modes, like, say, Obsidian or Stryka would fit in well in the RPG as disillusioned war veterans.
Don't see what it would hurt. Like I say, the main criteria for me would be whether or not they make sense in the context of the game. Even the beast-mode guys could theoretically fit in...maybe Tarantulas and Black Arachnia are Insecticons, or Rhinox could share a body-type with Headstrong. Maybe Tigatron turns into a USB flash drive like the Device Label toy...there's a million different possibilities but it all hinges on what makes sense for the game.

Wings of Honor is supposed to be an all-new G1 continuity where Scourges look like Sidewayses, IIRC...
And yet it includes Dion and treats stuff like War Dawn as canon. Good old, confusing fanclub comics...

As Warcry said, some would be like that, but the angle I'm looking at has more to do with it being an expression of Megatron's power. The religious relics and monuments are a representation of the old powers, while he is the new power coming to be. What better way would there be for him to express his domination and changes for the future of Cybertron than to wipe out the old ties to the past order.
This is poetic. :up:

Megatron's always been rather fascist, so it makes perfect sense that he'd want to get rid of anything that would prevent his subjects from being fully, completely devoted to the Decepticon cause. Even things that he's otherwise indifferent toward.

Blaster
2010-12-24, 08:25 AM
Megatron's always been rather fascist

Takes one to know one!

As for this thread? Sort of want?

Ackula
2010-12-24, 09:01 AM
I like all the ideas Warcry has more or less, many of them I think we've talked about actually. I would just like to say this as my input to how the new RPG should flow.

The Staff needs to have a rich game world where players can feel as though every action they make does have an actual effect in this world, and not disregard them for the sake of plot advancement. A great GM (Staff) would be one who is able to quickly adapt on the fly to let player's characters actually have cause and effect, and rather than overriding them..go with them and work your story around it. Like a real RPG, and not a community based fan fiction.

GM's (staff) are in effect the "gods" of the game world, but just like real life, even God can't stop free will, but he would have to adjust to the changes made by the characters. In a creative way that can help the story arcs flow, even if they don't go as originally scripted, let the players feel in control just enough to have fun with it, but keep it moving to a definite arc or goal.

Blackjack
2010-12-24, 09:03 AM
I really don't want to see that either. I'd love to see elements of the non-G1 versions of a character integrated in places (I plan to do that for both Megatron and Soundwave, although not so much for the other characters I'm thinking about playing) but there really shouldn't be five Prowls or Starscreams or Jetfires running around. That's just confusing, and IMO kinda amateurish.

Ditto. I mean, I love both the G1 and Movie incarnations for Ironhide and Jetfire and Bumblebee and Starscream, but having both at the same time would be kind of stupid. Incorporating stuff from other continuities, like, say, Ironhide having Animated Ironhide's steel body powers, would make sense, though.

Don't see what it would hurt. Like I say, the main criteria for me would be whether or not they make sense in the context of the game. Even the beast-mode guys could theoretically fit in...maybe Tarantulas and Black Arachnia are Insecticons, or Rhinox could share a body-type with Headstrong. Maybe Tigatron turns into a USB flash drive like the Device Label toy...there's a million different possibilities but it all hinges on what makes sense for the game.

Let's make an Insecticon faction with all the insect-mode Predacons out there!

Ooh, can we have the Beast Wars Predacon? Waspinator and Quickstrike and Inferno? Let's think of a way to introduce them.

And yet it includes Dion and treats stuff like War Dawn as canon. Good old, confusing fanclub comics...

Alternate reality. If Classics took place in the comics continuity-minus-G2-and-UK-stuff, Wings of Honor takes place in the cartoon-minus-several-stuff.

And to think that Shattered Glass was actually awesome...

Megatron's always been rather fascist, so it makes perfect sense that he'd want to get rid of anything that would prevent his subjects from being fully, completely devoted to the Decepticon cause. Even things that he's otherwise indifferent toward.

Which gets me thinking... do we want to include metaphysical stuff like Primus and Unicron and the Fallen and Vector Prime into the mix? Just throwing out ideas here...

Because playing a batshit crazy guy on flame would be awesome. Pity that if we do have Fallen only the staff would be able to play him... Ah well, can't have everything.

Can Sixshot be a doomsday weapon in the new RPG? -hopeful, slightly unhinged look-

Clogs
2010-12-24, 01:16 PM
Dibs on Zeta Prime until he goes down... Aww, c'mon, I do comparative mythology stuff and I'm sure I can formulate enough from that and 'known' Cybertronian religion to make him a real zealot... We could establish both Primus and Unicron for any future use. Let's do time-limited Preface threads to set it all up!

We will have to stick to some guidelines to prevent all and sundry attempting to bring in characters from all those existing G1 alternatives :nonono:

Those slower-than-light ships: yes, I'm sure they would be sleeper ships with mechs in controlled stasis, but I would assume some would be active to monitor/repair the vessels/stasis pods (and ailing mechs), which would mean engineers and medics plus a commander and a few guards. It would follow that any small active crew would get to thinking - on both sides - and would account for any problems with loyalties (I'm thinking Thundercracker, for example). Hm, actually, I confess that I've been working on this kind of premise for the swansong of a story character what optimusskid's wots of. We would not need to show the grinding ages, just write it up at the end of the Preface so people are aware of the potential outcome on some characters.

Cybertron a radioactive wasteland? Yes, I like, but I'm also aware that these are intellegent, adaptive machine and anyone left behind, by choice or otherwise, might be able to survive in some way, possibly beneath the surface. Would be nice and twisted to have Megatron leave Shockwave behind to control the planet for him, which would have repercussions later when ol' Shockers finds the secret of the Spacebridge just at the point the plot device is needed :)

Heh, I'm gonna get slapped...

Blackjack
2010-12-24, 01:41 PM
All the Transformers left on Cybertron become Pretenders, perhaps? A viable excuse...

Agree with Clogs on the Preface thing. We do it for, oh, three months or so (or as long as it takes, doesn't really matter) to wrap up the Zeta and Sentinel plot threads, and then skip forwards to Earth.

Springer85
2010-12-24, 02:25 PM

Personally, I think that we should only allow characters from another continuity that have an original name. Characters like Rhinox, Rattrap, Cheetor are fine, but when you get to a name like Inferno, which one do we pick? Do we go with the G1 one, or the BW one? And what if we go for the BW one, but people want to play the G1 version?

Dibs on Zeta Prime until he goes down

So we get to call dibs on characters now? :p If so I formulated my list of 5 characters already :D
Might be handy to start a tread like that. It could help with formulating the first plot and such?

Also, I think it would be a good idea to introduce the concept of Transformers being possibly created by the Quintessons too. That way you can have religious mechs and non-religious mechs.

miked23
2010-12-24, 04:14 PM
While I am not a terribly huge fan of the idea of using characters from Beast Wars I can see why it might be cool because it just gives so many more character options. If we can think of a way to include him in the story then I call dibs on Depth Charge.

Originally Posted by Warcry
I'd love to see elements of the non-G1 versions of a character integrated in places (I plan to do that for both Megatron and Soundwave, although not so much for the other characters I'm thinking about playing) but there really shouldn't be five Prowls or Starscreams or Jetfires running around. That's just confusing, and IMO kinda amateurish.

I agree with the five different kinds of the same Characters running around. And I think with character's like Starscream or Jetfire they should maybe default to the G1 incarnations considering this takes place in a G1 ish universe.
Also if you’re planning on using non G1 character elements. Please tell me you plan on using Beat Wars Megatron’s mannerisms.

Clogs
2010-12-24, 04:40 PM
Also, I think it would be a good idea to introduce the concept of Transformers being possibly created by the Quintessons too. That way you can have religious mechs and non-religious mechs.

A creation schism for Zeta Prime to be engaged with, perhaps? Although, be fair, the Quints as creators were G2, but, y'know, maybe there are records somewhere and...

I can already see ideas spiralling out of control on this thread. While there are possibilities to explore, I really do think Staff will need to keep a tight rein on the list of available characters, where they come from and their profiles.

Blackjack
2010-12-24, 04:59 PM
Why not do it so both Primus and the Quints had a part in creating the Transformers? Primus created the first batch, and when he went into his slumber the Quints took over Vector Sigma and the production of the Transformers, so reports on the TFs' creation vary on who you ask. This is what they did in the 3H Universe comics, IIRC.

Just throwing an idea here...

I can already see ideas spiralling out of control on this thread. While there are possibilities to explore, I really do think Staff will need to keep a tight rein on the list of available characters, where they come from and their profiles.

This.

Staff will need to strictly regulate the rules for not-exactly-G1 characters, methinks. Otherwise it'll all spiral uncontrollably...

Warcry
2010-12-24, 06:48 PM
Takes one to know one!
COMMIE SCUM! :mad:

Let's make an Insecticon faction with all the insect-mode Predacons out there!

Ooh, can we have the Beast Wars Predacon? Waspinator and Quickstrike and Inferno? Let's think of a way to introduce them.
I don't think this is necessarily something we'd want to do right off the bat, but it's something we could look at doing somewhere down the road. For sure, if we ever end up with a swarm of Insecticons like there was in the G1 cartoon, I'd much rather use existing characters than faceless clones.

Which gets me thinking... do we want to include metaphysical stuff like Primus and Unicron and the Fallen and Vector Prime into the mix?
Certainly not right off the bat, but I know that's the sort of thing that a lot of us would enjoy delving into eventually. I'd see it as epic grand finale fodder, personally.

Can Sixshot be a doomsday weapon in the new RPG? -hopeful, slightly unhinged look-
Be careful what you wish for. If we make Sixshot that powerful he'd end up in the same category as the citybots and be restricted to staff only. ;)

Honestly though, for the sake of gameplay I don't think we should have that much disparity between playable characters. By the same token, if Megatron gets attacked by Bumblebee, Bluestreak and Hound he should know that he was in a fight when it's all said and done even if he beats them -- none of the "important bad guys laugh off everyone's attacks until Prime arrives" that we see in the comics and cartoon.

Dibs on Zeta Prime until he goes down... Aww, c'mon, I do comparative mythology stuff and I'm sure I can formulate enough from that and 'known' Cybertronian religion to make him a real zealot... We could establish both Primus and Unicron for any future use. Let's do time-limited Preface threads to set it all up!
I've heard a few people express interest in laying the groundwork for their religion. Why don't you start a new thread so we can discuss it separately? :)

Those slower-than-light ships: yes, I'm sure they would be sleeper ships with mechs in controlled stasis, but I would assume some would be active to monitor/repair the vessels/stasis pods (and ailing mechs), which would mean engineers and medics plus a commander and a few guards.
I like that idea, although I'd be surprised if all of them were awake all the time. There would probably be a small handful of people awake the whole time, and they'd wake up others as necessary to deal with whatever problems crop up. And of course, those handful of people who were awake would probably be very, very eccentric by the time all is said and done.

Cybertron a radioactive wasteland? Yes, I like, but I'm also aware that these are intellegent, adaptive machine and anyone left behind, by choice or otherwise, might be able to survive in some way, possibly beneath the surface. Would be nice and twisted to have Megatron leave Shockwave behind to control the planet for him, which would have repercussions later when ol' Shockers finds the secret of the Spacebridge just at the point the plot device is needed :)
I could definitely see some survivors, although Cybertron certainly wouldn't be static in the time our characters are gone. Maybe the ones who were left behind and couldn't find shelter ended us as hideous mutants like the ones in Stanix in the comic. Cybertron's surface could have become a zombie apocalypse wasteland, with the bulk of the surviving 'normals' hiding underground even after the radiation has dispersed?

Personally, I think that we should only allow characters from another continuity that have an original name. Characters like Rhinox, Rattrap, Cheetor are fine, but when you get to a name like Inferno, which one do we pick? Do we go with the G1 one, or the BW one? And what if we go for the BW one, but people want to play the G1 version?
I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think we want to set that as a hard and fast rule. With a fairly prominent G1 character like Inferno it makes sense, but what about cases where the non-G1 guy is more recognizable than the original? I wouldn't want to flat-out ban popular, highly-recognizable characters like Movie Blackout and Barricade from play in favour of a couple of Micromasters that no one cares about. Honestly there aren't that many times where the post-G2 incarnation of a character is all that different from the original, so if it ever comes up I'd rather look at it on a case-by-case basis.

The same goes for post-G2 characters in general really. They're all going to need to be evaluated individually whenever someone asks for one to make sure they'll fit in, otherwise things could get out of hand as Clogs and Blackjack have said.

Might be handy to start a tread like that. It could help with formulating the first plot and such?
I'll probably start up a character thread a day or two after Christmas. Just want to see a few more things sorted out first. :)

While I am not a terribly huge fan of the idea of using characters from Beast Wars I can see why it might be cool because it just gives so many more character options. If we can think of a way to include him in the story then I call dibs on Depth Charge.
Depth Charge is awesome, but I'm not sure how you'd work him in without Rampage and I'm not sure how Rampage can exist at the start of the war. If you can figure out a way to fit him in, though, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Also if you’re planning on using non G1 character elements. Please tell me you plan on using Beat Wars Megatron’s mannerisms.
Megatron is going to be an unholy amalgamation of the G1, Beast Wars and Animated versions of the character. :D

miked23
2010-12-24, 07:57 PM

I could definitely see some survivors, although Cybertron certainly wouldn't be static in the time our characters are gone. Maybe the ones who were left behind and couldn't find shelter ended us as hideous mutants like the ones in Stanix in the comic. Cybertron's surface could have become a zombie apocalypse wasteland, with the bulk of the surviving 'normals' hiding underground even after the radiation has dispersed?

Took the words right out of my mouth. I think a transformers styled zombie apocalypse type situation could be really amazing. It would really be a sick change to have the Autobots and Decepticon return to cybertron only to find out that the majority of the population has become zombies/ mutants. I’m sure some good plot lines could be built in around that situation like Autobots trying to cure the infected and Decepticons trying to eradicate them.

Quote:

Depth Charge is awesome, but I'm not sure how you'd work him in without Rampage and I'm not sure how Rampage can exist at the start of the war. If you can figure out a way to fit him in, though, I'd be interested in hearing it.

I know what your saying, truthfully I hadn’t thought that far ahead. And it probably wouldn’t be possible to work him into the RPG at all considering there is already a character in the RPG named Rampage. But I still got dibs all the same. :)

Springer85
2010-12-24, 08:32 PM
A creation schism for Zeta Prime to be engaged with, perhaps? Although, be fair, the Quints as creators were G2, but, y'know, maybe there are records somewhere and...

Well, one of the things of the current RPG I really liked was the vagueness of what the origin of the Transformers was. Were they created by Quints or Primus? I played a little with the when controlling Brawn and Cliffjumper. It's something that I would like to do once in a while, but if the origin of the TF's is going to be set in stone for the new RPG, I'm fine with that too.

And I thought Quints were revealed to be the creators in Season 3? While the comics had Primus?

I'll probably start up a character thread a day or two after Christmas. Just want to see a few more things sorted out first.

Awesome :up: Looking forward to it. :)

tahukanuva
2010-12-24, 08:37 PM

Sorry for the minor off-top, but it wouldn't have to be Rampage, would it? Just someone who'd murdered Depth Charge's men. He wouldn't have to be immortal. Heck, it could be the member of Predaking if we wanted. His motivation matters more than the specifics of his nemesis.

Also, +5 geek if the (hypothetical) person playing Cheetor plays the Armada one.

Warcry
2010-12-24, 10:30 PM
Iím sure some good plot lines could be built in around that situation like Autobots trying to cure the infected and Decepticons trying to eradicate them.
TF: Prime spoiler: Maybe the 'Cons would try to control them, like in the new Prime cartoon? Maybe working Dark Energon into the plot somehow?

Also, +5 geek if the (hypothetical) person playing Cheetor plays the Armada one.
I've actually considered that myself...as Aero Blade can attest I've put quite a bit of thought into the guy, though the stumbling block there is that it's very Armada-centric and not all of it would work well in a G1 universe. Actually I like Predacon the most out of the Armada beasts, and since he's obsessed with using science to improve the Transformer race he'd fit in nicely with some of the ideas we've talked about. :glance:

Blackjack
2010-12-25, 03:04 AM
TF: Prime spoiler: Maybe the 'Cons would try to control them, like in the new Prime cartoon? Maybe working Dark Energon into the plot somehow?

Let us. We already have that WFC vibe, let's go all the way! :)

I've actually considered that myself...as Aero Blade can attest I've put quite a bit of thought into the guy, though the stumbling block there is that it's very Armada-centric and not all of it would work well in a G1 universe.

Which one was Armada Cheetor? I thought he was the one who got brainwashed and became a Horseman of Unicron or something?

Sorry for the minor off-top, but it wouldn't have to be Rampage, would it? Just someone who'd murdered Depth Charge's men. He wouldn't have to be immortal. Heck, it could be the member of Predaking if we wanted. His motivation matters more than the specifics of his nemesis.

SIXSHOOOOOOOOOOT

Or Scorponok. Scorpy looks close enough to Rampage, but Sixshot is closer to Rampage's personality.

And I thought Quints were revealed to be the creators in Season 3? While the comics had Primus?

Cartoon --> Quints (or Vector Sigma. Or Wheeljack. They weren't choosy)
Marvel Comics --> Primus
Dreamwave Comics --> Primus
IDW --> Simon Furman
3H Universe's retcon to the cartoon --> Primus and Quints
Fun Publications retcon to everyone --> Primus

I don't think this is necessarily something we'd want to do right off the bat, but it's something we could look at doing somewhere down the road. For sure, if we ever end up with a swarm of Insecticons like there was in the G1 cartoon, I'd much rather use existing characters than faceless clones.

Certainly not right off the bat, but I know that's the sort of thing that a lot of us would enjoy delving into eventually. I'd see it as epic grand finale fodder, personally.

Of course not right of the bat, for obvious reasons. Just throwing out ideas around... although to be honest I never expected this particular one to be taken seriously... ;)

Still, it would be fun to see.

Be careful what you wish for. If we make Sixshot that powerful he'd end up in the same category as the citybots and be restricted to staff only. ;)

What, you guys don't trust me? :(

Honestly though, for the sake of gameplay I don't think we should have that much disparity between playable characters. By the same token, if Megatron gets attacked by Bumblebee, Bluestreak and Hound he should know that he was in a fight when it's all said and done even if he beats them -- none of the "important bad guys laugh off everyone's attacks until Prime arrives" that we see in the comics and cartoon.

:up:

So far as I can tell, the only ones who can shrug off attacks like that are only Omega Supreme and the Citybots, which are all under staff control (and in the case of Scorpy, no longer one).

I like that idea, although I'd be surprised if all of them were awake all the time. There would probably be a small handful of people awake the whole time, and they'd wake up others as necessary to deal with whatever problems crop up. And of course, those handful of people who were awake would probably be very, very eccentric by the time all is said and done.

Might explain for the craziness of some people, like, say, Tailgate.

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think we want to set that as a hard and fast rule. With a fairly prominent G1 character like Inferno it makes sense, but what about cases where the non-G1 guy is more recognizable than the original? I wouldn't want to flat-out ban popular, highly-recognizable characters like Movie Blackout and Barricade from play in favour of a couple of Micromasters that no one cares about. Honestly there aren't that many times where the post-G2 incarnation of a character is all that different from the original, so if it ever comes up I'd rather look at it on a case-by-case basis.

G1 Barricade was somebody! He appeared in a comic and he got a role in WFC... but yeah, the Movie copper is a more kickass guy. I love all movieverse guys.

G1 Blackout, on the other hand, is a nobody. Movie Blackout... can I have him? (You do realize letting us have the option of post-G2 characters is giving me a big headache on who to pick...

I'll probably start up a character thread a day or two after Christmas. Just want to see a few more things sorted out first. :)

:up:

Megatron is going to be an unholy amalgamation of the G1, Beast Wars and Animated versions of the character. :D

No Movieverse?

Curse you, Canadian scum! :p

miked23
2010-12-25, 05:48 PM
Origninally Posted by Warcry

TF: Prime spoiler: SPOILER! (select to read)
Maybe the 'Cons would try to control them, like in the new Prime cartoon? Maybe working Dark Energon into the plot somehow?

Which ever way works best in the long run, I think as long as itís something that the Autobots and Decepticons can be against each other on, it would work. Maybe we could say that Dark Energon was what caused the remaining population on Cyberton to mutate. It's probably a little early to be thinking this far ahead though.

Originally Posted by tahukanuva

Originally Posted by Blackjack

SIXSHOOOOOOOOOOT

Or Scorponok. Scorpy looks close enough to Rampage, but Sixshot is closer to Rampage's personality.

It looks like it may be easier to get Depth Charge in after all. I agree with tahukanuva as long as we have a character that is able to fill the role of being Depth Charge's nemesis it should work. If Sixshotís character is closer to Rampage from Beast Wars then I would say use him if we don't want to use Rampage. After that it just becomes a matter of having Sixshot do the deed of killing Depth Charge's men.

Blackjack
2010-12-26, 08:38 PM
Which ever way works best in the long run, I think as long as itís something that the Autobots and Decepticons can be against each other on, it would work. Maybe we could say that Dark Energon was what caused the remaining population on Cyberton to mutate. It's probably a little early to be thinking this far ahead though.

I like the idea of Dark Energon playing a larger part. Like some of Unicron's influence were brought to Cybertron by his agents or something like that, slowly corrupting Cybertron, forcing Primus to hide his conscience.

As for the TFs, well... Dark Energon is like a drug, right? Use it and you become powerful but you slowly go crazy and get addicted to it.

It looks like it may be easier to get Depth Charge in after all. I agree with tahukanuva as long as we have a character that is able to fill the role of being Depth Charge's nemesis it should work. If Sixshotís character is closer to Rampage from Beast Wars then I would say use him if we don't want to use Rampage. After that it just becomes a matter of having Sixshot do the deed of killing Depth Charge's men.

Yup. Will need to work a few kinks on Sixshot's origin, though. :up:

Springer85
2010-12-27, 02:17 PM
As for the TFs, well... Dark Energon is like a drug, right? Use it and you become powerful but you slowly go crazy and get addicted to it.

I could work with that, though I think we should wait with introducing Dark Energon. Maybe the unlucky group of mechs [that accidentally land on the planet that becomes Unicron], start drilling the planet for energon and then find Dark Energon.

Come to think of it, when I started out in the RPG, I suggested a storyline where a group of mechs picked up a faint energy signal. Maybe my idea from back then can still be incorperated? :p

Clogs
2010-12-27, 11:39 PM
Let that be a warning: Dark Energon corrupts the Spark!

Zombiefies 'em, doesn't it?

Warcry
2010-12-28, 04:16 PM
Which one was Armada Cheetor? I thought he was the one who got brainwashed and became a Horseman of Unicron or something?
All of the beasts were, I think. I never actually read the Armada comics, except for the MTMTE profile books.

Might explain for the craziness of some people, like, say, Tailgate.
It certainly could. Then again, having your entire planet blown up from underneath you with nothing left but a radioactive wasteland would do the same thing, especially if you were a civilian.

G1 Barricade was somebody! He appeared in a comic and he got a role in WFC... but yeah, the Movie copper is a more kickass guy. I love all movieverse guys.
Oh, poppycock. He had the same personality as every other Micromaster in that dire comic, and the video game version has nothing in common with the original and only exists because of Movieverse name recognition. ;)

Movie Blackout... can I have him?
Not while you're intending to use Obsidian and Sentinel Prime, you can't. :(

No Movieverse?

Curse you, Canadian scum! :p
Since when does Movie Megatron have a personality, miscellaneous foreign devil from a minor Far East country I can't be bothered to remember? ;)

Come to think of it, when I started out in the RPG, I suggested a storyline where a group of mechs picked up a faint energy signal. Maybe my idea from back then can still be incorperated? :p
Could be a possibility one of these days. Maybe there's a vein of Dark Energon on one of the moons in our solar system? And evidence dug up there eventually leads us to the Unicron-world?

Let that be a warning: Dark Energon corrupts the Spark!

Zombiefies 'em, doesn't it?
It'll zombify dead bodies, yeah. If you take it while you're alive you'll become stronger and immune to pain, but grow more aggressive and are filled with drug-induced euphoria. It's also highly addictive and uncontrolled withdrawal will turn you into a slavering, barely sentient beast until you either get more of it or die trying.

Then again a single drop of it is apparently enough to corrupt and convert any normal Energon into Dark Energon, so getting more isn't that hard.

And right now I'm starting to wonder what it would do to non-sentient Earth machines. Or even humans... :glance:

optimusskids
2010-12-28, 08:23 PM
Then again a single drop of it is apparently enough to corrupt and convert any normal Energon into Dark Energon, so getting more isn't that hard.

And right now I'm starting to wonder what it would do to non-sentient Earth machines. Or even humans... :glance:

Maximum Overdrive bwahahahahahahahahaha

Springer85
2010-12-28, 08:58 PM
Could be a possibility one of these days. Maybe there's a vein of Dark Energon on one of the moons in our solar system? And evidence dug up there eventually leads us to the Unicron-world?

I would love to see that happen! :D (Starts plotting :swirly:)

Blackjack
2010-12-28, 09:13 PM
All of the beasts were, I think. I never actually read the Armada comics, except for the MTMTE profile books.

[Re-reads] Terrorsaur, Rhinox, Cheetor and Airazor. Respectively turned into Famine, War, Pestilence and Death.

Both awesome and stupid at the same time in hindsight. Because it makes more sense in context than Hook Line and Sinker, but I refuse to admit Dreamwave is better than Marvel in any way.

It certainly could. Then again, having your entire planet blown up from underneath you with nothing left but a radioactive wasteland would do the same thing, especially if you were a civilian.

Or somebody so utterly fanatical about the preservation Cybertron itself. Like a certain two-rotored floating VehiDecepticon.... ;)

Oh, the possibilities for him is endless...

Oh, poppycock. He had the same personality as every other Micromaster in that dire comic, and the video game version has nothing in common with the original and only exists because of Movieverse name recognition. ;)

That's something, at least.

Barricade had more, actually. He was portrayed as this guy who would win at any cost... but was genericized back into another peace-loving peacenik at the end because all Micromasters not Skystalker must be good like Mini-Cons. Well, as good as ripping heads off Shockwaves and Insecticons would be, anyway. But because it's Dreamwave it's passed off as crap. :(

Ah well, Blackjack had his Marvel appearance, so I don't particularly care.

For what it's worth IMO Micromasters had an interesting setting, and semblance of plot. It had little funny moments. Sure, the art may be the worst, and it's hardly a masterpiece, but it's still better than IDW's ongoing.

Not while you're intending to use Obsidian and Sentinel Prime, you can't. :(

Boo.

On the other hand, those two are much more interesting than Blackout. Obsidian's... well, I don't know, but there is something so interesting about him. His cool design and what little we saw of him in BM had impressed me, while Sentinel is simply a royal Jerkass and a Magnificient Bastard. Blackout has the whole 'Rule of Cool' vibe going on, but otherwise he's a silent Lugnut, yeah?

Am tempted, though...

So does this mean Obsidi and Sentinel are a-go?

Since when does Movie Megatron have a personality, miscellaneous foreign devil from a minor Far East country I can't be bothered to remember? ;)

Movie Megatron is a short-sighted obsessive High Octane Nightmare Fuel and a badass that ground to dust whatever Starscream had worked so hard to maintain in the thousands of years he was gone. He's also an unstoppable force of nature, killing Jazz and batting around Optimus Prime like a toy until the Air Strike and Lennox's soldiers distracted Megatron long enough for him to scramble crazily to the human boy and get himself killed.

Then, after his resurrection, he became this delusional sadistic guy manipulated by the Fallen into doing all his job... while laying the blame on any failures on Starscream. Despite Starscream arguably being a more successful leader than Megatron prior. And Megatron totally had that innuendo-filled torture scene with Sam. 'Oh yes, it feels good to grab your flesh again!' Afterwards he got owned by a Papa Wolf-mode Optimus but killed him with a cheap shot. And he then dispensed with disguises because he's that hardcore. He's basically a monster and he's proud of it.

Then after killing Sam, he got driven off by a bunch of tanks (and maybe Ratchet and Sideswipe). Idiot. At least he wasn't the one to give the retreat order. That's how obsessive he is. (And short-sighted)

Plus, despite Animated Megatron's badassery, he never killed Optimus Prime. And Movie Megatron has TEH DEATH CLAWWWW.

Miscellaneous foreign devil? :o :devil: I am insulted. I am THE miscellaneous foreign devil. The only one devilish enough to attempt play Drift! I is unique, damn it! Minor Far East country? Well, it is that, I'll admit. But I don't think I've told you where I came from. It's part of my mystery, you know... ;)

Why, yes, I'm a little sleep deprived right now, why do you ask?

It'll zombify dead bodies, yeah. If you take it while you're alive you'll become stronger and immune to pain, but grow more aggressive and are filled with drug-induced euphoria. It's also highly addictive and uncontrolled withdrawal will turn you into a slavering, barely sentient beast until you either get more of it or die trying.

Plus, it makes Frank Welker's voice sound less scratchy.

In the game it allows Megatron to magically grow Dark Energon crystals and open doors and corrupt machinery and stuff. But nobody cares about that power when the Autobots actually become a threat. Nooo, they had to send in Trypticon instead of Megatron, y'know, coming down with his super awesome Dark Energon powers.

Springer85
2010-12-28, 09:36 PM
Seeing that it'll be likely that Dark Energon is going to be introduced, I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from picking up Wheeljack :p

Clogs
2010-12-28, 10:35 PM
Ah, yes - and then there's the Smelting Pits. Interesting concept, ducking non-believers and heretics :)

That is: if we're having a Cybertron still united at the start of this RPG prelude? I looooove the Smelting Pits, what with them being so economical even Ratbat could not object (and I bet a lot of Senators wouldn't, for various reasons...).

Blaster
2010-12-28, 11:36 PM
Use my idea, make it happen.

Blackjack
2010-12-29, 04:09 AM
When we get on Earth, will there be prior Transformer contact with the planet? It's something that has been bugging me...

Ah, yes - and then there's the Smelting Pits. Interesting concept, ducking non-believers and heretics :)

That is: if we're having a Cybertron still united at the start of this RPG prelude? I looooove the Smelting Pits, what with them being so economical even Ratbat could not object (and I bet a lot of Senators wouldn't, for various reasons...).

I looove the Smelting Pits. And I love Straxus. I just opened the Generations figure last night, and is he a beaut. His pick-axe is too short, sadly. Gawd, I want to play Straxus. So many characters that I want to play... :(

Ah well. At least everyone feels the same way now.

We could have the Smelting Pits beginning as some sort of recycling center, then later on morbidly taken over by the Decepticons to dispose of corpses to create our beloved NPC drone army. Yeah, that will work.

Warcry
2010-12-29, 06:37 AM
I would love to see that happen! :D (Starts plotting :swirly:)
And even without Dark Energon there's a lot of resources to be exploited out there. Titan has oceans of methane, generators in Jupiter's magnetic fields could pump out huge amounts of electricity, Io is mostly iron just waiting to be mined, etc, etc... So there's lots of excuses for a crew to just "happen by" a place and accidentally discover a vein of the purple stuff...

[Re-reads]Barricade had more, actually. He was portrayed as this guy who would win at any cost... but was genericized back into another peace-loving peacenik at the end because all Micromasters not Skystalker must be good like Mini-Cons. Well, as good as ripping heads off Shockwaves and Insecticons would be, anyway. But because it's Dreamwave it's passed off as crap. :(
I refuse to re-read that tripe to try and prove you wrong, so I concede your point.

while Sentinel is simply a royal Jerkass and a Magnificient Bastard.
He's also destined to die somewhere down the line to make room for Optimus, so eventually you'll have that slot open again... ;)

So does this mean Obsidi and Sentinel are a-go?
It looks that way, yeah.

Movie Megatron is a short-sighted
G1.

obsessive
BW.

High Octane Nightmare Fuel
Stop reading TV Tropes so much. ;)

and a badass that ground to dust whatever Starscream had worked so hard to maintain in the thousands of years he was gone.
Animated.

He's also an unstoppable force of nature, killing Jazz and batting around Optimus Prime like a toy until the Air Strike and Lennox's soldiers distracted Megatron long enough for him to scramble crazily to the human boy and get himself killed.
All three versions really. Once you beat up Predaking...

delusional sadistic guy
G1 comic.

while laying the blame on any failures on Starscream.
Every version ever.

It's not that Movie Megatron isn't fun, it's just that he doesn't bring anything unique to the table.

Miscellaneous foreign devil? :o :devil: I am insulted. I am THE miscellaneous foreign devil. The only one devilish enough to attempt play Drift! I is unique, damn it! Minor Far East country? Well, it is that, I'll admit. But I don't think I've told you where I came from. It's part of my mystery, you know... ;)
Indonesia, isn't it?

Seeing that it'll be likely that Dark Energon is going to be introduced, I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from picking up Wheeljack :p
Wheeljack is always required. ;)

Ratbat
Why did you have to go and say that? Now I'm going to want to play him again. :(

Use my idea, make it happen.
What was that, again?

When we get on Earth, will there be prior Transformer contact with the planet? It's something that has been bugging me...
Hadn't thought about that, personally. What are you pondering?

Gawd, I want to play Straxus. So many characters that I want to play... :(
You'll have to knife-fight Heinrad to the death for him I think.

As long as he talks like Morbo and/or Lrrr I'll be happy. :)

We could have the Smelting Pits beginning as some sort of recycling center, then later on morbidly taken over by the Decepticons to dispose of corpses to create our beloved NPC drone army. Yeah, that will work.
That certainly makes more sense than just killing people because you can.

Of course, later on when they have Dark Energon they'll be able to skip the 'recycling' part entirely...

Blackjack
2010-12-29, 07:36 AM
And even without Dark Energon there's a lot of resources to be exploited out there. Titan has oceans of methane, generators in Jupiter's magnetic fields could pump out huge amounts of electricity, Io is mostly iron just waiting to be mined, etc, etc... So there's lots of excuses for a crew to just "happen by" a place and accidentally discover a vein of the purple stuff...

Not to forget the Sun itself being a general power source to pilfer from... Hell, Unicron's planet mode could be hidden in Mars for all we know.

I refuse to re-read that tripe to try and prove you wrong, so I concede your point.

Can't prove me wrong! Nyeh nyeh nyeh. :p

He's also destined to die somewhere down the line to make room for Optimus, so eventually you'll have that slot open again... ;)

Ah, yes! That's a cheery thought. Sentinel's gonna get his just deserts! :D I'll just have to be patient, then... I could just pircture it... Blackout and Lugnut: professional fanatical destructive bodyguards for hire.

You made me very happy. I can has recreation of the SOCCENT base scene. Just don't any humans shoot Blackout in the crotch, though.

It looks that way, yeah.

-gives Warcry a hug-

G1.

BW.

Animated.

All three versions really. Once you beat up Predaking...

G1 comic.

Every version ever.

See? So basically you'll be playing Movie Megatron. He's a composite of the three, packaged in a spiky chandelier packaging. ;)

Stop reading TV Tropes so much. ;)

IT'S ALL ZIGGY'S FAULT! :o

It's not that Movie Megatron isn't fun, it's just that he doesn't bring anything unique to the table.

Not true. Other than the aforementioned High Octane Nightmare Fuel (he's the only Megatron with a scary face, barring maybe G1 Megatron at the height of his craziness), Megatron brought us a new head design, positively wicked claw arms, that spiked chandelier design, that DEATH KLAWWWW and... and...

Here's new: total servitude to a higher power. And actively trying to revive his people into something greater despite Optimus Prime's short sighted vision of refusing to kill a fleshling in order for their race to survive.

Indonesia, isn't it?

Sneaky Canadian, you checked IP addresses! :o

I is Chinese, though. I know KUNG FUUUUUU!

Why did you have to go and say that? Now I'm going to want to play him again. :(

See? So many that I want to play. Ratbat Straxus Pyro Slog Windcharger Swindle Blurr Dirge Scourge Stockade Fallen Dropshot Jolt Tracks Rotorstorm Thundercracker Snarler Carnivac Bomb-Burst Rampage Inferno Scavenger Mirage Monstructor Ramjet Hot Rod Nightbeat Siren Hardhead Galvatron Octane Sideswipe Nemesis Prime Scalpel Blades Breakdown Hun-Grr Waspinator Blot Shockwave Sludge Getaway Jazz Jetfire Perceptor Wheelie GWAAAAAAAAH

Hadn't thought about that, personally. What are you pondering?

I mean prior Transformers contact on Earth. Kind of like Transformers crashing on Earth prior to our Autobots and Decepticons coming there. Say, like the AllSpark/Megatron/Seekers/other random crap having been on Earth for a long time in the Movieverse. Or Crosswise and the monster Decepticons and freakin' Atlantis in the Cybertron cartoon. Or the Insecticons and other random plot devices in the G1 cartoon. Now obviously we won't use Megatron crashlanding on Earth in the past, but will we have Cybertronians/Cybertronian technology on Earth hidden somewhere?

Personally I liked the idea of ancient Transformers, like, say, ROTF Jetfire or our RPG's Wing Saber being trapped comatose on Earth. Maybe they were stranded on Earth because of whatever Unicron-Primus plot we will have?

You'll have to knife-fight Heinrad to the death for him I think.

Hein's playing STRAXUS?

This is so crazy on so many counts that I can't bear to fight him for it. Besides, if I play Straxus it would be an endless stream of 'Mercy is not dispensed of here, fools! Only death!'

Besides, Heinrad is the guy who made me take Minerva and the freaking Breastforce seriously. The fact that he's playing Straxus alone makes me excited.

Hein, let's see you play Tailgate! Come on!

That certainly makes more sense than just killing people because you can.

Of course, later on when they have Dark Energon they'll be able to skip the 'recycling' part entirely...

ZOM-BEEEEEEES and steroid-addicted goons. Nice combination. You know, we never did see whatever happened to the two guys who got empowered by the Dark Energon in WFC (Barricade and Brawl). Brawl was present in a minor-ish role as ground forces commander, but Barricade was never seen again. ZOM-BEE?

You know, this whole Dark Energon thing could give a great origin for whomever is playing Bomb-Burst.

Damn, no one's thinking of picking up BW Dinobot? You all suck. :o

Springer85
2010-12-29, 10:36 AM

Wheeljack is always required. ;)

Not to forget the Sun itself being a general power source to pilfer from... Hell, Unicron's planet mode could be hidden in Mars for all we know.

That settles it then. Wheeljack is added to my wishlist. Can't wait to have him start exploring all kinds of stuff and tinkering new gadgets! :D

See how clever I avoided calling dibs? :p

Blaster
2010-12-29, 10:50 AM
What was that, again?

You know what? **** you, and **** the fascist horse you rode in on. Also, the one about the old one leading into the new one and me getting to play the best one in the new one.

I DEMAND A LOWER HUMAN HORN! Also, I ALWAYS HATED JIM.

Also, make Springer85 stop playing Brawn... and yourself stop playing Sideswipe. I read two posts of you using him, and you ruined years of playing him. It hurt me... deeply.

Aero Blade
2010-12-29, 02:03 PM
The only one devilish enough to attempt play Drift! Nuh uh, you can't use that for your angle. I would've wanted him but I 2)wasn't sure I was familiar enough with his character to do it right 1)already had mostly Autobots and was attempting to try some sort of balance with my characters (doesn't look that much better for the reset, but I still will try ;) )

Myles, chill, please. This thread is growing quickly and it's easy to lose posts and hard to find them again among all the clutter, a problem I get every time I check in on this planning board. Can you repost it for us to get a fresh viewing on it, or a link back to the original?

Blackjack
2010-12-29, 03:02 PM
Nuh uh, you can't use that for your angle. I would've wanted him but I 2)wasn't sure I was familiar enough with his character to do it right 1)already had mostly Autobots and was attempting to try some sort of balance with my characters (doesn't look that much better for the reset, but I still will try ;) )

Well then, obviously you're as crazy as I am. Don't deny it!

Plus I am the only one crazy enough to do an exhaustive transcript of ROTF. That shtick is solely mine. Although I suspect it has the side effect of making me a level more crazy...

Warcry
2010-12-29, 06:39 PM
See? So basically you'll be playing Movie Megatron. He's a composite of the three, packaged in a spiky chandelier packaging. ;)
You'll just have to wait and see. :glance:

Here's new: total servitude to a higher power.
So the new thing about him is that he sucks?

Personally I liked the idea of ancient Transformers, like, say, ROTF Jetfire or our RPG's Wing Saber being trapped comatose on Earth. Maybe they were stranded on Earth because of whatever Unicron-Primus plot we will have?
Hadn't thought of it but I suppose it could work out. How do you suppose it could tie into the plot though?

You know what? **** you, and **** the fascist horse you rode in on.
Silence, you Bolshevik monster! :mad:

Also, the one about the old one leading into the new one and me getting to play the best one in the new one.
Oh, right. I don't think we've talked about having the old game lead into the new one at all. What exactly was your idea for that again? Something about Prime (or was it the Matrix) remembering the old RPG?

I wasn't sure about that when you first suggested it, but after some thought it occurs to me that this could very well be the universe that we banished Primus and Unicron into. Wouldn't effect the plot really, but it would be a nice touch maybe.

And I do have to insist that Sunstreaker be a psychopath regardless of the circumstances. He's too much fun that way.

I DEMAND A LOWER HUMAN HORN! Also, I ALWAYS HATED JIM.
I'm glad someone knows what I'm going on about.

Also, make Springer85 stop playing Brawn... and yourself stop playing Sideswipe. I read two posts of you using him, and you ruined years of playing him. It hurt me... deeply.
Your tears nourish me! Also, you were warned what would happen if you ever left him unguarded, so it's your own fault.

I don't plan to use him in the new RPG though, so if you're quick enough...

Blaster
2010-12-29, 10:36 PM
I don't plan to use him in the new RPG though, so if you're quick enough...

Lets see where the new RPG moves direction wise and I may just.

Edit- Also, Prime survives WITH the Matrix was my idea and becomes your Zeta Prime.

Springer85
2010-12-29, 11:17 PM
Also, Prime survives WITH the Matrix was my idea and becomes your Zeta Prime.

Not really a big fan of that, but how about JUST the Matrix surviving the old RPG? All that accumilated wisdom just popping up in the new Universe? A new kind of relic that everybody wants? It could be one of the reasons that kickstarts the war. :)

And don't worry, Brawn is just an NPC right now. I'll stop using him as soon as he gets offed, m'kay? :p

Blaster
2010-12-30, 06:21 AM
And don't worry, Brawn is just an NPC right now. I'll stop using him as soon as he gets offed, m'kay? :p

You're not allowed to kill off NPCs without permission.

Warcry
2010-12-30, 06:27 AM
So what I'm hearing is that I need to give him permission to kill off Brawn?

Preferably via shoulder wound?

Blaster
2010-12-30, 08:04 AM
So what I'm hearing is that I need to give him permission to kill off Brawn?

Do it! Doooo it!

Or have a chunk of planet fall on him like I did.

Blackjack
2010-12-30, 09:08 AM
So the new thing about him is that he sucks?

Um...

Boo for me, I cannot prove you wrong on that bit in his ROTF appearance. :(

He looks awesome, though.

Hadn't thought of it but I suppose it could work out. How do you suppose it could tie into the plot though?

Maybe during one of the earlier battle between Primus and Unicron, some of either side's Transformers got thrown out and crash-landed on other planets, Earth among them? Or a more mundane excuseómaybe some sort of ancient exploration team like the one in the Cybertron cartoon or Glyph's in 3H comics?

Depends who wants to play the ancient Transformers, though. Maybe a link to the past during the forgotten days of Primus/Alpha Prime/Prima/Nova Prime/Quintessons? Someone with antiquated alternate modes like, say, the Laser Rods or G2 Ransack?

Personally I would really like to play the Fallen via something like this, but that isn't likely to happen, since he's all powerful and only staffers can play him... :(

Oh, right. I don't think we've talked about having the old game lead into the new one at all. What exactly was your idea for that again? Something about Prime (or was it the Matrix) remembering the old RPG?

I wasn't sure about that when you first suggested it, but after some thought it occurs to me that this could very well be the universe that we banished Primus and Unicron into. Wouldn't effect the plot really, but it would be a nice touch maybe.

I like this, personally. So it's not like we're placing our old RPG completely in the past... :up:

Ah, shoulder wound... the instant death spot for a Transformer. ROTF Devastator died from a shoulder wound too, right? Any strong Transformer can be killed through a shoulder wound.

Springer85
2010-12-30, 12:45 PM
You're not allowed to kill off NPCs without permission.

That's why I said 'as soon as he get's offed' and not 'as soon as I kill him.' ;)

Clogs
2010-12-30, 12:59 PM
Warcry: out of all this stuff, you making a basic plot-sketch for the opening for us all to follow? There's just so many ideas, I believe it is time to set something down, even in jelly, on paper.

Ditto claims/assigning main players (plus NPCs for Staff) and ensuring characterisation.

Blackjack
2010-12-30, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I think we have quite a semblance of a plot, we can start trying to make a bit of an overview around it.

Plus, character dibs -- can we call dibs on it now?

Blaster
2010-12-30, 08:20 PM
Warcry: out of all this stuff, you making a basic plot-sketch for the opening for us all to follow? There's just so many ideas, I believe it is time to set something down, even in jelly, on paper.

No. This takes time and at no point should anything be finalized except for right before the start of the RPG. Keep it fluid till it needs to be solid.

Heinrad
2011-01-02, 03:27 AM
originally posted by Blackjack:
Besides, Heinrad is the guy who made me take Minerva and the freaking Breastforce seriously. The fact that he's playing Straxus alone makes me excited.

You know, I think that's the nicest thing anybody's ever said about me.

Blackjack
2011-01-02, 10:49 PM
You know, I think that's the nicest thing anybody's ever said about me.

But it's true! I mean, Breastforce! Freaking Breastforce that nobody takes seriously! Come on, half the team's names are bad Japanese animal puns (Leozak, Gaihawk, Jalgar), one of their names is completely stupid (Killbison), the rest is unoriginal (Hellbat? I mean, Hellbat? And Drillhorn?). And some of them are pink and purple. And they follow a guy called 'Deathsaurus', who is only rivaled by Dai Atlas in the 'stupidest name ever' competition. And their bras turn into weapons.

But you made them badass. Somehow.

tahukanuva
2011-01-02, 11:00 PM
And they follow a guy called 'Deathsaurus', who is only rivaled by Dai Atlas in the 'stupidest name ever' competition.

Hey! Deathsaurus is a kick ass name and you know it.

(;))

Blackjack
2011-01-02, 11:41 PM
I love Deathsaurus as a character... but his name is stupid no matter how many times you slice it. Other than the fact that he has the word 'Death' on it...

Plus, say it quickly and it becomes Deaths'r'us. Which isn't exactly threatening.

tahukanuva
2011-01-02, 11:46 PM
My dear sir, you and I have very different ideas of "threatening."

Heinrad
2011-01-03, 05:00 AM
But it's true! I mean, Breastforce! Freaking Breastforce that nobody takes seriously! Come on, half the team's names are bad Japanese animal puns (Leozak, Gaihawk, Jalgar), one of their names is completely stupid (Killbison), the rest is unoriginal (Hellbat? I mean, Hellbat? And Drillhorn?). And some of them are pink and purple. And they follow a guy called 'Deathsaurus', who is only rivaled by Dai Atlas in the 'stupidest name ever' competition. And their bras turn into weapons.

But you made them badass. Somehow.

Most of what I do with them comes from Victory. They had some fairly well executed plans in that series, despite the comical sounding names. :D

There's also the fact that I followed something I heard Henry Silva say once about playing the bad guy(and I think he's not the only one that's said it), mainly that the villian is most interesting, most believable when they're serious.

Blackjack
2011-01-03, 06:23 AM
My dear sir, you and I have very different ideas of "threatening."

But of course! :D

Most of what I do with them comes from Victory. They had some fairly well executed plans in that series, despite the comical sounding names. :D

Yeah, but with names like that they could beat the Autobots and still be ridiculed by fans for their stupid name. Still, it sets them apart. Have the Breastforce been released in the US? Other than that ugly BotCon Leozack?

Was Victory the one with Star Saber or Dai Atlas? Can't tell these Japanese shows apart other than Masterforce.

Heinrad
2011-01-04, 07:17 AM
Victory had Star Saber. Story-wise, I think Masterforce is the best developed(although the only versions I've seen of Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory are the Malay dubs).

Breastforce has never gotten a release over here. The closest they've come are the Chinese bootlegs that replace Hellbat with a missile carrier. It'd be nice if Takara would reissue them. Otherwise I'll have to sell a kidney to get a complete set.

Blackjack
2011-01-04, 03:04 PM
Victory had Star Saber. Story-wise, I think Masterforce is the best developed(although the only versions I've seen of Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory are the Malay dubs).

I've seen a Malay dub of a Masterforce episode (it's the one where the Seacon clones attack a city or something), but the dubbing was so horrible and there wasn't any subtitles, so... yeah. It kind of killed of my interest of watching the shows proper.

I mean, I haven't watched RID or Energon yet... Japanese shows aren't that high in my priority.

Breastforce has never gotten a release over here. The closest they've come are the Chinese bootlegs that replace Hellbat with a missile carrier.

Ah, you got to admire the Chinese... they can copy everything you do at a cheaper cost. What was that quote in Armageddon? 'American parts, Russian parts, all made in Taiwan!' or something?

It'd be nice if Takara would reissue them. Otherwise I'll have to sell a kidney to get a complete set.

Agreed.

optimusskids
2011-01-04, 03:38 PM
I can't shake my mental image of Dai Atlas being Welsh

Clogs
2011-01-04, 10:41 PM
I can't shake my mental image of Dai Atlas being Welsh

Agreed, boyo - my first reaction when I read the name :D

Heinrad
2011-01-05, 06:35 AM
I am one of the few who like the Malay dubs, probably. Yes, the naming screwups are interesting(Blurr becomes Wally, Blaster becomes Billy, Minerva becomes Nightbeat, etc), but in a way, they're a lot of fun to watch.

And I've got the first three episodes of Car Robots(what we got as RiD in English) subbed rather than dubbed. To be honest, either the translators screwed up, or the dialogue really was that strange.

miked23
2011-01-13, 02:56 PM
If we are going to be allowing characters from the Beast Wars timeline in the RPG are they going to be the size that they were in the show so human sized or are they going to be really big like the G1 transformers?

Warcry
2011-01-13, 03:08 PM
The easiest thing would be to say that they'd be scaled to whatever they turned into. So someone that turns into a dog might be Micromaster-sized, but the guys that turn into huge animals (like Depth Charge or Hellscream) would be up there in size with the G1 guys. And there's always mass-shifting to add into the equation too, which we haven't talked about yet.

verytired
2011-01-13, 08:27 PM
And there's always mass-shifting to add into the equation too, which we haven't talked about yet.

I won't dig my heals in on this, but i would love it if we could ditch the mass-shifting thing entirely. Mass-shifting, compression: I think they're just pants.

Warcry
2011-01-13, 08:37 PM
That's a call for a new thread if I've ever seen one... (http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=49562)