PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Infestation #1-2

zigzagger
2011-02-02, 04:40 AM
A 2-part, zombie-themed mini that ties into IDW's Infestation event. Written by Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning and art by Nick Roche.

This is your all purpose Transformers: Infestation #1 reaction and discussion thread.

Out February 2.

Preview @ Previews World (http://www.previewsworld.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=23&s=794&ai=105213&ssd=).

Blackjack
2011-02-04, 02:49 PM
Read it.

I like the slight campy, fun feel of the issue. It doesn't try to take itself too seriously like the GI Joe crossovers or the Avengers fiasco. Basically we get clean Nick Roche art, with a sane Galvatron shooting zombies and Autobots thrown in it.

Didn't read the Infestation comic, but it makes enough sense to be understood.

Love the irony of former zombies Galvatron and Cyclonus being chased around by real zombies.

The writers, I never heard of them, but they are great. They referenced the Dead Universe, they remembered the Darkness, they remembered the inhibitors from the ongoing, they remembered Bumblebee was supposed to be boss, and when Kup remembers the whole 'chased by imaginary zombies' thing, as well as dropping that cy-gar, turning him into a raving madman... why, that is absolutely the best display of continuity ever. That scene with Kup is brilliant, made even better by the fact that someone that isn't Nick Roche or a rabid Transformers fan remembers the pre-AHM stories do exist.

Bunch of quibbles, though... why is Kup here on Earth when he's supposed to be watching over Springer? And where is his babysitter Perceptor anyway?

At first I thought Bayonet was going to be your classic, cliched bad fanmade character -- she appeared out of nowhere, she was black, she had a gothy design, she is a girl, she seems to be able to boss Cyclonus and Scourge around (well, she speaks for the trio most of the times), she has a freaky mask thing, she is an utterly loyal Decepticon... basically, Bayonet is Nightbird to Galvatron's Megatron. The surprise reveal at the end, while not wholly unexpected, is, well... I expected a bad fanmade character worse than Drift. Turned out to be a bluff.

Drift! Hope he gets to slice apart the zombies.

Not stupendously amazing like LSOTW, but not terrible, for a crossover. Let's hope Galvatron gets to travel to another dimension and meet Spock, eh?

Red Dave Prime
2011-02-05, 06:02 AM
Will this be released as a full collection with all the relevant issues from all the series? I dont mind buying the 2 TF issues but I'm not sure I can be arsed hunting down the other stuff (star trek etc.)

My forbidden planet is running a week behind the release schedule so I'll probably pick this up next week.

Commander Shockwav
2011-02-06, 03:04 AM
I'm so tired. So very, very tired of subpar storytelling.

If ever you were hoping that perhaps this 'distraction' would help us forget the utter banality of the other TF comics IDW is producing at the moment, think again. It really is possible to sink lower, apparently.

It's a mess, both storywise and visually. I'm a huge fan of Roche as a writer. But as an artist, I'm ready to see him retired. Yes, he's stylistic, but at a time when some sort of gravity needs to be injected into a faltering continuity, the last thing I want to see is yet another panel of Kup's ridiculous chin coming at me and, like a Bay TF film, again I am having a hard time deciphering where one limb begins and the other ends.

In a way, though, that style is poetic. It's unfocused and difficult to decipher, much like the direction IDW has taken the past year or so.
We need focus. Focus! IDW is making a mockery of the Transformers at this point, and in turn, a mockery of the fans who shell out $3.99 a month for this. To think that mixing Zombies and Transformers might help kindle interest was a complete misfire.

I can say without hesitation now, without any pangs of guilt or remorse, that DW was better for the Transformers and for us. IDW, with each passing month, loses much of it's credibility as a comic book company capable of giving the fans the TF comics they want. At least DW gave a little something for everyone, whether it be Mick's ongoing or Simon's War Within Saga.

Having also read Infestation #1, I have little hope in IDW's much anticipated project. At best, it was no better than Marvel's 80th selling regular title, offering nothing at all that was unique or intriguing in the slightest.

Give it a "D". Bored to death.

Neuronutter
2011-02-06, 10:55 PM
I'm so tired. So very, very tired of subpar storytelling.

If ever you were hoping that perhaps this 'distraction' would help us forget the utter banality of the other TF comics IDW is producing at the moment, think again. It really is possible to sink lower, apparently.

It's a mess, both storywise and visually. I'm a huge fan of Roche as a writer. But as an artist, I'm ready to see him retired. Yes, he's stylistic, but at a time when some sort of gravity needs to be injected into a faltering continuity, the last thing I want to see is yet another panel of Kup's ridiculous chin coming at me and, like a Bay TF film, again I am having a hard time deciphering where one limb begins and the other ends.

In a way, though, that style is poetic. It's unfocused and difficult to decipher, much like the direction IDW has taken the past year or so.
We need focus. Focus! IDW is making a mockery of the Transformers at this point, and in turn, a mockery of the fans who shell out $3.99 a month for this. To think that mixing Zombies and Transformers might help kindle interest was a complete misfire.

I can say without hesitation now, without any pangs of guilt or remorse, that DW was better for the Transformers and for us. IDW, with each passing month, loses much of it's credibility as a comic book company capable of giving the fans the TF comics they want. At least DW gave a little something for everyone, whether it be Mick's ongoing or Simon's War Within Saga.

Having also read Infestation #1, I have little hope in IDW's much anticipated project. At best, it was no better than Marvel's 80th selling regular title, offering nothing at all that was unique or intriguing in the slightest.

Give it a "D". Bored to death.

Ouch. Wow, harsh review. Most fans seem to have enjoyed it. You clearly did not. DW were better for fans than IDW? Didn't think I'd ever hear you say that.

I haven't read this yet, as I've given up on singles, but I was looking forward to it. Not so much now.

Commander Shockwav
2011-02-07, 02:18 AM
Don't let my review stop you from possibly enjoying this. There are many fans out there who did.

But it offered me nothing new or exciting, and in fact, had echoes of the TF vs. Avengers crossover.

Again, that was my experience, and may not be yours. Give it a try.

Neuronutter
2011-02-07, 01:28 PM
Don't let my review stop you from possibly enjoying this. There are many fans out there who did.

But it offered me nothing new or exciting, and in fact, had echoes of the TF vs. Avengers crossover.

Again, that was my experience, and may not be yours. Give it a try.

Echoes of TF Avengers crossover? Harsh words indeed! (Man, I hated that f*cking comic!) I'm still gonna give it a go, I was just surprised you disliked it so much, but then each to their own. (and I like the *possibly* enjoying this!)

inflatable dalek
2011-02-07, 09:17 PM
Yes, he's stylistic, but at a time when some sort of gravity needs to be injected into a faltering continuity

I think absolutely the last thing IDW need is attempts at more "gravity". The efforts to be serious and grown up and gritty have all died on their arse. And does anyone pick up a giant robots Vs. zombies comic for the storytelling?

Surprised to see you so down on their output as a whole when you seem to have enjoyed the last few issues of the ongoing.

Mind, over a year on and I haven't regretted stopping picking up the comics one little bit. At the end of the day that's the only protest IDW are going to take any notice of, as far as they're concerned we could all moan to the hills as long as we keep buying every month. A drastic drop in sales will be the only thing that'll make them reconsider (or better yet in terms of putting the lame dog out of its misery cancel), but they seem to be holding steady.

Commander Shockwav
2011-02-07, 10:45 PM
Well, according to ICV2, their numbers continue to drop monthly. We don't have access to their other revenue sources, but I'd be curious to see how IDW defines "steady'.

The last few issues of the ongoing have been a step up, sure, but then, how does one step down from the Malatov cocktail throwing threat that is Spike Witwicky? Costa has done a better job the last few months, but he has a lot to prove to make amends for the past year of issues of languishing on asteroids, hiding in hidely-hole caves, and humans as the masters of Transformers.

Neuronutter
2011-02-07, 11:08 PM
Mind, over a year on and I haven't regretted stopping picking up the comics one little bit. At the end of the day that's the only protest IDW are going to take any notice of, as far as they're concerned we could all moan to the hills as long as we keep buying every month. A drastic drop in sales will be the only thing that'll make them reconsider (or better yet in terms of putting the lame dog out of its misery cancel), but they seem to be holding steady.

I've done the same thing - dropped the singles and not regretted it. I'm buying the trades at the moment, but being very selective, and don't miss the singles at all. I did for a while, mind you, but that passed. Even some of the trades have been regretful. I'm looking at you International Incident!

Neuronutter
2011-02-10, 11:04 PM
OK, after being very disappointed with Infestation I was pleasantly surprised by TF: Infestation 1. Considering the many bad reviews I was expecting this to be worse but I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the plot, I thought Galvatron finding the frozen, zombie mess was fun, as was he. I loved the Kup references, that was the best continuity nod we've had in ages. In fact that was probably the best bit of the issue. Did Roche have a hand in that? I also enjoyed the art, but that's no surprise given the artist.

Now for the bad. Prime came across as a freakin' moron. The 'Bots seem to have no clue of how to react besides take down Galvatron. It's too typical cross over event for my liking. There's all this sh*t going down around them and they continue to take on Galvatron?

Overall I enjoyed it, a lot more than Infestation, though I was glad I had read that issue for the understanding. But I intensely disliked the ending. Poor Kup. Hope he's ok next issue. I'm looking forward to the explanation of his ramblings as I'm guessing they'll be important.

zigzagger
2011-02-16, 06:09 PM
Transformers: Infestation #2 reaction and discussion thread.

Out today.

Preview @ Newsarama (http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=41864).

Terome
2011-02-19, 11:34 AM
Well, I read it. It was okay. Roche looks like he had a lot of fun drawing Galvatron over and over. There was an uneasy mix of evidence of having actually read some of the previous comics and of ignoring them where was convenient. Not that the fabric of the story is worth saving at this point, but it's something to talk about.

Would have been much better without the zombies, I think. They kind of bogged the whole thing down. Same goes for the 'crossover' part. Oh well.

Actually, it's worth noting that the experience-level of the writers really shows - the beats and the action and the cohesion of the story and art elements meshes together so well that you don't even notice it. There was one panel, where Bumblebee is transforming, that didn't scan quite right. I have a slight inkling that it might have been down to overenthusiasm on Roche's part than poor craft from DnA, but of course don't have anything to back that up.

So the Darkness is now the Heart Of Darkness and is a handheld round thing that moves the plot along whenever it needs to in whatever manner is required? Fine. Add it to the pile.

Blackjack
2011-02-19, 12:48 PM
Hmmm... some good, some bad.

The zombies do nothing, and Britt is an uninteresting, bland character. Both Galvatron and Optimus Prime suffer from a bit of character decay as well, since the focus is now on Kup.

Kup, however, is amazing. Bringing forward the so-far-unresolved plot threads from Spotlight Kup and that AHM issue where Prowl rebuilt Kup is great, and Prowl basically killing Kup to destroy the zombies is cold and calculated.

Art was great, although a bit wobbly at times. The second page, in particular.

No Drift slicing his way through zombie hordes. :(

The force field dome is such a riling plot device.

Jhiaxus returns, so does the Darkness, which are actually handled quite well. In a surprising twist we get an origin for the Dead Universe which actually makes sense with what Furman did. That bit alone, giving an origin to the zombie powers of the Dead Universe -- time paradoxes be damned -- is a brave stab.

Although it's a safe bet that in a year or so Kup will be back. Just you wait. People love him too much. If Sunstreaker of all people gets revived...

I actually like the Darkness as a problem-solver like this than the vague dark Matrix we had in the -ions series. BOOOM indeed.

Not particularly good, but an actually enjoyable read. It doesn't get me excited in buying the next Infestation issue or the Galvatron mini, but I enjoyed the two issues we had. A campy episode like something out of Marvel UK done in Animated style.

Will review these two issues plus what ongoing issues I missed once I recover from doing the Movieverse profiles and BM episode guides.

Red Dave Prime
2011-02-21, 08:23 PM
I really enjoyed the 2 infestation issues. Picked them up with the latest ongoing and it was great to read something so hectic and fun. Yes, there are lots of plot problems - the most obvious being when the hell does this occur. But so what. The idea is nicely wacky enough and makes me wish IDW would head down this route more often they do it well enough, The more serious style is beyond them so why bother. And is it just me, or is Galvatron very much like Deaths Head from the marvel years? I could be happy if IDW keep going back to his weird and wonderful rampages through the outer reaches of the galaxy.

The fact I am thinking about looking for the other infestation issues to tie things up a bit says how much I enjoyed it. I can understand anyone saying they didnt like it but it worked for me.

One thing though - who did the cover for the upcoming Heart of Darkness? Its one of the worst drawings of Galvatron I've ever seen! He looks like a chunky sharkticon.

Terome
2011-02-21, 10:06 PM
And is it just me, or is Galvatron very much like Deaths Head from the marvel years? I could be happy if IDW keep going back to his weird and wonderful rampages through the outer reaches of the galaxy.

Hell, I think they should just make Galvatron the main character. He's a very British-comics hero - an embittered hardcase with spooky powers and an obscure moral compass. Put him in any sort of situation and watch him go!

zigzagger
2011-02-22, 05:25 AM
Hell, I think they should just make Galvatron the main character. He's a very British-comics hero - an embittered hardcase with spooky powers and an obscure moral compass. Put him in any sort of situation and watch him go!

I must confess, I am...somewhat curious by this Galvatron mini series IDW has planned (Heart of Darkness). The fellows who put this together will be handling it (Abnett and Lanning).

And yeah, while they're not completely brilliant here - and that could or could not be chalked up to being constrained to by the silly premise of this "event" - I to have agree with Red Dave Prime that this was simple, knockabout fun. It didn't wow me or anything, it was just goofy...in a good sorta way. Certainly a refreshing change from the tedium that is the ongoing. Who knows, maybe I'll give the Galvy mini a read.

Maybe.

Blackjack
2011-02-23, 12:46 PM
Yeah. It's fun and campy, something that IDW hasn't been so far. It's all heavy plotting and stuff.

One thing though - who did the cover for the upcoming Heart of Darkness? Its one of the worst drawings of Galvatron I've ever seen! He looks like a chunky sharkticon.

Milne.

He looks horribly constipated, eh? :sick:

numbat
2011-02-23, 01:19 PM
I enjoyed the Infestation comics too.

I was quite excited with being a Tranformers and zombie fan. At odds with some of the views here, I felt that the zombies were underused, but, then, there were serious limitations imposed by the 2 issue limited nature of the series.

It did leave me thinking about reading the general Infestation comics, but not sold on the other crossovers. So probably won't bother.

Kup was brilliant, and Galvatron was fun - he reminded me a bit of Wario...

Britt was almost pointless, which was a shame. I don't quite understand how she went from being a normal sized vampire person to a giant sized person in a Transformer suit - alternate realities or not. If she became a Transformer for this reality, why did she have a 'human' head under a mask? Don't get it. Maybe this is explained in Infestation 1? Like the Bayonet design though (sans human head

Considering the Galvatron series that leads on from it - if it's as camp as this, it'll be great fun! (I guess that's unlikely though...)

Red Dave Prime
2011-02-26, 12:10 PM
Milne.

He looks horribly constipated, eh?

Really? Man thats terrible stuff. I've not been a fan of milne but I never considered him a bad artist as such, just not to my taste (and to be fair, his stuff in the last ongoing issue was great. Clear, dynamic and not full of gundam designs.)

I'm usually not fussed about the covers of the issues I buy but feck me, if forbidden planet hand me that minger, I'm going to complain.

Neuronutter
2011-04-07, 09:26 PM
I didn't post any thoughts on the second issue the first time I read it, and I've just sat and reread the two TF infestation issues and you know what? I loved them. They're great. Fun, silly and thoroughly enjoyable. I think most of my previous grievances were forgotten the second time, and it's the most fun I've had with a TF comic in a while.

I loved the art, the gloss of it and Roche has a real handle on this. Kup being the centre of the story was also great. It's a shame he was sacrificed, but it worked really well and for anyone who read his spotlight back when it first came out it pays off well.

Considering I wasn't particularly anticipating the event I thoroughly enjoyed it. Campy, silly fun, with good references to the established continuity and things to look forward to in the future. Yay!

inflatable dalek
2012-10-28, 09:28 PM
Well that was harmless fun. No idea what was actually going on (not necessarily the plots fault as it's been a while since I've read Revelation and I have no idea what went on in the rest of Infestation) but it was actually entertainingly silly.

Though if the proper payoff to the Kup/Guzzle plot that ended with the formers death that was at one point planned for Wreckers got shelved because this was in the pipeline I do think that a great shame.