PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Prime Toys Thread.

Rattrap's tail
2011-02-07, 06:40 PM
It was said that TF: Prime wouldn't be tied to a toyline, but this source proves otherwise. This year will be rahter busy for the wallets of many Transfans, now that we got this line next to the upcoming DOTM toyline.

Source:http://www.seibertron.com/news/view.php?id=20757

This link reveals official, from what I can tell, pictures of Arcee.

Summerhayes
2011-02-07, 07:23 PM
About time.
A transformers franchise without a toyline is like a Michael Bay film without an explosion.

Thunderwave
2011-02-07, 08:10 PM
It was said that TF: Prime wouldn't be tied to a toyline, but this source proves otherwise.

iirc that was an early rumor that they officially squashed a few months back.

However it seems they learned something from Animated. Namely don't wait so bloody long after the series starts to produce toys for it if it proves popular. Seems like Prime is going to be a hit with the kids (I know mine is a fan) so toys seem logical. I'll admit I was a little worried about how the toys would look, but after seeing Arcee and Starscream (his jet mode could use some work, but then few jets don't), I'm a fan.

Paul053
2011-02-07, 08:16 PM
And Starscream. (http://www.ugo.com/the-goods/hasbros-2011-transformers-prime-first-edition-action-figures)

Bluecatcinema
2011-02-07, 08:16 PM
Nice. Can't wait for them to get round to Soundwave.

Thunderwave
2011-02-07, 08:17 PM
And Bumblebee: http://comics.ign.com/articles/114/1148173p1.html

...I like him. A lot.

Rattrap's tail
2011-02-07, 08:30 PM
What is typical though is that the figures seem to lack a gimmick of any kind. other then looking spot-on accurate and having the ability to transform, they seem to just have the show-inaccurate weapons as extra plastic bits and nothing else. They also remind me of Animated alot, with all those smooth curves. It's Animated on steroids I dare say, when it comes to the toys...

Thunderwave
2011-02-08, 01:18 AM
Prime, Megatron, and the kids: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48388

Megatron looks like he's playing Peek-a-boo out of the middle of his alt mode. >.>

glazios
2011-02-08, 02:14 PM
Prime, Megatron, and the kids: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48388

Megatron looks like he's playing Peek-a-boo out of the middle of his alt mode. >.>

:lol: Indeed he does. Let us hope that head can be pushed a little further down - last thing a kid needs to notice his Megatron figure is giving him evils in his alt mode from across the room. That's the kinda thing that gives the little tykes nightmares.

Neuronutter
2011-02-08, 07:40 PM
So far I'm very impressed with the look of these toys. I know these are official images, so taken with a pinch, but they look damn nice. Sh*t, between the movie, ongoing Generations and Prime I'm gonna be broke this year. Ah well.

Preda
2011-02-09, 07:52 AM
I'm impressed as well, especially Bumblebee looks awesome. But that Prime? Come on, I hope that's not the only one, it looks horrible...

Neuronutter
2011-02-09, 01:34 PM
I'm impressed as well, especially Bumblebee looks awesome. But that Prime? Come on, I hope that's not the only one, it looks horrible...

Yep. That's the only one that makes me cringe when I look at it. It's freakin' horrible. Shame.

Thunderwave
2011-02-09, 05:28 PM

To be fair it is out of an Entertainment Pack, so it's a meh Prime, Megs, the kids and probably a DVD with some of the episodes on it (probably the miniseries pilot).

There will most likely be a single pack Deluxe Prime and possibly even a Voyager one.

And taking another look at Starscream it looks like his hands aren't fully transformed. I look like they should be able to wing around into a more normal hand position.

Cliffjumper
2011-02-11, 10:18 AM
But that Prime? Come on, I hope that's not the only one, it looks horrible...

Well, considering Hasbro have only issued one Optimus Prime figure for the past dozen or so lines, I'm sure it is the only one.

Loganprime84
2011-09-12, 08:50 PM
there were a few primes for dotm at diff price points.and animated had like 5 or so. so dont give up hope for a better prime.i just wish theyd come out already.first seasons almost over.its just like animated.took forever to get toys for that show.

Knightdramon
2012-01-21, 04:22 PM
Go over to Argos and use their catalogue\system.

Released so far: RID Deluxe Cliffjumper, Bumblebee, Wheeljack and Soundwave.

Voyager Megatron.

And various legends\legion I did not care enough to memorize.

Go on, BUY THEM!

RID - Mainline name for Transformers Prime. :clap:

Cliffjumper
2012-01-21, 04:55 PM
I'm well ****ing pissed over the whole "bring much improved moulds out three months after the first bunch" thing, TBH. Even more ****y than the first film's "we'll bring out the shit ones first, then add some paint apps six months down the line" wank.

Thunderwave
2012-01-21, 05:09 PM
I'm well ****ing pissed over the whole "bring much improved moulds out three months after the first bunch" thing, TBH. Even more ****y than the first film's "we'll bring out the shit ones first, then add some paint apps six months down the line" wank.

The only mold I can see any improvement on, to be honest, is Bumblebee. The Acree and Starscream I've got are pretty damned awesome and I'm not sure what you could do to make them better other then find some way to lessen Arcee's back kibble which, unless you want to make her an Animated Prowl clone, would be hard.

Will I pick up the new Bumblebee? Probably eventually. I paid I think $5 for the one I have now. However he's way down on my list. I'd rather get the Hot Shot, or what ever daft thing they are calling the blue version of him, first. Plus it's not like I have to hurry. They'll be foisting Bumblebee on us for the entire run of the series, even though Arcee seems to be the kid appeal character this time around.

Cliffjumper
2012-01-21, 05:18 PM
Cliffjumper looks much improved, as does Bumblebee... I'm mainly pissed because I've stumped up for the First Editions of both; the name was a bit of a clue that led to me expecting tweaked Premium-style tweaks, which I could believe, but new Deluxe moulds within months?

Bah. At least I get to go and get Wheeljack on Monday, providing scalpers haven't had the lot: - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160720702066 - how many of those do we think are actually going to make it out of the stockroom?

Knightdramon
2012-01-21, 05:26 PM
Not sure about being better moulds. Seeing them in hand, RID Cliffjumper seems much more accurate but just that.

Bumblebee looks like an activator next to his old FE deluxe.

Starscream gets a voyager [not out yet], Arcee is in later waves, probably a new mould. The new vehicon mould is aces, much better than the FE one.

Cliffjumper is stupidly tiny. Around the same size as Classics Bumblebee.

I've come across video reviews for both Soundwave and Cliffjumper, not one showed the transformation. WTF?

Knightdramon
2012-01-21, 11:15 PM
LOL, seriously? (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/530737-does-hasbro-hate-their-american-customers.html)

Damn some people and their sense of self entitlement. Seriously, you'll find EVERYTHING in there. Why Hasbro sucks, why the UK sucks, why America sucks, why Americans suck, why Hasbro hates Americans, how the UK is guilty of receiving Overlord in g1...oh my god.

Saving this, forever.

HASBRO HATES THE US

F*cking morons

Thunderwave
2012-01-22, 12:05 AM
LOL, seriously? (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/530737-does-hasbro-hate-their-american-customers.html)

Damn some people and their sense of self entitlement. Seriously, you'll find EVERYTHING in there. Why Hasbro sucks, why the UK sucks, why America sucks, why Americans suck, why Hasbro hates Americans, how the UK is guilty of receiving Overlord in g1...oh my god.

Saving this, forever.

HASBRO HATES THE US

F*cking morons

I loled. The part that always make me laugh about those posts is the fact that the posters usually can't be assed to use capital letters or even punctuation of any sort most of the time. I know the "internet is not an essay" argument, but if you can't be bothered to even remotely try to use a real language I'm going to assume it's because you're stupid and treat you as such.

Also, the "Buy only 3rd party stuff" argument always makes me assume you've got more money then sense.

Skyquake87
2012-01-22, 12:59 AM
Gee, they're just f**king toys.

anyhoo.. I'm a bit lost with this 'first editions' thing. what's that all about?

also, that ebay link for wheeljack at 46.00 and counting can f**k off. seriously? seems anything with the name 'wheeljack' attached to it is a license to print money.

i had a look in the argos catalogue. not muchly inspired by prime in all honesty. i'm puzzled that a lot of folk whom hated the Animated aesthetic are all over it now that the same design ethos (pretty much) is rendered in CGI. the branding seems a bit off - what's the RiD motif for? surely folk know what to expect from Transformers by now...

numbat
2012-01-22, 11:51 AM
i'm puzzled that a lot of folk whom hated the Animated aesthetic are all over it now that the same design ethos (pretty much) is rendered in CGI. the branding seems a bit off - what's the RiD motif for? surely folk know what to expect from Transformers by now...

Not me. Couldn't stand the Animated aesthetic, and really am not into these guys at all. Still, they're great for their target audience - kids! Which is more than can be said of much of the Movie lines, although DOTM went some way to addressing this with Mechtech and generally simpler toys.

As to the RID thing - the Legion Soundwave I received from the States courtesy of Clay had a sticker on it with the 'Two toys in one - vehicle changes to robot' type thing on it, which I've not seen in the UK for ages. I guess it's still helpful to bring more people in?

Jaynz
2012-01-23, 02:48 PM
anyhoo.. I'm a bit lost with this 'first editions' thing. what's that all about?

Those molds were originally going to be part of the Generations line, with Prime and FoC joining into Classics, basically. There was also going to be longer down time between those figures and Prime getting its own line in entirety.

i had a look in the argos catalogue. not muchly inspired by prime in all honesty. i'm puzzled that a lot of folk whom hated the Animated aesthetic are all over it now that the same design ethos (pretty much) is rendered in CGI.

"Animated Done Right?" I'm not a huge fan of the faces, but I admit the overall aesthetic which blends both Animated and Movieverse together actually does a better job in looks than the two parts of it. Not exactly my favorite look, but I'm much happier with it than I have been with the main line in about a decade now.

the branding seems a bit off - what's the RiD motif for? surely folk know what to expect from Transformers by now...

Trademark. They have to use the motto "Robots In Disguise" regularly or risk losing it to a competitor.

Knightdramon
2012-01-23, 09:32 PM
Having seen VYGR Optimus and Megatron...WTF is happening with this line?

RID Bumblebee looks like DOTM Skids when compared to FE Bumblebee.

RID Cliffjumper is smaller than a pigeon's crap. I mean REALLY small.

RID Wheeljack looks okay but only because there's no previous mould to compare him to. Thankfully he's bigger than Cliffjumper.

RID Prime, while actually having a decent transformation, ends up sub par next to the FE one. Did they just ignore the back kibble? And what's up with that godawful gun?

RID Megatron doesn't look half bad and has a better integrated gun but he's DOTM Megatron height, slightly taller.

DOTM had mechtech guns as big as the figures in some cases, hence the downsizing. What does RID Cliffjumper have?

Man, I love the show and wanted to go apeshit on the line. Now...I'm not sure I want much of it.

Thunderwave
2012-01-23, 09:44 PM
DOTM had mechtech guns as big as the figures in some cases, hence the downsizing. What does RID Cliffjumper have?

Raw awesome styling.

Denyer
2012-01-23, 09:48 PM
Wheeljack looks oddly like Bludgeon, TBH.

Cliffjumper
2012-01-23, 09:55 PM
Man, I love the show and wanted to go apeshit on the line. Now...I'm not sure I want much of it.

You're just trying to stop me from ranting, aren't you?

These are clearing out of Argos stores at incredible rates as far as I can tell, presumably to be sold to impatient Americans for ridiculous rates. So I'm not likely to get Jacky far ahead of anyone else (especially as I probably spent close to a hundred quid on DotM Leadfoot, Que & Soundwave, which is about 3 times retail overall assuming they get this far).

For those who don't know, Argos is a catalogue store with no stock on shelves, and everything's dealt with by assortment - meaning that if you were to make a reservation or online order for a Revealer they could end up with anything from the range. Obviously if you're in store the staff will generally bring one of each type they have in store down from the stockroom for you to pick one, but these are being brought up a case at a time by people who've got the cash to stump up the 150 to order/reserve a dozen at a time - virtually guaranteeing two of each - pick what they want and sell on the rest to make a profit (and thus probably giving enough funds to go again; these'll hold UK retail prices on ebay even after they get to stores with shelves, so it's very low risk). It's basically a scalpers' dream of a system. I wonder if that girl I slept with still works in the one in town?

tl;dr So it's a pretty ****ed-up way for Hasbro to do it even for the UK; give it a week an as many of these will be in American hands as British, and very few of them will be in the hands of kids, which is pretty sad when you think about it.

EDIT: Actually, it's not ****ed up for Hasbro, is it? They've basically guaranteed that Argos will be shifting cases and cases of these guys for a month or two faster than they can stock them.

Knightdramon
2012-01-23, 10:18 PM
It's a pretty shitty way for kids. They can't choose which one they want if the employer is somebody stupid enough not to bother getting them out?

Most of it is sold to impatient Americans, heh, that's an understatement. It amazes me how some people can't wait a MONTH to get the very first wave and prefer to buy it for 5 times the price. It's not an exclusive, it's not a specialty item, it's not an overseas line [eg Japanese Masterpiece]. It's the FIRST wave of the next MAINLINE, meaning it will choke stores for months to come.

STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPID people wish I hard an Argos in my country :wave:

Cliffjumper
2012-01-23, 10:37 PM
In sort-of mitigation of Argos, to be fair their shopping system is set up for household goods like furniture and electronics, where it works respectably as DVD players and coffee tables don't ship in assortments. It is worth considering, though, that it's probably the biggest non-supermarket toy seller in the UK in terms of number of branches. Plus a lot of the time the staff will, upon asked to be shown everything in an assortment, probably just grab the first two out of the box rather than make a genuine attempt to show the whole range. Argos stock room workers are a bit of a joke in the country - typically being the people too low on social skills to be even trusted with standing behind a till without screwing up.

TF-wise I've only used them recently for single-figure 'assortments' like Alt Wheeljack, MP Skywarp or ROTF Legends Devastator. Though they are one of the few places in the country that actually reduces TFs when a line ends.

I'm gobsmacked at the prices these things are going for - half a dozen have sold for over 40 already on ebay. I can't exactly talk with my DOTM practices, though in my defence Que and Soundwave weren't significantly more than UK retail and I'm still skeptical that Leadfoot is going to reach Western retail (and therefore would rather pay 60 for one now rather than God knows what down the line), but it seems insane that that many are going - that's got to be, what, 5 times US retail price (before shipping, which'd probably take it to 6 times) for figures which are outright guaranteed a wide US release, probably in a matter of weeks?

Skyquake87
2012-01-23, 10:50 PM
fools and their money and all that...

a couple of bids on voyager prime and megs have ended at well over the 100 mark. bloody hell. i can't believe people are so impaitent. jesus, they're just toys... mind you, having had a read through that link to TFW that was posted, I'm not suprised. Bunch of American cry babies. It's not often (i.e. ever) we get Transformers stuff before the rest of the world. I wonder if UK fans get just as ridiculous over getting the latest batch of whatever..?

Sigh.

Anyway, last time I got Transformers from Argos they confused me by having all their available stock on display in the store! (it was a couple of DOTM HA Basics, since sold on, in case you were wondering.now there's a review in itself!actually, they were pretty good, but I was so underwhelmed with the entire DOTM line that I got shot of all my DOTM toys as they looked rubbish next to by HFTD & NEST figures)

Having had a proper sniff around the Prime stuff, I think all I'd like is Arcee and a few Vehicons for her to tear through. Might wait and see if Argos put them in one of their 2 for 15 deals down the line. Or they're cheaper at some tax dodging supermarket chain...

Thunderwave
2012-01-23, 11:05 PM
Most of it is sold to impatient Americans, heh, that's an understatement. It amazes me how some people can't wait a MONTH to get the very first wave and prefer to buy it for 5 times the price. It's not an exclusive, it's not a specialty item, it's not an overseas line [eg Japanese Masterpiece]. It's the FIRST wave of the next MAINLINE, meaning it will choke stores for months to come.

This. This confuses the living shit out of me. Are there like clubs of TF fans out there that get together every so often to compare collections? Is there like dick-waiving going on where you get bragging points the sooner you get figures?

Denyer
2012-01-24, 12:26 AM
dick-waiving
Appropriate typo, that. Definitely some kind of compensating/substitution going on...

zigzagger
2012-01-24, 12:38 AM
Is there like dick-waiving going on where you get bragging points the sooner you get figures??

That's pretty much what a lot of the more "popular" American Transformers reviewers on youtube do.

numbat
2012-01-24, 09:18 AM
Well, as ever, if anyone's after any of these guys in a mental rush over the pond here (for themselves! not resale), let me know and if I swing past an Argos anytime soon I'll see if they have them and post on at cost. None of this sell fo 40 quid crap.

Thunderwave
2012-01-26, 06:47 AM
And now RiD is out in the US. The first ones for sale have started showing up in stores in California.

So I'll looking at a month, maybe two for them to get here. XD

Cliffjumper
2012-01-26, 03:18 PM
And now RiD is out in the US. The first ones for sale have started showing up in stores in California.

Which means anyone lucky enough to be down that way is going to get one in-hand a week or so ahead of non-British buyers who've spend six times retail to get them "first".

Sometimes the world just works perfectly, doesn't it?

praetorian
2012-01-26, 05:42 PM
They're out at US retail!

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-prime-39/confirmed-transformers-prime-toys-at-us-retail-174229/

Deluxes are now called "Revealers"; Voyagers are now called "Powerizers"

Thunderwave
2012-01-26, 07:55 PM
BBTS listed some new Takara toys for preorder, including a Voyager Breakdown.

Seems that with that, and Voyager Skyquake, my hopes for the line are coming true for the most part.

Thunderwave
2012-01-26, 07:57 PM
Sometimes the world just works perfectly, doesn't it?

Indeed.

Of course, that's also assuming the package doesn't get caught in customs or anything. If that's the case, they might get in a month or two after other people in their area have one.

Skyquake87
2012-01-26, 08:13 PM
Must say, I do like the packaging artwork. I like it when a bit of effort is but in. Like with the PCCs and their big bits of character art. Smashing. and all the Yellow box toys from 2010 too.

zigzagger
2012-01-26, 09:40 PM
Just curious, but would anyone object to merging this thread with the similar Prime thread in the news forum? Or just leave it be?

Cliffjumper
2012-01-26, 10:03 PM
Of course, that's also assuming the package doesn't get caught in customs or anything. If that's the case, they might get in a month or two after other people in their area have one.

Or a surcharge if it's not marked as a gift and has the value declared properly (assuming the law's the same going both ways).

I like Hasbro a little bit more than I did yesterday just for this. As an added bonus, hopefully people will now stop scalping my local Argos for stock now and I can actually get the bloody figures.

numbat
2012-01-26, 10:52 PM
Yay!

All is well with the world again.

(Well...)

:)

zigzagger
2012-01-27, 05:42 AM
Review of Ratchet @ Ben's World of Transformers (http://bwtf.com/toyreviews/prime/ratchet). As far as I know, he hadn't been revealed up until now.

Not sure how I feel about it. It looks better at some angles than others.

Knightdramon
2012-01-27, 09:16 AM
Yup, that's an all new figure reveal.

Lack of any comparison pics is disappointing, this guy could be tiny. Furthermore, there's A LOT of paint missing at least in vehicle mode. I'm waiting to see if takara does anything better with the mould.

Notabot
2012-01-27, 04:11 PM
For those of you in Europe, is it much more expensive to import the Takara ones than it would be to import Hasbro from America? I know it doesn't really apply to these since they're available in Europe directly, but for those that aren't, how do the prices compare between US Hasbro and Japan Takara?

Knightdramon
2012-01-27, 07:45 PM
For those of you in Europe, is it much more expensive to import the Takara ones than it would be to import Hasbro from America? I know it doesn't really apply to these since they're available in Europe directly, but for those that aren't, how do the prices compare between US Hasbro and Japan Takara?

Japanese Takara is like buying the European figure [with a few euros up in price] and paying shipping.

While it's not an issue for United releases, or Henkei figures back in the day, it's a slap in the face because it's the exact same figure we get anyway.

Importing Hasbro from America is usually cheaper, sometimes even cheaper to buy and ship a whole wave from the US to Europe. It's DEFINITELY cheaper shipped loose and first class.

Knightdramon
2012-01-28, 10:46 AM
Apparently the FE line has been canceled by Hasbro. To logically make room for the RID line.

And people over at other forums start writing mass e-mails to hasbro's customer service [which, for all we know, is a computer with word-scanning properties that then sorts through an automated response depending on the words of the mail] to release them.

:lol:

Cliffjumper
2012-01-30, 12:06 PM
I know what Zig means about Ratchet... It's difficult to put my finger on, but he just doesn't seem to carry the... weight... of the CGI model. There's something off about FE Optimus as well.

zigzagger
2012-02-03, 08:11 PM
Knock-Out revealed @ Transformers' facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=266575716745963&set=a.153259298077606.36631.146805978722938&type=1&theater).

Skyquake87
2012-02-03, 10:14 PM
oh...Knock Out looks like a strong breeze would take him out. He looks like Origami :(

Notabot
2012-02-07, 04:49 PM
So, just so I'm clear on this (and sorry if this has been clearly covered elsewhere and I missed it), are the First Edition molds for Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Arcee, and Starscream totally different from the regular-line molds? Is there any hint that those molds will be used again later, or did Hasbro just design molds, do half a run, then quit on them?

Jaynz
2012-02-07, 04:52 PM
So, just so I'm clear on this (and sorry if this has been clearly covered elsewhere and I missed it), are the First Edition molds for Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Arcee, and Starscream totally different from the regular-line molds? Is there any hint that those molds will be used again later, or did Hasbro just design molds, do half a run, then quit on them?

Normally I would say that the FE molds would definately come back as exclusives or redecos, but this is complicated heavily by having superior versions of the molds released in such short order. Why would Hasbro rerelease FE Bumblebee when they got Prime Bumblebee on the shelf already?

Cliffjumper
2012-02-08, 02:56 PM
Knock-Out revealed @ Transformers' facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=266575716745963&set=a.153259298077606.36631.146805978722938&type=1&theater).

Eh... same sort of "not quite" vibe as Ratchet, isn't there? Got to be honest, over the past couple of years I've been getting more and more fed up with good engineering being ****ed up by lazy shit like crap plastic, minimal paint applications and so on. The FE toys I have seem to have reversed this trend a bit, but most of the RiD pictures I've seen seem to be sliding back to the same rubbish we've had since about 2008. ****ing lazy Chinese kids.

Warcry
2012-02-11, 11:33 PM
The First Edition toys were designed to be a part of the Generations line originally, don't forget, so they were probably meant to be a bit more collector-focused than the newer Prime stuff (which, sadly, seems to be carrying on the tradition of DOTM with smaller toys, giant weapons and simpler engineering). That's probably why they're...well, pretty much universally better than any of their main-line counterparts. The designers were seemingly trying to make detailed, accurate poseable figures that I'd love, and not a chunky, gimmicky toy that my nephew would love. The main-line seems to go way off in the other direction.

They showed some Prime stuff at ToyFair (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-prime-39/toy-fair-2012-transformers-prime-images-174367/), but I don't think there's much here that hasn't been seen before. That Bulkhead is new, but like every other Prime toy it's seriously inferior to the First Edition version.

Tramp
2012-02-12, 01:04 AM
The First Edition toys were designed to be a part of the Generations line originally, don't forget, so they were probably meant to be a bit more collector-focused than the newer Prime stuff (which, sadly, seems to be carrying on the tradition of DOTM with smaller toys, giant weapons and simpler engineering). That's probably why they're...well, pretty much universally better than any of their main-line counterparts. The designers were seemingly trying to make detailed, accurate poseable figures that I'd love, and not a chunky, gimmicky toy that my nephew would love. The main-line seems to go way off in the other direction.

They showed some Prime stuff at ToyFair (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-prime-39/toy-fair-2012-transformers-prime-images-174367/), but I don't think there's much here that hasn't been seen before. That Bulkhead is new, but like every other Prime toy it's seriously inferior to the First Edition version.
While I agree on Bulkhead, Cliffjumper, and Bumblebee being inferior to their FE versions, I actually think that the Arcee is better than her FE counterpart, and far more accurate in appearance, at least from the pics from Toyfare. Her bike mode is slimmer, and sleeker, and her humanoid mode is more accurate, and more feminine looking. The only thing I'm not fond of on her is the huge weapons.

Rack 'n Ruin
2012-02-16, 07:23 PM
Not sure if this is old hat or not, but I've just spotted Prime RiD Wave 1 Deluxes (Revealers, whatever...) in my local Sainsbury's. Three Bumblebees, two Wheeljacks and one each of Cliffjumper & Soundwave for 12.99 each. Seems they have reached the UK supermarkets now. Will the FOC toys be hot on their heels?

I have to agree with posts above praising the RiD packaging. It does look lovely. I like the fact that each figure has the wave number and it's number within the wave on the back of the card now (Bee 01/001, CJ 01/002, etc.). Don't know why. Guess I'm just a nerd for numbers...

Cliffjumper
2012-02-16, 07:59 PM
Toy Robots + Serial Numbers = Geekgasm. It's simple science.

Excellent news that they're in Sainsburys - I was afraid they'd be an Argos exclusive; didn't fancy trying to pick up the whole line that way

inflatable dalek
2012-02-16, 08:30 PM
Excellent, I will have to pop down to Sainsbury's tomorrow then. If only to guarentee my much sought for Wheeljack (I'll stop going on about it when I get one) then turns up at work for half the price.

Skyquake87
2012-02-17, 08:31 AM
Before you tootle off to Sainsbury's 'making life taste better' , Asda have the Prime deluxes for 10.97.

I bought Wheeljack, having thought Cliffjumper actually looks like a chinese person sneezing and I've no interest in Bumblebee. i saw Soundwave and Starscream and one of the airborne drones, but passed them over. They look very fragile.

Wheeljack was an impulse purchase, as around the 10 is a good price for a newly released deluxe over here these days and I did want to see what the line is really like.

The vehicle mode is excellent. There are join lines (mainly on the windscreen), but overall they are exceptionally well hidden on Jacky because his vehicle mode has loads of etched panels and details all over the bodywork. It's a good size, with freely moving wheels and you can attach the swords to the front bumper for a silly looking attack mode and they will also attach to the holes above the rear wheels. paint is pretty minimal, just the red and green flashes of the G1 flavoured racing stripes and painted rear lamps. However, the wheels are coloured silver, so hooray for that.

The transformation is pretty complex for a deluxe, but very cleverly done. Younger kids will find it a struggle though. Parts shift about and rotate around from an unravelled vehicle, clever stuff.

Robot mode is very nice indeed. Very crisp looking, with blacks, greys and silvers breaking up all the white. The light piping is redundant as the clear black plastic is too opaque. As with RTS Wreck Gar, the shoulders/ neck have Sandi Tosvig like proportions. The arms are quite long too. Great articulation in the hips, knees and ankles as well as the neck, shoulders elbows and wrists. No movement at the waist though. The wings are a nice touch and the two katanna-type swords are pretty cool...and are etched with those Cyberglyphs. Undocumented in the intstructions, the swords can also tuck behind his head in a He-Man stylee.

Size-wise, he's about 6" tall, so on a par with Beast Wars and Robots In Disguise Deluxes, so a nice size but probably a bit slender compared to his more muscular animation model. He really pops in the flesh and is an impressive little guy. Overall, very impressed for a line that I didn't have much interest in and an impressive leap forward in realising the Animated asethetic on which Prime heavily borrows , with (on this evidence) none of the attendant QC flaws and those stupid half enclosed balljoints.

Skyquake87
2012-02-22, 09:50 PM
As I don't know how long Asda will be selling the deluxes for a tenner and they seem to be flying off the shelves, i bought three more...

Soundwave. he is fantastic. Exceeded all expectations and really solid for something so slender and fragile looking.

Cliffjumper is alright, but his arms are a bit weird. The folded up doors for forearms aren't so great, and I'm still not sure about his weird facial expression. Vehicle mode is excellent though and he comes with a cool weapon.

Bumblebee is rubbish. Really disappointing. Its the wretched Automorph gimmick that's the main culprit, the arms feel like they need to properly clip to the side of the car rather than being held at a slightly awkward angle. The head sitting on that huge paddle of plastic looks awful and makes his shoulders and chest seem too low down, plus because of the tension on the spring and the automorph, the paddle wont sit flush to the bonnet like it's supposed to. Then there's the rather cheap plastic used that looks like it'll develop stress fractures over time and the poor job done with the paint matching. There's also my pet hate- the ultimate cardinal sin - boring black plastic wheels. The vehicle mode, whilst a good shape, doesn't look as good at the onscreen model and oddly, part of that seems to be the inappropriately whispy black racing stipes. A boxy vehicle mode like this needs strong looking striaght blocks of racing stripes running in a striaght lineor at right angles - these ones going off at angles and tapering away don't look right.

Been having a look on ebay and saw a really nice looking legions class arcee figure :) - unusually for this size class. Post Micromasters, I've found all Transformers in this size to be horrible little cracker toys.

Rookwise
2012-02-22, 10:43 PM
I've got all the Prime cyberverse apart from bulkhead,Soundwave and vehicle. Arcee is the worst of the bunch imo. Poor robot mode that the back falls apart easily and bike mode doesn't go together very well at all. Head sculptures is nice though.

Cliffjumper
2012-04-01, 07:10 PM
Among the Cyberverse figures coming up in Prime seems to be:

http://www.transformersclub.com/toyfair12/webfiles/DSC_0023.JPG.800.jpg

Bloody Dino. w00t, bring on the Machine Wars Deluxivator! I'm guessing this is okay to post, that **** on the Wiki put it on a public page.

Downside is my plans to sell Que are now on hold. Bastards.

inflatable dalek
2012-04-01, 07:44 PM
Shame he isn't called Dino on package to end that argument.

Rookwise
2012-04-01, 07:45 PM
Its basically rotf sideways in red. There's a black dotm Soundwave coming as well in the same wave. Those two along with Evac. Aren't part of the tf prime line. If you look at the packaging under the tf logo. It doesn't say Prime. These are another part of the cyberverse line.

Rookwise
2012-04-01, 07:59 PM
Vehicon platoon :-P

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4uDyJheVwns/T3ixccerV_I/AAAAAAAABBo/J-sMWTXUsPM/s400/20120328_161045.jpg?dc=gorganic&source=mobileproducts

Skyquake87
2012-04-02, 10:58 AM
Heh heh that looks awesome. I just stuck with three :) i really like the legion vehicon.its a good figure overall.vehicle mode is a bit weird and i'm not keen on the grey wheels but other than that its a winner.

Jaynz
2012-04-02, 08:16 PM
Heh heh that looks awesome. I just stuck with three :) i really like the legion vehicon.its a good figure overall.vehicle mode is a bit weird and i'm not keen on the grey wheels but other than that its a winner.

I got five of the Vehicon Cyberverse myself, but I think that may be the limit. Cyberverse is pretty much down to a couple of leftover Dark of the Moon figs (Skids, Mudlap, Prime, Bumblebee) and... Prime Bumblebee with a smattering of Cliffjumper. Fortunately I'm currently 'complete', but it does worry me that I'll AGAIN miss a wave or two due to so much Bumblebee around clogging shelves.

Seriously, Hasbro.. just... stop.

Hasbro
2012-04-02, 11:14 PM
WE WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE MULTIMILLION DOLLAR GLOBAL CORPORATION OF TFVANGUARD FOR ITS VALUABLE ADVICE AND WE WILL STOP MAKING BUMBLEBEES IMMEDIATELY.

EDIT: WE JUST NOTICED THAT OUR STOCK IS WORTH SIGNIFICANTLY MORE THAN YOU, SO WE WILL CONTINUE WITH OUR SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS PLAN, BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTION.

Jaynz
2012-04-02, 11:18 PM
Wow, it's like I'm back at the Allspark.

tahukanuva
2012-04-03, 06:24 AM
Well you know, Vanguard, large toy companies never make any mistakes like Mattel running DC into the ground. Three times.

I mean, the Bumblebees are selling, but not nearly as much as their case assortments anticipated. The Prime toyline's off to a great start and I'd hate to see it die early 'cause of too many 'Bees.

EDIT: To support Mr. Vanguard's view... (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/573910-hasbro-doing-again.html#post7522249)

Skyquake87
2012-04-03, 09:02 AM
I'd join in the general dismay...but in the UK we're lucky if we get anything beyond wave 2 anyway...

I'm sure Bumblebee is a bankable character, but he seems to be packed in with every wave of Prime deluxes currently scheduled to come to market (was sniffing around BBTS out of boredom the other day) , which through adult eyes does seem a bit excessive, but looking around the toy shelves Prime is practically non-existent as a line over here. Since the initial launch in Feb/ Mar the toys have all been snapped up, so these multiple 'bees are clearly a hit with kids.

It does look silly in larger stores whom have more shelf space though, as the case assortments are 'bee heavy which does result in silly pictures like in the TFW thread.

Frankly, with all the Transformers toys that have been swilling around since 2007 and the launch of the movie line, its been surprising to not see more of the more common toys shuffled off to discount shops. Our ex-catalogue/ discount shops over here have had ROTF Voyagers and Leader Class figures, and lines that shipped too late and missed their window of opportunity (wave 4 HFTD deluxes, PCC Combiners, Animated Voyagers). Whilst I would have expected to see the scores of Skids, Mudflap and Ratchet toys in clearance shops, its been surprising to see that they've all been snapped up at geenral retail with just ROTF deluxe 'bee and Cannon 'Bee (admittedly a rubbish figure anyway) turning up in clearance.

All of which does show that however daft it looks to us, Hasbro know their consumer base very well indeed.

EDIT : i am actually quite pleased that Transformers hasn't ended up the way of mattel's he-man line , being a line of expensive short run figures. i like that product is widely available, affordable and caters to a wide range of tastes and budgets. that's actually a really cool thing, and i wish some of the cry babies on the tfw would open their eyes and realise that.

Jaynz
2012-04-03, 12:44 PM
No one ever said "They should never make another Bumblebee", but putting them longpacked in every assortment, while you have no less than three movie Bumblebees still on shelves... it's excessive. Yes, some of them are selling and he's a popular character, but it's clear that (at least in some places), Bumblebee is already pretty damn saturated, and the Prime character model isn't far enough removed from the movie model to make a difference.

And, apparently, wave 4 will get us another Bumblebee, a black with yellow deco, which looks an awful lot like one of the bigger Bumblebee movie warmers. At least we're getting a more inspired 'Hot Shot' deco of the physical toy before that.