PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Chaos / Vol. 7 TPB

Paul053
2011-08-17, 01:48 PM
The Transformers: Volume 7: Chaos TPB will contain Ongoing issues #24, #26, #28, #30, #31.

Description @ Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-7-Chaos-Mike-Costa/dp/1613771401/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b).

- ziggy

-----

This is your all purpose Transformers #24 reaction and discussion thread.

- ziggy

-----

5 page preview (http://issuu.com/idwpublishing/docs/transformers_ongoing_24_preview?viewMode=magazine) up @ issuu.com

Brimstone
2011-08-17, 02:28 PM
Wow...not digging that art style at all....

Red Dave Prime
2011-08-19, 08:34 AM
I kinda like it and kinda dont. Some parts work well. The main scenes are a bit confusing to read though. I'm a bit worried about the huge splash panels effect again. I mean, once again the first page is one panel for no real effect or reason.

Got that sinking feeling...

Cliffjumper
2011-08-19, 10:45 AM
That looks fantastic. But then so did Simon Shits Himself And Panics: Sideswipe, so there we go.

Blackjack
2011-08-19, 10:49 AM
That looks fantastic. But then so did Simon Shits Himself And Panics: Sideswipe, so there we go.

^

What he said. Too much I've seen IDW look promising and then shitting all over themselves. Used to be there's hope for a great story arc. Now it's hope for a decent non-shit conclusion.

Also, I've read Heart of Darkness. I know who the enemy is, and it's the worst enemy in Transformers fiction that I've ever seen, even including Circuit Breaker, Unicron, the Neo-Knights, the Insecticon Swarm, Mecannibals, RAAT, Rock Lords and Richard Branson.

Red Dave Prime
2011-08-19, 11:42 AM
Worst name too. D-void. Hmm. Sounds like a fecking rapper. And a bad one at that.

Blackjack
2011-08-19, 03:20 PM
It's a lame attempt at a pun. A very very lame one. The writers thought they could pull something feasible like Jhiaxus, but frankly, D-Void is a terrible name.

Terrible design (the monster Nemesis mutant looked like it was designed by a three year old), terrible backstory, vague godly powers, lack of characterisation... you know, I miss the Dead Furmanverse.

I like it when stealth puns are like, say, Ramjet. Ramjet is a kind of engine, as well as describing a jet that rams jets.

inflatable dalek
2011-08-19, 04:02 PM
My, I'm looking forward to the first ever IDW ongoing when it starts with the mighty Roberts at the helm next year.

zigzagger
2011-08-20, 02:23 AM
Aw...that kind of bums me out, honestly.

Kimia had been the site where all sorts of interesting stuff happened (LSOTW, Bullets in particular, and Roche's story in AHM #15). Now it's trashed. So much potential....

StarscreamX
2011-08-23, 02:01 PM
^

What he said. Too much I've seen IDW look promising and then shitting all over themselves. Used to be there's hope for a great story arc. Now it's hope for a decent non-shit conclusion.

Also, I've read Heart of Darkness. I know who the enemy is, and it's the worst enemy in Transformers fiction that I've ever seen, even including Circuit Breaker, Unicron, the Neo-Knights, the Insecticon Swarm, Mecannibals, RAAT, Rock Lords and Richard Branson.

From reading the solicits it sounds like MAYBE there going to ignore all that D-Void bollocks and that the villain is going to be Galvatron and something called "The Deceptigod". Which is also a bloody stupid name but hopefully he/she/it will be marginally more interesting than D-Void

And I'm glad to see Galvatron being a proper villain again in this story. And it looks like Cyclonus isn't the easily defeated prat he was in Heart of Darkness either.

It's both funny and sad that Galvatron and Cyclonus manage to be more menacing and impressive in about three pages of this preview for this issue than they were for the entirety of the Heart of Darkness miniseries

Red Dave Prime
2011-08-23, 04:47 PM
We're just ignoring heart of darkness now aren't we? Please?

StarscreamX
2011-08-23, 07:12 PM
We're just ignoring heart of darkness now aren't we? Please?

I'd like to ignore it ever happened

I'm hoping it turns out that Galvatron is just a nutter and D-Void was all in his head

StarscreamX
2011-08-24, 05:07 PM
Well, it wasn't AS good as the issues that Roberts wrote by himself but then I think we all knew it wouldn't be. But on the bright side: It doesn't suck. And I'm betting that's because Roberts is co-writing this story with Costa

Galvatron is impressively sinister here, as is Cyclonus. None of that "Great Primus! She's so fast!" or "Great Heart of Darkness!" nonsense they were yelling in Heart of Darkness. Instead he's calm but menacing and obviously utterly bonkers viewing himself as above all the others and expecting everyone to either follow his every command or accept that their going to die. Which fits in nicely with his and the "Dead Universe" Cybertronians view of the Cybertronians as a superior race and themselves as superior to their fellow Cybertronians.

And thankfully his army is now only made up of Sweeps rather than the random generics and the "Threat" isn't specifically named as D-Void so I'm still hoping that Heart of Darkness is being mostly ignored. Certainly Galvatron and co are much more murderous and merciless than the incompetent jackasses they were in that mini series

The Autobots get some nice characterisation as well. Sunstreaker still isn't trusted, which makes more sense than the "Everyones friends again" panel from issue 21 but it's done in a nicely understated way, with the other Autobots giving him the cold shoulder. Also, he pets Bob and Bob purrs like a kitten. MOST. ADORABLE. SCENE. EVER. I want a Bob the Insection cuddly toy. He's a cute little mutated abomination of nature and science

Ironhide and Prime get to have some scenes together again and it's nice to see the friendship between the characters. And we get some references back to the Ironhide miniseries with Ironhide telling the other Autobots of how he knocked out the legendary Alpha Trion which Cliffjumper gets a laugh out of which fits his characterisation so far nicely. And there's a random reference to Bludgeon at one point, with one of the Autobots suggesting that Alpha Trion could have been him in disguise as joke? Don't know if that's just a pun I'm not getting or if, perhaps, it's going to turn out that everyones favourite nutty Decepticon cultist is going to be showing up. There IS meant to be an appearance by a Decepticon later in the story for Sunstreaker to face off with...

Optimus is pretty well written here, wanting peace but being ready to kick ass at the same time when Galvatron starts attacking.

And there's a pretty solid cliffhanger as well

On the negative side of things, it's a LOT quicker read than the superb issues 22 and 23 and there's a few too many splash pages. But I liked it. A good Transformers story actually STARRING the Transformers instead of a bunch of boring humans who no one cares about

Next issue...oh christ, Skywatch are back. So let's get ready for 22 pages showing why Spike Witwicky is the most dangerous character in the history of Transformers :nonono:

At least Prowl's back to being a manipulative son of a bitch. I'm guessing he's going to be the only good thing about the issues set on earth

Red Dave Prime
2011-08-25, 09:21 PM
Quite liked this issue. The art, which I was a little wary of, is wonderful. Ok, some panels can be a little muddled but the high points are worth it - The main battle splash (a splash that is actually justified) and Galvatron being picked up by cyclonus are fantastic looking. The sweeps also look great - very creepy.

Plot wise, it was never going to be a match for the past 2 issues.But things go well - a bit of action, a bit of character ("Young" Ironhide is great fun) and a bit of intrigue. Is D-void a bit of fiction going on in Galvatrons head? Whats with the orbital station? And whats going to happen with Megatron?

So lots to like so far. Hopefully the last human story can keep things going in an interesting manner but we'll have to see.

StarscreamX
2011-08-26, 02:11 AM
Quite liked this issue. The art, which I was a little wary of, is wonderful. Ok, some panels can be a little muddled but the high points are worth it - The main battle splash (a splash that is actually justified) and Galvatron being picked up by cyclonus are fantastic looking. The sweeps also look great - very creepy.

Yeah those Sweeps were nicely creepy. Very different from the comedy relief characters they were in the cartoon, they're more like a robotic zombie horde here. Were two of them actually EATING one of those Autobots on the Kimia station?

Plot wise, it was never going to be a match for the past 2 issues.But things go well - a bit of action, a bit of character ("Young" Ironhide is great fun) and a bit of intrigue. Is D-void a bit of fiction going on in Galvatrons head? Whats with the orbital station? And whats going to happen with Megatron?

I like the idea of D-Void all being in Galvatron's head and the Heart of Darkness is making him go nuts.

Red Dave Prime
2011-08-26, 12:07 PM
Funny if Galvatron was, in effective, D-void. In so far as HE is the big bad thats furthering the Dead Universe but doesnt realise it. It would explain his powers in early furman issues and why the heart of Darkness calls out to him. Best of all, it would mean the d-void stuff is confined to his mind along with the awful artwork. Hoo-rah!

Get the feeling there's going to be something more revealed in this relating to Cybertron. Certainly from Megatron/ Primes discussion, I got the feeling we may be heading for a reveal there.

Blackjack
2011-08-26, 04:01 PM
That doesn't suck.

This doesn't suck, which is probably a record in a spree of ongoing issues that doesn't suck.

Thank god, Mike Costa has a better handle on Galvatron than the rubbish from Heart of Darkness. He's still crazy insane, but it's closer to his Infestation character rather than the whiny bitch from Heart of Darkness. The Sweeps and Cyclonus also look very sinister, unlike the "great Primus Hardhead's transforming so I lose" from Heart of Darkness.

The art is phenomenal. Action is blurred at some points, but the mood drawing and rather subdued tones and whatnot is so gorgeous and fits with the mood of the story. And besides, it's refreshing to see something that's not basic comic book art like the past few issues. I have nothing against those kind of art, but this is something else! The Sweeps in particular look like little mindless demons, which works very well. I like how one of the Sweeps bit something out of... Strafe? Fizzle?

Cliffjumper's turned back into his prissy cartoon persona, which I don't think is a good thing.

Ironhide and Sunstreaker are both being built up from their role in Ironhide... Costa seems to know which characters he can write and which he can't, so he's avoiding giving Megatron much dialogue. Good.

Downshift got a panel of personality (no doubt Roberts' doing. Only the fandom pays any attention to Omnibots) but it's a shame that the story implies that guys like the Technobots, Brainstorm, Chromedome, Swerve, Crosshairs and all that died in the assault. It's like the wiping out of Action Masters and Turbomasters in Garrus-9, dammit!

Anybody have any idea who the guy with the Xaaron-like head with Cloudburst in the first few pages is? I am drawing blanks on him... is it Grotusque? Which in case it won't make any sense...

Knightdramon
2011-08-26, 05:21 PM
I liked it.

Art is terrific, unlike the last piece that had similarly styled art [Spotlight Sideswipe], this one does not wash out all the pencil details.

Sweeps are tastefully creepy. Their bat\demon like wings fit in quite nicely.

The autobots appear to be a fierce team pieced of my favourite guys from the ongoing so far. We've got personal top of the top Sunstreaker with Rodimus, second tiers Ironhide and Drift and likeable dudes together with them. The only thing missing from that team is Perceptor and Thundercracker and I'd have a nerdgasm.

The negatives? Well...how did the Sweeps get so numerous? Did Galvatron format his entire army from HOD into sweep bodies? Is it by chance that Scourge was missing from all the action?

Didn't remember\know that Kimia was a spaceship. How come Cloudburst, a pretender [established badasses in this continuity] get taken down so easily?

Also, will some the **** body at IDW make up their minds on how they want Galvatron to be? During Furman's term he was an ambiguous bad guy, hints of remorse coming from his spotlight, hints of defiance from when he helped out Megatron in Devastation. In infestation he actually wanted to help out, albeit in a weird G1 Decepticon sense during which everybody had to kiss his ass. In Heat of Darkness he's like THE SAVIOUR, wanting to save the entire universe from D-Void, trying to recruit Rodimus, benevolently healing the Sweep that got damaged...

And now he once again want unconditional surrender of the autobots to his forces, slaughtering the residents of Kimia, blasting the autobots who didn't agree to join him...just because. Yeah, no reason given.

Really looking forward to more of this. At this format of 2 issues per month, no less!

Denyer
2011-08-26, 05:53 PM
Mmm, heavily stylised but I do like the visuals a lot.

On the back of Heart of Darkness and related material being incredibly lacklustre, though, this'll be a TPB purchase if at all.

Red Dave Prime
2011-08-26, 11:57 PM
The negatives? Well...how did the Sweeps get so numerous? Did Galvatron format his entire army from HOD into sweep bodies? Is it by chance that Scourge was missing from all the action?

It would appear so. And God bless, because the thought of that rag tag bunch from HoD being involved would be the shits. Whether by plan or due to poor reaction, I wonder is Galvatron and Scourge carrying some form of reformatting disease (kinda like a zombie plague). Maybe when someone gets bitten by a sweep? I dont know, but there is a missing link between end of HoD and whats been seen here and in the earlier ongoing. Personally, I dont mind if they never explain it. Just ignore that shitty four-parter. Please.

Blackjack
2011-08-27, 10:36 AM

It was an issue... AHM #16? That Galvatron created a whole lot of Sweeps.

Frankly looking at Sweeps is much better than the ugly army from HOD.

Didn't remember\know that Kimia was a spaceship.

We saw it in the Roche-penned AHM issue, for all of one panel.

Also, will some the **** body at IDW make up their minds on how they want Galvatron to be? During Furman's term he was an ambiguous bad guy, hints of remorse coming from his spotlight, hints of defiance from when he helped out Megatron in Devastation. In infestation he actually wanted to help out, albeit in a weird G1 Decepticon sense during which everybody had to kiss his ass. In Heat of Darkness he's like THE SAVIOUR, wanting to save the entire universe from D-Void, trying to recruit Rodimus, benevolently healing the Sweep that got damaged...

And now he once again want unconditional surrender of the autobots to his forces, slaughtering the residents of Kimia, blasting the autobots who didn't agree to join him...just because. Yeah, no reason given.

I agree with this. While the change between the Furmanverse and the Infestation/HOD/Ongoing might be attributed to being dunked into the all-powerful solar swimming pool, the inconsistency between HOD where he is the self-proclaimed Savior, reviving Autobots and shit, and Infestation where he's just crazy insane, and here where he's a savage anti-villain...

Red Dave Prime
2011-08-27, 12:10 PM
LOOK, THEY JUST GOT THE OPTIMUS PRIME CHARACTER SORTED AFTER 2 YEARS, GALVATRON IS GOING TO TAKE A FEW MORE ISSUES, M'KAY????

Blackjack
2011-08-27, 01:06 PM
LOOK, THEY JUST GOT THE OPTIMUS PRIME CHARACTER SORTED AFTER 2 YEARS, GALVATRON IS GOING TO TAKE A FEW MORE ISSUES, M'KAY????

You win the thread.

StarscreamX
2011-08-28, 03:40 PM
That doesn't suck.

This doesn't suck, which is probably a record in a spree of ongoing issues that doesn't suck.

Thank god, Mike Costa has a better handle on Galvatron than the rubbish from Heart of Darkness. He's still crazy insane, but it's closer to his Infestation character rather than the whiny bitch from Heart of Darkness. The Sweeps and Cyclonus also look very sinister, unlike the "great Primus Hardhead's transforming so I lose" from Heart of Darkness.

:lol:

A Transformer transforming?! You can't expect Cyclonus and Scourge to be a match for such cunning tactics!

Seriously I think the writers of Heart of Darkness based Scourge and Cyclonus off the personalities they had in the english dub of the Headmaster's cartoon. All that was missing was for one of them to loudly declare how evil they were and then laugh in a way no living being has ever laughed before

The art is phenomenal. Action is blurred at some points, but the mood drawing and rather subdued tones and whatnot is so gorgeous and fits with the mood of the story. And besides, it's refreshing to see something that's not basic comic book art like the past few issues. I have nothing against those kind of art, but this is something else! The Sweeps in particular look like little mindless demons, which works very well. I like how one of the Sweeps bit something out of... Strafe? Fizzle?

Cliffjumper's turned back into his prissy cartoon persona, which I don't think is a good thing.

Ironhide and Sunstreaker are both being built up from their role in Ironhide... Costa seems to know which characters he can write and which he can't, so he's avoiding giving Megatron much dialogue. Good.

Ironhide and Sunstreaker have both been great fun so far. I like Ironhide's ass kicking attitude and the way he's totally unimpressed by Galvatron's threats and superior attitude. And Sunstreaker and Bob are adorable.

Downshift got a panel of personality (no doubt Roberts' doing. Only the fandom pays any attention to Omnibots) but it's a shame that the story implies that guys like the Technobots, Brainstorm, Chromedome, Swerve, Crosshairs and all that died in the assault. It's like the wiping out of Action Masters and Turbomasters in Garrus-9, dammit!

Anybody have any idea who the guy with the Xaaron-like head with Cloudburst in the first few pages is? I am drawing blanks on him... is it Grotusque? Which in case it won't make any sense...

Alas poor Downshift. At least he got a panel of personality. That's more than some of the cast have gotten in 23 issues of the ongoing

I'm hoping that at least some of those guys are in stasis lock but not dead, so there's a chance we'll see them again.:)

Funny if Galvatron was, in effective, D-void. In so far as HE is the big bad thats furthering the Dead Universe but doesnt realise it. It would explain his powers in early furman issues and why the heart of Darkness calls out to him. Best of all, it would mean the d-void stuff is confined to his mind along with the awful artwork. Hoo-rah!

Get the feeling there's going to be something more revealed in this relating to Cybertron. Certainly from Megatron/ Primes discussion, I got the feeling we may be heading for a reveal there.

I wonder if Cybertron can transform? Wasn't something like that hinted at in one of those Movie-verse comic books that Furman wrote? The one where Unicron showed up. Maybe Cybertron can transform into Primus/Unicron/Primacron or something like that?

Maybe Prime and Megatron know that but have kept it from the others to stop it being used as a weapon

Also holy crap I just realised that Ironhide smacked Galvatron with the dead body of one of the Sweeps. That is AWESOME :afro:

I THINK that Scourge was the Sweep that talked onboard Kimia, as he's the only Sweep who's been shown to be able to speak in the IDW continuity. I could be wrong but it seems like the others are just mindless/brainwashed servants of Galvatron

I think Galvatron has probably reformatted his entire army into Sweeps. It adds to his creepy-ness if he has and the Sweeps look much more sinister than all those random generics

Didn't remember\know that Kimia was a spaceship. How come Cloudburst, a pretender [established badasses in this continuity] get taken down so easily?

Cyclonus was pretty powerful in the Dead Universe stories as well and if all the Sweeps are as powerful as the Dead Universe cybertronians it might just be that Cloudburst was overwhelmed by sheer numbers

Or it might just be that Costa doesn't know how powerful Pretenders are supposed to be in this continuity :(

Red Dave Prime
2011-09-01, 08:30 PM
Or it might just be that Costa doesn't know how powerful Pretenders are supposed to be in this continuity

I dont think the Autobot pretenders are anywhere near the level of Thunderwing (or bludgeon, and I always got the impression he was a step below Thunderwing) If I remember right, I got the impression that it was a rushed pretender process that Jetfire used and it was more to allow them to survive the dead universe. We never actually see them in combat so I could be wrong.

StarscreamX
2011-09-03, 11:55 AM
I dont think the Autobot pretenders are anywhere near the level of Thunderwing (or bludgeon, and I always got the impression he was a step below Thunderwing) If I remember right, I got the impression that it was a rushed pretender process that Jetfire used and it was more to allow them to survive the dead universe. We never actually see them in combat so I could be wrong.

That's true, maybe the Autobot Pretender suits just aren't as dangerous as the Thunderwing one as they're a different design

zigzagger
2011-09-20, 06:27 AM
This is your all purpose Transformers #26 reaction and discussion thread.

Out September 21st.

Preview @ Comic Book Resources (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=9836).

Denyer
2011-09-20, 06:55 AM
Pretty, but the storyline hasn't really done anything to deserve epic battlez.

StarscreamX
2011-09-20, 04:39 PM
Its looking like this is going to be some good stuff. Autobots vs Decepticons with not a single stupid Skywatch character in sight so that instantly makes it better than last issue, and I'm pretty curious as to why Galvatron wants to blast a hole into Cybertron . The arts fantastic though it is a little hard to make out which Autobot's are flying into battle with Silverbolt on that page

And Prime here seems less senile/emo than he has been so far in the ongoing. Maybe that's just me but he seems a bit more like the Prime of old. Getting off Earth has obviously been good for him

And the Autobots taking on a space ship sized weapon in space and an army of Decepticons lead by a nutter like Galvatron is the kind of stuff I want to read in my Transformers comics. Not "Let's spend 20 pages on the tedious life of some human douche and finish with him killing a Decepticon with a bottle of washing up liquid"

More Wheelie is nice too. I've grown to like him ever since his Spotlight

Red Dave Prime
2011-09-20, 07:11 PM
I like the feeling of impending doom that seems to be going on. The autobots are establishing a proper military set-up compared to the usual "let's rush into the obvious trap".

Still really enjoying the art. There is the odd panel where it is a little tricky to follow but overall it's wonderful to look at. Not sure which cover to go for, both Galvatron and Prime look brilliant on each!

StarscreamX
2011-09-21, 12:00 PM
Well, good stuff and bad so...

The Good

Wheelie is a bad ass in this issue. Seriously, I never thought I'd type the words "Wheelie is a bad ass" five years ago, but there you go.

The Technobots get to have a proper send off. It's a real shame to see these characters killed off, as I liked these guys and the way Furman wrote them in Stormbringer but at least they get to have a big heroic sacrifice that, unlike Sunstreaker's in All Hail Megatron actually does something useful and serves a purpose in the plot.

Jhiaxus!

There's some great character stuff for the Autobots here, and a ton of them get some crowning moments of awesome, whether it's the Technobots destroying Kimia, Trailbreaker trying to create a force field big enough to protect the whole planet, Silverbolt fighting Sweeps in spacem, Wheelie taking out a ton of Sweeps with ease or Rodimus trying to ram Kimia with Omega Supreme. Prime is more dynamic and determined at last, much more like the character we saw pre All Hail Megatron, and Ironhide's friendship with him is nicely done here.

Megatron manages to be pretty menacing in the final page though that new design for him...not sure about that yet. And I'm not entirely clear on what the hell happened to him. Did he transform into some kind of third "Ultra" mode like Thunderwing was able to do, or did he just put that armour together after he escaped? And how DID he escape? I thought Omega was going to crush him if he ever tried to? Or was it just that Sunstreaker, Garnak and Trailbreaker were onboard so he couldn't do that?

And the bad

The art is great but at times it is a bit unclear which Autobots are actually fighting the Sweeps during the big space battle. Though as Silverbolt is the only one with a speaking role that's not a major problem

Galvatron seems a little underused here. I enjoyed Costa and Roberts take on him in the first part of this story but here he barely gets any panel time which is a shame

The loss of Kimia and all those characters seems like a real waste, given how interesting Roche and Roberts made that place sound in just one short text story. I really wish at least some of the characters, other than Xaaron had survived

There is not nearly enough Bob the Insecticon in this issue :mad:

This being the second part of a four part story, we still don't have even a clue what Galvatron has planned for Cybertron. I'm getting a little worried that the ending is going to be ridiculously rushed, especially as new plots like Megatron breaking loose, the return of another Decepticon next issue and the appearance of something called the Decepti-god are going to make it hard to wrap everything up without it being a rushed mess like the ending of Revelations was

But I liked it. I'd give it a solid B, the dialouge was good, it kept me entertained and so far Chaos is looking like a pretty decent conclusion for the current ongoing series

Knightdramon
2011-09-25, 08:06 AM
I like how autobots pop up from everywhere. Like the G1 cartoon.

How could Wheelie and Cliffjumper survive the entire issue without reinforcements, again? The two technobots inside Kimia had survived by hiding? They were spared? It's not exactly clear.

Dude that's drawing can make anything look epic, but can't draw a car. They all look like squashed up hotwheels.

The entire thing looks suitably epic and grand and a tad gothic, if you will [most drawings of the Sweeps, Cybertron, Megatron] but sadly doesn't read as such.

Very curious to see how it's going to wrap up.

Paul053
2011-09-28, 02:57 PM
Flip to the last page first. Thought I saw The Fallen.:p After read through, no, it's Megatron. Guess he just combined with the gun parts. How he escaped? The gun parts became scissors to cut him off and I guess Omega was damaged and too weak to stop him.

Another epic issue, guess we will have this up and down thing every month between Cybertron and earth.

Wheelie is cool! The thing never happened to him since he blasted somebot in season 3. On the contrast, Cliffjumper just became useless and lousy.

Guess I didn't read Heart of Darkness clear enough (and I don't want to) but how those two Technobots still in Kimia I have no idea. I thought Kimia was clear after Swoops took over.

Hot Rod (okay, Rodimus) finally made me like him again comparing to previous ongoing especially the beginning when Costa didn't know how to write anybody.

Good fun story to read so far.

And to predict the end, please don't me unleash the power of Matrix and save the day.

Blackjack
2011-09-28, 04:11 PM
Good stuff:

-Wheelie is great, Ironhide, Rodimus and Sunstreaker are decent as always.

-The art, again, as always.

-The aerial battle with random flying Autobots like Sandstorm popping out of the background.

-At least a well send-off for the Technobots, although I think having them killed duing a crossfire while Galvatron tries to 'negotiate' a truce (the way Galvatron knows how anyway) is a rather poor send-off.

-Galvatron being a general maniac and all.

-The lack of Spike Witwicky.

Bad stuff:

-A bunch of plot holes, like how Omega Supreme doesn't realise Megatron is breaking free, or whatever happened to the whole VVH thing. Or why didn't all these flying Autobots used in previous battles (bar Cosmos and Jetfire).

-Still not really 'big' enough, and since the whole grand scale enemy Galvatron is gunning to fight is that bloody Dvoid...

-Art is unclear at times, making identification a bit of a nightmare. Still pretty, though, although not as pretty as the story.

StarscreamX
2011-09-30, 11:03 PM
Good stuff:

-Wheelie is great, Ironhide, Rodimus and Sunstreaker are decent as always.

-The art, again, as always.

-The aerial battle with random flying Autobots like Sandstorm popping out of the background.

-At least a well send-off for the Technobots, although I think having them killed duing a crossfire while Galvatron tries to 'negotiate' a truce (the way Galvatron knows how anyway) is a rather poor send-off.

-Galvatron being a general maniac and all.

-The lack of Spike Witwicky.

Bad stuff:

-A bunch of plot holes, like how Omega Supreme doesn't realise Megatron is breaking free, or whatever happened to the whole VVH thing. Or why didn't all these flying Autobots used in previous battles (bar Cosmos and Jetfire).

-Still not really 'big' enough, and since the whole grand scale enemy Galvatron is gunning to fight is that bloody Dvoid...

-Art is unclear at times, making identification a bit of a nightmare. Still pretty, though, although not as pretty as the story.

The art is one of the best and worst things here, it looks great and all but at times it's really not easy to tell who each character is meant to be especially in group shots. I think Megatron broke free of Omega Supreme because he was damaged in the battle or because he had some secret extra transformation ability that none of the Autobots had detected, like a triple changer or Thunderwing switching to "Ultra Mode" in Stormbringer and that gave him the ability to survive Omega's VVH. Which is why he's gone Super Saiyan in the cliffhanger of this issue

Red Dave Prime
2011-10-01, 10:55 AM
Late to pick this one up but me likey.

The art may have a few confusing panels but it so works with the end of the world vibe in the story. Not sure if this kind of art would fit less epic stories though.

Story is fine. There'snot much there but the characters are at least being brought out. Although Cliffjumper is another costa classic - take a character that is already established and then go completely the other way. This is the little red guy with horns who takes out mid-high command decepticons. He should be very comfortable with sniping cons.

I had no problem with Megatrons escape - like screamer X, I'm guessing Omega is pretty damaged and no-one expected the little megs to be able to assist him. His new super mode is interesting but a little bit overkill surely - he has already been established as an absolute killer, god-tier robot in the previous arc. Not sure he needed a third mode.

I do worry that we are going to get a matrix solution to this plot but that somewhat makes sense given that its cybertron they are protecting. Still no mention of d-void - if that was all in Galvatrons head (and I do hope it was) I would at least like a little bit of clarity on that.

Overall though, its still good. Now back to earth. Costa-Hooooooo!

StarscreamX
2011-10-01, 12:32 PM
Late to pick this one up but me likey.

The art may have a few confusing panels but it so works with the end of the world vibe in the story. Not sure if this kind of art would fit less epic stories though.

Story is fine. There'snot much there but the characters are at least being brought out. Although Cliffjumper is another costa classic - take a character that is already established and then go completely the other way. This is the little red guy with horns who takes out mid-high command decepticons. He should be very comfortable with sniping cons.

I had no problem with Megatrons escape - like screamer X, I'm guessing Omega is pretty damaged and no-one expected the little megs to be able to assist him. His new super mode is interesting but a little bit overkill surely - he has already been established as an absolute killer, god-tier robot in the previous arc. Not sure he needed a third mode.

I do worry that we are going to get a matrix solution to this plot but that somewhat makes sense given that its cybertron they are protecting. Still no mention of d-void - if that was all in Galvatrons head (and I do hope it was) I would at least like a little bit of clarity on that.

Overall though, its still good. Now back to earth. Costa-Hooooooo!

I'm thinking it was. Optimus said that he sensed "Something" in Galvatron, and I'm thinking that it's the Heart of Darkness, driving him even crazier, making him hallucinate all that D-void shiz and directing him to do all this. Like a little devil sitting on his shoulder whispering into his ear

Megatron having an ultra mode when he was already damn near utterly indestructible in Revenge of the Decepticons is kind of overkill but with this big-ass crazy Deceptigod mofo coming in the next issue maybe he's going to need that new body

Red Dave Prime
2011-10-01, 10:36 PM
with this big-ass crazy Deceptigod mofo coming in the next issue maybe he's going to need that new body

Hey! Spoiler! (just kidding ;) )

I dont know if he would need it. the sweeps may be many but they seem paper thin - like the vamps in dusk til dawn. If they do form the big bad monster I reckon it wouldnt be too hard to punch it to pieces.

StarscreamX
2011-10-05, 06:52 PM
Hey! Spoiler! (just kidding ;) )

I dont know if he would need it. the sweeps may be many but they seem paper thin - like the vamps in dusk til dawn. If they do form the big bad monster I reckon it wouldnt be too hard to punch it to pieces.

I'm still trying to figure out HOW they form that thing. It looks like they just sort of...cling to each other. So they're the Combiner equivalent of a Cheerleader pyramid. :wtf:

StarscreamX
2011-10-18, 01:37 PM
Your all purpose Transformers #28 reaction and discussion thread.

Preview @ Comics Continuum. (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1110/18/idwfirsts.htm)

- ziggy

---
Soooooo...

It looks like more survived the Kimia assault which is FANTASTIC news, as it's annoying when the more obscure characters get used as "red shirts" to be killed off to show how "bad ass" the villain is. I'm not entirely sure exactly WHO survived though...Chromedome and Swerve are there and I THINK one of them is Mainframe, the Action Master...if anyone can name the others that would be great, ta

And Arcee is back! :wtf:

It seems that Megatron has brought the entire Decepticon army with him to Cybertron too, minus one or two who are still on Earth like Brawl. Awesome stuff although once again I'm worried this plot is going to get too cluttered. We already had Galvatron, Megatron and the Deceptigod, now we've got the survivors of the Kimia massacre, Arcee, the Decepticon army...I'm worried this is going to end in a Revelations style rushed conclusion

Though I suppose some of these plot threads might be just set up for the new ongoings. The Kimia survivors are almost certainly going to show up in Roberts and Roche's ongoing as they are the ones who came up with the idea of Kimia

Paul053
2011-10-18, 03:04 PM
And Arcee is back! :wtf:
This is predicable, if you've read the bloody Heart of Darkness.

Blackjack
2011-10-18, 03:49 PM
I'd kill to have an arc, just once, feature just Optimus, Megatron and Galvatron and their armies on a plot similar to this../ but without the Dead Universe or Spike Witwicky or nuclear bombs or the god damned Devoidceptigod. Just one arc, please? Then we can get back to random vague Spike Witwicky shit.

The guys from Kimia: In the back, we have Swerve, Rewind, Rad, Mainframe and Crosshairs as the ones I immediately recognize. Beside Swerve the two guys are obscured by lighting but I think one of them is Grapple. No idea the Xaaronesque guy on the left or the guy with Beachcomberish eyes, have to check.

That panel where the Sweeps are blown up is gorgeous.

No idea who the jet beside Misfire (?) is, but that is one kickass alternate mode.

StarscreamX
2011-10-18, 06:37 PM
I'd kill to have an arc, just once, feature just Optimus, Megatron and Galvatron and their armies on a plot similar to this../ but without the Dead Universe or Spike Witwicky or nuclear bombs or the god damned Devoidceptigod. Just one arc, please? Then we can get back to random vague Spike Witwicky shit.

I'm still hoping Spike Witwicky gets stepped on. Or eaten by the Monsterbots!:swirly:

At least we're getting some good old fashioned Autobots vs Decepticons fun in this issue, with none of that toss about Decepticons working for humans or humans being able to kill Cybertronians

The guys from Kimia: In the back, we have Swerve, Rewind, Rad, Mainframe and Crosshairs as the ones I immediately recognize. Beside Swerve the two guys are obscured by lighting but I think one of them is Grapple. No idea the Xaaronesque guy on the left or the guy with Beachcomberish eyes, have to check.

Eternally grateful, thanks! Surprised to see Rewind among the Kimia crowd but it's a nice surprise. Reminds me of the Furman stuff where characters who weren't normally together would show up as part of a team, like Thrust, Skullcruncher, Dreadwind, Darkwing, Crankcase, Ruckus and Roadgrabber working together on Nebulous. Or Swindle being a criminal on the run from the Decepticons instead of a Combaticon

I wonder if this means that Rewind isn't a cassette in IDW continuity? I could be wrong but I don't think we've ever seen Blaster use his cassettes or even work with them in the IDW comics, so maybe it's only Soundwave who has cassette robots inside him?

That panel where the Sweeps are blown up is gorgeous.

No idea who the jet beside Misfire (?) is, but that is one kickass alternate mode.

They're all looking pretty damn badass in this preview, love the panel of Shockwave, Starscream and Soundwave battling the Sweeps together. I think that's Triggerhappy next to Misfire though I could be wrong.

Oh and looking at the recap page, it seems that armour Megatron has is some kind of third mode he has, and that's how he bust loose of Omega's restraints. Figured as much but it's nice to have that confirmed as the scene itself wasn't all that clear

This is predicable, if you've read the bloody Heart of Darkness.

I honestly thought that whole plot thread had been forgotten, what with Hardhead not being among Galvatron's troops and this story being blissfully D-Void-free so far.

Sadly it looks like that Heart of Darkness bollocks is going to be part of this story. Still Arcee isn't the worst character to bring back I suppose

StarscreamX
2011-10-19, 07:39 PM
This has sadly started to go downhill fast. After Galvatron being entertainingly mental in issue one, here he's once again in the ludicrous role of hero, saying that he has to save the universe, which makes the battle between him and the Autobots now look like incredibly thick heroes too stupid to realise they are on the same side thumping each other. So it's the 90's in other words

And oh sweet zombie jesus the Deceptigod. This thing is just eight different flavours of what the **** and not in a good way either. Apparently Galvatron's "Heart of Darkness" does...something and this brainwashes all the Sweeps and Decepticons and teaches them to find the SPARK OF COMBINATION and form together into the stupidest looking combiner ever. Except for Megatron who is presumably too sensible to take part in this bollocks

The Decepticons are utterly wasted, none of them getting any dialogue or getting to really do anything before their brainwashed which makes me wonder why they are even in this issue. If Costa is planning to kill them off I'll be pissed. Devastator returns and this fearsome combiner with the power to defeat whole armies of Autobots is beaten by An exploding wheelchair

Okay enough bitching, what did I like? I like that the Kimia 'Bots are still alive. And I liked the artwork for the battle scenes at the start of this issue where the Decepticons do look pretty badass. And I loved Bob vs Ravage :love:

I've got no bloody clue how all this is going to be wrapped up in one issue though. We're three issues into a four part story and we still haven't got the faintest clue what in the name of buggery Galvatron actually WANTS on Cybertron or why blowing bloody great holes in the planet seemed like a good idea to him. :wall:

Oh and Jhiaxus's contribution to the plot? He gets to shout "Prime!". It makes me miss the days of "Great Primus! She's so fast!" from the Heart of Darkness series:nonono:

Paul053
2011-10-22, 03:23 AM
I've got no bloody clue how all this is going to be wrapped up in one issue though. We're three issues into a four part story and we still haven't got the faintest clue what in the name of buggery Galvatron actually WANTS on Cybertron or why blowing bloody great holes in the planet seemed like a good idea to him. :wall:
Glad you have this feeling cuz I'm starting to loose my confidence in reading. I thought I missed something but guess not.:)

Warcry
2011-10-22, 05:17 AM
The story in the Chaos issues is as muddy as the art. Three issues in and I have no idea what's going on. The entire thing is almost surreal and makes even less sense in the context of Heart of Darkness. Every second scene seems like a complete non-sequitur, and honestly I'm not sure why I should even try to decipher it all.

I just don't understand Costa. How can one writer go from the self-indulgent pseudo-intellectualism of the early ongoing to the bigoted jingoism of 'International Incedent' to this? It's like he's three different kinds of hack writer rolled up into one...except that once in an while he actually writes something good, and that makes the bad stories annoy me even more.

If I didn't know that this and Police Action (not great by any stretch of the imagination, but serviceable and fun) were written by the same person, I wouldn't believe it.

zigzagger
2011-10-22, 06:26 AM
Okay, I'm confused...

I thought the range of Megatron's built-in space bridge was limited. At least, I seem to recall that was case in some back issue that I can't be bothered to check.

And as Starscream X has already stated, what purpose do the Decepticons serve being there? What I mean to say is, were they absolutely necessarily to the plot, what with the few pages that they are in? They couldn't spare a few extra Sweeps to take part in all that "Deceptigod*" nonsense?

It's like AHM Omega Supreme all over again, really.

* Is that what IDW is actually calling that thing?

StarscreamX
2011-10-22, 10:49 AM
Okay, I'm confused...

I thought the range of Megatron's built-in space bridge was limited. At least, I seem to recall that was case in some back issue that I can't be bothered to check.

I know the issue you mean, issue 15, and if I recall correctly Shockwave said that without a "Spacebridge Gate" or something like that they could travel anywhere in the Space Bridge but they couldn't be sure how accurate it would be. But I don't think there was any problem with them traveling long distances, it's just that they couldn't be too accurate. I would guess the Space Bridge warped them close to Cybertron and they travelled the rest of the way under their own power though that's just a stab in the dark at what happened.

And as Starscream X has already stated, what purpose do the Decepticons serve being there? What I mean to say is, were they absolutely necessarily to the plot, what with the few pages that they are in? They couldn't spare a few extra Sweeps to take part in all that "Deceptigod*" nonsense?

They literally serve no purpose other than to show up, shoot at the Autobots a bit and then get brainwashed by the "Great Heart of Darkness!" :p Also how exactly does it brainwash them? Autobots and Decepticons aren't a different species or even a different race. Their just cybertronians who differ in viewpoints. So why does the Heart of Darkness work on Decepticons and not Autobots? I mean I'm assuming it doesn't work on Autobots as surely if Galvatron could just brainwash all the Autobots into serving him he would.

And why if it does only affect Decepticons is Megatron not affected? Given that he's the founder of the Decepticons and so the FIRST Decepticon you would think it would work on him.

The only Decepticon who gets to do anything other than be brainwashed is Devastator. And while it's nice to see him be intelligent rather than the mindless brute from the cartoon he and the rest of the Decepticons are just utterly wasted here. The battle with the Autobots is pointless padding in a story that really doesn't need any more padding

It's like AHM Omega Supreme all over again, really.

* Is that what IDW is actually calling that thing?

Yes it is

Jesus Jones:nonono:

Glad you have this feeling cuz I'm starting to loose my confidence in reading. I thought I missed something but guess not.:)

Only three months until we get Roche and Roberts writing an ongoing.

ONLY. THREE. MONTHS. Dear Primus please let my sanity last until then

Red Dave Prime
2011-10-30, 11:37 PM
Quite liked it, massive flaws included.

At this point hoping things to make sense has gone right out the window. The 'Cons appearing doesnt seem to have any point at all and I can only assume that those shown are being written out of the series. Otherwise, I dont see the need at all. They feature in one panel and then effectively become Sweeps to link up and form the Decepti-god.

And as for that... It really doesnt make sense. As has been pointed out here so many times, Galavatron is not a decepticon, never has been. Yet the heart of darkness seems to allow him to amass his army and any other decepticons into a super giant robot ("00100100 - lol!) Theres a few problems here, not least - how the hell does the actual robot work? Costa already established that combiners can be a mess if the minds dont think alike so how this monster can function is never explained - and we know it never will be. Other problems? Drift is obviously affected by the HoD but doesnt form part of the deceptigod. Megatron should be affected but isnt (actually my thought on those two points is that both Megatron and Drift are in re-built bodies)

Also pointed out here is the fact that transformers choose to be autobot or deceptiocon - or neither. Its not pre-programmed so with that in mind, surely all the transformers should have been affected?

Last point on the deceptigod is that if Galvatron had both that massive army and the ability to combine to become that huge robot what the hell kind of threat is D-void going to be? Although I still hope D-void is in Galvs head. Heck, maybe D-void is the decepti-god and Galvatron has unwittingly created his own enemy.

BUT bearing all that in mind, I still enjoyed the atmosphere of it. It does feel like we are reaching a big conclusion here (ok, I know we are but it does have a feeling of epic) and the Art is so perfect for whats going on. Yeah, it can be muddled but its often so fantastic (imo) that I can forgive a muddled panel - and I didnt find any in this issue to be honest.

It may be a bit unfair to enjoy a comic book mostly because of the artwork but I really think it saves this arc. Dont think its a style that would suit every type of plot but for this apocolyptic arc its not just perfect - its the saving grace.

Red Dave Prime
2011-11-29, 03:02 AM
So, this has been out for a little while and I couldn't find a thread so if no-one else has started one already... Here goes!

It's quite a hard issue to judge on its own. On the plus side, the art is once again so suited to the subject. There's some wonderful imagery here.

Also I have to give credit to how the issue starts. Acknowledging that there is an awful lot of crap leading up to this, the discussion between the autobots as to whats going on is entertaining. It really tries to link all the strands together as best they can. And they almost succeed.

There's some nice moments for some characters here too. Rodimus continues to improve and may well be worthy of that headline slot. Megatron gets his moment of glory against the big bad. And whatever you think of the Decepti-god (for me its a stupid creation) it does give Megatron a great last stand moment (although like many parts of the end, thats not quite clear). He gets a heroic moment without becoming a hero - always good for the lead villian.

As for the other lead villian, there's actually little galvatron in this. Thanks to the woeful job that Heart of Darkness did, there is little gravity to the situation he ends up in and while there is a nice cameo from Cyclonus the end of Galvatron is really just background fodder. I just dont think IDW really ever got a handle on Galvatron once Furman left. Sometimes mad, sometimes dark but rarely consistent.

Where as Megatron gets a great sign off, I dont feel that Prime is given the same. Costa still is potraying him as being unsure but to be honest I dont know why. After Roberts work on Chaos theory, its clear that prime works as a sure and steadfast character. All of costas work has gone against that and its done nothing but hurt prime. This should be his grand hurrah moment but unlike Megatron who dives into his battle, Prime needs to be nudged into it by Rodimus. If this was the angle they were going to take then maybe
Prime should have helped Megatron against the Deceptigod and let Rodimus deliver the Matrix cure

Finally, the last few pages see all things come to a head. And while I've read much criticism on other boards about the ending, I liked how it was done if not what actually happens. There's a really good switch between an incredibly hectic confrontation to a scene of... serenity? It works really well although once you think of what actually happens, you get the meh feeling. In truth, I was expecting far worse.

All in all though, I did enjoy this issue and have enjoyed the four issues of chaos. Faults a plenty sure but IDW look to be giving their new writing team as much as a blank slate as possible.

2 more issues for Costa (or at least I'm assuming he is in charge of the last 2.) Curious to see exactly what will be in those last 44 pages.

Ulcrain
2011-11-29, 08:34 AM
Cyclones is awsome.

Neuronutter
2011-11-29, 01:30 PM
2 more issues for Costa (or at least I'm assuming he is in charge of the last 2.) Curious to see exactly what will be in those last 44 pages.

Costa's only writing 1 more issue: #31. The Death of Optimus Prime is co-written by Barber and Roche, presumably to lead into their two new ongoing series.

Paul053
2011-11-29, 03:28 PM
Not a bad issue but I don't enjoy that much either.

First of all, really sad to say the ending is really what I predicted And to predict the end, please don't me unleash the power of Matrix and save the day. Well, guess there aren't much options here I guess.

Rodimus (Hot Rod) is growing here but I hate he kept saying "I know it, I just know it". It just feels like copying too much from the movie.

Prime and Galvatron are huge disappointments. But well, one is going to die and one is dead.

The art is okay and I'm glad it's over. Same does Costa. Oh wait, one more issue left.

One positive side, Cyclonus rocks.

zigzagger
2011-12-03, 12:20 AM
This is your all purpose Transformers #31 reaction and discussion thread.

Preview @ Newsarama (http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album_view.php?gid=3848).

Issue is scheduled for December 7.

Red Dave Prime
2011-12-03, 04:50 AM
Wow, that's a bit lame. Seems we're back to big panels again. Hopefully it picks up.

Heinrad
2011-12-03, 06:00 AM
Is it wrong to hope that Alpha Trion's storytelling session is going to be interrupted by him getting a punch in the chops?

Ironhide: -cracks knuckles-

Terome
2011-12-03, 07:27 PM
I don't know, I think it's kinda cool. I mean, it's the first interesting idea I've seen in these previews and the artwork is real nice. Also, I've just had a big meal and am feeling very happy.

Bucquoy
2011-12-04, 08:27 PM
Fast pacing looks different, indeed.

Those three are generics, or did I not recognize them?

The badges: Interesting, given the context.

Red Dave Prime
2011-12-04, 10:15 PM
While I like the art I just find the big panels mean that what could take 3 pages takes 5-6. And IDW have abused Splash Pages far, far too much. Also found that bringing up the battle between Megs and Prime in escalation as a big point a little moot as Megs and prime describe far worse in chaos theory? Heck, I'd even rate the battle between them in AHM as being more of a dark moment.

If this is the starting point for the new books though it's a much bigger restart than I expected. Seems like a lot of time has passed. Seems like Cybertron is in a real golden age so maybe this issue is set some time after the new books as well.

PS - is it me or are the splash pages being drawn by the original artists - The one from Origin really looks like Milne and the action in the Prime/megs one is really like Su. Either that or Casey is doing a great job of making each splash represent the original books really well.

Terome
2011-12-05, 12:54 AM
PS - is it me or are the splash pages being drawn by the original artists - The one from Origin really looks like Milne and the action in the Prime/megs one is really like Su. Either that or Casey is doing a great job of making each splash represent the original books really well.

I think that's all Casey. He is good at this.

While I like the art I just find the big panels mean that what could take 3 pages takes 5-6. And IDW have abused Splash Pages far, far too much.

While I reckon that Costa in particular is a ridiculous hog when it comes to space, it serves this story quite well. It's set up to be a story for children so the storybook style is appropriate.

If this is the starting point for the new books though it's a much bigger restart than I expected. Seems like a lot of time has passed. Seems like Cybertron is in a real golden age so maybe this issue is set some time after the new books as well.

It seems that the new books will be set well before the framing sequence for #31.

inflatable dalek
2011-12-06, 09:56 AM
Ah, so that's why Alpha Trion usually has a beard, to cover up the most smugly punchable face in all Transformerdom.

And if this is an extreme flashforward... Isn't that a bit of a risk considering IDW's "Oh crap, people don't like what we're doing, ABANDON ARC! ABANDON ARC! Who's the next writer on the list we can big up as the saviour we're fully behind?" tendencies? It stands more than a good chance of going the way of Furman's Fully Canon Mosaic.

Terome
2011-12-06, 04:54 PM
And if this is an extreme flashforward... Isn't that a bit of a risk considering IDW's "Oh crap, people don't like what we're doing, ABANDON ARC! ABANDON ARC! Who's the next writer on the list we can big up as the saviour we're fully behind?" tendencies? It stands more than a good chance of going the way of Furman's Fully Canon Mosaic.

Yeah, I don't doubt it for a second. Is it the nature of the human spirit to stand tall in the face of certain defeat or is something deeper, a property of life itself? It is in these cutesy framing sequences that chemistry staves off entropy. But to what end? Only to ultimately accelerate it.

StarscreamX
2011-12-06, 07:45 PM
So is Wheelie being the first to see the Great Destroyer a reference to Unicron?

And I wonder if that's going to tie in with the fact that he's apparently met up with the Quintessons, judging from his spotlight, the ship he had in the ongoing and his claim that he came to the planet Hot Rod was on "By trial"

After all the Quintessons were The servants of Unicron in the movie (Even if that wound up making bugger all sense later in the cartoon) so maybe the comics are going to tie the two together as well?

inflatable dalek
2011-12-06, 08:19 PM
And if I wanted to be a complete git I'd point out Prime didn't die in Escalation. Some other characters briefly thought he did, for about three minutes before almost instantly being proven wrong.

Terome
2011-12-06, 08:26 PM
And if I wanted to be a complete git I'd point out Prime didn't die in Escalation. Some other characters briefly thought he did, for about three minutes before almost instantly being proven wrong.

Nah, stuff like that only gets amplified over time. I once went missing at a party for about three minutes after a particularly interesting scuffle and the rumours of my death were thick in the air for the rest of the evening. People who weren't there still assume something tremendously dramatic and cinematic happened and will ask me about it from time to time. They get a bit disappointed when I say I just went into another room for a bit.

Those G2 chaps have probably made a hundred movies of that day in Brasnya, each one piling on the details.

inflatable dalek
2011-12-09, 10:58 PM
Nah, stuff like that only gets amplified over time.

If that's what they were aiming for having the art (which is presumably meant to be a POV shot of what the G2 guys are imagining happened) look exactly like what happened in the original story is slightly self defeating. Which is a shame as there'd actually be some mileage in a "He said/She said" issue (albeit heavily indebted to that there classic Batman campfire issue), but what it looks like we're getting is the comic equivalent of that episode of My Two Dads where they got stuck in a lift and remembered things from previous shows.

Knightdramon
2011-12-09, 11:46 PM
Read it, just one question that really matters as the issue was pretty straight forward.

WTF IS UP WITH THAT REVOLTECH MEGATRON COVER?

It looks to me like the stupidest, laziest cover IDW has put out, and that's including the exclusive devastator versus arcee versus grimlock covers they put out...in Infiltration 1-2.

Is there a point, when the issue has two regularly drawn covers, to put a crappy figure, not even posed at all [only thing REV Meg is famous for] on the cover?

Seriously man, WTF? It makes the issue look like one of those cheap C-grade printed at your uncle's printer and stapled together leaflets fan fiction artists put together to distribute for free at small comic conventions.

Ulcrain
2011-12-10, 12:38 AM
I think there must of been a mistake since Cover A looks much more like a RI cover while the real RI cover looks much more like a normal one. That said the Ironhide one is quite nice.

Ulcrain
2011-12-10, 12:40 AM
Probuly one of my favorite moments is when they pretty much lampshade that D-Void is a stupid name.

Terome
2011-12-11, 05:44 PM
If that's what they were aiming for having the art (which is presumably meant to be a POV shot of what the G2 guys are imagining happened) look exactly like what happened in the original story is slightly self defeating. Which is a shame as there'd actually be some mileage in a "He said/She said" issue (albeit heavily indebted to that there classic Batman campfire issue), but what it looks like we're getting is the comic equivalent of that episode of My Two Dads where they got stuck in a lift and remembered things from previous shows.

Well, I've read the whole issue now and it fails to say anything interesting at all or use its distinctive format in an artful way. Oh well. Let's move on, and keep that Collier guy, because he's a keeper.

Red Dave Prime
2012-01-05, 12:48 PM
Just picked up this issue - slightly out of order as I have DOOP (tee hee) already. And boy, does this one suck. Considering how interesting Roberts made Prime and Megs recapping old war stories, its no suprise that costa, when given the same task albeit with actual events to grab from, he produces a dull, bland flop of a comic that wouldnt fit out of place in the AHM coda series.

The art is the highlight by a mile but I do find that there is a strange sterile look to Collier. His panels all seem very exact and a little flat. Although to be fair, his flashback panels work out much better. Maybe he keeps getting shit one-shots?

So not much more to say other than this will be forgotten pretty quickly. But one niggle that I have to point to is that Optimus is always refered to as "Prime". Even Alpha Trion does it. Despite the fact that there is a different prime before and after good old optimus. Always bugs me.

relak
2012-03-30, 12:42 AM
As much as i like digital painted artwork for Transformers, i still prefer EJ Su's art in Spotlight Sideswipe than Livio Ramondelli. His coloring is awesome, very dark and edgy, but his bots tend to look a bit too "square" and disproportionate.

I know some people are gonna slap me on for this but some panels look like a squarer version of Pat Lee's transformers.

Why oh why didnt they get EJ Su back............at least for the final Pax Cybertronia issue.
Coller is a nice artist but his spread pages depicting the pivotal moments in Tf comic history lacked "punch".
Like what Red Dave Prime said. Feels a little sterile.

inflatable dalek
2012-03-30, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I think it's a shame Su got damned by association and was chucked out with Furman, his work was always extremely good and with a sense of scale that would have actually suited AHM.

Red Dave Prime
2012-03-30, 06:30 PM
Loved his work on the early series alright but the last 2 issues he did looked so sloppy in comparison ( spotlight prowl and ongoing 7 i think)

relak
2012-03-31, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I think it's a shame Su got damned by association and was chucked out with Furman, his work was always extremely good and with a sense of scale that would have actually suited AHM.

I figured for AHM they wanted a look that was more in line with the G1 cartoon. Guido Guidi's art style was the most like that so i guess thats why they chose him.

OR perhaps Guidi totally begged IDW for the job. He did mention in an interview in "ARt of IDW's Transformers" that he would kill to work on a Decepticon centric story. Guess AHM was supposed to be his "dream gig".

Red Dave>>>>Spotlight Prowl was Su trying out a new art style. He said so himself.

A bit off topic but Anyone knows what E J Su is doing now? hope he's not completely out of the comi business though.

Red Dave Prime
2012-03-31, 12:42 AM
I get that he wanted to try a new style - I just don't think it worked at all. Each to their own I guess. Certainly doesn't take away from the stellar work he has done otherwise.

For my taste his Prime and Megatron are the best - particular the fight in Escalation.

relak
2012-03-31, 02:03 AM
I get that he wanted to try a new style - I just don't think it worked at all. Each to their own I guess. Certainly doesn't take away from the stellar work he has done otherwise.

For my taste his Prime and Megatron are the best - particular the fight in Escalation.

Yea, looked like he was trying to go for a more american style in the vein of Mike Mignola for Spotlight Prowl.

Pity about the colors in Escalation though. Didnt quite like Zac Atkinson's washed out coloring.

Su Wont be the first artist who suddenly switched art styles though.
Remember Don figuroea?

inflatable dalek
2013-06-05, 10:39 PM
I have now read the entire Mike Costa run. Who wants to touch me?

Rather than bumping three threads (and as two of the arcs don't have much to say) my thoughts on all three in here:

Space Opera:

Love the slightly poncy use of classic SF story titles. Nothing better to make the reader hate your work than remind them straight off the bat of a better story.

This was actually moderately harmless, but the sheer disconnect with the Wheelie stuff was just baffling. Why move him from one planet with hostile monsters to another planet with hostile monsters without explanation? Why have his green sidekick vanish without explanation only to give him another new green sidekick (if someone was worried about two rhymers they could have always fixed his translator surely?). I can now almost understand why Barber found this so annoying he's devoted entire EVENT storylines to explaining it.

Almost.

Slightly bizarre that, even at this point, when we see the other side of Galvatron's attack on Rodimus from Heart of Darkness the random zombie army are all Sweeps when they weren't in the original issue. So presumably this wasn't a change made for Chaos as a result of negative reader feedback (as a few things seem to be, you can feel Abnett and Lanning and their ideas being dropped like a hot potato) but a straightforward editorial cock up.

I've already talked a lot about Chaos Theory, so lets just say, this is way, way more dense than anything else in the book. And so, so, so, soooooooooooooo much seeding. There's barely a line that hasn't been paid off somewhere down the road.

Police Action:

I can't actually remember what happened in this one. And I finished it about half an hour ago. I'm amazed the original publication schedule had it between issues of Chaos, the trade ordering makes much more sense. So those of you reading at the time had SHITYOURPANTSBIGEVENT/ mmmmhhuuurrrrnnnnn something with Spike/ SHITYOURPANTSBIGEVENT/ mmmmhhuuurrrnnnn something with Spike/ SHITYOURPANTSBIGEVENT ect through all that? Poor buggers.

Chaos:

Well, not as bad as I was expecting. Lots of really nice stuff around the edges, yes including most of the Roberts written stuff but Costa bits like the handling of Sunstreaker were well done as well.

But, whilst I'm all in favour of New Ideas, if you're going to do a giant Transformer who is going to (or be a proxy for in this case. Possibly. It's not very clear) destroy the entire Universe and is defeated by the Matrix, you might as well just do Unicron surely? At least then you could assume a certain level of audience familiarity and not have to explain his motives. Unlike here where the D-Void is new, but we still don't get an explanation for his motives. Or it's motives. Or even if it had motives.

I also didn't like (and this saddens me as,considering who says it, it's almost certainly a Roberts bit) having characters do the equivalent of going "Here comes a clumsy bit of exposition" in an attempt at post modernism rather than just not writing clumsy exposition. Especially as it managed to make the entire plot (at least in terms of what everyone is trying to do, if not their motives) sound more convoluted than it really was.

Other than that it was mostly a bit dull and flat. And the art was too darkly coloured to make out what was going on a lot of the time. I've also no idea what was supposed to happen to Megatron to make everyone think he's dead when the last we see of him is him shouting "I AM MEGATRON!!!" whilst blasting the gestalt with what appears to be a big purple ejaculation from his crotch area.

So why didn't D-Void just do it's expansion thing back on Gorlam Prime rather than Cybertron? And why did it need to do the whole nega core thing last time it tried it back in the -tions?

There were two bits during this run that I think sums up Costa's big flaw perfectly, one of which I touched upon in my long forgotten comments on the preview to 31 earlier in this thread...

The first is the Space Opera issue narrated by some long written after the fact historical text. Where everything said by the text perfectly matches what happens on panel with nothing whatsoever new or interesting added to it. Now, I know the device of having a retrospective narration that turns out to be humorously wrong compared to what really happened has been done a 1000 times (not least in Last Stand of the Wreckers when we have Fisitron's rules as they run away), especially in comics which lends itself well to the conflict between the writing on the panel and the image within it. But that would have still been more interesting than what we got.

The same applies to the final, where there's huge potential for a distorted by time/memory/hero worship series of images of how the G2 bots regard the past. But everything we get is exactly how it happened first time round (much like this part of the post is doing exactly the same thing I did in my earlier post. I am that episode of My Two Dads).

Both these issues have set up that almost demands more to them than the obvious, but the obvious is all Costa gives. And that just exemplifies his big issue: He's a writer who can't do layers. He has an idea, and works that idea on the most banal and superficial level possible (and worryingly, things like the pretentious issue titles suggest a writer who thinks he's much cleverer than he really is. Something backed up by that Underbase interview where he harps on about "Real" writing and how difficult it is to do it for Transformers).

Not only does this mean nothing remotely unexpected happen in his entire run, but there's also nothing too what he writes. Bad or average, it's all forgettable. At least Heart of Darkness burnt my eyes.

It's actually amazing that, for all I do put the boot into his writing at times, that as an editor Barber has steered the two titles back to the point where they have anything interesting to say at all.

Terome
2013-06-05, 10:56 PM
Love the slightly poncy use of classic SF story titles. Nothing better to make the reader hate your work than remind them straight off the bat of a better story.

Though the use here of 'Out Of The Silent Planet' along with a SF exhibition at the British Library did compel me to read the damn thing and I am glad I did. It's a book that is begging to be made into a bananas anime series. I shall post dog-eared paperback editions of it to famous Japanese animators every day until this happens.

And, in regards to what you say about Costa's writing, C.S. Lewis has the exact opposite problem where he has so many ideas that he wants to get down and examine that he forgets to put in things like a plot or characters. Does Costa know this and has decided to use evocative titles to do the legwork for him?

inflatable dalek
2013-06-05, 11:07 PM
It's possible. I don't think (though it's always possible that, as a big Narnia fan as a kid I did pick them up and have since forgotten. My pulpy SF phase certainly included more than one attempt to read Lensmen...) I've ever read Lewis' space stuff. I'd have just vaguely assumed they wind up finding Jesus on Venus or something.

If you've not read any Alfred Bester (not the one who looks like Walter Koenig) The Stars My Destination is a great book as well. I have The Demolished Man in a big old Marks and Spencers omnibus (also containing Day of the Triffids, 2001 and... I, Robot maybe? The hardback itself is much loved because that's my copy of Triffids, a strong contender for my favourite book) but in twentyish years I've never gotten round to it. Must rectify that soon I think.

If nothing else, Costa at least encourages us to go find better authors.

Terome
2013-06-05, 11:19 PM
If you've not read any Alfred Bester (not the one who looks like Walter Koenig) The Stars My Destination is a great book as well. I have The Demolished Man in a big old Marks and Spencers omnibus (also containing Day of the Triffids, 2001 and... I, Robot maybe? The hardback itself is much loved because that's my copy of Triffids, a strong contender for my favourite book) but in twentyish years I've never gotten round to it. Must rectify that soon I think.

If nothing else, Costa at least encourages us to go find better authors.

No, but it's somewhere on my list. Am mounting up the ambition to read a clutch of Moorcock when I am not beset with exams.

I'd have just vaguely assumed they wind up finding Jesus on Venus or something.

That does actually happen, off-panel, as of course there is a Crucifixion on every world, but as usual Lucifer gets to do the cool stuff. It's a very clear response to Wells' humanism - the characters go out of their way to say as such early on - and it is kind of charming in how it's exactly as short-sighted and parochial as the very stuff it's supposed to be an alternative to. I mostly like Lewis because his world view is so painfully contorted that all his fiction reads like a character study.