PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: The Death of Optimus Prime

zigzagger
2011-12-20, 11:56 PM
This is your all purpose Transformers: Death of Optimus Prime (formerly known as Transformers #125) reaction and discussion thread.

Written by James Roberts & John Barber and art by Nick Roche.

7-page preview is up @ Comics Continuum (http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/1112/20/idwfirsts.htm).

Terome
2011-12-21, 12:44 AM
Wooooooooooo. This is great. Although 'Galactic Positioning System' is kind of nonsensical. It's still a globe, Prime!

They should pay Roche all of the money to keep him on board. Those ship designs alone should be case enough.

Red Dave Prime
2011-12-21, 12:56 AM
Dare I say it, but that is some of Roches best work. And really nicely coloured too. Pity he cant stay on for all of the new ongoing.

Anyway, must pick up the previous issue. Forgot all about it. That might mean 2 comics in one visit. Sad to say, but I'm a little bit giddy :)

Auntie Slag
2011-12-21, 07:01 PM
Loves a bit of Manganese mountains me, and Prime with his cutting remarks; "I remember you ran". Meow!

Ulcrain
2011-12-21, 07:21 PM
Deep sicological studies? Yep definly Roberts. Lets just see though if the Cons bulid Xerxes.

Denyer
2011-12-21, 07:59 PM
Interesting. Seems a fair jumping-on point, although might go back and look for the story before it when I get chance.

Auntie Slag
2011-12-21, 08:27 PM
The backstory is ok ('Chaos' I think its called). I kind of flipped through it at Forbidden Planet. I like it for the inclusion of background characters and its referencing the Kimia science facility.

I'm going to order the Chaos TPB thing from Amazon because it's got the Roberts two-parter of Prime and Megatron. I'm so impressed at the depiction of Prime as a guy who gets things done and takes no certain amount of ****. Its such a refreshing change to Mr. Doubtful about everything Prime I've been brought up with (apart from kick-ass Prime in 'Arrival from Cybertron' and his ass-kicking turn in the '86 movie, decking everyone against a wondersome Stan Bush track).

I love modern day Prime.

StarscreamX
2011-12-27, 07:55 PM
And suddenly, after issues and issues of barely any dialogue, needless splash pages and whiny, annoying little human germs it's as if we're reading a whole different, much better series than the one we've been getting for the past few years.

Prime actually seems like the bloke we read about in the Furman stuff instead of the whiny git who surrendered to a dick like Spike Witwicky and waffled on about how humanity was the only reason the Autobots beat the Decepticons (Despite the fact humanity did sod all but get stepped on and shoot one Decepticon in the face)

Decepticons show up who aren't solely from the first two seasons of the cartoon! Starscream gets dialogue that isn't him cackling and declaring that he will soon be leader of the Decepticons like a panto villain! RATBAT gets dialogue! We get characters doing stuff that isn't just based on bits Mike Costa/Shane McCarthy read off their profiles in Transformers Universe

I love that Rewind not only isn't a cassette in this continuity but apparently has no connection to Blaster, instead being a student of ancient Cybertronian history and a scientist. I also love that everyone thinks Dai Atlas and his lot were mental (Well, they would have to be to save Drift's life really, wouldn't they) and we get a proper explanation for why Prowl is a bit of a prick that isn't just 'Oh, Prowl is the guy who has to stick to the rules, isn't that lame, he's not letting the cool guys have their fun'. Here we learn he's someone who didn't want to even be part of the war but was thrust into it. Knowing that Prowl never even wanted to be an Autobot in the first place, his cold, "Logic above all else" attitude to winning the war makes a LOT more sense. Of course he would want to win the war as quickly as possible.

Whirl shows up as well and he's still a violent prick. Apparently the fact that the last guy he beat up became outer space Hitler and nearly wiped out the Autobots hasn't discouraged him from randomly thumping people who get on his nerves. Which is actually pretty in character from what little we've seen of Whirl so far. He's a sociopath and the type who the Autobots probably needed but didn't particularly want which is most likely why he was stuck on the Wreckers. I'm sure Prowl and others in High Command were hoping he'd get himself killed after getting rid of a few Decepticons, solving both problems at once. It'll be interesting to see how 'bots like him, or Roadbuster or Arcee are going to fit into a world no longer at war. It's hard to imagine Fortress Maximus settling down and becoming a merchant or Hardhead opening up a flower shop

And it looks like Ratbat is being set up to be the next Decepticon leader. Love that idea because Ratbat was terrific fun in the old Marvel stuff, the guy who lead by brains and management skill instead of just dumb brute force. He's also the only Decepticon leader who ever really got a major victory over on the Autobots with no losses on his side

I love the idea of Optimus wanting to be plain old Orion Pax again as well. We've seen what an ass kicker he was before the Matrix, I'm hoping we see more of that in issues to come

Red Dave Prime
2011-12-29, 01:52 AM
Lovely little issue really. Its fun to read, looks wonderful (I stand by my earlier judgement) and opens up the plots to lots of new, genuinely interesting paths. There's lots of threads here that may or may not be followed up and thats part of the appeal. This has a real fresh feel and while it could all go tits up (IDW tm 2005 -2011), this is the most interested I've been in the comic since the start of Furmans work.

Did I mention the artwork is gorgeous?

Terome
2011-12-29, 02:32 PM
This is the first Transformers comic I've bought in ages. It looked to be flying off the shelves in Orbital.

It was damn good! There was a lot going on and it took a decent chunk of time to read and absorb. Nothing felt wasted or superfluous and there were some nice technical details going on with some of the page layouts that I admired.

The set-up for the ongoings was arranged well - Ultra Magnus' motivation is a bit vague for now but I imagine that is intentional. I can believe Rodimus wanting to duck out on responsibility by paradoxically taking on a more distant responsibility. I also really like the idea that Bumblebee is stepping up to this idea of being a leader, which nobody in the story or in the reading audience really expected him to do.

I do wonder how the reveal of the Matrix being the Creation Matrix gels with this concept of the Matrix being a map. Though I do like this idea that the Matrix confers to the Prime all of this useless and ancient Big Info that Optimus has pretty much ignored because he has better things to do.

I mean, they even made the Drift mini seem interesting and relevant, just by thinking about its consequences and how other parties would view the situation. Just like in a real book!

Shrapnel
2011-12-30, 12:59 PM
...I also really like the idea that Bumblebee is stepping up to this idea of being a leader, which nobody in the story or in the reading audience really expected him to do.

I knew Bumbo would step up to the plate the moment he started carrying a cane. :p

Terome
2011-12-30, 06:27 PM
I knew Bumbo would step up to the plate the moment he started carrying a cane.

He is a gentleman - a powerful, useful man. On the Senate floor, he can show them all, or he can point at which development needs to fall.

zigzagger
2012-01-02, 02:22 PM
Can see why some folks were turned off by it. It's a chatty exposition dump. But then, I like set up and comics that take longer than 2 minutes to read, so it's cool. I enjoyed it.

Notes and stuff...

Sideswipe and Whirl hammering on the NAILs (bad pun intended) - The dialogue here is great. It's Roberts usual comedic tone (which is odd, as that scene really shouldn't be funny), with all those nifty little nuances tossed in. I liked that it was Prowl who came up with the term to describe the neutrals. Suits the usual condescending nature of the character, I think.

Honestly, their treatment of the NAILs was kind of shocking.

Prowl (again) -- if there's one thing I got out this book is that it offered a lot more background and insight into his character...and it managed it in only a few panels. Wonderful. Possibly one of my favorite moments.

Ultra Magnus deciding to tag along with Rodimus and company doesn't quite gel with the whole spacecop schtick (though it was Furman's innovation, Costa, Roberts and Roche characterized him that way too). I'd like think he'd want to stick around and help police Cybertron with Prowl - what with 200-odd bored Decepticons running free (thanks to Prowl) and their leader still unaccounted for.

Optimus -- Mmm, yeah, I'm going to wait on this. My feelings are still mixed and I think I need to weigh this one over a bit longer.

Though, I keep seeing the word "emo" thrown around to describe Prime in this book - mostly (though not all) from its detractors, mind you. I'm not so much seeing that. I see an introspective Prime rather than a self-pitying one.

Bumblebee (at Rodimus): "Are you going to have a tantrum and storm off every time you have to do something you disagree with?" - Err, umm...take that Costa?? Okay, it's true that acknowledging this recurring problem with the character isn't quite the same as addressing it - hell, Rodimus is about to go off and do it AGAIN - but that's freakin' hilarious.

"The (Symbollic) Death of Optimus Prime" - Yeeeah, probably not the best title for the book, in my opinion.

Starscream - He doesn't do or say a whole lot here, but this is probably the most sensible I've seen him in quite some time. Dare I say...I liked him here. Ratbat is also setup nicely as a possible contender for power.

Zetca - Huh. Well, that's...awfully obscure. C'mon, admit it. Most of you had to do a wiki search. It's obvious he'll have some part to play in one of the new ongoings, presumably the Team Bumblebee book, but I'm not quite sure what purpose he served here other than, I guess, introducing him (?).

Rewind is adorkable. I want to see more of him.

Terome
2012-01-02, 04:21 PM
The important thing about Rodimus' threat to storm off is that he didn't actually do it. Not until he had Prime's blessing and a Matrix chunk.

I'm convinced that Magnus has something up his sleeve - there are a lot of panels with him listening before he steps forward and volunteers, which even surprises those present.

Red Dave Prime
2012-01-03, 01:34 AM
I'm convinced that Magnus has something up his sleeve

Is it possible that Magnus will be undercover to keep Rodimus Group in line as it ventures out? After all, he didnt police cons against bots, more cons interacting with other species - something that team rodimus will be exposed to much more than the homebirds of team bumblebee.

Other thoughts:
But then, I like set up and comics that take longer than 2 minutes to read, so it's cool. I enjoyed it.

Amen Brother!

Optimus -- Mmm, yeah, I'm going to wait on this. My feelings are still mixed and I think I need to weigh this one over a bit longer.

I really got the feeling of Prime accepting that he is no longer the centre of leadership, both because he is not wanted (by the nails) nor needed (bumblebee looks to be set as a good civil leader). I can see him coming back at some point. Also loved the suggestion that Megatron could be out there as a rogue threat (or maybe I just assumed too much :) )

Starscream - He doesn't do or say a whole lot here, but this is probably the most sensible I've seen him in quite some time. Dare I say...I liked him here. Ratbat is also setup nicely as a possible contender for power.

I kind of think that Starscream may see the new era could allow him a chance to grab power in a different manner - I'm sure he will still be a manipulating prick but he may not be an all out "evil" character.

Either way, I'm really eager to see the first few issues :)

zigzagger
2012-01-03, 04:13 AM
I really got the feeling of Prime accepting that he is no longer the centre of leadership, both because he is not wanted (by the nails) nor needed (bumblebee looks to be set as a good civil leader). I can see him coming back at some point.

This, and I think Prime's allowed to be a little selfish. My concern - or rather, my initial concern is that it felt like we're, once again, treading on familiar territory. But, I think that's more of a personal quibble of mine.

Still, IDW can only come up with so many excuses to write Optimus (and Megatron) out of the book. Furman did it, McCarthy did it, Costa did it, and now Roberts and Barber are doing it. I don't think anyone ever expects it to last - Prime's the franchise's poster boy, after all - but, it's always undone before even having a chance to make any kind of impact.

I kind of think that Starscream may see the new era could allow him a chance to grab power in a different manner - I'm sure he will still be a manipulating prick but he may not be an all out "evil" character.
I hope so. The character seems to be in good hands.

Blackjack
2012-01-03, 12:56 PM
I've read the entire issue, and while it's still fresh in my mind, I just want to say...

Rewind is sooooo cute.

That is all.

Blackjack
2012-01-03, 01:11 PM
Mmmm, it gels so perfectly well with the Costa stuff that you could almost say that it has been planned from the beginning, but we all know that it hasn't. Every single character gets dialogue that is for the win. Quick recap from me...

Optimus Prime is not a whiny emo bitch like in the Costa stories, thank god. Like Roberts' take on him in his origin story, Optimus is very self-instropective, which is extremely good.

Prowl has an actual backstory, and still acts like an amazing prick. We all love Prowl.

Bumblebee as a leader actually works, after thirty-odd issues of the matter flapping around like a dead jellyfish.

Drift is awesome. Yeah, I said that.

Rodimus is still nice to read, and his monologue kind of reconciles the whole Costa affair.

REWIND IS CUTE

Perceptor is still old Perceptor, establishing that while he can still kick ass with his sniper rifle he can also kick your ass in terms of solving sciency problems.

Whirl. Oh god Whirl... Whirl finally cracks a joke, and is all violent and everything. I love Whirl.

Ultra Magnus seems underused. Really after his characterisation as a spacecop strawman I'd expect him to stay with the Prowl-Bumblebee duo instead of cavorting into space with Rodimus and Drift. Probably the only oddity in the whole comic.

Cyclonus! 'I don't belong with them!' Oh ha ha ha ha you rock Roberts, after twenty odd issues of Galvatron's bunch continually referred to as 'Decepticons' by IDW... guess this means Scourge dies? Ah well, never did anything interesting, that idiot Scourge.

Needlenose beats up people.

Starscream is not his cartoon strawman persona, but not his lethargic Matrix-on-the-neck persona either. It's actually quite fun how, like Rodimus, Starscream has actually matured into, dare I say, a proper leader. See how the other leadership candidates -- Soundwave, Shockwave and Bombshell (Bombshell is a big deal in the McCarthy and Costa series despite doing feck all) -- all gather around Starscream?

Ratbat is awesome, gets dialogue, and again is very refreshing to see something that doesn't reek of twenty-five-year old cartoon.

Metalhawk: another relative nobody who's stuck in my head as a full-fledged character. I like it how Nick Roche drew him like something that popped out of an Alex Milne comic.

Zetca is completely unexpected, but awesome nonetheless.

Basically this recaps almost every single plot thread from the Costa ongoing, and with the Earth stories arc, is a far far far neater conclusion than Maximum Dinobots, Revelations or ****ing Coda. Now on to the reboot, where we can safely start anew with this new setting without being burdened about whatever happened to the Swarm or anything like that.

Denyer
2012-01-03, 11:23 PM
Mmm... crap title (would it've killed them to go for "The End of" rather than "The Death of", at least?) but decent setup for the ongoing-in-space, although I fear that the Cybertron-based storyline is going to become the new Earth-based storyline in terms of plot density and interest. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if all of the non-neutrals went off into the wider cosmos, the very loose "mission" forcing them to have to interact.

Liking the crazy cult background stuff being inferred.

"That's what I needed to hear"? Prowl's turning out to be a serious bastard. Again. Cool.

Prime's a character rather than an ideal. Also again. Also cool.

Not a Bumblebee I'm familiar with, but not entirely at odds and it's better to advance than keep repeating potted bios from 20-25 years ago.

Let's see how long IDW can spin this set of plates for.

Terome
2012-01-04, 03:48 AM
Mmm... crap title (would it've killed them to go for "The End of" rather than "The Death of", at least?) but decent setup f

I would have liked 'Optimus Prime goes on holiday,' myself.

Red Dave Prime
2012-01-04, 12:47 PM
optimus prime goes to summer camp?

Optimus primes european vacation?

Optimus primes excellent adventure?

Weekend at primeys?

Shrapnel
2012-01-04, 05:13 PM
optimus prime goes to summer camp?

Optimus primes european vacation?

Optimus primes excellent adventure?

Weekend at primeys?

Optimus Prime's 'ad enough of this sh**.

Paul053
2012-01-05, 05:59 PM
Mmm... crap title (would it've killed them to go for "The End of" rather than "The Death of", at least?)
Marketing purpose I guess? People wanted to see him die more than duck off. But at the end of the road, Transformers franchises cannot be Transformers without OP and Meg. So "The search for Megatron by Optimus Prime"??????

Terome
2012-01-05, 06:40 PM
So "The search for Megatron by Optimus Prime"??????

I'd really like to see a series about Megatron and Optimus Prime's retirement days. It would be a slapstick comedy like 'Grumpy Old Men,' but kind of heartbreaking like 'About Schidmt.'

I am being deadly serious.

zigzagger
2012-01-05, 11:48 PM
Re: The title...

I would've been fine had they gone the opposite and simply went with a reborn/rebirth motif (eg. Simply "Rebirth", or "Orion Pax: Rebirth/Reborn", and so on).

The title they went for? I thought it was bit too, I dunno, shark-jumpy for my tastes. Didn't prevent me from enjoying the issue, though.

I'm convinced that Magnus has something up his sleeve - there are a lot of panels with him listening before he steps forward and volunteers, which even surprises those present.

Oh I'm sure there's some underlying motivation, but I suppose there's also precedent to keep an eye on Rodimus, assuming we haven't hit the reset button.

That, or he's fed up with Prowl's crap. After he set the Cons loose on the rioters, Magnus probably thought, "To hell with this, you sort it out."

Seems unlikely, though.

Not a Bumblebee I'm familiar with, but not entirely at odds and it's better to advance than keep repeating potted bios from 20-25 years ago.

Of course. Though Bumblebee's 'growth' in the ongoing didn't amount to much.

It also didn't help that Optimus, Magnus, Prowl or Rodimus continually undermined or showed him up during his tenure as so-called leader (the entirety of the ongoing).

I'm really not sure where Costa was going with that, to be honest. Always thought 'Bee was kind of a bore in the ongoing. More power to Barber and Roberts (Baberts? Robber?) if they want to further explore what Costa started, I guess.

StarscreamX
2012-01-07, 06:08 PM
Mmmm, it gels so perfectly well with the Costa stuff that you could almost say that it has been planned from the beginning, but we all know that it hasn't. Every single character gets dialogue that is for the win. Quick recap from me...

Optimus Prime is not a whiny emo bitch like in the Costa stories, thank god. Like Roberts' take on him in his origin story, Optimus is very self-instropective, which is extremely good.

Robert's Optimus seems to me to be the perfect mix of the Furman IDW Optimus and the 'Classic' Optimus. He's more pragmatic and I can totally believe that this Optimus would be fine with killing humans/Decepticons (Though only if it was absolutely necessary) but at the same time he doesn't come off as as much of an emotionless prick as the Optimus of Escalation/Devastation did at times

Prowl has an actual backstory, and still acts like an amazing prick. We all love Prowl.

Prowl for the win :clap:

Bumblebee as a leader actually works, after thirty-odd issues of the matter flapping around like a dead jellyfish.

It's nice to see him actually being a leader, rather than the bloke all the Autobots pretend is the leader while actually taking orders from Prime about everything.

Drift is awesome. Yeah, I said that.

If anyone could change Drift from being an annoying git with a generic backstory to being someone who's actually fun to read it's probably Roberts. He's worked miracles with characters with far less personality than Drift, hard as it is to believe that such characters exist

Rodimus is still nice to read, and his monologue kind of reconciles the whole Costa affair.

Rodimus has definitely been getting better since around issue 13, after that bloody awful first six issue arc of 'DUH sure Swindle you look like a trustworthy guy I'll totally help you'

This was probably the best Rodimus has been so far which makes me look forward to the ongoing he's going to be in

REWIND IS CUTE

Rewind as an adorably nerdy history geek is very cute and he's another character I can't wait to see more of in More than Meets the Eye. He reminds me of Ironfist only he geeks out over history instead of Wreckers stories

Perceptor is still old Perceptor, establishing that while he can still kick ass with his sniper rifle he can also kick your ass in terms of solving sciency problems.

HE KICKS ARSE WITH SCIENCE :afro:

Whirl. Oh god Whirl... Whirl finally cracks a joke, and is all violent and everything. I love Whirl.

Whirl is a character I'm interested in, just to see if he really is just a sociopathic thug or if there's more to him.

Cyclonus! 'I don't belong with them!' Oh ha ha ha ha you rock Roberts, after twenty odd issues of Galvatron's bunch continually referred to as 'Decepticons' by IDW...

It's nice to see that at least two people at IDW can actually remember stories that happened less than ten years ago and can be bothered to keep track of their own bloody continuity :)

guess this means Scourge dies? Ah well, never did anything interesting, that idiot Scourge.

Well he did...um...there was a bit in AHM Coda where he was the bumbling henchman and um...he did...THINGS in Heart of Darkness. He got whacked about by Hardhead once I think.

Needlenose beats up people.

Needlenose!

He needs to show up more

Starscream is not his cartoon strawman persona, but not his lethargic Matrix-on-the-neck persona either. It's actually quite fun how, like Rodimus, Starscream has actually matured into, dare I say, a proper leader. See how the other leadership candidates -- Soundwave, Shockwave and Bombshell (Bombshell is a big deal in the McCarthy and Costa series despite doing feck all) -- all gather around Starscream?

This is the first time in IDW's 125 issues that I can remember Starscream having dialogue that wasn't basically a rehash of his personality from the cartoon. Except for maybe Devastation issue six where he's more snarky and sarcastic than openly treacherous and AHM 12 where he and Megatron reach an understanding that Costa promptly forgets about one issue later

If we never get another Starscream as the panto villain traitor who wants to be leader story it'll be too soon. He's been stuck with this personality ever since Furman gave the Marvel comics version it

Ratbat is awesome, gets dialogue, and again is very refreshing to see something that doesn't reek of twenty-five-year old cartoon.

Ratbat as a former senator is one of the more interesting ideas to come out of Megatron: Origin and I'm hoping that he might be a potential Decepticon leader in the future of the book. Ratbat as leader was one of the more fun plots from the Marvel stuff

Metalhawk: another relative nobody who's stuck in my head as a full-fledged character. I like it how Nick Roche drew him like something that popped out of an Alex Milne comic.

Zetca is completely unexpected, but awesome nonetheless.

Metalhawk and Zetca were two of the nice little treats in this comic book, characters who have never shown up in the comics before and in the case of Zetca have never had any appearances in previous fiction. I can see Zetca gravitating toward the Decepticons with his pissed off attitude toward the Autobots and Metalhawk is like a less annoying version of the Circle of Light from the Drift mini I'd like to see more of him

inflatable dalek
2012-01-23, 07:25 PM
I've just ebayed both this and MMTE issue 1. Back in the saddle, for now at least. Annoyingly the cheapest ebay seller with it was one who took a wacky attitude towards the last time I tried to buy indervidual issues with Wreckers by not actually sending them and only responding in enquires in pidgen English (despite being a UK based seller).

Wish I'd remembered One Shall Stand before I'd ordered though, Bax is usually the man.

Denyer
2012-01-23, 07:56 PM
He's selling incentive cover subs at basically the same price as the regular ones, too. Although if you go for that, be aware that they may arrive after the regular ones.

inflatable dalek
2012-01-25, 09:10 PM
Hmm, I'm in two minds about this. Lots of good ideas and it's all well written, but all the Autobots are giant cocks. Heroes who aren't whiter than white is nice, but you've got to have some likeable leads and I can't see any reason to want to read another page of the up themselves whinney bitches that are Bumblebee and Rodimus. If I'd have been Prime I'd have just banged their heads together. Only Rewind and Perceptor managed to avoid this problem, and that's because they didn't say much. If MTMTE 1 can't manage at least one fully likeable lead I can get on side with I can't see me bothering with it.

I also don't think it helped that it was mostly setting up the situation on Cybertron, which is the book I'm least interested in.

Summerhayes
2012-02-08, 04:52 PM
I picked this one up as it seemed like a good jumping-on point and was very happy with the purchase. My own experience with TF comics doesn't go beyond Marvel UK and a tpb of LSotW, but from what I hear from everyone else, it sounds like they mostly consisted of cheaply cashing in on "optimus and the autobots fight megatron over and over". So I basically went into this blind. And considering how often Prime dies, I wasn't expecting much originality.

The metaphorical death of prime; done well, I thought. Prime managed to be a big damn hero despite staying completely non-violent.

Bumblebee and Rodimus actually both seemed to have stories I want to read. The bots and cons aren't 'at war' per se so I've got my fingers crossed we might actually have a good read on our hands. I've got MTMTE#1 in my bag to read on my lunch break and I'm going in with high hopes.

Now I've just got to find a proper comic subscription because eBaying every issue will be expensive and put me a week behind everyone else.

"There neve

Summerhayes
2012-02-08, 11:12 PM
Okay, so apparently if I try and do a long post my phone cuts it in half.

I didn't really notice Rewind on my first read-through, but after reading through this thread then going back for a second read of the issue; yeah, he's babealicious.

"There never was a golden age, stop kidding yourself!" Don't tell me there's not an addded layer to that line . . .

relak
2012-03-30, 12:25 AM
NO!!!

I totally missed out on the variant cover (the remake of the Marvel TF issue 1 cover).

I liked how the story handled his "Death" more in a symbolical way than another actual death. Its something fresh IMO cos really, if it ended with Optimus dying once again the impact would have benn totally lost.

At first i thought he would commit suicide at the end. lol.
I mean, it wouldnt have been the first time Prime commits suicide in a comic

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-03-30, 06:05 PM
A damn good read, I just wish I understood why it seems like everyone and their brother loves Nick Roche's art, it simply doesn't work for me.

relak
2012-03-31, 12:29 AM
A damn good read, I just wish I understood why it seems like everyone and their brother loves Nick Roche's art, it simply doesn't work for me.

For me, i guess its cos of Transformers Animated.

If i could live with that i can live with Roche's art any day.

Plus, you must admit that his Transformers are possibly the most expressive among all artists. It actually looks like a cartoon.

Red Dave Prime
2012-03-31, 12:47 AM
Plus, you must admit that his Transformers are possibly the most expressive among all artists. It actually looks like a cartoon.

This.

For me, I love the energy and vibrancy . I get that its not to everyones taste but I find it works really well. Not every panel he does works but when it does it's excellent. (spotlight Shockwave is particularly fantastic)

Oddly enough, I would rate Kups Spotlight as his most interesting even though its very different to his usual style.

relak
2012-03-31, 02:08 AM
This.

For me, I love the energy and vibrancy . I get that its not to everyones taste but I find it works really well. Not every panel he does works but when it does it's excellent. (spotlight Shockwave is particularly fantastic)

Oddly enough, I would rate Kups Spotlight as his most interesting even though its very different to his usual style.

True, i have friends who almost worship Don Fig's movier-style designs on the grounds that they "look more realistic".

IMO, as long as it fits the tone of the story and narrative.
For example. the only Nick Roche work i didnt like was, ironicly, this. Death of Optimus Prime.

Death of Optimus Prime (or DOOP. lol) was pretty much all talk very dialogue heavy. I felt a more brooding style like E J Su's painted art or James Riaz would have fit better.

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-03-31, 09:31 PM
True, i have friends who almost worship Don Fig's movier-style designs on the grounds that they "look more realistic".

IMO, as long as it fits the tone of the story and narrative.
For example. the only Nick Roche work i didnt like was, ironicly, this. Death of Optimus Prime.

Death of Optimus Prime (or DOOP. lol) was pretty much all talk very dialogue heavy. I felt a more brooding style like E J Su's painted art or James Riaz would have fit better.

Actually I find Roche better at dialoge scenes than just about everyone not named Alex Miline.That said IMHO he can't draw a fight a scene worth a damn.