PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Autocracy

Terome
2012-02-01, 11:31 PM
Has anyone delved into this yet?

I'm not impressed with it, personally. Being incredibly heavy-handed is the start of its problems. Zeta Prime's big evil plan in #2 is a completely useless gun straight out of a first person shooter. It's a little like Axe Cop minus the charm or imagination.

I think I'm enjoying Livio's friendly thread (http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=11129) over at the IDW boards more than the comic itself.

inflatable dalek
2012-02-02, 10:09 AM
I do adore every single mention of Zeta Prime as he has a tendancy to make "He wasn't in the Marvel lineage!" people cry even though there's nothing firm to say there weren't 80 million Prime's between Sentinel and Optimus in the IDWverse...

Whilst the idea (short pacey action stuff) sounds like it could be fun, I can't get much enthusiasm up for it. Mind, I doubt my ancient creaking PC could handle either the software or the comic without collapsing in a corner and crying "Mummy" so that's fairly academic.

Terome
2012-02-02, 01:00 PM
I do adore every single mention of Zeta Prime as he has a tendancy to make "He wasn't in the Marvel lineage!" people cry even though there's nothing firm to say there weren't 80 million Prime's between Sentinel and Optimus in the IDWverse...

The big problem I have with Zeta Prime is that he's unnecessary as a character - the role of 'Brutal Prime who is killed by Megatron' is the same as Sentinel. Though I suppose it is a symptom of a society in a very bad place that they have gone through three Primes in the space of what seems to be a few years.

Whilst the idea (short pacey action stuff) sounds like it could be fun, I can't get much enthusiasm up for it. Mind, I doubt my ancient creaking PC could handle either the software or the comic without collapsing in a corner and crying "Mummy" so that's fairly academic.

It's not much more than seven megs of jpegs strung together. And it's so cheap that it's not something one is likely to beat oneself up over when the comic turns out to be kinda dumb.

It is an example of solid pacing, though. Each chapter definitely gets its ideas down on the table with minimum fuss.

Knightdramon
2012-02-02, 07:12 PM
Read it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed that IDW is taking a chance at printing material around the [IMHO] best and most intriguing time in the TF mythos.

When we got Megatron: Origins, we saw Sentinel Prime as a mostly prick-ish Prime. As we got sneak peaks at those before and [now] after him, he's coming off much better to the point I feel almost sorry for him.

Nova was a supremacist, almost tyrant-esque leader who essentially wanted to mould the entire world in their image.

Nominus we haven't seen much of yet, but he did come off negatively. If I read the two [ongoing issues] prequels to Prime and Megatron, he went into hiding to test the Matrix even more. And he was a Prime with an aerial mode and tons of ornamental detailing, which induces a higher level of authority and\or lineage. Whether or not he died stupidly by the Senate is still up to debate, my guess is that the actual explosion hurt him much more severely than intended in his mind. Just so the senate could play around with the matrix, and in turn...

Sentinel was the chief of security at the time, his promotion to Prime did not include a matrix as when Megatron tore him up he got nothing. He operated in Kaon, not Iacon, in a police headquarters\prison station. By the time he was a Prime he was more or less fed up with the senate as he moaned about them to Prowl and basically gave them the finger when Megatron broke out, blasting into a storage and getting the apex armour to destroy Megatron.

Zeta operates [as seen in this issue] in Iacon, not Kaon, with a few leftovers Senators who don't have any high\class design, actually has the matrix and is hell bent on taking Megatron down and restoring order as it was. By this time the balance of power has shifted and instead on relying on the Senate like Nominus and Sentinel, he pretty much has complete freedom over them.

Also interesting is, that by those we've seen so far, they all have "angelic" forms via wings or protrusions, or aerial alt modes, whilst Sentinel and Optimus [the "by chance" Primes] have essentially rough armoured forms.

Just my two cents, and thoughts, so far.

Denyer
2012-02-02, 07:36 PM
http://idwpublishing.com/digitalcomics/transformers/

Any of these I can read on a PC without another application or one that's minimally intrusive? Making people jump through hoops is unlikely to increase sales... has anyone suggested they sell PDFs with customer details embedded? That won't protect anything either, but it's been an effective honesty box for other publishers.

Although presumably it'll be in trade relatively soon. First couple of issues look interesting enough.

It's not much more than seven megs of jpegs strung together.
Straightforward to bust out of the container?

Cliffjumper
2012-02-02, 09:15 PM

CDisplay can run a 22-page comic on pretty much anything I find. Even Baron Von Lappentop, who contains about 2kg of dust and fag ash can handle CBRs. You can have him if you want. He's genuinely a Baron, of a small hamlet in Luxembourg. At least that's what he tells me. He does explode whenever I fire up FIFA: Road to the World Cup '98, though.

inflatable dalek
2012-02-02, 09:29 PM
If it's as simple as people are saying I might give it a go on the old girl.

And try downloading the issue onto my computer as well.

It might work on my phone as well I suppose, but how readable it'll be on a Galaxy Fit screen I'll never know.

@Denyer, the comic is supposed to be avaliable from at least one other online comic seller than IDW direct, it might be simpler to get if from one of those instead.

Denyer
2012-02-02, 09:52 PM
Had a quick scout around...

Comixology has a tag at the end of checkout that says "I understand that I am purchasing digital comics to read on iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire, or the Web" and Graphicly is Adobe Air, or a Chrome add-on wrapper, or apparently Flash from having just looked at a free comic.

By CBR, Cliffy's talking about someone having pulled the images from one of those interfaces and put it into a format that can be viewed by any device with software that can show JPEGs inside an archive container. CDisplay is a now-venerable example that offers pretty much all of the options you could want to adjust size or flick through pages.

It generally sucks that the best reading experience comes from pirated copies. Having established that it's of interest, will check out a trade when it's collected.

Cliffjumper
2012-02-02, 10:11 PM
And try downloading the issue onto my computer as well.

I've sent you, like, three trillion discs of comic scans, and probably remembered to put CDisplay on at least one of them. Go dig one out, forget this Transformers shit and read Zenith or that issue of X-Men where aliens invade Australia and no-one cares. That way you can test whether the thing's up to it.

Terome
2012-02-03, 02:23 AM
Straightforward to bust out of the container?

To be honest, I put my coins in, didn't even look at the download, then went straight over to the torrent sites to get a CBR. That's a slightly arcane way of getting it but it makes me happy.

When we got Megatron: Origins, we saw Sentinel Prime as a mostly prick-ish Prime. As we got sneak peaks at those before and [now] after him, he's coming off much better to the point I feel almost sorry for him.

I got the impression that Sentinel was the catspaw of the Senate who felt resentful over being their choice of 'guy who is under our thumb.'

Sentinel was the chief of security at the time, his promotion to Prime did not include a matrix as when Megatron tore him up he got nothing.

Though it's not always the case, I think that IDW Megatron's prevailing attitude towards the Matrix is that it is a symbol of something he is not especially fond of and so treats it with disdain. He's passed up powerful toys that conflict with his values a few times, and there is a significant amount of uncertainty that the IDW Matrix does anything useful at all.

I'll say one thing about all these Pre-Optimuses: The less we know about them, the more interesting they are.

inflatable dalek
2012-02-04, 02:08 PM
issue 1 read (on the old fashioned windows picture display software thingey on my computer, I will try out CD Display at some point but this worked fine for me now).

I liked the faux painted look, and after a worrying first page where, despite the short running time we got some pointless and almost Joel Schumacher Batman panels of Prime arming up it rattled along nicely. It was also good to see Swindle as more than just a Del Boy IN SPACE and show a bit of backbone. And is the new IDW theme Bumblebee destroying people's heads?

The big problem isn't so much with this comic particularly, but I'm a bit bored with morally ambiguous Autobots. Sure, shades of grey is nice and all, but I'm feeling a bit brow beaten with it now. We had it in Megatron: Origin (well, issue 1 anyway, after that Megatron acting out of opression sort of got forgotten and was replaced with "Hnnng"), as a recurring theme in McCarthy's work and now Robots in Disguise. Any shock value in Orion Pax thinking he's Jack Bauer has been a little lost. I'm not especially excited by the thought of Zeta Prime being an arse in part 2.

Terome
2012-02-04, 02:22 PM
The big problem isn't so much with this comic particularly, but I'm a bit bored with morally ambiguous Autobots. Sure, shades of grey is nice and all, but I'm feeling a bit brow beaten with it now. We had it in Megatron: Origin (well, issue 1 anyway, after that Megatron acting out of opression sort of got forgotten and was replaced with "Hnnng"), as a recurring theme in McCarthy's work and more Robots in Disguise. Any shock value in Orion Pax thinking he's Jack Bauer has been a little lost. I'm not especially excited by the thought of Zeta Prime being an arse in part 2.

The thing which gets me is that there's no reason for them to be acting this way. I understand that the writers are mirroring the slide into totalitarianism that we're seeing in the West and that's all well and good. However, there are some pretty interesting historical reasons why that is happening - we have midnight, jackbooted drug raids because of the Opium Wars and colonialism fallout. We're still dealing in a very real way with the compromises and expenses of the Second World War. Much of the Cold War and the response to the rise of Communism came about due to divided loyalties between extraordinary personalities like MacArthur, Truman and LeMay (who, by the way, is the closet thing to Grimlock that recent history has produced, a truly terrifying man). Police brutality is a complicated mix of media, public health, psychology and economics, all of which shift and ebb with each new generation.

To be blunt, I'm not sure that the writers have a good enough grasp on what is going on in the world to describe it effectively with science fiction. They should either make up their own worlds properly or read a damn book.

Blackjack
2012-02-04, 03:06 PM
Read the first issue (chapter, whatever) and wasn't too impressed. The Livio painted art, like the one in Chaos, always impressed me, but this reeks of pulling plot threads from the now-departed ongoing... Roberts' backstory on Optimus Prime, Costa using Swindle as a major character... It reeks too much as IDW trying to cash in on the popularity of James Roberts' pre-war story, as well as the upcoming Fall for Cybertron game, to have a story set in the pre-war.

Oh, and Bumblebee acts in a way that isn't particularly out of character, but is again inconsistent. Yay.

Zeta Prime... I don't like him. If Sentinel (from what little we saw of him in Origins) was complacent, Zeta's just being a crazy little dick. We all know he's going to die, just like Sentinel and Nominus.

Nominus is before Sentinel, Zeta is after Sentinel, right? This takes place after Megatron Origin, so since Starscream killed the Senate (or whatever) then, the new Senate (or whatever) are complete idiots for letting him in. 'Course, the day a non-Roche, non-Roberts, non-Barber IDW author can get the hang of continuity is the day pigs fly.

Hopefully this doesn't flop apart.

Grayfox
2012-02-04, 09:57 PM
so since Starscream killed the Senate (or whatever) then, the new Senate (or whatever) are complete idiots for letting him in.

As Livio explained on IDW forum, Starscream killed everybody on Kaon Senate... thus leaving no witnesses to tell anybody about what he did. This Senate does not know he's a Decepticon.

But the Prime thing is still confusing to me.

Knightdramon
2012-02-05, 09:30 AM
It reeks too much as IDW trying to cash in on the popularity of James Roberts' pre-war story, as well as the upcoming Fall for Cybertron game, to have a story set in the pre-war.

And why is that a bad thing? Or why is that surprising? We got issues dealing with Megatron and Prime before the start of the war, *most* of us loved them, IDW listened in and made more.

I, for one, love the little windows we've been offered the past years to peek in Cybertron's past, be it a few panels in Drift, Spotlight Blurr, or the two ongoing issues. Since IDW has given a pretty decent reason for their Decepticons to rise and rebel, it goes without saying that the Autobots against them have to be corrupt and morally ambiguous, at least in the first phase of the war.

inflatable dalek
2012-02-05, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure if Starscream's presence really works with Megatron: Origin even if we go with the fairly straightforward retcon of it only being a local senate rather than the implied planetary one. Starscream was after all, part of Megatron's gladiatorial team, as featured in the best selling video series of the fights. As with Ironhide knowing and working under Orion Pax and Zeta forgetting poor old Sentinel Prime when talking about his predecessor I just don't think Dille's that bothered about continuity. Shame it's down to the artist of all people to try and explain things though.

To be blunt, I'm not sure that the writers have a good enough grasp on what is going on in the world to describe it effectively with science fiction. They should either make up their own worlds properly or read a damn book.

I think that's where Origin fell down, it had the best chance to create this world and set thing up properly and dropped the ball badly. That's why the throughline doesn't work so well.

I think Chaos Theory handled it best by just showing the oppresion wasn't part of a moustache swirling EVIL but more a sin of ommision, that guy who, despite otherwise seems a nice robot, accidentally insults Megatron when interviewing him feels much more real than anything else thus far.

That's actually one of my worries about Whirl in MTMTE, the nuttier and nuttier he seems the more we lose the idea he was just a bored thug out of his depth in Chaos Theory. Hopefully future issues will show he's degenerated over time though.

As for issue 2 of Autocracy... a bit of a bridging issue really. Hopefully it'll pick up again for 3. It was nice to see Omega from Doctor Who leading the Autobots though.

Red Dave Prime
2012-02-06, 09:17 PM
Starscream was after all, part of Megatron's gladiatorial team, as featured in the best selling video series of the fights

Nice.

That's actually one of my worries about Whirl in MTMTE, the nuttier and nuttier he seems the more we lose the idea he was just a bored thug out of his depth in Chaos Theory. Hopefully future issues will show he's degenerated over time though.

He certainly seems a lot more psycho in MTMTE #1. I imagine he starts out as a thug who went unchecked and through being allowed to be as brutal as he wanted got more and more messed up. We'll see.

Does anybody know if this is coming out in paper form? While I like having cbr files on my tablet, I do prefer to have a paper version - particularly when the art is nice (as this one is). I'm guessing we'll get a collected version at some point?

EDIT: Just a thought on the grand scheme of corrupt autobots fighting valiant decepticons and all those morally dubious shades of gray that IDW are so found of, I hope at some point they have Megatron and his boys do a few things which truly shock the general cybertron populous. Its fine saying that they were a reaction to a suppressive state but at some point the decepticons need to justify what turned them into the true villains of the piece.

StarscreamX
2012-02-11, 02:47 PM
I'm fine with IDW trying to introduce some moral grey to the Autobot Decepticon war and all that because I think it makes for a more interesting story than Megatron just being a mental warmonger who decided to start a war for shits and giggles. But the problem is, apart from Megatron in the Chaos Theory issue focusing on him and Drift in his absymal mini series we haven't actually SEEN any Decepticons who joined up because they wanted a better Cybertron

All the Decepticons we've seen so far have been self interested power hungry dicks or nutters who joined so they could carry a big gun and blow shit up. And obviously there will be some like that, just like the Autobots have got some like that. Like Whirl, Fortress Maximus, Impactor etc

For the whole morally grey thing to work, we need at least SOME Decepticons who had understandable reasons for joining Megatron. So far almost all the Decepticons we've seen fall into two categories

1) Brain dead thugs

2) Bloody nutters

I think Chaos Theory handled it best by just showing the oppresion wasn't part of a moustache swirling EVIL but more a sin of ommision, that guy who, despite otherwise seems a nice robot, accidentally insults Megatron when interviewing him feels much more real than anything else thus far.

It's a lot more more believable

I get the feeling Whirl's mental state has a lot to do with the years spent with the Wreckers, indulging in increasingly brutal missions that have probably done serious damage to a guy who was already probably a bit mental

And then getting kicked off the Wreckers was probably the final nail in the coffin as his one outlet for all the violent impulses the Autobots had found useful while he was a Wrecker got taken away

As for issue 2 of Autocracy... a bit of a bridging issue really. Hopefully it'll pick up again for 3. It was nice to see Omega from Doctor Who leading the Autobots though.

They should have known there would be trouble when they chose the guy who got stuck in a black hole and went nuts to be the next Prime

Red Dave Prime
2012-05-27, 11:36 PM
Just read issues 1-10 of this and while its got quite a few flaws, its been quite engrossing. Art is clearer than the chaos saga which helps, but I always liked that style anyway. Seems like the kind of story that if put under a bit of scrutiny will show up lots of continuity errors but as a broad stroke of history it works quite well.

Anyone else kept up with it?

Terome
2012-05-27, 11:53 PM
I have not been keeping up on account of it being dreadful.

relak
2012-05-28, 02:43 AM
All the Decepticons we've seen so far have been self interested power hungry dicks or nutters who joined so they could carry a big gun and blow shit up.

You think ALL soldiers join up with the intention to protect their nation? Some just wanna blow stuff up.

IMO that gives a very decent explanation as to the dissention within the Decepticon's ranks.
Cos each con signed up for a different reason (like Overlord, who literally just wants to kill bots) those reasons might not be in line with Megatron's ideals, hence the dissention.

Red Dave Prime
2012-06-22, 12:42 PM
So the final part of this hit yesterday. Anyone here read it? Hope so, because IDW were oh so clever with the final battle between Prime and Megatron.

Despite a rather poor finish I enjoyed some of this. Art was suitably gloomy and the middle issues are quite fun. It does effectively rule out Blurs spotlight but thats no great loss. I'm sure what the implication is with Metroplex at the end its as if the idea is that it leads into Ironhide while skipping the incidents of Metroplexs own spotlight. Speaking of the big city fella, where was he when Thunderwing happened? (or was it Thunderwing who caused Metroplex to flee with Alpha Trion?)

For its own good though, IDW should stop going back in time with its transformers universe. Because they inevitably have to use well-known bots it all gets too silly that everyone major never dies and they all in fact knew each other.

Terome
2012-06-22, 12:57 PM
For its own good though, IDW should stop going back in time with its transformers universe. Because they inevitably have to use well-known bots it all gets too silly that everyone major never dies and they all in fact knew each other.

It feels as though Napoleon, Rasputin, George Washington, Curtis LeMay, Robert McNamara, Joseph Goebbels and Astrotrain have all been at Bash St. School since the mid-50s.

Actually, that would be a much better comic.

relak
2012-06-25, 04:02 AM
So the final part of this hit yesterday. Anyone here read it? Hope so, because IDW were oh so clever with the final battle between Prime and Megatron.

Despite a rather poor finish I enjoyed some of this. Art was suitably gloomy and the middle issues are quite fun. It does effectively rule out Blurs spotlight but thats no great loss. I'm sure what the implication is with Metroplex at the end its as if the idea is that it leads into Ironhide while skipping the incidents of Metroplexs own spotlight. Speaking of the big city fella, where was he when Thunderwing happened? (or was it Thunderwing who caused Metroplex to flee with Alpha Trion?)

Why? Im actually finding the past stuff a lot more interesting than the ongoings.

Than again, im a huge sucker for such "the war that you never knew until now" kinda stories.

Red Dave Prime
2012-06-25, 06:33 PM
Why? Im actually finding the past stuff a lot more interesting than the ongoings.

Than again, im a huge sucker for such "the war that you never knew until now" kinda stories.

Oh me too, but it needs a bit of care which I think is overall beyond IDW. Take for example the Blur Spotlight. That was set back in the past but Autocracy pretty much rules it out because there of how Orion Pax is potrayed and Optimus Prime is created.

It wouldnt hurt if IDW tried to insert new characters instead of putting in regulars - that way there is some drama to proceedings. Why Hot Rod/ Rodimus needed to be here is beyond me.

Thats not to say that it's all bad but if things are just thrown together without looking at whats been said before it reduces the value of this kind of historical story.

inflatable dalek
2012-06-26, 08:37 AM
So in order to give Comixology a try on my new phone I actually brought the first issue to give the system a go. Not 100% sure what to make of it... The way you move through panels is actually very neat but is a bit counter-intuitive to how I normally read comics, taking in the whole page first. I don't think Livio's art works very well this small either, someone crisp and clear like Guido would have worked better (though obviously this is less of a problem on something as large as an IPad).

Trying to read it on my PC is more of a pain though, I'd rather put it into a CBR file and scroll down the whole page but haven't figured that out yet. Not put off buying digital comics though.

Shrapnel
2012-06-26, 01:40 PM
Oh me too, but it needs a bit of care which I think is overall beyond IDW. Take for example the Blur Spotlight. That was set back in the past but Autocracy pretty much rules it out because there of how Orion Pax is potrayed and Optimus Prime is created.

It wouldnt hurt if IDW tried to insert new characters instead of putting in regulars - that way there is some drama to proceedings. Why Hot Rod/ Rodimus needed to be here is beyond me.

Thats not to say that it's all bad but if things are just thrown together without looking at whats been said before it reduces the value of this kind of historical story.

I see no reason why a "new" character or two could not be used as a "red shirt", it would be easy to accept that said character had never been mentioned in the future given that, maybe, over 4 million years, Prime forgot the odd face.

The lack of adherence to IDW's own canon is absurd though, and suggests that the editors are either half asleep or don't give a sh*t.

I had quite liked this series until the final issues, the Metroplex involvement was a bit weird though, I thought. As well as that, the amount of references (exactly the same script) to the 1986 TF:Movie in the final issue caused me to be rather outraged. As someone who writes a lot, and has a lot of arguments with editors, I expect better writing than (yet another) re-hash of what has come before.

No idea if i need spoiler tags this deep into a thread, but you never know I spose.

inflatable dalek
2012-06-26, 03:27 PM
Well I've read the whole thing now... It really is a very odd series isn't it? Lots of nice ideas, a suitably fast pace and the potential to be silly cartoon Style fun.
But the deeper and deeper in we go the more and more the big problem rears it's head.

It Starts off smalI and insidious. The odd line here and there [I]almost[/l] quoting the film. ''Astrotrain assume shuttle mode and get us out of here!'' style Stuff. Annoying but easy to ignore.

But it builds and it builds till we get the Prime/Hot Rod/Megatron scene. Which quotes the film more faithfully than IDW's own adaptation does. It's like Dille was Possessed by Brad Mick. Totally pointless and kills what could have been a fun if harmless (not to mention out of continuity. Why they didn't just have it as a cartoon prequel...) book.

Shrapnel
2012-06-26, 03:59 PM
But it builds and it builds till we get the Prime/Hot Rod/Megatron scene. Which quotes the film more faithfully than IDW's own adaptation does.

Exactly! And oddly enough, I don't really think I should know what words are going to feature in the next speech bubble when reading a comic book for the first time.

Put me on the shelf labelled "outraged."

Red Dave Prime
2012-06-26, 09:40 PM
So in order to give Comixology a try on my new phone I actually brought the first issue to give the system a go. Not 100% sure what to make of it... The way you move through panels is actually very neat but is a bit counter-intuitive to how I normally read comics, taking in the whole page first. I don't think Livio's art works very well this small either, someone crisp and clear like Guido would have worked better (though obviously this is less of a problem on something as large as an IPad).

Tried the first issue and didnt like it at all but I think this is more down to I had to view it on a ipod (my tablet is android). I've seen it listed on Amazon as a TPB so I'll get the full lot then. I did download all the cbr files and was able to read it all on the tablet in much more comfort. Why IDW just cant sell me CBR files I still dont know. I'd happily buy them.

relak
2012-07-26, 05:11 AM
So I just got the Autocracy TPB.

LOVE the art, but not quite digging Zeta Prime's design. Looks like a cross breed of some digimon and Turn A Gundam.

Was a bit disappointed by the lack of extras though

Jaynz
2012-07-27, 04:13 PM
You think ALL soldiers join up with the intention to protect their nation? Some just wanna blow stuff up.

Yes, and then they get that shit beat out of them during basic training, since 'violent madmen' tend to be incredibly insane liabilities in actual combat... you know, where soldiers are supposed to do their job.