PDA

View Full Version : Infestation 2012 - now with tentacles

Red Dave Prime
2012-02-20, 01:15 PM
Anyone else pick this up? I got the first transformers part. Seemed incredibly slow for a 2 part-er. If I didn't know better, I'd have guessed that it was a 4-5 part-er.

The art's really nice but that really is all it's got going for it at the moment. The human character's take up the most of the issue and they are bland. Where as Infestation 1 had a bat-shit insane Galvatron this no real spark to get things going. I also wasn't in love with evolutions so I doubt I'll pick up issue 2.

Although i do hate an incomplete series.

Terome
2012-02-21, 06:15 PM
Anyone else pick this up? I got the first transformers part. Seemed incredibly slow for a 2 part-er. If I didn't know better, I'd have guessed that it was a 4-5 part-er.

The art's really nice but that really is all it's got going for it at the moment. The human character's take up the most of the issue and they are bland. Where as Infestation 1 had a bat-shit insane Galvatron this no real spark to get things going. I also wasn't in love with evolutions so I doubt I'll pick up issue 2.

Although i do hate an incomplete series.

Read the first Transformers issue - seemed to me like there isn't much to it besides the aesthetic and the novel, mildly brilliant and half-silly idea that the Transformers must use the same energy source as the vehicle they are mimicking. What did they run on when they were all mammoths and giant insects and such? Shrubs?

Transformers has always been about energy on some level and it's nice to see that put at the forefront. Uh, but the actual story and characters and whatnot are all forgettable.

Oh and Lovecraft stuff but with all the actually compelling parts scrubbed out? That's not a good sell.

zigzagger
2012-02-21, 08:00 PM
Haven't read this, but, yeah, I can see the novelty behind the What-If Transformers vs. [insert horror movie monster] premise. Not seeing much else beyond that.

Having read the first volume (only the Transformers books), that's my impression of how the Infestation series is supposed to be taken. Even if it was a blatant cash in on the zombie craze. It was faaaar from brilliant, but it was still kinda fun in a goofy, not at all taking itself seriously sort of way.

Denyer
2012-02-21, 08:16 PM
Which is what makes it a shame they apparently consider the first one in-continuity and killed off characters.

zigzagger
2012-02-21, 08:31 PM
It's considered in-continuity? I didn't know that.

Well, that was a pretty stupid move. What an unspectacular way to write off Kup; in series that's clearly a piss take.

I'm sure Roberts and co. will find a way to undo his dead-ness, but still...

Denyer
2012-02-21, 09:45 PM
Probably. Hopefully.

On the other hand, the Avengers crossover was in-continuity (said steaming turd of a series is reprinted in the third IDW TF collection hardcover) and so was All Hail Megatron, so I'm not paying a great deal of attention to much that isn't by specific writers.

Red Dave Prime
2012-02-22, 12:11 AM
I didnt realise the avengers one was also included. Is it worth a look even as a so bad its interesting kinda way?

If I remember right I think Infestation 1 is also where Prime realises that Galvatron is up to something on cybertron... could be wrong on that. But it was fun in a silly way.

Summerhayes
2012-02-22, 01:05 PM
I've not read any part of either Infestation. But unlike the more human-scaled Star Trek or GI JOE, Transformers seemed an ill fit to be fighting zombies and that.

I did read the avengers one. God-awful. The first tf comic i ever read, and nearly put me off entirely. Still haven't been able to convince my uncle to read any more, even the likes of LSotW

Red Dave Prime
2012-02-22, 01:49 PM
This one seems to at least have the transformers being infected/ taken over to some degree.

But yeah, it's not a great fit. At least this one is outside of the ongoing.

relak
2012-03-28, 12:20 PM
I only picked up the original Infestation series because i was a fan of the "Zombies Vs Robots" series.

This new one has nothing to do with ZVR right?