PDA

View Full Version : IDW solicitations for July

Grayfox
2012-04-13, 11:52 PM
Found on IDW board: IDW Publishing Forums :: View topic - IDW solicitations for July (http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=11709&sid=02c5a05458f98e6397368b35ac518c8a)

IDW Publishing July 2012 Solicitations (http://comicbookcritic.net/2012/04/13/idw-publishing-july-2012-solicitations/)

Transformers: Regeneration One #81
Simon Furman (w) • Andrew Wildman & Stephen Baskerville (a) • Wildman, Guido Guidi ©
The TRANSFORMERS comic that began it all—is back. With a vengeance! 21 years have passed since CYBERTRON was restored to its former glory, and finally there is peace. But, after millions of years of bitter civil war, can all ever truly be one? In a conflict this primal, this epic and far-reaching… There are always “Loose Ends”!
http://comicbookcritic.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Transformers_RegenerationOne_81_Cvr.jpg

Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye Ongoing #7
James Roberts (w) • Alex Milne (a) • Milne, Nick Roche ©
DECEPTICON MONTH! The war’s over — but no-one told the DECEPTICON Justice Division! Meet the five deadliest DECEPTICONS in the galaxy. Their sole purpose: to hunt down and kill anyone who has ever disobeyed MEGATRON. Who’s their next target?
http://comicbookcritic.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Transformers_MoreThanMeetsTheEye_07_CvrA.jpg

Transformers: Robots in Disguise Ongoing #7
John Barber (w) • Brendan Cahill (a) • Andrew Griffith, Casey Coller ©
DECEPTICON MONTH! Fan-favorite character TURMOIL returns from the dead—but what does he want on CYBERTRON? The AUTOBOTS don’t want another DECEPTICON on their planet and the DECEPTICONS don’t want things to get any worse… but what Wheeljack discovers about the DECEPTICON warlord will change everything!
http://comicbookcritic.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Transformers_RobotsinDisguise07_CvrA.jpg

zigzagger
2012-04-14, 12:21 AM
Was wondering when the Lost Light was going to happen upon some Decepticons.

Fan-favorite character TURMOIL

Turmoil was a fan-favorite character? Really? That's news to me?

Grayfox
2012-04-14, 01:16 AM
That's news to me?

They also once called McCarthy a fan favorite writer in (if I remember corectly) one of Drift mini solicitations, so yeah...;)

Cliffjumper
2012-04-14, 03:55 AM
Oh, that Megatron cover is just appalling.

Skyquake87
2012-04-14, 06:26 AM
its not that bad...just not interesting enough to make me want to buy it. "buy this comic kids - it has robots sitting in chairs!"

inflatable dalek
2012-04-14, 08:31 AM
Wait, didn't someone (Terome?) mention recently that the best bit of Alignment was Grimlock declaring he likes to sit in chairs? It's obviously continuing Furman's Chair Agenda and means everything is canon.

I had to think really, really hard as to who Turmoil was, and I've read the Drift mini series recently. Still, if he's somehow survived being in the middle of an exploding ship, that at least nullifies the immense hypocrisy of Drift's "Killing you would be wrong, lets blow you up instead".

relak
2012-04-14, 11:50 AM
1) I wonder why the gap of 21 years?? Why not just carry on from where issue 80 left off if you're going to carry on with issue 81.

2) 5 Deadliest decepticons?? Deadlier than Sixshot, Overlord and Thunderwing? I do hope these are not new characters like Drift was

3) I'm still laughing from the "fan favorite" Turmoil. Seriously?? Although i am thinking those are Zombie bots on the cover. Some left over virus from Infestation perhaps?

meh

Im more interested in picking up the "Autocracy" tpb though.

inflatable dalek
2012-04-14, 11:53 AM
I think the general consensus in the thread discussing the preview of 80.5 was the 21 year gap is due to no one involved having a clue.

relak
2012-04-14, 11:55 AM
I think the general consensus in the thread discussing the preview of 80.5 was the 21 year gap is due to no one involved having a clue.

seriously??
Cos i did have high hopes for this.

I mean IDW let Larry Hama come back and continue his G I Joe: Real American Hero story where the Marvel series left off. Its really quite good.

Cliffjumper
2012-04-14, 12:00 PM
its not that bad

Look at the left forearm. It's fatter than the right one, despite the right one being closer to us, either vaguely clenching its' fist or waving camply. It's Liefield-esque.

inflatable dalek
2012-04-14, 12:03 PM
Post Ark-crash damage.

Cliffjumper
2012-04-14, 12:06 PM
I wonder if we're going to get some tortured exposition on why he's got a Sunbow/DW grey helmet too?

What am I talking about, of course we are!

inflatable dalek
2012-04-14, 12:20 PM
The 80.5 preview pages used the Marvel colours didn't they? I can at least remember purple Soundwave standing out after IDW had gone to the effort of removing him from the actual Marvel comics.

It's strange isn't it how modern coloured covers just look wrong with old fashioned speech bubbles.

TLB80
2012-04-14, 04:14 PM
That Megatron cover is.....extraordinarily terrible. And I'm still laughing at "fan-favourite character Turmoil". Either that was during the period in-between 'Revenge of the Decepticons' and the beginning of RID/MTMTE when I wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention to anything IDW did, or they still haven't learned what "fan-favourite" actually means.

Oh, and am I the only one who hopes that the guy on the MTMTE #7 cover isn't Nemesis Prime?

Cliffjumper
2012-04-14, 04:51 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/TomPrankerd/Transformers_RegenerationOne_81_Cvr.jpg

Speech bubble's a bit small and I'm far too lazy to patch on a bigger one, but it really does look like we've just walked in on Megatron crapping on some debris.

inflatable dalek
2012-04-14, 04:54 PM
Where's the bog roll?

Cliffjumper
2012-04-14, 04:59 PM
A: The thing on his back is a dispenser full of them.
B: That's what the rest of the pages are for.

inflatable dalek
2012-04-14, 06:47 PM
A: The thing on his back is a dispenser full of them.
B: That's what the rest of the pages are for.

I set 'em up, you knock 'em down. We're like the TFA Hale and Pace.

I'm Hale.

That Megatron cover is.....extraordinarily terrible. And I'm still laughing at "fan-favourite character Turmoil". Either that was during the period in-between 'Revenge of the Decepticons' and the beginning of RID/MTMTE when I wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention to anything IDW did, or they still haven't learned what "fan-favourite" actually means.

He's the favourite of a fan. Alex Milne.

Red Dave Prime
2012-04-14, 09:35 PM
Am I the only who likes the idea in More than Meets the Eye?

First off, I really like the cover image (and no, I dont think we have to worry about it being nemesis prime). But the idea that Megatron had a team to deal out military justice is a fun one. Should be interesting to see who ends up in the group.

Re: Fan Favourites - Had the misfortune of checking out the IDW forums and I'm not surprised that any "original" IDW character gets showered with immediate praise over there. I'm an easy enough person to please but the crowd over there only seem able to gush praise onto anything IDW put out.

zigzagger
2012-04-15, 04:05 AM

No, I think it sounds like a fun and interesting idea, it was bound to happen given MTMTE's premise. Though, I am glad Roberts waited a little bit before introducing 'Cons. There's so much other stuff that's happening (or needs to happen) in that book right now.

relak
2012-04-15, 08:53 AM

First off, I really like the cover image (and no, I dont think we have to worry about it being nemesis prime). But the idea that Megatron had a team to deal out military justice is a fun one. Should be interesting to see who ends up in the group.

Re: Fan Favourites - Had the misfortune of checking out the IDW forums and I'm not surprised that any "original" IDW character gets showered with immediate praise over there. I'm an easy enough person to please but the crowd over there only seem able to gush praise onto anything IDW put out.

I thought the "Phase sixers" like Sixshot and Overlord were just such a team?

(Personally I would prefer it to be nemesis prime rather than some new characters that were made at the author's whim......like Drift

Red Dave Prime
2012-04-15, 12:45 PM
Hard to tell where exactly the story will be by that point but a certain wannabe Decepticon may find it interesting to come face to face with an actual Decepticon.

Red Dave Prime
2012-04-15, 12:50 PM
The phase sixers are exactly what the name suggests - they are the sixth stage in world conquest and are used to cause global destruction. This should be something different. In the early Furman work, there is a definite (if unexplored) military command structure to the Decepticon forces and it would make sense that Megatron would have a squad specifically for dispensing Justice. I'm hoping there's some interplay with Magnus as well.

Nemisis Prime wouldnt work for the following reasons:

1 - He's not a decepticon
2 - He's Dead
3 - He doesnt seem to have met Megatron at any point - He's gone by Megatron Origins and Megatron is not really involved in the Dead Universe arc.

der2
2012-04-15, 05:22 PM
I'd love to see if this revenge force included Lugnut, don't cross Megatron!! And I'd love to see him cross over into the G1 universe.

Terome
2012-04-17, 10:19 AM
Wait, didn't someone (Terome?) mention recently that the best bit of Alignment was Grimlock declaring he likes to sit in chairs? It's obviously continuing Furman's Chair Agenda and means everything is canon.

This is clearly a clue that Megatron and Grimlock are brothers. They hang out all the time and discuss optional positions into which they can put their bodies. The logical progression of this revelation is that Furman is going to drop an incest slash-bomb on us.

Is the chair supposed to be made of Dinobots? And what is his left leg doing?

I think it's a naff idea on the surface but don't doubt that Roberts can do something entertaining with it.

Same with Turmoil returning, actually. Turmoil is a dull character who only stands out because there are so few interesting Decepticons that anyone who wasn't a background thug was worth more attention by default. I don't give two figs about what he got up to in some bad comics, the idea of an undiminished warlord turning up in the RID story at the point where Decepticons are becoming sympathetic is one with some merit.

TLB80
2012-04-17, 04:23 PM
Nemisis Prime wouldnt work for the following reasons:

1 - He's not a decepticon
2 - He's Dead
3 - He doesnt seem to have met Megatron at any point - He's gone by Megatron Origins and Megatron is not really involved in the Dead Universe arc.

Huh, I'd totally forgotten that's what Furman had renamed Nova Prime.

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-04-18, 07:54 PM

The IDW message board is full of suck ups (and that is what they are) who want you to think if a Transformers comic has the IDW logo on the cover that is written and drawn by certain creators then it must be good, (even though some of same creators haven't put out a good comic in decades or ever). They do this because they must suck up to the publisher, editors, EiC, and creators who occasionally bother to post there.

The only negative reaction allowed there is after a book comes out and fails to deliver. But by then IDW has already gotten your money and you can't do a damn thing about it.

Cliffjumper
2012-04-18, 08:53 PM
The problem is thanks to the likes of Guidi, Figueroa and Roberts the fans posting there don't see themselves as posters but potential employees. They don't seem to realise that having talent, rather than sucking up, got the aforementioned into official TF work.

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-04-18, 11:54 PM
The problem is thanks to the likes of Guidi, Figueroa and Roberts the fans posting there don't see themselves as posters but potential employees. They don't seem to realise that having talent, rather than sucking up, got the aforementioned into official TF work.

Sad, but true.

relak
2012-04-19, 12:16 AM

waITaminit!!
THey got scouted on IDW forums??

I thought they just transfered over from Dreamwave.

Cliffjumper
2012-04-19, 04:31 AM
waITaminit!!
THey got scouted on IDW forums??

No.

relak
2012-04-19, 05:45 AM
No.

then why do you say that fans who post on IDW forums hope to get employed by IDW thanks to Guido and Don.

inflatable dalek
2012-04-19, 06:08 AM
They were fans with a high profile from their fan fics/art before becoming professionals, leading others to think they might get proper work out of it, but they're going about it the brown nosing way rather than talent.

How fair that is I don't know, the IDW forums scare me enough in other ways. They don't like Nick Roche there.

Grayfox
2012-04-19, 08:25 AM
then why do you say that fans who post on IDW forums hope to get employed by IDW thanks to Guido and Don.

Because that the only place where IDW crew talks with the fans, so they think, that if they suck up long enough...?

And yeah, some of the posters there... Gah. Still, I love to lurk there, to see how much more stupid it can get. Like that guy, who had a meltdown while trying to defend Continuum. Or those two guys who were pro Costa, saying "his ongoing is going somewhere, is going, going...!! WAIT IT DOESN'T?! I feel so betrayed by a comic book, and I'm 40! :<"

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-04-19, 04:08 PM
...edit never mind...

Cliffjumper
2012-04-19, 05:14 PM
They were fans with a high profile from their fan fics/art before becoming professionals, leading others to think they might get proper work out of it, but they're going about it the brown nosing way rather than talent.

Bingo. Just because that's not how any of those actually got their gigs doesn't mean those on the IDW forums don't think that sucking up to company bods is the way forward. None of them are, say, going to call Ryall a talentless shit who couldn't run a nun-shoot in a nunnery while they entertain the fantasy that their story about how Soundwave and Blaster are totally brothers might get made one day. I dread to think how many PM pitches anyone official on those boards gets per day.

They don't like Nick Roche there.

Does non-Transformers stuff now, doesn't he? Subhuman scum, obviously not a true fan. He probably owns stuff that hasn't been approved by Hasbro.

inflatable dalek
2012-04-19, 06:55 PM
I dread to think how many PM pitches anyone official on those boards gets per day.

Which is especially daft when you factor in that they'll almost certainly have an official policy of not even looking at unsolicited submissions, with there only being so many ideas in the world they'd just be opening themselves up to all sorts of litigation. I mean, how many people must have had "Wreckers in an all action blood bath" ideas?

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-04-19, 07:36 PM
Which is especially daft when you factor in that they'll almost certainly have an official policy of not even looking at unsolicited submissions, with there only being so many ideas in the world they'd just be opening themselves up to all sorts of litigation. I mean, how many people must have had "Wreckers in an all action blood bath" ideas?

It's my understanding that is true with almost every major comic book publisher, unless they have a talent search, a contest, or something like that.

relak
2012-04-20, 12:05 AM

I thought they will only run into trouble if the originator of that idea decides to sue.

I know many comic fans who would kill just to have their idea in a marvel book with only a teeny "inspired by" credit without taking a single cent from it.

Cliffjumper
2012-04-20, 04:49 AM
And what if they change their mind a little way down the line?

inflatable dalek
2012-04-20, 06:24 AM
It's not so much that comic companies aren't willing to pay for good ideas (though the average slush pile being 98% crap is another reason for ignoring the thing, as is the amount of time it would take to work through), it's to protect writers from acusations of palgerism.

relak
2012-04-20, 02:37 PM
It's not so much that comic companies aren't willing to pay for good ideas (though the average slush pile being 98% crap is another reason for ignoring the thing, as is the amount of time it would take to work through), it's to protect writers from acusations of palgerism.

But a writer will only be accused on plagarism if SOMEONE CALLS THEM OUT ON IT.

Like i said, im sure a small "based on an idea by *insert fan's name*" credit would be more than enough to please a fan who just wants his idea out for people to see. At least thats the impression i get talking to fans at cons.

THey dont want the money or the takings from a plagarism lawsuit. They just want their idea to be acknowledged.

inflatable dalek
2012-04-20, 04:25 PM
But this hypothetical fan wouldn't be credited or paid, the entire source of their complaint would be that they'd had their idea stolen. It happens a lot, especially to anyone who has money (Spielberg, Rowling and Stephen King have all been accused at various times. David Gerrold talks on the More Tribbles, More Troubles commentary for the Animated Trek episode how a fan he'd met on a studio tour tried to sue him for stealing the idea even though it had already been in production when they met and Gerrold told him this repeatedly when he kept saying "You should do a Tribbles episode").

Whether people are out to make a quick buck or genuinely don't realise there are only so many ideas out there (especially in franchises where the obvious thing is always going to be to bring back character or concept X) writers and creators need to protect themselves against the possibility, because if nothing else it gets tedious real fast. Plus it's fairer for anyone who might have a legitimate case not to have to be surrounded by cranks all the time.

Cliffjumper
2012-04-20, 06:08 PM
Yeh, the big problem is that it could well not be their idea. If James Roberts was planning to - I dunno - unveil Jetfire as one of the 13 and I PM'd him a message with the same idea, should he credit me? Should he ****, and more power to him.

I would suspect a lot of pro writers value their craft more highly than lifting ideas from fans anyway. And can you imagine the emails, letters, PMs and posts writers would get pitched the second one "Inspired by [some fan]" credit appeared in one of IDW's comics?

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-04-20, 06:43 PM
But this hypothetical fan wouldn't be credited or paid, the entire source of their complaint would be that they'd had their idea stolen. It happens a lot, especially to anyone who has money (Spielberg, Rowling and Stephen King have all been accused at various times. David Gerrold talks on the More Tribbles, More Troubles commentary for the Animated Trek episode how a fan he'd met on a studio tour tried to sue him for stealing the idea even though it had already been in production when they met and Gerrold told him this repeatedly when he kept saying "You should do a Tribbles episode").

Whether people are out to make a quick buck or genuinely don't realise there are only so many ideas out there (especially in franchises where the obvious thing is always going to be to bring back character or concept X) writers and creators need to protect themselves against the possibility, because if nothing else it gets tedious real fast. Plus it's fairer for anyone who might have a legitimate case not to have to be surrounded by cranks all the time.

The legendary sci-fi author Harlan Ellison successfully sued James Cameron for plageism (I think it was that or copyright infringment) over the first Terminator movie. He claimed that Cameron ripped the idea off a couple of episodes of The Outer Limits that Ellison wrote. That is why before the end credits in T-1 it says "we acknowledge the works of Harlan Ellison" (or something to that effect) because that was part of the settlement.

relak
2012-04-21, 01:01 AM

PRECISELY they not credited hence why they go for a lawsuit

The legendary sci-fi author Harlan Ellison successfully sued James Cameron for plageism (I think it was that or copyright infringment) over the first Terminator movie. He claimed that Cameron ripped the idea off a couple of episodes of The Outer Limits that Ellison wrote. That is why before the end credits in T-1 it says "we acknowledge the works of Harlan Ellison"

Doesnt this kinda prove that a small credit acknowledgement is enough?
If they had credited him from the start, there wouldnt be need for a lawsuit.

Yeh, the big problem is that it could well not be their idea. If James Roberts was planning to - I dunno - unveil Jetfire as one of the 13 and I PM'd him a message with the same idea, should he credit me? Should he ****, and more power to him.
Depends on who came up with that idea first and how much of the ideas are similar.

And can you imagine the emails, letters, PMs and posts writers would get pitched the second one "Inspired by [some fan]" credit appeared in one of IDW's comics?
as if they're not already.

inflatable dalek
2012-04-21, 09:29 AM
PRECISELY they not credited hence why they go for a lawsuit

So...err I'm not sure what your point is. The no reading solicitations thing is to protect them for unfair lawsuits so actual paid contributions have nothing to do with it. And if the resemblance is a coincidence no one is going to want to solve the problem by giving them money on a credit on a story they had nothing to do with,

Doesnt this kinda prove that a small credit acknowledgement is enough?
If they had credited him from the start, there wouldnt be need for a lawsuit.[

A big pot of cash was involved with the Ellison lawsuit as well. And, whilst I respect his desire to protect his rights he's very litigation happy. The Terminator is inspired by all sorts of older SF works (much like Star Wars or The Matrix), most obviously the Philip K. Dick short story Second Variety, where instead of Arnie there's a little girl robot with a nuclear teddy bear. It's so similar to the future scenes in Terminator that part of the reason the film version Scanners (with Robocop as the lead) is so bad is it's jumping through hoops to be less like the Cameron film.

But Ellison was the only one to take action against the film, which Cameron partly brought upon himself by mentioning the inspiration that Outer Limits episode had on him. IRRC Ellison recently took action against a film he hadn't even seen because he decided it was ripping him off from the synopsis, though he did admit he was wrong in the end.

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-04-22, 12:43 AM
So...err I'm not sure what your point is. The no reading solicitations thing is to protect them for unfair lawsuits so actual paid contributions have nothing to do with it. And if the resemblance is a coincidence no one is going to want to solve the problem by giving them money on a credit on a story they had nothing to do with,

A big pot of cash was involved with the Ellison lawsuit as well. And, whilst I respect his desire to protect his rights he's very litigation happy. The Terminator is inspired by all sorts of older SF works (much like Star Wars or The Matrix), most obviously the Philip K. Dick short story Second Variety, where instead of Arnie there's a little girl robot with a nuclear teddy bear. It's so similar to the future scenes in Terminator that part of the reason the film version Scanners (with Robocop as the lead) is so bad is it's jumping through hoops to be less like the Cameron film.

But Ellison was the only one to take action against the film, which Cameron partly brought upon himself by mentioning the inspiration that Outer Limits episode had on him. IRRC Ellison recently took action against a film he hadn't even seen because he decided it was ripping him off from the synopsis, though he did admit he was wrong in the end.

The screen writers of the orginal Alien ripped off of a 50s sci-fi film It! The Terror From Beyond Space supposedly when the screenwriter for It was asked why he didn't sue the writers of Alien he said: "Why should I? I ripped off the plots of other stories for It."