PDA

View Full Version : IDW Comics - Where to Start?

GhettoBlaster
2012-07-19, 05:49 PM
First to let you know where my interest lie, I’ll say that I am a fan of the original G1 80’s cartoon and also I’ve been enjoying TF Prime. I’ve recently rekindled my interest in comic books and have been doing some research on TF comics which is what brought me here. As organized as the info is on this site about IDW, I’m still very confused.

I was hoping someone could recommend a good place to start off with and get my toes wet. Is the TPB of Transformers: Infiltration the way to go? Is it all made up of a system of miniseries that work as the overarching storyline? I was also wondering if anyone could be kind enough to also explain the ongoing titles and their relation to everything is as well. As you can tell, I’m in a little over my head!

Thanks in advance

Cliffjumper
2012-07-19, 06:17 PM
My advice - don't. Apparently the current stuff isn't bad, but pretty much everything else they've done has been diabolical (and TBH got good reviews from largely the same people who are rating the current stuff so highly).

I'd certainly recommend illegally downloading the comics rather than feeding IDW any more money for old rope. Even then you're unlikely to get your money's worth, though.

inflatable dalek
2012-07-19, 06:52 PM
Last Stand of the Wreckers. If you only read one modern TF comic that's the one. If you enjoy it then follow it up with- what is increasingly becoming- the sequel More Than Meets The Eye. There are references to older stuff, but nothing a smart reader can't follow.

Auntie Slag
2012-07-19, 07:01 PM
And if you wish to go really effing hardcore then have a read of Eugenesis (http://www.tfarchive.com/fandom/features/eugenesis/). It's set in the 70's and supposes what would've happened if Peter Gabriel stayed.

Okay it's not about that... but it is a gargantuan story written by the guy who did 'Last Stand of the Wreckers' and ' More than Meets the Eye' that Inflatable Dalek mentioned above. It's really quite good. Full to the brim with characters you'll remember (and some you won't), and very brutal.

I never cried when Prime died in the movie. If Eugenesis was a movie I'd be in therapy.

Perhaps best to start with 'Last Stand of the Wreckers' really. Hey, as long as you know this is out there. But it's heavy, man!

inflatable dalek
2012-07-19, 07:05 PM
But it's heavy, man!

The paperback is lighter though.

Eugenesis is mostly great stuff (if, understandably considering it's a self published first novel, unpolished) but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone without a fairly solid remembrance of the Marvel stuff at least.

Auntie Slag
2012-07-19, 07:09 PM
That's fair. It's about 18,000,000 pages and a tour de force in Transformer novelising.

But yeah, an elephant to crack a paraplegic and no mistake. Especially if your paraplegic is simply to wander happily back in and see some colourful panels of large robots hitting each other.

Leave the crack for later. For real.

Can you tell I'm watching The Wire? I'm on the third series, mos' def!

inflatable dalek
2012-07-19, 07:13 PM
I wondered why you were wearing an Idris Elba facemask.

The other current ongoing, Robots In Disguise is basically OK (and arguably has the more interesting set up of the two books) but isn't quite in the same league as More Than... and isn't as essential a read.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer a question in the OP I missed:

Originally the IDW comics were done as a series of mini series that often overlapped in publication so the exact best reading order can be somewhat tricky (though how it's been don in the hardback "Complete IDW Collections" is as good as any). For the last few years though they've mainly limited themselves to ongoing books. Originally one that ended after 30 odd issues and currently two- the aforementioned More Than... and Robots...- that were purposefully designed to be a good jumping on point and work as such for the most part.

Warcry
2012-07-19, 08:26 PM
Last Stand of the Wreckers. If you only read one modern TF comic that's the one. If you enjoy it then follow it up with- what is increasingly becoming- the sequel More Than Meets The Eye. There are references to older stuff, but nothing a smart reader can't follow.
Wreckers is the only thing IDW has produced that I'd rate as a must-read. It's biggest drawback is that it stars a bunch of C-list characters who've never appeared in fiction before like Pyro and Snare and Ironfist. If you're a fan of the ideas behind Transformers you'll enjoy it, but if you watched the shows because you enjoyed major characters like Optimus or Jazz or Starscream or Soundwave you might be disappointed. Kup, Springer and Perceptor are the only familiar faces who play a big role in the story.

IDW have started a whole bunch of potentially interesting stories, but had each one of them go off the rails pretty much right off the bat. Each of their main writers have had their own problems that contributed to that, and the editors didn't seem interested in reigning them in.

Simon Furman had lots of ideas, some of them very good, but he threw so many of them into the pot at once that his story became muddled and confusing before eventually getting cancelled before any of his plotlines reached a satsifactory conclusion.

Shane McCarthy unnecessarily drew out a lot of scenes that felt like they should've been short and to the point, while rushing through or skipping over others that should have been given more attention, making it hard to connect with the story or for the events it depicted to carry as much emotional weight as they really should have.

Mike Costa was probably the worst of the bunch, because everything he wrote was so decompressed that it was hard to get excited by anything he touched, and it was made even worse because all of his "big plot twists" had been guessed months ago by most of the readers. Nothing he wrote had any dramatic impact because you knew what was going to happen several issues in advance, turning his entire 40-odd issue run into a tedious slog of inevitability.

John Barber, who writes the current Robots In Disguise series, has many of the same faults as Furman. Six or seven issues in now, he's got a lot of balls in the air and seems to add a new one with every issue. And just like Furman, while there are a lot of good ideas floating around I would be surprised if many of them were addressed in full. He's also shown distressing tendancy to kill off any characters he's not interested in simply to "up the stakes", without doing anything to get us to care about them beforehand.

James Roberts (cowriter of Last Stand of the Wreckers and solo writer on More than Meets the Eye) is probably the best of the bunch. He's the only one who's brought a fresh take to the series, which is ironic because he's a long-time fan who peppers his work with references to TF stories going all the way back to the 80s. His biggest problem so far stems from trying too hard, mostly with his humour. All of his characters, regardless of their personality the rest of the time, are inclined to bouts of snark or dry British wit that make them all sound very samey at times. I've enjoyed his work so far, but I could also see it getting old quickly if he doesn't lighten up a bit. He also has a much darker take on the TF universe than most. I don't mind it, but I also realize that it might not be appreciated by someone who's only familiar with the generally more upbeat cartoon universes.

GhettoBlaster
2012-07-19, 08:39 PM
Thanks for everyone's answers! To get back to one of the posts, I'm more intrigued by Transformers mythology (that the original G1 touched on occasionally and TF: Prime is making an interesting use of) rather than character driven stories.

So what i've gathered is:

-Last Stand Of The Wreckers is the best standalone story arc

-The two ongoing series More Than Meets The Eye and Robots In Disguise are not bad and possibly worth my time

I'm open to more ideas and feedback!

zigzagger
2012-07-19, 09:27 PM
I'm open to more ideas and feedback!

Well, there's not much else I could recommend to you, really.

To echo what others have already said, Last Stand of the Wreckers is a fine place to start. The trade versions are recommended (for all the cool extras and prose stories), but are not necessarily required to get what's going on.

If you end up liking it, check out the Death of Optimus Prime one-shot, then from there proceed to More Than Meets The Eye (which is current). And yeah, while I personally feel it's cleverly written (the genuine problems Warcry noted aside), MTMTE also remembers one important factor in making a (at very least) decent Transformers comic -- and that it is truly fun. Been awhile since we've had that, I think.

At this point, I honestly can't recommend anything before that. What I, and others, have recommended would be the most accessible route.

Sigh...

But, if you're still curious, I guess you could start with Stormbringer, then go from there. It'll give you idea of what Furman initially had planned -- just don't expect any proper closure to a majority of the ideas and storylines he presented. For me, knowing that kind of taints the reading experience even with the earlier Furman stuff when things hadn't quite derailed.

As far as other back-up issues go...

Mmmm. Chaos Theory was lovely, I thought. That's issues #22 and #23 of the previous Ongoing (Costa's run). Overrated maybe, but I enjoyed it. It's authored by MTMTE's James Roberts and offers what I thought to be a pretty nifty look at Optimus Prime and Megatron's origins. It accomplished what Megatron: Origin failed spectacularly at (which you probably should avoid), and manages so in only two issues.

GhettoBlaster
2012-07-20, 01:17 AM
What are the general thoughts on the original IDW TF ongoing?

Terome
2012-07-20, 12:24 PM
What are the general thoughts on the original IDW TF ongoing?

The Costa one? I'd not recommend it. It's not very well written and doesn't include any interesting ideas that I am aware of.

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-07-20, 01:54 PM
All Hail Megatron is one of the BEST Transformers comics ever produced the Decepticons are true monsters, the Autobots are in disarray, and have a traitor in their midst. It's fast paced and action packed the artwork is the best of any series that IDW has put out and introduces the best Whitwickys in the franchise.

The Costa series isn't all that bad as others make it, the entire Chaos Theory arc is a brilliant storyline and Chaos is just damn fun.

The Last Stand of the Wreckers is good but very over-rated, it's preachy and it's messages are cliched and about as subtle as chainsaw through a plate glass window. The artwork isn't all that good, Nick Roche can't draw a fight scene to save his life and his characters look goofy.

Drift is the origin story of a new Autobot character and shows why a Transformers would join the Decepticons and what causes him to turn against them. It's predictable as hell and the artwork by Miline is better than his work in MTMTE, there are references from it in both MTMTE and RID.

RID is a great series that shows what happens when the war is over and how the Transformers must rebuild their socity, government, culture, and how the Autobots, Decepticons, and the Nails (neutral Transformers) don't get along.

MTMTE is a cliched space quest where the quest get buried under a ton of bad jokes, new characters that aren't very interesting and on a ship that no one appears to have checked out. It's OK but extremely over-rated but Roche's art in #1 is downright horrible and Miline's attempt to mix his style with Roche's is awkward at best and god-awful at worse.

Knightdramon
2012-07-20, 05:39 PM
I'd recommend starting at All Hail Megatron, and working your way forward and backward from there.

Some plots points from Furman's run [Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation, Devastation, Revelation and Maximum Dinobots] only seep in through the second half. And that's very minimal.

Once you're done with that, try to find Megatron: Origins. I find it pretty decent, try to hunt down the paperback instead of individual issues, they fixed a lot of colouring [too dark on the separated issues] and some dialogue issues.

With AHM and M:O done, begin reading the Ongoing [Mike Costa's run], track down Spotlight Drift, the four issue Drift miniseries and the Ironhide mini to get a general idea of the universe they're in.

After that, it's Death of Optimus Prime and it branches off to MTMTE and RID. Both are good, though I vastly prefer More than meets the eye.

Definitely track down Last Stand of the Wreckers after you're done with the Drift and Ironhide series.

Sad to see that almost the entire run of Furman doesn't matter, eh? I mean, pick Sunstreaker and his arc at the first issues of Escalation\bits of Devastation, Spotlight Shockwave and the four issue Revelations and that's it. Infiltration, Stormbringer and the rest brought almost nothing into what's current, right?

inflatable dalek
2012-07-20, 05:57 PM
It's worth noting that regarding All Hail Megatron as a good comic is akin to my long standing lonely belief that The World Is Not Enough is the best Bond film. An extreme minority viewpoint.

You might like it if you want something a bit cartooney (I would disagree with Cyberstrike's assertion that the Decepticons are true monsters in it, their plan basically consists of conquering a city- though that and what they plan to do with it does shift and change back and forth over the course of the series- and sit around and pick their bums whilst the Autobots sit around and pick theirs on Cybertron) that has some nice Guido art but other than that I'd say its appeal is limited.

Regardless of its qualities though, other than some guff about the Maxtrix near the end, there's not much about the Mythology in there so I'd argue it's not really what you're looking for.

The core of the More Than Meets the Eye book is the search for some long lost legendary Transformers, so, depending on how that develops, I'd say that's probably the best bet for you.

Terome
2012-07-20, 06:19 PM
It's worth noting that regarding All Hail Megatron as a good comic is akin to my long standing lonely belief that The World Is Not Enough is the best Bond film. An extreme minority viewpoint.

To be fair, everybody I've met in real life who has felt compelled to read Transformers comics (n = 2) has told me that All Hail Megatron is what got them on board. I don't know why they say this but they do.

inflatable dalek
2012-07-20, 06:30 PM
Were they wearing one of those snazzy coats that do up at the back?

Terome
2012-07-20, 06:39 PM
Were they wearing one of those snazzy coats that do up at the back?

Now that you mention it, these conversations did take place in a sanatorium in 1950's America. Then we all had rounds of lithium and an evening of electro-shock therapy to symbolise how authority was putting down the burgeoning counterculture.

inflatable dalek
2012-07-20, 06:42 PM
What did they think of The World Is Not Enough?

Terome
2012-07-20, 06:46 PM
Verdict was: Five stars - would recommend.

But preceding that was a lengthy paragraph describing the horrors of institutionalised rape.

inflatable dalek
2012-07-20, 09:30 PM
I have found my kin.

Vaguely on topic, the aforementioned Chaos Theory is a good mythology one as well, looking at Megatron's secret origin and the start of the war (in a much better way than Megatron Origin or the recent Autocracy have).

Cliffjumper
2012-07-21, 04:28 AM
I think AHM gets most of its' bad press from middlebrow fandom, TBH. In isolation, brought from a bookshop or something by someone who's never heard of a minor league licence renter like IDW or a failed Alpha Flight writer like Furman it's not bad. The basic set-up, at least enough of it to get the ball rolling, can be deduced from rough memories of the old cartoon and it's big on familiar faces and exposition. The TPB format also eliminates many of the pacing problems. It's a good starting point on the whole because it leaves plenty of places to go to - if you want to find out the story behind Sunstreaker you can brave the Furman material; if not you can move forwards onto stuff not written by an irrelevant aging fanboy.

Last Stand is, IMO, pretty much the opposite in every way. At best most normal people think the Wreckers are three NASCARs. It's a truly great book but the deliberately lo-fi cast, fannish leanings, dense narrative and determination to salvage something from the whole Furman shit-pie would be distracting to anyone not already fairly well-read in TF comic lore already.

relak
2012-07-21, 02:49 PM
I think AHM gets most of its' bad press from middlebrow fandom, TBH. In isolation, brought from a bookshop or something by someone who's never heard of a minor league licence renter like IDW or a failed Alpha Flight writer like Furman it's not bad. The basic set-up, at least enough of it to get the ball rolling, can be deduced from rough memories of the old cartoon and it's big on familiar faces and exposition. The TPB format also eliminates many of the pacing problems. It's a good starting point on the whole because it leaves plenty of places to go to - if you want to find out the story behind Sunstreaker you can brave the Furman material; if not you can move forwards onto stuff not written by an irrelevant aging fanboy.

Last Stand is, IMO, pretty much the opposite in every way. At best most normal people think the Wreckers are three NASCARs. It's a truly great book but the deliberately lo-fi cast, fannish leanings, dense narrative and determination to salvage something from the whole Furman shit-pie would be distracting to anyone not already fairly well-read in TF comic lore already.
I can attest to that judging by what books move here at the bookstore.

All Hail Megatron is still consistently the fastest moving Transformers title we got.

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-07-21, 09:32 PM

IMHO out of the Bronson's Bond films Goldeneye and Tommorow Never Dies are the best (namely due to Sean Bean and Jonathan Pryce being great villains). The World is Not Enough is just plain forgettable and Die Another Day was really God-awful, not as God-Awful as Quantum of Solace and that is IMHO the worse James Bond film of all.

You might like it if you want something a bit cartooney (I would disagree with Cyberstrike's assertion that the Decepticons are true monsters in it, their plan basically consists of conquering a city- though that and what they plan to do with it does shift and change back and forth over the course of the series- and sit around and pick their bums whilst the Autobots sit around and pick theirs on Cybertron) that has some nice Guido art but other than that I'd say its appeal is limited.

Lets see:
Megatron standing in front of the firey remains of Air Force One is one of the most frightening things I've seen in comics in a long time.
The Seekers wiping the USAF out of the skies.
Astrotrain looking to kill humans in a subway tunnel.
The Decepticons wipe cities all over the world.
They're not out to enslave humanity or steal energy or some technology like in the orginal cartoon show. They want to wipe us out, as in genocide, and in my book that makes them monsters.

Knightdramon
2012-07-22, 10:43 AM
Megatron standing in front of the firey remains of Air Force One is one of the most frightening things I've seen in comics in a long time.
The Seekers wiping the USAF out of the skies.
Astrotrain looking to kill humans in a subway tunnel.
The Decepticons wipe cities all over the world.
They're not out to enslave humanity or steal energy or some technology like in the orginal cartoon show. They want to wipe us out, as in genocide, and in my book that makes them monsters.

While I do agree with you that the Decepticons are more ruthless, on-panel and what not, in the series, you've got to note that the first two points you make are entirely lost\lose a LOT of their meaning on non-USA readers.

Since lots of fiction, not limited to transformers, takes place in the US and features a lot of mayhem, the points they try to make across are lost after the 100000000000th time.

inflatable dalek
2012-07-22, 05:53 PM
I think AHM gets most of its' bad press from middlebrow fandom, TBH.

Better than lowbrow I suppose.

In isolation, brought from a bookshop or something by someone who's never heard of a minor league licence renter like IDW or a failed Alpha Flight writer like Furman it's not bad. The basic set-up, at least enough of it to get the ball rolling, can be deduced from rough memories of the old cartoon and it's big on familiar faces and exposition. The TPB format also eliminates many of the pacing problems. It's a good starting point on the whole because it leaves plenty of places to go to - if you want to find out the story behind Sunstreaker you can brave the Furman material; if not you can move forwards onto stuff not written by an irrelevant aging fanboy.

Regardless of their qualities I'd genuinely say Last... is the more accesable of the two books. All you really need to know going into it is there was a massive Decepticon attack against the Autobots. Which, considering the war based nature of the franchise and that the Decepticons are the sneaky bad guys is a fairly easy concept to grab and is explained within the first few pages. The only old buisness that doesn't really work in isolation is the Kup thing (which I regard as the only weak link in the book) but that's only touched on briefly.

AHM on the other hand, has an entire subplot entirely dependant on that whole Huntstreaker bollocks. The only thing it really has going for it is more of the "Classic" cast. And I'd say the three main big hitters in Wreckers (Kup, Springer and Perceptor) get more time spent on them in five issues than the bulk of AHM's do in 12.

IIRC Starscream shoot down AF1, Megatron only left New York for that dream conversation with Starscream.

Skyquake87
2012-07-22, 06:53 PM
Top picks from IDW...hmm...

Probably:

All Hail Megatron - good , knockabout fun. Doesn't really rely on that much prior knowlegde - Huntstreaker is explained along the way - just suffers from the aforementioned 'bum-scratching' that doesn't add anything to proceedings. Oh, and the miraculous recovery of one of the Autobots number despite being at serious risk of pegging it completely. I think the latter is what really brings the story down. It seems to be the sign of a writer whose painted himself into a corner and can't think how to get the good guys out of their funk.

Infiltration, Escalation and the first three collected volumes of the Spotlight solo stories under the Furman penned era are pretty good, just don't read anything beyond them.

As everyone else has said, Last Stand Of The Wreckers is arguably the finest Transformers comic book since Marvel's Generation 2 book. It's certainly the only one that is more attuned to how comics are written more widely in the rest of the industry (plot, drama, tension, characterisation, you know, all that stuff IDW generally think no one gives a crap about because Transformers is just a silly toy tie in), which is probably why everyone raves about it so much - it's as good as, say, a run of X-Men or whatever. The more I think about, the more that makes me sad.

Beyond that, the two current ongoings are good solid reads (MTMTE & RID) and don't require reading the Costa stuff. Basically, the war is over and here's how a society thats been at war for millenia struggles to getalong.

Also overlooked, but actually good fun is Transformers : Animated (collected in digest format as 'The Arrival') . Although not G1 related and reliant on the reader having a strong recollection of various episodes, its actually a fun little tie-in book. Has the best colouring IDW have ever managed too.

Stuff to avoid:

Megatron: Origin - just awful, with indicipherable art from Milne. the thing I despise about it most is that megatron is not this radical sh*t-stirrer that galvanises people into action, but is just a victim of cirumstance washed along by the machinations of others. Plus, silly visual with spiky face bits.

Stormbringer - No idea why so many folk adore this. Its one of Simon Furman's psuedo-scientific lectures and is as dry as old toast and about as much fun to read as Death's Head 3.0 which mined similar scientific fancies. I think the art by TF poster boy Don Figueroa has something to do with it.

Devastation, Revelation, Maximum Dinobots, Drift, Ironhide, Bumblebee, Ongoing, Movie Tie-ins, Beast Wars - Trees died for these things. What a waste.

Rack 'n Ruin
2012-07-22, 08:05 PM
Going slightly off on a tangent, I'd really like to get into MTMTE, but haven't bought any of the comics yet. I've read that the 1st TPB will be somewhat thin for the money it will cost. Can anyone recommend a (hopefully easy) way for me to pick up the individual issues so far?

Cliffjumper
2012-07-22, 08:37 PM
Download them. It's free and it means IDW don't get any money for it (which they wouldn't if you were buying back issues off ebay anyway; they'd only spend it on the licence for Glee or somesuch shit anyway).

Denyer
2012-07-22, 10:10 PM
http://oneshallstand.com/shop.html

See if Steve'll do you a bulk postage deal.

Asides from being dull, repetitive, cartoony, heavy on undeserved splash pages and eking a four or five issue story out into twelve, AHM also causes cancer in rats.

Cliffjumper
2012-07-22, 10:45 PM
I don't like rats.

relak
2012-07-23, 02:03 AM
Stormbringer - No idea why so many folk adore this. Its one of Simon Furman's psuedo-scientific lectures and is as dry as old toast and about as much fun to read as Death's Head 3.0 which mined similar scientific fancies. I think the art by TF poster boy Don Figueroa has something to do with it.

Ooh, i found Death's Head 3.0 rather fun to read.

Skyquake87
2012-07-23, 09:10 AM
Ooh, i found Death's Head 3.0 rather fun to read.

It's only interesting (and i loose the term loosely) for the final splash page which has the mechanoid introduced here adopt the familar spiked lower jaw of the original, which hints that what we have just sat through is the 'true' origin of Death's Head.

Why Furman felt 'The Body In Question' was no good for this is beyond me, as its still one of the best things he's ever written.

Cliffjumper
2012-07-23, 10:02 AM
Why Furman felt 'The Body In Question' was no good for this is beyond me, as its still one of the best things he's ever written.

So's G2, but he's happy to shit all over it in ReGeneration One.

Red Dave Prime
2012-07-23, 01:42 PM
Devastation, Revelation, Maximum Dinobots, Drift, Ironhide, Bumblebee, Ongoing, Movie Tie-ins, Beast Wars - Trees died for these things. What a waste.

You're not too far wrong but I do think that if your going to invest in Infiltration, escalation and those early spotlights you really have to read through Devastation and Revelations too. Even consider taking in Max Dinobots to complete the Furman era.

And the thing is, its not all bad in there. Devastation does have a fun chase between Sixshot and Ratchet and the first issue rackets up the tension. Yeah, it falls apart once the Reapers get involved but its not as bad as other stuff.

Revelations is actually half good. Spotlight Cyclonus is probably the best single issue Furman did for IDW and Spotlight Hardhead isnt too shabby either. What follows is guff but thats the IDW trend.

Even Maximum Dinobots has its moments. Scorponok is quite fun and the ending is so all over the place its entertaining in a weird kinda way.

relak
2012-07-24, 12:31 AM
So's G2, but he's happy to shit all over it in ReGeneration One.
Sadly yes. Instead of treating Regeneration One like actually part of the Marvel continuity, he's treating it like a Elseworlds title.

Revelations is actually half good. Spotlight Cyclonus is probably the best single issue Furman did for IDW and Spotlight Hardhead isnt too shabby either. What follows is guff but thats the IDW trend.
I still to this day cry over E J Su's best ever artwork (perhaps the best ever artwork in Transformers art history) gracing the pages of one of the worst spotlights ever.

GhettoBlaster
2012-12-05, 01:59 PM
Now that the dust has cleared a little, I wanted to check back in with you guys. How have the Robots In Disguise, More Than Meets The Eye And Regeneration One series all fared? Are they easy to dive into with prior TF knowledge (but not necessarily TF comic book knowledge) and worth my time?

With Christmas quickly approaching I might seek out a couple of the trade paper backs…

Knightdramon
2012-12-05, 02:27 PM
Regeneration One requires some knowledge of the Marvel universe. Only read one issue so far, and it's typical Furman, so I never looked back.

RID and MTMTE are designed and written in a way that you can jump on them without much previous knowledge. The MTMTE paperback has "The Death of Optimus Prime" which is pretty much the prequel to those two. And MTMTE 1 comes before RID 1.

MTMTE is definitely worth your time, I was hooked since issue 1. RID is arguably good, but in my opinion, not as good. Also, RID has most of the big TF names attached to it [Prowl, Bumblebee, Arcee, Wheeljack, Ironhide, all of the Decepticons] whilst MTMTE, with few exceptions, has second tiers as protagonists.

Terome
2012-12-05, 08:55 PM
I like them all for very different reasons but if it came to recommendation I'd still say that you should go whole-hog on MTMTE and ignore the others. RID is meandering weirdly and Regeneration is wildly uneven, sometimes being pretty affecting and sometimes outright baffling.

inflatable dalek
2012-12-05, 08:59 PM
It's also worth noting that both main books have slowly slipped into referencing previous plots, though in MTMTE's case it's not to intrusive as of yet. Barber did admit in the Underbase interview on the issue that RID 10 was pretty much a massive **** off to those who haven't read the earlier series (though in fairness to him, he wasn't completely happy with that, but still wanted to tell the story).

Red Dave Prime
2012-12-05, 11:39 PM
For me, MTMTE will encourage you to look into older stuff - particular the LSOTW. As jumping on points both books are ok but I think Furmans full restart in infiltration was probably the most complete re-set. Its not in the same league as MTMTE though and once the spotlights get going it meanders all over the place.

AHM does the restart a little better but then forgets its a re-boot half way through.

Costas stuff just isnt worth the effort to be honest.

Knightdramon
2012-12-06, 11:22 AM
To be honest, some backtracking should be pursued once you get going on both issues. Last Stand of the Wreckers and some spotlights along with Chaos Theory from ongoing will help you tremendously in enjoying some storylines.