PDA

View Full Version : Transformers #80 Vs. G.I. Joe #155

inflatable dalek
2012-08-17, 11:46 PM
As those of you who will frequent the bustling Other Toys, Cartoons and Comics forum will know I've just recently finished reading the entire Marvel Action ForceG.I. Joe series. A large chunk of the end of the series isn't very good- it's as if the TF comic had ended after The Inter-Planetary Wrestling Championship!.

The last issue is pretty decent though, and makes an interesting contrast to End of the Road!. When Furman came to having to write a last issue with little notice (I'd guess The Last Autobot was written after he knew though as it's also concerned with finishing off plots and I suspect if he'd been confident of an #81 Action Master Megatron, Starscream and Shockwave would have been leaving the Ark in it) he decided to focus on wrapping up the ongoing plots as best he could.

Outside of the last two panels there's little room for sentiment or saying goodbye, it's very much focused on the story and getting to as close to a neat climax as he possibly can.

With G.I. Joe however, it's almost entirely about sentiment. There were a great many dangling plot threads in that book as well (not helped by the two proceeding issues to the final being filler by other writers), main characters have become EVIL through brainwashing, Cobra had began attacking Madeupforeigncountrilavia style nations, Snake Eyes had parted on frosty terms from Scarlett when he went and took one last mission to rescue Storm Shadow, G.I. Joe himself has been recalled to serve on the team...

But Hama doesn't touch on any of those things at all. The Joe's being shut down is introduced from nowhere and the entire issue is given over to Snake Eyes writing a letter talking about the bleakness of being a soldier. Most of the rest of the cast are reduced to flashbacks and non-speaking cameos.

Both approaches have their strengths and weaknesses, perhaps both would have benefited from finding a balance between "And now we have to deal with this!" style breathlessness and providing a fond farewell.

Which would you good people say worked better, and would you have preferred a more introspective final issue from Furman? Or a more actioney-one from Hama?

relak
2012-08-18, 01:27 AM
Personally I preferred g I joe's ending.

It was bleak. It was a bittersweet kinda cliffhanger. The heroes didn't win. And now that they are shut down, who would stand against cobra?

Skyquake87
2012-08-18, 09:12 PM
I think a bit of both, really. The Hama conclusion to GI Joe sounds good... along similar lines to the last issue of Avengers West Coast (or West Coast Avnegers, if you prefer) with a surprising bit of emoting from US Agent as he throws his costume out to sea "Its like when a divorce is done. There's nothing to do but just walk away". There was some shouting and fistifcuffs and then ... that was it. Bittersweet, which is always the best way to go. No one died, but everyone was left in such a state. And then we got Force Works. Sigh.

The problem for Transformers is that it had already had two good conclusions in UK #206 and US #75.. beyond those issues, there didn't seem much else that needed saying (G2 aside for the minute)

I'm always a bit saddened by a series last issue. With most mainstream stuff, its rare that there's enough time to round things off properly. Or worse, it gets cancelled on a cliffhanger (my personal agonies include Ghost Rider vol 2 # 93 and Scud # 20 ... both of which required a decade long wait to see how things finally came together - I can highly recommend Ghost Rider 'Addict' for anyone wondering what happened to the awesome Danny Ketch GR).

Cliffjumper
2012-08-18, 09:22 PM
Eh, I think End of the Road made a good fist of a difficult job - Edge is obviously meant to be it and the subsequent issues show that the ideas had only vaguely been mapped out. Considering the start/stop nature of the work it's amazing it all hangs together as well as it does.

I'd agree that Harry probably wrote that script in about 1990, and I find the complete disconnect to the mental soap opera shit flying around the title at the time to actually be a bit disingenuous. The preceding issues are very IDW Furman - just keep cracking open plot lines and you can't possibly get cancelled, right?

And due to "GI Joe get suspended, Snake-Eyes and Scarlett handle everything with their circle of civilian ninja friends" being a recurring theme of the Llama's work there's no poignancy as nothing has really changed - and Cobra have been a joke since the whole Civil War thing. The conflict between the Joes and Cobra had been a sidestory getting in the way of the Hard Master am-dram since about 1988 as far as the writer's concerned.

inflatable dalek
2012-08-19, 06:25 PM
The problem for Transformers is that it had already had two good conclusions in UK #206 and US #75.. beyond those issues, there didn't seem much else that needed saying (G2 aside for the minute)

If the UK comic had ended with 206 no on in the UK would have ever known Furman cribbed the last Optimus/Shockwave exchange from Dark Star...
[/QUOTE]

And due to "GI Joe get suspended, Snake-Eyes and Scarlett handle everything with their circle of civilian ninja friends" being a recurring theme of the Llama's work there's no poignancy as nothing has really changed - and Cobra have been a joke since the whole Civil War thing. The conflict between the Joes and Cobra had been a sidestory getting in the way of the Hard Master am-dram since about 1988 as far as the writer's concerned.

I think the book plays the shut down angle fairly low key because of that though, there's no attempt to play it as TEH GREAT BIG SHOCK and that's to its betterment.

I think the biggest disconnect is Scarlett being on duty at all (something wrong with one of the filler issues), I can see Snake Eyes having come back specifically to save Storm Shadow and Billy but she'd clearly had enough of the whole thing when he went on One Last Mission and I can't see her having left the cabin in the meantime.

I did like however, after something like ten years since it was last mentioned, the penultimate issue had Roadblock as a mad chef again.