PDA

View Full Version : [FICTION] Inevitable

Warcry
2012-08-20, 06:40 AM
I put this story together on a whim when I woke up early on a lazy Sunday morning and got struck with an idea that I just couldn't get out of my head. It could easily happen in the cartoon universe, though that's not really by design. The cartoon (and the third season in particular) fits nicely with the snippets of backstory that I've included, although I tried to keep all of that fairly vague.

The whole story spins out of a line from a particular character's bio that I always found very interesting, but that's never been explored in official fiction or even fanfic (that I've seen, obviously). It'll probably be obvious who and what I'm talking about once you've finished reading.

Since the plot seemed like a more sophisticated version of the sort of thing I'd base a story around when I was playing with my Transformers as a kid, I decided to take that to it's logical conclusion: the only characters who show up in the story are ones that I own G1 or G2 toys of. On top of that the recent deaths that get mentioned are all characters that I've recently thrown out badly-broken toys of and the ones whose injuries are mentioned all reflect the status of the toys that I own. It's a bit indulgent and silly, perhaps, but for a shorter story like this it was quite a bit of fun.

Hopefully it's enjoyable. :)

It was the year 2025, and Galvatron was dead. In the throws of his madness the Decepticon leader had led his troops in yet another futile assault on the Autobots' fortress on Nebulos. It had been a disaster, just like every other Decepticon attack on that planet since 2007 – ever since the Powermasters and the second generation of Head- and Targetmasters had held the world in the grip of terror.

Spinister knew well the magnitude of what had been accomplished in those days, because he had been in command. With help from the mercenary Doubledealer his unit had infiltrated the world, liberated Hive sympathizers that the Autobots had locked up and revived the binary-bonding programs. His small band of newly-augmented soldiers had handily overthrown the planet's fractious provisional government, and the Nebulan population had no recourse but to sit by and watch as their new mechanical overlords stripped their world of Energon and raw materials. In fact, Spinister had ruled that world for nearly two years before one of the rebels managed to get word out to the Autobots.

Optimus Prime himself had come, then. He and his troops had binary-bonded with the rebels, eliminating the Decepticon's advantage in one fell swoop. Spinister had sent word to Galvatron, but the Decepticons' glorious leader hadn't bothered to send backup. Doubledealer bailed on them and Spinister and his Decepticons had been routed, barely escaping with their lives and losing the army's one reliable energy lifeline in the process.

When they'd returned to Chaar, Galvatron hadn't even noticed they were gone.

That was years ago, though. Since then Galvatron had thrown his troops away in one wasteful engagement after the next, sending barely-energized Decepticon strike teams out to confront fully-charged Autobot quick-response units. One by one, the members of Spinister's Nebulos team had been tossed away like so much trash. His protege Needlenose had been the last, and the day that Quickswitch crushed the eager young Decepticon's head between his jaws had been the day that Spinister lost all faith in the Decepticon cause and it's leader.

But those days were gone now. Galvatron was dead, and the Decepticons – what was left of them, anyway – had another chance at life. They should have been seizing it, but they were squandering it instead. It was all too typical, and Spinister couldn't even find it within himself to be surprised anymore.

Roughstuff leaned against the crude bunker's wall, staring at the air defence scanners and praying for a blip. He'd been left on Chaar to watch the sensors during the last battle on Nebulos, and he was just burning for action.

"I tell ya, Wildfly, if we'd been there it woulda been Decepticon victory all the way!"

"Ha! I hear that!" The small Decepticon sat on the other side of the room, sipping at his daily Energon ration. He'd once been a Pretender and a member of the mighty Monstructor, but both his shell and his team had long since been lost carrying out one of Galvatron's stupid plans. Now he was just a slightly taller Micromaster, looked down on by his fellow Decepticons for being weak and useless. But if he'd caught on, Wildfly gave no signs of showing it. He was still the same loudmouthed, inept bully he'd always been.

"You two..." Flattop didn't bother turning around from his seat at the monitoring console, but the scorn was evident in his voice anyway. "You're dreaming. You do realize that, right?"

"What are you, some kinda wuss?" Wildfly asked, throwing his now-empty glass at Flattop before breaking into peals of laughter.

"No, I'm a realist." Flattop sighed, then turned away from his console to face his friends. "Wildfly, your shell's gone. Roughstuff and I have both lost our transports. We're tiny, weak and barely armed. If we'd been on Nebulos, we'd have died on Nebulos. Or are you forgetting that Flamefeather, Whisper and Stormcloud didn't come back?"

"Those last two don't count," Roughstuff responded with a big grin. "Way I heard it is the Air Strike Patrol finally turned on each other. Tailwind and Nightflight barely came back alive but that's not the Autobots' fault now, is it?"

"Chop Shop, Skyjack and Viewfinder then, if you want to be picky." Flattop sighed. "I'm just saying that better Decepticons than us were there, and now they're lying in a hole on some slagpit planet turning to rust. Unlike you two, I'm glad we got to stay at home."

"That sounds like coward talk to me," Wildfly crowed. "Quick, gimme something else to throw at him!"

The monitor station pinged and Flattop turned his back on his friends. "Shut it," he told Wildfly. "We've got an incoming shuttle."

"Is it Autobots?" Roughstuff asked. "Please say it's Autobots."

"No, it's not Autobots," Flattop told him. "Just stragglers. Not unless Blast Off's changed sides, anyway." He sighed. "Although these days you never know. That idiot Carnivac turned on us, after all."

He checked the sensors, then shook his head. "I'm only reading four other life signs aboard. They scan as Decepticons."

"Dammit!" Wildfly cursed.

"Yeah," Flattop said, shaking his head. "It's such a shame we're not going to die."

Motormaster shoved Swindle down the ramp, barking authoritatively, "Move it, you maggot!"

"Yeah, yeah," Swindle said, shambling a bit quicker. Then he muttered, "I'd like to see how fast you move when you gotta carry your own severed arm."

"What did you say?" Motormaster demanded.

"Just vocorder static," Swindle assured him. "You know, battle damage."

"Nnn..."

Flywheels was the next one out – or at least, the tank half of Flywheels. He'd lost his upper component years ago, but since each section had it's own rudimentary brain module the tank segment of his body had kept on fighting like some sort of revenant. And while it wasn't as smart as the combined Flywheels had been, at least it didn't talk to itself nearly as much.

A badly-shaken Ransack exited last, his purple armour plating covered with burn marks, dents and tears that matched the psychological wounds he carried. Among the youngest of the Decepticons, Ransack had watched his Rotor Force brother Powerdive destroyed on Nebulos, and he was having a hard time dealing with the fact that he was the last of the Decepticons' vaunted "second generation" still alive. Less than a decade old, he'd been born in the glory days of 2016. He hadn't had his spirits crushed by centuries worth of setbacks and defeats like the older Decepticons had, and their most recent losses had hit him harder than most.

Blast Off knew how he felt. He'd been on Earth in those days himself, along with his fellow Combaticons, the Constructicons, Breakdown and Ramjet. He'd seen the miraculous return of Megatron and Starscream. He'd been there when their revived leader had bested Optimus Prime, slaying the Autobot leader's Powermaster partner, destroying his Apex Armour and tearing the Matrix out of Prime's chest. Megatron had used the bauble to give birth to a new generation of Decepticon warriors: Rotor Force and the Cyberjets, the Laser Rods and Autorollers...and above them all proud, powerful Dreadwing and his partner Smokescreen. They were to have been the first of many, the vanguard of a new legion of Decepticons who would overrun the Earth before expanding to Cybertron, Chaar and Nebulos.

But now only Ransack remained of that once-mighty legion.

Blast Off supposed he should have seen it coming. After all, he'd also been there when everything went wrong. He'd watched with his own eyes as Optimus Prime – repaired and rebuild into a Laser Rod body – allied with the exiled Galvatron to take down Megatron. He'd stood by in disbelief as the Autobot leader revealed that Megatron was a fraud, a Quintesson construct built with Starscream's aid to and set upon them as a distraction that would allow the strange aliens to conquer Cybertron. He'd done nothing as Galvatron blew Starscream's head off, ending the supposedly 'immortal' Decepticon once and for all, and he'd swallowed his pride and let Optimus Prime do what needed to be done, slicing Megatron's head off with that damned shiny sword of his and reclaiming the Matrix for himself.

Blast Off had been there when the Decepticons' last, best chance for victory turned to ashes. A part of him had died that day too, so he knew exactly how young Ransack felt. It was the part of him that cared, the part of him that could feel hope or look on a situation with anything but sad resignation. And every day, every time he caught a glimpse of his own reflection in the mirror, he was reminded of it. He still wore the mark of those days, blotches of purple camouflage that many of the first-generation Decepticons under the reborn Megatron's command had adopted as a sign of solidarity. He'd kept it even after Megatron's defeat, wearing it as a badge of defiance against Galvatron's insanity. The leader had never been clear-headed enough to realize, of course, and with Cyclonus long-since dead no one was stupid enough to try and explain these things to him. But the other Decepticons all knew, and they'd kept their distance from him ever since...just like they'd kept their distance from the young Decepticons who Megatron had given life.

That suited Blast Off just fine. He liked the peace and quiet, and he really had no use for the sort of "socializing" that his lowbrow fellow Decepticons liked to engage in. But on rare times like this, the Combaticon truly wished he had a better grasp of how to deal with other people.

He wanted to reach out, to find some way to comfort his young friend and tell him that everything would be alright. But Blast Off had always been alone, aloof, set apart from his comrades. And that isolation, that distance he'd allowed to grow between himself and the rest of the world, was too wide a gulf for him to ever bridge with mere words. So instead the Combaticon did what he always did, waiting on the landing strip in shuttle mode until his comrade was gone out of sight and any chance at interaction had left with him.

"You all know why we're here."

Afterburner looked out at his fellow Decepticons, a neutral expression on his face.

"But in case there is any doubt, I shall spell it out explicitly. With the passing of our glorious leader Galvatron, and in the absence of an obvious heir like the late, lamented and not at all murdered-by-fellow-Decepticons Cyclonus, we have a tremendous opportunity. As the senior members of the Decepticon army, the eight of us have laid upon our shoulders the responsibility – nay, the duty – to select from amongst our number the new leader of the Decepticons. I know it is a grave task, my friends, and one that none of us have ever wanted to face, but I also know that we have it within us to do justice to the responsibility, and to--"

"Are you ever going to shut up?"

Afterburner looked down – way down – to see the Decepticon that had interrupted him. "My apologies, Direct-Hit. I was merely trying to set the stage for what--"

"No," the Micromaster snapped. "You were filling the air with slag, and I won't have none of that. Galvatron was a crazy piece of scrap, and ain't no one going to miss him. Cyclonus was a toady and we don't miss him either. If you're going to waste our time with fancy talk, at least say something that we don't all know is a lie."

"Of course. I'm just saying that--"

"We need a new boss. Yeah. We get that. We're not stupid, Afterburner, no matter how much you might think we are." Direct-Hit gestured around the table and Afterburner followed his gaze, taking in the six other Transformers who'd gathered with them. Bludgeon, Spinister, Scrapper, Motormaster, Hammer and Hun-grrr looked back at him.

Conspicuous by his absence was Skyquake, who had been severely injured in the latest attack and was currently having his leg rebuilt by Hook. No one remarked on his absence and certainly no one was foolish enough to suggest that they should wait until the large Predator was back on his feet. They might have respected or even feared the other Decepticon's physical prowess, but they all knew him well enough to realize how disruptive his pathological, cartoonishly evil behaviour would be in a meeting like this.

"But seriously," Direct-Hit continued, "this is a waste of time. I mean, what...you expect us to vote on who gets to be the new boss? And the other guys who stand up for the job, the guys who don't win, they're just going to take that and happily work for the new guy?"

"It's a novel concept, I admit," Afterburner told him. "But I posit that it is worth a try. After all, it should be obvious to each and every one of you that I'm preeminently qualified for the position. Honestly I don't expect much disagreement."

"You have a point," Spinister admitted. "Not about being leader. You'd be a horrible one." Everyone but Afterburner nodded in agreement. "But our numbers are depleted. We can't afford a protracted struggle. We certainly can't afford to kill each other. If we can avoid that, we should. It's simple pragmatism. If that means adopting a system as distasteful as democracy, we have to consider it."

"Fine," Motormaster barked. "Have it your way. But you had better vote for me, Targetmaster, or I'll—"

"Get yourself killed, like you managed to do with all the rest of your Stunticons?" Scrapper looked around the table. "Unlike our friend Motormaster, my Constructicons haven't suffered a single casualty. On top of that, I'm an engineer. Obviously I'm best-suited to lead."

"Revisionist history," Hammer snarled. "You and your Constructicons died and my Constructor Squad rebuilt you! Without us you wouldn't even be a part of this conversation!"

"Rebuilt us with substandard materials!" Scrapper shot back. "Do you know how long it took for Hook and I to upgrade your handiwork into something that met basic design standards?" After a second, he added to that, "And why the hell did you paint us all yellow?"

"Gnnn...you're all mad!" Hun-grrr barked. "My Terrorcons and I are warriors! You and your engineers...drrr...what good are you in a fight? Do you think Scrapper here can stand up to Optimus Prime? Ha!"

"What, and you think you can?" Motormaster laughed. "I'm twice the Decepticon you ever will be! And I'll be happy to prove it."

"Any day, any time," Hun-grrr told him. "Bring it! Gaaa!"

"Now, now, gentlemechs," Afterburner said, "this was just the sort of unpleasantness I was trying to avoid. You really need to calm down and--"

"Shuddup!" Motormaster snapped, backhanding the smaller Decepticon out of his chair before he jumped up and lunged at Hun-grrr.

Afterburner pushed himself up off the floor and looked around, hoping to see a friendly face in the room who'd be willing to help him restore order. But he saw nothing but anger and hate on the five faces he saw staring at each other.

Five faces? he thought, confused. There were eight of us.

He looked around again and realized that he hadn't miscounted. In all the confusion, Spinister and Bludgeon had quietly slipped out.

"Honourless curs."

"What did you expect?" Spinister asked Bludgeon, resignation evident in his voice. "Megatron and Galvatron cultivated this type of behaviour. It was easier for them to control us when every group hated and feared the others. No one could ever organize enough followers to overthrow them." He gestured back toward the building they'd left. "Or, evidently, to succeed them."

"It makes you wonder how they managed to put together an army to start with, I would say. I mean...that sort of an attitude isn't really conducive to recruitment, especially of the sort of ruffians we seem to be surrounded with. Why would they join up to start with, if they hated everyone else?"

The two Decepticons turned toward the source of the new voice and saw that Afterburner had joined them.

"Indeed," Bludgeon agreed, inclining his head forward in a fractional nod.

"In fact, frankly, I can't understand why I ever even had the momentary desire to lead these fools. We should let them beat themselves silly, then go back in and slit their fuel lines when they're too tired to resist."

"Dishonourable," Bludgeon told him. "But tempting. A purge of the fools at the top of the chain of command would be a boon for morale, and it would make us a much more reliable fighting force. A shame so many of them are gestalt components."

Spinister shrugged. "Only the Constructicons have a full roster," he said. "But our numbers are depleted enough as it is. Unnecessary killing would hurt the cause."

"While it would be the most expedient solution," Afterburner agreed, "and as much as I regret saying so, you were absolutely correct. We simply cannot afford to lose anyone at this juncture, not even ignorant boors like them. What we need is a strong leader who can force them in line." He glanced sidelong at Bludgeon.

"No," the Pretender said flatly. "As a master of Metallikato, I could beat any one of them in battle. But a part of Metallikato is accepting your limits. I cannot beat all of them, at least not without lethal force. And even if I could, I am a warrior. I'm not a leader. I may be a better choice than them, but I would still be a poor choice." He stopped walking, leaned against the guardrail of the crossover bridge they were walking on and stared out at the desolation of Chaar. "You know him better than I, Spinister. Do you think Scorponok could be convinced to return?"

Spinister joined him in looking out, taking in the buildings and towers that dotted the Chaar landscape. They were his doing, he knew, but he wasn't proud of them. They had been build using the materials his men had seized on Nebulos, and the construction had been fuelled by the Energon he'd claimed from the selfsame planet. But they were a waste, a monument to madness, a fortress defending nothing on a world that wasn't worth occupying. He'd argued long and hard that the Constructicons should have been sent to Nebulos to fortify the world and transform it into a stronghold that could support the Decepticon army for centuries, but Galvatron had ignored him and frittered away their gains building creature comforts in the middle of nowhere. It had been a thoroughly pointless endeavour, like most everything Galvatron had embarked on during his thoroughly pointless reign.

"He would," Spinister said cautiously, "if we knew where to find him. We don't."

Galvatron's madness blinded him to many things, but Scorponok's ambition was so obvious that even a fool could see it. But like the fool he was, Galvatron had leaped from the treachery of the largest of the Headmasters to an assumption of guilt for all the Headmasters. After he'd executed Fangry and Snapdragon without so much as a word, the others had fled before he could turn his wrath upon them too.

"There hasn't been a confirmed sighting in almost five years. If they're still alive, once word reaches them they'll make themselves known. But that may take years."

"Finding them will be prodigiously difficult, I concur," Afterburner agreed. "You may think this madness, but what about Sixshot?"

"Sixshot isn't a Decepticon anymore," Bludgeon said firmly. "He ran from Galvatron and sought sanctuary among the Autobots instead of facing him in battle and accepting the chance that he might lose. His cowardice disqualifies him."

"Perhaps...Trypticon?"

Afterburner turned to look at Spinister like he'd just nominated Optimus Prime. "Trypticon is unbelievably stupid, is he not?"

"No," Spinister shook his head. "When he was first built, yes. Galvatron wanted him that way so that he could control him more easily. But the Constructicons had to give him powerful processors to control a body that big, so he learned quickly. Eventually he figured out what Galvatron had done to him and why. After that he parked himself in base mode, built himself an extranet uplink and shot at Galvatron and his loyalists whenever they tried to make him do anything. He's still on Chaar, but no one has approached him in years."

"And with good cause," Bludgeon told him. "Antagonizing a transformer as powerful as he would be the height of foolishness."

"Perhaps," Spinister admitted. "Perhaps. But considering the situation, I'm inclined to say that it's a chance we need to take."

Afterburner looked like he was lost in thought for a few moments. "I'm reluctantly forced to agree," he said at last.

Bludgeon nodded curtly. "Very well. If you two wish to visit Trypticon, I will stay here and try to keep our 'leaders' from spreading their violence to the troops at large. Be quick."

Spinister returned the nod. "Be safe."

"Somehow, I doubt it."

Wildfly was cackling about one crude joke or another when the doors to the sensor bunker swung open to admit Afterburner and Spinister. Flattop and Roughstuff immediately straightened up, so the former Pretender reluctantly did the same.

"Sirs?" Flattop prompted. "What can we do for you?"

Afterburner spoke. "We have a matter of the utmost sensitivity that we need to discuss with you, on the condition that you not divulge our request to anyone beyond our small circle."

"Huh?" Wildfly asked.

"Tell us where Trypticon is," Spinister said plainly. "Don't tell anyone that we asked, or we'll shoot you."

"Oh." Wildfly shrugged. "Uh...sorry. I haven't seen Trypsie in years, boss."

"He wants us to use the sensors, moron," Roughstuff exclaimed, swatting his fellow monitor upside the head.

Flattop, meanwhile, actually did his job. "He's on the move a lot, probably so we don't do whatever you're thinking about doing. Last time he pinged our sensor net, he was pretty much dead-centre on the other side of Chaar. Bedded down by the looks of it, recharging his power cells with starlight. The logs say that when he does that he usually stays put for a while, so you should be able to catch him there."

Spinister looked at Afterburner. "That's too far for us to fly on our own. Someone will have died before we could return."

Afterburner nodded. "I'll find Blast Off," he said, thankfully keeping things simple for once.

"Good." Spinister turned back to Flattop, but he didn't need to say anything. The smaller Decepticons already understood.

"We know," Flattop assured him. "If we say a word, we'll die a horrible death as an example to the others. Don't worry. Our vocorders are sealed."

Wildfly cackled.

"Don't worry. Roughstuff and I won't let him outside until you get back."

Wildfly's face fell.

"Not good enough." Spinister grabbed the smaller Decepticon by the scruff of the neck and lifted him up to eye level. "You're coming with us. And you'll behave, unless you think you'll Trypticon will enjoy your antics. But personally, I don't like your chances."

Wildfly just stared blankly at the Targetmaster. "Uh...was that a joke?"

"No," Spinister said humorlessly as he dragged the much-smaller Decepticon off.

"Look, you're smart guys and I know you know what you're doing," Blast Off said.

"I'm not!" a terrified Wildfly chirped. "I don't have a clue!"

Blast Off sighed. "Yes, Wildfly. I know. I feel dumber just for having you as a passenger. I was talking to the grownups."

"Awww..."

"You were saying?" Spinister prompted.

"I know you understand the risks," the Combaticon said, "but you've still got time to call this off. We can turn back now and no one would know except for the four of us."

"Sure they would!"

"No one would know except for the three of us and the tiny, annoying corpse that we buried in the regolith on the way back," Blast Off amended.

"Shutting up now."

"If only." Spinister sighed. Then he put Wildfly out of mind and addressed their shuttle. "We know it's a risk, but someone needs to stop the Decepticons from tearing each other apart over Galvatron's scraps. Would that I could do so myself, but no one is left who can except for Trypticon."

"I hear what you're saying," Blast Off told him. "But Trypticon hasn't been very welcoming to visitors. Remember the time Galvatron sent the Sweeps after him? When the only survivor came back hypno-beamed and suicide-bombed Galvatron's throne room?"

"I remember," Spinister said. "But Galvatron is dead. Trypticon has no reason to hate us anymore."

"You hope."

"That was the implication, yes," Afterburner cut in. "But we're fully committed to this course of action, Blast Off. I truly do appreciate your concern for our well-being, but we must see this through."

"If you're sure." Blast Off was silent for a few minutes before he announced, "We're here. I'm setting us down half a klick south of Trypticon's location. I'd recommend walking from here. We don't want to spook him into shooting us down before we even get to talk."

Spinister led his three companions off the shuttle, but he was surprised when Blast Off transformed to robot mode and joined them.

"You don't need to come with us," he told the Combaticon. "If things go badly--"

"If things go badly there won't be much left for me to go back to," Blast Off told him. His voice had a forlorn sound to it, but underneath that was just a hint of hope. "Other than hostile Terrorcons and Micromasters. If I'm going to die I'd rather do it trying to make a difference, thanks."

"Then welcome to the team," Spinister told him.

The four Decepticons walked the last half-kilometre in silence, not even Wildfly being uncouth enough to break it with pointless words. After a few minutes' walking, they stopped a few paces away from the gigantic Trypticon's base mode.

Taking a step forward, Spinister prepared himself to speak. Before he could get a single word out, though, he was interrupted.

"No."

The booming denial shook his confidence, but Spinister refused to let it show.

"Trypticon, we're here to talk," the Targetmaster said. "Galvatron is dead."

"My indifference knows no bounds."

"Galvatron is dead and the Decepticons are in shambles," Spinister continued, undeterred. "Right now, on the other side of the planet, a civil war is breaking out."

"Again, I'm finding it hard to care."

"The Decepticons need a strong leader, Trypticon."

"And you think that you're that leader? Good for you, Spinister. I always knew you had it in you." Trypticon's voice was practically dripping with sarcasm. "I'm glad that's settled, but you really didn't need to bother me with it."

"No, I--" Spinister let out a frustrated sigh. "I have my allies, I admit. So do five or six others. But I refuse to kill Decepticons, and I refuse to let the other Decepticons kill each other! We need a leader who can control the factions, put the leaders in their place and stop the madness before it starts. We need you, Trypticon."

"And finally we come to the point." The citybot sighed. "I don't want the job," he said. "I never wanted the job, dammit. Why do you suppose I left?"

"You were scared of Galvatron!" Wildfly interjected. "We all know it!"

"Is that so?"

The ground rumbled, trembling beneath their feet as Trypticon's massive body started to reconfigure itself. Towers and weapons emplacements slid away as the battle platform folded up, pitched forward and reassembled in the form of a towering saurian.

"Do I look like I scare easily?" Trypticon asked. It was a rhetorical question and everyone knew it. "I fear no one and nothing. I left because I was sick of being a tool for a cause that I don't believe in."

"In spite of your declarations of apathy, you certainly do seem to be wearing a gigantic Decepticon badge on your snout," Afterburner observed. "And you certainly don't appear to have left Chaar, the only world in the galaxy with a Decepticon population."

"Yeah!" Wildfly shouted.

"Quiet!" Spinister snapped. Then he muttered to himself, "Why did I bring that moron along?"

"No. You're right," Trypticon admitted. "I am a Decepticon. But I was born a Decepticon. I didn't choose that life, and I don't appreciate having it forced on me. I'm a sentient being, not a mindless weapon for a madman like Galvatron to point at his enemies.

"And once I was old enough to understand how insane Galvatron truly was, I knew that it would be left to me to pick up the pieces. No one else was strong enough. When Scorponok joined us I was so happy, not just because he wanted to be leader but because he was strong enough to pull it off. He seemed like a natural replacement..until he let Galvatron drive him off. After that, I couldn't take the crushing inevitability of it anymore. So I left." His optics narrowed. "But leaving obviously wasn't enough, because here we are."

"Yeah," Blast Off said. "Here we are. But you're not a child anymore, Trypticon. And by the sounds of it, you've had a lot of time to think about what you do want. But what good are all those brains if you're not going to use them for something productive?"

Trypticon didn't have an answer for that.

"It doesn't matter," he said finally. "I won't do it. Don't ask me again."

The repulsor discs in his hips thrummed, and the four smaller Decepticons found themselves being pushed away.

"We'll die!" Spinister barked, cold desperation clear in his voice. "Every one of us! Is that what you want?"

"All I want," Trypticon said stoically, "is to be left in peace."

"And what about the Autobots?" Wildfly challenged him. "If we all die, they win! You want to be the last Decepticon alive? You wanna let the Autobots win the war 'cause you're too scared to try being the boss? I betcha Optimus Prime'll name a holiday for you!"

Trypticon roared, enraged.

Afterburner groaned. "Don't antagonize the gargantuan saurian, Wildfly," he admonished. "I enjoy living and don't want to be cannon-blasted any time in the foreseeable future if it's at all possible, and your taunting has already had a detrimental effect on my survival odds."

"Oh. Right. The whole 'dying' thing." Wildfily winced.

But Trypticon didn't attack. His repulsors flickered off and he just stood there, staring down at the smaller Decepticons.

"So, uh...run away, guys?" Wildfly asked.

"No." Spinister shook his head. "We came here for a reason. We're either leaving with our new leader or not at all. Fleeing would be cowardly, and cowardice is beneath us."

"Not me!"

The Targetmaster grabbed Wildfly by the wing. "You're not going anywhere."

"Brave," Trypticon said offhandedly. "Brave but futile. I could destroy you where you stand before you even know you've been attacked."

"But you won't," Spinister told him. "Because as much as it pains me to say, you know Wildfly is right."

"Yeah!" Wildfly shouted. "I—wait, did you just say I'm right? No one ever says I'm right."

"That's because you're never right about anything." Trypticon told him. "Until now."

Motormaster raised his sword over his head, gripped it with both hands and plunged it town toward Scrapper's chest. "This ends now!"

"No!"

The Stuniticon leader scowled as his blade halted in mid-thrust, deflecting away from his target. He turned his gaze up and met Bludgeon with a glare. "You dare? You'll be the next to taste my wrath, Pretender!"

"No wrath will be tasted today," Spinister's voice cut through the melee. "Put your weapons down now!"

"Grrr...and what gives you the authority to give us orders?" Hun-grrr demanded.

"Since you five prefer fighting to voting," Spinister told him calmly, "the rest of us went ahead without you."

"Yeah!" Wildfly, who'd wandered in behind the Targetmaster, exclaimed cheerfully.

"Your input would have been appreciated," Afterburner told them, "but it was hardly required. Your immature actions prove that you have no right to have a say in the process. So we voted without you and chose the next Decepticon leader on our own."

"Is that so?" Direct-Hit climbed to his feet in the corner where Hun-grrr had tossed him, an incensed expression on his face. "My Battle Squad will have something to say about that!"

"And my Constructicons!"

"And my Terrorcons!"

"And my Constructor Squad!"

"And my, uh..." Motormaster looked annoyed. "Never mind that. Which of you idiots is putting his head on the chopping block?"

"None of them," Blast Off, who had hung back near the door, piped up. "The three of them agreed that such a lofty position called for a lofty person to fill it, and so..."

"They chose me."

The room rumbled with Trypticon's words, then rumbled a second time as he tore the roof off with his jaws and glared down at the squabbling Transformers.

"I didn't want to believe that you lot were so pathetic that you'd rather kill each other than cooperate," the dinosaur said contemptuously, "but obviously you are. And obviously I am the only one who can save you idiots from yourselves and stop the Autobots. So I'm going to, whether you like it or not. I'm not happy about this, so you don't want to test my patience. Either stand down or I'll make you stand down."

"You and what army?" Motormaster demanded. The Stunticon brandished his sword threateningly. "No one will follow a hulking brute like you. In fact, I'll bet that your stupidity won't do anything – other than uniting all the Decepticons behind me, of course. Go back to whatever hole you've been hiding in, coward. We don't need you, we don't want you, and we'll--"

The boxy grey and black Decepticon's rant stopped dead in its tracks and he stood there, immobile. The other four Decepticons looked around in confusion, until they saw the telltale red glow of hypno-beams shining from Trypticon's eyes.

"Behave," the giant saurian said bluntly.

Motormaster nodded woodenly. Then he righted one of the chairs that had been knocked down and sat at what remained of the table, crossing his arms and then not so much as twitching.

Hun-grrr looked over at Scrapper, then at the two Micromaster commanders. Finally, with a resigned shrug he called out, "Drrr...long live Trypticon!"

"Trypticon!" the other would-be leaders chanted unenthusiastically.

Trypticon just laughed. "Maybe this won't be so bad after all."

Epilogue

Six weeks later

Spinister stood on the dark orange balcony, staring down at the blasted and charred battlefield below with a sense of satisfaction. Satisfaction, he mused, and perhaps a small amount of vindication.

It had been a busy month for the Decepticons. In the wake of Galvatron's failed assault on Nebulos they had launched yet another mission to the war-ravaged world. Spinister himself had led a small team that had harried Hot Rod and the planet's tired Autobot defenders, terrorizing the pro-Autobot population for weeks until there had been no choice but to call in a support team from Cybertron to root them out.

Of course, that had been the plan all along. Once Optimus Prime and his reinforcements had arrived, Spinister had sent the "go" signal to Trypticon and the main Decepticon battle group. Six hours later, thirty Decepticons rained down on Earth's Autobot City armed with every scrap of resources they could pry off of Chaar's blasted surface. It had been a wild gambit, and it the Decepticons had failed it would have been the end of them.

Of course, that hadn't happened. In fact, as Spinister surveyed the ruins it was impossible to deny that the battle had gone better than he had thought possible. Autobot City was theirs, albeit no longer in mint condition. The broken body of Metroplex lay at it's gates, having been laid low by the conquering Trypticon. Their leader was in city mode now, directing the Decepticons' reconstruction teams and providing limited power to the city's vital functions from his own supplies.

The Constructicons, Spinister knew, were working feverishly to bring the base's defences and geothermal generators back online. The Constructor Squad, meanwhile, had been dispatched to the ruins of Metroplex himself. Trypticon had plans for his former rival, it seemed – plans that he called "Metrotitan". He hadn't gone into details, but he didn't need to. The brutal pragmatism of what he had implied was extremely impressive.

Although their guardian had fallen, the rest of the Autobots had escaped with their lives thanks to the quick thinking of the Astro Squad. The Micromasters had managed to evacuate Ultra Magnus and his subordinates through a gauntlet of Decepticon flyers under Skyquake's command, getting off the ground only moments before Bludgeon and his ground troops stormed their launch pad. It was unfortunate, because although Earth was theirs they'd failed to land the crippling body blow against the Autobots that they'd hoped for. Spinister held no illusions. Even with Trypticon leading them, and even with Autobot City – now Decepticon City – under their control, the Decepticons were outgunned and outnumbered. They had the run of the Earth for now, but only for a few months at the outset. The Autobots would be back and they would be back in force.

Metrotitan would help, certainly, once he was online. But it wouldn't be enough. Trypticon was already drawing up plans for a new generation of Decepticons, scratch-built like him and given life with an infusion of data rather than the magic glow of Vector Sigma or the Matrix, a third generation created in his own image. But they were a long way off. For now they would have to make do with the addition of the Seacons, who had busied themselves terrorizing Earth's oceans for the last decade with minimal Autobot resistance. They'd gone rogue, essentially, but then so had Trypticon. And like Trypticon, now that Galvatron's insanity had been purged the Seacons were more than happy to return to the fold.

Even that might not be enough, he knew. But then again, it just might. Spinister had no idea what the future held, but he knew one thing for sure. For the first time in decades, the Decepticons had direction. For the first time in decades, they had a leader who put the good of the cause ahead of personal gratification or glory. And for the first time in decades...the Decepticons had hope.

Hope wouldn't be enough...but it was a really good place to start.

"Long live Trypticon," Spinister whispered softly. Then he took one last look at the victorious battlefield before turning around and walking back inside.

They still had a lot of work to do.

Blackjack
2012-08-20, 08:19 AM
"And why the hell did you paint us all yellow?"

God, I giggled myself silly at that line. :D

Trypticon... Mmm, Trypticon as a leader is a novel concept, and being portrayed in his Marvel/War Within portrayal, with a huge processor as something to tie it in... and the hypno-beam turns Sweeps into kamikaze bombers! That's fun.

Good stuff, good stuff, taking Bludgeon, Spinister and a bunch of second-tier Decepticons like Blast Off, Afterburner, Wildfly, Hammer and Direct-Hit and putting them into a story that works... The struggles for leadership and such is well-portrayed, although, well, the many deaths prior to this story is kind of sad. Poor Needlenose.

I absolutely love how Hammer and Direct-Hit are treated as equal to the combiner team leaders.

Afterburner, Spinister, Blast Off and Wildfly are great and fully-developed, but then for the former two you've got lots of practice. ;) But good god, Wildfly is a precious, precious ass. "I bet Optimus Prime will name a holiday after you!"

The conversation between Blast Off and Wildfly is hilarious as well.

I like how Galvatron's insane rule had resulted in the desertion of almost anyone who could stand up against the Autobots.

Good stuff, good stuff.

Warcry
2012-08-20, 05:39 PM
"And why the hell did you paint us all yellow?"

God, I giggled myself silly at that line. :D
Most of the G2 colour schemes left me feeling the same way. My general reaction to things like yellow Constructicons or blue Dinobots or purple Ramjets at the time was "Huh?" Some of the colour schemes have grown on me in the interim but I'll never understand some of the design choices they made.

Trypticon... Mmm, Trypticon as a leader is a novel concept
It's actually something that you can blame on his original profile (http://tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/profiles/tfutrypticon.php), although sadly there's never even been a hint of it anywhere in his official characterization.

"Although he believes he will one day rule the Decepticons, he has so little use for anyone else that this prospect barely has any appeal to him."

It's something I've always wanted to see actually happen, but most of the time his character doesn't go beyond "big stompy dinosaur" even when he's treated as intelligent.

The struggles for leadership and such is well-portrayed, although, well, the many deaths prior to this story is kind of sad.
It is, although that's usually how I thought of things when I was a kid -- if I didn't have a toy, they'd been killed in battle. I don't think I ever realized how incredibly bloody that was until I wrote it down in story form, though.

But good god, Wildfly is a precious, precious ass.
I really enjoyed writing Wildfly. Without his Pretender shell he's basically become a harmless, dimwitted mascot.

I like how Galvatron's insane rule had resulted in the desertion of almost anyone who could stand up against the Autobots.
It amazes me we didn't see any more defections (bar Blitzwing and Octane) in the show itself. Some of the 'Cons hinted at it in Webworld, but I guess they were scared off when Galvatron came back even crazier than before.

Aside from the main Trypticon story, a lot of the plot points are actually shoutouts to my childhood and/or my current collection that won't be clear to anyone but me. I guess I might as well spell them all out section by section...

I never owned Galvatron, but my cousins did and we played the life out of him. Last time I saw the guy he was missing a hand and his particle cannon, could barely stand up and his joints squeaked like a rusty gate every time you moved them. I dunno if that toy's still kicking (one of my cousins did take lots of TFs with him when he moved up north) but it's so beat up that we eventually stopped using it when we played so, in my toy universe, he's dead. I didn't have Spinister as a kid either, but I picked him up probably seven or eight years ago now on eBay, back when it was still possible to find a good deal there. He's in more-or-less mint condition except that his stickers are very worn, which makes him look like the survivor of a thousand back-yard battles and lends to his characterization here as war-weary but still resolute. Needlenose I've never owned, but since I'm constitutionally incapable of not making Spinister a lead character in my Decepticon-centric stories I felt obliged to at least mention his protege.

Roughstuff I had as a kid and his trailer fell apart years ago (the pins that hold the wings on fell out for no reason). My Flattop is actually a bootleg that came packaged with Broadside serving as his carrier, so I've never actually had his transport. Wildfly I've had a soft spot for ever since he mouthed off to Galvatron in Rhythms of Darkness. I only bought him recently, but when we were kids a friend of mine had the whole Pretender Monster team. The rubbery shells were already degrading then, and IIRC both Slog and Bristleback contracted terminal cases of Gold Plastic Syndrome in those years. Flamefeather, Whisper, Storm Cloud, Chop Shop, Skyjack and Viewfinder are all toys I destroyed as a kid.

Motormaster's a terrible toy, but I bought a junker a few years ago because I'm fond of his bullying, nasty character. My Swindle is the G2 version and really is missing an arm. Blast Off is also G2, but a new acquisition. I got Flywheels' tank half in a trade years ago but didn't know who or what it was until I became a part of the online fandom. And Ransack is the only G2-original design I've still got, even though between my friends and I we had a lot more back in the day.

Afterburner I've had for a long time, and I'd been very fond of him since I liked jet Decepticons as a kid. The same goes for Bludgeon, Hun-grrr and Scrapper. The Micromaster Combiners were always cannon fodder when I was little, since none of the team members had personalities, but I've come to like them more since Dreamwave made them actual characters. And my Skyquake actually does have a (slightly) broken foot, which provided a nice excuse for me to exclude him from the story when I realized after writing it that I'd completely forgotten that he exists.

The Constructicons' death and subsequent rebirth is also an inside joke that only I'll get. When I was little, between the three of us my cousins and I had the original Constructicons, inherited from older relatives in pretty beat-up shape. They're all gone now, I think, and other versions of the team have come and gone as well. Currently I've got a G2 Scrapper (hence the "yellow" joke) and a full team of bootlegs (hence the "poorly built" joke).

All Bludgeon's talk of "honour" and "curs" and how he's a master of Metallikato reflect the only parts of his personality that actually made an impact when I was a kid. With the outright villainy cut, he feels like a character that's wandered in from a hilariously bad kung-fu movie and I kinda like him better that way. Sixshot's defection is a shout-out to the Japanese cartoons, and Scorponok and (most) of the Headmasters fled instead of died because I like the characters too much to kill them off en masse like that.

Trypticon uses his repulsors and hypno-beams during the story, only two of the dozen or so special abilities that his bio named and that never get used in official fiction because it's more fun for the giant dinosaur to step on stuff. I'm just sad there was no place to use the rocket backpack, because the only thing better than a giant anatomically incorrect tyrannosaur is a giant flying anatomically incorrect tyrannosaur. His "I got older and grew up" explanation for not being the cartoon moron anymore is actually the same reason I gave as a kid for why Pretender Grimlock was the Autobots' Lieutenant Commander when I was little, since even then I couldn't see cartoon Grimlock being in charge of anything.

In the confrontation between the different team leaders, having each of them shout of their name of their unit for no reason was a deliberate throwback to the cartoon and Budiansky comics that always did the same. I wish I'd thought to have one of them name their weapons as they attacked, too, just to top it off.

In the epilogue, although obviously I had no idea who Metrotitan was as a kid I frequently had the one side overrun the other side's base (which, er, was usually made up of Castle Greyskull, the Super Powers HQ building or my TMNT sewer). It was also pretty common (since I never had Megatron or Galvatron) for a "new" Decepticon leader (originally Hun-grrr, later Bludgeon or Skyquake) to show up and kick the Autobots' butts. Likewise, it was common for any new toys I got to just wander in with minimal explanation even if they'd been "dead" in my story before. Hence the Seacons randomly returned to the fold at the end of the story with no buildup or foreshadowing because I'd just ordered the reissue online.

Writing this was so much fun. It's a shame my Autobot collection is mostly normal guys like Prime and Magnus and Hot Rod and Prowl, and mostly shiny reissues. I wanna do a story like this for the good guys, but I'm not sure it'd turn out to be as much fun as this one.

Blackjack
2012-08-21, 11:28 AM
Most of the G2 colour schemes left me feeling the same way. My general reaction to things like yellow Constructicons or blue Dinobots or purple Ramjets at the time was "Huh?" Some of the colour schemes have grown on me in the interim but I'll never understand some of the design choices they made.

Mmm, I've never liked the yellow Cosntructicons full stop, and they've never grown on me. Same for the Dinobots.... their G1 colour scheme is too vivid in my head to be replaced.

Purple Ramjet, I absolutely loved because it's so neon and so offensively bright, but then I've always had strange taste. Sideswipe and Breakdown I also fell for instantly. I was initially appalled by Bruticus and Superion, but I've grown to love the G2 Combaticons, as well as some of the Aerialbots, Slingshot and Skydive in particular.

It's actually something that you can blame on his original profile (http://tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/profiles/tfutrypticon.php), although sadly there's never even been a hint of it anywhere in his official characterization.

Huh, I've never remembered that bit of his bio. One of these days when I have some free time I'll have to sit down and give the old TFU and MTMTE profiles a run.

Yeah, in the Marvel comics and Dreamwave where he shows up as an intelligent guy, his character never strays beyond 'big-ass Decepticon weapon'. Did he ever appear in IDW comics, barring short flashback non-speaking cameos?

It amazes me we didn't see any more defections (bar Blitzwing and Octane) in the show itself. Some of the 'Cons hinted at it in Webworld, but I guess they were scared off when Galvatron came back even crazier than before.

Blitzwing was the only one who defected because Galvatron is a shit leader. Octane was more looking out for himself, and I guess technically Trypticon defected as well, but, yeah, I guess everyone's just too scared of Galvatron to do anything about it.

Motormaster was one of the guys threatening Cyclonus to fix Galvatron, wasn't it? He may be a crappy toy but in the cartoon he was such a huge, loud-mouthed ass that I like him.

My Flattop is actually a bootleg that came packaged with Broadside serving as his carrier, so I've never actually had his transport.

This is so hilarious and random. They actually package bootleg Flattops and Broadsides together now? I'm going to have to try and hunt that set down.

Viewfinder

What about Spectrum and Spyglass? Did you own all three Reflectors, or just Viewfinder?

Blast Off is also G2, but a new acquisition.

I like your explanation of Blast Off keeping those odd-looking purple camo deco, which clashes with the otherwise beautiful paintjob.

Afterburner I've had for a long time, and I'd been very fond of him since I liked jet Decepticons as a kid.

Explains your love for the feller, and why he's leading the Skyscorchers instead of the other guy. Terradive? Windrazor? Whichever one of them is supposed to be the leader. Pretty sure it's Windrazor, but Terradive sounds about right too...

I've come to like them more since Dreamwave made them actual characters.

Mmm, the Military Squad still seemed quite generic to me, Fireshot and Vanquish aside, but the Constructor Squad have highly improved with Dreamwave's MTMTE.

All Bludgeon's talk of "honour" and "curs" and how he's a master of Metallikato reflect the only parts of his personality that actually made an impact when I was a kid. With the outright villainy cut, he feels like a character that's wandered in from a hilariously bad kung-fu movie and I kinda like him better that way.

Bludgeon's good fun whether he's a psychopath or someone from a kung-fu movie.

I'm just sad there was no place to use the rocket backpack, because the only thing better than a giant anatomically incorrect tyrannosaur is a giant flying anatomically incorrect tyrannosaur.

So why didn't you? Could've placed a scene when Trypticon, Spinister and company got back to where Motormaster and Scrapper were strangling each other.

since even then I couldn't see cartoon Grimlock being in charge of anything.

Cartoon Grimlock is good to laugh at, but unlike the Marvel Grimlock, even the cruel jackass that led the Autobots in the Budiasky days, cartoon Grimlock's such a dimwit that it's difficult to believe he's in charge of anything.

having each of them shout of their name of their unit for no reason

I thought it was quite cute.

Warcry
2012-08-22, 04:09 AM
Purple Ramjet, I absolutely loved because it's so neon and so offensively bright, but then I've always had strange taste.
Purple Ramjet, ew. The only thing the poor guy has going for him is that he looks like a robot dressed up in KKK robes. If you take that away from him the toy's just ugly. Never was a fan of Military Camo Starscream either, though in that case it was the terrible new missile launchers they got more than anything else.

Slingshot (when he was a robot rather than a pile of crumbled gold plastic under a chestplate), Skydive, Blast Off, shiny gold Bumblebee, Prime with the black trailer and Sideswipe are my favourite G2 redecos. The green versions of Slag and Snarl aren't bad either from a purely aesthetic perspective, but the Dinobots' G1 colour scheme is so iconic that they just look wrong anyway.

Yeah, in the Marvel comics and Dreamwave where he shows up as an intelligent guy, his character never strays beyond 'big-ass Decepticon weapon'. Did he ever appear in IDW comics, barring short flashback non-speaking cameos?
Not yet. :(

Motormaster was one of the guys threatening Cyclonus to fix Galvatron, wasn't it? He may be a crappy toy but in the cartoon he was such a huge, loud-mouthed ass that I like him.
Motormaster, Swindle and Laserbeak, if memory serves. And I agree...cartoon Motormaster is good fun. The absolutely vicious abuser in his bio got toned down into a mostly-ineffectual, blustering bully.

This is so hilarious and random. They actually package bootleg Flattops and Broadsides together now? I'm going to have to try and hunt that set down.
Good luck with that. I got the set ten years ago, and the world was awash with them at the time, but I haven't seen one for sale in ages. Flattop and the strange half-Blitzwing, half-Overcharge are the best thing about the set (http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/reviews/oth_kotriplechangers.php), though.

What about Spectrum and Spyglass? Did you own all three Reflectors, or just Viewfinder?
I've still got Spectro and Spyglass, although they're a more than a little worse for wear by now. I got them through the original mail-order offer back in the 80s.

Explains your love for the feller, and why he's leading the Skyscorchers instead of the other guy. Terradive? Windrazor? Whichever one of them is supposed to be the leader. Pretty sure it's Windrazor, but Terradive sounds about right too...
Windrazor is usually their leader, yes, but since I don't have any other Skyscorcher toys for the purposes of the story they're all dead anyway. I don't think it was clear in the story but I figured on Afterburner being chief engineer -- his function is "Technicians Master", after all, and most of the Euro-G1 characters had hilariously-inflated tech specs so he easily outranks the likes of Scrapper or Hammer.

So why didn't you? Could've placed a scene when Trypticon, Spinister and company got back to where Motormaster and Scrapper were strangling each other.
Just because it'd be fun doesn't necessarily make it a good idea, story-wise. I didn't think there was room for an extra scene there, although that was how I figured he got back to base so quickly.

Blackjack
2012-08-22, 05:05 AM
Purple Ramjet, ew. The only thing the poor guy has going for him is that he looks like a robot dressed up in KKK robes. If you take that away from him the toy's just ugly. Never was a fan of Military Camo Starscream either, though in that case it was the terrible new missile launchers they got more than anything else.

Starscream is ugly, sure, but come on, purple Ramjet is so hilarious. It's like he's trying to top Skyquake and Spinister by being the most outrageously coloured Decepticon. Purple, teal and black has never looked so good before! I mean, Ramjet will always be white with maroon wings in my head, but G2 Ramjet is just so awesomely silly that I like him.

Hell, the only thing even worse than G2 Ramjet is Action Master Thundercracker, and IIRC Botcon made a toy of him with the Classics mold, which looked so hilarious.

Motormaster, Swindle and Laserbeak, if memory serves.

Swindle makes sense, he was always rather vocal in the cartoon. Laserbeak, though? That's like, random.

most of the Euro-G1 characters had hilariously-inflated tech specs so he easily outranks the likes of Scrapper or Hammer.

Yep. The likes of Pyro and Rotorstorm and Falcon and Skyquake and Clench actually outrank practically everyone in G1, which is pretty ridiculous.

tahukanuva
2012-08-22, 06:50 AM
Hell, the only thing even worse than G2 Ramjet is Action Master Thundercracker, and IIRC Botcon made a toy of him with the Classics mold, which looked so hilarious.

They actually did both of them. The only times I've wished I were a member of the club, in fact.

Fab story, Warcry. The short glimpses at an extended backstory were my favorite bits.

Blackjack
2012-08-22, 07:57 AM
They actually did both of them. The only times I've wished I were a member of the club, in fact.

Heh, I didn't know about Botcon's G2 Ramjet, and it looks just as hilarious as the original one. Although the teal does look better with purple than the original sickly greenish-blue colour...

Botcon's Action Master Thundercracker is so ****ing hilarious in both robot and jet modes that I thought it was an April Fool's prank joke when I saw the news up on Allspark.

Warcry
2012-08-22, 03:13 PM
Starscream is ugly, sure, but come on, purple Ramjet is so hilarious. It's like he's trying to top Skyquake and Spinister by being the most outrageously coloured Decepticon. Purple, teal and black has never looked so good before! I mean, Ramjet will always be white with maroon wings in my head, but G2 Ramjet is just so awesomely silly that I like him.
Eh. I like the Botcon version, for sure, but I don't think the colour scheme works on the original. The G1 Seeker mold is so ridiculously primitive and ugly that it really needs good colours to make it even close to adequate, and it can't pull off the kitch silliness of purple and teal. But Classics Ramjet is an actual good toy, with normal proportions, articulation and everything -- wacky colours work a lot better there, at least for me.

Also Botcon G2 Ramjet has proper guns and doesn't have the silly soundbox ruining the look of his alt-mode, which helps.

Swindle makes sense, he was always rather vocal in the cartoon. Laserbeak, though? That's like, random.
I don't think he actually did anything, he just hung around silently watching. Probably Soundwave sent him.

Yep. The likes of Pyro and Rotorstorm and Falcon and Skyquake and Clench actually outrank practically everyone in G1, which is pretty ridiculous.
As a kid I liked it, because it gave me the chance to get an actual "leader" Decepticon when there were no Megatrons or Galvatrons in sight. I doubt I realized that everyone was a 7 or above on the rank scale, though.

Fab story, Warcry. The short glimpses at an extended backstory were my favorite bits.
Glad you liked it! :)

Heh, I didn't know about Botcon's G2 Ramjet, and it looks just as hilarious as the original one. Although the teal does look better with purple than the original sickly greenish-blue colour...
I think G2 Ramjet was originally the same colour as the Botcon version, but the teal shows yellowing and sun-damage very clearly.

Blackjack
2012-08-23, 08:18 AM
The G1 Seeker mold is so ridiculously primitive and ugly that it really needs good colours to make it even close to adequate, and it can't pull off the kitch silliness of purple and teal.

The Botcon version is much, much better due to the well-proportioned built in both forms, as well as using better paint... but, well, I say it again -- when I first saw G2 Ramjet he looked simply so ridiculous that I liked him.

Also Botcon G2 Ramjet has proper guns and doesn't have the silly soundbox ruining the look of his alt-mode, which helps.

Soundboxes are ugly, and ruin the whole point of being an aerodynamic jet, no?

I don't think he actually did anything, he just hung around silently watching. Probably Soundwave sent him.

IIRC that was his very last appearance, so Cyclonus probably stuffed him in a locker. Or something.

Yeah, yeah, Ratbat took over his job, but I liked Laserbeak. :(

Warcry
2012-08-23, 03:53 PM
Soundboxes are ugly, and ruin the whole point of being an aerodynamic jet, no?
The one on G2 Prime was cool. It gave his trailer a different, more streamlined and "modern" look that I'm quite fond of. But for the Seekers, I was never a fan. It always seemed to just get in the way.

Yeah, yeah, Ratbat took over his job, but I liked Laserbeak. :(
Eh...not really. It's been a while since I watched Season 3 but wasn't Ratbat barely even in it? He didn't get that much more screen time than Laserbeak himself (who was also in FFOD along with Webworld) and he definitely didn't have the huge presence that the tapes did in the first two seasons.

Blackjack
2012-08-24, 10:05 AM
The one on G2 Prime was cool. It gave his trailer a different, more streamlined and "modern" look that I'm quite fond of.

G2 Prime's voice box actually tried to blend in with Optimus' awesome black battle trailer, and looked quite good, but the one on the Seekers are just tacked onto the jet modes and they called it a day.

He didn't get that much more screen time than Laserbeak himself (who was also in FFOD along with Webworld) and he definitely didn't have the huge presence that the tapes did in the first two seasons.

True, but in my mind whenever Ratbat (who is a screeching little nutter instead of the Decepticon leader, which always bugged me) appeared I always thought it was a missed opportunity for Laserbeak to show up. Ratbat did appear for quite a bit, though. TFTM, TRoOP and Carnage in C-Minor, definitely. And Call of the Primitives, where Laserbeak and Buzzsaw were absent. I think there was one scene of Ratbat spying on a Skuxxoid while they were doing sabotagey stuff on Cybertron... Grimlock's New Brain, or Chaos.

Ratbat was around, just not as much as Laserbeak ever was, because Divebomb sometimes moonlight as the Decepticons' bird scout.