PDA

View Full Version : [Prime] S02E17 Out Of The Past

Skyquake87
2012-09-03, 08:56 AM
Another nice character study for Arcee, and some further good work done with Miko. Bulkhead's recovery was a bit more sudden than I expected, even though he's not 100%. The most notable feature of the epsidoe though was the prime debut of ..

Shockwave!

Whom, just like his G1 counterpart is left by himself to tinker on Cybertron. Also looks like he has no interesting Alt mode, and is liable to turn into a similar half assed pile of scrap as the DOTM version.

Also puzzled why sometimes the Transformers remain in robot mode when it would be more practical for them to convert to vehicular mode. Clearly the budget doesn't stretch to Cybertronian alt modes ... :)

Cliffjumper
2012-09-03, 01:22 PM
Aside from the unexpected near-total cop-out with Bulkhead (he's fine, it'll just take him a couple of episodes to walk...) that was pretty good. Interesting to see a bit more of Cliffjumper even if it seems we didn't actually learn much more about him (I think he's intentionally a bit flat, though) and there was Shockwave... liked the big DotM arm-gun and the general vagueness of where he sat in the hierarchy. I think him and Cybertron are going to feature in the season finale.

Nice to have a bit of spotlight back for Arcee too.

Another good competent actioner for the most part.

EDIT: Wow, that WASN'T the Rock? Good cover!

Knightdramon
2012-09-04, 10:38 AM
Hmmm, didn't like it as much as I thought. The entire episode felt a bit flat to me.

Shockwave was waaay too flat and generic in my opinion, even when voiced by one of the greatest TF VA [David Sobolov, aka Depth Charge]. It's also ironic how Cliffjumper managed to off several Vehicons and went toe to toe with Shockwave for a while, yet a bunch of vehicons made short work of him in the premiere.

Unless I missed anything, doesn't this imply that Shockwave is trapped in a space bridge? He didn't follow them to earth and the end of cybertron's bridge was malfunctioning. Neat touch that the technology that saved Prime [and by extension, Megatron] in season 1 was his work.

Cliffjumper
2012-09-04, 12:46 PM
Yeh, Shockwave's going to be dropping out of stray spacebridge and onto Earth in five episodes max [/citation needed]

With Cliffjumper in the first episode I think it was the stray hit on the energon crystals that really did him in. I think the series so far has been pretty consistent in showing that he's not really all that and has a bit more bravado than sense or strength. I kind-of like it in a way - it's nice to have a dead character the regulars care about who wasn't super-awesome.

Thunderwave
2012-09-07, 04:00 AM
I think the series so far has been pretty consistent in showing that he's not really all that and has a bit more bravado than sense or strength.

You know, kinda like the G1 Cliffjumper? Big talk, big guns, gets his ass handed to him by a cassette.

Overall I liked this episode.

Shockwave was rather interesting looking. A mix of G1, DotM, and WfC. I'm assuming by his kibble his alt mode is probably rather like his WfC one.

Nice to see Cliffjumper again and actually doing stuff.

Bulkhead I actually like. Only being able to walk a few steps at a time, as of now, is pretty neat. He's basically suffered major nervous system trauma and, like a human, need lots of time to recover. Also remember walking is not the same as fighting. Depending on how long the season goes in terms of time in the show's setting, he might not fight at all for the rest of it. I'm curious where they'll take the big, simple thugish guy who all of a sudden can't fill that role anymore.

Cliffjumper
2012-09-07, 11:15 AM
You know, kinda like the G1 Cliffjumper? Big talk, big guns, gets his ass handed to him by a cassette.

I'd say he's certainly far less able in fights that any of the regular Autobots we've seen thus far, yes (even Ratchet's been shown to have some tricks literally up his sleeve).

With Bulk it'd be cool if they did do a sort-of Kamille Bidan thing with him but I just can't see it myself. But then the series has surprised me before; it just felt very clumsy jumping from coma/episode end episode start/alive and conscious... A couple of episodes even barely mentioning Bulkhead either way in between would have helped.

I did like the way they avoided Star Wars prequelling Arcee & Cliffjumper's partnership by leaving it very vague just how long elapsed between them going to Earth and "Darkness Rising".