PDA

View Full Version : 28 years ago today, G1 aired for the first time

Notabot
2012-09-17, 10:25 PM
My wife saw someone mention it on Facebook, and Wikipedia agrees, so it absolutely must be true! September 17, 1984 was the first airing of the More Than Meets the Eye miniseries. Great show!

I remember as a kid rushing home to make sure I didn't miss anything, even though Transformers didn't start for a good half hour after school got out. Looking back now, the show was pretty awful, but great colorful fun for little kids, and clearly made an impression on me since I'm still collecting 28 years later.

So thank you Hasbro, and Cartoon Makers, and whichever network first aired it.

Addl
2012-09-18, 12:57 AM
At that time I did not even know what tfs were, as uncommon in Germany. I saw them while living in the US in 1987-1989

Made an impression on me as a kid as well which lasts to today.

Sades
2012-09-18, 06:10 AM
I knew Transformers as a kid, played with them but didn't give them much thought beyond being a kid until Beast Wars. Then, my brothers started collecting... I became interested because we watched Transformers as kids... we bought toys, they were cool... we found an old copy of TF:TM on VHS in a video store, started watching that, dug up old VHS recordings of Transformers/started taping BW and subsequently BM, got the internet and here I be.

Skyquake87
2012-09-18, 07:46 AM
Heh. I remember the excitement around Transformers airing in the UK. It was shown in two parts across TV-am's Wide Awake Club (and later Wacaday in the school holidays - although I do recall GoBots getting more of a look in on Wacaday - a whole epsiode split into five minute chunks across a week). Beacuse of the rather 'bitty' release of the cartoon, it was always the comic that made the bigger impact in the UK, being more freely available.

reading Dalek's excellent blog on the comic has reminded me that in its early days, it's outlook was as juvenile as the current Titan comic...

Cliffjumper
2012-09-18, 03:28 PM
I do remember the cartoon was very much a treat over here. You got the comics and loved them but the cartoon had a mystique because it was so difficult to actually get to see.

inflatable dalek
2012-09-21, 11:26 AM
And yesterday was the 28th anniversary of the British comic.

Is there a firm publication date for the US comic (which would have been the first released bit of media) or do we just have the general month? Without an exact date using the cartoon as the "Official" anniversary makes sense.

As I think I've said before, my main memory of the broadcast of the show in this country was never knowing if it was going to be Transformers or Gobloodybots.

Though I do have a very strong memory of Swoop in the tube system on Cybertron going "If me have stomach me leave it behind too" [Or whatever the exact quote is] from off the telly.

moonbaseone
2012-09-26, 07:56 PM
I actually remember watching the first episode of Transformers back in the day. Channel 9/WGN here in Chicago. Good times.

inflatable dalek
2012-11-10, 04:26 PM
And this weekend is the 25th anniversary of the cartoon ending (and indeed, all of season 4), with tomorrow, the 11th, being the day The Rebirth Part 3 went out. I'm celebrating in an Aimless way.

Tetsuro
2012-11-12, 02:56 AM
It would've been difficult for me to catch the series had it even been broadcast in Finland - I was far too busy being born. :swirly:

Summerhayes
2012-11-12, 04:17 PM
This thread makes me feel like such a child . . .

Notabot
2012-11-12, 05:27 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/Notabot/kitteh-640x480.jpg

This thread makes me feel like a kitten!

Rack 'n Ruin
2012-11-12, 10:10 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/Notabot/kitteh-640x480.jpg

This thread makes me feel like a kitten!

You're playing with your balls? :eyebrow:

Notabot
2012-11-13, 01:50 AM
Singular. Live strong, baby!

Rack 'n Ruin
2012-11-13, 09:14 AM
Singular. Live strong, baby!

Uh oh, I hope this isn't an indicator of posting enhancing drug use. Those seven consecutive Notabot de France titles could be taken away by the admins, you know. ;)

inflatable dalek
2012-11-13, 09:17 AM
When it's the size of your head you only need one.

Summerhayes
2012-11-13, 12:27 PM
I don't want to know what the single, thin thread represents . . .