PDA

View Full Version : [Prime] S02E19 The Human Factor

Blackjack
2012-09-19, 01:55 PM
Eh, it's the Silas/Breakdown combination that's been hinted at for a couple episodes and put on the backburner...

Can I just say I absolutely love how Silas-Breakdown keeps blinking, because his actions are all controlled by the human Silas? Nice attention to detail there.

Jaynz
2012-09-19, 04:18 PM
Eh, it's the Silas/Breakdown combination that's been hinted at for a couple episodes and put on the backburner...

Can I just say I absolutely love how Silas-Breakdown keeps blinking, because his actions are all controlled by the human Silas? Nice attention to detail there.

Surprisingly dark for an episode of Prime, and very well done. It's also very interesting that it was Bob Skir (of all people) who wrote it - very different take from his professed views back in Beast Machines, nae?

Yes, the episode is a bit of a 'wrap these threads up' one, where you get some effective 'final fates' dealt with with a couple of plot-lines, but I suppose we're hitting the end of the season and it looks like season 3 is going to be a pretty strong departure...

Blackjack
2012-09-19, 05:10 PM
Mmm, I like how Knock Out is very angry and practically begging Megatron to let him gut Silas, but he's professional enough to allow Silas to prove his worth... and in the end, when Silas is begging 'no, no, no...' was pretty disturbing as well.

Of course, with Silas completely murdering his MECH goons... that was rather unexpected, considering the low human bodycount in cartoons, but appreciated. And those soldiers on the military base totally died, yes?

There were some pacing problems, but the episode was quite nice. Smokescreen isn't as annoying as last episode and is starting to get likable although I think he's intentionally a bit bland. Bulkhead's also pretty believable.

Not at all convinced that Fowler couldn't simply round up a government hacker instead of having to teleport to Raf. I'm a bit annoyed how they all act like Raf is the only hacker around. Of course he's the only one who knows how to hack human computers quick enough, but really I'm unconvinced Fowler or someone else in his employ (some of the military knew about the Autobots, so surely it can't be a matter of secrecy) can't do the hacking job. I mean, replacing pictures of Bumblebee with dancing monkeys can be handed to a kid. Taking control of a death-spitting satellite...

Smokescreen-Bulkhead's mutual respect, Bulkhead's recovery, Silas and Breakdown... they all feel a bit rushed, but it's a suitable conclusion. Since the alternative would be Bulkhead being in an emo funk for ten episodes like it's goddamn Galaxy Force or something, it being resolved in a believable manner now is preferable.

Jaynz
2012-09-19, 05:39 PM
Mmm, I like how Knock Out is very angry and practically begging Megatron to let him gut Silas, but he's professional enough to allow Silas to prove his worth... and in the end, when Silas is begging 'no, no, no...' was pretty disturbing as well.

Yeah, I think we've seen the end of Silas there, and since we have a fully-intact Breakdown body in Knock Out's care... could be some future plot-point to play with there. That probably depends on if Hasbro ever releases the toy, of course, which seems unlikely at best.

Of course, with Silas completely murdering his MECH goons... that was rather unexpected, considering the low human bodycount in cartoons, but appreciated. And those soldiers on the military base totally died, yes?

That was supposed to be implied. Silas's "LOOK" as he identified himself is supposed to hint that he just up, transformed, and started trashing the hell out of the place. When next we see the base, it's in ruins.

Not at all convinced that Fowler couldn't simply round up a government hacker instead of having to teleport to Raf. I'm a bit annoyed how they all act like Raf is the only hacker around.

It's a matter of the time involved, the idea that Raf is versed on Cybertronian hybrid tech, and an unfortunate side-effect of 'executive meddling'. The KIDS have to be useful to the stories, beause the kid characters are mandated, but it's clear that Fowler would realistically have a full team of agents and experts aiding the Autobots by this point. You know... a bunch of "Regular JOES"...

Knightdramon
2012-09-19, 05:53 PM
Yeah, Silas totally murdered everybody.

Though I'm kind of left puzzled at his whole notion in this episode. Why not put himself through more tests to make a whole army of transforming human hybrids? Why instead of being a de-facto leader of a new generation, does he chose to be Megatron's underdog? He's also played down in combat skills, last time he gave Prime a run for his money, but this time he got offed by a crippled Bulkhead and Smokescreen. Could be a side-effect; last time he was monitoring a state of the art puppet, this time his messy remains are confined into a badly patched up, messy remain itself.

Loved Knockout. I'm wondering if this is indeed the end of Cylas, or if he's going to become a generic brute force for the Decepticons.

Jaynz
2012-09-19, 06:11 PM
Though I'm kind of left puzzled at his whole notion in this episode. Why not put himself through more tests to make a whole army of transforming human hybrids? Why instead of being a de-facto leader of a new generation, does he chose to be Megatron's underdog?

I think Megs recognized Silas's ambition... Silas didn't want to be a 'regular Decepticon', but wanted a seat at the table... to be regarded as one of the Decepticon upper ranks. Ironically, he was turning his back on the one thing he had that would have aided Megatron... his cybernetic technology.

And, ironically, that proved to be what Megatron was most curious about...

He's also played down in combat skills, last time he gave Prime a run for his money,

Going from Nemesis Prime to Breakdown would be a bit of a downgrade, wouldn't it?

Loved Knockout. I'm wondering if this is indeed the end of Cylas, or if he's going to become a generic brute force for the Decepticons.

Given that the season is in the short, and that next season appears to be a premise change... yeah, I think this was meant to be the end of MECH and Silas.

Blackjack
2012-09-19, 07:03 PM
I like how Megatron and Knock Out simply play along with Silas' plan. It's obvious Megatron didn't like Silas at all, calling him an 'abomination' straight off the bat, and Knock Out barely held himself from dissecting the guy who murdered his friend... but they are professional enough to hold their own opinions in check until they can try and utilize the Damocles satellite.

If this were G1 or Armada or something they would've gotten into a brawl with Silas from the moment Knock Out met him.

Why not put himself through more tests to make a whole army of transforming human hybrids? Why instead of being a de-facto leader of a new generation, does he chose to be Megatron's underdog?

He can't make an army of transformers, Nemesis Prime took a lot of time and resources, whereas he's only got Breakdown's body because that's all MECH has to work with. Otherwise they would probably make another mint Nemesis Prime, yes? The whole point is that Breakdown has a nervous system that could be integrated to Silas, whereas Nemesis Prime, as a non-Transformer, presumably doesn't.

As for the underdog, well... it's simply allying himself with the guys with the biggest guns in the field, since now he's realized MECH's formerly greatest weapons -- Nemesis Prime et al -- are not as advanced as they were cracked out to be.

He's also played down in combat skills, last time he gave Prime a run for his money, but this time he got offed by a crippled Bulkhead and Smokescreen.

Presumably he had practice with Nemesis Prime, but with Breakdwn this was, what, a couple hours since he mind-melded with the thing? Plus Silas was actually inside the patched-up body of Breakdown (which doesn't look quite so good) and was shaken about as he battled Bulkhead instead of calmly controlling Nemesis Prime from another facility.

Although he did have the advantage against Bulkhead until the fresh Smokescreen came around.

if he's going to become a generic brute force for the Decepticons.

I like both Silas and Breakdown, so I hope this would lead to a Marvel Megatron/Ratchet style Frankenstein hybrid... but that's just me.