PDA

View Full Version : Transformers 4 News and Rumours

Neuronutter
2012-09-24, 11:39 AM
An interview with Michael Bay by the Huffington Post has confirmed that the director will be back for TF4 and that the reboot, well, isn't.

Also, Peter Cullen will be back.

I thought I was done. Then the ride came out [at Universal Studios Hollywood] and the two-and-a-half-hour lines. And then you're thinking, Oh my God, someone's going to take this over. And you start doing a lot of soul-searching. Like, OK, I'm about to do a little movie, "Pain & Gain" ... and the studio says they want to restart the franchise. And someone could come in here and screw it up, you know? So I'm thinking that if I do this last one, we set it on a new footing, we change a lot of things -- but we keep the history of the three in place. But we broaden it so it can be set up and be carried on -- it would have a better chance for survival, I guess. You know?
So it was just one of those things. It's like, when you look what's going on in the film business with the franchise frenzy right now, why is Cameron doing two more "Avatar" movies? Why is Peter Jackson doing three more "Hobbit" movies that are in the same world as "Lord of the Rings"? When you have a franchise, it's very hard to give it up.

Furthermore this is the last one. Probably.

Well, no, you've got to do different things in life. But it doesn't matter. This is probably the last one.

As for the reboot:

No. We're basically taking from the history of where it was -- or where we left it in Chicago. And we're going to carry it on from there.

Is anyone even slighty surprised? Personally, I was looking forward to someone else giving this a bash.

Here's the interview http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/21/michael-bay-transformers-4-pain-and-gain_n_1903523.html and credit to TFormers.

Blackjack
2012-09-24, 11:57 AM
Yay to there being no reboots!

As it is, though, hopefully if this didn't suffer from a lack of script like ROTF did, it would be an entertaining film. I don't really expect it to make more than DOTM... but, eh, we'll see.

Paul053
2012-09-24, 03:15 PM
I want a reboot because I don't want to see Sam, Carly, Simmons anymore. They are at their dead end.

But I also like the chance of carrying over so that might give Hasbro another chance to negotiate the license for Ferrari Dino.........

praetorian
2012-09-24, 04:17 PM
Glenn Morshower will be back as well.

And there will likely be a fifth movie.

http://www.examiner.com/article/glenn-morshower-talkes-transformers-4-and-5-at-con-x-kc

inflatable dalek
2012-09-28, 11:59 AM
And for those wanting to continue following the Michael Bay Vs. The Universe thread, those posts are now here:

http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=51257

Cliffjumper
2012-09-28, 12:02 PM
AVENGERS IS SHITE AND WHEDON IS OVERRATED

inflatable dalek
2012-09-28, 12:12 PM
I'm glad Morshower is back.

Red Dave Prime
2012-09-28, 12:58 PM
http://www.secretarcticbase.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Joss-Whedon-is-our-leader-now.jpg

For Cliffy :)

praetorian
2012-09-28, 02:16 PM
And for those wanting to continue following the Michael Bay Vs. The Universe thread, those posts are now here:

http://tfarchive.com/community/showthread.php?t=51257

Spoiler alert:
The Universe actually loses, because Michael Bay blows it up.

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-09-28, 05:19 PM
Anyone got that Darth Vader "NOOOO!" meme? Because that sums up my feelings for this.

Summerhayes
2012-10-04, 12:34 PM
I'm confused; wasn't Bay confirmed when the film was first announced? Was his involvement ever in doubt?

Red Dave Prime
2012-10-04, 12:37 PM
Think he had said that the third would be his last. A fourth was always going to happen, with or without him (much like Batman 4 would already have been green light regardless of whether Nolan wanted to get off at The Dark Knight Rises)

But he is sticking on for another go! Yay..... Woot..... etc.....

Summerhayes
2012-10-04, 03:25 PM
Oh, I know he said he wouldn't a while back, but I thought he'd agreed to do it the same time the date was announced.

Neuronutter
2012-10-10, 02:02 PM
Michael Bay has continued to stoke the fires by saying on Entertainment Tonight that:

"What I can say is that it's going to pick up where the other three left off," said Bay of the film, which will predominantly feature new actors from its predecessors. "It's going to feel very different. It's going to definitely open the franchise up for many more to come, and it's going to have a freshness to it."

So, same director, some of the same actors, continuation of characters and story line yet somehow it will be fresh. We'll see.

Here's the ET article:
http://www.etonline.com/movies/125682_Michael_Bay_on_Pain_and_Gain_Transformers_4_and_Crash_the_Super_Bowl/index.html

Credit to TFormers for the find.

Oh, I know he said he wouldn't a while back, but I thought he'd agreed to do it the same time the date was announced.

My impression was that he said he wasn't doing it after the third then changed his mind when the fourth was officially announced (something along those lines anyway.) Posturing for more money, perhaps?

Cliffjumper
2012-10-17, 06:47 AM
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/173233-transformers-4-to-feature-a-female-lead

Hopefully she'll be a Strong Female Character (i.e. dressed in leather fetish suit but kicks someone every now and then).

EDIT: It would be kinda cool (if obviously not actually going to happen) if, after catching up with Sam in 3, we got to see Mikaela's side of things.

inflatable dalek
2012-10-17, 06:57 AM
What was the one from the Energon trilogy called? Alexis? It should be her.

EDIT: Or Jessie from the Marvel comics. Just as long as she shares the name of a preexsisting character.

Though joking aside, I could seriously see them introducing alongside the new girl Sam's long lost brother/cousin/son Buster.

Red Dave Prime
2012-10-17, 05:27 PM
Hopefully she'll be a Strong Female Character (i.e. dressed in leather fetish suit but kicks someone every now and then).

I see what you did there ;)

numbat
2012-10-18, 08:29 AM
Also, apparently, the fourth film may well be his last. You know, like the the second and third ones might have been...

Cliffjumper
2012-10-18, 09:59 AM
Though joking aside, I could seriously see them introducing alongside the new girl Sam's long lost brother/cousin/son Buster.

I dunno, the films are kinda breaking new ground by giving the majority of human characters names that aren't ridiculously stupid.

"Hi, I'm Hunter O'Nion - like the vegetable but with a random apostrophy because that way it's a totally convincing surname like all those crazy Irish ones. You see that cloud in the distance? That's your willing suspension of disbelief."

Red Dave Prime
2012-10-18, 11:57 AM
That's your willing suspension of disbelief

Giant, transforming alien robots...?

But yeah, you're right about that name. Its flipping terrible. Has to be made up.

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/O'Nions

Cliffjumper
2012-10-18, 02:59 PM
Oh, it's real? Wow, must be an absolutely perfect choice for the name of a fictional quasi-everyman character. Hitler's surname is real, it doesn't mean you slap it on a fictional character (in most circumstances, obviously, cf. Bottom) because it'll jerk the reader out of the universe. Same goes for Itchyanus or myriad other less incendiary examples. It's Cybertron Metroplex shit all over again. Because I'm guessing you know or know of hundreds of people with the name and didn't just Google that to check, right?

If you can't suspend your disbelief while reading/watching Transformers enough to accept "giant, transforming alien robots" as part of the universe you're indulging in then I feel quite sorry for you and would probably advise that it'll be the better for you if you find something else - Doctors or Jeremy Kyle or something. If you follow that line of logic through to its' natural end why bother with anything because, y'know, giant, transforming alien robots don't exist so what's the point in even writing comics, films and episodes about them?

It's needless to jerk readers out of said universe by throwing obvious spanners like O'Nion, Brasnya, Carbombya, MTMTE RED ALERT etc. in their faces.

inflatable dalek
2012-10-18, 03:33 PM
I dunno, the films are kinda breaking new ground by giving the majority of human characters names that aren't ridiculously stupid.

I don't know, it's an easy sop to the fans who care about that sort of thing and doesn't have any impact whatsoever on anything else. Carly being the name of the female lead in the last one probably made some people very happy and she'd have been the same bloody awful character no matter what name they used so it's not as if it made much impact.

Buster's not that odd a name is it? Am I not cool and down with the kids anymore?

"Hi, I'm Hunter O'Nion - like the vegetable but with a random apostrophy because that way it's a totally convincing surname like all those crazy Irish ones. You see that cloud in the distance? That's your willing suspension of disbelief."

I think the problem with Hunter was, in theory him having a slightly odd surname that likely led to him being bullied for years at school and was the beginning of him being something of an outsider is fine and dandy. Where it falls apart is its in a comic where the other recurring male is called Jimmy Pink. If everyone has silly names it just doesn't work.

Plus I think it was Spengs who pointed out the way he introduced himself was really stupid, saying his name and then explaining how to pronounce it. So he either said it wrong the first time, or knows he's being presented in a printed medium without sound. There'd certainly be less clumsy ways to have done that (I'm Hunter O'Nion" "Ohnnyon*? That's unusual, how'd you spell that" *Character name rant*. I said less clumsy, not Shakespeare).

You've lost me on the Cybertron Metroplex and MTMTE RED ALERT things.

*Or whatever the official pronunciation was.

Red Dave Prime
2012-10-18, 03:40 PM
Oh, it's real? Wow, must be an absolutely perfect choice for the name of a fictional quasi-everyman character. Hitler's surname is real, it doesn't mean you slap it on a fictional character (in most circumstances, obviously, cf. Bottom) because it'll jerk the reader out of the universe. Same goes for Itchyanus or myriad other less incendiary examples. It's Cybertron Metroplex shit all over again. Because I'm guessing you know or know of hundreds of people with the name and didn't just Google that to check, right?

If you can't suspend your disbelief while reading/watching Transformers enough to accept "giant, transforming alien robots" as part of the universe you're indulging in then I feel quite sorry for you and would probably advise that it'll be the better for you if you find something else - Doctors or Jeremy Kyle or something. If you follow that line of logic through to its' natural end why bother with anything because, y'know, giant, transforming alien robots don't exist so what's the point in even writing comics, films and episodes about them?

It's needless to jerk readers out of said universe by throwing obvious spanners like O'Nion, Brasnya, Carbombya, MTMTE RED ALERT etc. in their faces.

Oh Calm down. I just thought I would make a funny joke at your expense. Dont get those knickers in a twist. Of course I can accept the concept of transformers just as I can overlook a bad name gag for a character. Hunter O'nion IS a stupid name and was probably picked just for a gag but it doesn't "jerk" (seriously?) a reader out of a plot. Its a minor irritant.

And whats wrong with Red Alert as a name? Or am I missing something there?

Anyway back to the movies and I guess Hugo wont be back as Megatron / Galvatron
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hugo-weaving-transformers-michael-bay-379339

Cant say anyone would be suprised to hear that he phoned it in.

And good old Shia looks unlikely to appear even as a cameo. He seems to indicate that the studio had as much input into Transformers as Disney into Avengers (I'm reading between the lines on this one)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/shia-labeouf-abandoning-big-budget-movies-361943

Cant say i'm saddened by his departure from the studio system.
I'm not going to disagree with him over both Indy 4 and TF 3 being crap (his words, not mine) but I think its a bit shit to take the big pay cheque from a studio and then shit on it during promotion.

Cliffjumper
2012-10-18, 03:50 PM
MTMTE RED ALERT and, IIRC, some random numbers were in a couple of Dreamwave comics as 'tech garbage' on read-outs and character POV shots - as, IIRC, was the Japanese TF logo and Jazz having a 'J NAME' of 'Meister' - needless little easter eggs that drag you out of the fiction by saying "Hey, look, TF media with in-jokes!" because there's no way any of that stuff has a reasonable in-fiction explanation. Obviously it's not a direct parallel to the O'Nion thing, more an example of something the writer/artist thought was funny and/or cool that just doesn't work well.

Cybertron Metroplex turned into a complete abomination which was modelled on a real mining rig; that state of affairs was constantly wheeled out by Hasbro apologists to justify it being a lousy-looking piece of shit. Comes back to the same "just because it's based on something real doesn't mean it's beyond reproach" thing.

I don't think that smattering of 'characterisation' really justifies O'Nion having a silly name myself; there are plenty of other ways to show that sort of thing and I don't think his surname being Jones, McDonald, Harris or, well, just about anything else would have affected the story. If anything it's lazy shorthand from the writer in my book as bad as calling someone John Everyman or Lance Uppercut. Have him bullied for being a cybernerd or whatever instead.

With Carly in DotM I think it was a case of there being a new female and there's an extant female character with a decent name so, yeh, why not? If the girls had all had bizarre and/or outdated names to the equivalent of Spike and Rad she probably wouldn't have been named after an extant character. But the girls do seem to have got off more lightly, so yeh, I can see the new girl being called something like Alexis or Marissa

Red Dave Prime
2012-10-18, 03:56 PM
MTMTE RED ALERT and, IIRC, some random numbers were in a couple of Dreamwave comics as 'tech garbage' on read-outs and character POV shots - as, IIRC, was the Japanese TF logo and Jazz having a 'J NAME' of 'Meister' - needless little easter eggs that drag you out of the fiction by saying "Hey, look, TF media with in-jokes!" because there's no way any of that stuff has a reasonable in-fiction explanation. Obviously it's not a direct parallel to the O'Nion thing, more an example of something the writer/artist thought was funny and/or cool that just doesn't work well.

Isnt the point of an easter egg in a comic that its a hidden nod to the fans that notice it? I'm not going to argue that they all work (Heart of Darkness Galvatron swirl being particularly awful) but in most cases you either notice it as a quick gag for those in the know or it passes you by completely (for example I had no idea Jhiaxus was a play on Gee-Axe-us aimed at his bosses by Simon)

Anyway, if thats what takes you out a plot I think you may need to take things a little less seriously.

Seriously.

Cliffjumper
2012-10-18, 04:18 PM
Oh Calm down. I just thought I would make a funny joke at your expense. Dont get those knickers in a twist.

No biggie, not sure what isn't calm about a rebuttal.

Hunter O'nion IS a stupid name and was probably picked just for a gag but it doesn't "jerk" (seriously?) a reader out of a plot. Its a minor irritant.YMMV. TBH, a gag name for a gag character I can deal with - can't think of a good example within TFs off the top of my head though I'm sure there's one or two. But if it's someone we're meant to be accepting as an ongoing lead in a comic with the grown-up pretentions that Furman's IDW work had I think it's a serious misstep (as was Brasnya; were they worried that Chechnya would boycott?). It basically meant that I wasn't taking the character seriously from that point on.

As Dalek says the other two having slightly unusual names doesn't really help matters especially as the comic is trying to present them as three random ordinairy-ish people rather than, say, mobsters in a Tarantino film.

Furman does kinda have form for this with Amos Hume from the UK Armada comic, a character it's impossible to take seriously if you read the old comic's letters pages. And Irwin & Sterling Spoon. Coming up with natural-sounding names just obviously isn't one of his strongpoints.

He wasn't the only one, what with General Hallo and all... Bob seemed to have more of a knack for it, or at least for matching names to characters - Josie Beller gets a normal name because she's intended to be an ongoing dramatic character (stop laughing!), Joey Slick notsomuch because he's a one-off joke.

EDIT: Actually, Joey Slick's a good example of a working gag name - he's a silly broken-down mobster in a silly story who's then never mentioned again. It was a pretty lousy story, though.

And good old Shia looks unlikely to appear even as a cameo. He seems to indicate that the studio had as much input into Transformers as Disney into Avengers (I'm reading between the lines on this one)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/shia-labeouf-abandoning-big-budget-movies-361943

Cant say i'm saddened by his departure from the studio system.
I'm not going to disagree with him over both Indy 4 and TF 3 being crap (his words, not mine) but I think its a bit shit to take the big pay cheque from a studio and then shit on it during promotion.Never really expected him to be back in any capacity for 4 and am still mildly surprised he never found any way to extricate himself from the one or both of the sequels... Regardless of his opinions I think it's quite good to be outspoken about that sort of thing; he just wants to be a bit careful or he'll struggle to find really well-paid work again.

I'm guessing his rough plan is to do the Depp thing of taking a blockbuster role with big money every couple of years so he can afford to appear in art/indy scripts for scale and/or direct and the like but Depp plays the game and doesn't slag off the studios and/or audiences while doing it.

It does seem a tad... ungrateful, though, doesn't it? Without four big franchise films making him such a household name he'd probably have fewer offers on the tables and less money. It's the sort of thing it's quite easy to bitch about after he's done it but it's not like anyone had a gun to his head in 2006 or whenever he signed the contracts...

Cliffjumper
2012-10-18, 04:23 PM
Isnt the point of an easter egg in a comic that its a hidden nod to the fans that notice it? I'm not going to argue that they all work (Heart of Darkness Galvatron swirl being particularly awful) but in most cases you either notice it as a quick gag for those in the know or it passes you by completely (for example I had no idea Jhiaxus was a play on Gee-Axe-us aimed at his bosses by Simon)

Anyway, if thats what takes you out a plot I think you may need to take things a little less seriously.

Seriously.

Thing is it's not hidden - I read all the text in comic frames, that simple. Not entirely sure if there's a better way of doing it - imagine the details you'd miss in, say, Watchmen if you didn't. Something like Transformers offers ample scope for fun easter eggs - the Trainbots in a crowd scene and statues of Japanese G1 leaders both being good ones from Dreamwave because none of those characters are anything to do with anything else in the continuity and you need extras for crowd scenes and subjects for statues. But text? That involves the name of a character who's, like, in the comics at the time? When genuinely random text would do the job just as well? It comes back to the same thing as O'Nion - there's no need for the distraction, so why do it?

Easter eggs are all well and good if they don't disrupt the story. That one did.

Red Dave Prime
2012-10-18, 04:24 PM
It does seem a tad... ungrateful, though, doesn't it

I think so. After 2-3 years to turn around and say "yeah, that wasnt my best work. In fact I'm quite embarassed about it all" I wouldnt mind. But knocking something when its just come out? Thats a bit shit by any standards. I'm sure he didnt send back any of his pay cheque for TF3 (which I'm guessing was pretty decent) and he didnt walk of set and refuse to do the job either. Seems a shit thing to do in my opinion.

If you're not happy with the project - walk and leave the money behind.

Red Dave Prime
2012-10-18, 04:32 PM
Thing is it's not hidden - I read all the text in comic frames, that simple. Not entirely sure if there's a better way of doing it - imagine the details you'd miss in, say, Watchmen if you didn't. Something like Transformers offers ample scope for fun easter eggs - the Trainbots in a crowd scene and statues of Japanese G1 leaders both being good ones from Dreamwave because none of those characters are anything to do with anything else in the continuity and you need extras for crowd scenes and subjects for statues. But text? That involves the name of a character who's, like, in the comics at the time? When genuinely random text would do the job just as well? It comes back to the same thing as O'Nion - there's no need for the distraction, so why do it?

Easter eggs are all well and good if they don't disrupt the story. That one did.

I dont think the detail level in watchmen (which is centered on the watchman world) is the same as an easter egg in a long running comic though. (And while you would miss a lot in watchman if you didnt read everything I think you'd still be able to follow the plot.)

The other stuff in the TF comics is just incidental detail - it has no bearing on the plot at all. Watchmen is different in that its part of the world they are looking to establish. In the Transformers comics, it seems its is simply a nod to the more knowing reader. As far as I know there are loads of little references back to the Marvel series in Last Stand of the Wreckers. They're a nice little homage and nothing more.

I'm guessing the writer/ artist feels its a cure thing to do. The other option is really just to have random numbers as its not something thats affecting the plot either way. I'd rather have the little easter eggs.

Of course if your arguing that the writer and artist should be more creative and fill it with stuff that builds the actual world their story is set in, then I kinda see your point, but it still would never take me out of the story in anyway.

Cliffjumper
2012-10-18, 04:56 PM
If you're not happy with the project - walk and leave the money behind.

That's the thing, though, isn't it? At the end of the day one way or another Megan Fox got out of TF3 so it wasn't impossible for Shia - it might have hurt his wallet or his rep with the studios but you've got to ask yourself what's more important.

I dont think the detail level in watchmen (which is centered on the watchman world) is the same as an easter egg in a long running comic though. (And while you would miss a lot in watchman if you didnt read everything I think you'd still be able to follow the plot.)

Of course if your arguing that the writer and artist should be more creative and fill it with stuff that builds the actual world their story is set in, then I kinda see your point, but it still would never take me out of the story in anyway.

I do think it's something entirely possible; LSotW comes close to managing it. I think if you're going to put details in they should make sense. Squadron X are a great example of a good easter egg, for example - they could be random new characters without affecting the plot. However, making them very obscure extant characters adds "Squee!!" factor for those who recognise them (and a tiny tiny bit of depth as we 'know' Fang, Macabre etc. are dicks) but doesn't cause any confusion because most of them haven't been seen since 1986 in a totally different continuity.

Art references tend to work better because there's a lot more scope for making them non-intrusive. Seizan in a crowd is just a yellow generic to anyone who doesn't know who Seizan is. Putting the name of a current character on a read-out when there's no logical way it could actually have anything to do with him is a lot more intrusive, IMO. Same with the "J Name" thing - what can that mean on an Earth scanner? Nothing apart from "Hey, in the Japanese version of the toyline Jazz was called Meister"

Terome
2012-10-18, 10:59 PM
I just want to chime in here and say that the 'J-name: Meister' thing has bugged me for years. It's on the same level as fansite shout-outs scattered throughout the art.

I love that Hugo Weaving literally phoned in his Megatron voice and still did a pretty good job with it. Though I can almost hear Billy West's teeth grinding from here at the mention of his two hundred thousand dollar fee.

Cliffjumper
2012-10-19, 04:34 AM
I did think the Weaving thing was common knowledge since the first one. I'm not really going to miss him either way, though - he did a good job but nothing on the level of Cullen. And with any luck it'll secure a Megatron-less film - he's been killed twice now and spent most of the last two getting beaten up. ROTF and DOTM have proven that 'name' Decepticons are pretty irrelevant to most of the audience; we could well see Galvatron, for example, but I don't think it'll necessarily follow that he's Megatron rebuilt or even much more than a hardcore Decepticon who has a cool name stuck on him.

Spengs getting a mention up-thread reminds me of something he said about the Japanese logo being 'hidden' in a couple of DW frames - that as he read Japanese (fluently?) it was the same thing as the word 'Transformers' just being randomly written on the wall for no reason. Dreamwave really pushed that sort of thing a bit too far quite often what with the rubsigns, the too-frequent TF:TM paraphrasing and so on. It was possibly more distracting as there wasn't much else in the comics, though.

Viewed in retrospect War & Peace especially seems very much an attempt to 'do' a Last Stand of the Wreckers for the entire first half of the G1 line; there's barely a page that isn't a reference to something, be it a toy assortment, a cartoon episode or whatever. It might have worked if there had been a plot. As it is it's like you're reading the thing with Mad Brick sitting next to you jogging your elbow and going "Eh? Eh? Eh?". He probably is doing that to someone somewhere right now, actually.

Terome
2012-10-19, 02:53 PM
Viewed in retrospect War & Peace especially seems very much an attempt to 'do' a Last Stand of the Wreckers for the entire first half of the G1 line; there's barely a page that isn't a reference to something, be it a toy assortment, a cartoon episode or whatever. It might have worked if there had been a plot. As it is it's like you're reading the thing with Mad Brick sitting next to you jogging your elbow and going "Eh? Eh? Eh?". He probably is doing that to someone somewhere right now, actually.

From snippets here and there it seems that Last Stand Of The Wreckers would have been a lot more like that if they'd gone with the first draft. To be honest, some of the references in the finished version are a bit annoying.

inflatable dalek
2012-10-19, 03:06 PM
So the lesson there is don't stop at the first draft. If only someone had told Mick.

The worst such "Easter Egg" that hasn't been mentioned yet is an Earth powerplant being called Allspark in the DW Armada comic. makes no sense as a terran name and really stands out as odd.

As for Shia... He might well be genuine and spend the rest of his life making low budget indie (as opposed to Indy) films now he's made enough money to never need to work again. And he could well have done all three films out of a sense of obligation to fulfil his contract (and Bay himself has been fairly negative about the second film so he arguably set the standard for everyone else involved that it's OK to do that).

But... it is a fairly common thing for actors afraid of typecasting to lay into their most famous/iconic roles in order to distance themselves from them. And that Lawless he's just done looked like a fairly big film to me.

Then again, when I saw Everything Or Nothing last week the amount of bile from Sean Connery about Bond in interviews even before he left the role is fairly staggering, Shia's just an amateur compared to that.

With Megatron, I'd be amazed if he isn't in the film in some form considering its going to be a big anniversary film. If there's a short flashback to the war on Cybertron involving the character would Weaving really object that much to half an hours work at a good going rate of pay? And indeed, how many people would actually notice if they recast?

Terome
2012-10-19, 03:16 PM
So the lesson there is don't stop at the first draft. If only someone had told Mick.

According to himself, Isaac Asimov never wrote a second draft of anything. But then he had being Isaac Asimov going for him.

The worst such "Easter Egg" that hasn't been mentioned yet is an Earth powerplant being called Allspark in the DW Armada comic. makes no sense as a terran name and really stands out as odd.

Even E.J. Su wasn't above slipping stuff like 'Binaltech' on calenders and the like in Escalation. That's worth a stout whack with the broom, E.J.

Then again, when I saw Everything Or Nothing last week the amount of bile from Sean Connery about Bond in interviews even before he left the role is fairly staggering, Shia's just an amateur compared to that.

I'm probably never going to see it - what did he come out with?

And indeed, how many people would actually notice if they recast?

I've have thought he'd still be locked into a contract but it seems that everybody is back to square one on that front. I wonder how much the suits estimate Weaving's name to be worth, especially with The Hobbit looming...

Red Dave Prime
2012-10-19, 03:41 PM
I think Hugo would be an easy re-cast. Its not clear at all thats its him (which defeats the purpose of a big name as a voice) unlike Nimoy for example.

Plus I reckon its an easy enough job to copy his Megatron. There's nothing really distinct about it.

BTW, I'm really suprised so many of you get put out by the easter egg thing. Honestly, the only two times I can think where I thought "thats shite!" was the mentioned double page bit in Heart of Darkness with Megatron, Galvatron, Toy Galvatron, Leonard Nimoy all floating about, and there was a bit in War and Peace where the Dinobots ride off on Sixshot - made sillier when six shots shadow appears later on in the ongoing.

Skyquake87
2012-10-19, 04:54 PM
The problem with easter eggs is they're like 'ooh! its that, and that's him!!!' but on re-read they just stand out and make it feel like a slightly lazy stand up routine about Spangles or white dog sh*t that you don't see anymore. In stuff like 'War & Peace' that's stacked to the rafters with it, it becomes annoying. LSOTW gets away with it (just) because its rammed into various lines of dialogue and that book gallops along at such a pace it doesn't distract you so much. In lesser hands, it becomes like a tedious drinking game 'have a shot each time you see a Gobot being eviscerated' etc. Imagine how p*ssed you'd get playing that with Furmanisms...

I do like easter eggs that reference other stuff though - the Mystery Science Theater 3000 guys in Generation 2 or the Dalek Transformer in the old M:UK stuff. That seems a bit more fun than labouriously referring to the minutiae of the franchise.

inflatable dalek
2012-10-19, 06:45 PM
According to himself, Isaac Asimov never wrote a second draft of anything. But then he had being Isaac Asimov going for him.

And one of the great originators of professional fan wank with his "Hey, lets merge my two big series into one glorious whole!" thing.

I've never actually read any Asimov, I've always vaguely planned to (and when I was a child my mother had a hardback of one of his Robot novels that had what looked like giant Super Gobots smashing up a city, which I thought was awesome but probably didn't happen inside anymore than Will Smith turning up) but being a mad bastard completist when it comes to shared Universe stuff I've always been put off slightly by the poor reputation a lot of the "Do you like Robots? Do you like Foundation? You'll love Robotey-Foundation!" novels have.

Even E.J. Su wasn't above slipping stuff like 'Binaltech' on calenders and the like in Escalation. That's worth a stout whack with the broom, E.J.

Hmm, though generally he wasn't to bad ("Binaltech" was in a garage IIRC and sound suitable mechanically to be plausibly something you might find on a list or whatever in there). Was it him or Nick Roche who had Eugenesis on a shelf in one issue? I'd guess Nick but I'm not sure without checking...

I'm probably never going to see it - what did he come out with?

The big one was from the same interview that's on the Diamonds Are Forever DVD where he's very, very smug, fully admited he's only come back because of the deal he's made ("I know what it's like to not have money, I know exactly what money means to me") and because he thinks the "failure" of the previous film had proved the point the success of the series is down to him.

I wonder if his derogatory comments about "The one I wasn't it" was the beginning of the perception OHMSS was a box office bomb when it actually did OK, if not spectacularly in comparison to the previous two films (but then, lower budget equals more profit so swings and roundabouts).

There's also a clip from a chat show post Bond where he responds to the question "Who was the first Bond villain?" with "Cubby Broccoli".

I hadn't realised how completely and utterly off his head George Lazenby was during the making of his film, from his own description of his behaviour after fame (and it would seem, LSD) went to his head makes it somewhat amazing he got as far as being paid his first fee for Diamonds Are Forever before walking away by his own choice before being sacked.

On the plus side, Pierce Brosnan is awesome. Just a big gleeful schoolboy about the whole experience. I'd love to see the promo pics he took in 1987 in readiness for being cast in The Living Daylights.

If you've a general interest in Bond there's probably not much in the documentary you won't already know, but it is a good solid overview, very much from the Broccoli perspective, basically being about the various people who've they've been sued by over the years in an attempt to take the franchise over. McClory is the only person to come off worse than Connery does.

Oh God, I'm going to hav to split this three ways now aren't I?

I've have thought he'd still be locked into a contract but it seems that everybody is back to square one on that front. I wonder how much the suits estimate Weaving's name to be worth, especially with The Hobbit looming...

Yeah, studios don't want to make multi-film contracts go on for too long, because they might avoid the problem of stars wanting more money with every film they also prevent the suits renegotiating the salaries down if one sequel doesn't do well enough.

BTW, I'm really suprised so many of you get put out by the easter egg thing. Honestly, the only two times I can think where I thought "thats shite!" was the mentioned double page bit in Heart of Darkness with Megatron, Galvatron, Toy Galvatron, Leonard Nimoy all floating about, and there was a bit in War and Peace where the Dinobots ride off on Sixshot - made sillier when six shots shadow appears later on in the ongoing.

Oh, we're just pointing out some of the bad ones, there's lots of ones that do work well. With Easter Eggs in Transformers pre-dating the use of that name for them (the earliest I can think of is right at the start when some GI Joe toys appear in Marvel US 2 as the American army) it's inevitable they'll be as many that don't work as do.

I do like easter eggs that reference other stuff though - the Mystery Science Theater 3000 guys in Generation 2 or the Dalek Transformer in the old M:UK stuff. That seems a bit more fun than labouriously referring to the minutiae of the franchise.

Yeah, that's more fun and adds more layers.

Ohhhhhhhhh Simfur. Bloody Simfur. Even if that was Ryall's idea (and I'm not entirely sure of the extent of Furman's input on the co-written film comics) naming one of the major locations in the story after one of the credited writers was just pure self indulgent bobbins.

Cliffjumper
2012-10-19, 08:18 PM
The thing with easter eggs is they can be harmless if done well but Transformers of the past ten years (mainly DW, to be fair) tends to go over the line more than most other comics I've read. The DW stuff especially seemed to be intentionally trying to cram as many random references in per issue as possible and when you're doing that it ups the chance of it upstaging the plot. Some of the DW easter eggs are great - 'Bee and Brawn having their toy faces as battle masks, for example - but loads of them are really, really heavy handed and often cause plot problems (a great example is the need to have Shockwave's puppet council all being Year 2 Autobot cars - thus creating a continuity problem as Red Alert should have been with the Earth squad).

Cliffjumper
2012-10-24, 02:02 PM
Marky Mark Mark Wahlberg apparently isn't going to be in the film: -
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35588
I expect ongoing announcements from BIG MIKE detailing further actors who won't be in the film - my money's on Joseph Cotton to not be in it either.

Are we keeping tabs on "Bay's disinformation campaign LOL never fooled me" this time or are we not bothering after he trolled most of fandom with Shockwave last time round?

Rack 'n Ruin
2012-10-24, 02:40 PM
Marky Mark Mark Wahlberg apparently isn't going to be in the film

Any word yet on the rest of the Funky Bunch?

Cliffjumper
2012-10-24, 03:18 PM
Jordan Knight will be in it as the lovechild of Simmons and Charlotte Mearing.

Skyquake87
2012-10-24, 08:06 PM
Jordan Knight will be in it as the lovechild of Simmons and Charlotte Mearing.

Tut tut Mr Cliffy, don't you know your pop? Jordan Knight was in New Kids On The Block with Mark's brother Donnie. The funky bunch were Scott Ross (alias Scottie Gee), Hector Barros (alias Hector the Booty Inspector), Terry Yancey (alias DJ-T) and Anthony Thomas (alias Ashey Ace).

:)

Rack 'n Ruin
2012-10-24, 08:19 PM
Hector the Booty Inspector

Uh-oh. If Bay reads this the Funky Bunch are in, in, in.

FTJ, baby, FTJ!!!

inflatable dalek
2012-10-25, 09:35 AM
I am also not going to be in this film.

Red Dave Prime
2012-10-26, 02:03 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReQ7A6QFE_hxGrqN1CZzxLXQBkqd2DzkuXPty6-BeUiSnZLvhl

Very unlikely as well....

praetorian
2012-11-09, 02:31 PM
Mark Wahlberg confirmed:

http://michaelbay.com/

Also, shot of a new logo. And Murphy, DeSanto, di Bonaventura, Bryce, Speilberg, all back as well.

Opens June 27, 2014.

numbat
2012-11-09, 09:38 PM
Mark Wahlberg confirmed
Love the Bay misinformation nonsense with the story immediately prior to this one claiming Mark Wahlberg wasn't going to be involved, and that people were just taking 2+2 and making 7.

That's actually a bigger-punching star than I at all would have ever expected in a Transformers film myself. If he's actually acting as a character in an ensemble telling a story, that could be really good and could be quite different from how I can imagine a Transformers film (he's actually a really good actor - I'd just be worried that Bay's bought his name rather than his skills...). On the otherhand, if it's a name thing, or a vehicle thing, I could see it detracting.

inflatable dalek
2012-11-09, 10:19 PM
I'd guess he's too old to be the lead (they're almost certain to keep with the Saved By The Bell style teens). The new boy/girl's Dad?

Wait, does this mean all the other people confirmed as not being in it above actually are? Including me?

Summerhayes
2012-11-09, 10:56 PM
I actually enjoy Whalberg, and he'd certainly distract less than Jason Statham would have . . .

The Reverend
2012-12-06, 03:38 AM
I want a reboot because I don't want to see Sam, Carly, Simmons anymore. They are at their dead end.

I concur, but if you remove them, you know what you inevitably get?

... DANIEL.

Red Dave Prime
2012-12-06, 11:43 AM
DANIEL

In my head, I just heard Spike from the Animated Movie after the melting pool.

Cliffjumper
2012-12-06, 11:48 AM
In my head, I just heard Spike from the Animated Movie after the melting pool.

Me too - I think that's probably hardwired into most of our brains whenever we read the name...

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-01-23, 02:06 AM
I still don't know why the fans of AHM don't like Michael Bay.

I mean, the only thing separating Bay from McCarthy is that the former isn't a middlebrow hipster twat:p

starlord
2013-02-21, 06:25 AM
Maybe we will see other decepticons,to. The rest of Megs army return. Thundercracker and Sky warp aren't happy.

Springer85
2013-05-22, 11:55 AM
Some new rumours:

Apparantly Lockdown, Hound, Drift, Galvatron and the Dinobots are set to make an appearance in TF4. According to the following website anyway: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusive-scoops-on-some-classic-characters-appearing-in-transformers-4-the-villains-of-guardians-of-the-galaxy-and-more

I wouldn't mind the Dinobots in TF4, but I hope not all of them will be in it. Too many characters involved is not a good thing, although this is a Bay film so I guess it doesn't really matter. :D

Blackjack
2013-05-23, 01:07 PM
DRIFTTTT

Screw all those nobodies. DRIFT IS THE MAN

Terome
2013-05-23, 01:13 PM
I'd agree that Drift is a much better fit for the movies than any of those other guys. Except maybe Lockdown.

Blackjack
2013-05-23, 01:44 PM
Eh, Galvatron and the Dinobots have been rumoured since Transformers 2, I'd be surprised if they actually show up.

Hound, Lockdown and Drift are cars, and Michael Bay is a big fan of adding random cars to the cast, so why not? Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't show up. Would be cool if they did, but wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't either.

But Drift, y'all.

Springer85
2013-05-23, 01:49 PM
Having the Dinobots in there is probably done because they can draw a huge crowd. Some of my friends that used to watch Transformers as a kid (and haven't seen any show since then) still remember them.

Blackjack
2013-05-29, 07:54 AM
Comedian T.J. Miller, has joined the cast (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tj-miller-joins-transformers-4-559359). No idea who the chap personally is, though.

And, straight out from the word of the Bay... (or his website (http://michaelbay.com/news/))

Principal photography on Transformers 4 has begun. As guests of the Navajo Nation, we took a convoy of brand new, re-envisioned and remodeled Autobots out for a spin down Highway 163 in Monument Valley near the border of Arizona and Utah. Stay tuned…more to come!

So, yeah, they started shooting, and then they showed us a bunch of cars.

First up, Optimus Prime (http://michaelbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Optimus-Prime-980v2-640x354.jpg)

In the words of Michael Bay, 'The completely upgraded, custom-built Optimus Prime from Western Star (a subsidiary of Daimler Trucks North America).' So it seems our big hero has gotten a new alternate mode, if one that's not too different.

This new dude (http://michaelbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/veyron-640x251.jpg)

According to Bay again, 'A classy 1,200-horsepower Bugatti Grand Sport Vitesse worth more than $2.4 million.' I like Bugattis, and the colours on this particular one.

And this other new dude (http://michaelbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Corvette-Stingray-640x375.jpg)

And again, 'A special race-inspired C7 Corvette Stingray, based on Chevrolet’s upcoming 2014 production car!' Sideswipe has turned into Chevrolet Corvette Stingrays in both ROTF and DOTM, is the green Stingray here a new body/paintjob for Sideswipe? A green Sideswipe? Or is it a new Autobot?

Regardless, pretty cars and Bay movie news got Blackjack excited.

Skyquake87
2013-05-29, 08:56 AM
Uh, not really a fan of Optimus new alt mode. It looks like a fat metal slug. The Bugatti is also a bit of an ugly thing. It looks sporty, but what's with the sleek rear end giving way to that sheer drop at the front?

I do rather like the Corvette though. That is a nice car :)

Blackjack
2013-05-29, 09:17 AM
Not a big fan of New Optimus, although it has around a year to grow on me.

I do like the Bugatti myself, and the Stingray is likewise pretty.

Blackjack
2013-05-30, 10:41 AM
More pictures from the set, this time leaked by Instagram pictures posted on Seibertron. Since I'm too lazy to link pictures one by one...

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/older-model-black-camaro-spotted-on-navajo-tribal-park-in-monument-valley-transformers-4-set/27407/

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/more-transformers-4-vehicle-images/27405/

Spoilers? Okay then.

Among vehicles of interest are a beat-up semi-truck similar to G1 Optimus Prime's alternate mode, who could be anyone/thing, as well as a black Camaro... which looks slightly unfinished and non-blinged-up like the rest of the cars, so personally I'm doubtful if it's Bumblebee... maybe something like the Bumblebee-coloured beat up Datsun? Could totally be him, decked in Stealth Bumblebee colours. Just saying.

Keep in mind, other than the three pictures above, none of these are Michael Bay supplied. Could be misinformation, could be prop vehicles, could be Autobots... dunno.

There is only one question bugging me.

WHERE THE HELL IS RATCHET? :(

Blackjack
2013-05-30, 10:52 AM
Also, Joblo.com (http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusive-the-names-of-two-new-autobots-from-transformers-4-have-been-revealed?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter), whoever they are, claims to have gotten 'inside source' for the new Autobot cars' names, although I doubt they're accurate.

Apparently the Stingray is 'Slingshot', and the Bugatti is none other than the great and awesome Drift!

Nelson (http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showthread.php?10868-Slingshot-And-Drift-Confirmed!&p=206887&viewfull=1#post206887) from Michael Bay's forum or something is quick to say that 'production names do not equal final names', so even if the guy with the inside source is accurate, it could probably end up being a Mirage-turns-into-Dino or Stinger-turns-into-Sideswipe situation.

Blackjack
2013-05-30, 03:17 PM
From the mouth of the Bay (http://michaelbay.com/news/), the Camaro seen in the shots above has been confirmed as 'Bumblebee as a highly modified, vintage 1967 Camaro SS.'

Looks a lot better than blurry instagram pictures made it out to be.

Blackjack
2013-05-31, 10:33 AM
More photographs! Courtesy of DailyMail.UK. Images linked from Seibertron. We see an Autobot convoy shot, including two new vehicles not seen above... a military truck, plus some white car hiding behind the Corvette.

Click (http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1369936887_6.jpg)
Click (http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1369936887_7.jpg)

Here's (http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1369945068_0eb7ffb0c8e611e2914122000a9f1439_7.jpg) a clear shot of the truck courtesy of Instagram people.

Blackjack
2013-06-01, 09:03 AM
Michael Bay's site (http://michaelbay.com/2013/05/31/hound/) reveals the identity of the military truck. Bit of a spoiler, so...

High-res picture (http://michaelbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Hound-980.jpg)

The always rugged and reliable Hound, one of the Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles from Oshkosh Defense.

Cliffjumper
2013-06-01, 07:26 PM
Comedian T.J. Miller, has joined the cast (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tj-miller-joins-transformers-4-559359). No idea who the chap personally is, though.

The guy holding the camera in Cloverfield. Good call for the material, actually.

White thing hidden in the background = updated Ratchet?

Like the beat-up Bumblebee; probably a change to distance him from being "Sam's car". Not expecting a lot of rank-and-file continuity considering the unexplained changes between ROTF and DOTM (four dropped without mention, five added).

Skyquake87
2013-06-01, 07:54 PM
..or Prowl?

inflatable dalek
2013-06-01, 09:20 PM
I was thinking Ratchet as well, mainly because he Prime and Bumblebee seem to be the big three "Safe" Autobots.

I do like how Prime's new truck seems deliberately designed to confuse fans by being neither long nor flat nosed.

I also still think that Megatron will still be in the film, even if only in flashback, regardless of Hugo Weaving's involvement.

Blackjack
2013-06-02, 05:39 AM
White thing hidden in the background = updated Ratchet?

Oooh, please!

Slayer-Fan123
2013-06-02, 08:48 AM
Michael Bay's site (http://michaelbay.com/2013/05/31/hound/) reveals the identity of the military truck. Bit of a spoiler, so...

http://michaelbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Hound-980.jpg

The always rugged and reliable Hound, one of the Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles from Oshkosh Defense.
...I can live with this.

Red Dave Prime
2013-06-02, 12:41 PM
I was thinking Ratchet as well, mainly because he Prime and Bumblebee seem to be the big three "Safe" Autobots.

I do like how Prime's new truck seems deliberately designed to confuse fans by being neither long nor flat nosed.

I also still think that Megatron will still be in the film, even if only in flashback, regardless of Hugo Weaving's involvement.

Its not like you'd notice if they changed voice actor on Megatron. Cullen has been distinct and I think Ratchet, Ironhide, Soundwave,Sentinel and Starscream all got voiced well. The rest I wouldnt really spot a change.

I would like Bumblebee to get his vocals fixed though. I find him really irritating with the radio playback gimmick.

Blackjack
2013-06-02, 02:17 PM
I would like Bumblebee to get his vocals fixed though. I find him really irritating with the radio playback gimmick.

Surely I'm not the only one who likes Bumblebee's 'voice'?

No?

:(

Skyquake87
2013-06-02, 02:34 PM
I like it. He doesn't speak much, and I kind of like that he mainly expresses himself through his body language.

Cyberstrike nTo
2013-06-02, 02:34 PM
Surely I'm not the only one who likes Bumblebee's 'voice'?

No?

:(

It worked fine in the first one, but in the second and third films it became an annoyance because he did speak at the end of the first one.

I would question the cost of his radio voice licensing songs and getting permission from actors and/or the estates of dead actors (like John Wayne), getting permission other companies who seem to cost a lot of money.

Blackjack
2013-06-02, 05:35 PM
To be fair, I did prefer Prime Bumblebee's adorable bwee bwee thing he's got going on, but I'm a big fan of Mobie Bumblebee's radio-speech. After all, he did have 'voice problems' in ROTF.

Blackjack
2013-06-07, 12:40 PM
Michael Bay (http://michaelbay.com/2013/06/07/lamborghini-aventador/) unveils yet another car, this time a personal favourite of mine...

High-res picture (http://michaelbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Lamborghini-980.jpg)

Unveiling yet another surprise . . . the extraordinary and exhilarating 2013 Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4 Coupe.

Cue the 'this should be Sideswipe' posts from G1ners...

Rack 'n Ruin
2013-06-07, 01:01 PM
This should be Sunstreaker!

:p

Cliffjumper
2013-06-07, 01:15 PM
I would question the cost of his radio voice licensing songs and getting permission from actors and/or the estates of dead actors (like John Wayne), getting permission other companies who seem to cost a lot of money.

IIRC everything he says is Paramount (or subsidiary) owned; music is usually covered by agreements with whichever label covers the soundtrack (which for large studios is often a long-standing pre-existing relationship). I seriously doubt the clips are actually costing them much at all; if they were, they'd use different clips which didn't. TBH I'm not entirely convinced Bumblebee's voice did come back fully at the end of the first one; he said two lines and the only reason people know they're not a grab from another film is because Mark "Guest episode of Dempsey & Makepeace" Ryan's smallfry enough to do the convention rounds.

Lambo would make a good 'swipe if they're rebodying everyone. Not expecting a huge amount of support cast continuity TBH; wouldn't be amazed if the Wreckers get Jolted, which'll at least mean IDW can do a six issue mini-series where they have exactly the same personalities as their G1/2 namesakes and die epic deaths facing some Decepticon mastermind who's in about three scenes of the film itself. Plus we get to watch them jump through hoops about Arcee all over again.

Blackjack
2013-06-07, 01:28 PM
TBH I'm not entirely convinced Bumblebee's voice did come back fully at the end of the first one

This.

(Actually, when I first saw the movie I thought Bumblebee was still quoting films, just a particularly suitable one, and Sam going 'you can speak now' is him being an idiot.)

Lambo would make a good 'swipe if they're rebodying everyone.

Would be a bit strange having a Corvette in the cast if Sideswipe remained, though, in my opinion....

And there's nothing to say that the Aventador is an Autobot either, come to think of it.

Not expecting a huge amount of support cast continuity TBH; wouldn't be amazed if the Wreckers get Jolted

At this rate I won't be surprised if Bumblebee and Optimus turned out to be the only returning characters. Maybe, just maybe, Ratchet but even then I would be surprised if he did return.

which'll at least mean IDW can do a six issue mini-series where they have exactly the same personalities as their G1/2 namesakes and die epic deaths facing some Decepticon mastermind who's in about three scenes of the film itself. Plus we get to watch them jump through hoops about Arcee all over again.

Yeah, they'll probably do a big miniseries explaining where Arcee, the Twins, Sideswipe, the Wreckers and Mario all disappeared to.

Frankly I'm surprised there hasn't already been a post-DOTM series detailing why Shockwave is such a mook in the movie or where the Twins disappeared off to.

inflatable dalek
2013-06-07, 03:07 PM
Agreed that all the soundtrack stuff Bumblebee used comes under Paramount's ownership (though the TV rights for Star Trek are no longer owned by the company oddly enough, so they may have had to pay CBS more for that clip from Amok Time than all of Bumblebee's bits cost them put together. Presuming that Uhura's quote in the first one came from one of the still Paramount owned films. Ah, the joys of a company breaking up. Is there any other franchise where the rights to all past and future TV versions are owned by one group and the similar rights to movies are owned by somebody else?).

I'm not entirely convinced Bumblebee's voice did come back fully at the end of the first one; he said two lines and the only reason people know they're not a grab from another film is because Mark "Guest episode of Dempsey & Makepeace" Ryan's smallfry enough to do the convention rounds.

You're just jelous because you'll never attain those dizzy heights of Dempsy and Makepeace :p

In fairness though, the people who assume that include the people actually making the films, Ryan's lines for Bumblebee in the two sequels were all cut out after he recorded them IIRC. The fact they were still writing the character dialogue into the third one suggests that, whilst they obviously couldn't come up with something that worked as well as mute Bee they never considered him not to have been fixed, just he never got around to talking on camera. Though how that works "In Universe" is more up to the viewer of course.

Personally, I'd go with film Bumblebee being nuts enough to not bother talking because he likes the whole radio thing.

Considering it's a black Lamborghini perhaps it'll be Dead End? Though I do want Bay to mind **** the wiki by calling one totally random character either Mirage or Wheeljack.

Blackjack
2013-06-07, 04:28 PM
Considering it's a black Lamborghini perhaps it'll be Dead End? Though I do want Bay to mind **** the wiki by calling one totally random character either Mirage or Wheeljack.

Wildrider's the black Stunticon!

Breakdown's the Lamborghini Stunticon!

Let's call this bloke MOTORMASTER!

Summerhayes
2013-06-08, 10:00 PM
The problem with that optimus is that it doesn't leave any room to make a squat, chibi fast action battler version.

Blackjack
2013-06-09, 02:32 PM
Old bodies, old bodies... (http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/uploads/1370736201_3.jpg)

Summerhayes
2013-06-09, 06:21 PM
Could this man we're going to see the actual conversion then? If imagined it as more of a soft reboot kinda thing.

Blackjack
2013-06-19, 03:08 AM
Teaser Poster (http://www.seibertron.com/images/movie/uploads/1371595445_Capture.JPG)

SPOILERS: THERE WILL BE DECEPTICONS IN IT

ganon578
2013-06-25, 11:01 PM
A friend of mine sent me these via phone. They live in Adrian, MI where I used to attend college. Apparently they're filming there at the moment and my friend managed to snap some shots of Optimus! Sorry for the somewhat poor quality.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/raistlin578/594_zpsa2ac0fc3.png (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/raistlin578/media/594_zpsa2ac0fc3.png.html)

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/raistlin578/593_zps4512aa01.png (http://s74.photobucket.com/user/raistlin578/media/593_zps4512aa01.png.html)

Summerhayes
2013-06-26, 10:47 AM
Lawn and tree care specialist? The plot is about optimus trying to make up for stepping on Sam's mum's flowers in the first film. You heard it here first!

Blackjack
2013-06-27, 02:10 AM
The amount of fancy sports cars are increasing!

From the mouth of Bay, which makes it likely that this is another Autobot or Transformer since everything in his blog is one, is a Pagani Huayra.
Considered a masterpiece of design and engineering, this fierce, 2013 blood red Pagani Huayra, is named after an ancient Andean God of Wind. High resolution photo: http://bayhem.com/15BERvQ

Picture (http://michaelbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Pagani-980.jpg)

And people over in Seibe (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/more-possible-transformers-4-vehicles-sighted/27684/)rtron (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/1965-1969-gtos-to-appear-in-transformers-4/27679/) have been reporting seeing a silver concept Cadillac Cien, a concept Buick Velite, white Ferrari, blue Aston Martin and a pair of GTO's.

Cliffjumper
2013-06-27, 07:05 AM
It'd actually be a logical extension of the way the first three have been going if we moved more towards having lots of characters with less characterisation, more of an army than a team. Which is difficult to fault in a way as that's the set-up for the eighties material with the tight well-characterised 'team' (as seen in the 07 film) being a much newer idea to Transformers (only really properly coming into play in BW). Of course, the bugdet for coming up with 20 or so new transforming robots would be mental... mind, "non-transforming" characters like the Wreckers or the Twins must by definition cost about half as much as - say - Jazz.

numbat
2013-06-27, 07:26 AM
Nice that Prime has had an overhaul, although I prefer real-world vehicles rather than all of these customs... The smokestacks are very Rodimus though, but I can see the design growing on me (it's relatively similar to FE Prime I guess, but more space-age bizarrely). I wonder if the robot mode will have changed significantly.

Also liking all the snazzy sports cars, but would like to see more practical vehicles like pick-ups or construction (or - a Land Rover Defender would be a dream, but I'd take any other kind of Landy or even a Jeep...). But, hey, guess kids prefer souped up cars.

Sure I'll enjoy the film anyway - all it has to do is deliver transforming robots and some action after all, and Bay has demonstrated he's very good at both (if lacking in other areas).

Knightdramon
2013-06-27, 01:59 PM
Don't really expect much from this film in regards to the transformer characters, and the multitude of vehicles speaks volume of that.

Just hope that this time they bother to make figures of all the autobot cars instead of the mess of DOTM.

numbat
2013-06-27, 04:05 PM
Just hope that this time they bother to make figures of all the autobot cars instead of the mess of DOTM.
I'm with you on that! DOTM was a really disappointing toy line, and a marketing disaster to boot!

Unicron
2013-06-27, 05:42 PM
Hmmm... all these sports cars, upgrades to the alt modes of Prime and Bumblebee, the old ones still floating around. I wonder if they're gonna pull a reverse-Masquerade with Stunticons impersonating the Autobots.

Cliffjumper
2013-06-27, 06:22 PM
Hmmm... all these sports cars, upgrades to the alt modes of Prime and Bumblebee, the old ones still floating around. I wonder if they're gonna pull a reverse-Masquerade with Stunticons impersonating the Autobots.

Definitely got potential as a twist and a way of bringing in some 'new' villains, would also play nicely with the anti-Autobot political stuff seen in the last couple too. Would also be a snazzy bit of Bay 'misdirection' (i.e. trying to stop joyless nerds from revealing key plot points months in advance when they scour PC game files).

I do find Optimus' upgrade a bit baffling, as to a certain demographic the long-nosed cab is probably iconic in its' own way (is he the only TF to remain all-but-unchanged for all three or is that something I've made up to look like I'm a genius?).

numbat
2013-06-28, 05:44 AM
I do find Optimus' upgrade a bit baffling, as to a certain demographic the long-nosed cab is probably iconic in its' own way (is he the only TF to remain all-but-unchanged for all three or is that something I've made up to look like I'm a genius?).
I think his vehicle mode remains largely the same in all three, but so does Ironhide's if I recall.

Ironhide's robot mode also remains the same (again, if my recollection is correct), but Prime's doesn't. Other than the obvious Jetfire combo in ROTF and the jetpack in DOTM which are add-ons, his stomach is totally different in DOTM (presumably repairs from that massive gash Megatron left in him in ROTF?).

Undoubtedly the TF4 pics suggest Prime's bigger makeover if the Stunticon theory isn't correct.

inflatable dalek
2013-06-28, 06:02 AM
Starscream stayed the same as well didn't he?

Knightdramon
2013-06-28, 09:25 AM
Starscream got CGI tribal tattoos all over the place in both vehicle and robot mode, as well as being more refined in bot mode than he was in movie 1.

I just love how people speculate and build upon theories, and in the end we'll probably be mind f*cked by a totally mindless plot and possibly most of these vehicles will serve as background items and whatnot. :lol:

Cliffjumper
2013-06-28, 10:50 AM
I think his vehicle mode remains largely the same in all three, but so does Ironhide's if I recall.

Good call, ditto on 'screamer. But I do think it's an odd choice to meddle with the mode at this stage and consider it might be shenanigans.

I do think Op and 'bee will be seriously hogging most of the Bot time to help with the lead transition (because how well Shia is replaced is going to be THE big test of TF4 from a normal person perspective); Hound could just be the name slapped on the guy who turns into a military vehicle who ends up doing less than Jolt.

Blackjack
2013-06-28, 01:12 PM
Again from the mouth of the Bay (http://michaelbay.com/2013/06/28/freightliner/):

The adventure continues to transform with a very different offering from Daimler Trucks North America . . . the imposing 2014 Argosy cab-over truck by Freightliner.

Image (http://michaelbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Freightliner-980.jpg)

inflatable dalek
2013-06-28, 01:26 PM
So yeah, Motormaster then (they wouldn't do Nemesis Prime right after Sentinel as the baddy would they? Though I suppose it could be Scourge. Or Huffer for all I know).

In terms of returning cast, I'm going to guess Morshower is a cert (the army are going to be involved somewhere and they'll need someone to shout orders whilst looking at screens, why create what would basically be the same character? Plus Bay seems to like him to the point his character's death didn't stop him coming back in the last two) and that there might be a surprise passing the torch cameo from Shia.

Blackjack
2013-06-30, 08:58 AM
This (http://www.seibertron.com/images/movie/uploads/1372555678_Capture.JPG) dude kind of showed up, which surprised me.

Guess some of the DOTM Autobots are returning after all.

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-07-01, 02:01 AM
Starscream got CGI tribal tattoos all over the place in both vehicle and robot mode, as well as being more refined in bot mode than he was in movie 1.

I just love how people speculate and build upon theories, and in the end we'll probably be mind f*cked by a totally mindless plot and possibly most of these vehicles will serve as background items and whatnot. :lol:

Not surprised. Fanboy had been speculating the bejeezus out of Star Wars before it went "deep".

Besides, most of the speculation is "How will Bay rape our childhoods" anyways.

Cliffjumper
2013-07-02, 09:52 PM
New pics of Bumblebee as a 2014 Camaro. Definitely something crazy going on with those duplicate cars, surely? Could it be that Bay's finally going to be the guy to say "hang on, why don't they just change alt modes whenever they fancy it?". Probably not.

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-07-03, 08:07 AM
New pics of Bumblebee as a 2014 Camaro. Definitely something crazy going on with those duplicate cars, surely? Could it be that Bay's finally going to be the guy to say "hang on, why don't they just change alt modes whenever they fancy it?". Probably not.

Maybe the Movies are aping AHM or something. I mean, they've got Drift right?

Hell, Maybe Drift's epic redemption story would even be in the Movie! ( instead of "supplementary materials") I would certainly call that an improvement over an already winning formula

Summerhayes
2013-07-08, 11:51 AM
I think its time for me to stop coming on this thread. Optimus' death, Sentinel's turn, the Optimus-flies-in-and-kills-everyone-in-slo-mo money shot... Way too much gets spoilered. I don't think I'll even watch the trailers this time around.

This (http://www.seibertron.com/images/movie/uploads/1372555678_Capture.JPG) dude kind of showed up, which surprised me.

Guess some of the DOTM Autobots are returning after all.

Well, Roberts' comics have been doing moderately well, haven't they? If not in sales, at least in nerd good will. It would definitely make sense to keep the Wreckers name in there somewhere.

Lord Zarak
2013-07-18, 05:53 PM
and that there might be a surprise passing the torch cameo from Shia.

Are you dropping a hint about your own involvement here? ;)

Summerhayes
2013-09-04, 12:55 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1174578_10152220165329832_762760729_n.jpg

Yep. I am excited.
Anyway, starting now I'm avoiding spoilers. I swear!

Extinction? If that doesn't imply dinosaurs, I don't know how to infer things.

Blackjack
2013-09-04, 01:30 PM
It's been confirmed by Lorenzo or some dude or other, IIRC.

Have been avoiding spoilers myself, but I'm kinda excited.

Summerhayes
2013-09-04, 01:36 PM
It's been confirmed by Lorenzo or some dude or other, IIRC.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=38611

Yeah, seems legit.

Okay, NOW I'm avoiding spoilers, I swear to god.

Clay
2013-11-09, 12:15 AM
Here's Optimus riding Grimlock, because awesome is why. (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-just-movie-31/transformers-4-age-of-extinction-new-dinobot-image-178739/)

Prowl1984
2013-11-09, 11:55 PM
A robot warrior riding a Robot dinosaur in to battle against other robots. Michael Bay just out-Michael Bay'd himself.

Unicron
2013-11-10, 01:32 AM
A robot warrior riding a Robot dinosaur in to battle against other robots. Michael Bay just out-Michael Bay'd himself.
Almost but it's not quite there. Nothing is exploding.

numbat
2013-12-01, 09:56 AM
Empire has a nice Age of Extinction cover with the new Optimus Prime. It also has a feature article with 'all you need to know' about the film. The article pretty much has no info to do with the film itself though other than the Autobots vanished after DOTM and have not been seen for years but return after a new threat presents itself and Mark Wahlberg's inventor character finds a buried Transformer and reactivates it. That may already be widely known, but was new to me.

Anyhoo - cover is at: http://www.empireonline.com/magazine/

Knightdramon
2013-12-01, 03:03 PM
New pictures show legends or powerdashers versions of Hound, Bumblebee and Swoop.

Too chubby and kiddified to make much of their designs, but Swoop is definitely a dinosaur.

Cliffjumper
2013-12-01, 04:24 PM
That may already be widely known, but was new to me.

Good foundation if you ask me - skips a lot of silly questions, nice 'soft' reboot idea. It's easily the best thing for the franchise long term that Shia, Duhamel, Turturro etc. have moved on as it was getting difficult to come up with non-contrived ways to get them all together.

The missus has an Empire subscription. Article is very, very human focused and very cookie-cutter PR (the sort of simpering shit Empire do for stuff then give it one star a year later), so probably not worth springing for - but at the same time very spoiler free.

Red Dave Prime
2013-12-02, 12:53 AM
If we can get something closer to the style of the first one and some of the third, I'll be pretty happy. A lot of my dislike on the trilogy is to do with the main human family (and Shia as well). A new cast could solve a lot of those problems.

The setting for the reboot also makes a lot of sense.

Now if only they could get Joss to direct (kidding CJ!!)

Slayer-Fan123
2013-12-02, 08:57 AM
If we can get something closer to the style of the first one and some of the third, I'll be pretty happy. A lot of my dislike on the trilogy is to do with the main human family (and Shia as well). A new cast could solve a lot of those problems.

The setting for the reboot also makes a lot of sense.

Now if only they could get Joss to direct (kidding CJ!!)
Less focus overall on humans would be good overall. I didn't have any problem with the original human cast except that they showed up too often.

Also Shia killing Megatron in the first one, but that's not Shia's fault.

Red Dave Prime
2013-12-02, 12:39 PM
Also Shia killing Megatron in the first one, but that's not Shia's fault.

Yes it was, the prick :)

I dont know if less humans is the answer. I think you need that element to get across the scale and alien aspect of the transformers and when you only have 2 hours to do that (even with sequels) I think the human characters become vital.

Just hate that so often with this kind of movies they have to be kids or teenagers. Would like to see a more serious aspect of genuine human interaction with an alien species. More Frances McDormand, less Meg Fox for me.

Should note that the teenager / kid is obviously not limited to just transformer movies but many a sci-fi big budget film.

Cliffjumper
2013-12-02, 01:33 PM
Less focus overall on humans would be good overall. I didn't have any problem with the original human cast except that they showed up too often.

Problem is this needs to sell to real people. Plus even in big budget sci-fi terms the amount of CGI needed for Transformers is staggering. It's a different league to BW or even Prime. I really don't think there'd be quite so many generic army guys in the big explody scenes if they could afford it

I dont know if less humans is the answer. I think you need that element to get across the scale and alien aspect of the transformers and when you only have 2 hours to do that (even with sequels) I think the human characters become vital.

No, a strong human presence is crucial for the live action stuff IMO. Not just from the commercial point of view or even a budgetary point of view, but because the interaction with 'real life' is something genuinely amazing for Transformers.

The forest fight isn't just great because of the fight itself, it's great because in among all the flying robot limbs there's Shia dodging in between trees; the fight in Mission City is great because everyone's interacting with a city full of people. Hell, even silly little things like the scenes in the NEST hangar. Interaction with humans is the one thing nothing else in Transformers can actually do; take that away and you might as well be watching a cartoon.

Just hate that so often with this kind of movies they have to be kids or teenagers. Would like to see a more serious aspect of genuine human interaction with an alien species.

Yeh... does look like we're heading in the right direction, though. I liked Sam but his story had pretty much ran its' course and it's encouraging that we don't seem to be getting a direct replacement.

numbat
2013-12-02, 02:09 PM
New pictures show legends or powerdashers versions of Hound, Bumblebee and Swoop.

Too chubby and kiddified to make much of their designs, but Swoop is definitely a dinosaur.
Whereabouts are the pics?

Summerhayes
2013-12-02, 03:23 PM
I actually snapped and bought that, so I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of spoilers. Nice glossy Optimus front cover, though, so I'm happy with the purchase. A good excitement-builder without ruining the film.
My favourite part was the article saying "they're filming in China to make lots of money" then the quote from Di Boneradventure saying "we filmed in China for creative reasons, I swear!"

Knightdramon
2013-12-04, 08:11 PM
For your eyes only, numbat (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys-products-30/first-look-at-transformers-age-of-extinction-bumblebee-hound-and-strafe-toys-178866/) ;)

Onto the subject of humans, there's a thin line that almost all 3 transformers films passed.

As presented on a stand up comedy show in Greece, one of the presenters said "basically, transformers are the extras in their movie!". I believe that was extremely accurate, especially for ROTF and the first half of DOTM.

Red Dave Prime
2013-12-04, 10:18 PM
For your eyes only, numbat (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys-products-30/first-look-at-transformers-age-of-extinction-bumblebee-hound-and-strafe-toys-178866/) ;)

Onto the subject of humans, there's a thin line that almost all 3 transformers films passed.

As presented on a stand up comedy show in Greece, one of the presenters said "basically, transformers are the extras in their movie!". I believe that was extremely accurate, especially for ROTF and the first half of DOTM.

Bit like saying Jurassic Park should have just been the dinosaurs hanging around eating each other.

Actually, that might have been better.

numbat
2013-12-07, 04:06 PM

Thanks!

Hound looks really cool actually. I'll need to wait and see with the Dinobots. Look forward to seeing some of the Age of Extinction Generations toys.

Bit like saying Jurassic Park should have just been the dinosaurs hanging around eating each other.

Actually, that might have been better.
I think it's called 'Disney's Dinosaur' or the upcoming reboot, 'Walking with Dinosaurs 3D'.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Jurassic Park...

Clay
2014-02-03, 01:44 AM
znEByaaG1UY

Optimus Prime riding a tyrannosaur. All arguments are invalid.

Blackjack
2014-02-03, 03:12 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

So excite

Slayer-Fan123
2014-02-03, 03:17 AM
Who is the green one?

Also, Optimus riding a T-Rex into battle is pretty cool.

Blackjack
2014-02-03, 03:55 AM
That guy with a cape parachuting and blowing shit up

The two headed dragon monster crow bird thing

Dude with a cannon face

Cars exploding and shit

That OPTIMUS PRIME RIDING A T-REX

IN CHINA

numbat
2014-02-03, 12:57 PM
That looks awesome!

The PS3 KILLeR
2014-02-03, 02:05 PM
Green guy is crosshairs.

Overall I really liked this teaser. Although the CG is kinda... cartoony, the movie is still 5 months away so I'm sure it'll be touched upon.

Most of the comments I've seen around the web are "No plot again just spolsions and running!" or "UGH! Still has humans!!!" I don't get it... it's a teaser that's 30 seconds from a 2 hour movie the plot nor anything but signature shots will be in it, and only the ones that are rendered enough for public view. Some people need to chill and just wait to see how it turns out.

Plus Bay gave us THIS!
http://nerdreactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/transformers-age-of-extinction-grimlock-optimus-prime.jpg

I'm happy! :D

inflatable dalek
2014-02-03, 08:21 PM
I can't see it making converts of anyone who wasn't too keen on the films, but that final shot is indeed the most Michael Bay-ey thing ever.

It terms of Superbowl ads, the 24 one with Jack Bauer Vs. Exploding London actually got me more excited.

DinoBoss
2014-02-03, 08:25 PM
is that galvatron?? that cannon transformer looks sword!

The PS3 KILLeR
2014-02-03, 10:06 PM
Does the Neon Green on Crosshairs sit well with anyone? I don't like it... His design is rad though.

Slayer-Fan123
2014-02-04, 12:30 AM
I can't see it making converts of anyone who wasn't too keen on the films, but that final shot is indeed the most Michael Bay-ey thing ever.

It terms of Superbowl ads, the 24 one with Jack Bauer Vs. Exploding London actually got me more excited.

OH I'm so excited for it, even if it's only 12 episodes.
That's a completely different topic though.

Blackjack
2014-02-04, 01:38 AM
Yeah it's got London exploding and all but can Jack Bauer's face turn into a gun?

(Totally missed the 24 trailer, in all seriousness... fairly excited that they're even making a 24 sequel thing.)

Clay
2014-02-04, 02:34 AM

It's very primal imagery. Probably not going to be a subtle commentary on socioeconomic stratification, but it has a visual power to it all the same.

Skyquake87
2014-02-04, 07:21 AM
Looks entertaining. Hopefully, this will be as good as the first film and have less of the string-some-set-pieces-together vibe of the second and bad acting of the third.

I know I'll end up enjoying this, despite feeling less than excited about the film. With the expected screen time and characterisation the 'bots will get, there could be anyone up on screen and it'll work. Doesn't really matter to me. The robots are just there for spectacle and the sort of fighty smashy stuff you don't get in the cartoons. I just like how visceral the films are and I'm good with that.

Kungfu Dinobot
2014-02-04, 08:11 AM
Most of the comments I've seen around the web are "No plot again just spolsions and running!" or "UGH! Still has humans!!!" I don't get it... it's a teaser that's 30 seconds from a 2 hour movie the plot nor anything but signature shots will be in it, and only the ones that are rendered enough for public view. Some people need to chill and just wait to see how it turns out.

If there's one thing Armchair "Decepticons" like to remind us, it is how "sophisticated" and "anti-racist" they are. That why they frown upon anything "pro-western" and hate human perspectives(because to be "anti-racist" means hating your own species).

Plus Bay gave us THIS!
http://nerdreactor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/transformers-age-of-extinction-grimlock-optimus-prime.jpg

I'm happy! :D

I wonder if there's anyone wanking about Mechagodzilla from FOC before are now complaining that this Grimlock is "unrealistic":lol:

The PS3 KILLeR
2014-02-04, 03:27 PM
If there's one thing Armchair "Decepticons" like to remind us, it is how "sophisticated" and "anti-racist" they are. That why they frown upon anything "pro-western" and hate human perspectives(because to be "anti-racist" means hating your own species).

I wonder if there's anyone wanking about Mechagodzilla from FOC before are now complaining that this Grimlock is "unrealistic":lol:

I don't care what he looks like we got Grimlock as a T-rex, and that's something Bay said he'd NEVER do... I claim it as a victory and welcome it with open arms! :D

numbat
2014-02-04, 05:49 PM
Grimlock must be f*$%^g massive!

The PS3 KILLeR
2014-02-04, 06:17 PM
Grimlock must be f*$%^g massive!

Well Optimus is 28 feet tall, so Grimlock must be at least 60FT! Most likely bigger since he seems to be hunched over a bit... DAMN! That's that's just huge!!! :eek:

If he doesn't destroy half of Hong Kong I'll be surprised and highly disappointed.

Summerhayes
2014-02-04, 07:40 PM
I promised myself I wouldn't watch any trailers, but... damn. I'm psyched.

inflatable dalek
2014-02-04, 09:11 PM
Yeah it's got London exploding and all but can Jack Bauer's face turn into a gun?

He once killed a man with his teeth, face guns are for weaklings.

24 is probably the only show in history where the lead riding a trex into battle would be slightly less ludicrous than the usual sort of stuff that goes on in it.

On topic-ish... I've always had Kieffer Sutherland down as my personal choice for Grimlock, assuming of course the unlikely event of them not going for the dumb as buggery cartoon portrayal of the Dinobot leader.

Kungfu Dinobot
2014-02-08, 04:45 AM
I don't care what he looks like we got Grimlock as a T-rex, and that's something Bay said he'd NEVER do... I claim it as a victory and welcome it with open arms! :D

Meh, Chris Ryall gave us two reboots in exactly one year, so who cares if Bay changes his mind? I was expecting Dinobots with Vehicle altmodes and beast/lizardmen robot modes (like Scorponok/Scalpel/that unused Steeljaw concept), but this works too.

P.S. checked around for trailer responses. Boy, am I right or am I right? Apparently, making a pterosaur a flying brick with rocket engines is more "realistic" than giving one two heads (despite the fact that tetrapods had been known to develop "Janus Syndrome" or whatevs it is called)

DinoBoss
2014-03-05, 09:38 AM
So the full trailer is up. I like how optimus is hiding in his g1 vehicle mode. And yes i did call it i was right, that is Galvatron. I hope he has a boss cannon alt mode.

Blackjack
2014-03-05, 11:49 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

FULL TRAILER

lAnZqBPNlT0

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ahem.

Generally, the movie seems to be fairly more mature and is far less ROTF/DOTM 'big international robot conspiracy superhero movie with wacky hijinks' and more TFTM's 'a small group of robots and human friends against the government and a massive Decepticon army'. Scaled up like DOTM. Generally great stuff, actually happy to see a lot of the bad comedy be pruned away... from the four minutes or so that we can see, anyway.

Kungfu Dinobot
2014-03-05, 11:59 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

FULL TRAILER

lAnZqBPNlT0

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ahem.

Generally, the movie seems to be fairly more mature and is far less ROTF/DOTM 'big international robot conspiracy superhero movie with wacky hijinks' and more TFTM's 'a small group of robots and human friends against the government and a massive Decepticon army'. Scaled up like DOTM. Generally great stuff, actually happy to see a lot of the bad comedy be pruned away... from the four minutes or so that we can see, anyway.

Dang, this is SWAG

I'd love to see IDW or High Moon come up with something like that:p

Blackjack
2014-03-05, 12:02 PM
Rewatching it, other than the new robots we've seen in the Superbowl trailer, I can recognize a new Autobot and a returning one from the original trilogy. :)

So excite, mostly because this isn't a promise of 'more of the same' but an actual soft reboot, tone-wise.

Kungfu Dinobot
2014-03-05, 12:08 PM
So excite, mostly because this isn't a promise of 'more of the same' but an actual soft reboot, tone-wise.

I dunno, considering the weird shit Mark Wahlberg's holding I expect fanboys will be wailing about humans being too useful again:lol:

Blackjack
2014-03-05, 12:13 PM
Fanboys can whine, the public can whine, so long as we get more 2007 and less ROTF I don't mind. I mean, I like ROTF, messy disjointed mess that it was, but even then I'd prefer a real good movie.

Kungfu Dinobot
2014-03-05, 12:16 PM
Your'e such a bro, Blackjack. Can I have a brohug?:angel:

Skyquake87
2014-03-05, 05:28 PM
Trailer looks good! Mind you, I've been to see the last three so there's no way I wont be going to see this one. Whatever else I think about the films, it is preposterously cool to see Transformers up on the big screen. Plot for this one looks interesting. Liked the 'Remember Chicago' sign up there.

inflatable dalek
2014-03-05, 07:19 PM
Could go either way for me, all the city destruction stuff feels a bit old hat, but it is nice to see a return to the "One bloke and his car" idea from the first one, and Grimlock getting punched was just awesome sauce.

Brimstone
2014-03-05, 08:03 PM
Was that Ratchet in there? It's too fast, I can't tell. But I think it is.

And Dino/Mirage, too? Or is that just another red dude? (again, too fast, can't tell)

Don't mess with Texas! LOL!

Blackjack
2014-03-05, 09:29 PM
Was that Ratchet in there? It's too fast, I can't tell. But I think it is.

And Dino/Mirage, too? Or is that just another red dude? (again, too fast, can't tell)

The scenes with Ratchet were really blurry and there were explosions and blinky effects so I can't be 100% sure, but the shoulders and hands and general shape do look like him.

Red dude stood still so I could get a look at him, definitely not Dino. I think he's the Pagani Huagrya (or however you spell it) that Michael Bay showed off some time ago.

Red Dave Prime
2014-03-05, 10:00 PM
I consider myself a sceptic on how it all hangs together but some of the trailer looks more than decent. It possibly could thread a too familiar path to DOTM but if we are losing the stupid attempts at humour I would be very happy with that. A return to the vibe of the first movie with the scale of the third and none of the humour of the second is a workable formula.

For the record I am firmly in the "transformers needs human characters" camp, at least with the movies. The comics can go either way because it costs nothing extra to show scenes of robots building character, obviously this is more costly and difficult in a two hour movie.

Also - I am not that impressed with Grimlock. Very "meh" design for me. With or without Optimus on top.

Clay
2014-03-05, 10:30 PM
I'll admit, I laughed when Optimus punched Grimlock. Reminded me of the bit from Blazing Saddles where the guy punches the horse.

Brimstone
2014-03-05, 11:47 PM
Red dude stood still so I could get a look at him, definitely not Dino. I think he's the Pagani Huagrya (or however you spell it) that Michael Bay showed off some time ago.I'd better be careful here because I don't want to be spoiled on anything (I know nothing about the plot), but I see in the background there with the red dude...it's like they're in a museum or something and Bumblebee's face is on a placard on the wall. Next to it is possibly the red dude...it looks like him. And it says his name is Stynger.

I'm very intrigued by this possible story.

'Bee looks badass though with his new altmode and his slick new battle mask, or whatever it is called.

Clay
2014-03-06, 11:22 PM
Also in Japan, here are pictures for the new movie pre-line, Lost Age. (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys-products-30/in-hand-photos-of-takara-tomy-transformers-lost-age-advanced-line-toys-179437/)

Basically, premium paint jobs and remolds of existing stuff, but some neat (and random crap) things in there!

Protoform Optimus Prime, in G1 Colors
A metallic redeco of Battle Blades Bumblebee
Seemingly untouched rereleases of the upcoming Age of Extinction Deluxe Bumblebee and Crosshairs
Deluxe Dark of the Moon Starscream in his first movie colors
Dispensor, a Deluxe 2007 Movie Payload retool complete with Mounta- "Mood Wiplash" deco.
Hunt for the Decepticons Voyager Optimus Prime, in a metallic deco.
Legends Devastator from Revenge of the Fallen, in a Movie-Accurate Deco
Deluxe class Dino/Mirage, a retool of Revenge of the Fallen Sideways with new head and armblades.
Dark of the Moon Jolt in ROTF Colors with movie-accurate whips
Dark of the Moon Deluxe Ratchet in Generation 1 colors
"Darkside Soundwave", a black redeco of the Dark of the Moon Soundwave Deluxe.

Some thoughts...

Dino: Well, at least they kind of tried, finally.
Jolt: YES NOW
Voyager Prime and Bumblebee: very pretty
Dispensor: has a vending machine painted on the top of the truck, so... that actually works.

Slayer-Fan123
2014-03-08, 04:48 AM
Another Devastator? Neat, I guess.

Blackjack
2014-03-08, 07:01 AM
Cute redecoes, none which I remotely want (or can afford to replace the moulds which I already own). Dispensor is a nice touch though, and that is a quasi-serviceable Dino...

-scrolls down-

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLT

I MUST OWN THAT JOLT

HOLY MOTHER OF BARBEQUES THAT IS GORGEOUS

numbat
2014-03-08, 10:00 AM
Dispensor, Jolt and Dino are musts for me... Assuming I can afford them. When are these out?

Blackjack
2014-03-08, 01:30 PM
Not to impressed with Dino honestly, but I do appreciate the amount of retooling went into him -- those new blades and the new head in particular are gorgeous -- but I cannot see him as anything but 'red Sideways'. It's a... passable figure with what Takara had to work with.

Dispensor, though, holy shit, blew the thing out of the water. That new head! That awesome show-accurate cannon! And a quasi-appropriate alternate mode! I really, really really hope Dispensor gets released in a Hasbro line, because while I would really want to own him Dispensor isn't something I want to pay import prices for. Didn't we see a Dispensor in an early leaked toy list or something?

That Jolt, though. That Jolt is beautiful. Simply gorgeous. COME ON MICHAEL BAY PUT JOLT IN AGE OF EXTINCTION

HE CAN RIDE GRIMLOCK AND WHIP THE SHIT OUT OF DECEPTICONS AND EVERYTHING

Thoughts on the rest:
-Redecoes of RTS Optimus and Bumblebee: secretly dying inside because they look better but no way am I paying import prices for slightly touched-up versions of toys I already own.
-Age of Extinction Bumblebee and Crosshairs (presumably the green robot I don't otherwise recognize) look horrible. I know, side-toyline for children, and I suppose in that vein it's okay, but Bumblebee has a really messy chest transformation and clown shoes, whereas Crosshairs seems to have shitty shoulders and all sorts of ugly kibble on his back which just look bad.
-G1 redeco of Protoform Optimus = MEH
-G1 redeco Ratchet = do people seriously buy these things? Ew.
-Soundblaster redeco of Soundwave = honestly surprised they didn't do him in blue and yellow.
-2007 Movie redeco of DOTM Starscream = looks even worse and cheaper than the actual DOTM toy actually.
-Legends Devastator = Hooooly shit the face is gorgeous. Doesn't forgive the general terrible-ness about the hunchbacked toy, but the touch-ups made to the Mixmaster face and the Scrapper arm do make Devastator look far more presentable.

Clay
2014-03-08, 05:13 PM
Dispensor, Jolt and Dino are musts for me... Assuming I can afford them. When are these out?

They're supposed to be out in Japan in early May.

Clay
2014-03-15, 06:33 PM
Transformers 4 Halloween costumes (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys-products-30/official-images-of-transformers-4-age-of-extinction-halloween-costumes-by-disguise-179494/)

Man, I'm gonna have to lose 15 pounds if I want to fit into the halter top.

Clay
2014-04-12, 10:25 PM
Somebody got the leader class Grimlock and posted pictures (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys-products-30/age-of-extinction-leader-grimlock-in-hand-review-179683/)

The leader class, she's shrinking!

Also, what's with all the colors? Grimlock, going by the movie trailer, is mostly gray. Certainly not brown and chrome. Is Hasbro really that reluctant to release a gray robot toy?

Skyquake87
2014-04-12, 11:50 PM
I dunno, Hasbro's cost cutting for DOTM gave us a couple of almost completely grey and therefore terrible looking toys (Sideswipe, Soundwave, Jolt). Grey plastics never look nice and always end up looking like a test model or something to me. Although Grimlock falls into the same sort of mess as the Prime Predacons, I like that they've made some effort with different coloured plastics and chrome - and I should hope so, for something that's more than likely going to retail for 50 - 60.

Clay
2014-04-13, 03:06 AM
Also just remembered Leader Starscream being mostly gray and working out alright. But I wonder if the other dinobots, with as colorful as they've been, don't up end up being gray in the film too.

Skyquake87
2014-04-13, 09:21 AM
I don't mind there being some variance between the toy and the character model if it helps the toy look better. I think the colours certainly help Grimlock here, as he's an awful looking toy otherwise :)

Knightdramon
2014-04-13, 04:46 PM
I think that Hasbro is going for a more colourful palette for the toys to make them bright[er] and appealing to kids.

Grimlock was just dealt with brownish colours, more evocative of the gold her had in all previous toys.

Takara's release will have a colour scheme much closer to the film, apparently.

I do have to withdraw most of the praise I had for this line from back at toy fair--the deluxes are kind of basic [from the video reviews] and they've shrunk even more than the DOTM deluxes.

I'm not crazy about either Grimlock thus far, but I'm liking that Evasion mode Optimus. I'm hoping takara goes for a more premium, weather deco for that one in the future.

Still waiting to see how Galvatron plays out as a figure, and if he's getting a bigger release. And Lockdown.

Clay
2014-04-13, 08:25 PM
I think that Hasbro is going for a more colourful palette for the toys to make them bright[er] and appealing to kids.

Oh, I know. But it's still odd to me to have to reconcile the big, multi-jillion dollar advertisements that are the films with merchandise that's "off". You'd think they'd get it right sooner rather than later.

As for the line as a whole? Takara's redecos of previous toys (Dispensor from Payload, etc.) are what have my interest. Nothing of the new stuff has really clicked for me yet.

Knightdramon
2014-04-13, 10:05 PM
The thing is that toys from all 4 movies start looking out of place next to each other.

TF:TM to ROTF was a much better easement from one place to another. I still displayed TFTM Voyager Ironhide and Ratchet with LDR Prime, DLX Sideswipe, Twins, Jolt etc and they look like part of a whole.

DOTM toys looked way out of place next to ROTF/TFTM, and now the AoE deluxes look out of place with DOTM!

[Only DOTM toy that didn't look like a step back was LDR Sentinel, btw].

DinoBoss
2014-04-14, 05:18 PM
So, according to an interview on empire with bay, the tf with the gunface, his name is Lockdown. article also explains a bit of his background and they also suggest to keep a close eye on the inside of his ship for clues as to new characters in the next TWO movies

Knightdramon
2014-04-15, 07:31 AM
So, according to an interview on empire with bay, the tf with the gunface, his name is Lockdown. article also explains a bit of his background and they also suggest to keep a close eye on the inside of his ship for clues as to new characters in the next TWO movies

Yeah, it's been known to be Lockdown for quite a bit.

For -everything- that Bay and co say for the movies, I'm deliberately ignoring it.

After all, this is the third TF movie he's making in a row AFTER he said he will quit and pass it to another director :lol:

Warcry
2014-05-06, 08:04 PM
Hasbro's exclusives department must be smoking some really awesome crack (http://www.allspark.com/content/2014/05/new-walmart-exclusive-age-of-extinction-figures-revealed/).

I must have that Strafe-coloured Terrorsaur. And Slug-coloured Triceradon looks really good even though I know that toy is horrible.

Osku
2014-05-07, 05:49 AM
Hasbro's exclusives department must be smoking some really awesome crack (http://www.allspark.com/content/2014/05/new-walmart-exclusive-age-of-extinction-figures-revealed/).

I must have that Strafe-coloured Terrorsaur. And Slug-coloured Triceradon looks really good even though I know that toy is horrible.
Must have! Well, BW molds at least.

And you sir are seriously wrong about triceradon mold.

Cliffjumper
2014-05-15, 12:49 PM
Latest trailer has me seriously pumped, even if I saw it the size of a postage stamp (I'm guessing by the summer there'll be some sort of Google/Apple thing in place of cinemas that plays films on the peak of a baseball cap or some shit instead).

The idea of humans actively hunting Autobots for their metal (and, TBH, that what the **** TFs are made out of is being addressed) is actually a bit different, isn't it? We've had them hunted by guys in suits who think they can control them (this always works), but plain hunting in the "killing and stripping" sense is a nice touch. Obviously there's going to be the usual property destruction and general "don't get too attatched to anyone who's not Prime or Bee" vibe, but that comes with the territory.

Has any cinema director ever, ever stuck to their guns like Bay does? Even Scorcese did Age of Innocence. Four fingers up to the people who don't like Bay films, why try and pander to people who're never going to like you anyway?

Brendocon 2.0
2014-05-20, 10:58 AM
Especially when a lot of those people are going to stump up money to see it anyway just so they can complain about how they still don't like him.

Auntie Slag
2014-06-18, 06:58 PM
It looks pretty good eh? I've been trying to stay away from all promotion of the movie or toys but that went as soon as you see the ads at the top of the page here and then the toys appear in the local supermarkets.

So today I watched the full length trailers on Youtube. I like the films premise, am a bit stunned how many big names are in this; John Goodman, Stanley Tucci, Ken Watanabe etc. The story sounds like Mark Walhberg is playing a Sparkplug Witwicky type against the Machination.

Hound is filling in for Ironhide, and both he and the others look like ripe fodder for certain parts of the film, if Lockdown and Galvatron are the two big bad guys, and maybe someone will get mashed by the Dinobots.

Prime seems to be heading towards a big 80' shoulderpads revival, so maybe Melanie Griffith will be in Transformers 5.

What happened to Sidswipe, has he gone on holiday like Jolt? As a fan I'm a bit sad that the background guys flit in and out, especially when Jolt had such a cool gimmick to be displayed on the big screen.

[Edit] Fingers crossed the Dinobots don't speak dumb. And even if it becomes the Prime & Bumblebee show again I don't mind, because these films have made Prime completely brilliant. He gets proper angry, he argues with humans, he's got an incredible voice, he's had fantastic lines and he fights like an absolute mother****er. And the only reason the Dinobots are along for the ride is so he can punch a charging one in the face.

Cliffjumper
2014-06-18, 10:59 PM
Also avoided spoilers for the most part aside from the trailers and perusing a few toy pictures (which, TBH, aren't really much of a guide - Sideways came out in the first wave of ROTF figs for example).

Bay (and/or his screenwriters, though mainly Bay as screenwriters often tend to only have a vague input in making films) has taken Prime in a fresh direction (Bee too). It might not be to anyone's taste but compared to the recent alternative of Furman sending him through the same cycle of self-doubt through to redemption only to start him off at the bottom again it's been a breath of fresh air.

Highly suspect the Dinobots will be non-verbal. There's a fair precedent for TFs which can't do much more than growl across all three films.

As for the rest of the cast, it'd be nice if Sideswipe, Ratchet, Dino and the Wreckers were in it if only to be killed off but I'm not holding my breath after Bay resisted the cheap kudos of killing off Skidz and Mudflap on-screen. I'd prefer closure to another batch of disappearances certainly, and it'd add a bit more to the hunted angle than some new guy getting it.

I'm always very conflicted about the non-Prime/Bee guys. The TF fan in me would like to see more of them in the films and get a bit more depth but I'm not sure it'd actually work in an action film. Action films tend to have a bare handful of prominent guys and the rest get a bit of a quirk or a cool line at best; I think the TF series has done well to give the likes of Bonecrusher, Sideswipe, Frenzy, Dino, Que, the Wreckers, Ratchet etc. anything even halfway memorable to do when you compare them to the equivalent guys in, say, The Dirty Dozen.

The first thing most action films do is wipe out about seventy-five percent of the good guys so we're left with our 2-3 main stars. Even in Seven Samurai only about three of them get a genuine personality, the rest being defined by broad archetypes in the same way Ironhide is gun-guy and Que in science-guy.

And I don't think the franchise would really work as anything other than an action film. It drives me mad when you see people say "oh, it should be like this comic series or computer game where it's just Transformers on Cybertron with no humans", whereas to me the wonder of the live action stuff is the Transformers interacting with the real world seamlessly - Lennox hammering on Ironhide's bonnet, Blackout knocking the shit out of a SOCCENT base, Dino skidding down a freeway.

Lovely stuff.

Warcry
2014-06-19, 02:33 AM
As for the rest of the cast, it'd be nice if Sideswipe, Ratchet, Dino and the Wreckers were in it if only to be killed off but I'm not holding my breath after Bay resisted the cheap kudos of killing off Skidz and Mudflap on-screen. I'd prefer closure to another batch of disappearances certainly, and it'd add a bit more to the hunted angle than some new guy getting it.
Based on the trailers I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised to find that a lot of the previous films' spearcarriers might have been killed off between DOTM and AoE as part of the "hunting Transformers" angle.

And I don't think the franchise would really work as anything other than an action film. It drives me mad when you see people say "oh, it should be like this comic series or computer game where it's just Transformers on Cybertron with no humans", whereas to me the wonder of the live action stuff is the Transformers interacting with the real world seamlessly - Lennox hammering on Ironhide's bonnet, Blackout knocking the shit out of a SOCCENT base, Dino skidding down a freeway.
Yeah, the TF films might rely too heavily on explosions and generic action movie tropes, but the way to improve them is not by aping something that was successful in a totally different medium (also the TF games I've played are no better than the worst of the movies, so there's that going against the idea as well). Do that and you'll end up with something that's just as bad as ROTF, because what's fun on a comic page would be dreadfully boring in screen (and vice versa usually).

And I agree that a big top selling point is just how real the Transformers look on screen and how well they interact with the human cast and the background. Most of the time they don't look like CGI that's been inserted after the fact, they look like Bay actually built a bunch of giant robots and started filming them. There are a lot of things I'd change about the movies if I could, but this is one thing they got absolutely spot on.

inflatable dalek
2014-06-19, 03:03 PM
On the Dinobots speaking...

Was I mistaken in reading Greg Berger was onboard? Or was that for one of the computer games?

Fully agreed that for the films to qualify as live action they need to mostly take place in the "Real" world. Though I do think there could be an avenue worth exploring in placing the McGuffin out of the solar system for a change to allow for a middle act adventure on a proper other planet, I think ILM could do some very lovely stuff there and it could create a nice visual change of pace.

My main worry about this one is, based on the trailers, there's a general feeling of same old same old about it bar the Dinobots (not just from Transformers films either, I think Man of Steel may have been a tipping point in people getting bored of cities getting smashed up in summer blockbusters).

The PS3 KILLeR
2014-06-20, 03:53 AM
On the Dinobots speaking...

Was I mistaken in reading Greg Berger was onboard? Or was that for one of the computer games?

Fully agreed that for the films to qualify as live action they need to mostly take place in the "Real" world. Though I do think there could be an avenue worth exploring in placing the McGuffin out of the solar system for a change to allow for a middle act adventure on a proper other planet, I think ILM could do some very lovely stuff there and it could create a nice visual change of pace.

My main worry about this one is, based on the trailers, there's a general feeling of same old same old about it bar the Dinobots (not just from Transformers films either, I think Man of Steel may have been a tipping point in people getting bored of cities getting smashed up in summer blockbusters).

I haven't heard anything about your spoiler. Like not one peep. If it is true...

and he speaks like he did in FOC then I am 100% behind that!

We didn't even know if the Dinobots transformed or not until one of the recent TV spots.

I'm impressed with how the trailers haven't given away too much, yet we've had over 30 now counting TV spots and international trailers. Unlike The Amazing Spider-Man 2... which pretty much gave away EVERYTHING in the trailers... even the last frame I mean WTF!

Is anyone else as pumped for this movie as I am? It just seems like Bay wants to make one for the fans before he goes, and possibly set up a bigger storyline a la The Avengers. I mean I was sold at Dinobots and the fact we won't hear Shia scream "BUMBLEBEE!!!" at the top of his lungs again, but this other stuff seems like icing on the cake.

Stuff that's kinda spoilerish from some trailers.
We get actual Autobot Character development! Let's hope it's not all in the trailer but you don't just hire John effin Goodman for a few lines!

Also Lockdown looks like he could be a good villain! No matter what you think of the first 3 films, you have to agree that Megatron never got his time to shine, we've honestly never had a good Villain! Megatron came in the 3rd act in 1, The Fallen BARELY had a part in 2, and Megatron and sentinel split the time in 3 and half the movie sentinel was good. We've honestly never had a good villain in these movies and I think Lockdown could finally be one.

Also having all the dinobots being ridden by someone is a bit weird. Optimus on Grimlock, Drift on Slug, Crosshairs on Scorn, and Bumblebee on Strafe. I don't know it just doesn't sit right with me. Optimus riding Grimlock is cool but why does everyone else need to, they've all essentially been reduced to mounts... just, yeah. :|

But yeah i can't wait to see the early Thursday screening at my local theatre next week, I went in Dark of The Moon expecting nothing and was surprised. So let's hope this isn't like Revenge of the Fallen, where coming out of the theater is awesome because all you remember is the good parts and when you watch it on Blu Ray you notice the plot holes and just how bad it is. Fingers Crossed this one is good.

Clay
2014-06-22, 08:20 PM
Review from Variety, little to no spoilers. (http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/film-review-transformers-age-of-extinction-1201238365/)

It makes it sound like... a Michael Bay Transformer movie. Who would have thought?

Clay
2014-07-16, 09:28 PM
Article on the lackluster sales of movie toys (http://www.takefiveaday.com/2014/07/13/the-state-of-the-toy-business-2014-hey-is-that-a-cliff/) (found from TFW (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-toys-products-30/transformers-age-of-extinction-toyline-underperforming-180720/)).

I may be taking a shot in the dark, but I think overpopulating the shelves with a bunch of foot-tall dolls that don't transform, three different styles of "EASY TO TRANSFORM" assortments, tangential products like Kreons and Constructabots, and finally the "actual" figures... you might be diluting your brand and confusing customers a bit. I know that I have trouble divining out the generations deluxe figures that I want, and I'm a damn internet weirdo adult fan that's supposed to know this stuff.

While I can appreciate the simplification of individual figures, they've grossly complicated the selection process by offering myriads of choice, most of which are Bumblebees and Optimuses. That's an irony, it is.

(also toy sales in general are slumping, blah blah blah)

Denyer
2014-07-16, 10:28 PM
A lot of the toys look nasty and cheap (whilst prices have increased) although the AoE figure plastic actually seems to be good quality if you can get past it being block colour in a lot of areas with few or no paint apps.

Clay
2014-07-17, 01:40 AM
Hmm. Also, could it be possible to just shelve the whole "video game / ipad" excuse for slumping sales as a bogeyman? Home video game systems became popular back in the 1980s... when the franchise first took off. They didn't become an excuse until the 1990s... which were twenty years ago now (ugh!). My seven year old nephew has an inherited ipad, and he spends just as much time with his toys as he does with that. Maybe AOE, taken as a whole, is just not a good offering? That seems kind of obvious... It's been mismanaged, to say the least.

Warcry
2014-07-17, 01:53 AM
I may be taking a shot in the dark, but I think overpopulating the shelves with a bunch of foot-tall dolls that don't transform, three different styles of "EASY TO TRANSFORM" assortments, tangential products like Kreons and Constructabots, and finally the "actual" figures... you might be diluting your brand and confusing customers a bit. I know that I have trouble divining out the generations deluxe figures that I want, and I'm a damn internet weirdo adult fan that's supposed to know this stuff.
They've done a terrible job of differentiating the different sublines for AoE. I can't tell what's what either. There's almost no difference between the packaging for Deluxe and One-Step or Power Battlers or whatever, and I need to look at stuff like the number of transformation steps or recommended age to even be able to guess with some of the stuff. Toys'R'Us and Walmart are no help either, since they stuff the figures wherever there's room instead of trying to differentiate the different assortments.

There are two other huge problems with the line:

1) Almost no bad guys! A lot of kids get bored if their heroes don't have any enemies to bash. There's not much incentive for kids to buy the whole Autobot/Dinobot cast if they have nobody to fight.

2) Way too many toys of the same ten or so characters! There are something like eight different Grimlocks and Primes. Six different Drifts! Four different Strafes! How many times does Hasbro expect to sell the same characters to the same people?

If Hasbro had stuck to one line for older/more experienced TF buyers and one for young kids/newbies, with no more than one version of most characters in each, I think the experiment would have gone over a whole lot better. DOTM proved pretty strongly that the appetite for movie TF merch was on the wane, and scaling back the line for AoE would have been a wise move. Instead, Hasbro doubled down.

[EDIT]Re: iPads, I think a big tipping point was the advent of cheap mobile gaming.

Games have been getting cheaper for decades while the price of toys gets higher and higher. When a video game costs $60, it's a big investment and a kid will probably only get a couple a year. Even when they're in the $20 bin, it's a toss-up between that and a good-sized toy. But a $1 iOS game? That'll occupy as much of little Billy's time as the Bumblebee he was eyeing, and it's way cheaper. Games have been stealing some money and attention from toys for a long time now, but it's only really become a huge thing for the industry since video games started to undercut them on price.

It also bears mentioning that today's parents all grew up playing games, so a lot of them probably don't have the same "put that controller down and go play outside!" aversion to kids sinking time into gaming that a lot of our parents did.

Tantrum
2014-07-17, 03:30 AM
I was confused when I first saw the AoE toys, too. If I hadn't wondered why Strafe was $1 cheaper than the other Dinobots, I would have bought the wrong one. Even then, I had to check on-line to see if a Generations Strafe would be out, and I only knew to do that because I was already familiar with the Generations line, and saw the word Generations on the sides of Scorn and Slug's packaging.

I don't understand the Titan Heroes dolls. They don't transfrom. They're not articulated. They aren't painted more elaborately than other figures. There are flip-change and one-step Transformers for small children who can't handle regular Transformers. The Titan Heroes seem to be utterly without merit. Are they for toddlers? And are there enough toddlers who want Transformers to justify their own line?

The marketing has really hyped Optimus riding Grimlock, but the only toys that can do this are Kre-O, Construct-Bots, and Dino-Sparkers. Of these, only Construct-Bots can transform. You'd think they'd have mini-con Autobots to ride Deluxe Dinobots, but they don't even seem to be doing Legends size figures this time.

I think video games would have more of an effect now than in the 80s and 90s. Back then, kids loved them, but they required a TV and many kids didn't have their own. So, they played with toys while their parents watched TV. Now, kids have their own screen on a device connected to the internet. Being able to surf the web, message your friends and play games on your own device is going to eat up a lot more time than waiting for a turn at the TV.

numbat
2014-07-17, 06:49 AM
At least in the UK AoE Generations are only available at Argos (Leaders only) and Toys R Us (everything except Leaders). That said, TRU mix and match their sticking in the same pegs between those giant fist simple figures and Generations Deluxe. If it takes adult fans ages to work out which is which what hope is there for disinterested staff?

And the lack of Decepticons / bad guys in this line is insane. I bet stats show Autobots sell better on average and that folk are more likely to buy the recognisable characters like Prime and Bumblebee. Step in market researchers and execs and you get a line like this. Just because you're more likely to buy an Autobot doesn't mean that you only want Autobots! Without bad guys there's no game for kids and collectors are likely to be less biased. And just because Prime and Bumblebee sell better doesn't mean anyone wants multiple versions - it just means everyone buys the main characters (once) and then bulks out with different secondary characters.

Bah!

And I do think lack of Generations in main retailers in the UK will damage sales when so many of the new lines look so bad... It's awkward to seek out TRU in Scotland as there are so few stores and big distances between. Plus other thuan hardcore fans, who knows to?

It also bears mentioning that today's parents all grew up playing games, so a lot of them probably don't have the same "put that controller down and go play outside!" aversion to kids sinking time into gaming that a lot of our parents did.

Not me - I already get my 18 week old son out to get close to lizards, bugs, flowers etc. I want him outside as
much as possible. Inside I'd rather he were playing with toys mostly as there's lots of research showing negative effects of too much of any sort of screen time on kids development. I think proper Transformers (ie transforming ones) are probably excellent balance between educational and character toys. They must help with dexterity, manipulation, spatial awareness, 3D modelling etc. Shame my wife hates them!

:swirly:

Blackjack
2014-07-17, 07:02 AM
The two lines confusing people (would it kill to use different packaging?) wouldn't be so bad if there aren't Big Toys for each. A child or a parent would only buy, say, either Generations Leader Bumblebee or RID Leader Bumblebee but not both. And most of the time why bother when there is a dozen other smaller Bumblebees around? And no one in their sane mind would buy, say, both Generations Drift and RID Drift. It's not like the last toylines where it might be difficult to find, say, on-screen characters like Soundwave or Dino or Leadfoot or whoever, but at least toy stores had variations instead of the same 8 to 10 characters repeated across three differing size classes that look exactly the same.

There is a small imprint on the side of the packaging bubble that says 'Generations' or 'Robots in Disguise' but really, with the amount of stuff that toy stores just pile together because they fit on the same peg...

And like Warcry said, there isn't much bad guys around! Both the big bads, Galvatron and especially Lockdown, are only around in wave 2 and wave 2.5 respectively. I don't think we even have a mass-retail Stinger planned, probably something to do with those pesky car licenses. And even Hasbro's usual routine of making vehicles in the show into bad guys like Junkheap (garbage truck KSI drone), Vehicon (Cemetery Wind jeep) and Steeljaw (Lockdown's wolves) are only found in the Kiddie line and not until wave 4 or 5 or whatever. It's got too much of an influx of good guys which wouldn't be so bad if the Dinobots were, like, antiheroes and thus can battle the Autobots, but as it is, well...

Not to mention Kre-O's and Construct-bots being basically the same stuff but in uglier, non-show-accurate looks. Those are definitely going to shelfwarm.

And stuff like the Dinobot chargers... does Hasbro think anyone would want them? I mean, it would be a thing if they painted the Dinobots properly, but they're just a massive chunk of transparent plastic vaguely shaped like dinosaurs.

And those big... cheap-looking statue things. The things I thought were knockoffs but aren't. Whatever the hell they are, they can't be good for sales.

Skyquake87
2014-07-17, 07:33 AM
...all of the above is why I've given AoE a major swerve. The toys look the same amongst the various age ranges, the packaging is cheap, the toys are cheap looking being just colour + black and cost 2 more than the last main retail line Prime - and I thought that was expensive. These haven't a hope of attracting my interest at their current price points, if at all.

Lack of Decepticons isn't exclusive to AoE either. The fan orientated Generations line has been mainly Autobots. Only FoC has had a favourable showing of bad guys, which is a shame, as a lot of those figures are as terrible in their own way as the AoE figures.

Tantrum
2014-07-20, 08:34 PM
When Alternators were first coming out, I remember reading that villians don't sell as well as heroes in Japan, which was why Autobots were dominating that line up. Hasbro released a black Sunstreaker as Dead End since there weren't many Decepticons planned. The few AoE Decepticons being in later waves might be for the same reason.

How many different sub-lines are there? I can think of 8, but I may have missed some.
* Titan Heroes
* Dino Sparkers
* One-Step Deluxes
* Power Battlers
* Flip/Smash-and-Change Voyagers
* Generations
* Kre-O
* Construct-Bots

Even then, you can multiple figures of the same character within a line. There's two paint schemes for Bumblebee, a Generations Drift for each alt mode, and Dinobot Custom Kreons in addition to the larger builds. It's not only confusing, but if an unpopular sub-line shelfwarms, retailers might not order the next wave of any toys, since their shelves are still full of Transformers.

Plus, designing all those versions of each character meant the design team had less time to spend on each one. The Deluxe Lockdown is just going to have a gun that connects to the head. Maybe the design team could have figured out a way to have the face gun transform out of the figure if they didn't have to design and sculpt half a dozen Strafes.

I'm guessing the lines of kiddie-figs were in response to complaints about previous movie line toys being too complicated for younger children. But, the Generations AoE toys I own are already simpler than the ROTF toys. This is a good thing, since some of those ROTF toys were too complicated to be fun. But, they seem to have solved this problem more times than necessary.