PDA

View Full Version : [Prime] S02E21 Alpha, Omega

Jaynz
2012-09-29, 04:17 AM
*sigh*

Trying to do this without too many spoilers.

This episode was a dramatic let-down in most respects, particularly after one of the best episodes of Transformers thus far. Alpha, Omega's a bit too formulaic and the pacing is really off in the beginning of the story. After that it's a prolonged battle ripped right out of Inuyasha, along with a 'surprise' which totally wasn't.

Worst, the episode totally trashes the point of the previous episode and sets us up for yet another Pokemon quest. Yes, we're repeating the plot and deux ex machina of Transformers: Cybertron for Season Two's end run... dammit.

On the good side, we do get George Takei as a VA this time, as the voice of Alpha Trion.

Lastly, and this will make the wiki's head explode, the story is now set within, or at least tied-to, the Beast Wars universe... so it looks like having Skir and Marty back wasn't coincidence, nor was the 'Beast Hunters' line coming a year from now...

Knightdramon
2012-09-30, 10:10 AM
*sigh*

Lastly, and this will make the wiki's head explode, the story is now set within, or at least tied-to, the Beast Wars universe... so it looks like having Skir and Marty back wasn't coincidence, nor was the 'Beast Hunters' line coming a year from now...

How?

Agree on the other aspects though; let down of an episode if there ever was one. Pretty funny that the end-all relic, the starsaber, broke in its maiden battle. WTF? How come when both Prime and Megatron are on an equal level, Prime always gets trashed?

I kind of got confused about the revitalizing of Cybertron...Arcee and the rest of them speak of the planet as it's not completely DEAD and devoid of any cybertronians bar the occasional Insecticon.

Blackjack
2012-09-30, 12:40 PM
Like what has been said, a let-down after the awesomeness of last episode. Probably the only good bits from this episode would be Alpha Trion's funky George Takei voice, as well as Megatron chopping off some random Prime's arm to bypass the 'only a Prime can use this' thing.

The Star Saber breaking, Smokescreen suddenly not being dead... well, the episode is way too formulaic.

Not sure if I mind them borrowing aspects out of Cybertron. This is supposed to be a combination of all franchises, and the Omega Key Lock whatever would actually work well as a plot device... shame that we're going to see another four-parter where we hunt down relics again, which is probably going to grate.

Agree with Knightdramon. How does it tie to Beast Wars?

Jaynz
2012-09-30, 01:22 PM
How?

The Covenant of Primus, though it's used in Exodus, it's referencing its use from Beast Wars, end of season three. Though I should be a little skittish on that, considering the questionable continuity in this episode anyway...

I kind of got confused about the revitalizing of Cybertron...Arcee and the rest of them speak of the planet as it's not completely DEAD and devoid of any cybertronians bar the occasional Insecticon.

That was seriously strange, since we've been explicitly told that Cybertron is dead and now filled with undead as well. A tourist-spot it ain't these days. Ratchet had it right, even if they're able to regenerate Cybertron, someone's going to have to do a lot of rebuilding to get it going again... I did like that Smokescreen wasn't exactly eager to go back...

Blackjack
2012-09-30, 02:03 PM
The Covenant of Primus, though it's used in Exodus, it's referencing its use from Beast Wars, end of season three. Though I should be a little skittish on that, considering the questionable continuity in this episode anyway...

Eh, TF: Prime has been reusing things from all other continuities since episode one, so a simple reference to the Covenant of Primus doesn't really make TF: Prime in continuity with Beast Wars.

Might was well as say that Prime is in continuity with Beast Machines because the Spark Extractor appeared, or that it is in continuity with Cybertron because the Omega Cyber Keys exist. Or that, say, Animated is in continuity with Beast Wars because the Stasis Pods and Protoforms are the same.

Jaynz
2012-09-30, 02:07 PM
Eh, TF: Prime has been reusing things from all other continuities since episode one, so a simple reference to the Covenant of Primus doesn't really make TF: Prime in continuity with Beast Wars.

It's more what they explicitly say about it (from A3's dialog) than the fact it was mentioned. But, as I already said, this episode is pretty bad about continuity... Arcee talking about Cybertron in tones that make no sense and as if she hadn't been there recently... It's like someone hadn't watched the show before writing the episode.

Blackjack
2012-09-30, 02:16 PM
Mmm, again, it's no different from the Matrix having extremely similar properties across different series.

Unless I missed something, I thought the Autobots were talking about Cybertron after they revitalize/rebuild it once they find the Omega Cyber Key plot devices? They were planning to revitalize Cybertron, i.e. make it inhabitable again, with the Omega Keys, and were simply being hopeful that it would return Cybertron to its former state.

Skyquake87
2012-10-03, 08:28 AM
A bit of a mindlessly entertaining episode. But a quest on top of a quest is a quest too far for me. I do get tired of US TV tropes, if its not a quest for some ancient powerful doohicky, then its an emotional journey of a struggle over impossible odds. Can't say I'm that fond of silly anime style powerful flashy power- blast punch ups in which the surrounding area is devastatated but the two opponents largely end the fight unscathed. i know there's all kinds of tedium about showing violence in kids shows and blah blah blah, but flashy light shows are just dull. Mostly, I am just a bit bored with this artifact quest. Despite Alpha Trions doomy warnings (he's a big help isn't he - I have seen some things but not things and have a feeling about...something. Yeah, cheers for that. I bet he's a 'psychic' by trade and hoodwinks the emotionally velunerable with other such vague generalisations), what started as a harmless diversion is now dragging the season down as it doesn't feel like there's an end in sight...and surely there must be as aren't most US cartoon / TV seasons 22 episodes long...?

Jaynz
2012-10-03, 12:56 PM
26 episodes, typically, but this isn't a hard and fast rule. The idea is to get 5 blocks of 13 episodes for syndication, with anything past that as 'gravy' for the syndication deal.