PDA

View Full Version : Fall of Cybertron releases discussion [was: FoC Grimlock]

Denyer
2012-10-29, 10:54 PM
Anyone else looking forward to Fall of Cybertron Grimlock?

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/07/you-didnt-think-fall-of-cybertron-would-come-out-without-a-grimlock-toy-did-you/

The proportions suffer, like the Animated one, but it seems to be a familiar and decent transformation scheme. Even a bit Hmb3 (http://www.ggaub.com/tf/fanart/hb.html)-esque, for anyone who was online in the late nineties.

Cliffjumper
2012-10-29, 11:00 PM
You realise it's going to be about the size of a Throttlebot and the chest is going to be made of baked earwax, right?

Despite warnings I was gobsmacked by how diddy the FOC figures are. Op's actually pretty sexy but I'm not paying 15 quid or something for a bloody Scout figure. Deluxe means ten inches tall and 50% diecast, for ****'s sake.

Knightdramon
2012-10-29, 11:03 PM
Not really, like Soundwave [voyager] and Blaster, he seems to be built around a chest gimmick or something close to that, a light up feature if I'm correct, which grants him odd proportions.

Haven't played the game yet, so maybe all that will change once I do, but for the moment all the Grimlock I'll ever need is on my shelf as Masterpiece Grimlock.

Denyer
2012-10-29, 11:05 PM
I'm counting the potential downsizing as a plus... something actually around the size of a modern deluxe will fit in with Generations stuff.

Deluxe means ten inches tall
Funny how 80s stuff is mostly larger in folk memory, isn't it?

Cliffjumper
2012-10-29, 11:34 PM
Funny how 80s stuff is mostly larger in folk memory, isn't it?

http://counter-x.net/godaikin/god_marz/index.html
http://counter-x.net/godaikin/dynaman-dx/index.html
http://counter-x.net/godaikin/bio_man-dx/index.html

Them be Deluxes bro.

I get that Deluxe is just something Hasbro arbitrarily slap on to figures because they can't just call them "Normal" anymore and I get the comedy value of some of the names given to other assortments as a result (what does Voyager even mean in relation to size? Or anything else? When did Brawl lead anything? When was Goldbug assigned legendary status? Does Guzzle command anything but belly-laughs directed at his weird limbs?) but it still burns me up inside that the term no longer means "bigger and better than anything else we've got in the line".

I'm counting the potential downsizing as a plus... something actually around the size of a modern deluxe will fit in with Generations stuff.

He'll come up to Sideswipe's shoulder, max.

tahukanuva
2012-10-29, 11:51 PM
I want one.

Soundwave-what-shoots-dudes-out-of-chest appeals, too.

Warcry
2012-10-30, 01:09 AM
I get that Deluxe is just something Hasbro arbitrarily slap on to figures because they can't just call them "Normal" anymore and I get the comedy value of some of the names given to other assortments as a result (what does Voyager even mean in relation to size? Or anything else? When did Brawl lead anything? When was Goldbug assigned legendary status? Does Guzzle command anything but belly-laughs directed at his weird limbs?) but it still burns me up inside that the term no longer means "bigger and better than anything else we've got in the line".
The assortment names are totally mental these days, yeah. Keeping Deluxe around as a "legacy title" sort of thing is just weird, and has been pretty much since they renamed "Basics" into "Scouts". I guess you could argue that they're Deluxe compared to the Cyberverse stuff, but I doubt Hasbro's thought it through even that much.

I really miss the Beast Wars days when size classes actually made sense. Basic --> Deluxe --> Mega --> Ultra had a certain logical flow to it that no other line has ever come close to. I don't know why they abandoned that after RiD. I mean, what does "Voyager" or a "Supercon" or "Combat Class" tell us about the toys in that class? Sweet bugger all, that's what.

He'll come up to Sideswipe's shoulder, max.
Nah, he's billed as a Voyager so I'm sure he'll be almost as tall as a Deluxe from the Unicron Trilogy. ;)

Sades
2012-10-30, 03:17 AM
Ahhh, Hmb3! :o /remembers

I'm pretty easy when it comes to toys. Pretty much anything involving dinosaurs/Dinobots = gimme.

Unless it's too expensive for me at the time. Then I pick it up from the shelf, look at it for a few moments and tell myself I'll get it next time, then repeat until the toy is no longer available in the store. I save a lot of money buying toys that way!

Skyquake87
2012-10-30, 07:43 AM
Hmm. Well,its an improvement over his Classics toy, but I dunno. Does the head look a bit small in beast mode? I'm not sure about the Popeye proportions in robot mode either. I think I'll need to see one on a shelf (assuming he's not a third or fourth wave toy that's unlikely to make it to the UK) before making a proper judgement.

I like my FoC Shockwave, despite him being both tiny and having a crappy alt mode (if you can even call it that) and I think the aesthetic is nice overall, but not all the video game transitions to plastic have been of huge appeal to me. I gave the previous WFC toys a miss because they were surprisingly ugly and both Shockwave's wave mates FoC Jazz and Optimus look pretty poor to me.

The hit rate of good toys for these sort of designs seems...patchy.

inflatable dalek
2012-10-30, 09:14 AM
I just can't deal with a Grimlock who accurately adopts the posture of a real T-Rex. Scientific accuracy be damned, he should have a nice straight back.

Denyer
2012-11-23, 10:12 PM
both Shockwave's wave mates FoC Jazz and Optimus look pretty poor to me.

The hit rate of good toys for these sort of designs seems...patchy.

Just picked up Optimus in a local UK TRU and I rather like him (only Fall of Cybertron figure in the store as far as I could see) -- chest is a little thin, but wider would compromise the vehicle mode. The size differential with earlier Classics/Generations Deluxes is very noticeable, particularly with aforementioned width... reminds me of Robotmasters Convoy.

Other than that, a decent TWW style figure.

Thunderwave
2012-11-23, 10:44 PM
Just picked up Optimus in a local UK TRU and I rather like him (only Fall of Cybertron figure in the store as far as I could see) -- chest is a little thin, but wider would compromise the vehicle mode. The size differential with earlier Classics/Generations Deluxes is very noticeable, particularly with aforementioned width... reminds me of Robotmasters Convoy.

Other than that, a decent TWW style figure.

You know, that size is the only thing stopping me from getting him. I like his look, but he's just too damn short. I've seen him put next to the FoC Combatacons and Swindle towers over him, as does Onslaught. Seems...wrong. I'd get him if I found him on sale somewhere cheap, or I was $7 from free shipping at BBTS.

Denyer
2012-11-23, 10:51 PM
It'd bother me if I displayed many things at a time, I think. The plastic's better than the only-partly-opaque finish on RTS Windcharger, which is one plus. In a line with some similarly proportioned Scouts (or whatever the size category is called now) or the minibots-style Legends the mould would be more impressive.

Next to Generations Wheeljack it's a bit of a disaster. The price point is 12.99 over here, which also won't help any.

edit: Plus the angles seem to work best straight on when up on a shelf, otherwise the slope and pot belly (sorry, stylising...) can look a bit odd.

Thunderwave
2012-11-24, 01:42 AM
Next to Generations Wheeljack it's a bit of a disaster. The price point is 12.99 over here, which also won't help any.

We're at about $15usd for him most places. Or were. Prices seem to be dropping slowly back to the $13 range which is more acceptable. The only reason I bought FOC Jazz at all is there was a BOGO 50% off sale and I was getting another figure at the same time and I already had a WfC Prime. He, Jazz that is, also only really works head on because he's pretty hollow from the top down.

I might pick up the Magnus version of FOC Prime, if only because I rather like Magnus as a character.

Skyquake87
2012-11-24, 05:15 AM
Seems a good thread to put in some comments on FoC Bruticus (G2 redecco).

Right, well. An interesting one to qualify this. The individual figures are bigger than FoC Shockers, and getting close to the proper Deluxe size of a few years ago. The gestalt mode is impressively huge (roughly on a par with ye olde Predaking), and the alt modes aren't total wastes of time.

But. The plastics are atrocious. Whilst not feeling of baxed earwax, they do seem to have the weight and consitency of balsa wood. Blast Off is by far the worst, as he seems largely hollow. Brawl i think is a flying tank. I have decided this because he looks like he flies/ hovers as he has no treads or wheels. In his original 1980s toy, he was the bulkiest of the group here, he's the smallest. Vortex is probably the best of the bunch, despite looking like he turns into a fish with rotor blades. Swindle is decent, but his shoulders never seem to be in the right place due to the huge slope the front of the vehicle mode gives his body - he also suffers the same 'problems' as Prime Knock Out in so much that he's actually a few sticks of plastic for his overall body covered by huge panels of vehicle to cover this up. Narrow waist and huge lower legs also restrict his articulation/ ability to do decent poses. Onslaught is a bit of a mixed bag. I like the funny looking vehicle mode, but the arms on the robot mode are dreadful, being forcibly pinned to his sides and pvioting out at the elbow, it looks unnatural and uncomfortable. His head doesn't extend far enough out of the body of the vehicle mode either, leaving him looking like Wilfred from the Bash Street Kids. And would it really have been so hard to make the gestalt head properly tuck away? What really does for Onslaught is his size point. Hasbro's persistence in not utilizing the larger Voyager scale for Onslaught really harms the gestalt mode as the torso just looks far too small. There are also better ways of configuring Blast Off into an arm so he doesn't look like a big white banana dangling off Onslaught's shoulder. The gestalt also has no back and the combined weapon just looks rubbish (i strip it back and slap Onslaughts cannons on his back and attach Vortex's swords on it for good measure)

On the plus side, the combination points are a nice new innovation (again, could have done with a few tweaks on the engineering side to make these tuck away on the individual robots) and the gestalt is able to do some decent poses without toppling over. Despite the minimal paint apps, the detailing and daubs that there are are very good too. I've spent most of this week playing with him and I'm not bored of him yet. He's good fun overall, just could, as is the norm these days, have used a bit more care and attention. I'm happy enough with the 50 I paid tax avoiders Amazon though. ten quid a pop for a deluxe seems reasonable enough, i just wish i felt like i had bought something that didn't feel like a third party effort.

HotShot81
2012-11-25, 01:17 AM
Anyone know off hand if it can be pre-ordered?

Denyer
2012-11-25, 09:27 PM
Didn't spot yet on BBTS/TFSource. KapowToys have it (UK based, exchange rate not favourable for US/Canadians.) Since TRU appear to be picking up FoC over here I'm more inclined to see if Grimmy shows up at retail first.

Jaynz
2012-11-26, 12:50 AM
I finally saw the Combaticons in person in the stores today! We've been behind in toys for ages so it's nice to see something new in town. Sadly, they're still outside of my price-range for what you get... and why is now Swindle the big giant of the team?

Skyquake87
2012-11-26, 09:53 AM
I thought the same about Swindle, but then I remembered his 1980s toy is quite um, large in his proportions. I should add I got mine from Amazon.com which seemed to be the cheapest option when I was looking around (roughly June time, i think allowing for time to save up).

I don't know how much the sold separately figures will be, but if its the 13.99 TRU are selling the sawn off likes of Optimus and Jazz, then the box set is the better option, even if you're not made keen on the G2 colours.

The homage packaging on the G2 set is awesome too, I should add. And its not one of those stupid wedge shaped boxed Hasbro are fond of these sorts of things. Its a nice square shaped one that opens with senisble flaps :)

Jaynz
2012-11-26, 05:56 PM
I thought the same about Swindle, but then I remembered his 1980s toy is quite um, large in his proportions.

Swindle is pretty much standard Scramble-Limb-Size in robot mode for G1/G2. That's pretty much to be expected, though... I was surprised that the FOC version robot mode is just so big when compared to Prime, Brawl, and Onslaught!

The price is just hard to justify... saying this after getting my girls a Wii U for Christmas, mind you.. $75 for Bruticus is pretty iffy when there are a lot of other things to get done at present.

ganon578
2012-11-26, 06:00 PM
I just saw some of the Combaticons in store too. I still can't get into the color schemes for them; everything just seems way too bright, and Vortex in particular looks like neon vomit. I really want to like them, but I just can't seem to do it. Maybe Brawl or Swindle will be the only ones I will consider.

I plan on picking up Grimlock regardless. I don't mind the Classics one I have, but something about a Voyager sized T-Rex just gets me revved up. And I'll pick up Magnus too, since I would like a decent looking Magnus toy in the Deluxe class to sit next to my Hot Rod, Springer, Kup, and Wreck-Gar figs.

Denyer
2012-11-28, 12:32 AM
Brawl's a bit crap, really, but has a certain charm (rather like the original.) As usual the toy looks like a knock-off compared to the airbrushed product photo and rather nice artwork. (Not to mention the SDCC/online more muted colours (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Brawl_(Prime)#Toys) release.)

The feet are particularly poor -- he's top heavy but there doesn't seem to be anything to lock them in place, so you're stuck leaning him against things. The hollow forearms and hoop fists are very noticeable. Didn't do well in the limb department at all. Like Optimus the design is decidedly skinny... but he's also taller than the Autobot leader, which should never happen.

Plus points are that he works reasonably well as an update of AM Charger, and a black wash should bring out the detail.

However, I think that's enough dipping into FoC for me for a while.

ganon578
2012-11-28, 05:57 PM
Brawl's a bit crap, really, but has a certain charm (rather like the original.) As usual the toy looks like a knock-off compared to the airbrushed product photo and rather nice artwork. (Not to mention the SDCC/online more muted colours (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Brawl_(Prime)#Toys) release.)

The feet are particularly poor -- he's top heavy but there doesn't seem to be anything to lock them in place, so you're stuck leaning him against things. The hollow forearms and hoop fists are very noticeable. Didn't do well in the limb department at all. Like Optimus the design is decidedly skinny... but he's also taller than the Autobot leader, which should never happen.

Plus points are that he works reasonably well as an update of AM Charger, and a black wash should bring out the detail.

However, I think that's enough dipping into FoC for me for a while.

I think all of that made me decide to just keep my $15, or just use only $10 if I can get my hands on the TRU Scout Class Brawl. Always wanted to get a Breacher when he was out and never did anyways, so that might be the way I will go. This is all dependent upon me having extra money I don't already know what to do with. :)

Denyer
2012-12-15, 07:05 PM
Looks better than Swindle, anyway... TRU have now officially put their Fall of Cybertron figures out (Optimus, Jazz, Bruticus members) and the plain saturated yellow/black looks like a KO.

Onslaught's a bit better, and looking ahead I think the Starscream mould is okay but the final result looks as dodgy as what we've seen so far.

It's not that the sculpts are bad, but they'd be better off raising the price from 12.99 to an even fifteen, sticking an accessory or two in, fixing minor issues and not having them look like shit.

Thunderwave
2012-12-15, 08:09 PM
Looks better than Swindle, anyway... TRU have now officially put their Fall of Cybertron figures out (Optimus, Jazz, Bruticus members) and the plain saturated yellow/black looks like a KO.

Onslaught's a bit better, and looking ahead I think the Starscream mould is okay but the final result looks as dodgy as what we've seen so far.

It's not that the sculpts are bad, but they'd be better off raising the price from 12.99 to an even fifteen, sticking an accessory or two in, fixing minor issues and not having them look like shit.

The later Wave 3 guys come with accessories. Magnus has a gun and a sword that are huge, Sideswipe comes with a redonkulus Path Blaster, Kickback has a huge disc launcher. Seems things have settled down, cost wise, and we might even see a return to larger figures again.

The Reverend
2012-12-29, 08:55 PM
I saw the Combaticons (all of them) in a Target yesterday. Didn't get any of them but I did look at them. I did get FoC Soundwave from TRU though.

Jaynz
2012-12-30, 02:47 PM
I saw the Combaticons (all of them) in a Target yesterday. Didn't get any of them but I did look at them. I did get FoC Soundwave from TRU though.

The deluxes for FOC are pretty much all gone in my area (not that we had that many of them in the first place), aside from a spare Prime or two lying around. TRU had a few of the discs left (so I snagged Ratbat and Frenzy as a freebie).. but also has about 200 MechTech movie deluxes which are never ever going to move. I've got the feeling that if I'm going to see any new figures in the next four months, I'm going to have to order online.

Thunderwave
2013-01-11, 06:27 PM
http://tfsource.com/products/view/product_id/6189 Called it.

Denyer
2013-01-11, 06:35 PM
That works pretty well.

Thunderwave
2013-01-11, 06:43 PM
That works pretty well.

When the alternate head on Scourge's instructions came out I said I thought it looked like IDWs Senator Ratbat before his coming to Earth. I'm actually kinda surprised I was right that it was going to be Ratbat. If Hasbro doesn't release it I'm going to have to get the Takara version.

Denyer
2013-01-12, 08:45 PM
Anyone seen (or know when might be appearing) Starscream or Magnus in the UK?

Denyer
2013-06-10, 10:39 PM
Takara takes a stab at Grimlock...

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/inhand-images-takara-tomy-transformers-generations-tg19-grimlock/27480/

Bit too much metallic paint with the gold if you ask me.