PDA

View Full Version : So - Masterpiece the end of an era?

another tf fan
2012-11-04, 07:23 AM
I'm a transformers collector.

I'm a transformers fan.

I like G1, I like neo-G1. Classics etc.

I also like new takes on transformers, animated, movie, prime etc.

Yet the toy collector in me has been waiting a lifetime for the masterpiece line as it exists now, and I couldn't be more satisfied.

I have many masterpiece toys and the Jump off the screen look is everything I could ask for.

I could very well close out collecting as a masterpiece guy. If I could get MP versions of every 84-86 g1 cartoon toy I could die a happy man.

What about you?

Knightdramon
2012-11-04, 07:32 AM
It sounds as if you're dissapointed with the line in your thread title...:lol:

As a tf fan, I could easily settle and clear any G1 love with MP if they venture deeper into the G1 cars line.

Let's not forget, though, that two years ago the definitive masterpiece versions of Optimus Prime and Starscream were MP04 and a white MP03. With that being said, takara has proven that they can't\won't let the line slide without an update\remakes down the road.

Which just proves that they won't stop. "Full g1 cast in MP form? Cool let's remake them again!"

Addl
2012-11-05, 11:09 AM
I am jealous of anyone owning the mp toys.

Too bad that I continued my collection when RiD was out and Armada came... So I bought a bunch of (in mho) now ugly and worthless tfs.

I quit again with Energon and missed the MP and most Alternators.

Now with the move to china I got interested again, only to find I missed classics and generations... And most stuff is movie crap or Prime.

... I don't have space to stack them anyway here.

When I go back home, I plan on selling everything non G1 (or pre G1) and buying instead MP, although at collector's prices then, but that is the way it will be.

Summerhayes
2012-11-05, 03:08 PM
Apart from Optimus, I haven't been that impressed by Masterpiece. Don't get me wrong, there are some great toys, but on the whole they're brittle and overcomplicated. One day, we might get a "perfect" line of G1 characters, but I don't think they're there yet.

numbat
2012-11-05, 03:48 PM
I have MP-04 Convoy and MP-05 Megatron. I really love Convoy, while Megatron has dropped in favour due to the massive QC issues and increasingly loose joints and rusting.

I was terrified by the massive issues Rodimus seemed to have - that made me reluctant to order Masterpiece figures. It's such a large amount of money to drop on something that may be hit or miss QC wise.

I have ordered Soundwave and his cassettes, as well as Sideswipe, and look forward to seeing how they match up.

I am considering picking up the most recent Starscream... Maybe I'll get round to it by Christmas.

How does the new Convoy compare to the original? Is there actually an improvement? Are they significantly different? I'm assuming there's no diecast there?

Frankly, I am shocked by how much Masterpiece figures cost now compared to the older ones at release (and they are smaller, I gather). But maybe that's just a problem for us folks importing? Are the prices significantly more in Japan now?

another tf fan
2012-11-05, 05:12 PM
@Numbat - the new MP prime is considerably shorter. He's mostly plastic and has a vastly superior truck mode.

That all said, the original MP Prime looks more impressive as a one off shelf piece.

numbat
2012-11-05, 05:16 PM
@Numbat - the new MP prime is considerably shorter. He's mostly plastic and has a vastly superior truck mode.

That all said, the original MP Prime looks more impressive as a one off shelf piece.
A one-off shelf piece is more or less what he is, so I think I'll stick with him for now. As much as Megatron peeves me, they display well together too.

Denyer
2012-11-05, 06:36 PM
What about you?
They're pricing themselves out of the market somewhat... it's less a case of not being able to afford 'em, and more that it's harder to justify, even if I don't buy many bits of plastic on the whole. They aren't really value for money in any sense of the term.

So... Sideswipe's nice, but probably worth people waiting on a Western release, and I'll pick up Soundwave if released in the US/UK.

Knightdramon
2012-11-05, 10:51 PM
The prices are a result of a weak exchange rate and a predetermined mindset that us folks have about size class pricepoints.

Compared to other high end collectible lines, the [japanese] MP line is actually quite affordable. Compare it to yamato's 1/60 macross line, bandai's soul of chogokin or hot toys' movie masterpiece line.

The "set" size for new masterpieces is about the size of an MP Seeker, but that's just robot mode height. There's trailers when available [Rodimus and Convoy] plus more accessories [Soundwave has a crap ton of accessories]. The cassete two packs are around 3000 yen each, pretty much peanuts compared to Convoy's or Megatron's original 10.000 yen price. Yet with the exchange rate AND double import fee if you're in America or Europe and buy from a vendor there, it's close to 70 USD.

As time goes by and more releases are available, I see it as quite efficient to just drop other TF lines and concentrate on the MP one alone.

Denyer
2012-11-06, 12:14 AM
Domestic release of Grimlock was 60, IIRC -- import was about 100 and worth it. Domestic release of Rodimus... also 60. Less substantial toy with more quality control issues.

Design-wise it doesn't really help that there was a somewhat better and more detailed (IMO) unofficial SW sculpt (http://www.collecticon.org/2012/06/masterpiece-soundwave-puts-the-nail-in-the-coffin-for-knock-off-acoustic-wave/) that captured more of the comics feel doing the rounds way back when. Where Grimmy was toy-inspired and lines up more with the original seeker and Prime moulds, the trend now seems to be a bit more cartoony and just not terribly interesting.

Maybe future Autobot cars will be interesting or they'll do more Dinobots. There does seem to be more inclination to saturate the market and get more moulds out there.

Knightdramon
2012-11-06, 07:59 PM
Domestic release of Grimlock was 60, IIRC -- import was about 100 and worth it. Domestic release of Rodimus... also 60. Less substantial toy with more quality control issues.

That's more or less my point. They weren't designed to be sold at the same price range. Rodimus is without a very vital accessory for the toy, his big trailer. Grimlock is more or less complete even without his serving apron and drinks.

Denyer
2012-11-06, 09:37 PM
Still... if TRU do pick up SW (definitely an "if" -- I could see Hasbro skipping straight to the cars) the RRP should be comfortably under 100.

another tf fan
2012-11-06, 11:46 PM
@ Denyer : more cartoony is what I'm looking for.

The likelihood of SW getting a western release is pretty high, I think.

Denyer
2012-11-07, 09:06 PM
Commercially it makes sense -- Takara still have the option of doing "as seen in G2 with ammo belts and a new insanely grinning head" Sideswipe if they want the diehard comics crowd.

Yeah, considering that Hasbro reissued the original Soundwave mould there's a better than average chance I suppose...

Knightdramon
2012-11-07, 10:08 PM
I think the "more cartoony" crisis has been an issue that started about two years ago with Bandai's Master Grade Gundam RX78 2.0.

The thing was so complex yet the outer shell resembled an outdated 80ies cartoon.

Then Yamato did that with their VF19 Kai, albeit for a 90ies anime. Basic looking and screen accurate bot with a very complex transformation.

And takara followed with MP Hot Rod, and so on.

Seriously, cartoony-like simple looking bots with clever and complex transformations is like...the new die-cast or something.

numbat
2012-11-07, 11:48 PM
I miss die-cast...

another tf fan
2012-11-08, 03:28 AM
MP Hot Rod was a perfect masterpiece in my definition. The look and colors are perfect.