PDA

View Full Version : Since Arcee is a main character now....

calvin_0
2012-11-10, 09:30 AM
Do you think hasbro\takara will release a transforming G1 Arcee when they decide to go back to G1 (regular toy or collector's item)

I really want an official G1 Arcee toy (and i think alot of fans feel the same)

inflatable dalek
2012-11-10, 01:54 PM
Certainly not impossible when Classics return, though I suspect the odds favour a repaint of an existing toy rather than a whole new mould (we should probably be lucky those recent Asian repaints didn't do Wheeljack as her).

Cliffy's our resident Joeologist, but I believe that a few of the big name female GI Joe characters have only managed new toys as part of convention exclusive sets (whilst really minor nobody male characters have been lining up for retail) in their version of Classics because the females don't sell so well. I presume the same would be true for Transformers as well, making an all out original toy less than likely, especially as, unlike the Prime version which at least has full TV support, she's not super popular with fans.

Come to think of it, they didn't even manage all three movie bikes for Arcee did they?

Cliffjumper
2012-11-10, 02:07 PM
Yeh, Elita-1 was delayed and delayed and eventually a Chromia redeco; the Legends figure of the Movie one also barely came out (ditto Animated). Prime is probably the first line to aggressively forefront an Arcee figure, it'll be interesting to see how much it shelf-warms once waves shake out (the ROTF deluxe did, quite badly).

And yep, it's the same for G.I. Joe - only fans are really interested in female characters. From Joe "Classics" the Baroness was only sold in multi-packs, Zarana and Jinx were convention-only, Jaye and Scarlett got 1 or 2 single-pack releases only (one of Scarlett's being Glenda, the most obvious "no-one under 25 is buying this line, let's just ****ing do it!" statement ever), Cover Girl is coming as a Club exclusive. Hasbro know what they're doing too - the Movie Baroness figures can still be found on shelves everywhere long after the rest have gradually slipped away. And none of those characters have ever really had the negative stigma that still dogs Arcee.

Arcee would be something only grown-up fans would want - the line's still largely bought by boys who don't really want a girl toy - especially if it's pink (Prime Arcee - and the ROTF ones - are a lot less obviously gendered than a faithful 1980s-style Generations version would be).

Of course, the leader for selling toys beyond gender is probably Gobots where Crasher and Path Finder stayed in the range for something like four or five years. Probably because no-one felt the need to colour them pink and give them Leia buns, lipstick and feminine curves.

Ironically, things like the Impossible Toys figure and other 3P Arcees have probably killed off the chance because a lot of fans do have what, to them, is a G1 Arcee and have probably removed the mystique to some extent. They're pitching to the same people Hasbro would with this one (same for, say, Impactor or Reflector). Her main chance would have been for Fun Pub or similar to somehow scrape together the pennies to go for a mould; they'd only do that if success was guaranteed.

Thunderwave
2012-11-10, 05:39 PM
Yeh, Elita-1 was delayed and delayed and eventually a Chromia redeco; the Legends figure of the Movie one also barely came out (ditto Animated). Prime is probably the first line to aggressively forefront an Arcee figure, it'll be interesting to see how much it shelf-warms once waves shake out (the ROTF deluxe did, quite badly).

As of right now, Ratchet and Wheeljack are warming more then Arcee, at least around here. Even with the FE toys Starscream hangs around longer then Arcee does. Perhaps by not making her pink and giving her a strong characterization she's selling better then a toy of Daniel's Mom would?

Also, to be fair, ROTF Arcee was a bunch of garbage. On screen she was confusing and in plastic she was a mess. Does anyone remember how TF:TM Arcee sold? Or Animated? I recall, when I worked in a TRU, that Arcee was actually pretty sought after by kids (even though my store never even got her in).

Denyer
2012-11-10, 06:02 PM
Wouldn't say it's out of the question -- the character's becoming common in other lines, and a lot of classics/generations/RTS moulds have already been done.

Warcry
2012-11-10, 06:05 PM
As of right now, Ratchet and Wheeljack are warming more then Arcee, at least around here. Even with the FE toys Starscream hangs around longer then Arcee does. Perhaps by not making her pink and giving her a strong characterization she's selling better then a toy of Daniel's Mom would?
FE Arcee seemed to go pretty quickly here, as well. The fact that she's a proper character with a decent colour scheme is probably a big factor in that, like you say. Honestly, I wonder how much the "ick, girls!" factor really comes into play with Transformers. Female Transformers honestly don't seem to have any better odds of shelfwarming than the male characters do, from my experience, other than the ones that Hasbro paint hot pink (and, honestly...paint Bumblebee hot pink and kids won't want him either). Part of that is probably because they're robots, and part of it because if the character has a tasteful colour scheme most adults buying toys for kids won't be able to tell if it's female or not.

Airazor and the non-Transmetal Blackarachnia certainly weren't the notorious shelfwarmers of the Beast Wars days, like you'd expect if boys shied away from them. That "honour" belonged mostly to male characters: Drill Bit, Transquito, Inferno, Scavenger and Optimus Minor being the worst, IIRC. You do hear some stories about Transmetal II Blackarachnia hanging around for a long time, but she was also a space hooker wearing a bikini.

I don't remember stores having any problems getting rid of Strika or Cybertron Override either, whereas stuff like Energon Arcee and her more girly redecos always seemed to stick around a lot longer.

[EDIT]Er...to address the actual question, I do think a G1 Arcee toy is possible, but because of her colours and stereotypically girly design I think it would probably have trouble selling, unlike the more subdued Prime character.

Cliffjumper
2012-11-10, 06:09 PM
The Animated one was, IIRC, pretty hard to find from the start which always amplifies demand. The '07 one probably did serious business but then just about everything 07 did (at least in America where the wave system works properly and Camshaft doesn't get to fill entire stores).

And yeh, I doubt Prime Arcee will be a warmer unless they stuff her in another wave or something daft. But yeh, not making her a whiny bitch helps a lot.

I'm trying to gauge how objectively female the figure would be if I had no idea who Arcee was... It's tricky but, especially coming off the likes of Animated Blurr I don't think it really screams 'girl!'
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Image:PrimeRID-ArceeDeluxe.jpg
It is curious that Hasbro dropped the pink/purple from the scheme for the main release, isn't it?

As it is I don't think even Prime Arcee being a big break-out character would be enough to make a Classics G1 Arcee sellable. I mean, even crazy stuff like Straxus isn't a radical departure from what's around it - however much of a mad fan homage he is he's also just a beefy evil looking Decepticon toy for the kids.

Cliffjumper
2012-11-10, 06:19 PM
I don't remember stores having any problems getting rid of Strika or Cybertron Override either, whereas stuff like Energon Arcee and her more girly redecos always seemed to stick around a lot longer.

Mmm - the key is that their toys and even their animated selves were pretty unisex, cf. Gobots. Especially Strika, where it looks like Mainframe/Bob Skir just doing it at random without checking with anyone at Hasbro regardless of the actual process.

On the other hand for G1 Arcee, Japan seems a bit more hot to trot for the idea in general - they did the Arcee SCF initially independently, brought out the BT, add pink to most of her various toys and so on. So it's possible TT might go for it; depends who calls the shots (I'm thinking Hasbro, though, because TT wouldn't have done Straxus or Thunderwing... Or anyone who's not Convoy).

tl;dr I agree a toy being female isn't necessarily a sales-killer, but making one pink which turns into a robot modelled on a Barbie doll with about the same general personality (obviously not the one from Toy Story 3, mind) probably wouldn't be smart.

My wife collects Barbie and suffers from the same problem inverted - i.e. in any one year there are multiple versions of Barbie and her various female friends and only a couple of Kens because only adult fans and collectors care about balancing out the genders of their dolls in a semi-realistic fashion.

calvin_0
2012-11-11, 01:15 PM

well to be fair, main problem with ROTF Arcee is mainly because of its design. i mean, it look like a burn victim in the movie. i like Arcee every since i'm a kid and i hated bayformer Arcee.

things like the Impossible Toys figure and other 3P Arcees have probably killed off the chance because a lot of fans do have what, to them, is a G1 Arcee and have probably removed the mystique to some extent.

well i think the high demand in 3rd parties G1 Arcee would be the best proof to hasbro\takara that G1 Arcee would sell, they dont have to make it as a regular toy. they could make it a MP grade toy.

but i think even as regular toy, G1 Arcee would still sell. i mean look at Animated Arcee. she spend most of her time in the series being a brain dead puppet and yet her toy is a hot item, all because she look like G1 Arcee.

but i agree that most people who would buy Arcee are most likely growth fans, but she could win some of the boys over in prime mainly because they make her look pretty cool, an area that Arcee never really shine that well in the fast.

i really hope that one day i could own an official G1 Arcee.

Cliffjumper
2012-11-11, 02:13 PM
well to be fair, main problem with ROTF Arcee is mainly because of its design. i mean, it look like a burn victim in the movie. i like Arcee every since i'm a kid and i hated bayformer Arcee.

The live action aesthetic didn't seem to stop everyone else selling pretty well (e.g. the early Skids & Mudflap)

well i think the high demand in 3rd parties G1 Arcee would be the best proof to hasbro\takara that G1 Arcee would sell, they dont have to make it as a regular toy. they could make it a MP grade toy.

Wait, what? Firstly, the only way Masterpiece would happen would be if the 'revamped' series did stupidly well - if they work through all the Autobot cars, the Constructicons, the Triple Changers, Kup, Blaster, Perceptor, the Dinobots etc. and were bored.

Secondly if it was a high-ticket short-run item that would hurt it compared to 3rd party stuff because fans will have already forked out over the odds for one G1 Arcee and are unlikely to want to double-dip.

but i think even as regular toy, G1 Arcee would still sell. i mean look at Animated Arcee. she spend most of her time in the series being a brain dead puppet and yet her toy is a hot item, all because she look like G1 Arcee.

It was a hot item because it shipped in relatively short numbers and was being hooked out of cases by scalpers who stockpiled them to sell onto adult fans via ebay.

but i agree that most people who would buy Arcee are most likely growth fans, but she could win some of the boys over in prime mainly because they make her look pretty cool, an area that Arcee never really shine that well in the fast.

The thing is all the Prime character shares with her is a name and a gender. Aside from that they're completely different in terms of looks and personality.

calvin_0
2012-11-11, 03:57 PM
Secondly if it was a high-ticket short-run item that would hurt it compared to 3rd party stuff because fans will have already forked out over the odds for one G1 Arcee and are unlikely to want to double-dip.

consider how many version of g1 optimus prime out there, i dont think double dip would be a problem for most fans.

if there is people who shy away because they brought a 3rd party Arcee, they arent the people hasbro\takara been catering for years anyway.

Blackjack
2012-11-11, 04:07 PM
Dunno, I think Animated Arcee is the closest we are going to get to an Arcee in G1 aesthetics... Animated Arcee is pretty boxy compared to her fellow Animated toys so if you squint she could pass off as a Classics toy.

And Animated Arcee being a big seller... well, she was shipped in a minimal case and was mainly gobbled up by scalpers, so completist collectors who liked Animated, who wanted an official Arcee for Classics shelves, Arcee completists, rare item completists, etc etc... Arcee doesn't have more demand than, say, the similarly-scalped Animated Waspinator or Rodimus.

Personally never saw what's the big deal with G1 Arcee anyway. She's either a psychotic emo lightsaber-swinging mascara-laden fanged-faced bitch, or a flat nobody whose whole characterization is 'a girl'. Hell, she straight-off irritated me when I watched the animated movie. I'd be happy if Hasbro buried pink Arcee in the past and pretended she never existed and continued using Prime Arcee as the definite Arcee, but I get that G1 Arcee's got fans out there.

But, well, since even Blurr didn't get an all-new mould, and Magnus is still walking around as white Optimus Prime, Arcee'll probably remain a repaint of someone for the forseeable future. I'll admit we're starting to run out of first/second/third-year Autobot cars, though, so maybe after TF4? Personally I hope Arcee's slot for a new mould gets replaced by someone like, say, Trailbreaker or Slag or Shrapnel or one of the Headmasters or something, but that's me.

I can see Animated Arcee being painted in a slavish G1 deco and released as a Walmart or FunPub exclusive or something, though.

Warcry
2012-11-11, 04:16 PM
consider how many version of g1 optimus prime out there, i dont think double dip would be a problem for most fans.
Arcee and Optimus Prime are nowhere close to comparable in terms of popularity. Even with her important role in the Prime cartoon she's still a fourth-tier character at best, nowhere near the big guns (Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee) or the popular secondary characters (Soundwave, Grimlock, Rodimus, Starscream, etc.) She's even behind guys like Thundercracker or Skywarp or Sideswipe. The only one in the Masterpiece line you could compare her to is Red Alert, popularity-wise, and even then...Red's just a redeco. Arcee would require her own mold.

I'd be happy if Hasbro buried pink Arcee in the past and pretended she never existed and continued using Prime Arcee as the definite Arcee.
Same here. Prime Arcee is actually a character, and she's the first Arcee who you'd ever be able to say that about.

Blackjack
2012-11-11, 04:39 PM
Eh, when Shockwave doesn't even have a Masterpiece class toy, a third-stringer like Arcee doesn't stand a chance.

Cliffjumper
2012-11-11, 05:28 PM
Red's just a redeco.

I'd also say he's probably a lot more popular too, with his oddball personality, preposterous vehicle mode and, well, no-one ever actively disliking the guy.

The comparison with Optimus Prime is a bad one too. Not only is Prime a break-out character with proven popularity but most of his multiples fetch relatively cheap prices. Double-dipping on, say, Leader and MP would probably still work out cheaper than 3P and MP.

All this said I wouldn't fall over in shock if HasTak did do a Classics Deluxe of Arcee, they've done weirder things before. I just can't see a particularly rational reason for them to do so. The big stumbling block I would see is that Hasbro very much have her down as Bike Girl - Energon, Movie, ROTF, Prime - and it wouldn't surprise me if their Aligned philosophy sees any Classics Arcee also turn into a bike on the grounds that they already have lots of car characters to choose from.

Thunderwave
2012-11-12, 01:39 AM
Red's just a redeco. Arcee would require her own mold.

if what I saw was correct Red is the first redeco of MP Sideswipe, not, say, Sunstreaker.

tahukanuva
2012-11-12, 02:04 AM
Plus, considering Hasbro's bizarre desire not to have multiple versions of the same characters on shelves, I'd say Prime Arcee hurts G1 Arcee's (negligible) chances more than helps. Hasbro wouldn't even do Jazz until the Movie and Animated were done with and he was friggin' Jazz. The only exceptions they really make are the four anchor characters.

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-11-17, 05:17 PM

It's the same in my neck of woods I have seen TF:P Arcee on the shelves but she's gone pretty fast. Bumblebee on the other hand seems to stay around forever.

Also, to be fair, ROTF Arcee was a bunch of garbage. On screen she was confusing and in plastic she was a mess. Does anyone remember how TF:TM Arcee sold? Or Animated? I recall, when I worked in a TRU, that Arcee was actually pretty sought after by kids (even though my store never even got her in).

IIIRC in the orginal Transformers: Generations Japanese book there is a sketch of what lookes a pink Chromedome in car mode with Arcee above it so clearly even back in the 80s they were considering how to make an Arcee toy even if she had to be a Headmaster.

starlord
2013-02-21, 06:05 AM
Hurray. i hope they don't make her a male bot turn girl like the last time. Maybe she willl fight the spider again in Prime or Show down? Maybe she will fight Starscream, Thunderblast Or Slipstream or some other decepticons. I wish there were more femme cons so she could fight one?