PDA

View Full Version : Furman wants another petition for an RO annual

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-11-13, 03:34 PM
http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=12930&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
and
http://simonfurman.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/script-wrap-transformers-rg1-85

Apparently Furman wants to write a RO Annual next year and the suck ups on the IDW boards all on board, except for me of course not being happy with the over-priced annuals that had lackluster art (except for Guidio's flashback artwork). I want IDW to price all their annuals $5 like every other major publisher instead of the $8 rip-offs (I might agree to pay $8 if the page count was 80 pages like Dark Horse Presents) otherwise Furman and IDW can go screw themselves. I'm not starving myself for a damn comic book that I read in 5 minutes or less.

Either make it worth my money with more material than a lousy 40 pages (try 64-80 pages) or don't do it.

Summerhayes
2012-11-13, 03:45 PM
Simon Furman makes me sad.

Warcry
2012-11-13, 07:39 PM
Considering the genuinely horrible writing on the series so far, I'd be mildly surprised if Regeneration One wasn't teetering on the brink of cancellation by next summer, never mind getting an annual. I might be wrong on this score, but I really expect the sales to plummet over the next few months since no one is reading it but the people who are reading the other IDW books, and so many of them are saying how horrible it is.

But, you know, more power to Furman if he can convince enough people to sign on and IDW give him more money. The guy's got to eat, right?

Terome
2012-11-13, 07:45 PM
Hmm, so a story set during Megatron's conquest of Earth. Doesn't sound like a great idea on the face of it. It gets me thinking of a revolving roster of characters from the Marvel comics being squashed under tanks. 'Hey Bomber Bill, how are you coping with those robot apocalypse?' 'Quite well thanks,' SQUASH. One page per character for forty consecutive characters. That'll wrap up those loose ends.

... So as long as it is any idea other than that I'm sure it will be fine.

inflatable dalek
2012-11-13, 08:24 PM
Well, assuming it's not an attempt to create an early buzz for an already decided upon title...

It does seem a bit strange. If he's having to show there's an interest for an Annual that suggests either the two this year didn't do as well as hoped, or Reg's continuing sales drop off (about five thousand down on issue one and barely ahead of the other two books now, presumably they haven't all gone digital?) means IDW aren't especially interested in more than they've committed to already.

Either way, is Furman really having to start a petition for every idea he has before IDW commission it? That's a bit sad.

Ah wait... having written all that out based on the thread title, I've actually gone all journalist and read the links. The petition isn't Furman's idea, and it's only backed by him in the sense someone said "Wouldn't you like work?" "Yes" "I'll go start a petition!".

Considering the odds of Geoff Senior finding the time for a regular issue, let alone a double sized one, I wonder how happy the petitioners would be if they only got half what they're asking for and Wildman drew it?

@Warcry, Considering the push it was launched with, the fact it's only got a set run anyway and it being a sop to the old farts I can see it making it to 100 unless sales don't level out now they're the same as the other two books.

I wonder how long before we get a "Lets take it past 100!" petition?

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-11-13, 08:58 PM
I wonder how long before we get a "Lets take it past 100!" petition?

By #90 would be my guess, although to be honest I'm surprised that they haven't done one already.

Warcry
2012-11-13, 09:08 PM
@Warcry, Considering the push it was launched with, the fact it's only got a set run anyway and it being a sop to the old farts I can see it making it to 100 unless sales don't level out now they're the same as the other two books.
I dunno. If there's one thing Furman's been able to do consistently at IDW, it's lose readers. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see the book selling ~8,000 copies six months from now, like Maximum Dinobots did.

On a side-note, looking up the sales data I was shocked to see that The Gathering, an out-of-continuity niche miniseries, sold more than what the two current ongoings are selling combined. Good work losing all those readers, IDW!

Terome
2012-11-14, 12:47 AM
On a side-note, looking up the sales data I was shocked to see that The Gathering, an out-of-continuity niche miniseries, sold more than what the two current ongoings are selling combined. Good work losing all those readers, IDW!

"Hey, let's show them just how serious we are by getting the guy who can't really draw animals to do a Beast Wars comic!"

Summerhayes
2012-11-14, 02:41 PM
I hadn't actually realised how badly the current ongoings were doing. Thats a real shame- this is some of the best transformers fiction, of any kind, ever and i'd like it to run and run and be read by everyone.

Auntie Slag
2012-12-13, 11:13 AM
I wonder what the cut-off point is for a comic? At what point do IDW say "Ok, we're below 5,000 copies for MTMTE per month, lets cancel once the next three-parter concludes?

Or do they have a few 'golden egg' titles that allow the smaller ones to keep going even at a bit of a loss?

Cyberstrike nTo
2012-12-13, 06:23 PM
I wonder what the cut-off point is for a comic? At what point do IDW say "Ok, we're below 5,000 copies for MTMTE per month, lets cancel once the next three-parter concludes?

Or do they have a few 'golden egg' titles that allow the smaller ones to keep going even at a bit of a loss?

From my understanding that 5,000 is the minimum to get a comic book carried by Diamond if a book goes under 5,000 copies Diamond won't carry it. Diamond has actually put a few small companies out of business by doing that. Now I would guess that since IDW is one of Diamond's "Premiere Publishers" they might give them some room to IDW as well Dark Horse, Image, Marvel, and DC (the other "Premiere Publishers") because of that standing, but will kick them out of that standing like Acclaim/Valiant if the entire line and company looks to be going down the drain.