PDA

View Full Version : MTMTE Overlord Theory Thread (possible Spoilers)

Red Dave Prime
2013-01-08, 09:57 PM
Hi all,

I'm quite looking forward to the next few issues of More than Meets the Eye, particularly the Overlord reveal. There's been some interesting ideas bandied about on this and the IDW forum so I was hoping if you (yes, you!) have an idea you might post it here and once its all revealed we can see who was closest and who was so far off.

I'm going with Brainstorm being involved - He said he was working on the ultimate weapon and he needed to take the universe unawares. Not sure if he was working along but I havent thought that far ahead.

Anyone else got a theory?

Terome
2013-01-09, 02:09 AM
Hi all,

I'm going with Brainstorm being involved - He said he was working on the ultimate weapon and he needed to take the universe unawares. Not sure if he was working along but I havent thought that far ahead.

Anyone else got a theory?

Brainstorm and his implausible shrink-gun seems so likely that it's probably a red herring.

The tricky part is that everybody is acting suspicious. Everybody's got something to hide and a colourful past. Let's review the suspects:

Ratchet has no alibi but he also has no motive.
Chromedome is instrumental to the whole thing somehow but might be being played for a fool unless some kind of wacky split personality thing is in play.
Red Alert is so deeply mad that a suicide fake-out mastermind gambit isn't entirely out of the question.
First Aid is used to shady business and has been throwing his new authority around. He also has been seen being quite close to key components of the mystery - the drone that spied on Red Alert, for example.
Ultra Magnus is acting oddly and advocated the freezing of Red Alert after putting himself far away from the ship while his spark was ebbing to nothing but he's also got no motive and would be the least likely to want anything to do with Overlord.
Scratch that - Cyclonus would probably be the least likely to want to have anything to do with any of this, and nobody would trust him with a secret either.
Skids - there is so much weird about Skids right now that anything could be possible. Same for Rung. Though if either of them are involved it is probably unwittingly.
Whirl is probably outside of suspicion as he had no plans to be on the Lost Light in the first place. His long-term plans seemed to be to dismember Sweeps and possibly to kill himself.

There's the other matter of what exactly the guilty party or parties intend to do with Overlord. A blunt instrument against Megatron / The Decepticons seems most likely but not incredibly well thought-out when guys like Omega Supreme are hanging around. If he's a bargaining chip for the Galactic Council or Chief Justice Tyrest or something, why all the secrecy? If he's a ticking time-bomb set to take out the Lost Light if they get too close to their goal, who would have the power and the will to do such a thing?

The biggest wild card is the time travel plot which we know is coming in some form or shape some day. If this Overlord is from the past or the future, that may give some extra latitude to think about things.

Then there's the fact that we don't know an awful lot about Overlord's biography. All we know is that he's Caligula, turns into a tank and a jet, and fell in with the Decepticons at some point between the war going global on Cybertron and the development of the interplanetary phased invasion system. What on earth did he get up to in all the time since his desertion and showing up on Garrus-9? And why is he so montrously powerful? Was he upgraded throughout the war by superiors who lacked foresight and a basic understanding of psychology or was he forged that way to be Nova Prime's bouncer? There's a lot that can be pulled from nowhere to fill in the gaps we're looking at in the comic. He might turn out to be Dominus Ambus or something wild like that.

inflatable dalek
2013-01-12, 09:45 AM
Brainstorm and his implausible shrink-gun seems so likely that it's probably a red herring.

Plus Brainstorm didn't finish the gun until after the series started, and Overlord wasn't shrunk (unless we were in a "This cow is close, those are far away..." situation).

My personal theory is the command staff (Magnus, Rodimus, Drift and Ratchet) are all involved in Overlord being onboard for one reason or another. I'm not sure if Mr. Mystery voice is one of them having gone secretly nuts for some reason or not, second best guess would be the John Simm in Skid's head or the aforementioned multiple personality Chromedome.

Mind, one thing Roberts did say in an interview (I can't remember now if it was at AA or a podcast) was we may have seen the Lost Light go to Delphi, but we haven't yet learnt why they shouldn't have gone there.

So was Overlord put aboard then? . The two characters they did pick up, Ambulon and First Aid, have to look suspicious at this point as well. First Aid especially, as [i]Bulletts established he'll do very strange things cheerfully if he thinks he's under orders from a superior.

Or are we going to go all cheesy and it will turn out Ratchet now has EVIL HANDS?

The biggest wild card is the time travel plot which we know is coming in some form or shape some day. If this Overlord is from the past or the future, that may give some extra latitude to think about things.

As I can't imagine both books introducing unconnected time travel elements I still think it's not a coincidence that RID has Jhiaxus flying about the galaxy with a time ship just waiting to run into the Lost Light at some point (as he's also promised something bigger than Chaos that'll be the logical point for the two books to connect again as well).

Denyer
2013-01-12, 12:35 PM
the logical point for the two books to connect again
*cries*

inflatable dalek
2013-01-12, 12:43 PM
*cries*

They apparently thought about doing it with the Annuals so you're lucky they've gone this far without it. ;) Roberts has been fairly upfront that they will be crossing paths sooner or later so I'm hopeful it'll be well planned out (as we seem to be on the build up to another "EVENT" I wonder how they'll handle it, alternating instalments between the two books or a separate mini series?).

If the fall out from the rug pulling out moment at the end of RID 13 is handled properly I could actually come to believe Barber and Roberts could pull off anything between them. Which I wouldn't have been so confident of a month ago.

Red Dave Prime
2013-01-13, 02:47 AM
Do you mean that the 2 will have a crossover plot spanning 3 issues of each or that the two will merge into a single comic again (Robots meet the eye or More than in Disguise perhaps?)

Because while I dont always gel with Rid I think its been great that its had its own issues and style from MTMTE. Moving them together for a single arc isnt too bad but I'd be side to see them united again. Kinda hoped after the Knights arc the Lost Light continues on its journey.