PDA

View Full Version : Transformer Locator - RID or MTMTE

Rack 'n Ruin
2013-01-18, 06:50 AM
Hi all,

I've been trying to place various 'bots and 'cons in either the current RID or MTMTE ongoings, but there are a few where I can't figure out which they are in (and therefore where they are - Cybertron or the Lost Light). Of course, it's possible they just haven't turned up yet, or that they are already dead in this universe. Does anyone know the whereabouts of the following:

Kup
Windcharger
Grapple
Cliffjumper

Ta muchly!

inflatable dalek
2013-01-18, 10:50 AM
Kup: "Died" in Infestation.

Windcharger: Appeared in Long Ago flashback in MTMTE, I'm not sure if the present day version has been confirmed as anywhere yet.

Grapple: In MTMTE, helped fish a certain body out of the reservoir.

No idea on Cliffjumper.

Rack 'n Ruin
2013-01-18, 11:28 AM
Grapple: In MTMTE, helped fish a certain body out of the reservoir.

Cheers, Dalek. Though I thought it was Hoist doing the heavy lifting? Maybe my memory is going. Wouldn't suprise me.

I haven't read Infestation, so am intrigued by the "died" bit. Could you explain please? Is he dead-dead-deadity-dead, or just James Roberts-style dead-but-will-be-back-next-week dead?

Anyone else spotted these guys?

inflatable dalek
2013-01-18, 11:40 AM
Ah, it may have been Hoist in the reservoir, but Grapple is onboard as well, he just hasn't done anything yet.

Kup... Went crazy and got sucked into a gobbledygook wormhole thing with a SPACE zombie where they're doomed to fight each other for all time.

Or something. It's bonkers. And very obviously a way for the then writers/editors to get rid of a plot they had no time for.

Rack 'n Ruin
2013-01-18, 11:46 AM
Ah, cheers. Poor ol' Kup. No doubt he'll reappear when they need him and his cy-gar again. :(

Terome
2013-01-18, 11:49 AM
Wasn't it inferred that Kup became the Dead Universe? I think the rationale was that he once thought he was being attacked by zombies and so would be the best fit.

I feel bad that Nick had to sit there and draw that happening when he certainly had much more interesting plans for Kup stewing in his noggin.

inflatable dalek
2013-01-18, 05:24 PM
Wasn't it inferred that Kup became the Dead Universe? I think the rationale was that he once thought he was being attacked by zombies and so would be the best fit.

It's possible. It's possible he became the Easter Bunny as well. Infestation may make more sense if you read the whole crossover, but by itself it seemed like both writers had done a whole load of cocaines.

I still quite enjoyed it in a batshit insane way.

I feel bad that Nick had to sit there and draw that happening when he certainly had much more interesting plans for Kup stewing in his noggin.

Hmm, and around that time he started talking about how he was much more interested in writing for IDW than drawing for them. Coincidence?

Terome
2013-01-18, 05:37 PM
Yes, I'm not terribly fussed about what the Infestation comics did or did not do. I think of them the same way I think of those Steve Ditko colouring books with the potatoes - amusing and of little consequence. That whole Dan Abnett period was an amazingly strange time, like reading Transformers comics from another world that fell out of a dimensional warp.

Perhaps when the dust has settled and memories have turned more charitable then we'll revisit it with a Thinkbox mini-series.

Weird that Cliffjumper is unaccounted for - he was built up to be a major player a few years ago. Barbar seems to have gotten him confused with Sideswipe, to my eyes.

inflatable dalek
2013-01-18, 05:45 PM
Well, me not having spotted him doesn't necessarily mean he's not in the background of every panel in both comics holding up a sign saying "Hey, remember that time I hung out with that anime chick? What was that all about?".

Or... HE'S BEHIND OVERLORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder how many characters have popped up in both books when they shouldn't? I think there was one early one IIRC but haven't really been following the wiki that closely on goofs and don't generally notice that sort of thing easily.

I'm actually quite looking forward to the Big Chunky Hardbacks reaching Heart of Darkness. It can't possibly be the cancer in paper form most people make it out to be can it?

Terome
2013-01-18, 05:56 PM
Wiki says he's on Cybertron. Would have expected him to be one of Prowl's thugs.

Can't recall any characters who pop up where they shouldn't be. Maybe Spinister? But that was in a tiny mostly-silhouette background appearance so whatever.

Heart Of Darkness has some real problems with the character art and some very out-of-character dialogue for Cyclonus and Jhiaxus (Scourge doesn't have a character so he's cool) but the rough premise is about as epic as IDW have dared to go and the environment art is lovely. The whole thing has got a very Heavy Metal vibe to it and seems determined to do something genuinely interesting with Galvatron.

Oh, there's lots of dumb stuff in there too. But it's not the worst comic with 'Transformers' written on it.

Death's Head
2013-01-19, 03:19 PM
Slightly off-topic, but I was watching the extras on Stewart Lee's Carpet Remnant World, and it turns out he was at college with Dan Abnett! Small world...

Knightdramon
2013-01-19, 03:59 PM
Windcharger is on Cybertron. It was mentioned in an interview that Costa really wanted him on MTMTE but didn't get him, and presumably had to settle with the flashback in Shadowplay. Otherwise why not have him tell the story?

Grapple is on MTMTE. He's around in some scenes and in the end of issue 9 [or was it 10? No, 9]

Kup vanished in Infestation. To be honest been banished in another dimension is a pretty open window for him to come back.

Cliffjumper is on Cybertron. He's featured in the very first pages of issue 12 as part of the squad assembled to take down the city's newcomer.

Red Dave Prime
2013-01-19, 07:16 PM
Yep, Grapple is the bot who fishes out Red Alert (issue 9)

And Yep again, Cliffy appears in the posse that goes to gun down Megatron.

Havent seen Windcharger except for the shadowplay flashback.

As for Kup, as stated, he dies in Infestation. Sort of. What I took as happening is that the Undermind / d-void (what a ****ing terrible name) gets ready to go through a portal to pre-war cybertron where it will be able to takeover the whole cybertronion race. Kup resets the co-ordinates to send the undermind to the dead universe - presumbly where it becomes the Heart of Darkness. As Kup was in thrall to Undermind at the time, he gets caught in the portal and disappears as well.

It's quite possible that Kup could show up again. Arcee, Jhiaxus, Cyclonus and Hardhead have all been shown to live outside of the Dead Universe (although for Cyclonus that was somewhat explained by Galvatron zapping him with the Heart of Darkness)

I could have all that very wrong as its not quite clear and seeing as its a mix of different writers (Dead Universe is Furman, Undermind is Abnett and D-Void runs into the Costa stuff) I thought if there was ever a clear idea for it all.

inflatable dalek
2013-01-19, 07:22 PM
Slightly off-topic, but I was watching the extras on Stewart Lee's Carpet Remnant World, and it turns out he was at college with Dan Abnett! Small world...

If only they'd crossed career paths. "What you've done there Rampage, is misunderstand the nature of metaphor and confuse an Insecticon's chuff... with an actual Inscticon's chuff".

Odd that the two writers had a manly wrestle over who got to use Windcharger, but it's the one who lost who's used him first.

Even more so than Kup I have to wonder how long Nightbeat will stay dead for, he seems to be in constant demand for flashbacks and head shots aren't as lethal as they used to be.

Rack 'n Ruin
2013-01-20, 05:59 PM
Thanks to all those that have helped me track down the IDW whereabouts of the guys I had "misplaced". There will be a RID / MTMTE inspired rearrangement of the display shelves sometime soon. :clap:

(I'm going to cheat though, and still have Kup on Cybertron, while also sticking Guzzle on the Lost Light)

Oh, and Dalek; seems you were bang on about Grapple. I thought you were referring to an earlier scene involving Hoist and Cyclonus. Oopsie.

Knightdramon
2013-01-20, 07:22 PM
Thanks to all those that have helped me track down the IDW whereabouts of the guys I had "misplaced". There will be a RID / MTMTE inspired rearrangement of the display shelves sometime soon. :clap:

(I'm going to cheat though, and still have Kup on Cybertron, while also sticking Guzzle on the Lost Light)

Oh, and Dalek; seems you were bang on about Grapple. I thought you were referring to an earlier scene involving Hoist and Cyclonus. Oopsie.

That's what I do with my figures as well...Generations Drift hangs out with Igear Ratchet with MP Grimlock closeby, there's always the Alternity Dai Atlas around, MP Sideswipe hangs with alternity Cliffjumper, MP Prime is usually alone and Alternity Bumblebee is always opposite of MP Rodimus with a matrix opened between them.

Ah, the beauty of diverse displays. Will get pictures and update once MP Red Alert is in my hands.

Terome
2013-01-20, 08:55 PM

Man, those extras are brilliant. The long monologue about Scooby Doo was inspiring. He's written some seriously nerdy stuff about comics history in Dodgem Logic and I think he takes it all very seriously.

Death's Head
2013-01-26, 04:39 AM
Man, those extras are brilliant. The long monologue about Scooby Doo was inspiring. He's written some seriously nerdy stuff about comics history in Dodgem Logic and I think he takes it all very seriously.

Oh, he surely does. I was lucky enough to go to the Dodgem Logic fundraiser bash in Hackney a couple of years back where, in addition to Alan Moore hosting the night there were comedy sets from Stew and Robin Ince. Great stuff. Did you get a chance to read his comic strip in Mark Millar's Clint magazine?