PDA

View Full Version : Martians vs Transformers - Fight!!

Red Dave Prime
2013-01-22, 09:27 PM
Preview of Mars Attacks vs Transformers:

http://www.fullmetalhero.com/content/mars-attacks-transformers-preview-5732/

Set in the sunbow universe, it looks likes it is fully tongue in check (Shamed to admit, I laughed at the Ironhide Arm gag)

Certainly not worth ACTUAL money but probably will get a skim in Forbidden Planet. Seems much more in the vein of the first infestation and not the dull-as-dishwater second.

Springer85
2013-01-22, 09:56 PM
Hmm... Might be me, but it looks like Ironhide has 2 right arms... :eyebrow:

Red Dave Prime
2013-01-22, 10:03 PM
No, you're spot on. It's 2 right arms - in 2 panels no less! (you could allow one as a mistake but 2 is pretty bad)

inflatable dalek
2013-01-22, 10:08 PM
Can't get the preview to load on my tab and have no real interest in the comic, but I do like the idea of it being set in the cartoon Universe. That's such an obvious place to set the more silly stuff it's a wonder it hasn't happened before.

In fact, this will be the first proper original mass release story set in the original cartoon continuity since Beast Machines ended won't it?

Terome
2013-01-22, 10:16 PM
Yes, this looks about right. Feels a bit like a Jack Of Fables issue for some reason. That's not necessarily a great thing but it is appropriate, tone-wise.

I did read the Mars Attacks Popeye comic a few weeks ago and it was pretty spot-on.

Will Spike's rubber boots save him from the Martian's ray-guns, d'yathink?

Auntie Slag
2013-01-22, 10:17 PM
I like it. The artwork is spot on, there's some good lines in the preview "Surrender now or we will do unspeakable things to your faces and pets", and it has the joyous glow of the old cartoon.

Love the way Wheeljack's newly designed handcuffs come off at at the first opportunity, and Thundercraker's arse hanging out of a skyscraper.

Red Dave Prime
2013-01-22, 11:20 PM
I would certainly have preferred a comic set in the cartoon era rather than the regeneration one run. Not as an ongoing but maybe a 12 issue run that ties the end of series 2 into the Movie. There's potential for a different tone and style to the other ongoings. Regen One feels too much like a re-thread of what happened in the early years.

Red Dave Prime
2013-01-23, 09:24 PM
Will Spike's rubber boots save him from the Martian's ray-guns, d'yathink?

Amazing call!!

This is absolute comedy and works... honestly! Megatron is nothing like he should be (more like Galvatron from Investation #1 I feel) but he's done really well. It's far more comedy than anything Roberts has done and very different to any of the IDW stuff. Amazingly, it's by Shane McCarthy.

It's very slight and throwaway but I enjoyed it so well done IDW.

edit : Oh, and can someone move this to the proper section now please? Thanks :)

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-01-24, 08:01 AM
You know, I was kind of expecting this story to feature the "redemption" of IDW's Spike Witwicky or something, but it seems McCarthy finally understands his craft:swirly:

Cyberstrike nTo
2013-01-24, 04:14 PM
I'm not a big fan of Mars Attacks in any media, it's just not my cup of tea, but I might pick this issue up after reading the preview.

Paul053
2013-02-06, 09:20 PM
Never think a comedy type Transformers comic can be that ......................... fun to read (and written by McCarthy). In you face, General.

Hmm... Might be me, but it looks like Ironhide has 2 right arms... :eyebrow:
Manufacture error I guess? ;)