PDA

View Full Version : [Toy Question: pre-orders?]

HotShot81
2013-01-23, 07:21 PM
I just placed a pre-order for Fortress Maximuss from Japan, and it got me.

When was the last time you pre-ordered a bot?
How much was the most you spent on one transformer?

For the record Fort Max is my first pre-order. He's the new all time hight at over $300.

Before him, I paid $120 for Unicron 25th Aniversy edition.

ganon578
2013-01-23, 08:06 PM
I think the only thing I ever 'pre-ordered' was Classics Inferno from Hasbro Toy Shop. If that really counts. It was more of an order before they had them in stock. Otherwise, I've never pre-ordered a Transformer.

I'm cheap, so the most I've spent on a Transformer was $60 for the Classics Ultra Magnus/Skywarp 2-pack off eBay. I 6-ish months ago I put up Magnus on eBay to clear some space and recoup some $, and it went for $85. Still have Skywarp, which I plan on keeping. Seems like I made out pretty well on that one!

Other than that it would have to be the $40 I spent on Energon Omega Supreme.

Denyer
2013-01-23, 09:08 PM
MP Sideswipe. Think it was 75 all in, but someone else in the frame for any import fees. Not something I'd make a habit of.

Thunderwave
2013-01-23, 10:38 PM
Most I've spent was $150 for the Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack. For a single figure it was the $75, iirc, for Masterpiece Grimlock (who is still the only MP figure I own).

As for Preorder, does the TFCC stuff count? If so I preordered Runabout when he became available. Other then that I've never preordered. Well not for Transformers anyways, mostly because I'm cheap-ish as far as a collector goes. I'd rather wait until a figure goes on sale/clearance or crops up in a local store then pay the secondary market price for a preorder. The only exception would be if, like you, I was ordering something that wouldn't come out in the US or was an exclusive (like BBTS Dark Energon figures).

The Reverend
2013-01-24, 01:16 AM
The last one I preordered was MP Megatron.
I would have preordered MP Rodimus, but I didn't have the spare cash at the time. as it turned out, that was a good thing, because I didn't have the money until v2 was out. Since then I've refused to buy any Masterpieces until others have reviewed them.

numbat
2013-01-24, 01:23 PM
I pre-ordered MP-12 Sideswipe and MP-13 Soundwave. Don't actually have either of them yet, seeing as how Soundwave's delayed... I also pre-ordered the Masterpiece cassettes.

I don't usually pre-order things, but given how much Masterpiece figures can cost after they're out, and how excited I am about these particular ones I just had to.

Most expensive Transformer remains MP-04 Convoy, which I think cost around 120 GBP when I bought him new back when he came out. A price which puts me off getting MP-10 given he's smaller but considerably more expensive...

The Japanese release of the Takara 2010 G1 redeco of Unicron is probably a close second - maybe beating it if you include the import fees I got surprised with!

I would have pre-ordered MP-11 Starscream if I had the finances at the time - I still haven't bought him, and really would like to... I'm almost convinced to, but again he's expensive and I'm sure my wife would have kittens.

Warcry
2013-01-28, 07:10 PM
When was the last time you pre-ordered a bot?
Hmmm...I don't think I've ever preordered a Transformer, come to think of it. In fact, I can only remember preordering one toy ever -- the DCUC Black Mask that got released as a club exclusive last year.

The Transformers stuff that I'm interested in is never that hard to find, all things considered, and I've never had a problem finding it online after release for a reasonable price if I think I'm going to have trouble getting it at retail. I don't think Transformers is a hobby where preordering is really all that helpful, since 99% of the stuff (even collector-themed Masterpieces and the like) is stocked in high enough numbers that you can find it in the usual online stores months after release anyway.

How much was the most you spent on one transformer?
The most expensive Transformer I've bought recently is MP Rodimus, who was somewhere around $75 or $80. I don't think I paid more than that for any of the other figures I've got, though my memory of what I paid for something gets pretty foggy after a couple years have gone by.

Cliffjumper
2013-01-29, 12:44 AM
Never pre-ordered a TF for the reasons Warcry mentioned. TFs are actually pretty common, especially good ones.

Most expensive survivor is probably MP Grimlock at 65-ish - I half-remember ponying up a bit more for a complete G1 Jetfire but then I managed to completley yellow the core figure, bought another one for a reasonable amount and then somehow sold the yellowed one for about twice as much. Most expensive proportional to common sense would be DOTM Leadfoot for around 45, which I'd probably be able to make back looking at going rates on ebay.

Which are surprisingly low figures considering I'm quite impulsive - if a figure's good and I want it until recent life changes I just went for it even if there was a chance it'd cost more at that precise moment. I suppose few TFs have really been good enough to warrant that approach compared to, say, SoC Zambot 3 where I just grabbed the only one on ebay at the time because the toy is genuinely superb rather than not bad for the price.

Skyquake87
2013-01-29, 09:46 AM
Hmm. The only pre-order I've done was for FoC Bruticus, via everyone's favourite tax avoider amazon, if only because I'd rather pay 50 being disappointed than the 80 or so he seems to fetch in the UK.

I think pre-ordering is a bit of strange concept. but then i suppose its a generational thing, and it is convenient for music, as album release dates have never been set in stone and shift about all the time. i do tend to just note things down and get around to picking them up eventually though, rather than crying over nothing as some impaitent folk do.

As for most expensive, i was going to say some of my e-hobby figures, but then i remembered i did buy Brave Max for $120 dollars (the korean version), so that still remains my most expensive TF purchase.

Purchase wise, I try and play it cool, very rarely getting carried away on ebay unless it's something I particularly want and know that it'll stay with me. but i don't like doing that in the main,as i like to pay a fair price, but over the odds is just silly.

Warcry
2013-01-30, 06:33 AM
Which are surprisingly low figures considering I'm quite impulsive - if a figure's good and I want it until recent life changes I just went for it even if there was a chance it'd cost more at that precise moment. I suppose few TFs have really been good enough to warrant that approach compared to, say, SoC Zambot 3 where I just grabbed the only one on ebay at the time because the toy is genuinely superb rather than not bad for the price.
Transformers is a pretty cheap hobby, all things considered. A list of items that are both genuinely rare and prohibitively expensive would be pretty short, really, unless you're dead-set on hunting down Japanese Lucky Draw figures or BotCon exclusives from the early days. Even stuff like the Leadfoot you mentioned is pretty easy to track down, so any impulsive overpayments that happen end up being on the order of ten or twenty dollars instead of a few hundred.

HotShot81
2013-01-31, 02:05 PM
Most of the time when I go bot hunting its in the stores for newwer stuff, older stuff is Kijiji and Craiglist.

Actually I find it interesting that the local Kijiji site has more bots listed on it.

Ebay, I go for parts, or for lots. I mean yes you get some bots you will resell, but you might also get 2-4 bots you want for a lower price than if you went for them alone.

Clay
2013-01-31, 09:27 PM
I used to preorder various Japanese releases all the time as it's usually hit-or-miss whether something shows up in the US markets or is even available later, but Takara's lack of quality control has greatly reduced that. (I do have Fort Max on the tab, though.)

I do preorder basically any third-party product that I buy as they they tend to be small production runs and frequently sell out on preorder to begin with, especially Fansprojects stuff.

Most expensive transformer? To this day, it was still the $275 I spent on a Binaltech Black Convoy within a few days of convention it was an exclusive to. They're traded infrequently for far more than that now, so I feel vindicated.

numbat
2013-02-01, 12:59 AM
Is nobody getting that I'm really looking for support/reasons to buy MP-11 Starscream?

:swirly:

FortressMaximus
2013-07-06, 01:16 AM
I have had pretty good success with preorders. I have currently preordered: Generation Metroplex, MP Prowl, MP Bluestreak, Generation Orion Pax and Megatronus, MP Smokescreen, MP Bumblee, and MP Wheeljack. Of course these preorders are spread out in different months.

The one preorder that slipped past me, 3rd party figure from Toyworld Hegemon Megatron figure. Anyone have this figure? If so, I am so jealous!

FortressMaximus
2013-07-06, 01:19 AM
I have MP Starscream. He is worth the investment. I love the MP figures. I still want to purchase a MP Soundwave.