PDA

View Full Version : Transforming FE Figures

numbat
2013-02-10, 08:41 PM
I've been packing away loads of Transformers today. I had my entire Prime collection on display in the display cabinet purchased for display of Transformers. But, my wife is not a fan, so there is a constant oscillation in the number of shelves that get devoted to TFs (even though that was the agreed purpose of the bloody display cabinet when we bought it 5 years ago!). As my wife's friend is coming to stay this week, I was under instructions to scale down the TF presence again.

So, bye-bye Prime figures. :(

(I have retained some Transformers though - MP-04 Convoy and MP-05 Megatron are apparently acceptable as ornaments, so I've assumed my wife will also accept MP-12 Sideswipe and MP-13 Soundwave in the same way, and I've added Takara 2010 G1 Unicron because he's awesome dammit - although apparently he looks more like a toy according to my wife...)

Anyhoo...

The upside of this is I've just had a mammoth transforming session, as I store most of my Transformers as vehicles.

Whilst doing this I was struck by how realtively intuitive all of the Prime figures are - but was really surprised by how easily I converted the FE figures back to vehicle modes (I'd never done the reverse transformation for most actually!). I didn't have to dig out instructions at all - which came as a big surprise for Bumblebee, Vehicon and Arcee in particular. Funny that they can be so tricky to transform into robots...

Anyway - just an observation.

Also, PRID Vehicon really is way more awesome than FE Vehicon, but I am finding myself enjoying FE's transformation more. Go-figure.

In retrospect, this was a terribly pointless thing to post... But I've got this far so I may as well submit.

If anyone else has any observations on FE and PRID figures, fire away!

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-02-10, 08:51 PM
Pfft, if your Wife really loved you she would accept you for better or for worse:mad:

Anyways, Bulkhead is awesome.

numbat
2013-02-10, 09:13 PM
Yeah - she's gonna really love it when the Hasbro version of MP-10 arrives (she particularly takes issue with how many Optimus Prime's I have...).

But that'll be nothing to when I buy Generations Metroplex later this year!

Truth be told I've kept FE Bulkhead out to play around with tonight while she's still away. PRID Voyager Starscream and FOC G2 Bruticus are also loose from the display cabinet for one night only before they return to the storage boxes.

She's away tomorrow evening too, and although I need to prepare the house for her and her friend's arrival, I may well get Cybertron Primus out for a whirl and to go a few rounds with Unicron... It's been about two years since I've had the time to get him out!

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-02-10, 09:18 PM
Yeah - she's gonna really love it when the Hasbro version of MP-10 arrives (she particularly takes issue with how many Optimus Prime's I have...).

But that'll be nothing to when I buy Generations Metroplex later this year!

Truth be told I've kept FE Bulkhead out to play around with tonight while she's still away. PRID Voyager Starscream and FOC G2 Bruticus are also loose from the display cabinet for one night only before they return to the storage boxes.

She's away tomorrow evening too, and although I need to prepare the house for her and her friend's arrival, I may well get Cybertron Primus out for a whirl and to go a few rounds with Unicron... It's been about two years since I've had the time to get him out!

I know you think Metroplex's altmode is balls, but as a fan of massive weaponry, I think his quasi-carrier mode is awesome! Robot mode looks like he pumped to much iron and ate too much steroids, though.

Anyways, what do you think of Soundwave? I think he's simple, but effective.

Denyer
2013-02-10, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't stick around either, but fairytale love doesn't exist outside of Hallmark cards and the bubble of early relationships; there are always conditions, give-and-take, and other concerns (http://theferrett.livejournal.com/1796331.html).

Similarly, there's always a trade-off between action figure poseability and transformation sequence, separate to whether the robot and alt modes are actually any good, and I'm not convinced recent lines generally manage it. Kids don't have the finesse to line up lots of little bits that are dependent on the rotation of ball joints.

Picked up Prime Arcee on a whim at the same time as the Kreons, and apart from the small joints, stress marks and apparent likelihood of snapping limbs off, still found it intuitive. A bit less back to the alt-mode. I still rarely need instructions, but before-and-after pics are handy.

numbat
2013-02-10, 09:23 PM
Actually, I think Generations Metroplex's alternate modes are great homages to the G1 figure. They suck, like his did, but I loved that toy and his city and carrier modes, and am very pleased (if amazed) that they have gone with them with the update. He's such a perfect G1 homage, it's quite remarkable!

If you mean PRID Deluxe Soundwave, I love that guy! First Prime figure I owned. Extremely well designed figure.

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-02-10, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't stick around either, but fairytale love doesn't exist outside of Hallmark cards and the bubble of early relationships; there are always conditions, give-and-take, and other concerns (http://theferrett.livejournal.com/1796331.html).

Yeah, I know, I've punched in the face by reality so many times it's a wonder I still have a positive outlook in life.

I still think Numbat's other half is being unreasonable.

numbat
2013-02-10, 09:32 PM
In fairness, my wife's aversion to Transformers only became clear after marriage really. She bought me G1 Red Bumblebee, RobotMasters Convoy and Energon Tidal Wave so I really had no reason to suspect this would become a major issue after marriage, but it grows each year with a degree of oscillation. Similarly I had no idea she hated spiders (I met her when she volunteered to join my team doing a spider survey!), but turns out she does (I'm heavily involved in Scottish spider work).

But hey, that's life. I'm not prepared to throw away what is otherwise a very supportive relationship for the hassle surrounding TFs and spiders at the current levels.

:)

But it does get my goat frequently! :lol:

And yeah - I really don't think the FE figures are at all suitable for kids. Most of the Prime figures are though, while also being interesting for adults (using myself as a proxy). However, I don't own PRID Deluxe Arcee (just FE version) - nor PRID Voyager Prime or Bulkhead. Think I have a version of every other Deluxe or Voyager mould though.

Knightdramon
2013-02-10, 09:44 PM
Did a similar thing with mine a few days ago. They evoke, for me, a feeling of flexibility and plain old satisfaction each way I transform them. Liking the show or not, the FE figures are great.

Only one I'm not crazy about is Arcee to bike mode, but even that is manageable. They generally do well in making you go 'ah...oh...hmmm neat' in how their parts move in relation to their sequence of change without bumping onto each other or rubbing together. ROTF DLX Sideswipe is a perfect example of that. HFTD Bumblebee as well. Heck, even ROTF LDR Prime manages to bump stuff onto each other forcefully for transformation and he's pretty much considered a masterpiece.

I *just* threw out my Alternity Dai Atlas, and am happy to report that such a level of frustration won't be reached with any FE. That's a separate thread for later, but it's the first time I threw out a TF. Straight into the garbage.

To be perfectly honest though, for a line that produces transforming figures and just transforming figures since...1986 or so [not counting the first diaclones], hasbro\takara could do much better. No TF I own, and I used to own a lot, will ever compare to Yamato's VF19. That's another story, I know.

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-02-10, 09:45 PM
In fairness, my wife's aversion to Transformers only became clear after marriage really. She bought me G1 Red Bumblebee, RobotMasters Convoy and Energon Tidal Wave so I really had no reason to suspect this would become a major issue after marriage, but it grows each year with a degree of oscillation. Similarly I had no idea she hated spiders (I met her when she volunteered to join my team doing a spider survey!), but turns out she does (I'm heavily involved in Scottish spider work).

But hey, that's life. I'm not prepared to throw away what is otherwise a very supportive relationship for the hassle surrounding TFs and spiders at the current levels.

But it does get my goat frequently! :lol:

And yeah - I really don't think the FE figures are at all suitable for kids. Most of the Prime figures are though, while also being interesting for adults (using myself as a proxy). However, I don't own PRID Deluxe Arcee (just FE version) - nor PRID Voyager Prime or Bulkhead. Think I have a version of every other Deluxe or Voyager mould though.

You research spiders? KEWL!!(I'm a fan of invertebrates, if you're wondering) I want a goliath bird eater but they don't ship to my land:sweatdrop

Yeah, Bulkhead's a mess. I still get confused when I transform him.... the Vehicons and Dreadwing too. I dunno about the rest though.

numbat
2013-02-10, 09:51 PM
Actually don't have any difficulties with FE Bulkhead. I think he's perfect.

As to FE Arcee I actually had more difficulty going from bike to robot. I think FE Bumblebee was the toughest of the Prime figures, both ways.

And yeah, before and after pictures are handy - instructions are normally poor these days anyway, but then stock photos are almost always mistransformed too!

Denyer
2013-02-10, 09:52 PM
Actually, I think Generations Metroplex's alternate modes are great homages to the G1 figure. They suck, like his did,
Much my feelings on MP Megs. I've been tempted a few times to pick up the original Metroplex when it's been going cheap, just as a desk piece... and if this one arrived natively in the UK then the temptation to get one just because it's farking huge might kick in.

At least spiders is a relatively simple one to fix with aversion therapy, assuming any will to.

I *just* threw out my Alternity Dai Atlas, and am happy to report that such a level of frustration won't be reached with any FE. That's a separate thread for later, but it's the first time I threw out a TF. Straight into the garbage.
Should you feel inclined to recover it, I'm sure someone'd have it off you... doesn't look like Dai Atlas much, but does look similar to Optimal Optimus.

Knightdramon
2013-02-10, 09:55 PM
Should you feel inclined to recover it, I'm sure someone'd have it off you... doesn't look like Dai Atlas much, but does look similar to Optimal Optimus.

Who'll in their right mind pay any money for a figure with a broken automorph that's stuck in vehicle mode? Planning on making a -rant- thread about it later though. Garbage bags won't get tossed until tomorrow afternoon. :down:

Denyer
2013-02-10, 10:00 PM
Well, if Clay or someone who kitbashes can't do anything with the parts, I'd happily pay shipping to take a screwdriver to it.

numbat
2013-02-10, 10:00 PM
Sadly my wife's spider issues are not so simple. She also has big problems with the fact I kill them and preserve them in alcohol (like I'm currently doing to my liver while watching the BAFTAs) for surveys. Kinda an important part of my business!

:lol:

I do like my MP-05 Megatron, but the loose waist, hips and rusting really piss me off now... But the issues are in the build quality - not the design. MP-05 Megs is a phenomenal piece of engineering. I'd be very excited if Takara released a new MP Megatron fixing these issues and matching MP-13 Soundwave in scale.

Knightdramon
2013-02-10, 11:32 PM
Will gladly just send the darn thing to whomever pays shipping plus the 1.5 euros or so for the box. Take a screwdriver, knife, whatever. The thing is a Nissan GT with half a robot torso with legs on it. :wave: good riddance to them damn thing.

Numbat buddy, Takara WILL release a v2.0 Megatron, matching Convoy and Soundwave in scale sooner than you expect. Not many know this because it was somewhat low profile, but since November-December 2011 Takara confirmed that the sales of MP10 were so good they'll make his rival in a similar scale, and that MP10 was engineered for add-on armour. If that's not MP Ultra Magnus and Megatron, I don't know what is.

The FE figures were designed by Eric Sienebaler [don't exact quote me, I always get his last name wrong], the genius behind the majority of the Animated toyline. FE Vehicon was the last TF he designed before moving on to GI Joes.

The FE figures are regarded the way they are for a combination of varied reasons. First off, undeniably, they are bigger and more detailed than the RID line. Different coloured stuff on a limb isn't paint or moulded detail unpainted, it's an entirely different plastic part moulded in the right colour. Secondly, since they were designed as Generations figures, they lack the automorph feature, meaning that when one part is angled or mismatched [in a good way] to the rest of the limb, it's that way because you move it so. So all in all, there's more joints whether they're used for articulation or aesthetics. Finally, unlike the RID figures, all deluxes store their weapons in vehicle mode. No extra kibble, no huge holes on the sides of a car, no nothing.

So yes, FE rock. Hard.

Even so, they don't hold a candle to the VF19. No, don't worry. I'm not spamming you. I don't get a share from profits. It's just that there's transforming robots and THE transforming robot. I'll make another thread about it in the coming days with pictures. You'll all see the light. :wave:

numbat
2013-02-10, 11:40 PM
Great stuff - I look forward to seeing what they do with Megatron second time round.

As to an MP Ultra Magnus with armour? That would be a no-brainer. I'd preorder him in an instant!

I look forward to learning more of this VF19. I must confess, I'm fairly clueless beyond Transformers.

Oh, and, yeah. FE do rock - that designer will be totally wasted on GI-Joe.

Denyer
2013-02-11, 12:43 AM
Will gladly just send the darn thing to whomever pays shipping plus the 1.5 euros or so for the box. Take a screwdriver, knife, whatever. The thing is a Nissan GT with half a robot torso with legs on it. :wave: good riddance to them damn thing.
As I say, give Mr Wyatt chance to wander by, as he might have a concrete idea in mind, but failing that shoot me the costs and remind me what your PP addy is. Seems a shame to just bin.

Thunderwave
2013-02-11, 12:53 AM
I've said before that the FE figures are better figures, but the PRID guys are better toys.

I looked into getting some of the Macross toys, but I think my wife would flay me alive if I spent $250 on a single toy no matter how badass it was. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places at the wrong times.

Clay
2013-02-11, 01:20 AM
As I say, give Mr Wyatt chance to wander by, as he might have a concrete idea in mind, but failing that shoot me the costs and remind me what your PP addy is. Seems a shame to just bin.

Can salvage broken automorphs... I totally broke megatron's due to forgetting how the thing worked and still managed a fix.

But it does get my goat frequently!

I should visit the UK sometime. Then you could have a houseguest that wants to see the whole collection all at once! :)

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-02-11, 05:42 AM
Sadly my wife's spider issues are not so simple. She also has big problems with the fact I kill them and preserve them in alcohol (like I'm currently doing to my liver while watching the BAFTAs) for surveys. Kinda an important part of my business!

I do like my MP-05 Megatron, but the loose waist, hips and rusting really piss me off now... But the issues are in the build quality - not the design. MP-05 Megs is a phenomenal piece of engineering. I'd be very excited if Takara released a new MP Megatron fixing these issues and matching MP-13 Soundwave in scale.

You shouldn't be too hard on your wife's arachnophobia, Latrodectus is one mean mother****er.

Yeah, MP Megs is an engineering masterpiece. Too bad it isn't more widely distributed.

numbat
2013-02-11, 09:19 AM
Yeah, MP Megs is an engineering masterpiece. Too bad it isn't more widely distributed.
And too bad it isn't better built!

numbat
2013-02-11, 09:21 AM
I should visit the UK sometime. Then you could have a houseguest that wants to see the whole collection all at once! :)
You should indeed - if you're ever over here you're very welcome to the spare room (and I shan't remove the Transformers!).

Would be pleased to show you Scotland.

Denyer
2013-02-12, 09:51 PM
Can salvage broken automorphs... I totally broke megatron's due to forgetting how the thing worked and still managed a fix.
Is it something you can walk him through, or is one of us going to acquire as a junker to mess with?

Clay
2013-02-13, 04:52 AM
Is it something you can walk him through, or is one of us going to acquire as a junker to mess with?

He's said he doesn't have the tools and will to mess with the thing, so I said to send it on to you. I think I know what the problem is, and can take apart my Convoy for some pictures to walk you through fixing it if you've got the proper equipment.

You should indeed - if you're ever over here you're very welcome to the spare room (and I shan't remove the Transformers!).

Would be pleased to show you Scotland.

I've often thrown around the idea of attending an Auto Assembly one year as it seems to attract 90% of the posters here, but something inevitably breaks or gets sick and drains that fund. I should just sell some toys and make a stronger effort to attend.

Knightdramon
2013-02-13, 11:06 AM
Yeah, you definitely need a tool for prying out pins and a screwdriver with the head at a slight angle for one screw near the front wheels. I'd even attempt it myself but I'm too disinterested in an automorph that's broken down on me on two different figures.

Hats off to you gentlemen for taking apart the figure. I've messed around with complex figures before but this is too small for me!

Denyer
2013-02-13, 09:31 PM
Cool, remind me, is it the Hotmail address in your profile? Let me know a figure.

He's said he doesn't have the tools and will to mess with the thing, so I said to send it on to you. I think I know what the problem is, and can take apart my Convoy for some pictures to walk you through fixing it if you've got the proper equipment.
Don't disassemble something on my account -- an idea of where to start and if possible a photo of the tools you'd pick to work with would be appreciated. Have found a few other people posting elsewhere about problems and it should make sense when looking at it.

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-02-17, 08:13 AM
Oh BTW, is Beast Hunters Prime any good? I would buy it for the sword alone, but I'm saving my money for Shockwave's enormous cannon:confused: