PDA

View Full Version : "PPV" YT channels on the way?

Sades
2013-02-25, 06:28 AM
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02/24/code-found-in-youtubes-most-recent-app-update-all-but-confirms-pay-to-view-channels-are-coming/

Eeeeeeenteresting.

inflatable dalek
2013-02-25, 07:47 AM
Could be a way for people who do their own stuff to actually make some money, but you'd need some pretty awesome content for it to take off.

Cliffjumper
2013-02-25, 12:38 PM
Surely more likely to be carrying stuff that's currently on TV (or even in cinema) than trying to close Pandora's box and charge for stuff that's currently on there for free; subscribe to Sky, watch PL football streaming live with a nice batch of highlights on your phone/tablet type stuff. Or maybe a Spotified-type model where a smallish payment covers access to music from X labels, who then release future songs via their PPV channel; ditto behind the scenes/preview extras for TV shows.

But it's unlikely to make people like Epic Rap Battles or Prank versus Prank a lot of money as the only reason people got watching them in the first place was because they were free.

Denyer
2013-02-25, 09:01 PM
There are probably series I'd chip in a few dollars to watch, and it's likely to all be as recordable as iPlayer.

Still unlikely to get PPV into sync with new cinema releases, for the same reason.

Cliffjumper
2013-02-25, 09:35 PM
Still unlikely to get PPV into sync with new cinema releases, for the same reason.

No, I can maybe see it coming in at the rental stage though. Suspect things like Netflix have cinema largely covered, mind.

There is probably a big market for US drama shows and the like, however.

Summerhayes
2013-02-26, 08:58 AM
I'm sure most of the big names on YouTube are already making a fair few Bob as it is, from adverts and whatnot. I can see this being hilariously abused by 13-year-olds with crappy blogs who think just because they charge an amount, people will pay it.

Cyberstrike nTo
2013-02-26, 06:47 PM
ROH Wrestling has been doing what is called iPPVs for a the last few years, granted the first 3 or 4 had some serious technical problems compounded by "the blame whiny fans and haters" spin that the company used stifle criticisms. From most reports they finally got most of the bugs worked out.