PDA

View Full Version : Things about the Fandom I don't understand

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-02-26, 07:25 AM
[refer title]

1) A couple of dead ewoks is sufficient display of Imperial military might but turning Chicago into a lynching ground is not good enough for the Decepticons.*

2) Wigger stereotypes are completely unacceptable but Germans(Animated), Muslims(once again, Animated), Chinese(The Dark Knight) and French(All Hail Megatron) are A-okay.

3) Slavery and genocide makes you "misunderstood" while killing perpetrators of either two sins make you "a monster".

4)it's Shia Labeouf's fault that Bay is an idiot.

I thought I'd run it past you guys, as you all have a good grasp of fandom psychology:)

*Not dissing the OT, as the battle of Endor had a real-life precedent

Auntie Slag
2013-02-26, 07:45 AM
Um, I don't get Number 4. Bay has captured what makes Optimus Prime tick more than anyone else. He makes fun films in the current fashion (maybe it could be argued that he contributed a lot to that fashion). He knows his two target audiences & plenty of people are happy with the results.

Could you explain why you think "it's Shia Labeouf's fault that Bay is an idiot", or if its the fandom that thinks this; a hyperlink or general gist would be helpful.

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-02-26, 08:06 AM
Um, I don't get Number 4. Bay has captured what makes Optimus Prime tick more than anyone else. He makes fun films in the current fashion (maybe it could be argued that he contributed a lot to that fashion). He knows his two target audiences & plenty of people are happy with the results.

Could you explain why you think "it's Shia Labeouf's fault that Bay is an idiot", or if its the fandom that thinks this; a hyperlink or general gist would be helpful.

Basically, Hugo Weaving said he was kinda pooped by transformers, and Bay devoted a lengthy rant about artsy posers that he later removed, but some people still have it, look around. Not that I blame him, true fans are a grating bunch, and Bay probably confused Weaving for one of them. Also, rumor gone about that he made Megan Fox wash his car in a bikini. that I blame him. Being is no excuse for being pervy;)

Yeah, Shia Labeouf got himself a hatedom, somehow, in ways Guido Guidi wouldn't get for being the main artist for All Hail Megatron. Don't ask me why, I have as much of a clue as you do.

I agree that Bay got a better grasp on Optimus that the "True Fans" ,though. you don't go centuries in a war without developing a Machiavellian approach to ending it.

Blackjack
2013-03-04, 02:48 PM
1) A couple of dead ewoks is sufficient display of Imperial military might but turning Chicago into a lynching ground is not good enough for the Decepticons.*

Eh, personally as someone who didn't watch the older Star Wars movies until I was, well, older, I thought the Imperial troops were terribly ineffective if all they can kill is a bunch of doll-sized Furbies. :glance: -braces self for whatever comeback from OT fans-

2) Wigger stereotypes are completely unacceptable but Germans(Animated), Muslims(once again, Animated), Chinese(The Dark Knight) and French(All Hail Megatron) are A-okay.

Personally I liked Skids and Mudflap. I'd wager lots of kids (who probably don't quite get stereotypes as yet) do to. But there are people who find them racist black stereotypes, and I can get where all the flak came from... every other word that came from the Twins is a swear word, and I don't think many parents appreciate it.

Can't argue about All Hail Megatron, it's a crap comic that didn't see enough people to be 'acceptable'.

Muslim stereotype in Animated? Umm, can't remember any.

German Blitzwing was funny, albeit a little annoying, but it's not really offensive, whereas those who argue that the Twins are racist do so by implying that they are illiterate idiots or annoying, but personally I felt that it was more of an attack directed at Michael Bay and the film, and parading 'RACIST CHARACTERS IN SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER' is an easy way to obtain loads and loads of readers.

3) Slavery and genocide makes you "misunderstood" while killing perpetrators of either two sins make you "a monster".

Words of idealists who ignored the fact that by sparing (or rather, not pursuing) Megatron in the second movie led to probably the largest civilian death toll in the third. Let's say Optimus spares Megatron... so that, what? In two years time he can whip out some new plot device or ancient Cybertronian artifact and blow up another big city?

Optimus would certainly harbor some guilt, especially about Sentinel -- he was the one who trusted Sentinel implicitly, and it got Ironhide killed and who knows how many NEST soldiers in his rampage. Don't have any much sympathy for Sentinel myself.

Basically, Hugo Weaving said he was kinda pooped by transformers, and Bay devoted a lengthy rant about artsy posers that he later removed, but some people still have it, look around.

Eh, Bay's a bit of a jerk, we all know that. And Hugo Weaving never had much interest in Transformers (IIRC he still haven't watched any of the movies?), we all know that.

It was terribly rude of Bay to do that, of course, but I wasn't surprised any by his actions.

Yeah, Shia Labeouf got himself a hatedom, somehow, in ways Guido Guidi wouldn't get for being the main artist for All Hail Megatron. Don't ask me why, I have as much of a clue as you do.

Still don't get what you're trying to ask, I'm afraid.

Anything related to the Bay movies got themselves a hatedom because GEEWUNERS hate the Bay movies.

Cliffjumper
2013-03-04, 06:04 PM

He's just after an excuse to bandy around second-hand buzz-phrases like
'hatedom, 'True Fans', 'fanbois' and other shit he's seen other people do so he can basically bitch about other fans without actually getting called on it because they aren't here and don't care what he's got to say anyway; if they do he shits his pants and starts playing the idiot.

TL;DR: -

http://www.characterink.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Troll_940px.jpg

Knightdramon
2013-03-04, 11:41 PM
Hmmm, to be honest I never found the twins to be agitating or offensively imitating any stereotype. I mean, really, the "street punk" stereotype has been around since the 90ies as far as I can remember. As for the ethnic stereotypes, that's what America-based writers do for you. How some of the stereotypes have stuck through the years I don't know, but they stuck.

The only thing I found lacking in Prime taking out Sentinel and Megatron was the execution, not the action. Megatron did JUST help him out and called a truce, and Sentinel did beg for his life as far as I can recall. Though it was also a rare, life affirming action by Optimus with no onscreen equal up to then.

As for Michael Bay, he did bring the franchise to all new prosperity levels for some years, but I find the guy too big a diva for my liking. Counting TF4, isn't this the third time he's said he wants to quit transformers, but came back? Can't blame him though, each movie made progressively more money than the last.

One last thing though, I believe we're all familiar with how you don't like AHM, bit could you stop trying to diss it at every opportunity you get, despite the relation of the opportunity to the cause? We get it, you don't like McCarthy. I personally can't stand what Furman writes for TFs or the piece of crap that Dreamwave put out for years, but I can live through my day without bringing that up ;)

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-03-05, 02:15 AM
Eh, personally as someone who didn't watch the older Star Wars movies until I was, well, older, I thought the Imperial troops were terribly ineffective if all they can kill is a bunch of doll-sized Furbies. :glance: -braces self for whatever comeback from OT fans-

I dunno , *someone* got the "impression" that the Stormtroopers wre a bunch of uber badasses, but never specified why.

Personally I liked Skids and Mudflap. I'd wager lots of kids (who probably don't quite get stereotypes as yet) do to. But there are people who find them racist black stereotypes, and I can get where all the flak came from... every other word that came from the Twins is a swear word, and I don't think many parents appreciate it.

Can't argue about All Hail Megatron, it's a crap comic that didn't see enough people to be 'acceptable'.

Muslim stereotype in Animated? Umm, can't remember any.

German Blitzwing was funny, albeit a little annoying, but it's not really offensive, whereas those who argue that the Twins are racist do so by implying that they are illiterate idiots or annoying, but personally I felt that it was more of an attack directed at Michael Bay and the film, and parading 'RACIST CHARACTERS IN SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER' is an easy way to obtain loads and loads of readers.

Lugnut is the Muslim Stereotype. Undying loyalty to the cause?Check. Shitload of Explosives?Check. Turns into a hugeass Jet?Check and Mate.

Yeah, I like Nazi Blitzwing better than Generic-thug Blitzwing, but it would be foolish to pretend that "Nazi" isn't a racist stereotype.

Words of idealists who ignored the fact that by sparing (or rather, not pursuing) Megatron in the second movie led to probably the largest civilian death toll in the third. Let's say Optimus spares Megatron... so that, what? In two years time he can whip out some new plot device or ancient Cybertronian artifact and blow up another big city?

Most of the fans I know *are* aware of the civilian death toll. They just don't care because, as they put it, humans are "lesser alien species"*

*I could point out that the Africans, by colonial European standards are "lesser alien species" since they don't have guns or ships, but I tackled the first subject before and they came on me like a brick shithouse.

Optimus would certainly harbor some guilt, especially about Sentinel -- he was the one who trusted Sentinel implicitly, and it got Ironhide killed and who knows how many NEST soldiers in his rampage. Don't have any much sympathy for Sentinel myself.

Yeah, Sentinel could just say "Lets talk about rebuilding Cybertron" instead on going straight to hell with all this genocide crap. I don't have much sympathy for him either.

Eh, Bay's a bit of a jerk, we all know that. And Hugo Weaving never had much interest in Transformers (IIRC he still haven't watched any of the movies?), we all know that.

It was terribly rude of Bay to do that, of course, but I wasn't surprised any by his actions.

Meh, McCarthy pretty much told everyone what he though of Furman's status quo and no one gave a shit. the same people harped on everything Bay does though.

Anything related to the Bay movies got themselves a hatedom because GEEWUNERS hate the Bay movies.

He's just after an excuse to bandy around second-hand buzz-phrases like
'hatedom, 'True Fans', 'fanbois' and other shit he's seen other people do so he can basically bitch about other fans without actually getting called on it because they aren't here and don't care what he's got to say anyway; if they do he shits his pants and starts playing the idiot.

TL;DR: -

http://www.characterink.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Troll_940px.jpg

LOL, Cliffjumper, you read me like a Kindergarten book.

I am planning on going to the warzone, but I thought I'd run it through you guys first for research.:p

tahukanuva
2013-03-05, 08:16 AM
Lugnut is the Muslim Stereotype. Undying loyalty to the cause?Check. Shitload of Explosives?Check. Turns into a hugeass Jet?Check and Mate.

Ah, of course. The age-old Muslim stereotypes of purple WW2 bombers and loyalty(?). And the Quran very clearly describes Mohammed's five glowing eyes and rocket propelled punches.

Skyquake87
2013-03-05, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I can't say Lugnut struck me as Muslim. Working in an area with a large Muslim population, I can't say any of them strike me as like Lugnut, or are some crazies screaming 'death to the west' or whatever other narrow minded view you may hold. Where on Earth did you get that idea from? And please don't give us that 'other fans' stuff. It seems a lot of this that you're trying to bait us with is stuff you believe yourself and i'm not sure what you're hoping to get out of this.

As for the Twins, well, there are plenty of white kids whom talk in silly shades of patois gleamed from too much gangsta rap. I used to work with a kid whom talked like this. He was into Snoop Dogg and all that stuff. He was white, lived with his parents and was old enough to know better.

Whilst clearly based on German military types, is Blitzwing a 'Nazi' ? I detected no ethnic cleansing or preaching of a master race.

...i think you need to go play on the big boards. There are plenty of excitable men-children who will gladly indulge in this sort of pointless mudslinging.

I feel dirty for even having responded.

inflatable dalek
2013-03-05, 08:41 AM
What I find interesting with the Twins is their double act is reprised in the third film when Brains and Wheelie are played by the same two actors in near enough exactly the same way but even people who dislike them don't seem to find them racist. Does the character designs really make all the difference?

Skyquake87
2013-03-05, 10:10 AM
Probably, but the dialogue makes the difference. Wheelie and Brains spend most of their time being filthy letches rather than wannabe gangstas.

Equally ugly though...

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-03-05, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I can't say Lugnut struck me as Muslim. Working in an area with a large Muslim population, I can't say any of them strike me as like Lugnut, or are some crazies screaming 'death to the west' or whatever other narrow minded view you may hold. Where on Earth did you get that idea from? And please don't give us that 'other fans' stuff. It seems a lot of this that you're trying to bait us with is stuff you believe yourself and i'm not sure what you're hoping to get out of this.

When did I say all muslims are maniac?I'm not Hrodberaht, Ultimate Weapon. I was just refeing to the CloudStrifer types.Maybe I should say Lugnut's a japanese stereotype or something, but you'll just say I'm racist anyways.

As for the Twins, well, there are plenty of white kids whom talk in silly shades of patois gleamed from too much gangsta rap. I used to work with a kid whom talked like this. He was into Snoop Dogg and all that stuff. He was white, lived with his parents and was old enough to know better.

Well, that's what I thought too.

Whilst clearly based on German military types, is Blitzwing a 'Nazi' ? I detected no ethnic cleansing or preaching of a master race.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThoseWackyNazis

Blitzwing fits stereotype "loud"(Hothead), "camp"(Random), and "tight-assed"(icy). That, and he's dressed like a WW2 era german soldier.

And besides, how do we know Megatron doesn't spout master race nonsense when he's not whipping up patriotic fervor? Animated got shut down before we could really see the 'con's POV.

...i think you need to go play on the big boards. There are plenty of excitable men-children who will gladly indulge in this sort of pointless mudslinging.

Been there, done that. I don't want to lose any more faith in humanity.

I feel dirty for even having responded.

I know how you feel:D

Knightdramon
2013-03-05, 11:07 AM
Ah, of course. The age-old Muslim stereotypes of purple WW2 bombers and loyalty(?). And the Quran very clearly describes Mohammed's five glowing eyes and rocket propelled punches.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I laughed out loud at that. Great job

Kungfu Dinobot
2013-03-05, 11:13 AM
One last thing though, I believe we're all familiar with how you don't like AHM, bit could you stop trying to diss it at every opportunity you get, despite the relation of the opportunity to the cause? We get it, you don't like McCarthy. I personally can't stand what Furman writes for TFs or the piece of crap that Dreamwave put out for years, but I can live through my day without bringing that up ;)

If someone ruined your favorite villain for you, you'd be angry too.

Tracks doesn't wear tight leather pants but everyone still thinks he's gay:p

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I laughed out loud at that. Great job

Knightdramon, if you're not afraid, I replied to you in the RID 14 thread. It might change your worldview;)

Cliffjumper
2013-03-05, 11:30 AM

This is exactly the sort of puerile behaviour we could do without. Argue with the points put forward by people in this thread and on this board, not shit you've read somewhere else.

Warcry
2013-03-06, 05:02 AM
When did I say all muslims are maniac?I'm not Hrodberaht, Ultimate Weapon. I was just refeing to the CloudStrifer types.Maybe I should say Lugnut's a japanese stereotype or something, but you'll just say I'm racist anyways.

I think you'll find that the only person here who's comparing fictional robots with offensive stereotypes is you. You're also the only one randomly calling out posters who haven't been here for half a decade or more (and who, it should be said, most of the current posters have never eve heard of). And when you're not doing those things, you're starting threads like this that don't serve any purpose but trying to stir up shit. You've been here for less than a month and a half and in that time you've managed to convince practically every regular poster here that you're a troll.

If all you've got to contribute is annoying the site's user base, you'll probably wind up getting banned. Assuming you don't want that, you should start doing your best to not piss off the rest of the people here.