PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Monstrosity

Knightdramon
2013-03-02, 03:19 PM
So, released yesterday in digital-only form. Same format as Autocracy, few pages twice a month, 12 issues out in six months. Same creative team of writers and artist.

Grimlock and the dinobots rob some energon from a transport based on Swindle's intelligence reports. Much less energon than they thought, they give him a hard time. Grimlock desperately wants fuel so they can get off Cybertron to "save everybody". It's implied that something bad will happen if they stay.

Takes place almost immediately after Autocracy, Optimus unites Cybertronians as Autobots after the big battle of Autocracy and you guessed it, they defy him. Dai Atlas, first and foremost, in what are shaping up to be the final days of his stay on Cybertron, opposes Prime because no matter what Optimus did, he's still the lackey of the dictator Zeta Prime. Decides to stay only because the matrix is within Prime, for now.

IDW introduces Bulkhead [spot on his Prime look] as the head of the engineering caste from Zeta's days. He supports Optimus. Xaaron is also present at the meeting, possibly the science division head.

Bumblebee shows up and says a few words, Ramondeli still draws him with Cliffjumper's distinctive head. Alpha Trion assures Optimus that he's right for the job.

Meanwhile, Astrotrain flies off with Starscream, Scorponok and a derelict Megatron from the beating he took from Metroplex. Scorponok assumes command and dumps Megatron ["I still function" still plays out like the '86 movie] on...almost there...planet Junkion. Which is a fragment of an asteroid.

In Starscream's words, a devilish, ghoulish nightmare of a place that pretty much guarantees a death. Of course they mention that it'd be easier to just shoot him, but this would make a better example.

Megatron falls onto planet Junk, where he's standing remarkably well for a nearly dead person who crash landed on his head, surrounded by junkions and Wreck Gar. It's implied that they're going to feast on him.

Then the nearly dead Megatron, almost skeletal, stands up, smiles and says "let's do this". Que "to be continued"

---Overall, boring set up. The dinobots take center stage for a mysterious reason. As if we didn't get enough of "Devastation and Maximum Dinobots V2.0" in regeneration One, Rage of the dinobots, more Prime dinobots later on, we're having them take center stage here.

Prime is facing logistical and political difficulties, which is understandable. He rose up to be a Prime during a battle that's now a full blown war. Even autobots don't fully trust him. It's neat because it was always presented as 'he has the matrix. he's cool. he leader now". Nice to see some doubt.

And the whole Megatron scene...that was the highlight of the comic, but really, it's dreamwave's plot again. Same principles. Not to mention that SL Thundercracker, taking place AFTER Autocracy [and pressumably Monstrosity], has the status quo reverted to normal.

inflatable dalek
2013-03-05, 06:38 PM
The idea of the Autobots not trusting Prime is, as with so much in the first series, completely at odds with what Roberts is doing really isn't it? This is the same guy who has built up connections, friendships and alliances as he sorts out the conspiracy?

The bizarre (unintentional?) Dreamwave similarities in the Megatron/Astrotrain/Junk sequences is a fine sign of how modern Transformers comics have been going long enough to start eating themselves. We have a comic by the script editor of the film reworking a comic that reworked the film.

For the price and length of time it takes to read this is harmless enough, but still not very sexy.

Cyberstrike nTo
2013-03-07, 06:54 PM
The idea of the Autobots not trusting Prime is, as with so much in the first series, completely at odds with what Roberts is doing really isn't it? This is the same guy who has built up connections, friendships and alliances as he sorts out the conspiracy?

The bizarre (unintentional?) Dreamwave similarities in the Megatron/Astrotrain/Junk sequences is a fine sign of how modern Transformers comics have been going long enough to start eating themselves. We have a comic by the script editor of the film reworking a comic that reworked the film.

For the price and length of time it takes to read this is harmless enough, but still not very sexy.

I got the impression when I listened to the film maker's audio commentary track on the Sony/BMG 20th Anniversary edition DVD, that it seemed (to me at least) that Flint Dille really wanted to write the script for the 86 animated movie, or at the very least take get the screen credit for all or some of it. IIRC he said something to effect of that the only reason why Ron Friendman got the sole screen credit was because of some contractual obligation.

Red Dave Prime
2013-03-13, 08:13 PM
Number 2 of this is up. I intend to get this as a TPB (as I did the first one) - not so much for the plot but for the art. I'm very much a livo fan.

Didnt mind the first one but the ending was really awkward - didnt fit and the rehash of movie dialogue was Dreamwave through and through.

This looks to follow similar, which is a pity. Roberts and Barber are at their best when not bowing down to nostalgia and this does the opposite.

Still love the art.

Knightdramon
2013-03-14, 06:13 PM
Hmmm...more nice art to gaze, more bizarre things happening.

Scorponok declares himself leader of the Decepticons and says that Megatron is banished forever on a death world. Nobody speaks up. Not Thundercracker, not Starscream, not Shockwave, no A-game player. No, the Terrorcons speak up. The terrorcons state that if Megatron is still alive in the deathworld of junkion, then the autobots won't be afraid, so they're going to offline him permanently and THEN come back and deal with Scorponok over leadership.

Now all this would be fine and dandy, if the Terrorcon's sole appearance in Spotlight: Sixshot didn't portray them as scared, whiny, goofy Decepticons who are the only ones to like Sixshot.

On the dinobot side, they are at a bar discussing how to get money to get off planet, and start arguing with Grimlock, who wants them to raid a refinery and get away with the prize. This is probably the same refinery that got them into a duel with Shockwave. This would all be neat, if Swoop didn't warn them about transforming and losing control again.

Which would be nice, tying into FOC with the dino modes being rage beasts and all...but at that point into IDW chronology they are still vehicles. They only format themselves as Dinosaurs on Earth to protect themselves from energon exposure. Their "kibble" at SL: Shockwave and all previous appearances even portray tank bits. Unless they try to retcon everything and state that they were beasts all along, and on Earth they just added flesh on them.

Lastly, Megatron's plot picks up exactly where it was left on Junkion. Megatron gets into a brutal, savage fight with Junkions while Wreck Gar's watching. At great personal loss Megatron dispatches a small squadron and guts them, before passing out. On his return he reformats parts of him with junk around, becoming more of a beast amalgam with the tarp on his arm from DOTM Megatron.

Still neat and my favourite moment from the book, but Megatron was squashed by Metroplex, recovered, not treated, and thrown on a collision course on a planet. On impact, while previously near death on the shuttle, he gets up and ruthlessly kills any junkions. He shouldn't be able to stand!!! I like Megatron and I get he's a very, very stubborn and ruthless beast, but even this is pushing it!

So yes, much like the last time, good scenes, good Megatron, sucky premise.

Red Dave Prime
2013-03-16, 02:27 PM
I bet you guys are going to flip out for issue 3. There's an itunes preview and
we got...

Quintessons!!!!

Transformers are like their own fiction - never evolve...

Knightdramon
2013-03-16, 03:25 PM
Quintessons were somewhat hinted at earlier in the fiction. I think they're going to have a role in RID-MTMTE sooner or later.

These itunes previews have started getting on my nerves though. What's the point of releasing a preview with a 300*200 or so page with the letters nearly indistinguishable? :swirly: