PDA

View Full Version : Completely unsubstantiated thought on TF: Go!

Jaynz
2013-03-10, 02:32 PM
In a bit of weirdness Japan has announced that the first ten figures of their new TF:Go line will NOT match up from Hasbro's Beast Hunters line directly. They're going to do something different presumably to both pad out the line as well as to get more toys on the shelves while waiting for Beast Hunters to get dubbed.

This reminds me heavily of the gap Japan had between Beast Wars and Beast Wars: Transmetals. So, on that note, what if the 'new' figures from TF: Go weren't new figures at all, but were rather redecos of older figures - just like BWII took in figures from G2? After all, these are coming out pretty soon and we haven't had a CLUE what they look like...

Anyway, we have a very vague description of G-02, a "Jet with Electronics that can combine with G-01 or G-03" .... since he's also presumably a 'leader' at his price point I can imagine he'll be somewhat vaguely Prime-looking.. so who does that give us? Energon Jetfire.

G-01: Energon Ironhide (electronics, larger size, a bit cheaper than the price point without some sort of add-on)
G-02: Energon Jetfire (electronics, larger size, fits the price point)
G-03: Energon Inferno (no electronics, fits the price point)

(Stretching a little for Ironhide, I admit, but it wouldn't be hard to give him a police deco...)

G-04: BH Ripclaw (confirmed)

What this would also allow is for G-05 through G-10 to be leftover non-show Predacons and other Energon Autobot figures to serve as the filler line. This might also explain the rather odd "Asia Market" Beast Megatron we've seen floating around.

Anyway, just a thought...

inflatable dalek
2013-03-10, 08:15 PM
It's more than plausible. Though the idea of Cybertron trilogy toys being used as old filler just makes me feel... well old.

Jaynz
2013-03-10, 08:25 PM
It's more than plausible. Though the idea of Cybertron trilogy toys being used as old filler just makes me feel... well old.

Nine years now.. which I admit is very weird to think about. Again, I've got really no idea on this, but I would be incredibly surprised at a quintet of new-mold figures being used to pad the BH line without Hasbro having anything on deck as well. This really feels more like BW2 to me.

Cliffjumper
2013-03-10, 09:56 PM
Could well be; but at the same time Asia has got 'exclusive' moulds from both Animated and DotM now; it's not impossible these were intended for both sides of the Pacific but Hasbro just aren't interested, especially as Prime - like those two lines - just doesn't seem to be shifting a huge amount of product.

Jaynz
2013-03-10, 10:20 PM
Could well be; but at the same time Asia has got 'exclusive' moulds from both Animated and DotM now; it's not impossible these were intended for both sides of the Pacific but Hasbro just aren't interested, especially as Prime - like those two lines - just doesn't seem to be shifting a huge amount of product.

True, but we knew about Breakdown's toy, and all the others from Animated and DoTM before hand - Hasbro just decided not to put them out. This would be a case of at least three completely new molds otherwise that managed to be 'super-secret' this long. While not impossible (and indeed it would be a pleasant surprise), it seems unlikely.

Skyquake87
2013-03-11, 09:47 AM
The thought of yet another outing for the mediocre Cybertron moulds isn't filling me with much excitement. Those moulds must be indestructable, they've been pressed into service so often. It doesn't make feel old so much as...again?! I can't see these being as exciting as some of the stuff reused during the Beast Wars II era, which at least added some previously unreleased moulds to the mix, as well as some retools of Beast Era stuff to keep the line fresh.

Knightdramon
2013-03-11, 10:55 AM
Going by BBTS listings, it's an expensive police car, a less expensive airplane and an even less expensive fire truck [which fits the price japanese deluxes fetch for today].

I'm going on a limb here and saying they are new moulds. No matter who I think of, there's nobody that can be passed off as a police car from the leader moulds we've had in the past.

Don't get your hopes up though, they're probably going to be Power Rangers-esque big, chunky, gimmicky and scarcely articulated bots.

Jaynz
2013-03-11, 04:25 PM
Don't get your hopes up though, they're probably going to be Power Rangers-esque big, chunky, gimmicky and scarcely articulated bots.

I don't know if I could say that. Sticking to BW2, BWN, and even Car Robots as examples, the small number of new molds in the lines weren't too bad. BW2 gave us Lio Convoy and Galvatron. BWN gave us Magmatron, big Convoy and a bunch of odd-ball shellforming Maximals. RID gave us Fire Convoy, God Magnus, and the Autobot Shellforming brothers.

Heck, if anything, I would be more worried about new shellformers than anything resembling Power Rangers. :P

Also, Skyquake, keep in mind that Japan didn't get either version of Universe like we did so the reuse of all the UT molds didn't happen there. Heck, most of them didn't even get their original redecos within the series!

Knightdramon
2013-03-11, 05:53 PM
Actually, around 80 percent of CR and BW Neo were new moulds...

You're right, but I'm not holding my hopes up. The last few takara only moulds [Jet vehicon, breakdown and unicron] were pretty decent, these sound too gimmicky though...

EDIT: Hmmm. TF:GO is a celebration line [just before the 30th anniversary]. These three are actually original moulds, a very blurry picture exists of their lineart. It's said that the police car has lights and sounds so it's as expensive, it's not that it's necessarily much bigger than the others. Each has a unique gestalt head.

Hmm...