PDA

View Full Version : One Sided Stories.

inflatable dalek
2013-05-04, 01:43 PM
For my blog this week a major brain fart on my part caused me to describe Shooting Star as the only Marvel story with no Autobots in it, which as Bouncelot pointed out in the comments is totally wrong (Hunting Party [SPOILERS] and the two Two Megatrons issus also qualify, and Fall and Rise has no "proper" named Autobots in it).

Though it did get me thinking about those tales in general that just had characters from the one side in them. Marvel also had a fair few Autobot only stories (Icarus Theory being the earliest) and the common link between most of them, due to there not being the more overt conflict that usually makes the centre of any TF story, is that they tend to be much more character focused. Even a dark comedy story like Making Tracks says a lot more about Grimlock that a more regular issue would get the chance to do.

So do we like these more small scale stories, or do we prefer having representation for both heroes and villains in our tales?

Oddly, all the examples I can think of are from the various comics, I don't think there's much in the TV shows. The original cartoon came close a couple of times, but both Webworld and Dark Awakening feature what are almost contractual obligation appearances from the other team at the start.

Cyberstrike nTo
2013-05-04, 02:18 PM
IMHO the first year of The Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye has been basically an almost Autobot only series with the exceptions of the Overlord sub-plot and the DJD 2-parter and IIRC even Shadowplay featured very few major Decepticons appearances. Cyclonus, the way Roberts has written him so far feels more like (to me at least) Beast Wars Dinobot.

So I guess it depends on the writer and the story s/he is trying to tell and I generally don't care if a story is about one side more than the other, as long as it's good.

Oddly, all the examples I can think of are from the various comics, I don't think there's much in the TV shows. The original cartoon came close a couple of times, but both Webworld and Dark Awakening feature what are almost contractual obligation appearances from the other team at the start.

Episodes like "Webworld" for the Autobots that appeared were just there to set up to show why Motormaster and Swindle are willing to speak up about possibly having a coup to overthrow Galvatron because of his insanity (and IIRC Motormaster and Swindle in "Five Faces of Darkness" were some of the first Decepticons to swear loyality to Galvatron) and why Cyclonus was desperate enough to do what he does.

There a few episodes in season 2 that IMHO were more Decepticon based namely "Triple Takeover" and "Starscream's Brigade" IIRC in both episodes the Autobots first appear about half-way through each.

Season 3 also had:

"Only Human" The Autobots fight a human crime lord who has help from Cobra Commander and is the only episode that I can remember that doesn't have either the Decepticons or the Quintessons as villains.

"Madman's Paradise" Daniel and Grimlock get lost in another dimension and help overthrow an exiled Quintesson wizard.

"Forever Is A Long Time Coming" Blurr, Blaster, and cassettes go back in time and help the Transformers overthrow the Quintessons.

"Money is Everything" Marissa Fairborne and the Technobots battle the Quintessons and the Terrorcons (who are either hired help or they had just been created) on another planet.

Cliffjumper
2013-05-04, 05:07 PM
Most of Masterforce doesn't have any Transformers in it.

Auntie Slag
2013-05-04, 05:18 PM
I think you can have both. Warrior School and The Smelting Pool stories managed this. Tight concentration on Ratchet and Megatron in the one, close ups on Blaster, Scrounge and (kind of) Straxus in the second.

To get that AND a battle in is great, like in Prey, or... its probably unfair to say we have large scale stuff. Does Time Wars count as large scale? I guess that's as big as it gets before it reverts to 'culling because their toys are no longer on the shelf' like The Underbase saga.

Otherwise Transformers seems to be mostly skirmishes and terrorism. G2 made it feel like a different arena!

windsweeper
2014-02-11, 12:09 AM
What about the Marvel story where Megatron fights the Predacons and blows up the space bridge? There were no Autobots in that one.

Cliffjumper
2014-02-13, 07:47 PM
And, IIRC, no Decepticons in the following "Optimus' funeral" one (Mechanical Difficulties?) either. Some of the Earthforce stories probably did the same - the one where Skydive gets confused by a hugely illogical series of events, the one where the Dinobots hide Slag being a psycho, the one where Grimlock tries to kill Tracks, the one where Soundwave gets Wildrider shot, the one where Prowl falls off that satellite...

Plus State Games features no Decepticons. HAI!