PDA

View Full Version : What is the meaning of Half-Life?

Notabot
2013-05-08, 03:27 PM
The game, not the radioactive business.
Gamefly has the Orange Box on sale today for 4.99, and I've heard lots of good things about Half-life but never actually seen it. Is it a genuinely scary/super gory game, or just intense in parts? And should one play Half-Life 1 before 2, or are they pretty independent? And what's Team Fortress 2 all about?

Clay
2013-05-08, 05:49 PM
The gameplay is pretty independent, but if you want to know what the characters are talking about all through Half Life 2, you're better to play Half Life 1 first. Which is fine because it's awesome too.

Gory? Not particularly... I'd say it's about the same or less so than Skyrim in that respect.

Team Fortress 2 is a totally separate game included in the Orange Box bundle. It's multiplayer team deathmatch, from what I remember.

Notabot
2013-05-08, 09:46 PM
I might have to pick that up then. The "Episode One and Two" thing, is that part 1 and 2 of the whole game, or are those sequels? I already have Portal and not interested in multiplayer deathmatches, so I might be able to save a few pennies by just going with their sale on Half-Life 2 by itself. HL1 is still at 10 dollars, but I'm sure it'll go down to dirt cheap eventually again. Plus I've got plenty of other games in my "To Play" pile, so I can wait.
Is there a lot of scary content the kids shouldn't see?

StoneCold Skywarp
2013-05-09, 08:41 AM
They're sequels to the main event, but still pretty epic in their own right and add so much story (the main draw for most to the HL series) that once you'd finished HL2, if you didn't have them, you'd want them straight away.

In terms of "horror" it depends on how tolerant you are towards it. HL2 as a whole, including the episodes, isn't particularly graphically gory. Sure there are Zombine and what not, but it's hard to take seriously as the graphics are starting to be a bit dated.

It's more, to me at least, a horror movie with bad special effects. You're not particularly disturbed by what's on the screen, but you're guaranteed to jump through cheap thrills and your own suspense of what's coming.

Team Fortress 2 has moved on so much from what it was when released as part of the Orange Box that I don't enjoy it anymore. When it was first released it was a standard team deathmatch affair. Pick your favourite style of play and shoot stuff. Now it's all about different loud outs and you don't get that baseline enjoyment anymore as people will always have better stuff than you do.

One thing to note on Steam, if you bought the bundle and already have a particular item it lets you "gift" it to someone else.

Hope this helps a little :)