PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a particular Knockout Toy

Aero Blade
2013-06-18, 02:38 AM
Yeah, so I'm late to the game as far as looking for Prime toys, but couldn't be helped. I've found everything so far I've been after directly from Hasbro, but one item in particular leaves me recoiling a bit to look at - their version of Knockout.

I'm looking for something that looks like the one from the toon (and not the beast hunters latest variation). The body's not too bad, but Hasbro's toy's color scheme is completely off. I've seen pics online the Custom Transformer Toys website of a Knockout that looks perfect, but either I can't navigate their site right, or they don't have any for sale and just show their work. Does anyone know where I can acquire one of these beauties, or one like it?

Skyquake87
2013-06-18, 08:24 AM
Neither the Hasbro nor Takara versions match the animation model in terms of paint applications, both being pretty plain (Hasbro has the Maroon paint mask with some silver splashes, Takara is just red with silver stickers). Which custom site have you been looking at? i looked at customertransformerstoys.com and the owner of the site makes no indication that his work is for sale.

You might want to check out frenzyrumble.com - a reputable customizer whom is open to commissions - just be sure to have a few hundred dollars to spare :)

Aero Blade
2013-06-18, 08:49 AM
If we're going that route, I'll be doing the job myself as an artist :p

I would be interested to know from those who have done it what kind of paint they'd suggest. I've used the kind of enamel paint that's used on model cars of a couple of my own experiments, but the overall results haven't been to my liking.

Denyer
2013-06-18, 06:39 PM
http://tfarchive.com/community/showpost.php?p=716256&postcount=55

Maybe try it on top of another layer?

Aero Blade
2013-06-18, 06:52 PM
Yup, that was exactly my problem. Thanks Denyer :)

Though I now wonder if clear acrylic spray will work, or if it has to be painted on. Anyone know on this?

Denyer
2013-06-18, 06:58 PM
Not been very good with sprays myself, but provided you keep a good distance and stick to short bursts it's the way most people that do miniatures seem to work. And doing a consistent base coat by hand with a brush over quite large areas such as on a TF would be tricky... definitely consider thinning the paint if you're going to try it.

Aero Blade
2013-06-18, 07:39 PM
well I mean acrylic spare for the base coat, so the color layer isn't tacky. I plan to paint by hand, having done this before. Was thinking painting the clear base and then the color might make it a bit thick, that's why I was wondering about spray (plus I already have that on hand)

Aero Blade
2013-06-20, 03:28 AM
Well since I wasn't immediately able to get a hold of a Knockout, I decided to do some more research. Turns out what I thought was looking at a different toy is in fact the difference between Knockout being properly, fully transformed or not. Seems Hasbro left out a few instructions in his transformation. In fact they followed their own instructions and the image posted on the website is the incomplete transformation XD

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-prime-39/transformers-prime-knock-out-review-and-gallery-174769/

Now the one done right looks a lot like the images I was looking at before, but the paint job is definitely different. Most likely what I was looking at was someone's custom repaint of Knockout.

Looking at him how he's supposed to be, the Hasbro-available version of the toy looks perfectly acceptable now. But I think I have been inspired to try repainting him to cartoon status. Thanks again for the tips guys :)

Clay
2013-06-20, 04:00 AM
well I mean acrylic spare for the base coat, so the color layer isn't tacky. I plan to paint by hand, having done this before. Was thinking painting the clear base and then the color might make it a bit thick, that's why I was wondering about spray (plus I already have that on hand)

What kind of clear coat? I use acrylic gloss clear coat made by Modelmaster since it can attach to the airbrush I use as well as brush painting. Overwhelmingly though, I apply it via spray since it gives a nice, even coverage.

Blackjack
2013-06-20, 04:32 AM
This is a particularly great custom of Knock Out:

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86739

Knightdramon
2013-06-20, 09:17 AM
You need some gundam markers. A gold marker, a black/gray one, silver and a base red.

That's what I did to my Knockout. Unfortunately it's in another country so I can't provide pictures at the moment.

There are paint apps on the back of the card that didn't make it to the toy, you can start by copying that. Then, have a look at a cgi lineart of Knockout [possibly from tfwiki.net], and carefully copy what you see. I had to paint his knee parts, around his knee, around his elbow and parts of the shoulder pylons. Add a splash of blue to the tip of his spear if you want, but it's hard because the base colour is black.

That's as much touch-up you can do before having to do something drastic, like painting over his body kit.

Aero Blade
2013-06-20, 05:27 PM
Paint markers, eh? I like that idea very much (I get along much better with my pencils than I do my paintbrushes ;) ) Thanks for the tip Knightdramon