PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up to XBox Live Gold Members

ganon578
2013-06-24, 06:14 PM
Not sure if this is region specific or not, but anyone with Xbox Live Gold Memberships is getting free games for the rest of the year - two per month:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/56844/when-to-expect-your-free-xbox-live-gold-games/

Fable 3 is up right now for free download, and it looks like AC2 and Halo 3 are coming next month, to be released on the 1st and 16th of each month. Free downloads while they are available, and it looks like you get to keep them for basically forever. I already downloaded me some Fable 3!

Just thought I'd spread the word on free games!

The PS3 KILLeR
2013-06-25, 12:07 PM
I've been enjoying it quite a bit. If you can if at all possible play it in co-op, you'll enjoy it far better with a friend. Also each of the free games will be greatest hits, meaning over 1 million sold and if you were to buy them they would be in the silver cases for 19.99 usd. But that's 13 games in all which means it would cost you around 240-260 usd, not a bad thing at all I say! :D

ganon578
2013-06-25, 01:57 PM
I think I'm stuck with playing solo based on the time of day I actually make it onto my machine coupled with the short playing time I have. It's free anyways, so it'll be enjoyable regardless!

It's truly a good deal unless people have already purchased the games, but still, they're free. Trade in your hard copy and DL it! I think Fable 3 is available until the 30th, so each game must be available for 2 weeks once they're up - the one released on the 1st must be available until the 15th, etc.

Do you know if this is like PS+ where the game is available for use as long as you're a Gold member? Or is it a straight up download that allows you to play regardless of your membership if your Gold expires?

Warcry
2013-06-25, 03:09 PM
Do you know if this is like PS+ where the game is available for use as long as you're a Gold member? Or is it a straight up download that allows you to play regardless of your membership if your Gold expires?
I was wondering this as well. I've got several "X free days of Gold" cards sitting around that I've never used because I hate playing online multiplayer against annoying twelve year olds, but if I could turn them into free games that I could keep after the subscriptions expire I'd be all over it and would actually finally redeem them.

ganon578
2013-06-25, 05:28 PM
None of the articles I have seen really describe how it truly works. I know the PS+ games are inactive once you're not a PS+ member anymore, but the way some of the articles read, you basically just have the games forever. That would be pretty great since there's only a few years of life left on the 360, so Gold coverage would eventually die too. Having those games to play offline would be fantastic. And let me know if you need other codes for free Gold days if good games come out. I think I have one or two that I won't be using.

ganon578
2013-06-26, 06:07 PM
Actually if you read the last line of the quote at the end of the page, it says:

"As our way of saying thanks, we're giving all active Gold members two bonus Xbox 360 games each month for the rest of the year," reads a blurb. "Each specially selected, fan-favourite game will be available to download only for a limited time, so grab them before they're gone and keep them no matter what."

'Keep them no matter what' seems to read that you can download them and have them forever regardless of your membership over time. Sounds like a sweet deal!

Sades
2013-06-26, 09:31 PM
Well, damn.

Hmm.

I wonder if it would be worth getting the Xbox fixed/getting a Gold subscription just to DL free games.

Warcry
2013-06-27, 12:56 AM
And let me know if you need other codes for free Gold days if good games come out. I think I have one or two that I won't be using.
Thanks, but it looks like I have six months worth of subscriptions sitting around. If the free games promo is ending at the end of the year, I'm good. :)

'Keep them no matter what' seems to read that you can download them and have them forever regardless of your membership over time. Sounds like a sweet deal!
Sounds good to me! Consider my cards cashed in.

Of course, as soon as I upgraded to Gold I saw that they were offering Perfect Dark to Gold members for 50% off, and I sunk so many hours into that game in high school (my multiplayer avatar had >8 days of play time logged) that I couldn't say no to trying it in HD, so my account is now 400 MS points lighter.

That was their plan all along, wasn't it? Bastards!

Cyberstrike nTo
2013-06-27, 07:46 PM
Well, damn.

Hmm.

I wonder if it would be worth getting the Xbox fixed/getting a Gold subscription just to DL free games.

Depends on the gamer, genre of games that s/he likes, the games, and if a person already has them.

Sades
2013-06-27, 11:18 PM
Depends on the gamer, genre of games that s/he likes, the games, and if a person already has them.

The first thing I thought was- "Well, no shit".

ganon578
2013-06-28, 02:11 PM
"Well, no shit".

That made me chuckle.

Personally I think the whole deal is worth it, unless you already own the titles. But in that case you can just trade in the hard copy to Gamestop or whathaveyou, and get something else. Either way, we're talking ~$20 games for free, and probably around 12-13 titles from now until the end of the year, if you count 2/mo. until December. The titles may be old, but they're still free!

Not that you all aren't relatively well informed, but since I started this thread, I will try to update which games are coming out each month. Fable 3 is only available until the 30th of June. I don't know which one will be coming on the 1st of July, but it will be AC2 or Halo 3. Then the other will be out on the 16th.

ganon578
2013-07-01, 04:42 PM
Apparently the next free game as of today is Defense Grid: The Awakening.

Not terrible excited about this one, but hey, it's still free.

The PS3 KILLeR
2013-07-04, 04:46 AM
Defense grid is a pretty big step down from Assassins creed 2 but hey at least Microsoft is still giving us free stuff! Can't really complain about anything free. :lol:

Cut to someone doing exactly that in 3...2...1...

ganon578
2013-07-16, 04:23 PM
The free game for the next two weeks is Assassin's Creed II, get it from now until the end of July!

It's old, but good quality, and for someone like me who has never played it, free is the best price you can get (unless you count the annual Gold cost).

Warcry
2013-07-16, 04:57 PM
Note to self: download as soon as I get home.

My father-in-law is obsessed with the Assassin's Creed games and thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread, so I've heard a lot of good things about the series. I've never played any but always meant to give it a try.

The PS3 KILLeR
2013-07-28, 10:40 AM
Any idea on what August's first game is? Is it still gonna be halo 3? Cause honestly it wouldn't bother me one bit if it was something else entirely as I already own all the halos. Sorry selfish I know! :P

Cyberstrike nTo
2013-07-28, 06:00 PM
Note to self: download as soon as I get home.

My father-in-law is obsessed with the Assassin's Creed games and thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread, so I've heard a lot of good things about the series. I've never played any but always meant to give it a try.

The first one was OK game and had a very cool concept of DNA memory as kind of time travel. From I read of them the backstory/history gets kind of annoyingly confusing.

ganon578
2013-07-29, 03:19 PM
Any idea on what August's first game is? Is it still gonna be halo 3? Cause honestly it wouldn't bother me one bit if it was something else entirely as I already own all the halos. Sorry selfish I know! :P

Don't have a clue. Too bad there isn't a list of what & when everything will get released. Not that it matters since they are all free, but if I own something on disc that will come out, I can trade it in and download the digital version. When Halo 3 hits, that will be fine with me; I already played through it, but sold back my disc copy a while ago. A free download will be a welcome trip down memory lane.

The PS3 KILLeR
2013-07-31, 01:26 AM
I've got the legendary edition so I'm never getting rid of it. That's my golden rule never trade in collector's editions, and I don't get rid of exclusives so by default Halo3 ain't leaving my collection anytime soon.

ganon578
2013-07-31, 06:02 PM
Looks like tomorrow's game will be Crackdown until the 16th, when it switches to Dead Rising 2 & Case Zero. Not too shabby at all, never played either and free is the best price.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/59461/augusts-free-xbox-gold-games-are-crackdown-dead-rising-2-and-dead-rising-2-case-zero/

Warcry
2013-07-31, 07:20 PM
Heard good things about Crackdown...will have to give that one a spin. Dead Rising...m'eh. Not a zombie person, myself, but I'm sure it'll make lots of folks happy.

The PS3 KILLeR
2013-08-01, 07:21 AM
Yay 2 games I own ( both dr2 and case zero.) and another I used to own (crackdown). Both retail games feature co-op so boot it up and play it a friend! We all know slaying zombies and taking down drug lords are always better with company! Case zero is single player BUT you can beat it 100% all achievements and everything in about 4 hours, it's VERY short. I also recommend you play case zero first as you will gain 5 levels and a few good combo cards that transfer to dr2 , you can not do this after you've started dr2 for the first time.

Edit: downloading crackdown now. Says it features 2-2 multiplayer but no co-op. could have sworn it did. Will test it out and post my results.

ganon578
2013-08-30, 04:33 PM
Updates for the month of September:

Magic: The Gathering 2013 and Rainbow Six: Vegas (http://www.oxm.co.uk/61381/septembers-free-xbox-games-with-gold-magic-the-gathering-2013-and-rainbow-six-vegas/)

Warcry
2013-08-30, 04:54 PM
Interesting. Never played a Rainbow Six game before...will have to try that one out.

A Magic game seems a bit...niche for a big "love us for giving you free games!" promo though, doesn't it?

ganon578
2013-08-30, 06:24 PM
Interesting. Never played a Rainbow Six game before...will have to try that one out.

A Magic game seems a bit...niche for a big "love us for giving you free games!" promo though, doesn't it?

That was the first thing I thought as well. Sure I will download it anyways since it's technically already paid for, but I may never play it, nor do I think I will get into it much.

Rainbow Six interests me as well.

The PS3 KILLeR
2013-09-03, 10:32 AM
That was the first thing I thought as well. Sure I will download it anyways since it's technically already paid for, but I may never play it, nor do I think I will get into it much.

Rainbow Six interests me as well.

I've heard a lot of good thing about magic but it just ain't for me. I like to collect pieces of plastic not pieces of paper. If I'm gonna role play I want it on a tv not a table. But somehow this combines both so ill give it a shot, it free why not eh?

As for rainbow 6... I just freaking bought the game a few months ago for $5 on games on demand. Only beat one level of it mainly due to other things taking my interest. But be fair warned! This game is not easy nor can you rush! if you treat it like Cod or Halo, your gonna have a bad time. Treat it like a strategy game and plan attacks, use stealth, and take your time. Most people who say it suck are cod fanboys who want a rush and run and gun. If you do that you'll live for about 2 seconds. It doesn't suck by any means it just a different flavor. If you don't mind taking your time and doing a lot of trial and error, this game really pays off combat wise.

The PS3 KILLeR
2013-09-09, 07:05 AM
This isn't a monthly gold freebie but World Series of poker is a new free to play poker game only available to gold members. Pretty fun, and this is coming from someone who only really knows how to play blackjack. My poker knowledge is pretty slim to nil but as a free game it's a great time killer! Just thought I'd share.

MikeB
2013-09-24, 05:37 PM
The next free game is Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, starting Oct 1st and I would heartily recommend it. It's somewhere between a match 3 puzzler and a turn based strategy game, which sounds both weird and dull but it really REALLY isn't and as it's free I honestly think any and all of you should give it a go.

One tip if you do get it, grind. You won't need to do too much as the level caps aren't particularly high but it will make a big difference in the final section. I know this is making it sound even more dull but honestly, give it a try.

And no, I don't work for anyone involved in making/distributing the game even though I probably sound like I'm hawking it like a madman...

The PS3 KILLeR
2013-09-25, 03:09 AM
UGH! Last month we got 3 games! 3 awesome games! this month magic and rainbow six... the game on the 16th better be really freaking good and not another arcade game or I'm giving up on Games with gold for good...

MikeB
2013-09-25, 03:02 PM
Really don't understand that attitude. You've presumably already paid for your gold subscription, why "give up" on what are subsequently free games?

Completely understand you being disgruntled by the games choice, they're almost all old and there's nothing spectacular, though I don't think you should be put off by some of them being XBLA games as there have been some real gems (Clash of Heroes being one such item).

That being said, refusing to accept any further games in spite of you basically already having paid for them on the basis of not liking some of the previous ones just doesn't make sense to me.

ganon578
2013-09-25, 05:02 PM
Really don't understand that attitude. You've presumably already paid for your gold subscription, why "give up" on what are subsequently free games?

Completely understand you being disgruntled by the games choice, they're almost all old and there's nothing spectacular, though I don't think you should be put off by some of them being XBLA games as there have been some real gems (Clash of Heroes being one such item).

That being said, refusing to accept any further games in spite of you basically already having paid for them on the basis of not liking some of the previous ones just doesn't make sense to me.

I second that. They're already paid for, technically, so why not download them? All it does is consume hard drive space. Which, if you have a 250 GB like I do, isn't getting full anytime soon.

Personally, I have only had my 360 for about 3 years. So a lot of these games, old as they may be, are still new to me. I would imagine that's more of Microsoft's angle - getting new or recent owners hooked into continuing Gold membership with the lure of free games. People who have been day one owners have probably already played these titles, or own them already. Microsoft isn't really in the business to give away brand new triple-A titles. That just doesn't make business sense.

Plus, if you already own a copy of one of these games, to me it just makes sense to download the 'free' one and sell back your hard copy for trade value. So in a sense you're still winning out.

The PS3 KILLeR
2013-09-26, 12:40 AM
When did I say I wouldn't download them? Settle down people and hold your horses!!!

Let me explain! We are getting crapped on with these games. Games for gold as a service is a failure when next to PS plus. EU PS plus get freaking FarCry 3!! we get card games and shooters so old they were almost launch titles. When I said "I give up" I meant on getting anything worth celebrating over. Sure these games are fine if you've never played them. But for someone who has had a 360 since Feb 07, I've played all these before.

This is a personal issue yes, but when I look at what we get and what PS plus gets I feel with rage! And before you call me a PS fanboy or anything Gannon should know first hand from my posts I'm an xbox guy to the core and I've an xbox one preordered and I did that before the 180s! Sure we get free games but for the past two months it's been "leftovers".

I sure this new arcade game is awesome like you say it is, but it's just an arcade game. Month after month PS plus gets awesome game after awesome game, and while we had a great month with DR2 and Crackdown, nothing has stacked up since.

If you didn't know we only have this service until the end of the year. In 2014 there will be no more free game with gold, read the fine print. I for one was hoping for the service to highlight Hidden gems or be stuff a lot of people missed, not old but good stuff almost everybody bought back in the day. Most of the games we've gotten are less than 10 bucks used or even around 10 bucks on arcade. That's what your 60 bucks gets you: online multiplayer, app paywalls, and games that are dirt cheap anyways.

I'm sorry if I upset you with my comment, I meant no disrespect to you are the game you were talking about. I'm just tired of hearing "this week (random old game that you've most likely played) is free on xbox live". IMO this service needs to step it up or else it will be counted as yet another Microsoft failure this year. As a MS fan it hurts to type those words but it's true, they have screwed up so much in the last 6th months it's not even funny anymore.

I giving up on hope of getting a top notch AAA game from this service. That doesn't mean we won't see awesome games out of this, just nothing like saints row the third or FarCry 3. I will still download anythimg I don't already own, don't worry! As for trading in the ones I do, I like to keep a collection so thats not an option for me. Plus most of em would be worth less than a dollar anyways.

Sorry if this comes off as rage filled and hostile, this is not towards either of you! I'm letting out my feeling about this service... oh first world problems. Please don't take this as an attack, cause it is far from it.

MikeB
2013-09-26, 10:20 AM
Chill, I'm neither offended nor upset nor thinking that you're a fanboy of any description! I'm just puzzled by your reaction.

The bit that makes it sound like you aren't going to carry on trying the games is this bit:-

UGH! Last month we got 3 games! 3 awesome games! this month magic and rainbow six... the game on the 16th better be really freaking good and not another arcade game or I'm giving up on Games with gold for good...

"I'm giving up on Games with gold for good" is hard to take as anything other than... you're giving up on games with gold. For good.

Or am I missing something? ;)

On your other comments, I completely agree that it isn't a patch on the PSN effort, but I would put forward the argument that Sony needed something special to justify the cost of PSN+ after there was so much effort put into slating Microsoft charging for gold membership when they were offering a free service. Once they saw that Microsoft were making a shedload of money from it they would want to come up with something similar, but needed to offer more to make it enticing. The consumer wins on that one...

Incidentally though...

I for one was hoping for the service to highlight Hidden gems

I'd very much argue that Clash of Champions fits that brief. It's a genuinely good game which I suspect won't have sold well at all. I also think that just because a game is released on XBLA rather than disk shouldn't be a mark on it's quality. For example Virtua Fighter 5, Fez, Shadow Complex, Braid, The Walking Dead, Trials HD/Revolution, Limbo, Mark of the Ninja (just to name some of the games I've played) are all genuinely good games and easily up there with the so called AAA titles in terms of fun and longevity, with Walking Dead in particular being a Game of the Year contender and subsequently getting packaged as a retail release...

Anyway, don't worry, I'm not taking your attitude as hostile, I'm not accusing you of any fanboy leanings, was genuinely just puzzled at the idea of rejecting stuff you've basically already paid for on grounds other than not liking the games being offered... :)

The PS3 KILLeR
2013-09-26, 04:40 PM
Good glad we cleared that up! :D For the record I own: Xbox 360, PS3, PsVita, Wii U, and soon to be 3DS and Xbox one. My point? I love games of any kind! I will download the "new" game(s) for sure, if I don't already own them. I was just simply saying PS plus has way better deals, a $60 AAA title Vs. a $10-15 arcade title, PS plus is a far better value. Do they need it to keep up? In my mind they do.

Have both systems and playing online on both I can say xbox live is far better in everything on PSN except those free games. I honestly hate playing online on my PS3 or vita. It takes far too long to find matches, most of the time the P2P connections are crap, and after all the hacks I just don't trust PSN.

I've played the same game, Call of Duty World at War, on PS3 and 360 back to back for 1 hour each just to see IF there was a difference. And even my hardcore sony friend said Live was better! He has since gotten a 360 and is on the fence about xbox one or PS4. He's doing the smart thing, just waiting to see which one is better like hardware failure rates and just how the games feel. Call me blind, but man I can't wait for my xbox one come November 22nd! :lol:

Since sony plans to charge people for PSN online play with PS4, they best step up their game and improve the service. Sure Killzone looks down right orgasmic, but if I can't play online because the host has a crappy connection then why waste the $50 a year? At least with the xbox one MS is adding 300,000 servers to beef up live, and EVERY game will have dedicated servers. I heard that I was sold!

I hope MS extends the games with gold service beyond this year. If not then at least send it out with a bang ya know? And for all the people who think PS plus will still be what it is now on PS4, maybe you should rethink that. Do you guys honestly think they are gonna give away AAA games for at least the first few years? All they will possibly give away is Indie games and free to play models, just look at the 2 free games at launch, resogun and driveclub PS plus edition. An Indie game and a glorified demo! (sorry this rant comes from comments from IGN and YouTube)

Basicly what I'm trying to say is, I was hoping for something bigger out of this but at least we don't need them to feel secure in paying for the service. Think of them as bonuses, and at least we get to keep them if we don't renew gold thats a plus! (see what I did there?) I love what PS plus is doing with free games but the fact I can't keep them and my hard drive on my PS3 is less than 10 gigs now, just really turns me away from the service.

Why do I keep writing novels as replys? Nobody wants to read this crap...

ganon578
2013-09-30, 04:43 PM
Halo 3 is the next one up on October 16th:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/63310/halo-3-is-octobers-second-free-xbox-game/

Very old, but a worthwhile download in my opinion. I don't own it anymore, so it'll be nice to have in digital format.

The PS3 KILLeR
2013-10-18, 12:27 PM
Games with gold has been extended Indefinitely!!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/18/xbox-360-games-with-gold-promotion-extended-indefinitely

Now if they bring this to Xbox One I'll be on happy camper! :D

Cyberstrike nTo
2013-10-18, 03:56 PM
The problem with the free games on PSN is you have to have and keep a PS Plus account if you fail to renew your PS Plus account you can't play the games you've downloaded. From what I read about the Xbox 360 Games with Gold while you need a gold account to download the game you can still play them even if you don't renew a gold account.

The PS3 KILLeR
2013-10-18, 04:24 PM
The problem with the free games on PSN is you have to have and keep a PS Plus account if you fail to renew your PS Plus account you can't play the games you've downloaded. From what I read about the Xbox 360 Games with Gold while you need a gold account to download the game you can still play them even if you don't renew a gold account.

Yep! and Major Nelson pointed out that once there is a free gold weekend in your area you can download the game that's free at the time and keep it forever even if you never pay for gold! Pretty nice I think.

ganon578
2013-10-18, 04:41 PM
By the way, along with Halo 3, go into the add-ons section for the game. You can pick up the Heroic Map Pack and the Cold Storage Map for free as well.

ganon578
2013-11-04, 06:15 PM
New games available this month:

A World of Keflings (Nov. 1 - Nov. 15)
Iron Brigade (Nov. 16 - Nov. 30)

I don't have either, and I do have HDD space, so both of these are a DL for me.

The PS3 KILLeR
2013-11-15, 02:28 AM
http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/700/7139/original.jpg

YAY! Games with Gold coming to Xbox One! Woot! Free indie games most likely... whenever it starts.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/free-games-for-gold-coming-to-xbox-one

ganon578
2014-03-31, 05:44 PM
Long dormant on posts, but I figured I'd update:

April's GwG for 360:

Hitman: Absolution
Deadlight

Microsoft is going quite heavy on the zombie games, eh? We've already seen Dead Island, Dead Rising 2 & Case Zero, and now Deadlight.

I really dislike bitching about 'free' games, but I must say I haven't been terribly impressed with what GwG has been delivering. Very different programs, but I'm more impressed with the lineup that PS+ members get. Meh, I'll still DL them anyways.

ganon578
2014-04-30, 04:58 PM
Good games for May: Dust: An Elysian Tail & Saints Row: The Third (http://www.totalxbox.com/75801/free-xbox-games-with-gold-for-may-saints-row-3-and-dust-an-elysian-tail/)

ganon578
2014-06-11, 02:19 PM
Three game month this time around! (http://www.totalxbox.com/76398/junes-free-xbox-360-games-with-gold-confirmed/)

If you fancy brutal difficulty but a good payoff, Dark Souls is available now.

Coming later is Charlie Murder and a bonus third game of Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition.

ganon578
2014-08-28, 04:50 PM
Missed two months, but here's an update (http://www.totalxbox.com/52582/features/free-xbox-games-the-best-downloadables-you-can-play-for-nothing/):

By the way, you can still get Dishonored right now until the end of August. Haven't played it yet, but I hear it's an ace game.

Sept. 1-15th: Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine. Don't know anything about it, but it's free and it seems cool.

Bigger hitter on the second half, Sept. 16-30th: Halo: Reach. One of my favorites, but kind of irked by this release. A couple months ago this was on sale for $10, so I bought it via download on Live (as well as Halo Wars for $5). Not that much cash, but it's more than free. Microsoft has an odd way of putting things on sale, then a few weeks or a couple months later putting them up for free or an even better sale. Weird.

And it's basically the reason I have not bought Halo 3: ODST from Live yet. My guess is they may put that one up for free when Halo 5 comes closer for the X1.

Dead Man Wade
2014-09-11, 06:30 PM
I've been fairly impressed with the whole thing up to now. When they started it, I'd been worried that it was all going to be garbage shooters and big-name releases, but they've done a really good job of mixing it up with some really interesting surprises.

I'm really excited for Monaco, as I recall no small amount of buzz when it came out, and Saints Row managed to hold my attention longer than most similar games.

ganon578
2014-09-19, 10:43 PM
Yeah, the deal as a whole isn't bad. There's always going to be opinions on whether which games should be in or out, but it really comes down to individual tastes and what you already have in your collection. Do I have any interest in Magic: The Gathering Duel of the Plainswalkers 2013? Nope. But it's free so I'll download it anyways and try it out. I can always delete it!

Plus, if you're paying for Gold anyways to pay online (like I do for the Halos), there surely isn't anything bad about getting two free games a month, even if you don't have any desire to play certain titles. $60/year for 24 games/year isn't anything to scoff at - that's $2.50/game. :up:

ganon578
2014-09-26, 05:21 PM
Just broke into some elation with the reveals on 360 for October (http://www.totalxbox.com/52582/features/free-xbox-games-the-best-downloadables-you-can-play-for-nothing/):

Oct. 1st - Oct. 15th: Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Oct. 16th - Oct. 31st: Darksiders 2

All that elation goes to Darksiders 2. Bad Company 2 is surely a nice addition, but I've been longing to add Darksiders 2 to my 360 collection since I finished it on the PS3 a while back (but prefer the 360 controller) and it quickly became one of my all time faves. I had added Darksiders 1 to my collection a few weeks back on a $5 sale, so being able to complete the set for $5 total makes me super happy!