PDA

View Full Version : [FoC] Generations Toy Series so far

HotShot81
2013-07-19, 12:07 PM
As of now I have 3 of the Generations series Transformers in my collection.

Grimlock
Jazz
Blitzwing

All of them seem to have one universal problem. They all seem thin and light.

Don't get me wrong, all of them are actuate to the game(s) they are from. However, with Metroplex coming out soon, and I am toying with the idea (pardon the pun) of getting Shockwave. I can't help but wonder if someone needs to show the folks at Hasbro an old G1 Transformer, or even the DOTM series. Where the Transformers felt more solid.

I dunno' maybe it's time I do some nerd stuff. measure height/weight of the bots and do an old density test to see if its just me, or are newer bots made of less plastic.

Skyquake87
2013-07-19, 07:32 PM
I would be interested if you do this!

There is some change to the plastics. The Generations FoC toys feel almost like knock offs. It's really odd that they feel so different to the Prime toys (which also have their problems).

Knightdramon
2013-07-19, 09:31 PM
:lol: Don't know if you can qualify the G1 or DOTM toys as "solid". Something from the previous Generations line, Universe, Animated, ROTF or Cybertron perhaps?

No need for density and whatnot tests, just weight the figures. Weight a FOC figure [with all accessories strapped on it] and weight a figure of a previous line.

I recall a scary picture months ago that had Energon Brawl [the basic tank from the bruticus set] on a scale with FOC Brawl [a DELUXE figure] and the energon figure, one size class down, was heavier.

Anything besides hard, cold data [weight, in this instance] I just treat as gibberish.

Years ago, during Universe [08-09] I had a friend from the US bulk order and buy me tons of stuff. Since I wanted them all loose and due to an agreement he kept them for a month, I told him it's perfectly fine to play around with them if he wants to. One of these figures was Blades [an excellent red redeco of Cybertron Evac]. Upon handling it, he said the plastic felt cheap.

A month later, I get the figures, fiddle around with them, and play with the dreaded cheap Blades. And you know what? He was perfectly fine. Didn't feel cheap at all. Felt even more robust than other figures in his wave.

Many toy companies change their plastic mix. Bandai "degraded" all of their MG model kits from rough ABS plastic to another form of cheaper, less durable plastic. You'd think if bandai did it to keep their profits up for their 50USD plus model kits, hasbro won't do it for their 15 USD figures?

Skyquake87
2013-07-20, 05:49 AM
I have Blades. He does feel a little different to Evac and everso slightly less solid, but he's still great.

The plastic thing's a funny one, as it seems to vary across the different lines. Certainly the FoC stuff feels miles apart from the concurrent Prime toys in terms of quality and the way it feels. The Prime stuff, although developing stress marks (hello Voyager Skyquake), feels pretty solid and tough and there's a bit of a sheen to the plastics. They feel good. By comparrison, the FoC Gen toys feel rough, papery and lightweight and are quite dull and flat looking.

Thunderwave
2013-07-20, 11:36 AM
Also if you haven't gotten a newer Generations figure, I think they've changed the plastic from the stuff they where using for FoC. Springer, Sandstorm, and Blitzwing all feel less...off then the old FoC toys. Even Roadbuster, who I'm hoping to steal his head and plop it on Deluxe Bulkhead from Beast Hunters, feels different from Swindle.

Blackjack
2013-07-20, 06:12 PM
I don't know, I think it was around the very early waves of Generations that the light-feeling plastic appeared. Only having Shockwave and Kickback from that era... who, while are light, are themselves of relatively slender build and doesn't really compare well.

The Combaticons I own are the G2-colored one, and I'm pretty sure they match up to the standards of past toys. They feel relatively light, but I don't think it's the fault of the plastic -- more the fault of the molds. Most of them are very... hollow where on other toys would probably be more solid. Blast Off in particular is guilty of this.

Not really sure, though... never really paid that much attention to plastic quality other than stress marks or whatever.

Denyer
2013-07-20, 06:47 PM
Yeah, there's a lot of honeycombing in, say, the thighs on FoC Starscream. You don't get solid parts so much any more.

Thunderwave
2013-07-20, 07:51 PM
Honeycombing is okay as long as the design over all doesn't suffer. I'd rather see that then making the figures smaller again or reverting to thinner plastic.

Denyer
2013-07-20, 08:42 PM
The Prime stuff, although developing stress marks (hello Voyager Skyquake), feels pretty solid and tough
Yeah, impressed with BH Wheeljack. The plastic doesn't have that slightly murky and translucent finish that's marred some FoC figures and a lot of the movie stuff.

HotShot81
2013-08-08, 05:09 PM
Well here are the results of the study so far, and if my sister will loan me Animated Blitzwing, he will join it.

Animate

Jazz: 0.3 Lbs.
Grimlock: 0.7 Lbs.

Generations

Jazz: 0.2 Lbs.
Grimlock: 0.5 Lbs.

So far its only 0.1-0.2 Lbs. difference, but the prices are higher than the Animated ones.