PDA

View Full Version : Has Microsoft ever given you a decent solution?

Notabot
2013-07-27, 08:09 PM
I don't want this to turn into a "MS SUXXXX" thread, but I'm curious if anyone has ever received a valid, informative, working solution when Windows reports a problem. In my experience, I've either received the "No solution available" message, or something ridiculously simple like "Make sure you're connected to the internet". Have you ever actually solved a problem with their suggested solution?

Denyer
2013-07-27, 09:13 PM
I think on one or two occasions updating drivers has been recommended, and did improve things. Can't remember which machines were involved or whether it's the same reporting mechanism you're talking about, though.

More often I run into corner cases like this at work a couple of weeks ago:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2638018

On a personal machine, it'd be less hassle because I'd do a clean install. Instead you find yourself throwing slightly arcane potential solutions at the problem first (running new explorer windows in separate processes, turning off thumbnailing, replacing graphics drivers, turning on DEP for everything, etc) and finally setting up user mode dumps and running them through windbg, because you don't have that luxury.

Explorer's never been the most stable thing but by providing developers with the flexibility to hook into it and then not capturing relevant information where it'd be useful (i.e. the event logging system) it can be a nightmare to troubleshoot.