PDA

View Full Version : Swoop G1, good or bad deal?

HotShot81
2013-08-02, 03:00 PM
I was picking up Metroplex from my dealer yesterday. Yes, I use the word dealer given how he's usually my goto guy for "must haves" for my collection.

He's got a Swoop G1, sealed in the box. Because I am an active customer there, he's offering me him for $80 cash. Good or bad deal?

The Reverend
2013-08-02, 04:33 PM
Loose samples are often found with broken beak or wear along the torso halves. $80 sealed isn't a bad deal by any means, although I'd check the packaging and be sure it isn't a reverse-engineered Chinese version.

Cliffjumper
2013-08-02, 05:42 PM
That sounds more likely as loose unbroken Swoops go for more than that, let alone MISB.

However, the G1 repros are generally good quality and are basically indistinguishable from the real thing. If you're buying it to have a Swoop rather than a valuable to resell it'll do the job and $80 isn't too bad a price.

HotShot81
2013-08-07, 01:53 AM
I chose to buy the Swoop, and I am looking him over, and I am noticing something.
On the box Swoop's beak is and feet (in beast mode) are chromed. While the one I have those features are red.

Just for the record he is still in cardboard with a plastic bubble around him.

Is this a legit one, or did I pay $80 for a copy, fake, ect?

Skyquake87
2013-08-07, 04:42 AM
Possibly a KO, TFU.info shows Swoop to have red feet.

http://www.tfu.info/1985/Autobot/Swoop/swoop.htm

HotShot81
2013-08-07, 10:51 AM
Actually he matchs the one on TFU.info..

Warcry
2013-08-07, 03:09 PM
Is this a legit one, or did I pay $80 for a copy, fake, ect?
This review (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-reviews/128432-ko-swoop-review-comparison.html) could help you figure out whether you've got the real version or the KO (unless they've come out with yet another version of the KO since then...).

For the price you paid I'd assume it's a knockoff, but who knows? And like Cliffjumper said, you really can't tell the difference between most of the Chinese repros and the originals unless you know exactly what to look for because the quality is very good.

Skyquake87
2013-08-07, 03:55 PM
Actually he matchs the one on TFU.info..

So he doesn't have chromed feet then? :S

The original is as pictured on TFU.info, plastic red beast feet. The easiest way to spot if you have a chinese KO is by checking the packaging. The yellow 'burst' is generally much more solid, the red used on the box slightly more cherry and the 'grid' design isn't correctly aligned and on some of these, the character art doesn't reach the edges of the box as it should.

HotShot81
2013-08-07, 05:32 PM
Actually used this site (http://highendtfs.com/images/idguide/swoopidguide.jpg) to help me ID. It was a fake sadly, but at least my dealer is being honest, and is willing to take him back.

I view fakes like they do on Pawn Stars, never accept them. As I sell and trade my collection, I don't want one fake in it, even if it means I don't have it in my collection.

Denyer
2013-08-07, 06:43 PM
"Fake" really starts to lose meaning when people have the moulds.

HotShot81
2013-08-07, 07:45 PM
Denyer,
a load of people have access to moulds, but fakes are cheaper in quality than the originals. If it was $10-$15, I'd be happy. $80, I'll buy the original. Either way it goes back tomorrow.

Cliffjumper
2013-08-07, 08:59 PM
Good luck finding an original MISB Swoop for $80...

Denyer
2013-08-07, 09:17 PM
fakes are cheaper in quality than the originals
Varies. The quality control's a bit less guaranteed, but the quality on originals isn't either -- even without a few decades added on.

It's interesting that when we talk about mass-produced items with not much inherent value that a date still gets invested with it. Similar's true even of two identical items when people are told one's authentic and one isn't.

Cliffjumper
2013-08-07, 09:58 PM
Personally I don't consider my Chinese Wheeljack/Sunstreaker/Mirage to be any less kosher than, say, Commemorative Series/TF Collection/Encore figures; same principle, possibly even the same factories; one's been rubber stamped by one set of profiteers, one by another group.

Actually I'd put them above things like Encore Trailbreaker or Collection Soundwave where Takara dicked the figures around, and TBH none of my 'fakes' have had the massive moulding issues the Encore Onebox Brothers have.

HotShot81
2013-08-07, 10:07 PM
Good luck finding an original MISB Swoop for $80...

The box is just gravy to me.

HotShot81
2013-08-07, 10:10 PM
Varies. The quality control's a bit less guaranteed, but the quality on originals isn't either -- even without a few decades added on.

It's interesting that when we talk about mass-produced items with not much inherent value that a date still gets invested with it. Similar's true even of two identical items when people are told one's authentic and one isn't.

I'll agree with you, god knows sometimes the cheaper stuff is better than the high end stuff.

Collection wise, an original Swoop from the 80s will have more value than a fake any day.

Skyquake87
2013-08-08, 08:18 AM
Depends what you're buying the figure for, I guess. Like Cliffjumper, I have the Chinese repros of Mirage and Wheeljack and I also have the repro Reflector set and they are as good as the originals and work for me. I bought them as complete vintage examples were cost prohibitive for me and as they used the original moulds / were engineered from original toys they work for me. Mind you, I haven't paid more than 30 for any of these, so I'd probably feel differently if i'd paid $80!

If i was collecting as an investment, then yeah, these things are worthless - although judging by ebay, they still go for as much as a loose original will fetch!

Cliffjumper
2013-08-08, 04:30 PM
The thing for me is that the Diaclone figures are best enjoyed mint and complete, and that could cost a quite stupid amount of money, paying a tenner a time for Sunstreaker fists or Hound's gas can, and you'd still end up with one with tatty stickers and dull chrome. Reissues, official or unofficial (and with the rise of third party toys surely that line is blurring more and more) are cheaper, better condition, easier to buy and more fun (because you're less terrified of breaking the things). The only thing the originals have going for them is the ephemeral knowledge that they're original (most likely you'd be the only person to physically see them who'd be able to or care enough to differentiate) and resale value.

And I've never really bought toys for myself with much of an eye on their resale value. If it's a line of business for someone, great. If you're a fan and you're worried about the resale value of your own collection, you're doing it wrong.

HotShot81
2013-08-08, 05:10 PM
Reissues I am fine with, because then A) they are legit, and B) They look original, and are done right. Heck, I have a reissued Hoist in my collection.

A fake, and a fake with mistakes for $80, I was taken for a ride, and its a curse.:P

Denyer
2013-08-08, 08:08 PM
The price and packaging condition are immediate giveaways in most cases.

Loose can be trickier... the reissues stand out on releases that have been modified due to safety laws. Some KOs (eg, the cassettes that did the rounds a few years back) are a bit looser and the plastic finish is different, or there are deliberate changes. But wear and/or discolouration -- or lack of -- are still likely to be good indicators.

inflatable dalek
2013-08-08, 10:03 PM
In fairness, if it was being sold as an original toy HotShot has a right to be annoyed, even if it was a mistake on the shop's part (thought like Cliffy says, with these things proliferating that's going to be more and more of a problem for people for whom it is a problem).

They look original, and are done right. Heck, I have a reissued Hoist in my collection.

Not sure about the earlier reissues but the more recent Encore Hoist has blue eyes, so he's less accurate to the the original than bootey Swoop is. Increasingly more and more of the reissues have changes made to them even if they're only small.

Which was the last reissue to faithfully reproduce the slap on stickers rather than have pre-applied versions?

A fake, and a fake with mistakes for $80, I was taken for a ride, and its a curse.:P

And that's your prerogative of course, but you are basically missing out on a cheap version of the toy that's identical to what the reissue Hasbro keep telling us they'll never make would be like.

I've got an original Swoop that cost me about 70 ish, and whilst I love the little fellow his knees bend forward enough for him to self-felate.