PDA

View Full Version : Predaking worth it?

HotShot81
2013-08-29, 09:37 PM
As part of the Generations line, there is *gasp* Predaking.

A local guy is selling them at $200 a pop. I am wondering if anyone has him, and if Predaking is worth $199+tx?

The Reverend
2013-08-30, 01:05 AM
Do you mean the latest G1 reissue (Platinum Series)?
Seems to me that's just $120 for BBTS preorder, but I could be wrong.

HotShot81
2013-08-30, 01:13 AM
That's the one. I always accept local guys have a minor mark up, but $80 pre-tax is a little on the steep side. I might try to shop around, see if I can get free S&H to Canada, if I throw another bot or two into the mix.

The Reverend
2013-08-30, 01:21 AM
Well, G1 Predaking isn't a bad combiner. I don't know how fond you are of the idea of a team of orangey-yellow beasties running about (always seemed a little iffy to me), but as the G1 combiners go he's easily the best in terms of articulation, and he doesn't have the visible flaws of some of the others (Superion's chicken legs, Menasor's toothpick shoulders, you know).

The new paint job (switching gold in for yellow) I can't speak to as I haven't seen it in person. The photos do look nice.

Skyquake87
2013-08-30, 06:57 AM
The G1 Predacons are great big blocks though. They are very crude and simplistic and very much feel like a Scramble City combiner team thats been oversized. I don't know if this latest reissue features die cast, but if it does, watch out for Headstrong - his enitre beast mode back is die cast which makes if difficult for him to stand in robot mode.

Predaking is impressive, size wise as he towers over all the other G1 combiners. His articulation isn't that much better than any of his contemporaries - he can move his arms, the wrists swivel and he does have a swivelling waist.

Razorclaw makes for an odd torso - it sits slightly back from the legs and he is a shade too small making the gestalt look a shade misproportioned.

If you like the '86 Movie toys and their aesthetic, then the Predacons slot right in with them and are no worse than a lot of other late-G1 toys, but they are one of the few toys of that era whose animation models are more detailed and impressive looking than the actual toys.

Tetsuro
2013-08-31, 04:03 PM
his enitre beast mode back is die cast which makes if difficult for him to stand in robot mode.
Even with the support piece?

Skyquake87
2013-09-01, 08:26 AM
What, standing him in Preadking's foot so he looks like he's got a massive orthopedic shoe on? The only way I managed it was by putting weapons in both arms and having them constantly outstretched :)

Thunderwave
2013-09-01, 10:54 AM
I always found it amusing that Razorclaw can't reach past his own torso. He's got little stubby t-rex arms.

The Reverend
2013-09-01, 09:49 PM
Predaking's got some elbow movement as well, right? Seems to me he does. Been a while since I took those guys out of their box.

Cliffjumper
2013-09-01, 10:33 PM
A collection of multi-coloured hollow boxes with animal parts hanging off them. If it had come out as part of Power Rangers you'd all piss yourselves looking at him. Also isn't particularly cool in "Call of the Primitives" - better to stand and die like a bitch in two seconds flat than run, right rhino guy who's either Headstrong or Tantrum but no-one really cares as you're basically exactly the same?

Clay
2013-09-02, 03:45 AM
HEY!

They're not hollow...

The Reverend
2013-09-02, 10:14 PM
There's always the Terrorcons. The alt-modes aren't bad and Abominus is no worse than any other G1 combiner. The individual robot modes are horrible, though.

That said, Blot > Mr. Moto.

Warcry
2013-09-04, 03:21 AM
rhino guy who's either Headstrong or Tantrum but no-one really cares as you're basically exactly the same?
I thought I was the only one!

I've always thought the Predacons were objectively horrible, but at the same time they have a weird kitchy charm to them. Blocky, bright-coloured animals that combine into a big guy with a sword are everything about 80s robots summed up into a single figure. I'd love to have a Predaking but at the same time I'd never even think of paying what Predaking seems to sell for. If Predaking winds up haunting BBTS's stock room the way Piranacon has, though, I might buy him when they slash the price by $40 or so...

Tetsuro
2013-09-06, 07:12 PM
What, standing him in Preadking's foot so he looks like he's got a massive orthopedic shoe on? The only way I managed it was by putting weapons in both arms and having them constantly outstretched :)
No. I mean the little plastic tab at the bottom of his feet that balance him in robot mode.

Cliffjumper
2013-09-10, 10:41 PM
Blocky, bright-coloured animals that combine into a big guy with a sword are everything about 80s robots summed up into a single figure.

That's kind of the nub of the problem for me. He's just a cheap, crappy, underengineered Gokin that happened to have a certain brand slapped on him; said brand has a collective of one-eyed idiots who'll lust after him and pay good money for him because a certain trademark's been put on it with no idea of how much better the idea has been done.

Again, if he'd been a Gobot or a Zord he'd be a joke, but he's got the magic HasTak stamp so he gets a pass because he's so "unique". All this despite only having three basic personalities (and three basic transformation patterns) among five members.

The Reverend
2013-09-11, 08:31 PM
Pbbbt, Great Mazinger had two swords and looked better without being a combiner... but that's 70s, right?